Print Columns   |   Web Chats   |   Blog Archives   |

Protesters at Lafayette Park

Dion Haynes reports from Lafayette Park:

Hundreds of protesters walked around with signs that said the country should "Drop Bush, Not Bombs" and declared Bush guilty of war crimes.

Ada Dunwody, 49, of Ft. Myers, Fla., carried a poster with photos of mutilated troops and children. Among the photos were a severed limb on the ground and a person whose face had been blown off.

"My poster is based on the reality of war. This is what it looks like, people mutilated and damaged. People need to see that," she said.

By Aruna Jain |  September 15, 2007; 12:18 PM ET
Previous: Gathering of Eagles | Next: Even Demonstrators Have To Eat

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

WOW! Hundreds of anti war protestors you say? I'm sure they'll change the course of history. Listen, the time for demonstrating is over - the clown in the white house only listens to the voices in his head. The ONLY solution is for a viable 3rd party candidate to come along and shake things up.

Posted by: Raoul | September 15, 2007 12:33 PM

I have gotten some of my favourite souvenirs at anti-war marches.

My wife bought a button that says "Buck Fush" at the Sept. 25, 2005 march in D.C. She has it stuck on her purse. We get chuckles and compliments about it almost every time we go out here, and when we travel to Europe.

A T-shirt I bought (for only $5!) at a protest in San Francisco has a picture of Bush-boy with a Hitler mustache on it, with the word EVIL above his head and DOER underneath, plus some small-print quotes from "1984." It's a great conversation starter when we travel abroad, and a way to show we're not the Ugly American who's now despised all over the planet.

I would advise anyone who goes to these rallies to get things that show how much you despise George Bush. It will win you friends anywhere in the world. With the possible exception of Albania. But that's not on my holiday planner for this life, or the next, and the one after that's looking dodgy as well...

Posted by: Bukko in Australia | September 15, 2007 12:47 PM

I'm here and it looks like a lot more than a few hundred to me! I'm 41 and this is my first protest. We brought our 13 year old daughter with us.

Posted by: carol Knox | September 15, 2007 1:22 PM

Carol, you will not be noticed. Marc and Aruna will focus on the bizarre and insist that the protests were rough equivalents in size and seriousness of message.

Posted by: Steve | September 15, 2007 1:36 PM

Isn't the Drop Bush deal an outgrowth, so to speak, of the group of ladies who have shaved their nether regions in protest?

Posted by: Bill Harrison | September 15, 2007 5:02 PM