Print Columns   |   Web Chats   |   Blog Archives   |

Feasty Boys: No More Frying In A Backyard Vat

More than seven years ago, in the early months of my columnizing, I visited two guys from Annapolis who were, remarkably enough, becoming a hit on a local cable access channel in Anne Arundel County. Jon Mayer and Jim Stump were clearly not ready for prime time, but as the Feasty Boys, two hefty gents who knew there was honor and magic in frying a huge turkey in a massive vat of oil out in the yard, they showed enormous promise.

Consider that promise fulfilled. The boys debuted this week with their own show on The Travel Channel, "The Feasty Boys Eat America." WIth a big TV budget, the guys are far from the backyard and home kitchen where I visited them, and they're not cooking Chicken Miata anymore, either--a lovely, delicate dish in which you tenderize the meat by wrapping it well, placing it on the driveway and running it over with a Mazda Miata.

Rather, the guys learn about chilis in New Mexico, work the cranberry bogs in Massachusetts, and come home to Maryland to travel the Chesapeake with a crab man.

Hey, we all have to head uptown now and then. But I feel secure in saying that while the Feasty Boys may no longer be cablecast on the channel that carries the zoning board hearings, they will nonetheless stay true to their core religious belief--that there is no food, none, that cannot be improved with a generous layer of cheese, topped off with a dollop of butter to promote browning.

By Marc Fisher |  January 17, 2008; 3:03 PM ET
Previous: Four Deaths and Words, Words, Words | Next: D.C. School Closings: The Hearings

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Them Feasty Boys is fat!

Posted by: Anonymous | January 18, 2008 12:22 PM

Taking bets on who dies first of a heart attack...

Posted by: Bob | January 18, 2008 8:27 PM

Celebrating fine meals and recipes is one thing...celebrating gluttony is another. One is tasteful and the other is obviously tasteless.

Posted by: Jay | January 18, 2008 8:28 PM

Who doesn't know you can make any food taste better by adding lots of butter fat? Watching these obese fools is no more appealing than watching nonstop Hardees commercials.

Posted by: Captain Obvious | January 18, 2008 8:31 PM

In conforming with the "rules of commenting", I will analyze, review, and comment on this one.
I think this article is saying these guys are so good for television, and that being fat is good as well. I think this article should be blasting the feasty boys for promoting unhealthy dietary habits. Basically the only way to have a true article about the feasty boys is to make it completely oopposite of the one written above. This show is basically made to appease the lowest oommon denominator of the population.

Posted by: AleBru | January 24, 2008 10:36 PM

Hold on to your whole foods, The Travel Channel has hit a Grand Slam Breakfast from Denny's with this one!

I thought the show was a breath of fresh air compared to most cooking shows out there. Two fat guys cooking unpretentious food on a $400 grill is way more appealing than these huge productions with $100k kitchens and ingredients that can't be found at the local grocer. I also think that the target market for this show is huge. Now it may be the same audience that made the Blue Collar Comedy Tour as famous as it was, and I wouldn't consider that group to be the lowest rung of our society.

Posted by: emalexa | January 24, 2008 11:56 PM

The power of a 30 second TV spot! During the first 5 seconds, I thought that I was some kind of a joke until; they showed the airing times! Coming soon to the unemployment line near you: TV Executives from the Travel Channel. Wait, unless this is some kind of strategic marketing partnership between, drug companies and the Travel Channel to specifically target potential or existing costumers with heart conditions or related illnesses. I can't seem to find a possible justification or need for such garbage. Lowest Common Denominator is a compliment. For those of you that found something good about this "program"; don't ever fear unemployment, there is always a demand for such intuitive and intelligent talent like your kind.

Posted by: elito | January 25, 2008 3:10 PM

With all the garbage on TV and people are complaining about this show? I just checked foodnetwork.com's top 10 recipes this week and they include cheesy baked tortellini, grown up mac and cheese, Elvis' gooey butter cakes, pot roast, and kentucky pie! With many upscale restaurants crossing over to the now chic, home cooked comfort foods, I think Travel Network's timing is right on. By the way, Using the term Lowest Common Denominator doesn't make sense because it would technically mean that everyone in society as a whole posesses, at least, that same trait. Maybe you should consider them a prime factorization of society.

Posted by: raulmundi | January 25, 2008 4:27 PM

the show is amateur-enough said

Posted by: a reader | February 1, 2008 11:08 AM

I love these guys. Don't get me wrong, I know there is heart disease there, and possible type II diabetes, but they are hilarious. They are hilarious mostly because of how much they eat and drink. I think it's crazy. Who knows, maybe I will even try some of their recipes. Rock on Fiesty boys.

Posted by: starski | February 1, 2008 9:06 PM

TO ALL THE CRITICS THAT WHINE ABOUT HEALTH ISSUES,SHUT UP. THE SHOW IS FUNNY,ENTERTAINING AND IF THE FEASTY BOY DON'T WANT TO WATCH THEIR CALORIES THAT IS THEIR WORRY NOT YOURS. GET A LIFE!

Posted by: smart guy | February 13, 2008 1:38 PM