Print Columns   |   Web Chats   |   Blog Archives   |

Something in the Air

"Something in the Air: Radio, Rock and the Revolution that Shaped a Generation," my new book on the history of radio since the advent of TV, was published this week and I'll be reading from and signing books at several Washington-area bookstores and libraries over the next couple of weeks. I'd be honored to see any of the folks who gather here on the big blog at any of these events:

Sunday Jan. 21: Politics and Prose, 1 p.m.
5015 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20008
202-364-1919

Thursday Jan. 25: Prince George's County Public Library-Hyattsville, MD, 7 p.m.
6530 Adelphi Rd.
Hyattsville , MD 20782
301-985-4690

Saturday, Jan. 27: Borders--Tysons Corner, VA, 7:30 p.m.
Borders Books & Music, #29
8027 Leesburg Pike
Vienna , VA 22182
703-556-7766

Sunday, Feb 4: Barnes & Noble--Rockville, MD, 4 p.m.
Barnes & Noble (Store #2764)
12089 Rockville Pike
Rockville, MD 20852
301-881-0237

In addition, I'll be talking about the book on the Kojo Nnamdi Show on WAMU (88.5 FM) on Wednesday Jan. 24 at 1 p.m.
And Sam Litzinger of Washington Post Radio (1500 AM and 107.7 FM) has been running pieces on the book each afternoon this week at 2:20 p.m. The last chapter in his series will air today at 2:20.

An excerpt from the book will appear in Sunday's Washington Post Magazine, and I'll be online to discuss that piece, and the book as a whole, on washingtonpost.com's Live Online Monday Jan. 22 at noon.

You can hear audio clips of the book's main characters, and read more about it, at www.marcfisher.com

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming....

By Marc Fisher |  January 19, 2007; 7:33 AM ET
Previous: Exposing Fake Bands: The Truth in Music Bill | Next: Arts Groups Put on Their Own Shows

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Marc - congrats on your book, I'll check it out. I missed your chat yesterday, but read through it this morning and wanted to make a comment about the maps thrown out because they have erlich's name on them. While I agree with the comments about how wasteful it is to throw these out, I think its a little more wasteful to print them up in the first place, knowing that an election is imminent. Maybe thats where some of the blame should be placed...

Posted by: jj | January 19, 2007 8:38 AM

Marc:

Congratulations on the book; according to the Fairfax County Library Library book reserve system I'm number 1 on the list for it. Looking forward to reading it.

As to the maps--given all that's been written about Maryland's impending revenue crisis perhaps the new Governor should consider selling the old maps with his predecessor's photo to raise money. I, for one, would pay for the Ehrlich photo as opposed to getting a free O'Malley photo.

The map of the Socialist Workers Paradise North of the Potomac currently in my car has Harry Hughes' picture on it.

Posted by: 20th St. & Pennsylvania Ave., NW | January 19, 2007 9:14 AM

Marc
I'll be interested in reading your book and hope to come out to meet you. Regarding the Rockville event. February 4th is a Sunday, in fact Super Bowl Sunday.

Posted by: jmsbh | January 19, 2007 9:29 AM

Thanks for the correction, jmsbh: Yes, Sunday , Feb. 4 in Rockville--Super Bowl Sunday. What a pregame show it will be.

Posted by: Fisher | January 19, 2007 10:05 AM

Congratulations on the new book Marc.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 19, 2007 10:20 AM

Okay, Mr. F, if we show up at P&P should we come as ourselves or disguised as our nom-de-blogs? I'm not coming if Mr. Methane's there -- to cite just one obvious poster I hope not to meet in person.

Posted by: Kalorama Kat | January 19, 2007 3:09 PM

P. S. It's especially important that Mister Methane stay away from a discussion on "Something in the Air."

Posted by: Kalorama Kat | January 19, 2007 3:26 PM

Hey, I really look forward to reading your book and will try to attend one of the book-signing sessions. I've enjoyed your articles about radio for many years in the Post.

Posted by: Steve H. | January 19, 2007 6:59 PM

lMarc, I'd rather wait until baseball season and see you at the ballpark. I'll buy you some Dippin Dots. Will Bens Chilie Bowl be there this year?

Posted by: Hungry | January 19, 2007 7:30 PM