Print Columns   |   Web Chats   |   Blog Archives   |

Goodbye Oldies, Hello What...More 'Classic Rock?'

The current incarnation of Washington's oldies radio station, Big 100.3, is in its final hours. By 5 p.m. today, the station will die, to be replaced, according to executives at competing stations, by the market's second classic rock outlet.

The new station will carry the same name and call letters, but a different selection of music, seeking to appeal to a different audience.

1 PM UPDATE:

Here's how the station is describing the change, billed as an "evolution" to a lineup of tunes that dumps Motown, Elvis, anything pre-late 60s, and pretty much all black music. What you will hear: Mostly 70s pop rock--think Billy Joel, CCR, Elton John, the Eagles. Here's the station's promo for the new format.

And here's what has been playing earlier today on the oldies station:

You've Got a Friend James Taylor 10:10am
My World Is Empty Without You Diana Ross & the Supremes 10:07am
I Shot the Sheriff Eric Clapton 10:03am
Hooked on a Feeling B.J. Thomas 10:01am
Sweet Caroline Neil Diamond 9:57am
Shoop Shoop Song Betty Everett 9:55am
Reason to Believe Rod Stewart 9:51am
Piano Man Billy Joel 9:46am
Suspicious Minds Elvis Presley 9:42am

It'll be interesting to see what tune comes last--the station's promos say the switchover will occur at 5 this afternoon. Anybody like to hazard a guess the last song on oldies Big 100.3? Winning entry gets a nice musical prize. Slap your guess on the comment board below before 4:30 p.m. today and check back later to see if you've won.

Oldies stations are dying across the country, victim of the aging audience. WBIG's average listener is about 50, which is high for pop music radio, though right in there with the audience for all-news, sports and public stations, all of which do quite nicely in the revenue department. If the industry rumors are true and the switch is to classic rock, that doesn't exactly bring down the average age of the audience.

But oldies stations are dying because the coalition that came together around disparate forms of pop music in the 1960s and 70s ended right there. The generations that followed that era grew up with much more segregated and finely tuned categories of music--you were either a rocker or a dance music fan. You either listened to the pop station or the light rocker, the black hits station or the harder rap outlet. Once traditional Top 40 radio splintered into a slew of narrower niches, oldies radio was doomed; a new generation of listeners grew up without the experience of listening to a little bit of everything. Oldies flits from Motown to bubble gum pop to Beatles to Elvis to 70s silliness to disco to 60s crooners, and its audience says ok, fine, if I don't like this song by Bachman-Turner Overdrive, I'll stick around because I know Fleetwood Mac is coming up soon. Younger audiences never learned that kind of commitment to a blend of music; they were trained to get their kind of music, all the time. So the new Big 100 later today will offer a narrower range of tunes.

Let's see. Your nominations for last song?

By Marc Fisher |  April 3, 2006; 10:22 AM ET
Previous: Final Four: Mason Loses, Mason Wins | Next: And The Winner Is...Shout!

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Gotta be American Pie.

dimitrippy@hotmail.com

Posted by: Dimitri | April 3, 2006 11:01 AM

Zzzzzzzzz. Wake me up when Satellite Radio wins the air war.

Posted by: Biggie | April 3, 2006 11:15 AM

The Long and Winding Road

Posted by: Bethesda Oldie | April 3, 2006 11:17 AM

Let it be. The Beatles

Posted by: Best guess | April 3, 2006 11:20 AM

Honky Tonk Woman

Posted by: Stick | April 3, 2006 11:20 AM

Last song today?
My World Is Empty Without You Diana Ross & the Supremes

Posted by: Jeanette Evanosky | April 3, 2006 11:21 AM

Rumors have them flipping as early as noon, so get those radios (and predictions) ready:

Posted by: Bye Bye Big | April 3, 2006 11:22 AM

Sgt. Pepper's Lonley Hearts Club Band by the Beatles

Posted by: Moira D | April 3, 2006 11:24 AM

Yesterday.

Posted by: nlw | April 3, 2006 11:25 AM

Second classic rock station? Did I miss the first? What passes for "classic rock" in DC is a pale, weak imitation of the true thing. Where are the deep tracks from Yes, Cream, Jimmy Hendrix?

Posted by: John | April 3, 2006 11:25 AM

You've Lost that Lovin' Feelin'

Posted by: Courthouse | April 3, 2006 11:27 AM

Last oldies song:
Fire and Rain by James Taylor

First classic rock song:
Video Killed the Radio Star

Runner-up would be Stairway to Heaven.

I'm beginning to wonder why my car radio has so many buttons.

Posted by: wma | April 3, 2006 11:29 AM

American Pie!

Posted by: DeltaDawn | April 3, 2006 11:30 AM

Save the Last Dance - The Drifters

I should throw out my radio.

Posted by: phanie | April 3, 2006 11:33 AM

Concur - Yesterday.

Posted by: Enforcer | April 3, 2006 11:38 AM

The very first rock n roll song: Rock Around the Clock

Posted by: WDC | April 3, 2006 11:38 AM

Gotta be "The End," Beatles (Abby Road).
(Response to John's post: Deep tracks from Yes, Cream, Jimmy Hendrix are on:
www.radioio70s.com!)

Posted by: Alan | April 3, 2006 11:45 AM

Na Na Hey Hey (Kiss Him Goodbye) by Steam.

Posted by: Jen | April 3, 2006 11:48 AM

"Last Dance", Donna Summer's 1978 #1 US Dance hit and just about the last gasp for disco.

At age 50, I'm a member of that dreaded "aging audience", but the reason I've quit listening to oldies is because after hearing the same songs for upwards of 40 years, I'm tired of them!

And I think that XM is almost as bad as Clear Channel, after listening to XM for four years. There, I've said it.

Posted by: Scott | April 3, 2006 11:50 AM

(i can't get no) satisfaction
Rolling Stones

Posted by: Rob | April 3, 2006 11:56 AM

"The End" by The Doors.

Posted by: Aaron S | April 3, 2006 11:58 AM

Rock around the clock tonight

Posted by: Robert | April 3, 2006 12:01 PM

don't only four of those songs that Mark listed really count as Oldies? I always thought the genre was 50s and 60s.

of course, "Classic Rock" now encompasses anything recorded by a "Classic Rock" group (so the Rolling Stones' new junk somehow qualifies) and apparently includes such "classic" rockers as Pearl Jam.

I hate radio execs.

Posted by: OD | April 3, 2006 12:01 PM

Maybe it should be something that would demonstrate how truly awful oldies can be, like "Lovin' You" by Minnie Riperton.

Posted by: swmdal | April 3, 2006 12:02 PM

On the Radio... Donna Summer

Posted by: flychick | April 3, 2006 12:04 PM

American Pie (the day the music died).

Posted by: MaryJ | April 3, 2006 12:05 PM

Hit the Road, Jack

Another viable format bites the dust, dulled by the sameness that is DC radio...

Posted by: mah | April 3, 2006 12:06 PM

I dunno, Dick, but it will have a good beat and you can dance to it--or at least be able to torture your kids in the back of the minivan with it. Its a seriously good day for any local youngster who has ever had to ride in the car with their music-hating parents.

Blend? I love free form radio (VIVA WFMU!!). I hardly consider the 5 same rice cake bland songs played ad-nauseum to be "blend".

Posted by: sleepwalker | April 3, 2006 12:08 PM

What else but the classic Supreme's "break-up" song - "Someday We'll be Together"

Posted by: AMW | April 3, 2006 12:08 PM

Bridge Over Troubled Water- Simon and Garfunkle

Posted by: Mike | April 3, 2006 12:11 PM

The last song to be played will be "That Old Time Rock 'n' Roll" by Art Neville.

Posted by: Maria Papageorgiou | April 3, 2006 12:13 PM

Since my guesses of "American Pie" and The Beatles "The End" are already taken, I'll say "Running Bear".

Posted by: HP | April 3, 2006 12:14 PM

I'm guessing the final medley from Abbey Road: "And in the end/The love you take/Is equal to the love you make." What a beautiful paean to the law of energy conservation! (Sorry, thought I was on Achenblog for a moment.)

Posted by: ZachBG | April 3, 2006 12:16 PM

Scientific references automatically roll over to Joel's blog. Here on the big board, we prefer our science pseudo.

Silver Lining Department: Big 100 is rolling along today almost entirely commercial free.

Posted by: Fisher | April 3, 2006 12:20 PM

Your column is so rife with contradiction that I don't even know where to begin. Young people, with the locked-in musical tastes, are to blame for the downfall of this radio station? or not? Because what young people, with their locked-in musical tastes, really want is another awful classic rock station in the DC market? You can't be serious.

Hey, don't forget that the same young people you blame in your article (or not?) for BIG 100's demise lost a radio station of their own, and actually just about this very time one year ago. Adios 99.1 WHFS, bienvenido El Zol. Interestingly, poor raings was cited as the reason for the demise of WHFS. But let's not allow fact to ruin a nice opportunity to trash younger listeners.

For the record, Baltimore lost it's own oldies station also about a year ago, and displaced one of the most like radio personalities in the city. What was it replaced by? One of those terrible iPod-styled radio stations that plays EVERYTHING that's apparently in Infinty Radio's collection, without the hassle of having to hire folks to develop play lists and rotations - and no they don't take requests. Can't think of a soul I know that actually enjoys that format.

You could have focused the reason for BIG 100's demise on changing demographics, corporate decisions (who knows what'll happen to WARW in a few months?) or a number of other reasons, but you chose to paint with the broadest brush you could find while consider who may or may not actually read your column. Apparently you did you math and decided that younger folks don't read your column, which qualifies them for dunce-hat treament. What a horrible thing, caving into stereotypes and broad generalizations. Shame on you!

Posted by: PJS | April 3, 2006 12:22 PM

"My Way"

Posted by: dude | April 3, 2006 12:24 PM

A Day in the Life

Posted by: Fab Four | April 3, 2006 12:27 PM

I Want to Hold Your Hand, The Beatles

Posted by: Gordon | April 3, 2006 12:27 PM

"When the Music's Over" by the Doors. More on point that "The End", and still provides the engineer an 11 minute break.

Posted by: JWM | April 3, 2006 12:28 PM

Sha-na-na-na, hey hey hey, good bye!!

Posted by: AmyEV | April 3, 2006 12:30 PM

"What a horrible thing, caving into stereotypes and broad generalizations. Shame on you!" Sooomebody needs to get a little more sleep at night, they're a wee bit cranky this morning.

Posted by: Stick | April 3, 2006 12:30 PM

Bob Seger "Good Old Rock and Roll"

Posted by: steve | April 3, 2006 12:33 PM

Two come to mind, "Magic Carpet Ride" and "Hit the Road, Jack."

Posted by: Leroy | April 3, 2006 12:36 PM

Here's one that seems obvious no one has picked yet, "My Generation".

Posted by: Who are you | April 3, 2006 12:37 PM

Stairway to Heaven

Say, what is the diff between "classic" rock and "oldies"? .... XM ch46, and, say, XM ch6????

Posted by: Doug | April 3, 2006 12:48 PM

The song called "The Last Song" of course! - can't remember who it's by, but has a line that goes......."this is the last song I'll ever write for you, the last song I'll ever sing for you........ "

Posted by: lhost1@verizon.net | April 3, 2006 12:49 PM

PJS' reading of today's post somehow finds me blaming young listeners for the demise of the oldies radio format. That's not what I wrote--in fact, I did expressly what PJS advises and put the blame squarely on radio executives for dropping the idea of Top 40--a format that reached out to listeners to many different kinds of music--and moving instead to a series of niche formats that divided the audience.

You could twist that to say that I'm blaming the listeners, but that's putting the cart before the horse. If the industry hadn't become so overly reliant on research and audience testing, radio wouldn't find itself in its current predicament, as the medium that listeners--young and not--are spurning because it offers precious little sense of discovery. And if radio can't turn people on to new music, it has zero chance against today's get-what-you-want technologies.

Posted by: Fisher | April 3, 2006 12:49 PM

Elton John's "Your Song"

Posted by: Lisa H | April 3, 2006 12:49 PM

The Who, "Won't Get Fooled Again." YEAHHHHHH!

Posted by: Patty | April 3, 2006 12:51 PM

"Hello Goodbye" by the Beatles

Posted by: Layne L | April 3, 2006 12:53 PM

Na Na Hey Hey, Kiss Him Goodbye.

And you're right, Fisher: Oldies was focus-grouped to death, particularly in this market.

Posted by: peachyboy | April 3, 2006 12:57 PM

Last song on 100.3 - Jim Croces "Bad, Bad, Leroy Brown"

Posted by: BillJ | April 3, 2006 12:57 PM

Last song: RESPECT by Aretha Franklin
So long!

Posted by: Christine | April 3, 2006 1:03 PM

Time in a bottle

or maybe the Byrds - Turn, Turn, Turn (or whatever the name is)

Posted by: Ruby | April 3, 2006 1:09 PM

My guess: "Unchained Melody", by the Righteous Brothers.

bc

Posted by: bc | April 3, 2006 1:10 PM

Y'all have seemed to forgot 94.7 FM. Oldies as far as I can tell. That would be the last station in the area. FYI.

Posted by: Radio Listener | April 3, 2006 1:10 PM

Hello, Goodbye
The Beatles

Posted by: Nick | April 3, 2006 1:13 PM

Radio Listener - try Blog Reading:
First para in text: "the station will die, to be replaced... by the market's second classic rock outlet." That would be 94.7.

Posted by: Christine | April 3, 2006 1:18 PM

I pick "It's Over" by Roy Orbison as last song played.

I don't know who the demographics survey taker was or is, but there is an audience out there for oldies music. We'll just play our CD's now and say bye-bye to the radio. Who needs all those commercials and idiot promos we had to suffer through just to get to the good music!

Ta Ta!

Posted by: Judy | April 3, 2006 1:20 PM

The day the music died, of course: American Pie

Posted by: dickrosano@comcast.net | April 3, 2006 1:35 PM

"Thanks for the Memories" sung by Sinatra

Posted by: donovan | April 3, 2006 1:41 PM

"As time goes by..."

Posted by: JBusch | April 3, 2006 1:45 PM

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road by Elton John.

Posted by: Martin | April 3, 2006 1:46 PM

Its got to be "LOVE ME TENDER" by Elvis.

Posted by: Papasp8 | April 3, 2006 1:51 PM

Let it Be

Posted by: Jay | April 3, 2006 1:56 PM

How about "We Gotta Get Out of This Place" by the Animals?

Posted by: Jean | April 3, 2006 1:57 PM

My guess: Crockodile Rock, by ELton John. Don't know why--just popped into my head. What a bummer. I liked this station as an antidote to the "Angry Teenage Boy" music that seems to dominate classic rock these days.

Posted by: TTG | April 3, 2006 2:01 PM

I say it will be Auld Lang Syne. The end of something and the beginning of something new.
Mary Jane Grossman
maryj@pulse-sys.com

Posted by: Mary Jane Grossman | April 3, 2006 2:03 PM

One reason why the format is dying is because they always played the same songs. After a while, you get tired of them. They could have opened their play list to other songs of the era; e.g., all those songs on the albums that they didn't make singles out of.

My husband and I put that question directly to one of the wbig djs and he said that they have to play the 'hits'.

I'll still miss the station. (I vote for Long and Winding Road.)

Posted by: wbig listener | April 3, 2006 2:08 PM

"Who's Gonna Love You?" by the Four Seasons.

They already play it five times a day and aren't imaginative enough to sign off with a "message" song.

Posted by: Alvin | April 3, 2006 2:12 PM

My guess is: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)

Posted by: Andrew | April 3, 2006 2:14 PM

"Long and Winding Road" would seem like the best choice to me.

Posted by: Big Oldies Fan | April 3, 2006 2:17 PM

I'm surprised no one's suggested "Goodbye Yellowbrick Road" by Elton John. That song has such wonderful closure. I'm sorry to hear of the format change as well. I REALLY miss the days of disk jockeys (now known as on-air personalities) played what they pleased, when they pleased. Go ANYWHERE in the US and it's becoming plain, whitebread vanilla- BLAND!

Posted by: Marci W | April 3, 2006 2:26 PM

The last great rock song: Elvis Presley's "Jailhouse Rock."

Posted by: Gene Barnes | April 3, 2006 2:29 PM

With apologies for my earlier crankiness (I blame daylight savings time), it strikes me nonetheless that some folks would blithely generalize what younger folks are listening to. Yeah, you've got your Angry Black/White Dude music, diva-ish/melodramatic pop girl music, but to give you folks a taste of what else is out there, do yourself a favor and look into this "listener-supported" (public, non-commercial) radio movement. It's more than just WETA and WAMU. Folks in Philly are really onto something with WXPN, and Baltimore launched an effort to replicate that with WTMD.

BIG 100 is shuttering, my guess, mostly because folks most it's target audience just isn't tuning in anymore, not that there's a diminishing population within the target audience. So only the die-hard listeners should really be weeping. What happened to everyone else? I dunno, maybe like some other posters suggest, they got bored; perhaps some are now drawn to WASH, Lite-FM or even those red-state lovin' AM talk-radio bastions (I doubt that BIG lost any listeners to WARW). But that listener supported radio movement is really giving a lot of folks what they want without having to shell out for XM and all that required equipment.

You want diviserity and blending in your radio programming like the old days? Listener supported is where it's at (and it's on-line to boot, so you can check out over the web what you're missing out on here). Check out a playlist and you'll see what I mean (just one example: http://xpn.org/playlists_2006_0306.php). Red Hot Chili Peppers and Marvin Gaye played within minutes of each other in the same hour? Ditto for Joss Stone, Aretha Franklin, Bruce Springsteen, and the Subdudes? Or Coldplay, Clapton, Pearl Jam and the Beatles? Or The Byrds, BB King, John Mayer and Dave Matthews Band?

It ain't "good-time" oldies, but there are decent alternatives to the monoliths that dominate DC radio, and many of us are listening. Can't/won't apologize for the end of BIG - I don't imagine many of the middle-aged wept for the disappearance of rag time and big-band on the radio either.

Posted by: PJS | April 3, 2006 2:30 PM

Beatles - I Want to Hold Your Hand

Posted by: David | April 3, 2006 2:32 PM

WBIG was always an oldies-singles radio station, but over the years their choice of singles to play gradually narrowed. First the 50s and early 60s oldies were rotated out (I guess their demographic was getting too old for the almighty advertisers.) Then they narrowly rationed the selection of titles made even by great artists, particularly of soul and R&B. James Brown recorded more than "I Got You (I Feel Good)" and "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag", but you'd never know it by listening to WBIG (except on the Sunday "Night Train", easily their most interesting show).

I like classic and modern rock, but we already have a decent classic rock station in WARW (I find it interesting that they've been mixing in more recent material, but hearing bands there like Pearl Jam that I still buy new material from makes me feel old at 30.) Aren't there enough people around still listening to and buying music that want to hear music that predates 1967?

Posted by: MHK919 | April 3, 2006 2:33 PM

No recomendations, just the observation that as much as I love the oldies of the mid to late 50s and all of the 60s, the limited playlist on this station nearly ruined this music for me. I can only know listen to the 4 Seasons without flinching, and I loved them growing up. I have moved on to XM satellite radio for this music.

Oh wait -- maybe this station should go out with that song "Goodnight Sweetheart (yes it's time to go)"

Posted by: Middle aged oldies lover | April 3, 2006 2:37 PM

Janis, with "Bye Bye".

"Bye, bye, baby, bye bye!"

Posted by: DaveS | April 3, 2006 2:37 PM

I quit listening because I could NOT STAND the morning team. I personally blame them for demise of the format there.

Posted by: Stick | April 3, 2006 2:44 PM

Transfusion, by Nervous Norvus.

Posted by: Andrew | April 3, 2006 2:46 PM

Goodbye Sunshine by the Beatles

Posted by: chuck Murphy | April 3, 2006 2:47 PM

Hey Jude by the Beatles

Posted by: Hitesh Nigam | April 3, 2006 2:48 PM

The last song has to be "GET READY" (Rare Earth).

Posted by: Rigoberto Cajas | April 3, 2006 2:51 PM

Unchained Melody by the Righteous Brothers, or Hey Jude - as I recall, they topped the Memorial Day 500 countdowns of days gone by...

Posted by: Joe F - Silver Spring | April 3, 2006 2:52 PM

Most apprioriate, a local talent... Marvin Gaye "What's Goin' On"

Posted by: bigolpoofter | April 3, 2006 2:57 PM

"The End" by the Beatles

Posted by: mc | April 3, 2006 2:58 PM

since "Dock of the Bay" seemed to appear on the Oldies 100 playlist at least once an hour, I think the odds of it being the last song played are quite good.

Also, I'd consider "You're Mama Don't Dance (and Your Daddy Don't Rock 'n' Roll")

Posted by: ralph | April 3, 2006 3:09 PM

"Let's dance the last dance"...a little late for an oldie but who knows...

Posted by: jake | April 3, 2006 3:12 PM

That stupid Shoop-Shoop song.

Posted by: steve | April 3, 2006 3:16 PM

Clear Channel and testicle radio proves yet again why normal commercial radio is an antiquated format. Sirius and XM Satellite radio are the way to go. You know terestrial radio is dead when your car has 12 FM presets, and you can't fill half of them living in a top 10 media market!!!!

Sirius RULES!

Posted by: Russtinator | April 3, 2006 3:17 PM

Without the rah-rah-sis-boom-bah cheerleading for satellite radio (which I do subcribe to), I'll just put in my vote for "Last Dance" by Donna Summer. Why? It was the last song that WJMO, also owned by Clear Channel, played before they switched to stuntcasting for Hot 99.5. My secondary go-to vote: anything from the Beatles--especially "Jude", and "The End"...

Posted by: vcthree | April 3, 2006 3:22 PM

A Whiter Shade of Pale

Posted by: RAB | April 3, 2006 3:39 PM

Bye bye baby

Posted by: carnival521 | April 3, 2006 3:42 PM

Although I'm sure it won't be the last song, I'd sure like to hear something that's really an oldie, like “Huey 'Piano' Smith and the Clowns”, "Don't Ya Just Know It".

One of the great things about traveling is that some radio stations in small towns play records you haven't heard in a long time. Nothing like that here, though.

Posted by: Diane | April 3, 2006 3:44 PM

"Purple People Eater" - lookout!

Posted by: GTRi | April 3, 2006 3:52 PM

Not my particular favorite but a good tune and one that represents Oldies 100 - Good Vibrations - The Beach Boys.

Posted by: Jeanie Kemp | April 3, 2006 3:53 PM

Too many good suggestions here! Let's shut down the rest of the stations so we can use all these ideas.

Posted by: Kalorama Kat | April 3, 2006 3:54 PM

I agree with those who already submiitted American Pie (the day the music died). 2nd choice would be Unchained Melody (also submitted previously), always at or near #! for their list of top oldies of all time.

Posted by: Jeff | April 3, 2006 4:08 PM

Last Song by Edward Bear.

Posted by: Last Song | April 3, 2006 4:10 PM

Lots of good guesses, I'll go with one I don't think I've seen:
"See You in September" (Bye baby goodbye,)

Posted by: Playitall | April 3, 2006 4:19 PM

My own personal signoff song will be "Anarchy in the UK" by the Sex Pistols.

bc

Posted by: bc | April 3, 2006 4:22 PM

"Goodnight Sweetheart, It's Time to Go" -- The Platters

Posted by: Jeff Turrentine | April 3, 2006 4:26 PM

Bye Bye Love (Simon & Garfunkel)

Posted by: Mana Z | April 3, 2006 4:26 PM

Let's Stay Together...by Al Green

Posted by: Tom | April 3, 2006 4:29 PM

American Pie, Don McLean

Posted by: Ashley | April 3, 2006 4:32 PM

unchained melody
The Righteous Bros

Posted by: N Lorentson | April 3, 2006 4:33 PM

Perhaps "Louie, Louie" as in "We gotta go"

Posted by: Marci W | April 3, 2006 4:34 PM

Great. The only decent station with a real history of rock/pop music is "evolving" with Billy Joel, Elton John, and the Eagles. Just what DC needs... ANOTHER station that plays a boring mix of Billy Joel, Elton John, and the Eagles while ignoring masterful recordings of the 50s and 60s!

Big 100.3 was my favorite station that played the hits that reminded me of my childhood in the 70's. Now it's just going to be another lite-rock pukefest. Thanks.

Posted by: Joe | April 3, 2006 4:45 PM

It's gotta be "American Pie" by Don McLean.

Posted by: Heather | April 3, 2006 4:51 PM

Do I misunderstand the "classic rock" genre or are many of the songs listed on here as the final "oldie" also "classic rock." American Pie, Seger, Beatles, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin . . . I hear these all of the time on classic rock stations.

Of the ones I've seen listed here, as far as being an "oldie" but not "classic," and very fitting is Last Dance.

Posted by: Sheldon | April 3, 2006 4:59 PM

Did I just hear "Shout" as the last song?

Posted by: Diane | April 3, 2006 5:02 PM

If you don't know me by now...You will never know me.

Posted by: Micale | April 3, 2006 5:02 PM

yep, you just heard "Shout" as the last song, I heard it too.

Posted by: vicki | April 3, 2006 5:10 PM

Marc and PJS both have it way wrong -- the blame for the state of commercial music radio today goes neither to programmers for phasing out the old Top 40 fomat decades ago, nor to the present listening audience of whatever age, but to our federal gov't. for allowing coporate chain ownership to dominate the nation's airwaves. The resulting lowest-common-denominator homogeneity has made our country culturally poorer and ultimately inflicted great harm upon the creative side of popular music-making as well, assisting a vicious downward spiral that damages the whole industry in the end -- including those big chain station owners.

Posted by: Alex | April 16, 2006 6:57 PM

Bring back the oldies!!! I'am in my twentys and grew up listing to these songs, the radio needs deversity!
Thanks