Print Columns   |   Web Chats   |   Blog Archives   |

Duncan's Depressed and Getting Out

News flash from The Post's Nancy Trejos:

Montgomery County Executive Douglas M. Duncan will announce this afternoon that he is dropping out of the race for governor, sources close to the campaign said today. Duncan, 50, decided to end his quest for Maryland's highest office because he is suffering from clinical depression, sources said.
Duncan faced stiff competition for the Democratic nomination from Baltimore City Mayor Martin O'Malley. He will announce his decision at a press conference in his Rockville office building at 2 p.m. today.

Many questions here: Is Duncan too ill to continue his quest? And, does clinical depression automatically ruin electability? It's been nearly 35 years since Thomas Eagleton dropped out of the race for vice-president after revelations he had electro-shock therapy for depression. Where are we today?

The Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance surveyed 1,200 adults four years ago and found that nearly half of those said they would prefer not to vote for a candidate with a mood disorder.

However, Patrick Kennedy (D-R.I.) appeared with Tipper Gore and told his constituents in 2000 he had been diagnosed and treated for depression -- they sent him back to Congress with 67 percent of the vote anyway, and with high margins in 2002 and 2004 as well. Lawton Chiles resigned from the Senate after developing depression after his 1985 heart surgery -- he took Prozac, then a new and controversial medication -- then was re-elected twice as governor of Florida after that.

By  |  June 22, 2006; 1:02 PM ET
Previous: Again With the Facebook | Next: Single-trackin' Blues on Getaway Day

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

While I am sorry to hear that Mr Duncan is suffering from a real disease I am glad for the state of MD. At least now we have a chance of not having the entire state turned into roads and townhouse developments.
And if I believed in him and his causes I would vote for him depression or no - admire the honesty of the admission.

Posted by: Silver Spring | June 22, 2006 1:46 PM

I think there is a significant difference between Douglas Duncan and Thomas Eagleton. Eagleton was shamed for having sought treatment. He bowed out because he was marred by the stigma. Duncan, however, seems to be taking a step back and putting his health and his family before his ambition. I think that is highly laudable. My best wishes are to Duncan for a speedy recovery.

Posted by: Greg | June 22, 2006 2:05 PM

I see no comparison between Duncan dropping out and Eagleton. Eagleton was discovered, Duncan is using this as his public reasoning. There is no saying that this is Duncan's real reason. Marc, really, enough of these odd takes on stories as an attempt to gadfly into comments. It's strange to constantly see you rewrite stories to fit your column.

Posted by: Don | June 22, 2006 2:17 PM

Oh, please.
Doug Duncan is dropping out because he's turned Montgomery County into shopping mall and he doesn't have a prayer to win.
People with clinical depression function well with medication...just ask Mike Wallace, or author William Styron, or Alma Powell.
It's a cop out and way for him not to take responsibility for high property taxes and the lack of affordable housing. He's ruined what was once a great county, and turned it into a haven for out-of-control developers with massive tax breaks and little for the middle-class worker.
I say, good riddance.

Posted by: Uplandermom | June 22, 2006 2:18 PM

The comparison between Eagleton and Duncan is, at the very least, ambitious. Even putting aside the fact that we do not know all of the details yet, it is irresponsible on Mr. Fisher's part to propose that Duncan is somehow being forced out and then launch into a discussion about electability.

Posted by: Bob | June 22, 2006 2:22 PM

Maybe this is a stretch, but one has to wonder if the recent presumed suicide of Philip Merrill wasn't a wake-up call for Duncan.

Whether you disagreed with his philosophy, felt that O'Malley might have a better shot at knocking off Bobby Haircut, thought he was a blob, or were an enthusiastic supporter, one should acknowledge that this withdrawal and the subsequent calling attention to the problem is a logical and courageous act.

Posted by: Catcher50 | June 22, 2006 2:24 PM

I assume that he's dropping out because the strain of leading Montgomery County and running for governor would be tough enough for someone who's fit and would be incredibly difficult for someone who's not 100%.

As for the comment about people performing their jobs well while taking medication, we don't know if he's just started getting treatment, has hit a new low in his depression, or the demands of his time (therapy) are just not conducive to a run for governor.

Posted by: saw | June 22, 2006 2:28 PM

I am shocked by the callousness--no, the very meanness of previous posters. Nothing like kicking a man when he's down, and by the way, our current growth policies were set by planning board members in place long before Doug Duncan was elected. He has made our County a better place, despite its enormous changes and challenges. As for managing growth, I don't think the other candidates would do a better job. Overcoming depression takes more work than just swallowing a pill, but I am hopeful that Doug will make a full recovery. Despite this temporary setback, I believe he will find a way to continue his public service, and will be there to support him when he does.

Posted by: Wishing Doug a speedy recovery | June 22, 2006 2:31 PM

I am sorry Duncan is dropping out. He's been in public service a long time, and I feel he's been an outstanding success in MC.

Given the choice I'd rather live here and send my kids to school in MC than in Baltimore.

I wish him Godspeed.

Posted by: RoseG | June 22, 2006 2:36 PM

He was always more concerned with county businesses then with county familes.

Posted by: Germantown | June 22, 2006 2:43 PM

Duncan has been rising dramatically in the polls in the last month and JUST received another endorsement yesterday. I highly doubt this is "just a cop out"... it doesn't make any sense to go this far, and leave at a time when your chances are looking better and better.

Although I do not have the perspective of having lived in montgomery county years ago - from what I've read, and from living here now, he's done some great things. He's created livable, walkable downtowns that haven't existed before, he's funded revitalization of blighted areas. Obviously the "no change! everything has to stay the same forever and ever and ever" type people are going to say how much better it used to be - so perhaps perspective wouldn't have made me any wiser at all in this opinion, just stubborn.

With that said, my vote was with O'Malley anyway. While Duncan is great for MoCo and I'd happily vote for him for County Exec again anyday, I don't think he's right for the whole state. I think Montgomery is an anomyly in the state. I think the problems facing places like PG resemble Baltimore much more than they do Montgomery. And although "I would rather send my kids to school in MoCo than B'more" too, if I had any (uhm... duh?? Who wouldn't?) Quite obviously not everyone has the choice to just up and move to the most expensive county in the state. The mayor has done remarkable things in that city on all fronts, and he's done it with a decreasing tax base, not a sky rocketing one like in montgomery. I don't think that at all discounts what Duncan has done in Montgomery, it just makes the mayor more applicable to the maryland as a whole. I would certainly not vote for O'Malley for the MoCo Exec, but that wasn't the race.. it was for maryland governor.

Posted by: PJB | June 22, 2006 2:52 PM

Let's get one thing straight: depression is a medical condition, the severity of which varies from person to person. So spare us all this armchair psychiatry and specious equivocating. From now on are we going to jump on an athlete who retires after a cancer diagnosis by saying, "what's the big deal, Lance Armstrong had cancer!"

Posted by: Anonymous | June 22, 2006 2:52 PM

I never voted for the man when he ran for County Executive but I honestly do believe the lower county areas of Silver Spring, Wheaton, and Bethesda are much better off now then they were before Doug Duncan took office. Silver Spring and Wheaton in particular had become blighted to the point businesses had left, crime was rising, and property values were shrinking. Look at these areas now and tell me they not better for having Doug Duncan in office. The man had the right vision for MoCo and is due some credit.

Posted by: KP | June 22, 2006 2:53 PM

I HAVE BEEN DEPRESSED EVERY YEAR I HAVE TO WRITE A HIGHER TAX CHECK TO DOUG DUNCAN> BUDGET HAS GONE UP NINETY PERCENT ON HIS WATCH< AND SERVICES MOST TAXPAYERS USE (LIBRARIES<GARBAGE<LEAF AND SNOW REMOVAL) HAVE GONE DOWN<

Posted by: OVERTAXED | June 22, 2006 3:01 PM

Posted by: OVERTAXED | June 22, 2006 3:02 PM

Don and Bob,
Marc didn't write this. Ann Gerhart is filling in for him this week (and doing a lousy job of it). If Marc wrote this, it would contain much more substance.

Posted by: WB | June 22, 2006 3:05 PM

I dunno I'd blame Duncan (or any politician) for increased density, business activity and taxes. The same thing has happened all over the inner suburbs over the past 30 years. You might as well blame the fact that the MSA's population is growing.

Posted by: Mark | June 22, 2006 3:11 PM

I think it's only fair to accept Mr. Duncan's at face value. Medical advances notwithstanding, the stress of running for governor would be far more wearing on someone figting depression already.

As for the mean-spirited comments about Mr. Duncan, it just goes to show why public opinion is overrated. It wasn't enough that many people don't have their brains attached to their mouths; now their brains don't reach their fingers, either.

Posted by: dlk11756 | June 22, 2006 3:23 PM

The "we pay too much taxes", "things are going downhill", "Duncan didn't do enough for us", etc. folks just don't have any sense of reality.

Silver Spring was going to be "revived" since I was in college (back then GW played D1 football). Duncan got it done.

The DC area was a small, southern town. It's now the 8th largest metro area in the country, and in less than a decade will be, essentially, Chicago (with Baltimore being Milwaukee).

MoCo is one of the economic engines driving this progress. It's dragging P.G. county along (albeit slowly). Duncan's task is more than daunting. While I personally would have voted for O'Malley (better chance to knock off Bobby Haircut), Willie Don has made me leery of Baltimore mayors. Duncan would have made a fine governor.

Again, I have to applaud a courageous decision that is best for his family and I certainly hope that, as he makes a complete recovery, he will be able to provide the sort of public service that has served his constituency so well.

Posted by: Catcher50 | June 22, 2006 3:24 PM

Clinical depression, even for an "everyday Joe", has a serious and often deleterious effect on a person's life and that of his/her family. The added pressure of being in the public eye constantly, being subjected to scathing attacks from all sides, and trying to run a campaign for the governor's office would make the depression just that much more difficult to handle. I applaud Doug Duncan for doing what he is doing--taking care of his life, his health, and the well-being of his family. He has made tremendous contributions to life first in Rockville and then in Montgomery County. I seriously doubt that his days of public service are over. Let's give the man the respect that is his due, and let's let him take care of himself. He has his priorities straight.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 22, 2006 3:41 PM

While I was leaning towards O'Malley, I think it's remarkable that Doug Duncan was courageous enough to openly state the reason for dropping out of the race. He could have stated any number of reasons-but he told the truth. I went to his press conference and he received a standing ovation for over minute. He had a pasted smile on his face and I am sure he was suffering like hell on the inside. It must have been the hardest decision and the most difficult press conference he's ever held. Think about the number of people whose dreams have also evaporated as they have been relying on his success to become the next Governor. My hats off to the guy and I hope he becomes enlightened through this journey that's ahead of him. Depression never goes away, it's always there lurking. I wish you well, Doug.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 22, 2006 3:42 PM

Can we get Legget or Silverman to run against O'Malley? Is it too late to run somebody else? Anybody would do better. O'Malley will lose to Erlich. O'Malley can't run on a record of running Baltimore into the ground; he is too corrupt.

Posted by: G. Heath | June 22, 2006 3:43 PM

I have always admired Doug Duncan as a man of integrity and decency. Good for him! Walk away from the meanness of politics, regroup, relax and then come back! He's still young and has plenty of time run for office should he choose to re-enter the fray.

Posted by: A long time political observer | June 22, 2006 3:44 PM

Nancy Trejos wrote the orignal post, which is stated at the top under Marc's photo.

Posted by: observer | June 22, 2006 3:46 PM

It would have been nice if Doug had been thinking county families over all these years. The families of the business people who were pushed out of Silver Spring to make way for his developers utopia, and the families of the people who lost their homes as he "revitalized" the neighborhood, but, ooops, forgot that everyone can't afford an $800,000 home. It would have also have been nice if Doug had given a little more to the teachers, firefighters, service workers and the rest of the struggling middle class.
So what? Now my tax dollars will go to pay for treatment of his "depression", I'm sure. Heck, if I'd done as much damage to this county and its longtime residents as he has, I'd be depressed too.
The final irony is that he DISMANTLED the county's mental health system for moderate and middle-income residents, allowed Chestnut Lodge, a premier psychiatric hospital to be sold off to developers rather than preserving its talent for county residents.
Now why am I thinking he won't wind up at Potomac Ridge, but some toney mental health facility in Virginia?
Actually I would challenge you to find mental health services in Montgomery County, affordable housing and still have money to pay for food on minimum wage.
Really, Doug, let me hold the door for you.

Posted by: Uplandermom | June 22, 2006 3:50 PM

Somebody should step in against O'Malley in the Democratic Primary. The confidence men in Baltimore can't be trusted.

Posted by: G.Heath | June 22, 2006 3:57 PM

"O'Malley will lose to Erlich. O'Malley can't run on a record of running Baltimore into the ground; he is too corrupt."

That's almost too stupid and uninformed to even be worth responding to at all....

Anyone with half a head on their shoulders was having a real difficult time figuring out who they were voting for... because they were both great candidates... Not quite sure where you get corrupt from.. the man's done absolutely remarkable things for baltimore, just as Doug has done for MoCo....

Next time educate yourself before you speak please - it hurts my brain to hear otherwise.

Posted by: PJB | June 22, 2006 4:01 PM

Uplandermom, why don't you use the door? We don't need any more of your rube-like comments.

Posted by: WB | June 22, 2006 4:12 PM

"Now my tax dollars will go to pay for treatment of his "depression","

Um, no. His health insurance will cover it. And if it doesn't, he'll pay for it out of pocket. And he'll probably go to Hopkins or Shepard Pratt, not to "some toney mental health facility in Virginia."

Sheesh. Whatever you think of him, this HAD to be a difficult thing for him to do. Kudos for being brave enough to share the real reason and I wish him the best in recovery.

Posted by: AG | June 22, 2006 4:21 PM

Hope Mr. Duncan can recover fully. But in light of the recent news story about Mr. Duncan signing off on leasing a school as requested by-- you guessed it-- Joltin' Jack Abramoff (a few weeks after Abramoff placed a $20K campaign contribution in Duncan's coffers), I can only wonder why no one else in this thread (including the original Post-er) haven't mentioned this other shoe?

Posted by: GF | June 22, 2006 4:23 PM

I hope Doug feels better soon and I'm going to actively support Mayor O'Malley for Governor of Maryland.

Posted by: past time for a Democratic Governor | June 22, 2006 4:27 PM

I have always had the utmost respect for Mr. Duncan and that continues. While I haven't always agreed with his positions, I have shared my opinions with the County Exec's office and have always gotten a well-considered response.

Mr. Duncan has done a great job of involving the community in governing the county. The Montgomery County system of advisory boards and committees is terrific and he has always been responsive to citizens.

I like him as County Exec and as a person, as well. I wish him a speedy recovery and hope that he realizes that by making this statement, he has shown courage and integrity.

Posted by: MoCoDem | June 22, 2006 4:37 PM

PJB, I'm sorry your brain hurts. Perhaps you should consult with Duncan's doctor. I hope you get better soon. Perhaps when you are feeling better you can check out O'Malley's behavior in building a hotel using tax money. Shouldn't hotels be built with private money? No wonder everybody's leaving Baltimore for the suburbs. No wonder there's no money left for schools. That's one corrupt deal that's bad for taxpayers.

Posted by: G.Heath | June 22, 2006 4:42 PM

Marc, he may be dropping out of the race because, even with meds, depression doesn't make things easy for a person. Being depressed and trying to run a state doesn't sound too appealing. I have battled depression for 15 years now and it's tough. I don't use meds anymore and I just try and exercise 5-6 times a week and it does help. I never really enjoyed meds because no one really knows what they are and the side effects can be pretty bad. But, I can understand why someone may want to drop out of the race if they are just finding out they are clinically depressed. People won't see a happy man and he'll most likely not win. I hope he can feel better and realize life is incredible and happiness can be achieved.

Posted by: TopNotch | June 22, 2006 4:54 PM

How about some thought out intelligent responses here:

"business people who were pushed out of Silver Spring to make way for his developers utopia"

Granted, silver spring needs to do more for it's small business. But that is a failing of the citizens, not the county exec. How about the next time you're in town you go down to the Quarry, or Jackies, or one of the countless latin restaurants instead of Macaronni Grill or Red Lobster? Granted Downtown has brought in some of the mega-chains, but it has also created a market that never existed before for locally owned businesses - Austin Grill is a small chain of about half a dozen restaurants, all in MD, DC of NoVa. McGintys is owned by two local Irish immigrants if I recall. The vietnamese restaurant is local as well. So, while macaronni grill might not help the local economy, it is what is bringing enough people INTO silver spring to support the local businesses. Last I checked, not a whole lot of potential customers were showing up when it was a blighted plot of mostly abandoned buildings. Unfortunately you have to give a little to get a lot.. it's called an investment.

Property Values...
Property values have gone up at rates on par with the rest of the region. Unfortunately, real estate has gone out of control, creating an affordable housing crisis across the country. When booms like that happen, unfortunately there are only two options - go up with the boom, or plumit downwards amist it (i.e. - PG County... unfortunately). IT'd be nice if there was a middle ground of "we're gonna stay right were we are, and prices will go up reasonably"... unfortunately, supply and demand doesnt allow that to be a realistic option... either you keep up or you doom yourself. All a government can do is try to keep the rental market under control.. this such as intervening when charter house wanted to go condo... instead, charter house is still rentals, providing affordable housing for the elderly.

As for chestnut lodge... learn a little local history is all I have to say. In 1997 is was bought from the Bullard family by CPC Health, which then went bankrupt 3 years later. It was then owned by a school for a short while before being sold to developers.... Not a whole lot of "dismantling" by the county going on there.. nice try though.. really... Fortunately, phsychiatric medicine has advanced to the point where large scale mental institutions are no longer necessary... For the most part patients go to a doctors office and get some drugs... hence, logic would show that some are going to have to close. Luckily, there are historic preservation restrictions placed on the developers of chestnut lodge, which will preserve it;s architecture, which is what's actually worth preserving (as opposed to it;s archaic method of treating mental health). A side note - historic restrictions that are also being placed on the developers at seminary way by forest glen - an acrchitectural goldmine that the army had let deteriorate to almost falling apart before the county finally came in and made sure it was preserved (even if that preservation is by developers.. there's other way.. you cant expect the taxpayers to foot that bill just to preserve architecture and let it go unprofitable).

Anywho... like I said before... please educate yourselves before you open up your mouthes... I know it's convinient to just post your stupidity and let people tell you what's actually true on here.. but it's much easier for me if you;d just go out and learn it yourself.. thanx

Posted by: PJB | June 22, 2006 4:59 PM

Note: Doug's photo on the WPost website is directly under Superman's image! We will miss his leadership and preparedness, for Y2k, the snipers, bioterrorism, West Nile, Al Queda, Bird Flu...
Hopefully our next exec and governor will support building schools and funding like Doug did too!
He has been a man for all seasons!

Posted by: Wishing Doug A speedy recovery | June 22, 2006 6:33 PM

Duncan's problems are legal and related to official acts and political gain.

The other shoe is soon to drop.

Others to follow.

Posted by: Truth Out | June 22, 2006 10:05 PM

Anyone who would make light of depression has obviously never had it in a serious form (and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy). I can completely understand his decision and wish him good health in the future.

Posted by: been there | June 23, 2006 8:26 AM

Couldn't agree more. Wish I could recall the full quote and the author but the best description I've heard on depression - you spend all your energy trying to appear as a normal, functioning human being. It's exhausting and debilitating for a regular joe. I cannot imagine what it's like for a public figure. Politics aside, I applaud Mr. Duncan for his courageous honesty about his illness.

Posted by: been there too | June 23, 2006 8:56 AM

It's a pity. I haven't always agreed with him, but he's the sort of county executive that MoCo needs and would have been a fine governor.

Posted by: MattF | June 23, 2006 9:14 AM

He pulled off miracles in developing Silver Spring, Bethesda, and the rest of Montgomery County. I wish we had a man of his vision and abilities to lead the District.

Posted by: Kalorama Kat | June 23, 2006 10:23 AM

I admit that I have my own biases regarding mental illness, but it has really nothing to do with my conscious knowledge about the subject.

My father was emotionally abusive and occasionally physically abusive. I get uncomfortable when someone shows signs of emotional or mental instability. This includes not just people with mental illness but also people showing negative emotions such as anger, upset, and crying. I worry that the person will lose control and hurt me. The Annie Wilkes character in "Misery" perfectly embodied my fears in this regard. I know my fears are irrational and a disservice to people like Duncan, but knowing the facts about mental illness doesn't seem to help me.

I find this ironic, because I went through three years of psychological counseling when I was a child. I was told that it was because I was having trouble relating to other kids. I found out recently that the counselor had diagnosed me as obsessive-compulsive. But I've come to the conclusion, based on my counselors' notes, that I have Asperger's Syndrome.

Posted by: Tonio | June 23, 2006 10:47 AM

I do not doubt Doug Duncan suffers from depression.

It is my understanding that, when he was a student a Good Counsel High School in the early 1970's, he had already been diagnosed as "manic-depressive" [I don't know what the popular name for that malady is today], and was regularly taking medication for that condition.

It is my understanding that was pretty much common knowledge among his friends and classmates.

Doug, even when he was in High School, made it abundantly clear his goal in life was to aspire to the highest political office possible, often saying he would be a US Senator someday.

When he began his political career as Mayor of Rockville, and even when he was first elected as County Executive, he seemed to be, all things considered in balance, a reasonably dedicated public servant.

However, his tenure in the Executive Office Building was marked by an increasing, and I submit, overblown sense of self-importance, and a drive not necessarily to serve the public interest, but only to serve his personal ambitions to get re-elected and then move on to even higher office, at the expense of the citizens and taxpayers of the County, and our children and grandchildren. That, very unfortunately, is a hallmark of many politicians after years in office.

The best example was his particularly under-handed and downright nasty "End Gridlock" campaign against incumbent Council Members during the 2002 election cycle to fund croney candidates and stifle anyone who dared to disagree with him, and his politcal hack, Mr. Jerry Pasternak.

Perhaps Doug's latest bout with depression came about as a result of the fact that, for really the first time in his political "career", his campaign was facing a very steep and some might say unwinnable uphill battle. [The fact is liberal Montgomery County politicians face a very tough row to hoe in Maryland state-wide politics.]

But I suggest there just may be more to it than that. I am surprised that the Duncan campaign's receipt a few years ago of something like $20K, which only recently came to light, from the Northern Mariana Islands in the South Pacific, contributions which have been tied to Jack Abramoff, garnered little more than passing interest in the press, with the exception of Marc Fisher of The Post.

As I recall, Doug stated he was not previously aware of the receipt of those substantial contributiuons.

While it is correct that under Maryland election law the periodic reports required of a political committee established for a candidate do not require the candidate's signature [only the Chairman & Treasurer], common sense says, and I can state from experience, that contributions received are always reported to the candidate, especially in a campaign as sophisticated as Doug's. A candidate always wants to know, in real time, who his or her "friends" are, especially those "friends" who "contribute" multiple thousands of dollars that meet the State statutory maximum for an election cycle.

And it is just really beyond the pale of mere coincidence that such substantial donations were received right before the time Doug decided to turn over the former Belt Junior High School to an organization closely tied to Mr. Abramoff, in a more or less sweetheart deal, a deal that many concerned citizens believed was to the detriment of the taxpayers of Montgomery County.

Mr. Abramoff's web of deceit and dishonesty appears to spread far and wide, and it would be truly unfortunate if Doug has found himself entangled in that web. But the lure of money is a strong temptress, even more so when it is necessary to fund an all-consuming desire for personal aggrandizement.

I guess the really sad part about all of this is that, in retrospect, Mr. Duncan's South Pacific "supporters" funded, at least in part, a concerted effort to sweep out of office any County Council member who dared to disagree with him in the last election cyle.

Is there looming over Doug's head a Grand Jury subpoena, or even worse, a possible indictment? Can't tell you, don't know.
But perhaps that is the real reason for Doug's recent bout of depression.

And if that's the case, I think I would be very depressed as well.

And that's just a thought from this Montgomery County native.

Posted by: MONTCO NATIVE | June 26, 2006 1:50 PM

the fact that people are so callous re Duncan's announcement shows how far we have NOT come since the Eagleton situation. I heard Howard Kurtz, the Post's media critic, on the radio,saying
"Duncan is depressed, I'm sure he'd feel better if he was doing better in the polls." The radio anchor man Bob Kur said something to take the sting out of that inappropriate remark and Kurtz kept right on criticizing Duncan. Kurtz is not a psychiatrist,he is a media critic. But apparently everyone is an expert on depression, a very real ILLNESS. May all those who criticize learn from experience that treating an illness is not as simple as making a remark about someone else's ability to 'deal with it.'

Posted by: Rita | June 26, 2006 3:51 PM

Hats off to Mr. Duncan for being candid about his medical condition and not wanting to jeapordize the state's future while he is coming to terms with his next steps. Two things warrant mention: first, people with depression and other mental health challenges can and do hold jobs, even jobs with significant responsibility. Because this is a fairly new diagnosis and Mr. Duncan is probably figuring out how to deal with his situation, it may be best for him to not take on the race and the new role as Governor, but I would hate for people to think that just because he has depression he cannot serve. Second, the Duncan-Simms ticket was far stronger than O'Malley, largely in part because of Stu Simms. He supercedes whomever is running with O'Malley, and would have set both Baltimore and the rest of the state on a positive track. I look forward to Stu Simms still being involved in Maryland public service.

Posted by: Silver Springer | June 27, 2006 10:18 AM