Print Columns   |   Web Chats   |   Blog Archives   |

Everybody Hates Us: Let's Eat Worms

A new book spelling out the many differences between Republicans and Democrats says that Dems have more sex in an average week than do Repos, but the Dems believe they have a lot less sex than other people. (Does this explain why the liberal alternative to conservative talk radio is so deadly boring?)

In the book, "A Hopelessly Partisan Guide to American Politics," authors Ken Berwitz (GOP) and Barry Sinrod (Dem) survey Americans on their private lives and try to sniff out cultural differences between left and right. But what they found overwhelming agreement on is that Washington, D.C. is home to the least nice people in the nation. We're right down there with L.A., which is not very nice at all. Bizarrely, Atlanta won the nicest people contest; at least we've apparently gotten over the usual cliche about Midwesterners being nicest. Personally, I'd go with New Yorkers as the nicest folks around, but then again, I have a rather aggressive definition of "nice."

In any event, we're not nice, Americans say. Could have fooled me--this is one of those unusual American cities where people randomly greet strangers on the street as if they actually knew one another. But of course, I'm not buying the notion that a city with the nicest people is a place I'd want to visit, let alone live in. I'd far prefer places that feature interestingly aggressive yet friendly people.

This new book says that Republicans would most like to live in Phoenix and Democrats want to live in Las Vegas. Both groups want least to live in New York. I'm getting more and more wary of this survey's methodology, but if they're right, I know one thing: I'm more certain than ever that both parties need some airing out; I'll stick with independents for now.

So, how nice are we really?

By Marc Fisher |  October 24, 2006; 7:58 AM ET
Previous: One Pundit Left Behind: Armstrong Williams | Next: Bobby Haircut and the WashPost

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

I think people get the impression that we're not nice by reading the Washington Post blogs. They also think we're not very smart. They don't realize that all those dumb, nasty posts are actually written by those rednecks from outside the beltway.

Posted by: KK | October 24, 2006 7:57 AM

NYC people are nice both on the surface and substantively. That is, they may not chitchat you up for hours if you are a stranger on the subway (which seems to be an odd test of niceness that a lot of people use), but they will show a lot of courteousness in everyday life. That is, they don't cut in line, they walk where they are supposed to, they observe everyday civility.

And at a deeper level, they are a lot less likely to hate you because you are black or gay or not a particular reason or whatnot. I've always been struck by how certain parts of America have the everyday public niceness down pat, but many of the citizens are ready to cut you to shreds if you aren't just like them. NYC is by and large not that way, perhaps because living cheek to jowl for so long has taught them that differences are often a good thing and their sense of self-worth allows for it.

DC is an odd mix. We have terrible public space manners. This is in large part because we're all terrified to make a scene and to call someone on boorish public behavior. The number of line-cutters in DC is astonishing. And I almost never see anyone call them on it. We're fairly tolerant of people not like us, which is good, but we don't seem to have the public manners thing down at all.

Posted by: Hillman | October 24, 2006 8:46 AM

Sorry. Previous post phrase in 2nd paragraph, first sentence, was supposed to be "not a particular religion". Sorry for the typo.

Posted by: Hillman | October 24, 2006 8:48 AM

I'd rather stab my eyes out than live in Las Vegas. DC is great, but I'd also love to live in New York.

Posted by: a democrat | October 24, 2006 9:06 AM

DC is full of Execs that are too busy typing in thier blackberry to speak. If you don't believe me just text the Future Mayor.

Posted by: hogboss | October 24, 2006 9:09 AM

Marc, any idea where a Silver Springer can find the plans for this Turf-killing ice rink? I just moved to the area and had no idea that's what they were putting there... I would love to see the plans in more detail.

Posted by: Silver Spring. MD | October 24, 2006 9:14 AM

I can remember only one line-jumping confrontation in my years in DC. A woman with a distinct & proper british accent scolded a man at the quick mart, "excuse me, but here in America we use a queue. Perhaps where you are from, you just burst forward, but now that you are in America, you must respect the queue".

The man didn't speak enough english to understand exactly what he was being asked to do, initially.

I suppose that everyone in Washington is in too much of a rush to be friendly. And yet, are people in NYC supposed to be in LESS of a hurry?

I suppose I've lived here too long, since I automatically expect that the only reason a stranger will speak to me is if they want money. In several other places I've been, that's not true at all. Here, the only exception seems to be tourists (who don't know better than to be friendly to strangers here). I suppose that young pretty women everywhere get "friendly" greetings from strangers that get realistically be considered anything but friendly. In fact, I heard a woman on NPR last month claim that she gets disgusting and inappropriate comments "5 or 6 times a day" living in NYC (!)

Posted by: mizerock | October 24, 2006 9:23 AM

I'd agree that if the place people want to live least (New York City) is the place where people have CHOSEN to live most (biggest population) then there's an error somewhere in their methodology. Something doesn't compute.

I find Washington, DC the city to be MUCH more friendly than the suburbs. This is particularly true of Fairfax and PG, but all counties have issues. When I moved into DC itself I met all kinds of neighbors who wave and smile on the street, who sit on porches and talk about new grandbabies and the weather and the day Adrian Fenty knocked on everyone's door.

I AM put off by tourists, however, and that may be the issue. There were these 11-12 yr old California girls who wouldn't stop asking us questions at the national mall- dumb questions about why DC doesn't host a parade every day like Disneyland. There was someone with a midwestern twang trying to convince anyone in earshot at the Smithsonian that Evolution was a fraud. Another couple asked pleasantly enough how we could STAND listening to people speaking different languages everywhere- and the people next to us were speaking African French, hardly something impossible to understand. I don't speak much french, but I can tell when someone's talking about going to the Musee D'Art. So if I upset some tourists by being callous or unfriendly, then I did. When they're in Rome they should do as the Romans do. New Yorkers feel the same way. Let them have Phoenix.

Posted by: Bethesdan | October 24, 2006 9:52 AM

Marc, about your opening paragraph, do you remember the TV series "Soap"? On one episode, Burt and Mary were discussing the Reagans' sex life, and Mary said, "I don't think Republicans do it." And this was when most Republicans were classic meat-and-potatoes small-government conservatives, not fire-and-brimstone bring-back-school-prayer fundamentalists

Posted by: Tonio | October 24, 2006 10:03 AM

Mizerock: You're quite lucky if you've seen only one linejumping in DC. Back when I rode Metro daily I'd see it nearly daily. Sometimes I'd call people on it, and they would be shocked that someone dared to call them on their selfish behavior. I see it constantly in traffic now, as people will travel up the road shoulder to cut off those of us that actually follow the rules.

Posted by: Hillman | October 24, 2006 10:04 AM

I think some people mistake "nice" for "good." I find New Yorkers and Washingtonians to be morally upstanding and courteous - these are some of the least judgmental, honest, civil people in the US. I actually find that most big cities have non-judgmental, honest and civil populations; probably comes from having to live in a diverse community. They may not have time for you, but neither will they mess with you.

On the other hand, in the suburbs, they'll smile to your face, but talk smack about you behind your back and trash the way you live/raise your kids/mow your lawn/whatever.

Frankly, I'd rather live with the good and curt than the nice but backstabbing.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 24, 2006 10:10 AM

Er, obviously, that's least judgmental only - not least honest or least civil.

Posted by: 10:10 anonymous | October 24, 2006 10:12 AM

oh, my lord, DC has the rudest people in it i've ever run across. i've caught at least five shopkeepers in various parts of northwest giving tourists deliberately wrong directions and laughing about it. people block the metro doors. pedestrians on blackberries barge right out in front of moving cars and have the unmitigated temerity to look at the driver like it's his/her problem. i have never in my life dealt with such a total lack of social graces in a population. it's appalling.

Posted by: bamagirlinVA | October 24, 2006 10:15 AM

Let's not forget who makes up the "Washington, D.C." that out of towners vote based upon: people who don't live in Washington, D.C. The actual city folks (like in NYC) are friendly to one another.

Posted by: Double 0 Zero | October 24, 2006 10:16 AM

Newsflash: if they're on the metro, it's very likely they're commuting from the suburbs, not from within the city. Your door blockers are most likely from MD or VA (or they're tourists).

And it might be the driver's problem. Never heard of pedestrian right of way?

Posted by: At least I don't live in Alabama | October 24, 2006 10:24 AM

Back when I lived in the South you always knew when someone was about to take a trashing because the trash-talker would start with "God bless him, but...."

A lot of times (but I'm sure not always) rural and Southern culture is slathered in honey but what's underneath ain't always so nice.

Posted by: Hillman | October 24, 2006 10:24 AM

Bethesdan,

Only 12 million people chose to live in NYC. 288 million chose to live outside of it. Do you think a valid survey would give greater weight to the opinions of 12 million than of 288 million?

I'm agree that you're one of the ones who's giving the rest of us a bad name with your "when in Rome" superiority. This is a tourist city. We make our money from tourism. You think their questions are "dumb" because you already know the answer. How is someone supposed to "do as Romans" if they don't ask questions?

Posted by: KK | October 24, 2006 10:47 AM

There was a time when Republicans and Republocrats (newly minted Republicans as a result of "state rights" southern strategy" stances) wanted to live in Australia and South Africa. So I suppose Phoenix is an improvement although I also suppose they have the sames reasons for wanting to live there as they did for wanting to live in aforesaid countries. As for Las Vegas, no one wants to live there.

Posted by: A. Hardwick | October 24, 2006 10:58 AM

Wait, I'm actually "from DC" and I consider myself reasonably friendly, polite, and curteous. But I also meet a large amount of people "from elsewhere" that came to DC for their professional life. And they all express surprise in the same way: "I didn't realize people were from here." (As if the DC was just some vacuum that yankees and midwesterners fell into at 23 years old.)

In other words, the friendliness, politeness, and curteousness of an awful lot of people in this area were formed while living elsewhere. So if "we" are rude, it must be because people from other areas of the country are rude, and then bring in that mentality. Kind of like people from other areas of their country sending their incompetent politicians here to represent them, and then pretending it's something here in town that magically corrupts them.

Everyone born and raised in this area that I know is a friendly, polite, and courteous person. So it must be some other region(s) that's ruining our reputation.

Posted by: OD | October 24, 2006 11:12 AM

Well, if you happen to live in some leafy enclave in upper Northwest, I'm sure people are just as friendly as can be. If, on the other hand, you live almost anywhere else in the city, where the residents are more likely to stick a gun in your face and demand your wallet than in any other large city in America (according to a recent WaPo article), well...that's not so nice.

In all seriousness, I think that criminal mentality trickles down in WDC. There are lots of residents of this city of all socio-economic distinctions who, for whatever reason, deeply resent their neighbors...and it shows in everything from surly service at fast food joints, to rude behavior on the metro, to brutal muggings and assaults. I love DC for a whole host of reasons, but the commonplace presence of friendy strangers is decidedly not one of them.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 24, 2006 11:13 AM

And in case you couldn't tell, I don't think there's a better place in the WORLD than living right here in the DC area.

Hell, I'd rather live in Bethesda or Silver Spring or PG County than NYC or Vegas or Phoenix or Omaha.

Posted by: OD | October 24, 2006 11:14 AM

I find that Washington area residents view things in such desparately politically that they can't judge another person's actions without considering the political references and implications. They view everybody through the spectrum of politics. Thus every remote slight they experience is blown into some tragic sub-drama of their national political view (e.g. the hysterical reactions to the behavior of tourists).

It's a shame because I find Washington area residents to be on the whole rather intelligent and interesting, but they just have this inability to judge people and insular issues without considering politics.

Posted by: DC Resident | October 24, 2006 11:23 AM

I've lived in ten states, the District and Germany - in both cities and suburbs.

There's no city as rude as any suburb.

We have to get along to live with each other.

The whole reason to move to the suburbs is to cloister yourself. How can that be friendly?

Suburbanites are used to not having to consider anybody else. that's why they stop at the top of the Metro escalator without any thought to anybody else and then act like we're rude when we try to get past them.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 24, 2006 11:25 AM

Also, they have this perpetual victim complex. Everybody is persecuting them. Whether it's the suburbs, transients, the tourists, or the politicians, DC residents aren't happy unless they're aggrieved.

Posted by: DC Resident | October 24, 2006 11:27 AM

It's sad but true....American Morals and Respect for our fellow man/woman has gone out the window, big time.

It's simply a Me Generation.

Posted by: Frankey | October 24, 2006 11:37 AM

"There's no city as rude as any suburb.

The whole reason to move to the suburbs is to cloister yourself."

As a decent, kind person (so obviously a Democrat) I would never live in a red state like Nevada. Too much bigotry in the name of Jesus. And guns."

There is nothing like a nonjudgmental unbigoted democrat to explain what is wrong with the rest of us. :-)

I've also lived in a number of differn areas, including cities and suburbs. Cities work well for some people and suburbs work well for others. The same people might go through several changes of location as their family grows than shrinks and as their income and interests change.

I can't speak for anyone else but in general most people in suburbs, cities or rural areas have been as nice to me as I have been to them. For some reason if I am in a rude grumpy mood, so is the rest of humanity and if I am cheerful and friendly, so are they. I can't imagine why.

Posted by: Woodbridge Va | October 24, 2006 11:49 AM

Whenever I see people talk about how our morals and respect have gone out the window, as Frankey does, I have to laugh.

Just a few short decades ago, I would've had to sit on the back of the bus. If a guy got beat up for having a boyfriend a couple decades ago, nobody would have blinked, few people would have cared. The IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act) wasn't passed until 1975.

Today, we have much better educational opportunities for people with learning disabilities; most people, regardless of their stance on sexual orientation, find beating people up to be wrong; and few people in my age group look at me funny just because of my skin. These are just a few examples of how we've become a more tolerant and inclusive society.

But just because people don't doff their hats more often, some people think our society has lost its morals and respect for other individuals? Take off your blinders and give me a break.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 24, 2006 11:57 AM

Sorry, but this survey missed the boat completely. I've been through a lot of this great big country of ours, and lived in several different places. Hands down the friendliest city is Seattle. People actually smile and are polite on the street. Asking directions won't get you looked at as a lower life form. Cars stop for pedestrians and will actually move out of the fast lane instead of trying to cut you off. The Pacific Northwest is friendlier than any urban area on the East Coast, but seattle is the best of the bunch.

BTW, Las Vegas is one of the most family friendly cities in the US (not my statistic), and has had a huge increase in population the past decade because of it.

Posted by: vbxtc | October 24, 2006 12:02 PM

Sorry, but this survey missed the boat completely. I've been through a lot of this great big country of ours, and lived in several different places. Hands down the friendliest city is Seattle. People actually smile and are polite on the street. Asking directions won't get you looked at as a lower life form. Cars stop for pedestrians and will actually move out of the way in the fast lane instead of trying to cut you off. The Pacific Northwest is friendlier than any urban area on the East Coast, but seattle is the best of the bunch.

Posted by: vbxtc | October 24, 2006 12:02 PM

To whoever wrote to me, cowardly you left your name out, and you do nothing but prove me right.

It's people like you that give us as Americans a bad name.

The problem with a lot of Americans they deny their history when it's convenient and they love their history when its to their benefit.

However my friend, you are the sad one, very sad.

Posted by: Frankey | October 24, 2006 12:17 PM

Hmmm. what is nice and what is polite? In some countries, it is considered impolite not to submit to a request, no matter how bizarre. It is also considered polite, when complimented on something, to immediately give it to the complimenter. it's all about customs.

frankly, I like the frankness of the people of DC. i do not like the sugar coaters and the backstabbers.

Posted by: ex cap girl | October 24, 2006 12:19 PM

Posted by: ex cap girl | October 24, 2006 12:19 PM

Marc, thank you so very much for having my co author Ken Berwitz and myself on your show this morning with Hillary.

It was a lot of fun. Your listeners and readers should understand that in this crazy time of serious issues, ours is a total break from that. It is everyday issues that we discuss like sex, eating, best,nicest, richest, gay, where to live, etc. I hope that you enjoyed it as much as we did. The book is available everywhere and on line at Amazon, etc.
It costs less than $10 and I am personally donating a minimum of $5,000 plus portions of the profits to STEM CELL research at Harvard and Stanford Universities. Look for us on CNN International on Friday. Thanks again and I look forward to a resounding Democratic victory two weeks from today.

Posted by: Barry Sinrod (democrat) | October 24, 2006 12:20 PM

You must live Phoenix and eat worms!

Posted by: Frankey | October 24, 2006 12:20 PM

Not being a resident or even recent visitor to DC, I don't have a lot to go on on assessing the "niceness" of its people, except for the comments section of Achenblog (aka, the "Boodle"). While many of the posters are from other parts of the country (and an unusual number are from the Great Nation of Canada), most seem to be D.C. residents. And, they're all good people. Genuinely good people.

Posted by: CowTown | October 24, 2006 12:42 PM

I have lived all over this country and in many different parts of the world, and to be honest, Americans are among the friendliest people I've ever met.
Nothing can match the rudeness of an Argentine, they have the self-importance of a Parisian to go with the racism of someone from the Atlanta suburbs.
There are nice people and jerks everywhere, but most Americans seem to be more open to others and more willing to help them out than in most other countries I've been to.

Posted by: Chris | October 24, 2006 1:09 PM

We are one of the only cities in the world where people actually stand to the side and let people OFF the subway car before they all rush to get ON the subway car.

Posted by: Dan | October 24, 2006 2:54 PM

Having lived and/or worked in DC off and on since 1966, I have to say that I don't find people especially rude, just not particularly willing to engage with strangers. New Yorkers are much more open in that regard--and I think many people mistake the brusqueness of New Yorkers for rudeness, which it isn't. New Yorkers are just nice in a hurry.

But in my experience, the nicest people I have met, on the whole, are the Irish and the Scots.

Posted by: Jack | October 24, 2006 2:58 PM

The Undeclared War On DC Families
By Republican Write-In DC Mayoral Candidate Dennis Moore
www.MooreForPeople.com

Even as a write-in mayoral candidate, I sincerely expect and wish the best for the expected winners of DC's mayoral and council member elections. Nevertheless, I cannot and will never ignore the daily realities of ongoing socioeconomic suffering by the District's low-income to middle-class families. My family is among them.

There is an undeclared war on District of Columbia families. Pretentious public officials, media-elected candidates and assorted special interests continue to divide and control our city. Behind the headlines, DC residents are reaching the breaking point of social and economic discontent. The hype and deception continues. Recent US Census figures, when sorted and filtered for actual full-time non-transient residents, show the reality of DC population losses in families, permanent residents, and long-term middle-class taxpayers.

These losses will create the coming District budget deficits and fiscal imbalances -- especially when much of our money will go to a new baseball stadium, dysfunctional DC agencies, and other revenue wasting mayoral initiatives. Simply, families need good schools, affordable housing, public safety, accessible healthcare, local jobs, and neighborhood retail services. Simply, families leave when these assets are missing. Selling-off our schools and land to condo developers won't help.

Based on DC Board of Elections figures, over two-thirds of DC Primary voters did not vote. Hype, the hypocrisy of DC democracy, and special interest candidates suppress voter turnout. Over 285,000 District voters who didn't vote want real change. District discontent continues and increases throughout diverse hard working communities. It should be no surprise that our rising discontent has less to do with party politics, economic status, ethnic group, ward issue, or unresolved community complaints ignored by District officials.

Our discontent is deeply rooted in the serious lack of real accountability, genuine respect and effective action on the actual common needs of everyday DC residents. This discontent can be eliminated by a mayor with the genuine will, innovative leadership, and a real action plan to aggressively and always act in the best interest of District citizens first.

Electing a progressive Republican or other DC mayoral candidate in a city-state long dominated and dependent on Democratic public officials may seem like an impossible challenge -- and received little media attention. But, I confidently believe most District voters are ahead of anyone acting on the hype of an alleged "mandate" and "landslide." Can we afford 4 more years of self-serving promises based on shaky records that provide minimal socioeconomic empowerment? Are low expectations our highest standard?

Ironically, some of the same DC public officials heard, mismanaged and paid lip service to the problems they now claim they want to solve -- now that they are candidates. No doubt, we can no longer find comfort in public officials who are again all too comfortable with another opportunity for unaccountable, arrogant, fiscally irresponsible District governance.

We all know this is the time to make REAL change. Beyond the millions in special interest campaign money and media hype, District of Columbia citizens still want genuine leadership of change and empowerment -- a change to policies and priorities directly benefiting us, the people.

Change will come from a new standard of District leadership and vision. Vision without a real action plan is just campaign hype and style. Hopefully, most of us WILL vote -- vote for real change on Tuesday, November 7.

www.MooreForPeople.com

Posted by: Dennis Moore | October 24, 2006 3:09 PM

Mr. Moore, you have got to be joking?

I not only find it offensive that you would use this blog as free advertisement but to think that what you say is true.

Look, you are a republican but you come off as if you really care for the people, you and Mr. Steele, are very slick in your campaigns, it's a known fact that once you "republicans" get into your position of power, you start your spin on what you said and what you meant.

Posted by: Frankey | October 24, 2006 3:46 PM

It would be NICE if candidate Moore's comments were even slightly germaine to the discussion. It would be NICE if his comments were removed.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 24, 2006 3:46 PM

No candidate for public office, especially a Republican in DC, would risk alienating thoughtful voters such as Frankey by posting drivel on Marc Fisher's blog. This has to be a hoax, perpetrated by someone at Dennis Moore's expense. What a nasty dirty trick to play on poor Moore. Let's all just ignore it.

Also, what's going on with the times on today's blog? Did daylight savings time just end?

Posted by: kk | October 24, 2006 4:09 PM

For Silver Spring, MD, here are those plans for the Civic Building:

Posted by: Fisher | October 24, 2006 5:14 PM

KK:
The clock on the Post's blogging software are rather time-challenged. They're often off by an hour, and sometimes just spit out random times. Not that it makes much of a difference, but just fair warning not to monitor your work appointments according to the time stamps here on the big blog.

Posted by: Fisher | October 24, 2006 5:19 PM

TO: Frankey and the anonymous blogger five postings up . . .

Regarding what's "germaine" to this blog . . . Thanks for confirming to the entire online news audience that (some) in DC are in fact nasty, arrogant and narrow minded. If Mr. Moore can make the effort, even as a write-in candidate, to go beyond talk to actually try to DO SOMETHING about the District's problems...then he deserves to be heard.

This is far better than a few anonymous lines of mindless nasty rants from a blogger.

If Dennis Moore can take the time to present a thoughtful, insightful, and honest commentary...then at least I can make the effort to write-in "Dennis Moore" on election day . . . before I move MY family to Virginia.

Unlike anonymous rants, write-in votes DO get counted . . . and don't digitally disappear.

Sometimes the truth does hurt. But, it always sets you free.

Posted by: Gerry - Palisades | October 24, 2006 7:37 PM

How is someone supposed to "do as Romans" if they don't ask questions?
----

Easy, they listen and don't shoot off their mouth. Just what your mother told you was polite manners when you were 9.

Posted by: Bethesdan | October 25, 2006 9:53 AM

----

That's not true. I work with a guy who bemoaned the fact his 15 yr old daughter was getting hit on by every tourist with a bankroll. He said the schools were lousy and the expectations were low. He said UNLV was like a hotel/motel management school. He said the gang crime from MS-13 and gangs straight from Mexico was frightening. He abandoned LV after 5 years to the prostitutes and the sports bookies. How is Las Vegas, with legal prostitution outside the city limits, family-friendly?

Posted by: Bethesdan | October 25, 2006 9:59 AM

Bethesdan,

When I was nine, my mother taught me that if I didn't know something I should ask. Did yours teach you that if you didn't know something that you shouldn't find out?

But, more than that, if tourists are supposed to be like us, then I presume you think we don't ask questions. Is that because we already know everything or because we're just not curious -- like the tourists? Either way, it doesn't cast Washingtonians (or you) in a very good light.

Posted by: KK | October 25, 2006 10:12 AM

To Gerry,

You've got to be joking right?

You're basically playing the "spin game", once a republican always a republican.

I simply don't trust republicans.

Sorry, but that's my opinion and I'm sticking with it.

Posted by: Frankey | October 25, 2006 10:13 AM

I'm a native DC-er, born & raised, and I moved to LA for college. I loved living in DC and I loved living in LA. I found people friendly and 'nice' in both places. Maybe you bring your friendliness along with you and find it wherever you are.

(Although I lived in Canada for awhile and for some reason I found Canadians unfriendly and brisque -- maybe the survery should have included Toronto.)

Posted by: Friendly | October 25, 2006 12:27 PM

Bethesdan, I don't love Las Vegas, certainly, but let's just be clear: prostitution is legal in Nevada in counties that choose to make it legal. It remains illegal in Clark County (where Vegas is located) and Washoe County (where Reno is located), as well as several other, smaller counties. You have to drive a significant distance from Las Vegas to find a legal brothel.

And Las Vegas suffers from many of the problems that plague other big cities, except that it has only become a big city in recent years, so it hasn't necessarily figured out how to deal with them (although I would argue most other big cities haven't either).

Posted by: NV Native, In DC | October 26, 2006 10:24 AM

I've seen PLENTY of line-jumping. What I don't see often is confrontations over the line-jumping. It's so appalling to be selfish & greedy & rude - and yet - is it worth it to be rude yourself and call someone on their behavior?

What else can you do, though? Set a good example yourself and beam disapproval-rays to those who act poorly? Those who can be "fixed" will eventually notice and become part of society - those that are oblivious will always be so.

Posted by: mizerock | October 30, 2006 6:04 PM