Print Columns   |   Web Chats   |   Blog Archives   |

Footnote on Oldies Song Contest: Why WBIG Chose "Shout!"

Nobody here guessed that WBIG would end its era as an oldies station with the Isley Brothers' classic, "Shout!"

And now it can be told why the station chose that song to usher out the oldies era:

The station's former boss, Steve Allan, recalls the key fact--when WBIG first debuted as an oldies station in 1993, the very first song it played was...."Shout!"

"Too subtle for the room, to be sure, but a nice touch for the end of an era," Steve says.

And now you know.

By Marc Fisher |  April 4, 2006; 4:20 PM ET
Previous: Lesson #1 From the Final Four: Big Game, Easy Ticket | Next: Built On A Swamp and Other Myths of D.C.

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

But couldn't it be argued that WBIG stopped being an "oldies" station when they switched to "big hits of the 60s and 70s" several months ago? After all, that's when they stopped calling themselves "Oldies 100" and started playing songs by Billy Joel ("Uptown Girl" may be a tribute to the Four Seasons, but it is NOT an oldie).

Looked at it that way, they've really just moved forward another decade, is all.

Posted by: ZachBG | April 4, 2006 4:35 PM

I was really disappointed to hear the format change today. I can't imagine why the DC area needs two stations that play "Stairway to Heaven." Sign me up for XM with tons of Motown and soul stations.

Posted by: anne | April 4, 2006 9:02 PM

"Shout" has got to be the most annoying song ever written, right ahead of '100 Bottles of Beer On the Wall.' I was a Big Oldies fan up until Tuesday and have that station on my home and car radioes. However, whenever 'Shout' came on the air I'd turn the volume down for about 20 minutes. Hate it, hate it, hate it. Try sitting in rush hour traffic with that damned song yammering on and on forever.

Posted by: styrofoam peanuts | April 5, 2006 2:03 PM

Here's the official response I got when I complained:

"Thanks for your feedback about the New BIG 100.3.

As measured by ratings, WBIG was not a healthy radio station. If we'd had more passionate listeners like you, we would have remained the same.

We hope that you'll give the station a try - but if it's not to your liking, we do still broadcast 50's and 60's Oldies on WBIG's HD-2 channel and online at: http://www.wbig.com/cc-common/hdradio/. Unlike satellite radio, HD Radio is free and at the moment, has no commercials. You can now buy HD radios at several local retailers like Myer-Emco, or listen online at the above link.

We appreciate you taking the time to write. I'll pass your thoughts to our management team.

Mark Lapidus
Marketing Director
BIG 100.3"

Posted by: William | April 5, 2006 3:14 PM

speak of oldies, I've not seen any mention today on the Post web site about Gene Pitney dying. It's all over the BBC and AP. What gives with the Post?

Posted by: ralph | April 5, 2006 5:16 PM

William - thanks for the link - listening to some oldies now...sweet!

Ralph - uhh...they did http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/05/AR2006040500599.html
Wednesday, April 5, 2006; 8:24 AM (about 8 hours before your post)

Posted by: HP | April 5, 2006 11:05 PM

I remember the Oldies 100.3 debut with "Shout" all too well. The 100.3 spot on the dial was "Jazzy 100" playing the smooth jazz we now associate with 105.9. It was good office music before the days of CD's in the D drive or IPODs. Imagine the office when a smooth jazz set finished only to be followed by, without any announcement, an amplified version of "Shout". Woke my boss up.

Posted by: Paul | April 5, 2006 11:13 PM

Since WBIG was already playing music from the '80s (Uptown Girl was mentioned by another poster), why not simply EXPAND the playlist? This is the only way I can see them increasing their market share. One complaint I have about Clear Channel stations is that they won't play something if it's not on their playlist - never mind if it's from the time period. Radio stations should play what their listeners want to hear, not just what they THINK their listeners want.

And what happened to giving listeners some notice that the format is going to change? I remember a station doing that back in the '70s and getting thousands of calls of protest - so many that they changed their minds and decided to solicit comments from listeners on how to improve the existing format. Maybe I'll follow my best friend's lead and get an XM radio.

Posted by: Bob | April 6, 2006 10:22 AM

I agree with styofoam peanuts about Shout only I would hit the button that summoned WTOP. Well, I guess that I'll use my tapes and CDs for music when I don't need the traffic reports anymore.

Posted by: Historian | April 7, 2006 11:58 AM

I'm a longtime listener who went away on vacation and after returning home late at night, was shocked when my clock radio came on at 6:28 a.m. as usual -- but with a totally different sound! I could always count on getting the latest news at that time, or an oldie to get my day off to a good start. This is really a shame. I was at the Oldies 100.3 first anniversary concert and got to meet Sam of Sam and Dave, John Phillips of the Mamas and the Papas and Bowser from Sha Na Na. That was in the days of Jim London and Mary Ball. Although the on-air talent changed, the playlist was still worth listening to for 13 years. 100.3 is no longer a preset on my car radio, and now I'm trying to find another station to start my day. My condolences to those who everyone.

Posted by: Tom in Purcellville | April 11, 2006 10:18 PM

I don't know who made the decision to change and not have Murphy and Cash anymore but I won't be listening to this station anymore. I liked it the way it was.

Posted by: Paula Morgan | April 18, 2006 7:05 PM

Bring back Murphy and Cash of the morning show. They are entertaining, quite informative and knowledge of the world and their environment. If they have moved to another station, please advise. Thank you.

Donald A. Holmes, CPCM/CFCM/Ph.D.

Posted by: D.A. Holmes | April 19, 2006 11:08 AM

Bring b ack Murphy and Cash. They are the only ones who are welcome in my mornings. The Star Spangled Banner was a very good way to start my day. They were all personable and fun. What a waste of good people.

Posted by: DLandi | April 19, 2006 4:50 PM

I've loved the old format for years (Soul fix at Six) & I like the current format, however I have to say, while my husband & I worked out in the yard all day Saturday & Sunday, we noticed that we heard the same songs Sunday as was played Saturday. It's great that you're playing the "Greatest Rock n Roll of all times", but there were more than 40.

Posted by: Marty | April 21, 2006 2:44 PM

I listened to Murphy & Cash for the last year on my drive to work, I will miss their routine.Please update on your site so I might be able to listen to them again.

Posted by: Tom D | April 23, 2006 11:17 AM

Murphy and cash had to go. I was sick of hearing about Jake's algebra class. Their crappy attempt at doing commercials were also irritating

Posted by: Dlind | April 24, 2006 9:16 AM

I'm glad that Murphy and Cash are gone, my only fear is that they resurface some where else.

Posted by: JJohnson | April 25, 2006 10:44 AM

I miss Murphy & Cash-where did they get moved too. They had a great AM show them and Ron and Chuck. Ben and Brian stink on mzq where murphy and cash should still be""""".the new 100big is not friendly/or worth listening too

Posted by: carol loyd | April 25, 2006 12:59 PM

BRING BACK MURPHY AND CASH!!! They were great! I'm not listening to the new 100.3 anymore. I can't get in touch with a single person there, "In Person". It's ALL recordings. So now I now their master plan: All the DJs have been turned into robots! Does anyone know where Murphy and Cash went to?

Posted by: Monique Kohly | April 25, 2006 4:01 PM

BRING BACK THE OLD "OLDIES 100" AND MURPHY AND CASH.....UNTIL THEN, I'LL HAVE TO FIND ANOTHER RADIO STATION! THE NEW ONE 'STINKS'

Posted by: linda | April 26, 2006 6:47 AM

I am REALLY aggravated about the new 100.3 format. I was beginning to feel it was moving in another direction -- they certainly seemed to get stuck on "You're So Vain" & a couple of other songs.

When Murphy & Cash came on board, I was wondering what happened to Dave Adler when all of a sudden, he disappeared from 100.3. (By the way, he's now on 95.9 (WGRQ) in Colonial Beach on Dave's morning show AND he plays "a greater selection of oldies" -ones you weren't hearing on 100.3. Give Dave a call at 540 891-9696 and check to see if his station has the potential to broadcast to a larger radius. I'm certainly going to do that. I turn on 95.9 when I get further down 29 South. http://www.oldies959.com/

After Dave, I was a bit surprised by the Murphy & Cash duo; however, I did get used to them and eventually began to enjoy them.

Fortunately also, my son gave me the collection of oldies for Christmas you see advertised on public TV all the time.

Finally: Are you guys old enough to remember listening to Cousin Brucie in Fort Wayne, Indiana and barely hearing the songs through static? I do. I'm back to that again - listening to 95.9 when I'm almost totally out of range and straining to hear those golden oldies through the static, LOL!

Posted by: DORIS | April 27, 2006 11:59 AM

Murphy and Cash were great to start the day with. I counted on them to give me the updates on American Idol and Survivor... I do not like your new format. Please bring back the entertainers!

Posted by: Lani | April 27, 2006 2:03 PM

Murphy and Cash need to be brought back to BIG 100. They had a GREAT show, much better than MIX107/3. They were very personable, I have met the 2 of them. I semi-like the new format but do miss the 60's and 70's mix also. I also miss The Star Spangled Banner it was a very good way to start my day. Please any one update us if you know where they have landed.

Posted by: Mark | April 27, 2006 5:55 PM

I quit listenting to WMZQ when they took Murphy & Cash off and brought the two clowns that think they are funny and can impersenate famous people and now I have quit listening to Big 100.3 when you took Murphy & Cash off and put whoever it is on there now playing that horrible so called music. I wish I knew where Murphy and Cash were to listen to. I have been a faithful listener of theirs for over 10 years now.

Posted by: Karla | April 28, 2006 12:47 AM

I love the new music format, its from my time however there are a few things you should know.

First-Murphy and Cash were like family to thousands of us, especially the morning "Happy Hour" comuters. Most of us moved with them from 98.7 to 100.3 because of their personalities. Taking them off the air without notice, explanation or telling us where they went was insensitive and reveals how profit focused Clear Channel is. It can't always be about the money.

Secondly-We Loyal Listeners started our day with the National Anthem (you should be ashamed that you don't have time in your schedule to salute our nation and it's heros). We looked forward to "If I didn't read it I wouldn't believe it" and the "Junk Yard Band". You have effectively taken out any human elements form your programming (kind of like customer service with Sprint.

I will continue to listen to the music until I get satellite radio then you guys like Murphy and Cash will be history.

Have a nice life!

Loyal Listener # 1379

Posted by: Tom C | April 28, 2006 7:32 AM

Clearly, this latest comment from Tom C. expresses the views I have heard from many of us commuters.
I am a country music fan, but spent my morning commute with Murphy and Cash when they were moved from 98.7.
IF Murphy and Cash could make the move from country to oldies, they could have moved to rock n'roll. I miss the morning laughs-
Shame on Clear Channel Communications- articles report that even with a slightly lower fan base your profits were still high. You have lost one listener who is also going to get satellite radio.
Murphy and Cash- where did you go??

Posted by: Maggie | April 28, 2006 7:45 AM

I have been a loyal listner to 100.3 ever since they went on the air. I was disappointed when they change the format this time. I love listening to Murphy and Cash in the morning. It was like listening to friends. Since I travel to work in the morning I counted on the updated traffic and wheather. I no longer listen to 100.3 I have changed to 97.1. If you read all the email message bring back Murphy and Cash.

Posted by: Sandy Kelley | May 1, 2006 1:06 PM

I have also been a loyal Murphy and Cash listener from day one, and I no longer listen to BIG 100, now that they are gone. I believe you have lost a ton of listeners with this brilliant move!

Posted by: Kathy | May 1, 2006 3:26 PM

I used to listen when Dave Adler was on. But I really enjoyed when Murphy & Cash came on. I looked forward to my hour commute at 5:00AM. I now do not like the format at all and have switched all of my radios. I keep hoping I will run into a station that was smart enough to pick up Murphy and Cash. If anyone knows where they went, I hope they will post it somewhere.

Posted by: Pam Love | May 3, 2006 11:58 AM

I WAS a long-time BIG listener, until the new format and the loss of Murphy & Cash. I guess Clear Channel does not understand that it is not just about the music, it's also about the personalities. It does no good to write to them as all I have been able to get is a 'canned' answer. I guess they are not interested in real people's opinions. They have made their decision and we are supposed to accept it and stick by them. Well, not me. Count me as a former listener - I'll never go back as long as they have this new 'music' and no Murhpy & Cash.

Posted by: Fran | May 3, 2006 12:41 PM

My car radio was always on Big 100 until the format change. I do not like the new format, miss Murphy and Cash and Tom Kelly. I will not be listening to Big 100 anymore.

Posted by: Debbie | May 3, 2006 6:35 PM

I too followed Murphy and Cash to Big 100.3 initially to just listen to the morning show, but found myself keeping it on the station. Loved the oldies station. Mornings are just not the same without Murphy and Cash in the morning and their crew ie Junkyard band. Will miss their songs on current events especially the redskin songs. Murphy and Cash start up a website so your followers can find you. Where in the world are Murphy and Cash....

Posted by: Gail N. | May 4, 2006 3:47 PM

I had my alarm set to wake me to Murphy & Cash. We loved hearing about their families, about Chuck and his family, and about the plans for Ron's wedding. The played good music for us baby boomers and were funny. The first thing I did when I heard that they had been pulled was to change all my radios. Hopefully, those that did not like Murphy & Cash are now happy and will listen to the bad radio that we now hear all day.

Posted by: Jean S. | May 4, 2006 7:22 PM

When I e-mail the station I got the same response as the one above. Here's the official response I got when I complained:

"Thanks for your feedback about the New BIG 100.3.

I think it's hogwash, I too changed from WMZQ to Big 100 when Murphay and Cash moved there. Bring them back!!!!

Posted by: Linda A. | May 5, 2006 9:39 AM

I started a new life as a single mother and with that came a new job I began in April 1993. WBIG started the same week I did. I was with them from the very beginning. I was disappointed with them before when they canned Jim London and Mary Ball. They replaced them with some nitwit, I don't care to remember his name. I tuned them out for a while because of him. Thankfully he wasn't there long when Murphy and Cash came on. I loved hearing their stories, playing along with their games and getting the reality show updates. Because I live in Harpers Ferry, WV I was never able to attend one of their trips, but I would have loved to. I also miss TK and his car tunes and trying to guess the song from the snippet. The DJ's went places in the community and helped with many causes. They helped people with collection sites for those in need, and businesses with the discount coupons, and countless other acts of community spirit. The music was great in the beginning as the oldies I knew and loved, and when it grew into the hits of the 60's and 70's I grew up with. Personally, I think the music now is even better. They should all be combined into the one station. But with no DJ's, no one to "talk to me" during my commute, and no more games and contests, I'm outta here. I now listen to Elliot in the morning just for the laughs and companionship. I wonder how their ratings are faring now.

Posted by: Karen | May 6, 2006 7:12 PM

I HAVE BEEN FOLLOWING G,MURPHY SINCE THE

B-104 DAYS IN BALTIMORE PLEASE AT LEAST TELL ME THAT HE AND HIS FAMILY ARE DOING OK
YOU SEE THESE JOCKS ARE PART OF OUR FAMILY
WHEN THERE MISSING WE GET UPSET I DO UNDERSTAND ITS ALL ABOUT BUESSNESS BUT GARY MURPHY HAS SPOKE TO US THROUGH THE RADIO FOR OVER20+ YEARS I MISS HIM AND HOPE HE AND HIS FAMILY ARE DOING WELL. PLEASE AT LEAST E-MAIL ME TO LET ME KNOW THAT HE IS A GREAT PERSON AND WE ALL WILL MISS HIM UNTIL HE SHOWS AGAIN. THANK YOU VERY MUCH JIMMY THE "K".ABOVE I MENT TO SAY PLEASE E-MAIL ME TO TELL US HE,S OK

Posted by: jimmy the | May 8, 2006 10:29 AM

I don't usually vent my spleen on stuff like this, but I really detest incompetent management. I used to be a WBIG loyal listener before some Clear Channel management in-duh-vidual had a brain fart and changed the format. Whoever made that whopper of a mistake should be fired for blatant incompetence! Other than not having a soul, what is wrong with Clear Channel management? Obviously, they don't know their audience (despite their demographic statistics) and the reasons people listened to this station. "Old" folks aren't the only people who listened, and the music format isn't the only reason people listened either. I can listen to my favorite music from my iPod any time I want; I tuned into WBIG to listen to the on air personalities (not just the music), and they are the reasons I continued to tune in and listen. I loved listening to the Murphy & Cash crew in the morning on my way to work, but since they've been pulled off the air, I don't listen to WBIG anymore. WBIG has been stripped of its personality and humanity: it is dead to me!

Posted by: Tracy | May 9, 2006 6:57 AM

Still waiting to see what they are going to do on big 100.3 So far, no dj's is better than the alternative of idiots in the morning. Bring back Murphy and Cash please.

Posted by: dlandi | May 12, 2006 7:14 PM

I would like to extend a warm invitation to everyone to join the growing number of DC-Area listeners who have given a listen to majikradio.com and decided that "MAJIK" provides the FAVORITE HITS blend that brightens their day. Cheers, everyone!

Posted by: Uncle Al | May 15, 2006 10:40 PM

Please BRING BACK THE OLD "OLDIES 100" AND MURPHY AND CASH...... or at least tell us what happend to them, where we can find them and that they are ok. I have removed 100.3 from all radios in my autos and at home - The "disappearance" without notice of the personalities on the old 100.3 was absolutely cruel and rude to us faithful listeners.

Posted by: Jan from Arlington | May 17, 2006 8:18 AM

I received the same nonsense about WBIG not being healthy station. When will these young turks learn that it is not always about demographics. Not every station can be number one.Radio advertisers like the demographics of oldie listeners ... I switched to Big when Xtra switched from the oldies, and I enjoyed Dave Adler (and was bummed when he got booted), and grew to like Murphy and Cash. I enjoyed waking up with them. I switched immediately to WASH . but wish I could get that Fredericksburg station with Dave Adler doing morning drive -- how does he do it, after doing the night owl for WASH.
During the day, at the office, I listen to Music of YOur Life radio station ... but I want my oldies on my regular radio.

Posted by: Marlene | May 18, 2006 5:03 PM

You made a mistake. I now listed to 95.9 in Colonial Beach / Frederickburg. Bring back the Oldies and I will return. Otherwise, Goodby.

Posted by: T. Crabtree, Manassas | May 19, 2006 7:10 AM

WHERE IN THE WORLD ARE MURPHY AND CASH AND CHUCK -- THE SEARCH IS ON...Mornings are not the same without them. They were soooo fun to listen to. Not one morning went by that I wasn't laughing out loud driving down the highway. Kudos to WMZQ for letting their listeners know where Murphy and Cash were moving to. MURPHY, CASH, CHUCK COME BACK WE MISSSSSS YOU GUYS --- LOCAL RADIO STATIONS bring them back to the local waves and you will bet many new listners.....HELP FIND THEM....

Posted by: Gillie | May 22, 2006 12:06 PM

We all miss all of the big 100.3 crew everyone would like too know how murphy & cash & chuck feel about american idol's out come and there insight on lost. You took a big part of the our drive to work away. I now listen now to 107.3 & 97.1 for fun in the morning.

Where is Murphy & Cash???????????????????

Posted by: Pam | May 24, 2006 9:31 AM

Boy you guys messed up...if I want Rock and Roll I'll go to the one and only Classic Rock 94.7! What I wanted from Oldies 100 was just that, 50's, 60's, early 70's! So you have been deleted from my buttons on my cars radios. Bye-Bye

Posted by: Nancy | May 31, 2006 9:26 AM

Ok, so I went to delete 100.3 from the car radio and liked the song that was on...ok, I'll wait till next song, dang, I liked that one too...and it went on and on. So I take back my negative blog and admit I LOVE THIS NEW OLDIES 100.3!! Lots and lots of continuous music...and no listening to boring stuff from the annoying Gary and miss perfect Jessica! Who could ask for more!?

Posted by: Nancy | June 5, 2006 11:07 AM

I really miss Murphy and Case and the rest of the morning crew. When WBIG had their brain fart and changed the format - I bought an XM Sat Radio and deleted WBIG from my car program. If Myopic Channel wants more money/profit - fire the idiot program director and put Jake in charge (Chuck's Dog....).

If anyone knows where Murphy and Cash went or are going please post it. They've got a listner following.

Posted by: Seadog | June 6, 2006 3:58 PM

Posted by: Seadog | June 6, 2006 4:01 PM

Please let us know where Murphy & Cash went.... I too deleted 100.3 as I have no reason to listen any longer... I can't stand Ben and Brian, so that is out. Please do I have to listen to WASH?

Posted by: Lindalea | June 8, 2006 11:09 AM

I listened to 100.3 because I enjoyed the music but mainly because of Murphy & Cash. I would have continued to listen to 100.3 and their new music format if only they had kept the old crew of Murphy & Cash, Gary and the others. I really miss listening every morning - and I refuse to listen at all to 100.3.
I really wish I could find out where Murphy & Cash are working now - because that is where I would listen!

Posted by: Marta | June 20, 2006 2:46 PM

Quite frankly, the new format is terrible. I really enjoyed Murphy and Cash and before that, Dave Adler. I too have stopped listening to 100.3 WBIG, it is so bad that I finally purchased XM.

Posted by: Dave | June 21, 2006 8:33 AM

Where are Murphy and Cash... they were great. Your new format is less than enjoyable at 5:00AM when I drive to work.

Posted by: David Russo | June 23, 2006 5:47 PM

It is a sad commentary when the only human element of a radio station's broadcast is the advertising. I hate your pre-recorded "NEW BIG 100" soundbite that blares all too frequently. Your audience isn't that dumb - we can tell the format is "new." I enjoyed Murphy & Cash - depended on them for timely traffic, and a smile to liven the commute.I followed them to Big 100 from MZQ. I wasn't much of a country fan, oldies rock is OK (I'm a 60s boomer); I do not like the majority of what you play now - so WETA, WGMS, WPFW WAMU - and now 94.7 are my car radio presets. Your stuff is sooooo canned, boring, uninformative and lacking the human touch; our culture is awash in non-communication. I don't need or want more of it (got an iPod for my non-stop music). 3 So, keep in mind that "cash is king" and keep the stockholders happy while your target listeners fade away. Sayanora Big100. Another One Bites the Dust!

Posted by: Sandra | June 29, 2006 10:28 AM

For me in many ways, BIG died when they got rid of Kathy Whiteside, Ira Mellman and Johnny Dark. I'd still listen to Tom Kelly every afternoon - but that was about it. Now there is little reason to listen.

Posted by: Gino | July 6, 2006 11:12 PM

I live in L.A. but spend about 2 weeks a month in No. VA. I always used to listen to WBIG, especially Murphy and Cash in the mornings. But the new format sucks big time. Are there any stations with play lists like the way Big-100 used to be? Whatever happened to Murphy and Cash? They were great to listen to in the morning from my hotel to the office

Posted by: Geoff | July 14, 2006 8:01 PM

I left WBIG (where Jim London and I had hosted the morning show since WBIG's beginning) and retired from the radio business in '95 to focus on raising my two boys. Now, 11 years later, I see from all the Washington radio news that nothing has changed! Stations still change format without warning and popular DJs disappear into the night without explanation...while the listeners are left scratching their heads. I remember when Jim and I were canned from 'MZQ back in the early 90's, we went to the Bull Run Country Jamboree and handed out flyers- so at least people would know what happened to us! Now all these years later it's great to see Jim back at MZQ and doing so well. I miss him- and you all!

Posted by: Mary Ball | July 22, 2006 6:11 PM

My mornings have not been the same since Murphy & Cash left the air. Their sense of humor and abilitiy to laugh at themselves made them so human. After 11 years of listening to MZQ, I followed Murphy & Cash to WBIG when they were replaced by Ben & Brian who were the reason I gave up country music. I loved Mary Ball & Jim London and missed them when they left MZQ, but when they finally found the right combination with Murphy & Cash it was great. Their show got my morning started with many laughs and a lot of informatin and local, inside news. Now I don't know about new places or people or events. If anyone knows where Murphy & Cash are, please post it. Thanks

Posted by: Barbara Neilson | July 25, 2006 3:53 PM

It's good to know how you're doing Mary! I used to help in promotions when the station was Oldies 100, but management got... well, we won't get into that. Anyway, I'm sure you know Kathy Whiteside went to 101.9 in Baltimore, Dave Adler does a stint at WASH and has a show on 95.9 in Fredericksburg. I haven't heard where Goldy, TK, Johnny Dark, or M&C have gone... By the way, Ira Mellman went to WTOP news.

It's too bad these media giants aren't responsive to the listeners- just the numbers. I have three daughters between 11 and 16- they enjoy the oldies, yet they're not included in any demographics... I've switched to XM for the tunes, but we need more than just music. The air personalities help make the station- I need a little info as to what's going on (weather alerts, traffic, etc.). If I want just music, I'll fire up my IPod or MP3 player...

Posted by: Dave Moy | July 27, 2006 12:45 AM

Like many others, I stopped listening to WBIG when they dumped Dave Adler. I couldn't stand Murphy & Cash. So I can't help feeling a little satisfaction as Clear Channel slowly spirals the station into the ground.

Posted by: Rick | August 4, 2006 7:39 AM

Like so many others I too no longer listen to WBIG. Murphy & Cash was a good way to make a long drive (Front Royal to Chantilly) enjoyable. Really miss the humor of Murphy & Cash. Now listen to 93.3 from Fredricksburg.

Posted by: rick b | August 4, 2006 11:11 AM

I too miss Murphy & Cash and no longer listen to the station. I drive from Leesburg to Reston daily and make many long commutes to Route 1. listening made the time pass more quickly. This programming change was definitely a mistake.

Posted by: Bonnie . | August 9, 2006 4:30 PM

In plain words " What was I thinking, when I replaced Murphy & Cash ? The Answer, Nothing at all, apprently I don't need anybody to listen to my Radio Station. I will keep searching for a Good radio Staion, because 100.3 is no longer my station.

Posted by: Anne a Loyal Listner since the days of Murphy & Cash at WMZQ | August 18, 2006 6:44 PM

Caught Jessica on 93.3 doing the early afternoon show. Gather she is just filling in while the regular is on leave.

Posted by: rick b | August 22, 2006 12:12 PM

correction to last post --- she is on the 10am to 3pm slot

Posted by: rick b | August 22, 2006 12:19 PM

I still wake up to 100.3 in the mornings. But normally it takes less than 2 minutes to turn off the radio and turn on the TV to my oldies channel on XM broadcast through my satellite system. When its time to drive in to Tysons from Herndon I turn on the XM receiver in my car to continue to listen to the oldies and check the traffic. Actually, the constant traffic reports on one channel and the oldies on the other means that I only have to put up with WBIG for an average of 10 minutes a week. I can live with that - and I am equally sure that Clear Channel doesn't care for me.

Posted by: ben d | September 6, 2006 3:37 PM

My DAYS have never been the same since Murphy & Cash were taken off the air. I started my mornings with them and it help make my day. I sure don't know whose brillant idea this was but I know longer listen to WMZQ or WBIG. Ben & Brian stink & I didn't like the music on WBIG but I went to that station so I could listen to Murphy & Cash. I had been a fan of theirs since I moved back here in 1999. It would be nice if we were told what has happened to them. Please get them back on the air preferably on WMZQ. If you know they are on a station in this area I sure would like to know because I will follow them there.

Posted by: Bonnie Connor | September 21, 2006 3:25 PM

Agree with all the comments on Murphy & Cash and the rest of the "old" staff. I've also stopped listing to Big100.3. Murphy & Cash made the morning drive much more enjoyable than it is now. I used to listen to MZQ and followed Murphy & Cash to big - can't stand Ben & Brian. As far as Mary Ball and Jim London go - Loved them too and enjoyed them on both MZQ and Big....too bad all the good talent is gone...thank heaven for CD's!

Posted by: Marie | September 21, 2006 11:05 PM

We have enjoyed Murphy and Cash for many years. We have tried to find what happened to them. If anyone knows where they are please inform the public. We know we are no the only listners that miss them, we enjoy Ben and Brian but, would really like to know how Murphy and Cash are doing. They were like family, and to wake up and never hear from them again feels like we should be filing a missing persons report, they were a big part of our lives every morning for many years on 98.7 and 100.3. please inform. Thank you.

Posted by: Pam and Kevin | October 3, 2006 7:53 PM