Print Columns   |   Web Chats   |   Blog Archives   |

Snow Hysteria Already?

Shannon Henry grew up in the Maryland suburbs. Washington was her home and her work. She founded TechCapital, a magazine that was one of the first to describe the revolution in business and technology that was altering the face and character of northern Virginia. For years, she was the Post's tech columnist, delivering "The Download" every week.

But last year, Shannon, her cardiologist husband and their two children moved from Washington to Denver, mainly to live in a place with more dramatic changes of season and snow. So when Denver got its first snow of the season some days back, Shannon wrote to her friends here in D.C.--not to complain, but to marvel at what a wonderful non-story those four inches of white stuff turn out to be in Colorado:

Just had to let you know...We had our first Denver snow last night. Four inches, totally beautiful...but snow. In October! I opened the Denver Post this morning to see how such a big deal story is covered here and it wasn't on the front page. Shocked, I looked at the metro section. Not on its front. Nowhere inside the A section. Finally I found a tiny story on page 5 of the metro section. I turned on the local news to see if schools were delayed. No one was even talking about it. I felt like I had dreamed the snow...but there it was still outside my window. In the real world everyone I talk to is so unbelievably, almost hysterically, happy about the snow. Very un-Washington. It's been in the 80s up to a few days ago...What a strange place....

Back here in Washington, we are still a few weeks away from our first bout of snow hysteria, but the mere mention of those words has me mentally checking my readiness for the ritual pillage of the supermarket as we descend em masse on the TP, milk and bread shelves. Already, somewhere deep in the bowels of the Montgomery County school bureaucracy, someone is gleefully practicing their cancellation moves, and yes, here in the newsroom, folks on the weather hysteria desk are tapping out their ledes, competing to see who can pack the most wildly sensational adjectives and the most heart-stopping anecdotes into a single paragraph announcing the next round of snow mania.

Meanwhile, today's forecast calls for sunny skies and 48 degrees. But look ahead to Friday night, when the temp could dip as low as 27, which means that any precip could turn into--oh, the horror, the horror.....

By Marc Fisher |  November 3, 2006; 7:38 AM ET
Previous: A Victory Against VDOT | Next: Campaign Curiosity: Bomber Jackets

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Posted by: Tee-Hee | November 3, 2006 8:02 AM

Well, while I don't look forward to the panicked drivers and general mess our roads will be, I think the whole hysteria thing is a lot of fun. Sure beats talking politics all the time.

Posted by: j | November 3, 2006 8:41 AM

Umm, Marc, aren't you contributing to the so called hysteria by talking about it? Don't act like you're any better.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 3, 2006 8:50 AM

"Ooh, what do you think would happen if it started to flurry on election day morning?"

Someone would sue. It would most assuredly be called some sort of plot to keep voters of *insert party here* away from the polls! Elections would be contested. Candidates and voters alike would be held in limbo while dangling snowflakes were examined and counted. The Supreme Court would have to rule on whether or not snow is an intimidating factor preventing voters from voting.

Accusations of stolen elections would fly like the flurries themselves and lawmakers would immediately seek to ban snow on election day because as we all know, they control the weather and it is all a big conspiracy to oppress America.

I think I hurt myself writing that. Conspiracy theories make my brain bleed.

Posted by: Single and denied | November 3, 2006 8:52 AM

Tp, milk, and bread? No, my essentials are beer, cookie dough, and pot roast fixings (for me) and birdseed (for the birds and squirrels).

Posted by: Let it Snow! | November 3, 2006 8:55 AM

Snow on election day? The political tv and radio ads would rapidly change in order to tell us tax-voter folks how *insert candidate here* fought to bring more funding to the local and state transportation departments and how snow removal efforts have been vastly improved!

Posted by: Flash | November 3, 2006 9:00 AM

Hooray for snow!! I iam a former upstate New Yorker (real upstate, not an hour from NYC) where just about any snowfall that didn't amount to a foot was ho-hum. (Not that I miss driving in blowing, blinding snow....). I find it hilarious how people here react to just the threat of snow - everyone leaves work early, the supermarkets are laid bare - well, we've all seen it. I still call my buddies in snow country and tell stories of the madness that descends when it snows here. I can't wait - let it snow!! (But not on election day!!!)

Posted by: MaggieO | November 3, 2006 9:03 AM

Last winter I stopped by the grocery store to grab some beer before a Patriots game. I froze as I walked through the door and it was like that scene in "Jaws" where they zoom in on the look of horror on Roy Schieder's face. I stared in shock at the checkout lines snaking up the aisles of the Harris Teeter and thought, "Dear god, what the hell is going on here?!" Then I realized there was an inch of snow forecast for that night. I thought to myself, "Well, iced tea is almost as good as beer," and left.

Posted by: Miles | November 3, 2006 9:12 AM

Miles, ice tea might work for a Patriots game but beer is required for a Redskins game. Lots of beer............

Posted by: Chug Chug | November 3, 2006 9:27 AM

We too had snow once on October 12th, in Frederick it was almost 5 inches or more. The problem with the metro area is that drivers can not handle wet weather, let alone snow. They have only two speeds, crawl and speeding.
Out in Tahoe a decade ago I had to cross Mt Rose at night (it is 12,000 feet high) in the snow and at night. I was constantly passed by pick up trucks going 20 miles an hour faster than me and oblivious to the ice and snow covering the road on hairpin turns. Of course every so often they find cars that have left the road and fallen hundreds of feet.
Area drivers just panic, at the first sign of a snow flake many seem to just slam on their brakes.
I love the snow, the more the better. An extra holiday at home with the family, what's not to like?

Posted by: Ed Lulie | November 3, 2006 9:39 AM

I grew up in the snow and cold of MN, but have lived in DC for 13 years. I still laugh at the hysteria. I remember only about 3 snow days my entire school career -- if that. I remember after one storm -- maybe a foot and a half -- calling my sister and going out to breakfast. The restaurant was packed! Had to carefully roll through stop signs on some of the less traveled side streets or the car would have sunk and gotten stuck, but people there didn't let it stop them. After 30 inches in 24 hours one year we had dug out and were back to work/school in a day. Unfortunately the hysteria just gets reinforced when we do get stuck after significant snow storms. Was it '96 (?) when work/schools were shut down for a week here?

Posted by: Former Minnesotan | November 3, 2006 9:49 AM

Another former Minnesotan here - I will admit I think it is a bit hysterical and ridiculous when Washingtonians over-react to an inch of snow. As the earlier poster noted, almost nothing stops Minnesotans from getting out during and after even a huge snowfall.
We lived Raleigh before we moved here and there was an 8 inch snowfall one day - my husband-to-be had moved there a year before I did and said to me 'believe me - no work today' - well, I hadn't heard from the person I worked for so I left for work - hubby had to come push me out and when I got there (it took a long time), I called my boss and she said 'please don't tell me you are at work' - and I went home for three days! I couldn't believe it!
Anyway - it is fun that it doesn't take much for my hubby to have a day or two off of work!

Posted by: star11 | November 3, 2006 9:59 AM

Blah blah. Denver. Blah blah. Give me DC's worldly, diverse snow worriers over provincial, xenophobic wannabe cowboys any day of the week. It only snows 3 times a year here, but Denver's full of morons all year.

Posted by: Former CO resident | November 3, 2006 10:00 AM

I grew up in this area and the snow hysteria has gotten worse. In the 70s and 80s when I was in school, I remember going to school when there was still snow on the streets (not like now where they need to be snow-free and dry before the children are allowed on them). Not sure what's changed to make the hysteria more pronounced, but it definitely is.

Posted by: Adams Morgan | November 3, 2006 10:03 AM

I love it when it snows out here. It keeps the idiots inside.

Posted by: Let it snow! | November 3, 2006 10:04 AM

I can recall a Monday night football game in Denver in early October of '84 that was played in a blizzard and thought to myself, "I bet something like this will keep Denver from ever getting major league baseball." (Of course, Denver got a franchise a dozen years before D.C. did.)

As a native Syracusan, I too was initially bemused at the reaction of Washingtonians to snow -- but they're hardy northerners compared to how people in Georgia react to the white stuff. And, to be fair, there is a significant difference between winters in D.C. and in places such as Syracuse or Iowa. In upstate New York or the upper Midwest, when it's winter and gets below freezing, it normally stays there for some time. Here, it fluctuates, causing the worst of all possible conditions -- ice. (I can recall driving from Iowa to Maryland one December, and despite the cold the roads were clear and driving was easy until I got off I-270 and found myself on slick, dangerous, icy pavement. It took two hours to drive my final five miles.)

Posted by: Vincent | November 3, 2006 10:05 AM

I live in a townhouse and my neighbor cracked me up last year when he bought a snowblower to clear the approx. 12 foot length of sidewalk in front of his townhouse. He doesn't need to clear the snow from his short driveway because his big double-axle pickup covers most of the driveway.

Posted by: Frugle | November 3, 2006 10:12 AM

The flucuation in temperature in the DC area depends on whether or not Congress is in session. :)

Posted by: Tee-Hee | November 3, 2006 10:15 AM

Here's a thought: If the way we handle snowy weather in the Washington metro area--school closings and delays, terrible traffic conditions, and long lines to buy milk, bread, and toilet paper--really bothers you, you might be in the wrong place.

Posted by: Native | November 3, 2006 10:21 AM

I am with Adams Morgan...I grew up here, and there were plenty of days in the 70s and 80s where snow didn't stop schools from opening.

Now the hint of snow closes schools the night before. It really has become a joke.

What causes all of the closures? In my opinion, when teachers and responders are forced to live in the exurbs due to a lack of workforce and affordable housing, if they can't get here, then here cannot operate.

On top of that, the way the suburbs and exurbs have been developed, with all of the developments and cul-de-sacs, it is no wonder that there is trouble clearing the roads.

Posted by: Another Native | November 3, 2006 10:29 AM

Wimpiness is not native to DC; it was imported.

Posted by: bp | November 3, 2006 10:31 AM

Positive proof the snow hysteria in the DC area is media driven. I grew up here when snow storms in the 70s and early 80s did not produce anything close to the mass hysteria the local television news shows and the Post produces these days. Whatever attracts viewers and sells papers I guess.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 3, 2006 10:35 AM

I heard about this storm in Denver when I was on my way to work. I immediately made a trip to Giant, put a one-man run on milk, toilet paper and beer, picked up the kids at school and we all went home, where we've been holed up since in anticipation of the white stuff heading our way.

It's bad enough on the roads around here on a clear sunny day, add the thought of snow (Snow!) and it just makes things worse. Remember, it's the thought that counts!

Be safe out there, people!

Posted by: Sam F. | November 3, 2006 10:38 AM

Those of you complaining about DC's snow anxiety are missing the best part, though. Yeah, it might be horrible to drive in when the snow first starts falling, and the night before at the supermarket may be awful. But once the snow has been hitting the ground for a while, it's the best time to get anywhere. People hole themselves up after the first inch has fallen.

I'm from NJ, where people would still do the supermarket rush if the forecast was more than a few inches, but nobody ever stopped driving because the plows would be running before the first flake hit the ground.

Posted by: NJ Native | November 3, 2006 10:39 AM

I'm in my last year at Syracuse University right now, but lived in Montgomery County all my life. After starting school here, I saw how silly it was to get so worked up about all the snow, but I must say I kinda miss it when I wake up and NEVER have a snow day because everyone is so well-prepared up here: roads are clear, and people actually drive the speed they are supposed to "under the conditions." Who would have thought? However, I don't envy my mother, still in her job at Giant Food, dealing with the masses.

You know what's really fun, though? With so many different people going to Syracuse, you get a lot of people who have never seen snow before in their lives. It's always so much fun to be around them the first time it happens :-)

Posted by: orange girl | November 3, 2006 10:53 AM

I can drive on the snow, but I also know there are a lot of drivers here who are too lazy to clear the snow off their cars and drive either too slow ("I'm scared") or too fast ("My SUV did this in the commerical!") So if it is snowing, I telecommute. I don't need to get stuck in traffic for three hours when I can do a full day's worth of work from home.

I swear that the media outlets are paid by the large supermarkets to whip up snow hysteria

Posted by: daninannapolis | November 3, 2006 10:59 AM

I agree with Adams Morgan...I grew up in AA County, and it felt like we NEVER got days off for snow. If the main roads were clear, we went. Side streets clear? No one cared!

It took at least a week after every storm to fully clear out our street, since we lived on a cul-de-sac. I remember either walking to the bus stop in the tire tracks left by other cars, or my parents would drive me.

Now...from what friends tell me, AA is one of the ones who always cancels school. Times change, I suppose.

Posted by: Columbia | November 3, 2006 11:02 AM

What I don't understand is why do people have to rush out EVERY year to buy a snow shovel? What do they do with their shovels from the previous year?

Posted by: Why? | November 3, 2006 11:05 AM

"The snow hysteria here is much like hurricane hysteria in Florida. Ever since 2004, whenever there is a tropical wave forming off the coast of Africa, Floridians will rush off to Home Depot and other stores to buy generators, boards, etc."

Well after hurricanes Katrina, Wilma, etc. I would be a little paranoid too!

Posted by: Anonymous | November 3, 2006 11:19 AM

I'm a native of Colorado, born in Denver. Yeah, it's pretty, but the drive to the beach is a b***h!

Posted by: Anonymous | November 3, 2006 11:21 AM

Personally, I think the media drives the frenzy. One morning, I was listening to the TV and radio to find out what the weather was like. They made it sound like it was far to dangerous out there for anyone with the amount of snow that had fell. My little dinky car doesn't do well in a lot of snow so I asked my husband to drive me to work. Hello? Snow? where are you? The best I saw outside of our cul-de-sac was some slush on the roads. I am from Canada so well versed in driving in snow. If the media made me nervous to drive, its no wonder other people who aren't so familiar suddenly get nervous! Now I just ignore the media and I am grateful that it scares the other people off the road. Less people... less chance of an accident.

Posted by: Billie | November 3, 2006 11:58 AM

Yes, I find the antics of the DC area when there is the threat of snow to be comical at best... however, I also understand it.

#1 - We don't get alot of snow here, so folks here don't know how to drive in it. It's not like further north, where they spend most of the winter buried under snow.

#2 - As someone already pointed out, the fluctuations in temperature here are such that any prediction of snow is highly likely to produce large amounts of ice, and ice is a killer.

I don't know why it's so different now than it was in the 70's, in regards to school closings, but I CAN say that I am glad it is. I'd much rather my son stay home if there is any chance of icy roads, then have him wind up dead because either the bus driver couldn't handle the roads, or some other idiot was out driving who shouldn't have been and crashed into the bus.

Posted by: WoodbridgeGal | November 3, 2006 12:02 PM

Vincent's exactly right -- it's the ice that's the problem. My mom's from Maine, so comes from dig-out-and-go-on-with-your-life people, but hates to drive here in snowy weather. Here, the snow melts during the day only to refreeze at night. Plus, the majority of people here don't know how to drive in CLEAR conditions.

Posted by: bean | November 3, 2006 12:05 PM

We've become a much more litigious society since the '70s and '80s, so it's all about liability. School systems don't want the responsibility of having all those kids on school busses or on school property during bad weather, so they delay the opening, or close completely, more frequently than before. The government and businesses then put unscheduled leave policies in effect because they realize a lot of people will have to stay home with their kids anyway. Plus, when you don't put tens of thousands of government workers in their cars, on busses, or on Metro, work crews can clear the streets faster.

Posted by: zander | November 3, 2006 12:16 PM

I grew up in Philly and they don't handle snow terribly well, but this area is just plain nuts. I really don't understand the panic to buy TP, milk, bread, and eggs just because it snows - you don't have any TP in reserve at the house? It's a law to make french toast during snowstorms?

And thank you, "Why?" - I've always wondered why people need new snow shovels each year, too!

I lived out in San Diego for a while before moving here. I once saw a kid there biking to school in a parka and gloves because it was just below 50 degrees one morning - I was still in a short-sleeve shirt!

Some of my SD friends were horrified that I was moving back east... "It SNOWS there!!" Um, yes. Snow is very pretty and can be a lot of fun to play in or walk in. In SD, the earth shakes without warning and collapses your house, assuming it has survived the fires. To each his own!

Posted by: Lee | November 3, 2006 12:24 PM

As a Northern Virginia resident of all of my 41 years, except for my undergrad days in Houston where it snowed twice, I sm also confounded by the rise in snowphobia over the years. Maybe it was being raised by grandparents who grew up in Harrisburg and Oklahoma. Maybe it was having fewer people living here. Or maybe it was having a media that covered real news.

The Washington's Birthday blizzard of 1979 seemed to sneak up on us and immobilize the city for days, but we got along cheerfully, even without cable TV, DVDs and the internet. A year and a week later we got slammed with a heavy snowfall while I was in the Alexandria Hospital ICU awaiting brain surgery. The nursing staff and a few doctors were stuck there for a few days, but it wasn't like the end of the world had come. Nothing like doctors and a priest bringing a sick kid snowballs.

But, then I had to grow up and deal with the Vet's Day blizzard of 1987 and the endless snows of 89-90 and January 96. The craze was well underway by then. Quite the contrast to working in Toronto the Winter of 2000-01 when the snow was over our heads on the sidewalks at times, but life went on with hardly a hiccups.

D.C. snow ninnies are big babies and just terribly unprepared. If they can't wipe their bottoms with a tissue or paper towel, how would they ever cope with a biological or nuclear attack!

Posted by: bigolpoofter | November 3, 2006 12:26 PM

Your close ("the horror, the horror") brought to mind the final moments of "The Shining," with Jack Nicholson and his maniacal grin, frozen solid in the hedge maze.

Posted by: AlterDad | November 3, 2006 12:36 PM

I was born and raised in Mississippi where snow is definitely not a normal thing. When I was growing up, schools were closed or let out early if the chance of snow went over 30-40%. However, the reason was that there was nothing to deal with the snow, no snow plows, sand trucks, etc. (when it only gets a snow once every 8-10 years, the equipment doesn't make sense.) There really was snow hysteria there, but for good reason. Every time we got snow (or worse ice) more than an inch, we had to wait for the weather to warm up to melt it off the roads. There would be days that almost no one would drive for fear of it (since most of the people who would drive would end up in the ditch). However, even I find the snow hysteria here ridiculous. You have snowplows people! Just give them enough time to get over the roads and move on with your lives. I still get a little nervous on unplowed roads, but I just drop my speed and start breaking way before I have to stop. The one thing that does drive me nuts are the SUV drivers that think they can drive on ice after a refreeze. When it comes to ice, 4 wheel drive just means that 4 wheels will spin out instead of just 2.

Posted by: Former Mississippian | November 3, 2006 1:01 PM

Lee:

There was a cartoon a number of years ago that went something like this:

The left panel was a woman cowering in a doorway as her house shook, and the bubble said "At least it isn't snow!!"

The right panel was a man up to his neck in snow outside a house, and the bubble said "At least it isn't an earthquake!!"

I also love the people stocking up on cans of soup along with the TP, milk, and eggs, because if the power goes out, I doubt they have a can opener ot sterno!

Posted by: Corey | November 3, 2006 1:54 PM

I grew up in Philly and I think we handle snow pretty well. We know how to drive slowly and the roads are salted and cleaned. Yes a few years ago a weather forecaster predicted at least 12 inches of snow, which in turn clogged the market for hours and bread and milk was no where to be found for days and unfortunately not a drop of snow ever fell. As long as it's not a blizzard, we know how to handle the threat of snow, unlike here. Why do people buy bread and milk anyway? What about the meat, veggies and water people. The problem down here is we have too many transplants who never seen snow, those that think they can drive in the snow and those that actually can.

Posted by: Iluv2read | November 3, 2006 2:06 PM

"If they can't wipe their bottoms with a tissue or paper towel, how would they ever cope with a biological or nuclear attack!"

Tissue is too flimsy and paper towels are too hard.

Posted by: Goldilocks | November 3, 2006 2:08 PM

Snow is what the Redskins used to be for all of us when they were still playing in DC. Snow brings all of us together. Dems. and Repubs., blacks and whites, old and young, rich and poor and everything wonderfully mixed and in between, we're all stopped and humbled by a little bit of fluffy white snow. I'm a native Washingtonian and it really has always been like this. We never get any better at handling it but it still does wonders for our sense of community. I say, let it snow!~!

Posted by: MoCoDC | November 3, 2006 2:24 PM

Ignorance in a Marc Fisher blog, there is a surprise.

Marc, places that have snow regularly have the infrastructure to meet it. Places like Chicago, Massachusetts and Quebec, to name three places I've lived, buy tons of salt, heavy equipment, and personnel, and they have experience and a plan. The people have -- horrors! -- 4WD SUVs. So it is no big deal when it DOES snpw. Matter of fact, you get the agita when it doesn't over a season -- like, what are we going to do with all this salt? It doesn't snow enough around here to justify a huge investment in snow removal, so when it does snow, area governments are ill-equipped to handle it. HTH.

Now that I have answered your questions, please answer a couple of mine: Princess Hansen's killers were convicted this past week, in a trial that proved that the statements you criticized the Williams adminsitration for making were in fact true. Not a mumbling word from you so far. Comments?

Read the transcript for yesterday's chat -- came in the middle of my lucnh at Bobby Van's so you will pardon my absence. Couple of things you posted -- Quote Still, the idea of trotting out a sister who was married to Mike Tyson as a credible character reference boggles the mind. Unquote But getting your news from the paper that gave us Jimmy doesn't boggle the mind? Seriously, we are now namecalling Steele's sister because of who she married? That is low even for you. Stay classy Upper Northwest.

You mentioned Quote the stereotype of journalists somehow working their own views into their work Unquote after calling Robert Ehrlich - his given name -- Quote Gov. Bobby Haircut Unquote. So does that mean you are not a journalist, Marc? Or you are just a journalist when you want to be? It's a serious question since journalists are entitled to limited legal protections and you do not simply exist as a journalist by dint of being employed by a recognized journal. In esse should a blogger dedicated to reporting facts right down the middle be less deserving of protection regarding confidential sources than an opinionated columnist who never reports facts without coloring his reports with his own opinions?

Posted by: RL | November 3, 2006 2:39 PM

RL, will you be moving back to Quebec soon?

Posted by: Hey, hey, hey, Good-bye! | November 3, 2006 2:48 PM

I am an Air Force brat, and back in the mid-60s, we were at Laughlin AFB, TX, near Del Rio, just on the other side of the Mexican border. It snowed there for the first time in 45 years, and those of us who had seen snow before were tickled to death by the folks who were going crazy. Some of the adults had never seen snow except on TV--almost all the kids had not. A real treat, not to be missed. And folks trying to drive on about 1/2 inch of light snow--yikes!

Posted by: California, MD | November 3, 2006 3:39 PM

In answer to why we have to buy new snow shovels--our neighbor borrowed ours last year and never returned it!

Posted by: mjb | November 3, 2006 3:52 PM

RL, your snarky "answer" to all Marc's questions left out an answer to the crush for TP, bread, and milk. I think we understand why drivers around here panic more than the need for supplies.

I always find the crush funny because I can't think of many spots in the Metro area that you aren't near enough to a 7-11 (or other mini-mart) that you can't just walk. It's rare around here that we get 4 feet of snow making walking impossible and you have to worry about feeding yourself for a few days.

Has anyone been TRAPPED in their place because of snow in the last decade or so? And by trapped I mean unable to get to a store within 24 hours because the snow is so bad.

Posted by: tmPete | November 3, 2006 4:24 PM

The snow's coming?! Oh, my goodness! I need to fill up the gas tank in the car (I already have half a tank, but you never know). Go to Blockbuster for a dozen movies. Oh, no, I forgot popcorn so I need to go to the grocery store and while I'm there, I'd better stock up on toothpaste and oranges. Oh, I almost forgot about Mittens and Fluffy, so I'll need a 20lb bag of cat food and three boxes of litter. Oh my, will I make it home before the fifth snowflake falls?!

Posted by: Sweat beads | November 3, 2006 8:00 PM

Want to help elect Jim Webb to the Senate? There's plenty to do between now and 7 p.m. Tuesday when the polls close.
Try phone banking. We're making short, easy calls to previously identified Webb voters reminding them to vote. There's probably no more important activity you can do between now an Election Day. If our voters vote, we win. If they stay home, George Allen wins.
(If you'd rather not phone bank or rather phone from home, check out other volunteer activities at webbforsenate.com):
I'm working at a phone bank at the Fairfax City Firefighters Union every day 'til the polls close!
Address is 10500 Sager Ave., in Fairfax City, VA 22030. Hours are 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday and Monday, noon to 8 p.m. Sunday and 9 a.m. to 6:50 p.m. Election Day. We have 17 phone lines, so just show up.
Contact: Airi Roulette 703-359-0028, Steve Goldberg 301-602-6703
If this phone bank is inconvenient, here are others in northern Virginia and even DC. Except where indicated, we have plenty of phones--so there's no need to call; just show up.

Arlington:
Webb HQ - 1916 Wilson Blvd. Suite 204 , Arlington VA 22201
Hours: Mon - Sat: 10 am - 9pm
Sunday: Noon - 8pm
Contact: 703-778-4080 x229 or 703-778-2781

Virginia Square - 3440 N. Fairfax Dr., Arlington VA 22201
Hours: Mon -Fri: 6pm - 9pm
Sat: 10am - 9pm, Sun: Noon - 9pm
Contact: 703-310-6756, BJ_303@yahoo.com
ACDC - 4620 Lee Highway, Ste. 214 Arlington, VA 22207 [Only 2 phone lines so call Liz Griffith at 334-538-6860 before you go.]
Hours: Mon - Fri: 10 - 5pm 703-528-8588

Fairfax County :
Merrifield/FCDC - 2815 Hartland Rd. #110, Falls Church, 22043
Hours: Mon - Sat: 10am - 9pm
Sun: Noon - 8pm
Contact: 703-573-6811 or 703-778-4080 x229

Tysons/Leesburg Pike - 7700 Leesburg Pike, Ste 300&301, Falls Church,22043
(Law offices across from Marshall High)
Hours: Mon - Fri: 6pm - 9pm
Sat: 10am - 9 pm, Sun: Noon - 8pm
Contact: 703-485-2990 or Jim Simos (c) 703-231-6280
Washington,DC:

Local 25 Hotel Restaurant Workers - 1003 K St. NW, 6th Fl., DC 20001
Hours: Mon - Fri: 10am - 8pm
Sat: 10am - 8pm, Sun: Noon - 8pm

Regan Assoc. Chartered - 1003 K St. NW, 3rd Fl., DC 20001
Hours: Mon - Fri: 5pm - 8pm

Posted by: HELP ELECT JIM WEBB | November 4, 2006 5:50 PM

Marc, please respond a.s.a.p. I was watching the news (Baltimore) and saw your favorite Maryland governor wearing a leather USAF flight jacket. I think it was USAF. I am 99% sure. Was he in the air force? His bio didn't mention any military service. Is he a fake? Why do military veteran wanna-bes always do this? I am so sorry, but selling sandwiches does not make you a vet. So, what is tthe story?

Posted by: what is THIS? | November 4, 2006 11:35 PM

What the hell caused you to write this entry now? It's completely stupid, untimely and has the same news value as if I were to tell you that I usually clip my toenails on the weekend, but did it on a Wednesday last week.

Posted by: Don in Dunn Loring | November 6, 2006 11:22 AM

There is nothing I enjoy so much as when some all-knowing midwestern scoffs at snow in D.C., announces that "back home" they know how to drive in snow, and then calls from the ditch their car's sitting in, suprised that there's a layer of ice under a bit of snow.

And I'll trade paniced shoppers in a city that can't deal with snow than a city full of dead people in a midwest heatwave.

Posted by: grumpy | November 9, 2006 1:23 PM