Print Columns   |   Web Chats   |   Blog Archives   |

Two Facebooks

OK, here I am, Ann Gerhart guesting for the indefatigable Marc Fisher. A little trouble untangling the line for my first Raw Fish-ing expedition.

Yesterday, I was absorbed by Shocking Art Headlines! and the news that Ronald Lauder (yes, the lipstick Lauder) had ponied up $135 million to buy a Gustav Klimt painting for his boutique museum of German and Austrian art -- most ever for a single painting. It's a 1907 gold-flecked portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer, wife of a wealthy Jewish sugar baron and perhaps the artist's secret lover as well, as indicated by "sexual connotations" he included. Perhaps one of you erudite art historians might want to peruse the painting and clue me in on the erotica I'm missing here.

After that dalliance with high-brow culture, I sank right down into scrutinizing a whole 'nother set of portraits, that of congressfolks' spawn on myspace.com. Children, children, children! NOTHING is private, ok? Don't you read about the progress in data-mining? Seriously, by now any orientation for rookie representatives should include, right after the session on setting up your constituent services operation, a tutorial on how to search-and-destroy your kids' online exhibitionism.

One hundred years between the secrecy painted into a masterpiece portrait and the shrug implied in anything-goes snapshots, captured on impulse and posted to the world. Progress?

By  |  June 20, 2006; 9:31 AM ET
Previous: Please Welcome The Fabulous Ann Gerhart | Next: Again With the Facebook

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

But the real question is where are the links to the myspace sites!?

Posted by: lucky | June 20, 2006 11:47 AM

What do we think, Fisheristas?

Marc promised us "piercing observations and tasty nuggets." At least today's post is more piercing and tastier than yesterday's no-show, but I don't think we've seen the "thoughtful, feisty and remarkably versatile" blogger we were offered.

C'mon, Annie, show us how you do it.

Posted by: KK | June 20, 2006 12:59 PM

Goodness gracious. Why jump all over the guest blogger as if she's a greenhorn substitute teacher in our third grade class? Give her a moment to hit her stride. And personally, I thought the suggestion that rookie congressfolk consider scrubbing their kids' myspace accounts was pretty funny. (And by the way, you'll find the offending children on Wonkette.)

Posted by: fritz | June 20, 2006 1:13 PM

Posted by: fritz | June 20, 2006 1:13 PM

WE WANT LEIBY! WE WANT LEIBY!

Posted by: WB | June 20, 2006 1:30 PM

Links! Give me links! Or do I have to be on myspace to see them?

Posted by: h3 | June 20, 2006 2:13 PM

Here's Lancelot Link:

Looks like this is about the only link you're going to get.

Posted by: WB | June 20, 2006 3:05 PM

Seriously, what a waste.

Pure id!!

Posted by: Frankey | June 20, 2006 3:06 PM

Oh, for Heaven's sakes. Here's the congressfolk spawn -- http://www.wonkette.com/politics/kids/

Posted by: Ann Gerhart | June 20, 2006 4:52 PM

HAHAHAHAHA. Those Pierce Bush pictures are beautiful.

Posted by: h3 | June 21, 2006 10:57 AM

I know it's summer and all, but if I wanted to read trite fluff like "Washington Deficits" or sex scandels, I'd turn to the first few pages of a Danielle Steele novel, maybe while sunning myself at the P Street Beach.

Think we could shift the focus of this blog back to topics which, if not more serious, are at least local?

OTOH, the Lancelote Link link was priceless. Now THERE'S good mindless entertainment!

Posted by: Mark | June 21, 2006 12:13 PM

Mark,

You're asking too much. "The fabulous Ann Gerhart" is in over her head with this blog stuff. This is what happens when you ask a Style editor to take on a Metropolitan section type job: completely dysfunctional.

Posted by: KK | June 21, 2006 2:06 PM

Ah, well, KK. It is summer and everyone benefits from a bit of a break. I guess I'll just pour some bourben and simple syrup into a glass, top it with mint from the garden, and go grab that novel... I mean my copy of the proposed comp plan or the latest PUD application. ;)

Posted by: Mark | June 21, 2006 2:59 PM

Anyone planning to go to the Folklife Festival this year? It looks like it may be pretty boring. Not much liveliness. Please, someone prove me wrong!

Posted by: Wondering | June 21, 2006 8:58 PM

Where's the beef?

Never send a girl to do a man's job.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 22, 2006 6:10 AM

Wow Mark, great pick for your guest blogger this week. Does the woman have an opinion on anything relevant?

Posted by: hiod | June 22, 2006 9:22 AM

C'mon, all.

The lady's obviously very good and fills a niche reaching out to extended Metro Area and National audience folks on style and chatter. Let's not savage her too much for not being a DC wonk- that's not what she was hired to do. It probably suffices to point out (and have fun pointing out) that the topic of her (1) post isn't in keeping with the established scope of Fisher's columns or blog.

Even more, I doubt Marc picked her or she volunteered- probably management Shanghai'd her. I think Nakamura or, better yet Silverman, would have been closer kindred spirits to Fisher, but that's not our (or even likely their) choice.

There. Can I have my apology for the trite, damaging, and untrue "Washington Deficits" line now?

Posted by: Mark | June 22, 2006 10:38 AM

I know he wouldn't have the time, but Wilbon would have been more interesting as a blogger than this.

And hey, why couldn't John Kelly do it again? Heaven forbid we use the guy who filled in successfully before!

Posted by: AG | June 22, 2006 12:52 PM