Print Columns   |   Web Chats   |   Blog Archives   |

Jack Johnson: Friend? Me?

A week ago, Prince George's County Executive Jack Johnson was Keith Washington's fraternity brother, an occasional dinner partner, enough of a pal that the county chief found a comfy spot for Washington as the #2 in the Prince George's homeland security office. And police Corporal Washington was a loyal friend and supporter, appearing at Johnson's campaign events, donating to his campaign, going well beyond the signs of friendship that police officers usually display toward politicians.

But then Washington shot two Marlo's Furniture delivery men in an altercation at the policeman's home in Accokeek. One of those men has since died; the other remains in critical condition.

And despite the county police department's initial, perhaps instinctive, urge to announce that the victims of the shooting would be accused of being the aggressors in the incident, subsequent comments from the county have pulled back from that position.

Now, Johnson must be feeling the heat. The county executive, in an unusual statement to reporters, now wants it made clear that he's no friend of Washington's--not now, not ever.

Sure, Washington was once his driver, but they never talked politics, just sports, Johnson says. They didn't dine together; they may have just stopped along the road for a quick bite.

"I don't call him. He doesn't call me," Johnson told the Post's Cheryl Thompson and Martin Weil.

I love the sight of backpedaling in the morning.

Johnson goes on to say that when the investigation of this shooting is completed, he wants Washington to go back where he came from, to the police department. His job in the homeland security office seems to be finito.

Which is all very impressive, except that it isn't quite that easy. If Washington is guilty of using unnecessary force--or worse--then shunting him off to a police job is a woefully insufficient response. If Washington did nothing wrong, then why is his boss dumping him like a hot potato? And if the years of allegations against Washington amount to a pattern of abusive and violent behavior, then Johnson must answer for the county's decision not only to defend Washington for all these years, but to promote him to a position of considerable authority.

Distancing yourself from a loyal supporter gone bad is a tricky move for a politician--sometimes it's necessary, but it's rarely enough to quiet important questions about the depth and meaning of the relationship. In this case, the questions are just beginning.

By Marc Fisher |  February 5, 2007; 7:41 AM ET
Previous: An Officer--And An Ungentle Man | Next: Dangerous Levees, Right Here in River City

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Typical PG Cty corruption and a typical PG county cop. I can remember my parents telling me never mouth off to PG Cty PO when I was 7yo back in 1966. And my uncle who was PG Cty Circuit Court the same thing back in 1972. Hopefully this pig will be tried and convicted and then thrown in with the general population in what ever MD prison he ends up in. No special protection for him. Cant Jackie do a better job of not showing how corrupt he is. How long before he is up on charges!

Posted by: vaherder | February 5, 2007 8:33 AM

Call me crazy, but... somehow, the police department just doesn't seem to be the right place for this guy.

Posted by: Matt | February 5, 2007 9:09 AM

Ever notice that law enforcement agencies have a strict policy of not discussing ongoing investigations with the media -- unless of course, they feel it is in their interest to do so? The initial pronouncements in by the PG police in this case were the height of irresponsibility -- and would have been even if they had not been completely groundless.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 5, 2007 9:17 AM

uh, jail perhaps?? kill two people and get demoted?? wonderful. ok, ok, i dont know all the facts, but this is incredible.

Posted by: pete | February 5, 2007 9:17 AM

that should say "kill one, critically injure another"

Posted by: pete | February 5, 2007 9:18 AM

We shouldn't forget that candidate Jack Johnson literally ran away from his opponent to avoid a debate, so we knew that he was quick on his feet.

Posted by: Paul | February 5, 2007 9:20 AM

this is pretty much why I hate cops. I know every cop-apologist will tell me that I am "safe" because cops take on the stressful job of "protecting" us from the bad guys, but in reality, most cops are just criminals with badges. bullies and sadists. it's too bad for all the good cops out there, but there are an overwhelming number of bad cops that make me distrust every single person with a badge.

what other job do you get to beat up an innocent person and then announce that it was justified because you didn't know whether he was armed?

Posted by: OD | February 5, 2007 10:47 AM

While many of you seem to bash Jack Johnson he didn't fire the bullet that killed one man and critically injured another. As a matter of fact he wasn't even the one who initially hired him and gave him a gun that would have been Paris Glendenning.

The fact of the matter is that most police officers are not criminals. the majority of them are law abiding citizens trying to make a life for themselves and their families. I am sure there are some police officers engaged in some sort of illict activities, but the majority, 95-99%, are not criminals.

I truly hope that you, as a potential parent, don't spew those negative and hateful words to your children.

Posted by: John | February 5, 2007 10:59 AM

I spent the first 26 years of my life in P.G.Co., and never ran afoul of the local police, thank God. Now that I have lived elsewhere for many years, I fear for the safety of my relatives who still reside there. I don't know whether they face greater danger at the hands of the bad guys or the cops. Sounds like a lose-lose situation for all who live, or even visit, there.

Posted by: Running Scared | February 5, 2007 11:06 AM

At first I was thinking that perhaps the people were breaking in, then I re-read that they were delivering furniture. I can just see it now. They probably scratch or break something of his, say too bad, and argued about how they were not going to pay for it and maybe tried to use some of that hard earned muscle on the off duty cop, so he shot them. Well, unless we are given the whole story we will never know and our imaginations will have to fill in the blanks. I just do not see one guy trying to pick a fight with two burly furniture delivery men. Anyway, that aside, his friend, politician or not, sounds like a slimey weasel. When will they learn to not deny the obvious??? If he is a friend, stand by him, or tell him he did bad and say that you will no longer associate with him. What this guy did should not reflect on someone else, unless of course he continues to hang out with him after he is found guilty. Just denying any friendship one way or the other stinks.

Posted by: Chris | February 5, 2007 11:10 AM

I don't know if you have been following the story, Chris, but the police officer in question has a history of bullying behavior. He was expelled from his homeowners association for picking fights with his neighbers at meetings! And the delivery in question was a second trip to resolve some previous problem. I would like to hear the whole story too, but it seems to me that Officer Washington has a lot of 'splainin' to do.

Posted by: Paul | February 5, 2007 11:23 AM

If the second guy also dies, Washington will get away scot-free, as there will be no testimony to contradict his claim of self-defense. MOM supporters, all!

Posted by: RL | February 5, 2007 12:21 PM

I can't imagine these guys from Marlo starting a fight with a customer. This Washington clown is a timebomb and needs to be let go from PGPD. This is not a guy we want walking around with a firearm. Keep digging on this story Marc and let's hope the other guy lives to tell his story.

SHAME SHAME SHAME on the cops for speaking out prematurely without knowing the facts. The citizens of PG deserve better all around.

Posted by: questions | February 5, 2007 12:58 PM

It's the house that Jack built, so watch him replace Washington with another friend and or supporter. It's called Greater Washington Area politics and policies. So who do know ? Not what you know. PLEASE REMEMER THAT.

Posted by: Della | February 5, 2007 1:04 PM

Thank you, Marc Fisher, for keeping this story alive, as it seems to be fading from the news most everywhere else.

By the way, now that 10 days have passed, where is the statement from Washington?

Posted by: Kitty, a PG resident | February 5, 2007 1:40 PM

Jack Johnson may not have pulled the trigger, but he certainly gave Keith Washington the authority to do so. Their close relationship reminds me of the saying "those who lie down with dogs come up with fleas". Johnson's dirty and Washington should be indicted.

Posted by: Nola | February 5, 2007 1:41 PM

Why can't Post reporters get more details on this shooting? Dig, folks. Don't just use the phone -- wear down some shoe leather.

Posted by: Karl | February 5, 2007 2:19 PM

It's all too easy to say that it is another example of Jack Johnson's flawed judgment. The people he surrounds himself with, the inaction over the school board, the hospital, the murder rate and his inability to secure proper funding from Annapolis and Washington all are result of the same ineffectual leaderhip Jack possessed when he could not clean-up the police department as State's Attorney.

But the real fault lies with the citizens themselves. During his first term, Jack Johnson demonstrated his incompetence. Yet he was reelected. Prince Georgians (of which I am one) prefer this as the status quo. If you voted for JJ (I did not), then this is what you voted for.

His friends, his lack of policy, vision or action and his 8 year term as county executive have the approval of 52.55% of the voters.

Posted by: Prince Georgian | February 5, 2007 2:23 PM

Good points by Keith and Kitty. Where is the outrage on this and why hasn't the Post pressed harder? You have one victim who can't talk because he's dead and another whose life is being guarded by peers of the officer who shot him. Get him out of PGH to someplace safe and neutral. The Post needs to blow this up. Where are comments by Washington's lawyer? Marlo furniture? recipients from the delivery stop before Washington's house who can shed light on the victims demeanors? Does Glenn Ivy have anything else to say? Don't let this story go away quietly. The citizen's deserve better.

Posted by: Nola | February 5, 2007 2:33 PM

Sorry, Karl. I called you "Keith".

Posted by: Nola | February 5, 2007 2:35 PM

If the PG County Police Dept. was waiting for this excuse for an officer to kill someone before doing something about him, well, now he's done it. What is the Department's plan?

Keith Washington doesn't belong on the force. He belongs in a cage. And the cronyism and conflict of interest that got him his cushy job thanks to his relationship with Jack Johnson is only one of many reasons why reelecting Johnson was a mistake.

Police officers and their union hacks hate the very mention of it, but a Civilian Review Board is the only defense we, THE TAXPAYERS WHO PAY POLICE OFFICERS' SALARIES, have against out-of-control-police officers.

Enough!

Posted by: CEEAF | February 5, 2007 2:36 PM

The Post has been asleep on this story in the sense that we haven't really seen any digging beyond just official statement vs. official backpeddle vs. next statement.

Get off your butts. I know it is cold but there is a story out here you are not digging up.

Posted by: Bob | February 5, 2007 3:04 PM

If a senior police officer, trained and armed, cannot exercise better self-defense than killing and critcially wounding unarmed delivery men, then this senior officer is a shame to his profession and should be removed, regardless of who started the fight.

Posted by: cpw | February 5, 2007 3:29 PM

from www.tadcranky.blogspot.com

Friday, January 26, 2007

I Shot My Movers

(Based on a true story, and with apologies to J. Hendrix)

Hey-ay, Mr. Homeland Security
A-where you goin' wit that gun a-yos?
Hey-ay, Mr. Homeland Security
I said where you goin' with that gun in your hand?
All-right
I'm goin' down to shoot the movers
You know I don't like that new bedroom set

Yeah!

I'm goin' down to shoot the Marlo movers
They been bangin' up my paint with my new bedroom set
Huh! That ain't too cool

A-hey-ay, Mr. Homeland Security
I heard you shot those movers down
You shot 'em down

Hey-ay, Mr. Homeland Security
I heard you shot the movers down
They're goin' downtown

Yeah!

Yes I did, I shot 'em
My ol' lady doesn't like all those dings in our walls

A-yes I did, I shot 'em both
I told 'em I know the County Executive
And then I gave 'em the gun
I shot 'em

Mr. Homeland Security, where you goin'?
Alright!
Go get a new bedroom set,
Maybe wait for Presidents' Day sales

Yeah!
Ooh, dig this!

Ah! Alright!

Ooo-oo-ooo Mr. Homeland Security, where you gonna shop now
Hey-ay Mr. Homeland Security, look out!
Where you gonna find movers, now?
Where you gonna find, movers now?

Well, dig this
(Hey-ay-ay-ay-ay, Mr. Homeland Security)
I'm going way down south
Way down to North Carolina way
They got some outlets there, outlets there

(Hey-ay-ay Joe, where you gonna go now)
I'm goin' way down south
I'll just rent a U-Haul
Move the bedroom set my own damn self
Hire some guys hangin' outside 7-11, outside 7-11

(Hey-ay, Mr. Homeland Security where you gonna go)
A-ain't no Marlo movers comin' for me
They ain't getting near my stuff

You better believe, right now

I gotta go now

Hey-hey-hey, Mr. Homeland Security
You better head on down
Goodbye ev'rybody

Posted by: ray | February 5, 2007 3:39 PM

I agree with Karl, Nola and Bob that the Post should be pushing harder and digging deeper on this one.

Let's all try sending this request to the Post ombudsman, Debora Howell at http://projects.washingtonpost.com/staff/email/deborah+howell/

Any other ideas how to get this back into the news cycle on TV, radio, and print?

Posted by: Kitty, a PG resident | February 5, 2007 4:06 PM

This sad situation totally represents the culture that jj has been pushing in pg county for years. It's well known that when jj was the state's attorney he would "throw the book" at not-black defendants in order to make the county's crime race statistics look better. It's also common knowledge that he prosecuted (persecuted) many cases at the request of his political allies and many times overrode the suggestions of his investigative staff in order to 'hammer' some minor crime defendant into the ground and make it look like he was actually fighting "serious" crime (like grafitti, j-walking, ...)

Posted by: jhh | February 5, 2007 5:17 PM

If the circumstances weren't so tragic then it would be hillarious how Jack Johnson tries disassociate from Keith Washington. Johnson says that he never had lunch with Washington but he does not explain why he appointed an unqualified person to the county's homeland security department. Moreover, everyone knows that Johnson backed Washington's campaign for the county council.

Just look at Washington's campaign receipts. The Johnson people bankrolled his race.

Posted by: Yockel | February 5, 2007 5:20 PM

I believe Mr. Washington is already an angry person, and continuing to allow him to stay on the police force once he has lost his homeland security position will only make him angrier. I hope to God that no one I know will ever come in contact with him. Once he gets by with this killing (and he probably will), he will be out of control. I don't believe those deliverymen attacked him. I think that did with most delivery people do -- and that is to call their supervisor to alert them that the customer is not happy and to get guidance. Perhaps someone could have said something like 'we are just here to deliver, if you have a problem, contact the furniture store, etc.' Now Mr. Washington's reputation seems to indicate that he was quick to anger and show that he "is the man" and I think he seems to be too quick to bring out the guns. He killed someone in the prime of his life and I am angry about Jack Johnson (who I supported) for choosing this guy -- "emotionally tough". He is "emotionally sick". He has to be punished and put in jail with Bubba as he threatened Mr. Maslousky. Thanks for listening.

Posted by: CARRIE | February 5, 2007 5:58 PM

Marc Fisher is truly an idoit!

Posted by: Greg | February 5, 2007 6:45 PM

This issue has more to do w/what happened that night, than irrelevant Johnson-bashing. The focus SHOULD be on ensuring a thorough and transparent investigation. If the EVIDENCE is indicative of Washington's culpability, then he should definitely be held accountable. But if he really WAS defending his/his family's safety -- regardless of his history or reputation -- then THAT is what the verdict should reflect.

It's sad, but not surprising, to note how Johnson has distanced himself from Washington, but what do you expect? On another note, unless you (previously) heard it directly from Johnson, Washington, or their families, how the hell does the press know whether or not these 2 were "friends" or just "friendLY?" Does any of that (lack of) "friendship" discount the fact that a person is dead, tragically?

Real, objective reporting calls for citing sources and providing background for readers to consider.

Regardless of a person's personality that other friends, family or co-workers see, one never knows how the average person can act "out of character" in certain situation. Let the authorities do their job; when the public becomes/remains knowledgeable, we can do ours.

Posted by: Ntlekt | February 5, 2007 6:50 PM

I live on the other side of the river and only travel through PIG County to get to the stadium or to Southern MD. It's not safe for man or beast, black or white- if'n the criminals don't getcha then the coppers will. What you must remember is that if Washington retains either job (and perpetrates more mayhem on citizens in PIG County), then JJ (reminders me of the ol' JJ from TV Land- "dy-no-mite") will certainly be sueable (big bucks) for allowing an extremely dangerous lowlife to carry a badge. Of course, Washington may have made himself a target.

Posted by: Charlie | February 5, 2007 6:57 PM

He wants Washington back to the police department...that*s pretty funny, I suspect that is not going to happen either.

Posted by: karl | February 5, 2007 8:03 PM

Greg, takes one to know one

Posted by: Anonymous | February 5, 2007 9:49 PM

I Like the last sentence of Marc's piece. "In this case the questions are just beginning".

HOPE SO!

Posted by: Count Bobulescu | February 6, 2007 12:04 AM

"Marc Fisher is truly an idoit!" (sic).

The real "idoits", Greg, are the people who put an unstable excuse for a human being like Keith Washington in a position of authority and gave him a gun.

"Idoits" indeed!

Posted by: CEEAF | February 6, 2007 12:54 AM

I hope the Post does pusue this story.As far as I can tell,the Washington Times has not run anything about it.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 6, 2007 2:03 AM

How many people say good things about a cop who arrests them? How many people "didn't do anything, but the cops were mean to me"? How many falling down drunks only had 1 beer? You don't know the whole story. You don't know Keith Washington. You don't know what went on in that house. Instead of letting the media convict Mr. Washington, why not insist they print ALL of the facts instead of just the ones that make good copy and paint him as a crazy person? They are supposed to be investigators - why stop at the first layer of the story? Is this an objective newspaper or a National Enquirer type tabloid? The Post is just using the negative smut for the headline. The Post's dislike of Jack Johnson is legendary and by association, Mr. Washington has had half truth stories published about him from the very beginning. Delve a little deeper into the homeowner's association story. Check out the FINAL outcome with ALL of the people involved. Why were the charges dropped? What happened to everyone after they were dropped? Take the investigation to the FINAL Conclusion. Scared he might have been standing up for what was right? Scared you might have to say something nice about the guy? Also, Mr. Washington has had EXTENSIVE anti-terrorist training. He is the perfect person for this homeland security position. Who do you want to be at the post? Some wuss who backs up at the first sign of trouble (Jack?)or someone who will stand up and say "Let's get it done right" and then do it. Do you want someone who will jump at any glance from the powers that be or do you want a man who will work to protect you at all costs? Again, you don't know what went on in that house. Didn't you ever wonder why someone would jump on not one but TWO strong delivery guys bigger than he was? Just for the hell of it? What would make YOU jump two people bigger than you? Don't be led like sheep by the Post, wait until you get ALL the FACTS and make up your OWN mind. Don't be part of a mob mentality. Straighten up your soapbox Washington Post; it's on a big slant. You'll sell papers anyway. You are right about one thing. Jack Johnson seems to be a scared, back-stabbing, inarticulate, "out for himself" rotten, weasel. And for the record, Jack Johnson did NOT fund Mr. Washington's campaign.

Posted by: Gal | February 6, 2007 10:06 AM

Posted by: Dimbulb | February 6, 2007 10:11 AM

Gal, have you paid any attention to this story, or are you simply responding to Fisher's blog? Are you not aware that WITNESSES to a previous arrest raised questions about his brutality...as all decent citizens should in those situations...only to be arrested and carted off to jail. And taunted with the prospect with prison rape. Have you not read of his liberal use of his gun? There are police that go their entire careers without pulling their weapon, this guy seems to do it with regularity. When you ask "What makes YOU jump 2 people bigger than you", you're displaying a certain level of ignorance. He didn't have to jump anybody, he had a freaking gun for God's sake. Please do your research and read what witnesses said about his penchant for violence, then you'd believe he's a man capable of shooting a deliveryman over a scratch on his headboard. This guy needs a new residential zip code. Jessup.

Oh, and Washington didn't have a campaign to fund. Police and homeland security positions aren't elected by citizens. It was Johnson's campaign Washington funded.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 6, 2007 11:42 AM

I am Brandon's step-sister. The person I hold resposible for the loss of my brother is Keith Washington. If the Washington Times isn't running this story, you might want to think about who might be paying them not to run it. There are a lot of facts on the table and there are a lot of questions that still need to be answered. There are two sides to every story. But one thing that I do know for certain is, my brother was not one to assault a police officer. He was kind young man who believe family was his everything. I know a church member who was a neighbor to Keith Washington. They've informed me that he has a temper. But why would you shoot some one over a scratch? I pray to God that the other delivery mover makes it. My brother was fighting for his life and he wasn't able to tell us the details.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 6, 2007 1:00 PM

If I read it wrong, pardon my ignorance. However, from the tv and news articles, it seems Mr. Washington only shot after he was attacked. The tv news said that he sustained injuries. I can't imagine someone attacking a guy and producing injuries AFTER he pulls a gun can you? What I'm saying is things just don't quite add up to the media slant.

Speaking of the the other incident, the paper also said Mr. Washington denied that he had taunted anyone. Were there witnesses to that too? But of course since he is a policeman you must automatically assume he is lying.

Oh, and he DID have a campaign to fund. He ran for PG County Council last year.

Like I said, do some research, stop parroting what the media says. Again, I say don't feed into the media frenzy and convict a person (any person) before all the facts are out. Whatever happened to "Innocent until proven guilty"? How would you like that "guilty first" applied to you?

Posted by: Gal | February 6, 2007 1:46 PM

Ok Gal,

The two movers called their supervisor and told him that Washington was getting very irate, and they asked what they should do. Their supervisor told them "to give Mr. Washington anything he wants."

But, you believe the movers went back in and assaulted Keith Washington. No where have I read or heard that Keith Washington had any injuries. And, if he did, why didn't he get them treated instead of going into hiding like the coward he is. No one has heard from or seen Washington since that fateful day.

One thing is clear, there were witnesses to his other encounters with his homeowners association and his arrest of a complaining citizen.

But, despite all that, you want to believe that two people, on their job, (and one of them was 6 feet 4 inches) decided to attack a slightly built man of 5 feet 7 inches)?

Posted by: Anonymous | February 6, 2007 2:28 PM

Gal, I agree with your saying "Don't feed into the media frenzy and convict a person (any person) before all the facts are out", but isn't that what the police department did in the beginning. The first story on the air was the police department stating that Washington was assaulted by two delivery man. I don't know about you, but I didn't hear the police come on television and apologize after they didn't have all the facts. The charges were dropped, but no apologies went out to the men and their families. Instead 2 deliveryman were convicted as guilty while they lay in a bed in PG county fighting for their life and 1 died which makes the situation worst. To make a comment about Mr. Washington running for PG Council, if my knowledge is correct, he did lose, didn't he? I wonder how he took that loss.

Posted by: Tia | February 6, 2007 2:47 PM

I didn't say I believed anything. That's why I want to wait for the facts. It is just as believable that 2 big guys jumped a small guy as 1 small guy jumping 2 big guys. When this first happened, the news said that Mr. Washington was treated and released at an area hospital. You are calling him a coward. How do you know what or who he is? Some people have obviously have already decided that Mr. Washington is guilty and facts to the contrary will just get in the way of their decision.

Yes Tia, the police did jump too fast and they were wrong too. NOBODY should be tried and convicted by the police, the public or the media. Only the courts should do that in a calm and truthful procedure. Why does everything have to turn into such a frenzy that nobody knows what the heck is going on? Also, yes he did lose to the incubent Marilyn Bland. I heard he gave a very gracious concession speech. I did not personally hear it.

Posted by: Gal | February 6, 2007 4:43 PM

Jail Washington. Fire Johnson.

Posted by: DC | February 6, 2007 6:17 PM

Washington has a track record of not being able to control his anger. There are witnesses that will testify to this. Anyone who thinks that this incident was caused by "TWO strong delivery guys bigger than he was" is an ignorant fool. Unfortunately, this prick will probably never lose his job, serve time for murder, or get the sh*t beaten out of him for what he has done.

Posted by: bring it | February 6, 2007 7:32 PM

"The exodus from DC brought the same voters to PG that voted for another worthless politician, Marion Barry. You get what you voted for bro."

I hate to admit it, but you're right.

Posted by: CEEAF | February 6, 2007 9:21 PM

No one who has thus far written about this incident was a witness. That being said, we know that there have been complaints about Officer Washington in the past, including a jury award for over $250,000 finding him culpable for the unjust arrest and strip search a man who dared complain about his unjust behavior towards a fellow citizen. The most recent event seems to be result of an escalating trend of unstable and abusive behavior on behalf of Mr. Washington. Neither of the movers was ever noted for a history of violence. Let common sense be your guide here.

Posted by: Wise Prince. | February 7, 2007 5:45 PM

Now that the survivor is talking, it won't be long before into Hagerstown Mr. Washington will be walking.

Posted by: 20744 | February 7, 2007 6:25 PM

Gal, we could care less about Mr. Washington's "gracious concession speech." I am so thankful that he lost. This man has a history of predatory/antagonistic behavior. Do you know that the PGPD first gave a statement that Washington received minor injuries. After the news reported that Messrs. White and Clark were in serious/grave condition, the PGPD then gave a statement that Washington had received serious injuries. Fox News challenged their contradictory statements, asking the PGPD that first you said Washington received minor injuries and now you're saying that he received serious injuries, what were the serious injuries received by Mr. Washington? The PGPD DECLINED to answer. Sounds like bull to me. Gal, if it will make you feel better to defend Washington and suggest that the Washington Post slanted the facts, and that it's impossible for a little man (with a gun) to attack 2 big men (who were unarmed), then do so. The Washington Post is just reporting what they were told (and I'm thankful for that because if it weren't for them, we would not know as much as we do now; and I hope they continue to report on this story). In fact, I sat and watched the news as the PGPD were making these two contradictory statements. So who's slanting the facts? Fact is that these men were on their jobs, and yes, it is easy for 1 small man with a big gun to attack 2 unarmed "big" men. Let's get the facts straight -- the little man with a big gun shot 2 unarmed men while they were doing their jobs, one of which has since died! My heart goes out to these men and their families. Oh, and by the way, Gal, did you see the article where Washington's older daughter and her mother gave an account of his temper and bad attitude? I guess they don't know what they're talking about either. You know something is wrong when your own child speaks out against you. I don't think anyone's jumping to conclusions. We're just acknowledging that there's a serious problem in PG County that needs to be resolved. And the best thing the citizens of PG County can do is to unanimously admit that there's a problem -- high rate in crime and bad cops -- and then together work hard to correct the problem. The fact that these men -- 2 shot, 1 of which has since died -- were harmed by an off-duty cop should enrage PG County residents enough to demand a change in our County!

Posted by: dlhistrgirl | February 13, 2007 12:55 AM