Print Columns   |   Web Chats   |   Blog Archives   |

The 30 Days of Xmas Shotgun and Rifle Raffle

If you're still hunting for that perfect Christmas gift, you may want to check in with the Princess Anne police department over on the Eastern Shore. The department has announced its "30 Days of Christmas Shotgun and Rifle Raffle."

Let's see, the offerings include a Beretta Urika model 12-gauge, 28-incher, valued at $980; a Weatherby Mark V 243 priced at $1,350; a Beretta Extreme II, topping the value meter at $1,449; and more modest weapons, one raffled off each day, all month long. The Christmas Day winner will pick up a Savage 10 ML valued at $525.

Tickets are $25 each and there are, naturally, 30 chances to win. Proceeds from the raffle go to the department's mobile command unit, surely a worthy cause in a community in which, according to the blotter on the department's own web site, the action on the streets is not exactly non-stop, but includes plenty of incidents triggered by, you'll excuse the irony, firearms:

From just one week of action on the streets of Princess Anne:

--Princess Anne Police responded to UMES Blvd. for possible narcotic activity. As a result of an investigation and a narcotic scan by the Somerset County Sheriff K-9 unit Nia Powell, 21, and Waku Attakora, 20, were arrested and charged with possession of suspected marijuana.

--Princess Anne Police charged a Juvenile with Reckless Endangerment for shooting a pellet gun at a Seton Center van.

--Princess Anne Police investigated a Theft. Investigation revealed that the Theft occurred as the result of an ongoing dispute between UMES students who are currently room mates. The case has been closed for lack of prosecution on the part of the victim.

--Princess Anne Police arrested a Juvenile for the Theft of two bikes.

--Princess Anne Police responded to Pine Knoll Dr., the Princess Anne Town Houses, for a malicious destruction to a vehicle. investigation revealed that three juveniles were throwing shingles from a roof and hit the windshield of a truck. The truck windshield was cracked from the shingle hitting it. The juveniles were identified and taken to their parent. The victim declined prosecution at this time pending restitution.

--Princess Anne Police recovered a Marksman pellet gun that was reported stolen on November 26, 2006. There are suspects under investigation.

--Princess Anne Police arrested a male juvenile for a Concealed Deadly Weapon. A look alike semi-auto hand gun was recovered from the waistband of the juvenile. The juvenile was released into the custody of his mother.

Hmm: Pellet gun, pellet gun, "look alike semi-auto hand gun." Guns wouldn't be any sort of, um, problem over in Princess Anne, would they?

(Luckily, the department has a SWAT team. Check out their impressive photo on the department's home page.)

By Marc Fisher |  December 13, 2006; 7:36 AM ET
Previous: Coda for the Classics: Public Radio's Failed Mission | Next: I've Heard of Cellar Dweller Teams, But This Is Ridiculous

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Marc, it's called job security. The greater the possibility of guns on the streets, the more need for police. Besides, you never know when a Canada goose must run amok.

Posted by: Cletus | December 13, 2006 8:24 AM

Hooray! Another "Make Fun of the Hicks" day on Raw Fisher. It must have been at least a week since we asserted our urban superiority and took after the rural rednecks.

Let's see. In Washington DC (the murder capital of America a few years back) you don't even sell hand guns. I guess that means that no one dies from hand gun crimes in DC, right? And you've gotten all the drug dealers locked up now, and if someone wants to buy marijuana, they have to drive over to Princess Anne county, right?

Marc, you need to get out a bit more.

Posted by: Pocomoke | December 13, 2006 9:30 AM

Marc, ignore Pocomoke. S/he's just grumpy because the local diner ran out of possum pie.

Posted by: Eat More Racoon | December 13, 2006 9:43 AM

Might have to get me a few tickets. Going to a good cause. And the folks out there will use them for legit purposes. Something birkenstock wearing, NPR listening pukes like Marc and other DC residents will never understand. All liberal understand is all guns bad. The guns being raffled off are legit hunting weapons. But you would never see a liberal puke like Marc or some of you others in a duck blind. And the Retrievers you liberals own are to AKC spec and couldnt retrieve a dead duck if their life depended on it. Or you have a little foo foo breed. Marc stop bashing those folks who live in rural area. My suggestion to Marc go take a walk in the forest tonight in rural VA or the Eastern Shore at dusk and dont wear roange puke! I could use one of the Beratta shotguns as adjunct to my streetsweeper which definetely is not a hunting weapon unless you are hunting liberals and PETA members. Works real well with rock salt and bacon grease as a load!

Posted by: vaherder | December 13, 2006 9:57 AM

wow, someone is a little angry that people disagree with his stance on guns....

and by the way, this "liberal puke" doesn't own a dog of any sort or belong to PETA. If you hate sweeping genralizations of rural America so much, perhaps you should avoid making sweeping generalizations of urbanites. Otherwise, you're just a guilty.

Posted by: Dupont | December 13, 2006 10:22 AM

I don't see any rural bashing in Marc's article. What I read is a police department raffling guns. Seems a bit contradictory to me and I think that's the subject that Marc was bringing up. Should a police department be raffling guns?

Posted by: Reading Correctly | December 13, 2006 10:33 AM

Marc,

Not many people have been killed by a pellet gun, and it appears most of the other crimes you listed we cleared up by the police. Usually when somebody declines to prosecute in a rural county like Princess Anne it is because the officer was able to talk to the people involved and clear up the issue. That is called good police work and they should be commended for it. Instead you try and ridicule them by referencing a photo of their SWAT team. Notice the camouflage clothes. That is probably what they need to do their job, since they will mostly be used to catch drug runners on their way to D.C.

Now, D.C. is another problem. Usually when somebody declines to prosecute in D.C. it is because they fear for there lives. They fear for their lives because bleeding hearts like you won't let the police in D.C. lock up those maniacs who are using their illegal weapons and throw away the keys. Gotta try and reform the poor misunderstood soul a few dozen times first. They didn't actually kill anybody with their illegal gun so they have some good in them, right? The fact that their victims are alive because the criminal is a bad shot is not allowed to be entered into court.

Crime exists everywhere. Most crime committed with firearms does not involve the weapons listed in your article. They are too large to conceal under a stolen North Face jacket.

Just because your city is a cesspool that is bent on destroying itself has no bearing on the outer counties of Maryland or Virginia. That is, until your citizens try to bring their crime spree to our houses. Then we will exercise our Constitutional right to defend our families and ourselves. Hunting weapons will work quite nicely for that.

Posted by: GunOwner | December 13, 2006 10:35 AM

So Dupont you are letting down you liberal leftists brethern go buy some birkenstocks, join the terrorists at PETA and if you are a woman stop shaving your legs and if you are a man start shaving your legs. And maybe you get a sense of humor for the Hannukah, Christmas or Saturnalia. And I suggest a real foo foo dog like Bichon or Lhaso. Or maybe a Chinese Crested!

We are having a special herding trial to raise funds for Toys for Tots. Stock will be PETA members 1000 yard outrun and points for every grip/bite a dog gives a PETA member. Any PETA volunteers.

Posted by: vaherder | December 13, 2006 10:36 AM

Reading Correctly,

Why shouldn't a police department raffle guns? Given the crime rates in Princess
Anne, and those in DC, it would probably be a good thing for you all to consider.

Posted by: Pocomoke | December 13, 2006 10:41 AM

Pocomoke,
Are the police intending for people to use these guns for hunting or for self-protection?

Posted by: Reading Correctly | December 13, 2006 10:48 AM

I'm not sure I understand the writer's point. One was a "like alike" automatic (could it be a child's toy gun?) and the other two were pellet pistols. Yes, the pellet pistol can hurt and I suppose it could even kill under exactly the right circumstances (but extremely unlikely). The only common thread in all this seems to be the writer's belief that all firearms are bad and have no place in our culture. Although I do not chose to hunt, my son does, and I accompy him whenever possible, and we also go plinking whenever possible. I see no inherent problems with firearms, only those who shot them.

Posted by: Confused in Tennessee | December 13, 2006 11:08 AM

Marc, what's the point of your column today? Is it that all guns, including hunting rifles and shotguns, are bad, no matter who uses them, and should be done away with altogether? Your poor attempt at making a point is confusing since you use unrelated pot bust, petty theft, and malicous destruction of property stories mixed in with pellet gun and look alike toy gun stories in your weak argument.

In this country citizens have the constitutional right to own guns. DC's handgun ban is unconstitional and hasn't done a thing to stop gun related murders in the District. So once again, what is the point of your column?

Posted by: Give me a break | December 13, 2006 11:32 AM

How did DC get involved? This is Prince Anne, nothing is mentioned about the comparison of DC and Prince Anne. It discusses the raffling of Guns, is it a good thing or bad. I think there's a bit of guilt or embarassment due to the jumping on DC.

Anyway, I think it's wrong for a police department to raffle any kind of weapons due to the nature of our society from High School kids to the guy that just lost his job, wife and kids, and then finds out half his paycheck is going to childsupport, and the system doesn't care about his personal survival just make the payments or we'll lock you up.

However, I am for some kind of new gun laws in DC, only because it's going to get worse, as long as the haves keep coming in DC and pushing out the have nots, the tension will build in the city, and it's happening now, there have been many incidents where the new neighbors have been beaten and threatened.

I am a responsible citizen and would like the choice of being able to carry a weapon of my choice as long as its not concealed (like VA). I guarantee the crime rate would drop in 6 months.

Posted by: Frankey | December 13, 2006 12:23 PM

As for the swat guys, not impressed..who cares..they have a job. However, they do look a little redneckish.

Posted by: Frankey | December 13, 2006 12:24 PM

Frankey,

I think we need to increase the dosage of your medication again. Please call me ASAP.

Posted by: Your physician | December 13, 2006 12:36 PM

My uncle Vic bootlegger, rum runner and thorn in Papa Joe Kennedy's side ie he put a contract out on him told me one day" Boy better to be tried by twelve than carried by six." You never know when you need that gun, pistol, rifle or revolver for self defense be it a rabid animal or some scumbag trying to deprive you of you life, liberty or property. And on the farm we need them to take care of predators, rabid animals or stock that must be put down humanely.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 13, 2006 12:43 PM

To My Physician, I stand by my comment as far as your attempt of being funny, I'll talk to your mother tonight about your attempt at being funny, by the way she (your mother) also request I call her ASAP for a little bang.

Insults that are not funny but directed towards one person are unnecessary, however please enjoy my response as trying to be funny such as yourself and just to let your know I use condoms.

Posted by: Frankey | December 13, 2006 12:48 PM

Frankey,

You're a boy? Ooops. I thought you were a girl. You're not Francine?

Never mind about tonight.

Posted by: Your physician's mother | December 13, 2006 12:54 PM

To Physician, we'll see...she likes it both ways I already knew.

By the way, your mom has shared some personal things with me regarding you, so I'll try to help her out, she wants you to move out of the basement, she thinks you're getting too old to still be living with your parents(25), wow dude grow up and out. (You dad just watches)

Posted by: Frankey | December 13, 2006 1:10 PM

Firearms are legal in Princess Anne and illegal in DC, ergo there are no gun crimes in DC

Posted by: Anonymous | December 13, 2006 1:20 PM

Don't pick on Marc about guns; he said that instead of reading the Bill of Rights he'd rather take the "view" of the liberal elite that the government will protect him.

So next time he goes to Adams Morgan and gets "B-Slapped" by an underprivileged local he can just throw his ACLU card at them and apologize for being on "their" sidewalk.

Posted by: MohawkOV1D | December 13, 2006 2:15 PM

Marc has and always will be anti-gun, that's the bottom line. And I don't quite get the choice of using a weapon for hunting or protection. All of the guns I own can kill two legged vermin just as easily as they can the four legged kind. The reason the this is happening in Price Anne, is because the citzenry doesn't view gun ownership as Marc does. That's the real issue here. In some areas we understand that guns aren't evil. Some people don't want to admit that there are millions of evil scum that walk amongst the rest of us, so they just blame guns. I will agree that they should take away everyone's guns, at the same time they take any and every other item that could be fashioned as a weapon. That means everything from your car, no more cars people, to the towels in your home. That's right, the towels can be used as a garotte to strangle someone. No tools, any of those can be used as a weapon. No kitchen implements. No clothing. In order to apply Marc's belief, we will have all walk around naked and own not one item. You won't be able to have an ink pen or a pencil, could stab someone with that. This computer I'm typing on? I could pick it up and bash someone's skull in with it. Sorry Marc, quit blaming crime on objects that are useless unless operated by a human. You should move to a country where guns are outlawed and so are most freedoms. You'd fit in better.

Posted by: yourmammy | December 13, 2006 2:25 PM

Wow Marc, it seems you have quite a few people who dislike you.

I like you Marc, with or without guns.

Posted by: Frankey | December 13, 2006 3:11 PM

I don't like him or dislike him. I don't know him. I just think people who think if you outlaw guns we'll suddenly be living in the land of milk and honey and peace and harmony are living in a fantasy world. I am also struck by how much of reality they have to disregard in order to embrace this belief. Go anytime to www.gazette.net and read the police report. It reports on a sampling of the crimes committed in the DC metro area, mostly Mont and Frederick counties. I guess marc and his kind don't notice the fact that there are usually a handful of crimes committed with guns. There are many, many more committed by attacking the person with or without other kinds of weapons. Pocomoke made the point earlier that was obviously over the head of many here. Marc seems to believe you outlaw guns and crime will disappear. My answer: Washington DC. All, guns, not just handguns are outlawed for new sales and they lead the nation in per capita homicides year after year. Taking guns away doesn't reduce crime. Giving people right to carry does. That's a FACT that marc and his kind refuse to acknowledge because is conflicts with their ideology. Personally i don't disregard reality under any cirmcumstances because I'm not a dimwitted moron.

Posted by: yourmammy | December 13, 2006 3:21 PM

I thought the subject of the column was the concept of police raffling guns. How did the discussion turn into "me and my rights"? Some people sure do have one-track minds.

Posted by: Golly | December 13, 2006 3:23 PM

no, golly, maybe we have IQs higher than george bush and we understand what is behind this and every other anti-gun column that Fisher has written. Have you ever taken an English class at the college level? If so, it doesn't show and you should give it another whirl. If you think this article is about a single issue, than you are incapable of complex thought, which would be a prerequisite to debating a point. However, if narrowing it down to a single issue is all you can handle, at least be able to discern the issue itself. Just in case this is the first Fisher column you're read, he is anti-gun. He wrote an anti-gun column last week. He writes them all of the time.
It's probably just me, but I don't think you should accuse anyone of having a one track mind when you're obviously incapable of focusing on more than one issue at a time. It seems you can only grasp one "track" at a time. Some of us can think beyond that. I know that's hard to comprehend when you're not capable of it, but trust me. Not all of us are challenged in that way.

Posted by: yourmammy | December 13, 2006 3:57 PM

yourmammy/glen/Glen,

Are you not able to say what you need to say in a few succinct words, rather than rambling on and on. And you, of all people, should not accuse others of not being capable of complex thought.

Posted by: Maryland | December 13, 2006 4:15 PM

sorry maryland you've got me confused with someone else. I may know someone named Glen, somewhere, but can't recall a Glen off the top of my head. One thing I have been struck by when I've commented on any of these threads is that there seem to be an incredibly large number of people that seem really stupid, but on the other hand they are apparently capable of reading minds. Are you and golly one and the same? or do you just like to come to other's defense because you're just that type of Knight in Shining Armor? At any rate I wasn't talking to you ESP Master. In response to your future whining, let me be succinct for your weak mind. Your opinion is as significant to me as a single insect dying on another continent. Why don't you go find your friend Glen, you've apparently misplaced him or her.

Posted by: yourmammy | December 13, 2006 4:23 PM

Ok, because everyone in the world doesn't agree with yourmammy/glen/Glen, that makes everyone stupid. Well, yourmammy/glen/Glen, opinions are like a**holes, and you are a big one (and I don't mean a big opinion either).

Posted by: Maryland | December 13, 2006 4:28 PM

I can only say that is absolutey astounding. I don't know what you've been smoking Maryland, but I'd lay off of it. I don't know what yourmammy/Glen/glen means, sorry, I can't read minds like you can. At any rate if name-calling is what you consider debating, again, go find your friend Glen, or glen or whoever he is. Apparently I'm somehow supposed to know who you're referring to when you give the name Glen. If you mention a John I don't know, am I somehow an A-hole because I can't figure that out either? Man you are whacked. I'm not going to engage in conversation with a loony name-caller, sorry, don't have that much time on my hands. And I didn't say everyone in the world is stupid. I was only referring to you, your friends Glen and golly, and george bush. No Maryland, not everyone, just you. Put that in that pipe with your crack or whatever it is you're smoking. Geezy Peezy, what a loon.

Posted by: yourmammy | December 13, 2006 5:18 PM

Ok, Your mammy has some issues...and that's reality.

He can't speak without writing a paragraph, so my analogy...he/she likes to hear themselves talk.

Posted by: Frankey | December 14, 2006 10:15 AM

Thanks frankey I have been up all night long waiting for your opinion and checking every 2.2 minutes, because you're opinion of me is the most important thing in the universe. I'm glad you don't have any apparent "issues" that I can discern. It's perfectly normal for people to post comments where the topis is raffling guns and talk about having sex with other people's mothers, although you go by a name that makes everyone think you're a woman. What am I saying, you are a woman. Physician let me answer Frankey the girl for you. I don't have a mother, me and my friends share yours.

Posted by: yourmammy | December 14, 2006 10:22 AM

I think Marc had two points, although I'm really fishing for the first one:

1) It is inappropriate for police departments to raffle weaponry, even in a low-crime jurisdiction and 2) given the low-crime rate, what the heck do they need a command center for?

Whether you agree with Marc or not, does anyone agree with my interpretation?

Posted by: b gordon | December 14, 2006 10:53 AM

B. Gordon,

I agree with the first, but not the second.

And, I think he had another point. The Police Department in Princess Anne County (not Prince Anne as a few have written) is a bunch of stupid rednecks, not as enlightened as Marc, and we should all have a good laugh at their expense.

Posted by: Pocomoke | December 14, 2006 10:56 AM

yourmammy is spot on today, whomever he/she is . . . except for the parts where he/she sinks to the level of the anti-gun-owner crowd and engages in insult-throwing. YM: stick to skewering the anti-gun-owner crowd with the facts!

Posted by: k-romulus | December 14, 2006 11:07 AM

sorry k-romulus, I try, but sometimes it's too hard to pass up. I thought I knew who I was when I came on here, but apparently the mind-readers indicate that I'm someone else. Hence the reason I don't try to read minds - in my experience it doesn't work.

Posted by: yourmammy | December 14, 2006 11:35 AM

since when did all the idiots come out of their hiding places?

vaherder...i'd like to see you and your right-wing brethren without their trusty guns being chased by some wolves. now thats funny.

Posted by: yourpappy | December 14, 2006 12:48 PM

Ah, a voice from DC. Interesting that yourpappy wants to see us without our guns ... probably in DC ... that way he would be the only person with a gun.

Unfortunately for him, we can see him coming: he's the guy in the stolen North Face jacket (with a few holes in it).

What this moron doesn't understand is we will always have our guns and be ready and waiting for him. As far as wolves are concerned, the only packs we've seen running around now days are DC citizens.

Of course Marc, being the bleeding heart liberal that he is, would advocate re-populating DC with wolves, just like Yellowstone Park. And taking away your guns.

Survival of the fittest ... what a concept. Until it applies to bleeding heart liberals searching for votes in November.

Posted by: GunOwner | December 14, 2006 1:06 PM

b gordon, I agree that it does seem inappropriate for police agencies to raffle weapons, even is rural areas. However, in response to your second question, all police departments need to be prepared for any types of crime that they encounter. Even though the population of Princess Anne County doesn't warrant a SWAT team or mobile command center, they may be asked to assist a neighboring county (or even further) and we all know that ilk has a tendency to be mobile and they can very easily slither into Princess Anne County. And, although crime on the eastern shore is as bad as the DC/Baltimore area, they have there share and it's not as highly publicized and it is in the metro areas. They do have their share of illegal drug problems.

Posted by: Maryland | December 14, 2006 7:56 PM

To yourmammy, oh stop....was simply kidding, but since you went there...I am all man...and with you I wouldn't use vaseline...ouch!!!

You really are an idiot

Posted by: Frankey | December 15, 2006 1:19 PM

sure thing frankey, I'm sure you're a certified killer and all of that. Thus far you haven't said much to indicate that you're qualified to pass judgement as regards the intellect of others. It's telling also that despite the fact that you say I "went there," no, I didn't. I responded to the your mama comment you made to physician. You're the one that immediately started figuring out a way you could work having anal sex into it. Looks like you've had a lot of experience with that sort of thing. Do you buy vaseline and KY by the tub? Got it going on an industrial scale? Assembly line? I better go, don't want to keep you from it. I'm sure you've got lots of men to take care of before the day's out. Have fun tough guy gay man. Do you have any trouble balancing the fact that you're a baddass killer with the other side of your personality that likes to be used like a woman? Just curious.

Posted by: yourmammy | December 18, 2006 11:26 AM

To mammy....go away and seriously if it were ever possible, you would get what your father should have done, a beat down.

Posted by: Frankey | December 18, 2006 4:38 PM

hey frankey badass, why isn't it possible? want to give me a beatdown little girl? where you at? You talk like a real badass hiding there behind your PC. What kind of killer are you frankey? Navy Seal? Green Beret? Martial Arts killer? I think you're a pansy little girl. DC Metro area here sissy. Put up or shut up tough guy. I say you're a girl who can be slapped and turned out. Want to prove me wrong killer? Bring it punk.

Posted by: yourmammy | December 20, 2006 9:25 AM

sorry about my previous comments frankey. I realized after you tried reading my mind, which is the only way you could know anything about my relationship with my father, that you probably brought it up because your father molested you and that's why you're like you are. I realize now that it was a cry for help and that you want the world to know that daddy used you and that's why you can't stop your perverted behavior today. Again, my apologies, since I can't read minds like you it took me a minute to figure out that the fact that you're a frequently used gay man isn't really your fault. Is it? Poor wittle frankey girl. She's all mixed up.

Posted by: yourmammy | December 20, 2006 9:37 AM

Yourmammy you leave our man alone! We like her just the way she is! And she's having a bad week, she always gets in a really bad mood during her cycle. So just leave her alone!
It isn't her fault that she spends her days on her knees in an adult bookstore. That's her daddy's fault for taking her at such a tender young age! What's that you say frankey? I told you, we can't understand you when you're talking with your mouth full. I know your mouth is always full, but you've got to take a break sometime.

Posted by: oneoffrankeysmanymen | December 20, 2006 10:00 AM

Talkin 'bout my gur-ur-url. My girl! My girl! Frankey! Frankey!
Ya'll know the tune. When it's cold outside I've got the month of May. That's sweet Frankey.

Posted by: crooner(frankeysman) | December 21, 2006 2:10 PM

just checking back to make sure that frankey is the little pansy girl i thought she was. Well, not exactly, she's actually a gay man who is used so frequently that she can't finish the tough talk she started. She can't talk because her mouth is always full of something. And she's full of something too. I win! Frankey's a scaredy cat, frankey's a scaredy cat, frankey's a scaredy cat!!!

Posted by: yourmammy | December 26, 2006 3:06 PM