Print Columns   |   Web Chats   |   Blog Archives   |

Loco in MoCo--How to Spoil a Reputation

(The column from today's paper.)

This has been building and we didn't see it coming. When Montgomery County -- land of good schools, fancy cars and a lawyer on every block -- suffered through a series of bizarre crimes a few years back, we dismissed them as examples of Loco MoCo, anomalies of life in an affluent enclave.

But now we've gone from odd crimes to distressing scandals, and yesterday Montgomery managed to throw into question the very foundation of its reputation as the quintessential smooth-running suburb.

Though the District of Columbia apparently pulled off an efficient and non-controversial election, Montgomery voters yesterday morning were shut out of the polls and fed wildly contradictory explanations at various polling places. Some people went out to vote and came home without having been permitted to do so.

At one point, I would not have been surprised to see those who did manage to cast a ballot holding up their ink-stained thumbs as gleeful proof that they had exercised their franchise. Well, maybe not: Iraq's ink-on-finger system may be too complicated for Montgomery election officials.

When things were going great in Montgomery, when County Executive Doug Duncan was writing checks in the mega-millions to build a world-class concert hall and a new downtown Silver Spring, we could look at the weird crimes that came along and ascribe them to the social rot that stems from too much wealth:

Ruthann Aron, a former candidate for the U.S. Senate who lived in Potomac, schemed to kill her husband and another man by hiring a hit man. She resorted to outsourcing only because her previous plan, offing hubby by poisoning his chili, hadn't worked out.

A Bethesda woman who worked for the State Department broke into the home of her best friend's estranged husband, bit him on the hand and shot him in the leg. The getaway car: a new silver Volvo.

The county police went after prostitutes, not by availing themselves of the offered services but by hiring informers at $100 a pop to take on the dirty work. Loco MoCo.

But politically, Montgomery seemed sound. The rest of Maryland could be disdainful about the county -- Montgomery is Maryland's Massachusetts, the butt of a thousand jokes because of its ultra-liberal politics -- but in the end, they were just jealous.

Then, the weirdness spread beyond the police log. Last year in Clarksburg, the county government allowed wholesale violations of the building plans for a huge development, a blow to Montgomery's reputation for good planning. This summer, Duncan found himself entangled in a local offshoot of the Jack Abramoff lobbying scandal.

Now this. My friend Ann was still shaking with anger and disappointment hours after she was forced to leave her Bethesda voting station without any solution to an apparent software glitch that led the machine to eat her vote. When you get past the silliness of candidates' TV ads and the corruption of how we pay for campaigns, voting is one of the most powerful and emotional acts in our lives.

Elections Board President Nancy Dacek, a committed and honest political figure, quickly announced her regrets over the mess at the polling places. But regrets are not enough; if you can't get Election Day right, elections ought not be your line of work.

Yesterday's foul-up was blamed on human stupidity -- the failure to include computer cards in the packages that go out to polling places. Obviously a mess of this magnitude points to a systemic problem, too. Every bill you've ever paid carries a reminder to make sure your check is in the envelope.

The cumulative impact of the county's recent scandals has been to erode the sense that Montgomery was a place that works. For many years, suburban critics of the D.C. voting rights movement have scoffed at the idea that a city so deeply mired in corruption and incompetence would dare to battle for the right to be represented in Congress.

Based on yesterday's events, I have an idea: Until the county gets its act together, why don't we suspend Montgomery's voting rights and transfer them to the District? Can you say Congressman Barry?

By Marc Fisher |  September 13, 2006; 8:13 AM ET
Previous: You Be the Pundit: Primary Predictions | Next: MoCo Vote Mess: Tales from the Front

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Well Marc, it's nice to see someone such as yourself extend the benefit of the doubt to others, to resist the impulse to be snide and trivialize a problem, to refuse to cast the first stone, to remove the log from your own eye before calling attention to the mote in the eye of another. NOT!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 13, 2006 8:50 AM

Nancy Dacek might well be a "committed and honest political figure", but she is obviously still stuck in a time of pencils and paper. Does she even use a computer at home?

Posted by: W | September 13, 2006 8:51 AM

A woman hired to kill her husband and another broke in and bit some one and that condemns a whole county because it must be the county's fault somehow ...and suddenly DC is a better place to be ? Hopefully your esteemed self will be moving there post-haste, if indeed you live in Montgomery now.
This was, forgive me for saying, a singularily stupid and needlessly mean piece of writing. Did not really expect that out of you.

Posted by: Glad To Be in Montgomery | September 13, 2006 8:56 AM

DC has a long way to go before anybody there can bad mouth ANYPLACE else. As far as your final comment: "Can you say Congressman Barry?"

I can. Then I laugh till I puke.

Posted by: morethan2activebraincells | September 13, 2006 9:23 AM

MoCo has long been the quintessential image machine. Bury the bad news and extrapolate the good news (even if it's unjustifiable extrapolation). Their leaders excel at it like nothing else. Check the crime blotters in the Gazette (remember 2 separate murders at highschools last year). As far as schools, the big 3 (in the western half of the county) have far far better SAT scores than the rest of the schools. They're not even remotely close. But you get fed that Great Schools lie constantly. The dirty truth: 90% of MoCo is no different than 90% of ANY suburban jurisdiction in terms of amenities and quality of goverment, safety, etc. It's nice to the truth in print finally.

Posted by: About time | September 13, 2006 9:23 AM

Do us in Montgomery County (not MoCo as you stupidly call it) a favor Marc. Stay in the District. Don't come to Montgomery County for our shops, restaurants, quality public schools, parks and recreation. Stay in a disfuntional city where crackheads are elected mayor, schools crumble and produce human debts on society, and basic services are not met. Try cleaning up the mess that is your own yard before disparaging your neighbor's.

Posted by: Happy in MoCo | September 13, 2006 9:28 AM

Marc, I know it ws a late night for you last night, so go home and get some sleep, then try writting another column.

Posted by: WB | September 13, 2006 9:36 AM

MoCo has its good days and its bad days, like any other place-- remember the recent 'Homeland Security' vice squad raid on the library? C'est la guerre. The difference is in what happens next. I agree that there have been too many instances lately where bureaucrats have apparently forgotten who they are working for-- the good news is that they don't get away with it.

Posted by: Bethesda Guy | September 13, 2006 9:51 AM

Guess satire is lost on some of you this morning because Marc had the temerity to suggest for Monkey County what some are all too quick to mention when they find out about problems in DC.

Just remember there are people all over this region who are trying to improve the places where they live.

DC should have representation in Congress because we, too, are Americans. Or do some of you wish to keep the short-sighted belief that some Americans matter and others don't?

Posted by: Dirrtysw | September 13, 2006 10:03 AM

Great article...pay no attention to my thin-skinned neighbors. I'm surprised that no one has blamed Karl Rove for the problems yet.

Posted by: rickb | September 13, 2006 10:08 AM

The first half of this column was pointless; we don't need the background for the phrase "LoCo in MoCo."

This does not, however, excuse the widespread problems with yesterday's voting in Montgomery County.

Marc, you should focus more on the "software glitch" experienced by your friend yesterday. While the missing cards have been widely reported, if indeed votes were "eaten" by software issues, THAT'S THE STORY.
Don't we all use these machines? Are there reports of machines eating votes elsewhere? Are the votes lost or can techies retrieve them? If we use the same software statewide, and machines, this seems like a pretty important problem.

I hope, Marc, that you'll look into the vote eating machines (after you sleep).

Posted by: jrp | September 13, 2006 10:08 AM

To Happy in Moco
1. Its dysfunctional not "disfunctional". I guess they don't teach you spelling in those quality public schools in Montgomery County?
3. There are problems in Montgomery County: lack of affordable housing, traffic congestion, over-crowded schools, increased gang violence etc.
4. Contrary to popular belief, there are actually quality public schools in DC, i.e. Oyster, Banneker, Murch, Deal, Ross, Janney, Schools without Walls, etc.
5. Additionally, there are many quality shops and culture activities in DC.

Posted by: Washington DC | September 13, 2006 10:27 AM

Left MoCo long time ago and never looked back, life is much better on this side of the Potomac despite what some Wisteria Lane residents pretend us to believe.

Can you guys actually walk to a restaurant over there?, we can.

Posted by: Happy in Arlington | September 13, 2006 10:33 AM

To: Happy in Arlington.

I'm glad you're happy in Arlington. Been to Bethesda lately? Yes, I can walk to lotsa restaurants.

Posted by: Bethesda Guy | September 13, 2006 10:38 AM

Good for you, seriously. However, I can't say the same for the folks beyond River Rd. and Falls Rd, as well as similar areas around.
I agree, Bethesda has better times now (my favorite spots: Jaleo, Divino Lounge among others), it should be Montgomery County's answer to Arlington if well planned.

Posted by: Happy in Arlington | September 13, 2006 10:48 AM

"2. "Crackheads elected mayor"? Wow, what an original criticism. I find it hypocritical in our society that when public officials make personal mistakes in their life; apologize; and seek help and/or punish, their mistakes are always thrown back at them time and time again. Let it go. Even though I personally don't agree with many of Barry's political views at all, everyone deserves a second chance."

And a 3rd, and a 4th...Are you serious? The man still does drugs (maybe not crack, but has been found in possession of pot), drives drunk, and makes a fool of himself everytime he opens his mouth. And I think being caught smoking crack while mayor of a major US city is more than enough justification for criticism. What a clown.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 13, 2006 10:51 AM

I'm a DC resident and think transfering MoCo's voting rights to DC is an excellent idea. That said, not everything went smoothly in the district for election day. The government did send out a mailing guide to residents a few weeks ago that identified voter's polling stations incorrectly. Once I found the right place to report to, though, casting my ballot was surprisingly straight forward. Thanks to everyone who helped out yesterday!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 13, 2006 10:54 AM

LOL, i grew up in Loco Moco, but now reside in PG...maybe Im upwardly mobile after all.

Posted by: pete | September 13, 2006 11:05 AM

Indeed, mention the mess in the AM, but there were MANY more "glitches" than that.

The new machines for verifying regestration crashed repeatedly - forcing the voter in question to use a provisional ballot - in otherwise a useless bunch a paperwork. A former election judge told me most "provisonals" are thrown out as not pristinely correct.

Then they extended an hour for voting: HOWEVER all voting after 8pm had to be done on provisional ballots....yah, right - kiss those babies good bye. Of course they could vote on provisional ballots IF the polling place had any proviosnal ballot....my polling place had three Democratic provisional ballots left at 3:45 pm...how many did they have at 8PM?

This was an unforgiveable mess and voter disenfranchisment.

Posted by: voteless in MoCo | September 13, 2006 11:12 AM

The only problem I had was an election judge trying to look over my shoulder as I voted. I shifted over and she still tried to look.

Posted by: Frederick, MD | September 13, 2006 11:35 AM

Mark,

I'm curious how LoCo MoCo is going to call many of their races. I just saw the Gazette called the Ida Rubin Jamie Raskin race. However, over 60% of the ballots appear to be uncounted (looking at the preliminary results on the LoCo MoCo's Board of Elections Web site). IN a normal election, I wouldn't be surprised by the call (especially if there were exit polls to back up the votes that had been counted). But, 60% of those ballots are most likely provisional and absentee (any electronic votes would be tallied by now). Statistically, the provisional voters and electronic voters could vote quite differently.

Posted by: Emily, Silver Spring | September 13, 2006 11:36 AM

Voteless in MoCo:...but you did get to exercise the franchise. For years that my husband was in the Army I voted absentee knowing that, if necessary, my vote was there for the counting, even though the state was so tilted one way.

According to something that I read this morning, they will start counting the Montgomery County provisional ballots on Monday. The race for Comptroller is so close that all votes need to be counted because of the large number of paper ballots in Montgomery County.

Posted by: Wheaton Resident | September 13, 2006 11:42 AM

Marc - my lord, is this all you had to write about? I've lived in Marlyand (PG and MoCo) for 8 years and I've never heard "LoCo"! How does a set of unrelated, non-geographically-specific crimes hang together to create a full picture of the county? Yes, those were bizarre and high profile as were the snipers, but the tragedy and the news story is the juvenile crime rate in DC, the expansion of gangs like MS13 into VA and MD, the continuing gang violence in DC....

Yes, the error was a profoundly serious error with a huge impact and should be mocked for its singular stupidity, but it's not a particularly strange error nor does it reflect at all on the county but rather one small group of officials and a contractor.

too much of a stretch........

Posted by: LoBlo | September 13, 2006 11:42 AM

I think we need to contract Halliburton to clean up this mess!

Posted by: D.C. | September 13, 2006 11:57 AM

One word comes to mind:hyperbolic.
I had no trouble at my voting location after work (in fact, there were about five people voting, so no lines, either). - But stringing together random crimes is silly and doesn't address the complaint, which were the voting issues, right?
At any rate, to suggest this is satire is a bit much; having read and studied satire, let me just say, if you have to point out that it _is_ satire, it isn't (or poorly done).

Posted by: Okay... | September 13, 2006 12:19 PM

I'm proud to live in the best run county in the region, if not the country.

Viva Arlington!

Posted by: Arlington | September 13, 2006 12:30 PM

DC is a District not a State. It is the United STATES of America. Therefore, no vote for DC. This was explained to Elanor Holmes Norton on my show a few weeks back.

Posted by: Stephen Colbert | September 13, 2006 12:55 PM

I suppose reason or critical thought was a bit too much to ask for, eh Marc? (Or is the occasional, "heck, let's just write batty material because it ups my response rate on the blog and gives the illusion of reader engagement?" column just part of your MO?)

By most every metric of governance--economic, education, social welfare, health, etc.--Montgomery County excels over the District. is it an unfair comparison because of different political realities? Sure. But if you're really going to try and make the stretched "my home political turf is better than yours... or... or... um, yours kind of sucks at points too?" argument, then you better be prepared for a reality check. The County isn't perfect. None are. But frankly, it's far from the disgrace that DC remains. (I say that genuinely liking DC and having lived and been civicly active in DC far longer than I have in Montgomery County.)

Am I embarrassed and upset by our county's mistake at yesterday's election? Absolutely! But I'm also darn proud of the outrage and sense of civic duty and civic rights expressed by my fellow county residents. Shaking with anger at questions of whether a vote was handled correctly and will be counted--that's great! The situation is terrible, but that kind of civic attitude and engagement is what's going to help make sure this problem doesn't occur again.

Would I expect something like that to happen in the District? Sure. (The voting guides giving wrong information about where to go was a stellar blunder, and then if you called the District voting telephone assistance line yesterday to get accurate polling location information you found that that system wasn't operating either.) The difference: in Montgomery County we're surprised, angered, and darn well going to make sure this doesn't happen again. In the District, there's a long enough pattern of this that you're more likely to find resignation and apathy.

Couldn't get to your poll? Polls opening late? Blah blah blah... same as it ever was attitude in the District.

So yeah, we'll take our lumps. But we'll do better, because we've come to expect better, and, fundamentally as a county, we've succeeded where the DC voting population has failed.

Posted by: John | September 13, 2006 1:06 PM

Bringing a new system up is always a problem. I think the problem is that things didn't go 100% perfect. If this had been the District implementing a new voting system it would have been declared a success, even with gliches. In Montgomery we have such high expectations that anything less than perfection gets picked on.

I would far rather live in MC than in DC. My snow gets removed, my trash is picked up, the schools do their best.

Posted by: RoseG | September 13, 2006 1:11 PM

Can you spell SATIRE. That's S-A-T-I-R-E. A reasonable definition of satire, then, is "a literary manner which blends a critical attitude with humor and wit to the end that human institutions or humanity may be improved" People chill!! I am a native Washingtonian who has lived in MoCO for the last 14 years. I have much love for both areas. They all have the Good, The Bad and the Ugly.

Posted by: Angela | September 13, 2006 1:43 PM

Are all of you the same people who complained to Weingarten about his critique of Tony K? Angela is right - it was satire.

Posted by: Arlington, VA | September 13, 2006 1:49 PM

"I am a native Washingtonian who has lived in MoCO for the last 14 years. I have much love for both areas. They all have the Good, The Bad and the Ugly."

Who's that, Williams, Haircut, and William Donald?

Posted by: HA! | September 13, 2006 1:52 PM

From his article: "Now this. My friend Ann was still shaking with anger and disappointment hours after she was forced to leave her Bethesda voting station without any solution to an apparent software glitch that led the machine to eat her vote."

So, if this is satire, this is funny, right? - No, this is a real complaint, and stories thrown in about murder-for-hire are real, along with his other examples.

Weingarten's piece was clearly satire, making mistakes in analyzing Tony K that one understood right away as jokes (well, except for the meatheads who wrote him).
Marc's piece, on the other hand, isn't funny at all (seriously, were you laughing? ). Looking at the definition provided, I see the criticism, but where's the wit? humor? Heck, where's the "improvement of humanity"?
Please, I don't care that it's critical of MoCo, but let's not try to define it as anything so literary as satire (Pope is spinning!).

Posted by: Nope, not satire | September 13, 2006 2:34 PM

Another native Washingtonian who has split time living in DC and MoCo. I have loved living both places but from what my DC parent friends tell me, I was lucky to have primarily gone to MoCo public schools. MoCo deserves the jab on the election snafu and DC voters deserve full voting rights. However, part of the wonderfully interesting political culture in DC is based on the collective chip on its shoulders because of the lack of voting rights. It might not be quite as much fun when its removed. But who said Democracy was fun?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 13, 2006 2:37 PM

I'm a lifelong resident of MoCo, and I'm proud of my community. But I must share much of Marc's sentiment from his column today. The arrogance of many of my neighbors grows tiresome. And the quotes today from some of our political "leaders" is shameful-- "How could this happen in SUCH A FORWARD THINKING PLACE like MoCo?"

Gimme a break.

It's like the scene we witnessed at the 4th of July celebration in Germantown this summer-- politicians tripping over each other to be seen. Don't they realize that we were there to have a nice time with family and friends? They really should stop taking themselves so seriously.

Posted by: Pnyph S. | September 13, 2006 2:55 PM

You know, I've always thought the "can you spell [whatever concept you want to bring up]" made a lot more sense in the context of kindergarten bickering than it does among adults trying to have a conversation. But, that's another topic entirely...

Anyhow, if you best work with the kiddy rhetoric and name calling:
Yes, I can spell satire. Whew! Glad to know that Ph.D. education wasn't a total waste. You, however, seem a bit challenged in that department. Marc's piece certainly doesn't have the tone of a satire. Maybe if we talk about Montgomery County voters eating the MoCo Board of Election as a reasonable proposition, then we could talk satire. No, this is snarky piece (ahhh... now I can see how it's appealing to your apparently sensibilities) with some petty attacks, maybe even an intentional overstatement or two, but hardly wholly satire.

It is, however, daft. Deeply, deeply daft. If you and/or Marc want to quickly try and cover up its stupidity with a quick resort to "umm, never mind... this wasn't to be taken seriously... just total satire..." as way of muting critique, go ahead. I don't intend to buy into it.

Posted by: John | September 13, 2006 3:13 PM

MoCo is a very sensitive place.

Posted by: Hogboss | September 13, 2006 3:35 PM

Everyone deserves a little tweaking every now and then to keep them honest.

MoCounty is still a nice place to live but people shouldn't just assume it's going to stay that way without hard work.

Hopefully the new county executive can lead a return tot he excellence residents expect.

Posted by: A. John | September 13, 2006 4:02 PM

Marc, you're right on about the election mistakes -- I've worked in several other counties over the years and there are so many checklists involving Election Day that it would blow your mind -- it's like someone with major obsessive compulsive disorder created them. This is why Montgomery County's mistakes are unbelievable and I hope County officials are horrified -- this was a disaster and this should never happen in a progressive county -- it's really, really bad.

Posted by: Someone who's worked on previous election days | September 13, 2006 4:07 PM

Wow thank goodness we have folks who made it thru Kindergarten and have a Phd to guide us. I am not challenged just not uptight like so many of you. Folks get up off your high horses.
I guess iI missed the name calling part. I may need to go back to school and get a Phd.

Posted by: Angela | September 13, 2006 4:10 PM

Wow thank goodness we have folks who made it thru Kindergarten and have a PhD to guide us. I am not challenged just not uptight like so many of you. Folks get up off your high horses.
I guess iI missed the name calling

Posted by: Angela | September 13, 2006 4:13 PM

I served as a check-in judge at Sligo Middle School in Silver Spring. I am truly appalled by the situation which occured at my site and others. My list of complaints is long, and I see that similar complaints have been raised by other election judges. Montgomery County has two months to get things right. It is incumbent upon every citizen and every politician to demand immediate answers and correction action.

Posted by: June Jeffries | September 13, 2006 4:52 PM

Blame the Maryland politicians who institute crazy laws that force election boards to implement new technology in a dangerously short period of time which means that they must focus on everything but the "basics."

As a Chief Election Judge, I can tell you that the Election Board's focus was on getting us trained on how to use the NEW electronic pollbooks.

The whole process has become increasingly convoluted and its sad.

I think I'll give it up after the November election and I'm sure others are following suit.

As with any other city/county, you have good and bad in both DC/MC.

Posted by: Chief Election Judge | September 13, 2006 6:17 PM

There are more things in MoCo that will be coming down the (Rockville)Pike over the next few years.
The plan to develop the city of Rockville will turn out to be another ghost town a-la Rockville Mall as the housing boom crashes, no-one wants to buy the overpriced condos, and no retailers want to rent the space because difficulty parking discourages shopping.
The abandoned Canyon Ranch project by Walter Johnson HS.
The endless effort to try to redevelop Silver Spring.
The lowering of tax revenue as the real estate reverses in value, and the reduction in tranfer taxes as sales slow.
How about the Wash Post do an investigation of the liquor distribution buisiness MoCo operates, why it exists and whether it loses money or is involved with political contributions.
Can anyone thing of more things that the WashPo can do stories of. They need to get their circulation up.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 13, 2006 8:02 PM

Aww, Angela, you're getting so upset about the academic degree that now you're thwapping the submit key repeatedly? Sure WaPo's blog interface is a bit pokey at times, but it's just a conversation. Patience. Relax.

Seriously now... first you imply my lack of an education with your snarky "can you spell sarcasm?" bit, and then you do a 360 and decide to get populist-angsty about mentioning higher ed.? Please consider stopping your wholly personal attacks. (And your last note was *entirely* that, without substantive discussion.) I don't think it's interesting, constructive, or even just decent to go around being personally nasty to complete strangers. Can't we at least agree that these online discussions should be a smidge civil?

If you're curious, or at least seem to really want to dwell on it, I don't think of my academic background as any particularly big or special deal--maybe worth mentioning when someone things I can't spell short words, but in general it's nothing outrageously special, particularly here in Montgomery County, and especially here in Bethesda, which boasts a population where 49% of the folks have graduate degrees. :-)

Again, Marc's column was off the mark and made some daft and unwarranted remarks about Montgomery County. And he wrote it in what reads as a really nasty and invidious comparison with DC. I'm sorry you don't want him called out on it and want to manufacture excuses for it, but I don't agree.

Posted by: John | September 13, 2006 10:12 PM

Look, fancy degree and all, I still made typos in that last note. :-) Sorry for the blunder.

Posted by: John | September 13, 2006 10:14 PM

Shame on you for the typos, John. For that, we're going to inflict upon you a Bethesda parent's worst nightmare: All your children will have to attend public colleges. (Oh, the shame!)

Posted by: Vincent | September 14, 2006 1:23 AM

Ahh Vincent, I can't speak for my neighbors, but I happen to have a really high opinion of public colleges. Then again, my day gig is teaching at one -- so no small bit of bias there ;)

Posted by: John | September 14, 2006 8:21 AM

All bow down to the PhD! We are not worthy!

Posted by: Non-Post Hole Digger | September 14, 2006 9:19 AM

Oh but Dr John, you started the personal jab first. You related my comment to being in kindergarten and wanted so much to tell us about your PhD. My comment related to the fact there is good and bad in both and to relax. From your comments you must be like many of my PhD coworkers. No PhD here, but in their case they make so little money compared to me. Well we all know money means nothing. It's what's inside that counts. :>)

Posted by: Angela | September 14, 2006 3:07 PM

To the post from "Someone who's worked on previous election days"--

A "progressive county". Giimme a break. Enough of this balderdash.

Some awful mistakes were made on Tuesday. Heads should roll. Changes should be made.

But mistakes happen, EVEN IN MoCo.

Get off the high horse.

Posted by: Pnyph S. | September 15, 2006 10:54 AM

So now they admit that the programs that control the hi-tech voting machines CAN be rigged.

Some of us already thought so. The neocons who bamboozleded the uninformed masses into believing Bush the president actually "won" the elections of 2000 and 2004 told us, "He won. Get over it!".

Maybe we weren't "crazy sore losers", after all.

Posted by: CEEAF | September 23, 2006 11:20 PM