Print Columns   |   Web Chats   |   Blog Archives   |

D.C. Mayor: Is the Field Starting to Thin?

My weekend wanderings had me strolling past the headquarters of two mayoral candidates whose operations appeared to be winding down. Both lobbyist Michael Brown and Ward 5 council member Vincent Orange came up pretty close to empty in last week's Washington Post poll on the D.C. mayoral race, and while no one has dropped out of the five-way contest quite yet, the sight of those two HQs all locked up just six weeks before the primary raised some questions.

Staffers on several of the mayoral campaigns say that pride and inertia make it unlikely that we'll see any formal withdrawals from the race before the Sept. 12 vote, but that doesn't mean that all five major candidates for the Democratic nomination will keep trudging to all the forums and standing on street corners in 99-degree heat.

Any rationale for Orange staying in the contest vanished long ago; now, word has it that Linda Cropp is offering Orange the possibility of an administrative position in her cabinet should she prevail. But Cropp's own aides say it might actually help her if all the candidates stay in--she did even more poorly in the Post survey in a head-to-head comparison with Adrian Fenty than she did in the five-way race. On the other hand, Orange has already given up his claim to his council seat; he has nothing else to do at the moment. Whatever the logic of getting out, Orange is still officially in, though other candidates say he's been attending fewer and fewer of the dog and pony shows that they troop to most evenings.

Also pledging to stay in all the way is Marie Johns, the former Verizon executive who was at the top of the also-ran pack in the Post poll. Although some of her supporters are talking about now being the time for them to choose between Fenty and Cropp rather than run the risk of wasting a vote, Johns firmly rejects that reasoning and believes that she still has time to break out of the pack and attract a mass of voters who are underwhelmed by the two frontrunners.

Michael Brown, the lobbyist and D.C. boxing commissioner who is mounting an outsider bid for mayor, seems to be otherwise engaged. I was channel hopping Sunday and found Brown not on the D.C. campaign trail, but on Fox News Channel, where, billed as a "Democratic strategist," he was opining on U.S. policy in the Middle East and advising Israel to disengage militarily. The military analyst Brown was debating on Fox tore into Brown for suggesting that Israel brought this conflict on itself and that Israel ought not to have defended itself against the provocations of Hezbollah and Hamas. Brown seemed like a fish out of water.

No mention was made on that broadcast of his candidacy for mayor, but Brown tells me that he's very much still in the race and that he believes it will come down to a contest between him and Cropp. He said his headquarters was shut tight because "We have everybody in the street and we don't have time to have people sitting in the office." He said he appeared at four churches Sunday morning and then visited two young men who were shot in recent street violence in the city.

"Obviously, the perceived frontrunners would love to have me out of the race," Brown told me. "But the disenfranchised people of this city can't wait to get to the polls. No one but me is doing anything in 7 and 8," meaning the wards east of the Anacostia River.

Several friends of the Brown family say that the candidate's mother is urging him to drop out, but Brown says those are old rumors resurfacing as his opponents get closer to primary day and more desperate for votes.

I asked Brown about one of the remaining mysteries of the mayoral race: Will Marion Barry make an endorsement and who wants it? Brown does: "I would love to get his support," he says. And he expects Barry to make his move after Labor Day, which makes a lot of sense, especially if Barry ends up jumping on Cropp's bandwagon, because Cropp keenly needs Barry's support east of the river, but wouldn't want Barry publicly on her side more than a few days before the vote for fear of too much backlash in other parts of the city, especially west of Rock Creek Park, where Barry's name can be poisonous.

By Marc Fisher |  August 1, 2006; 7:48 AM ET
Previous: The Veejays Are Back (Martha Quinn!) | Next: What Were the Odds of Mel Gibson Running Into a Jewish Cop?

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

IN 2006 (and beyond) LET'S ELECT SUBSTANCE FOR DC COUNCIL & MAYOR!
It never ceases to amaze me how every election year the same drone and dribble of news coverage, punditry and blog blather about mayoral and council candidates gets discussed. Will there ever come a time when the REAL issues and concerns of everyday average hard working Washingtonians (long-timers and newcomers) get comprehensively and directly addressed by the candidates. After 38 years in DC, it appears that what matters is the money, moronic campaign rhetoric, irrelevant candidate statistics, voter rants, and the same predictable stale candidate choices. To quote a lesser known, but highly engaged and articulate candidate, " D.C. is not an abbreviation for Dumb Citizens." Hopefully local news media, the usual cast of candidates, and blogs will raise the level of intelligent discussion to what really matters to most District residents: effective public safety, genuine affordable housing, much better schools, responsible spending of our tax money, and TRULY ACCOUNTABLE public officials. In the meantime, as quiet as it's kept, our REAL best bet for an intelligent, substantive, and capable mayoral candidate -- and a smart discussion of what really matters in our city -- may be found at the website of Dennis Moore. Anyone who really cares about the true value of their vote should read-up on this candidate. In my opionion, he's definitely no empty suit like his immediate mayoral competitors. Dare to compare and become more aware. This year, on election day (Sep. 12 and Nov. 7), you can't say "I didn't know!"

Posted by: Forgotten Washingtonian | August 1, 2006 9:51 AM

Yeah! I see what you mean "Forgotten Washingtonian" --- This Dennis Moore is no "empty suit" --- He speaks directly, and completely, to what's really been on my mind for years about living in the District. I think he could become our first elected voter-friendly Republican mayor here for Repubs, Dems and others despite his GOP tag --- yet he's clearly an old school Republican type. Reading his website top to bottom, despite his no-nonsense edge he's comes off as both knowledgeable, experienced and down-to-earth. The fact that he's actually worked in DC government can be a plus. I'm also familiar with his party competitor David Kranich. Saw him at a mayoral forum and went to his website --- speaking of an "empty suit" --- I'd vote for one of the lesser Dems over this guy. If Kranich was our only GOP choice, and the best we can do as D.C. Republicans --- then we deserve to not be taken seriously around election time. I'm tired of being a voter of the losing party in the "Nation's Capital" again and again. This year for me --- among both the Repubs and Dems --- it looks like it's choice between Moore, or less!

Posted by: DC Republi-CAN | August 1, 2006 10:54 AM

Anyone that Marion Barry endorses will lose my vote instantly.

Posted by: Hillman | August 1, 2006 11:15 AM

Losing Brown and Orange would leave this race much less colorful....

(Sorry, but someone had to say it)

Posted by: Tom T. | August 1, 2006 11:30 AM

Can Fisher or a moderator get rid of this rediculous moore stuff. not just from this thread but all of them. it would take a lethargic sloth not to see that GOPer and Republi-CAN are the same person as forgotten washingtonian.

Posted by: Real | August 1, 2006 12:28 PM

Totally agree with last post (regarding PLEASE get rid of Moore emails, they are like spam).

Posted by: Frank | August 1, 2006 12:48 PM

No Moore Moore!!! Good grief, can't the Post monitor this board?

Posted by: Washington, D.C. | August 1, 2006 1:07 PM

Words out Mr. Moore, and his croonies are using this blog continuously to promote his bid for Mayor...making it look like its regular citizens leaning his way.

Get real.

You still have quite a few years before you'll get your GopMayor.

Posted by: Frankey | August 1, 2006 1:16 PM

Honestly, I was leaning toward Orange but Mr. Fenty, actually came to my home sat on my porch and we talked for about an hour and he was in no rush and answered all my questions honestly.

Keep in mind I live in Ward 5 and have yet to even see anything orange not only on my porch but in my block.

Fenty, Fenty, Fenty.....

Posted by: Frankey | August 1, 2006 1:19 PM

Hey Fenty's Frankey! Dennis Moore doesn't need cronies if he does have any. He got a real message and a real plan. Obviously you have not read Mr. Moore's webpage. Do your homework and stop listening to the "Words out" in your head. I live in Ward 5 also, and I don't need a politician on my porch to know what's real. MOORE, not less again!

Posted by: Forgotten Washingtonian | August 1, 2006 1:39 PM

I have lived in the District 17 years, and some people may consider me a newcomer. I really don't see any purpose in voting in the Democratic primary in September. I don't think that the candidates will do much differently than Mayor Williams. I suppose that Mayor Williams can claim to improve trash service and filling potholes. However, I think that just about all the candidates genuflect before the developers, and many city services are mediocre at best. I do not think that will change with a new mayor and some new council members.

Posted by: Jeff | August 1, 2006 1:44 PM

I doubt seriously you live in Ward 5, also you would never be welcomed on my porch Mr. Crooney.

I seriously think you're brainwashed but also you insulted me, so I'll close with this...get your head out of your ____.

Go away!

Posted by: Frankey to Forgotten | August 1, 2006 1:49 PM

Again, I do not need your opinion of me and again another brainwash GOP idiot.

Go Away!!

Posted by: Frankey to SW | August 1, 2006 1:51 PM

You know what African Americans are calling Mr. Moore, the same thing they call the gentleman in the MD race who wants to run for office (Steele).

The only way I would vote for a Black Republican in DC, is if he or she lifted the Gun Ban.

Posted by: Smitty of SE | August 1, 2006 1:55 PM

Wow, it's too bad that we can't enjoy a blog here...

Fenty came to my door too. He was informative, engaging, interested, and won my vote. I'm impressed.

Posted by: Ward 3 | August 1, 2006 1:58 PM

I wish there was a way to confirm, via unique IPs or something, that a poster is unique and not merely duping the spam.

Hey Hill, what if Barry were in favor of gay marriage, LOL.

Posted by: JD | August 1, 2006 2:26 PM

"P.S: I am an operative. Commonly known as an informed voter"

Please, you read a couple lines in a paper and consider yourself informed. The guy stated he's the best GOP in town not the man who should be running the city.

Please, I'm not looking for a sheriff, I'm looking for diplomatic intelligence.

There are things said about "Independent" voters...they only care about the issues that appease them not others. In other words "selfish voters".

Posted by: Examiner? | August 1, 2006 2:37 PM

Both Fenty and Cropp came to my door. As a veteran campaign operative, I'm happy to see candidates here in DC practicing retail politics.

With that said, my litmus test for the mayoral race is the baseball team and stadium. I applaud Cropp for recognized the long-term economic benefits that a team and stadium will bring to DC, as opposed to Fenty's race-baiting, class warfare mudslinging. My vote is for Cropp.

Posted by: Glover Park | August 1, 2006 2:56 PM

To the Cropp supporter, how healthy is Cropp? I am concerned about her health.

As for Fenty, just as Cropp stood up, Fenty stood up for the Crime "throw money away" emergency.

Fenty, Fenty, Fenty....

Posted by: Frankey | August 1, 2006 3:10 PM

well, at least the Moore spam is on topic, as opposed to others who post long anti-Bush tirades on every single blog every month.

Posted by: tallbear | August 1, 2006 3:16 PM

You deserve what you get as for the anti-bush tirades....

come on, it really is time to be real.

We're talking about a man who can't even....oh well never mind.

The world is doomed!

Posted by: Frankey to Tallbear | August 1, 2006 3:35 PM

I am pulling for Marie Johns. Mrs. Johns has greatly impressed me with her well thought ideas about how to reduced violent crime, rebuild the school system and tackle the issue of affordable housing. She not only has innovative ideas, but also has the management and community leadership needed to see them through.

I saw her speak at a recent community forum and she mopped the floor with the other candidates. Cropp's support has stalled, Fenty's support is soft and Johns has the momentum. I am looking forwardd to welcoming our new mayor, when Mrs. Johns is elected.

Posted by: Hot in DC | August 1, 2006 4:05 PM

Okay. So, D.C. has been run and controlled by public officials from which party for decades? . . . how many social and economic problems do we have compared to other cities our size? . . . and why are some threatened by a different take on what really needs to be done to fix these problems? I'm at least willing to give Dennis Moore a look compared to the same old cardboard candidates that continue to mess up my city. Find out what I have . . .
. . . I don't want to waste my vote on another D.C. Democrat in 2006.

Posted by: DemocraSee | August 1, 2006 4:22 PM

Cardboard, oh please now, Mr. Moore has just as much meshed paper background as the rest.

I wish the bashing of the Democratic part would stop. There is nothing wrong with being a Democrat just as there's nothing wrong with being Republican.

I simply don't trust Mr. Moore, there's a bit of inseurity about who this guy really represents and if the republicans don't care about the poor then what in Gods name could this man do to save them.

Posted by: Frankey | August 1, 2006 4:43 PM

You're so right about Fenty and the crime bill.

FACT: When Fenty had a chance to stand up against crime, he wiffed.

FACT: Fenty thought the bill was a bad bill, but DID NOT offer an alternative.

Fenty is, as they say, all style and no substance. That's why I'm voting for Cropp.

Posted by: Glover Park | August 1, 2006 5:18 PM

Is the mayoral field really thinning?
Or have we finally discovered that the candidates are thin on substance?
Cropp, Fenty, Orange, Brown and Johns still give me that seen it all before feeling.
Just when I was considering another Democrat for mayor by default, Dennis Moore pops up.
And he's a real REPUBLICAN!!!
He just may be what we need to get DC off the Jay Leno joke list.
Forget his competition David Kranich who may be our local version of Dan Quayle.
And we certainly cannot afford to settle for another four years of bad schools, random violence and overpriced housing.
Johns was a maybe. Moore? Hmmmmmmmmm!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 1, 2006 7:01 PM

As people get closer to the election, they will be nervous about handing the reins of an $8 billion government with 30,000 employees to a 35 year old who has never run anything. They will rue letting Linda Cropp serve at the helm when she already failed on the School Board and did nothing but flip-flop in the Council.

Johns will emerge as the credible alternative -- due to her experience running a $700 million corporation with 2,000 employees, and her record of civil service that had nothing to do with trying to win elections.

Anyone who has gone to a forum knows she's got the heart, mind and character we need. Fenty and Cropp really don;t hold a candle to her.

Posted by: freedcblue | August 1, 2006 7:18 PM

Frankly Fenty guy. Did you ask Hon. Fenty why he hasn't gotten rid of Sinclair Skinner yet? http://www.dumpskinner.com

Posted by: Janet | August 1, 2006 7:20 PM

Frankley: who said I was pro-Bush? I'm just tired of reading that junk on a traffic blog, Marc's blog when he's ranting against Dippin' Dots, the Security Fix blog... you get the picture. If it ain't a politics blog, leave that junk out.

Posted by: tallbear | August 2, 2006 9:15 AM

A thinning field? My patience is thinning from lame candidates! Or maybe I'm overloaded on the so-called front runner candidates that the media pumps 24-7.

Even the Republican choices get minimal attention from me. Except for maybe Dennis Moore. His out of the box website and issues got my attention, and maybe my vote. Kranich looks like another GOP place holder with no chance.

Fenty and Cropp give me experience and trust concerns. Johns gives me Pratt-Kelly worries. Orange gives me corruption stress. Brown is a lobbyist looking for a new job.

Still doing my homework. Read the websites. Hopefully by November I won't have to default for the usual quality of mayor candidates to govern D.C. again.

I'm not looking for perfection. Just looking for the best.

It's hard being an Independent voter having higher expectations from thin choices. Help me out Washington Post! Tell me more about ALL the choices!!!

Posted by: Independent Thinker | August 2, 2006 10:54 AM

Hey, Janet:

Did you ask Cropp whether she divorced her Barry-crony husband, disavowed Harold Brazil's endorsement, or returned Jemal's campaign cash (etc etc) yet?

Never mind- It's too early for her to do these things. She's obviously waiting for Barry to step forth and endorse her, so that she can then usher the old gang into the old back room, where they will no doubt find their familiar seats of power and continue business as usual, out of the public eye!

Fenty! Fenty!

Posted by: Mark | August 2, 2006 2:15 PM

Uh-oh.
I'm getting that Fenty is a fraud feeling again. Just visited the DumpSkinner.com site.
It's the same instinct I get from Cropp and Orange.
Is it possible that I am being pushed to look elsewhere? Maybe this Moore guy?
Stay tuned. The summer stench of DC politics is rising.
Sorry Fenty. Maybe my choice needs a much closer look.

Posted by: Fenty Friend | August 2, 2006 5:48 PM

Last time I checked their websites the "Front Runners" were choking in the dust of their dry platforms. Sounds like the same yakety-yak from past elections.

On the other hand, as much as I really hate to admit it, the GOP hopeful sounds fresh, edgy and on point with much of what bugs me about living here over the last 22 years.

Maybe it is time for "real change" as he says. If anyone has heard or seen him at forums, give me the scoop.

With one more kid to get through D.C. schools, I'm really liking his plan for the city's education system.

Too bad I can't vote for him in the Primary. But Dennis Moore, after reading and re-reading his website, has a good chance in November. A chance I am less willing to take on the same old somebodies in my own party.

Posted by: Foggy Bottom | August 2, 2006 7:50 PM

Posted by: George Bush vs Jeff Fisher | August 2, 2006 11:21 PM

If the so-called frontrunners (Democrats) are thinning so early, what's happening with the backrunners? Well, having a spare 2 hours to surf candidate websites, I found out: The Green Party is still on one message, and the remaining Democratic hopefuls have no message that sticks for me. The Republicans have Dennis Moore and David Kranich. Between these two, Kranich is predictable and laughable. After listening to Moore's website interview from WPFW radio and reading his "10-Point Action Plan", I have to admit for a Republican he's got teeth and substance. But are D.C. voters ready to break from their usual voting herd? Am I ready to elect a Republican for D.C. mayor? Maybe...if we have the guts to admit that electing from the same quality of candidates, then expecting different and better results is insane. Besides, having elected two Republican mayors in a row, what do ultra-Liberal New York City voters know that we should already know?

Posted by: Georgetowner | August 3, 2006 8:49 AM

Today's Post reflected that Fenty was showing his inexperience. He was asking skilled and mature mayors what a mayor should do. He himself has no platforms, policies, or programs. In four years (maybe eight) after he receives more training and tutoring, Fenty may be ready to be mayor. But not now. he District does not need a mayor in training. He has sound bites, but no substance. Every candidate has warts and issues. But I do not feel comfortable with one of the least experienced candidates running this city. He can perform a better civic service to his ward, and at times to the city, as a whole, by staying on the Council. His time may come. Not now. Johns says she is experienced, but some reports are that she was not the big executive she claims to be. Just what did she do at Verizon--which has a very small office in D.C.? As for Orange: he is a likable fellow and has good business sense. He should be given an important role in the next administration. But he will not be mayor--he does not have the votes. Some feel that Brown is much more articulate and capable of understanding issues than Fenty. He just is not very well known. Cropp clearly has the most experience and has platforms and proposals that go way past what Mayor Williams has done. She also has the respect of congress, the governors or Va. and Md., with whom a future mayor must work, and the support of council members (except for Fenty) even if they have disagreed with her on specific issues. It seems that she is the most qualified.

Posted by: N | August 3, 2006 1:09 PM

Will someone (anyone) compare and grade the candidates on REAL issues and plans!
Cropp, Fenty, Moore, Orange, Brown and Johns.
I doubt we can afford to elect anyone anymore based on perceptions.
Experience and likeability is fine, but the bottom line is what has it really done to improve the District for most residents?
If a clear and real plan with depth is the guideline, I rate Cropp (3), Fenty (6), Moore (1), Orange (2), Brown (5), and Johns (4).
But, I'm open to more facts and enlightenment.

Posted by: Eastern Marketeer | August 3, 2006 1:53 PM

It has come to my attention that avid and aware Washington Post readers have been blogging about my campaign for District of Columbia mayor. I thank you all for your candid comments and constructive criticisms, as they are affirmations of my reasons for being a mayoral candidate.

Frankly, some have expressed whether a traditional empowerment oriented Republican candidate has a snowball's chance in South Hell of winning in a Democratic dominated and dependent DC. From my perspective, the real question is about the readiness of District residents for real change to a standard of governance that is genuinely and consistently focused on people-oriented priorities.

Having worked over 28 years in the corporate and federal sectors, as well as in District government public affairs in the offices of the Chief Financial Officer and two superintendents of the DC Public Schools, I am intimately aware of what is broken and how it can be fixed. Moreover, I am fully aware of the will, tactics and determination it takes to achieve genuinely effective change in the face of known and potential obstacles. That's the easy part.

The hardest parts are restoring the faith of thousands of District citizens in our local government to effectively deliver, be truly accountable to its citizens, and demonstrate a consistent level of respect for the people they are paid to serve.

Regardless and beyond any political label, yours or mine, my bottom line is genuine socioeconomic empowerment for every DC citizen that prefers to succeed rather than just survive. Whether you work hard to earn $10,000 or $100,000 each year, you are paying for full accountability, fiscal responsibility and effective delivery of government services. Simply, it's the difference between setting the priority and focus to build a new baseball stadium (a want) in less than two years, and creating a first class school system (a need) in two years. More simply, it's about not spending the rent money to by lottery tickets.

It is also the difference between using taxpayer dollars to sustain permanent (long term) residents versus transient residents. A detailed non-political sorting and filtering of census data will show the factual difference between those who have come to stay beyond 5 years, and those who have relocated to more affordable locations near and beyond the District.

Any visitor to my website (http://www.MooreForPeople.com) will clearly understand I have a real sense of urgency about providing effective leadership and consistent results. Zero-tolerance rooted in proactive and preventative public safety tactics are a part of this sense of urgency to avoid declaring an "emergency." Equally, we are paying for the delivery of a student-focused first class education system, efficient health and environmental services, genuinely affordable housing with ownership, and innovative use of resources that sustain real socioeconomic empowerment for every District citizen. These core components empower a city-state to equitably succeed, improve and prosper.

Above all, every District of Columbia taxpaying citizen has the right to expect and receive genuine respect and full accountability from every public servant we hire (elect) to serve us. As mayor, this will be my own personal and professional standard. It will also be a standard I will completely hold everyone (from the highest executive to the most recently hired clerk) in District government fully accountable for in the effective delivery of the services you pay for with your tax dollars and votes.

It is no mistake, or pretentious feel good slogan, that my campaign is "For People" as opposed to just being the usual and predictable "For Mayor" candidate.

I respectfully welcome your feedback at my website or directly at my e-mail address: MooreForPeople@gmail.com

Dennis Moore - Mayor For A New Washington

Posted by: Mayoral Candidate Dennis Moore | August 4, 2006 11:31 AM

It would be nice if individuals would focus on their issues and detail what THEY are going to do for DC. Make a statement.

Posted by: Make a Statement | August 5, 2006 12:14 AM

Hey Janet--Sorry but I've been away from my reading for awhile, but I agree with you.
Fenty needs to answer questions about Skinner and his role in a Fenty Administration. But if there is truth in the following article written by Duncan Spencer for the May 24, 2006 issue of the Hill newspaper, then we are also owed an answer from Linda Cropp concerning the old line Barry cronies in her campaign and what role they will play in her administration. The article is printed below.

CROPP OF YAWNS
Tony's dull decision

Need more proof that Mayor Tony Williams (D) is bored out of his skull?

Item: His mayoral-race endorsement of the city's tedious, unimaginative, business-as-usual City Council chairwoman, Linda Cropp (D). Sadly, it was inevitable that Cropp, who operates out of sight and behind closed doors, and whose only great attribute is patient ambition, should get Williams' nod.

Mrs. Cropp, a failure on the school board, hack as a City Council member, fumbler and backtracker as chairwoman, taker of all sides of a position, will usher in the new post-Williams era under a cloud of euphemisms, clichés and old Marion Barry cronies.

There seems little chance that voters will revolt against Cropp, even though she is as different from Williams as chalk to cheese. Without a crisis to awaken voters, her closest challenger, Adrian Fenty (D-Ward 4), is seriously damaged and the other candidates will split the anti-Cropp vote.

Cropp has quite naturally surrounded herself with political relics of the dysfunctional Barry era. In fact she's married to one of them, Dwight Cropp, a senior Barry adviser, a man who has defended Barry for turning City Hall into a job bank.

Dwight Cropp left politics to become a professor at George Washington University in 1989, the year before Barry was arrested and charged in the infamous crack cocaine sting. Barry associates' names include Elijah Rogers, Marshall Brown and Max Berry, and, according to veteran reporter Harry Jaffe, even Ivanhoe Donaldson, Barry crony and Barry's top strategist in his first mayoral campaign, a man who went to jail for embezzling city funds, is indirectly involved, working for Cropp pollster Diane Feldman.

These connections don't prove that Cropp is another Barry; it's generational. Barry and Cropp arrived in D.C. the same year (1965) both served on the school board, both came up through the City Council. The institutional memory and the mind-set are parallel. But don't look for Barry's charm or his in-your-face attitude toward Congress.

The primary is now hers to lose. The most voters can hope for is that she will be a faithful trustee of the Williams trust fund -- an inheritor, not a creator. The danger is that the cronies are smiling, ready and waiting to revive the bad old days of Barry, and soon may well have free access to 1 Judiciary Square.

Posted by: Glover Park South | August 5, 2006 5:09 PM

I can only rate Johns and Moore....both are number 1 for me on quality, experience and depth....Orange, Fenty, and Cropp are the same old slippery boxes in different shapes. But, why are the Republicans fielding a mayoral candidate who can't win? If I have to vote for a GOP candidate (Kranich) with no platform, experience or clue, what is my vote really worth? It seems as if the worst Democratic choices are better than who I'd prefer to vote for (Moore) this year....another year when the DC Republicans will be viewed as the local joke party. If they ever find a qualified candidate to run, hopefully he or she won't be anyone like this Kranich candidate....bland-bland-bland....an obvious cardboard cutout.

Posted by: Sickandtired | August 8, 2006 8:14 AM

Too bad I can't vote for any of the Democrats in the Primary. I saw David Kranich at the 4th of July parade getting petition signatures and I signed for him. I watched him last night on WTOP's forum of Republican candidates. We're going to lose again, BIG TIME! What was the local GOP committee thinking? Mr. Kranich shows no depth or distinction, much less about what he can or will DO! And what ARE his qualifications for DOING it anyway? In other words, he has no clue or plan that I heard. If this is the best we have as DC Republicans, then we deserve to be ignored. Is it too late to get another GOP mayor candidate BEFORE we're embarrassed at the polls AGAIN? My advice: stop the bobble-head rehearsed campaign rhetoric. Even better, find a REAL candidate that is qualified, plus can and wants to win beyond the Primary. Then again, maybe he's just a flag holder but not a real soldier in our charge for victory. Yes! as another blogger above said, Kranich comes off as "our local version of Dan Quayle." Kudos to ward 6 candidate Antonio Williams, the only one on the panel who distinquished himself.

Posted by: P from Palisades | August 9, 2006 9:34 AM

You're so right!
I listen on radio, then watched later on News Channel 8.
Kranich is a totally bad choice for us DC GOPers.
Dennis Moore is our last best hope to gain political respect and integrity in D.C.
Experience and a well thought-out plan does count.
The WTOP forum (promotional stunt) convinced me absolutely that Moore is our best and only choice.
After the last 3 elections, I never gave the Dems a serious thought.

Posted by: Potomacman | August 9, 2006 6:34 PM

I'm no political analyst, but I finally figured out why the local GOP club cannot get behind Dennis Moore for mayor and prefer to support David Kranich. Moore is too real, knowledgeable, down-to-earth, experienced, and likeable in ways that might draw people into the local committee that don't fit their tight social and economic demographic. I now fully understand why council member Catania couldn't and wouldn't hang with them any longer. It's really too bad.

After going to Moore's and Kranich's websites, it becomes all too obvious. Kranich is their type, bland and moldable. I also listened to the radio interview on Moore's site too, and it's a very information loaded site as well. I truly felt I know what he stands for and what he will deliver.

Kranich's interview clips were faulty and didn't play well. The information read like filler and no real details about his government experience and actual plans. He clearly sounds like he stands for nothing but a cliche campaign grin.

Perhaps that's a clear sign of what the local Republican committee stands for too. For the few GOP voters left in DC I hope not. We Democrats need a real challenge to shake things up to make true change.

The local Republican party make being a Democrat in DC very easy. But, that won't stop me from voting for Dennis Moore in November. I hope he hangs in, and it sounds like he can. I may be a Democrat, but I'm not stupid enough to vote for those so-called "front runners" either. They have run out of ideas, credibility, and accountability. Oops! I'm sounding like an Independent.

Since most of the media won't do it, for us informed DC voters who want to get a little more enlightened about the (obvious best) choice between Republicans Moore or Kranich for DC mayor, go to:

The Democrats are easy to find. Happy voting!

Posted by: Dupont Dude | August 10, 2006 12:33 PM

wow, has this board ever been hijacked by Dennis Moore.

And now I can't get that stupid Monty Python sketch out of my head. "More Bloody Lupins?!"

Posted by: ww | August 18, 2006 12:33 PM

I have looked at both of the websites Dupont Dude talked about and when he says Moore's site is "information loaded" he's right but not exactly a good thing. By the time I read a bit into the site, I had no idea what he was talking about because there is so much wording on the site itself along with poster ads for other organzations. Looking at Kranich's site, you know what he is trying to do for the city without it having to take 3 hours out of the day reading the site.

Posted by: A | August 19, 2006 11:54 AM

I've been to both Kranich's and Moore's websites too. The devil is in the details Mr. or Ms. "A"...if you're not able to read beyond candidate filler and fluff, then its no wonder we end up with mayor mistakes time after time. Moore, despite his length of detail, gives me a real sense of knowing what and who I'm voting for...and it's not more than what a high school senior would have to read. Hopefully your vote is worth more than shallow campaign rhetoric. I'm voting for Dennis Moore because he tells me more.

Posted by: CD-DC | August 20, 2006 7:58 PM

Ditto Dupont Dude and CD-DC.
Dennis Moore is truly impressive.If Dave Kranich thinks that he can insult the intelligence of informed voters, what kind of chaos will he bring to his job as mayor.
We don't need a trainee with no government experience or a clear plan he can't or won't talk about to run our fragile city.
Any half informed Republican knows that and voters of others parties will ignore him as a joke in November.
We can no longer continue to be the joke party in D.C.
Dennis Moore gives us credibility and integrity as serious competitors. In fact, I'd rate him better on substance than most of the Democrat choices.
MOORE not less!!

Posted by: Brooklander | August 21, 2006 10:05 AM

I know this race is basiclly between Fenty and Cropp that has been made clear with the commericals and the ad running but I think the given a chance the underdog can make a change that is what DC really needs: A fresh voice and new coat of paint which what David Kranich will provide.
I look forward to hearing from him more.

Posted by: Outside DC | September 5, 2006 2:15 PM