Print Columns   |   Web Chats   |   Blog Archives   |  

When Terrorism Hit Home: Remembering Maurice Williams

In the stories told about the early years of home rule in the District of Columbia, the Hanafi Muslims' 1977 assault on the District Building, the B'nai B'rith headquarters and the Islamic Center has somehow morphed into little more than a chapter in the remarkable political ascent of Marion Barry, who was shot in the chest by a Hanafi gunman.

But when dozens of politicians, journalists and others gathered this morning to recall that awful March day 30 years ago, the emphasis was where it should be: On Maurice Williams, the 24-year-old journalist for WHUR radio who was shot and killed by the terrorists as he went about his job of reporting on the city government.

The tiny press room in the Wilson Building was renamed for Williams today, and a plaque recalling his sacrifice was mounted on the wall, and speeches were made and families consoled, but the day was really about the sense of pride and purpose that Williams and other journalists, as well as Barry and other politicians, brought to the then-new concept that Washington would be governed not by federal overseers, but by the people who live here.

Maurice Williams was a D.C. kid, born and raised. He was a reporter for what was then one of the first black-owned radio stations in the country, a little corner of the media landscape that was experimenting with a new approach to covering the news, "trying to cover the city, nation and world as no African-American radio station had before," as Kojo Nnamdi, then the station's news editor, put it today. But Williams, at 24, was also a poet and a dreamer, a kid who drew a comic strip about a planet called Eltar-6.

The kid wanted to join Nnamdi and WHUR alumnus Milton Coleman, by then a City Hall reporter for The Washington Post, for lunch on that fateful day, but the kid was not allowed "to hang with the big boys," Nnamdi said, the regret still evident in the timbre of his voice. While Coleman and Nnamdi went off for Chinese food on 13th Street, Maurice Williams returned to his post, where a terrorist wielding a shotgun blew holes in his red sweater. Williams died instantly.

"We were all new and we were all young," Channel 9 reporter Bruce Johnson said of that moment. (See great 1977 footage from 9's original coverage of the siege here.) "We didn't know what terrorism meant." Inside the District Building, he said, "it looked like a war zone--windows shot out, tables overturned."

When Johnson went over to the Washington Hospital Center to see Barry, the reporter was stunned to be permitted to enter with his camera. "Then again," Johnson reflected, "it was Marion Barry. He wasn't going to miss an opportunity--'I'm alive, get the cameras in.'" Johnson noted that it was just a matter of days before Barry, then an at-large council member, announced he would run for mayor.

Barry took some good-natured ribbing about his political ambition at the ceremonies, but he also showed yet again that he can still muster some of the old magic. A parade of politicians spoke, some movingly, but no one captured the attention and hearts of those assembled like Barry. He knows how to work a room better than almost anyone else in this city, which is saying something. He started by noting that "my stomach is turning, listening to all that"--the other speakers' accounts of the day on which he was shot. He called for a moment of silence in memory of the two men--Williams and security guard Mack Cantrell--who died as a result of the attack. He paid tribute to God: "Had it not been for His mercies, graces, power, I would not be standing here today." He called up the relatives of the two fallen men to stand by him--something no other speaker had thought to do. And then Barry told his story:

"I came off the elevator and walked across the hall and shots rang out. I was hit right here, right where my heart is. I managed to stumble into the council chambers and sat in a chair. Everybody was ducking. I was fighting. I was afraid not to breathe, afraid to breathe. I prayed to God to save me from all of this. Two police officers got a stretcher, they ran upstairs and put me on the stretcher and took me out to the ambulance. That was the longest ride I had in my life. And bumpy."

Struck by buckshot an inch from his heart, Barry went into surgery and emerged ready to push on. "God just save me," he said, "saved me to go on and do great things for the city." Barry tried halfheartedly to deny that his ambition was as powerful and evident as other speakers made it out to be, but he did add that the shooting "made me more impatient," and he turned to Mayor Adrian Fenty and said that Mayor Blackberry's dynamism demonstrates that same sense of Do it now that Barry ascribed to himself.

The crowd heard from former Council Chairman Sterling Tucker, who confirmed Johnson's account of Barry's ambition ("No one could top this--the lengths to which one would go to win election!") and from others who tried to draw lessons from the takeover: Council Chairman Vincent Gray framed the 1977 incident as a reminder why last week's federal court ruling tossing out the District's anti-gun law was "an awful decision" and B'nai B'rith executive vice president Dan Mariaschin noted that the hostage-taking "was a wake-up call that went largely ignored."

Kojo Nnamdi guided the focus back to Maurice Williams and the need to recall the heady days when home rule represented a giant step forward for black Washington and for black political power nationwide. Nnamdi credited WTOP reporter Mark Segraves for the relentless work it took to focus the city's political and journalistic circles on the failure to have recognized Williams properly. "Something deep inside drove Mark to make this a singular personal mission," Nnamdi said. Segraves enlisted Channel 7 anchor Maureen Bunyan, Channel 4 reporter Tom Sherwood and Nnamdi to make calls to bring the 70s political elite and the families of the fallen together for this moment.

In the press room, where several of the city's news organizations have desks for the reporters who still cover the D.C. government even in this time of cutbacks and layoffs and the dismantling of the newsgathering apparatus of a nation, there is now a plaque in Maurice Wiliams' name, as well as a collection of photos recalling those early years in the still-limited democratic experiment that is the District of Columbia.

By Marc Fisher |  March 12, 2007; 12:57 PM ET
Previous: Next on the Daylight Saving Express: Make It Year-Round | Next: Now You Can Drink and Vegetate at the Same Time


Please email us to report offensive comments.

I hate to be cynical here but it is pretty sad that it took the DC Government 30 years to recognize the late Maurice Williams with a plaque in a building the DC Goventment no longer occupies. And to try to bring this event around to the recent ruling against the District's unlawful and unconstitutional gun ban law by you and Vincent Gray is pathetic. The gun ban was in effect in 1977 and the terrorists decided not to play by the rules. So what good did that law do on March 12, 1977?

Posted by: Anonymous | March 12, 2007 3:33 PM

I was 19 yrs old and a student at Federal City College/UDC and I will never forget the day that this tragic incident happened. And I've never stopped talking about or thinking about what happened to Maurice Williams since that day. That was a sad day for everyone! I'm happy that Mark Segraves took the time and effort to make this happen. I applaud his efforts!

Posted by: dlhistrgirl | March 12, 2007 10:47 PM

In the coverage of this story, it's been impossible to find any indication of what happened to the terrorists. Are they still in prison?

Posted by: Tom T. | March 13, 2007 8:59 AM

Fisher, Thanks for a great article. To respond to a few of the above posts:
The District government does occupy the District Building (now the Wilson Building). The city did honor Maurice and Mack Cantrell 30 years ago, but when the Feds took brief control of the building, the plaque for Maurice was lost. Yesterday we corrected that. I believe some of the weapons the Hanafis used were actually registered. Hamass Abdul Kalis, the leader of the Hanafis, died in prison, all were sentenced to jail, some got early release.

It was a very special event and thanks goes to all who made an effort to attend and honor a real pioneer in reporting, Maurice Williams of WHUR.

Posted by: Mark Segraves, WTOP | March 13, 2007 9:15 AM

I lived in the District when this happened--it was terrifying.

Posted by: KateCoe | March 13, 2007 9:46 AM

thank you for this article I'm a family member (a cousin) his father Otto williams and my Mother Maggie martin from greenwood south carlina are cousin. I want to get in touch with the family. I live in upper marlboro, md please give my number 202-695-4545. this is not a prank

Posted by: Mildred | March 13, 2007 1:12 PM

phone number 202-685-4545 sent incorrect
phone number on first email

Posted by: mildred | March 13, 2007 1:12 PM

h57ecgl4pg3xa y80n9h0gl0 [URL=] lp6azd5cajdn1 [/URL] uhal63vsyc

Posted by: 5mvuaa5fi8 | March 20, 2007 12:09 PM

The comments to this entry are closed.


© 2010 The Washington Post Company