Print Columns   |   Web Chats   |   Blog Archives   |

Bye Bye Classic Rock (Again)

This time, it's for real. Classic rock will disappear from FM radio in Washington next Monday, to be replaced by a soft pop format designed to win listeners in one of the few places where broadcast radio remains strong--at the office.

The new 94.7 Fresh FM will feature music by the likes of Jason Mraz, Third Eye Blind, Leona Lewis, Coldplay, Gwen Stefani and John Mayer--a mix intended to compete with 97.1 WASH-FM's soft rock sound, capturing a somewhat younger audience than that station by excluding what Fresh's promotional materials call "washed-up old slow songs."

Two years ago, CBS Radio rebranded its classic rock station at 94.7 FM from The Arrow to The Globe, promising an alternative rock sound reminiscent of the legendary 1980s rocker, WHFS. But in short order, 94.7 returned to its classic rock roots, playing the big rock hits of the 60s and 70s with a mix of more recent music of the same ilk. Now, that music will be relegated to a channel on HD radio, the sub-channels that are available only to the very few consumers who have bothered to go out and buy special radios that receive the extra channels hidden on the FM band.

The demise of Classic Rock 94.7 means the end of the FM road for voices that have accompanied Washingtonians to and from work for decades, such as Cerphe Colwell, who has been a mainstay of D.C. radio since he started on the old WHFS in 1972.

Facing the same audience and advertising challenges that have thrown all old media into an existential panic, radio companies are searching for ways to capture audiences where the Internet doesn't yet dominate. For radio, that means in the car and at offices where music plays for all to hear (think doctors' waiting rooms, auto repair shops, eateries, etc.) WASH's bland but palatable blend of soft rock is often the compromise choice in workplaces where it can be hard to get all employees to agree on a station that doesn't make at least some people gag.

Now CBS wants a piece of that action, and its Fresh format, which debuted in New York City two years ago, is its vehicle. The idea is to avoid the 70s disco and soul-tinged tunes that have come to be a big part of the sound on soft rockers such as WASH-FM, instead focusing on soft and contemporary hits.

What does that mean? Here's a sample hour of music from New York's Fresh 102.7 this afternoon:

Sugar Ray--Every Morning
Gwen Stefani--The Sweet Escape
Kelly Clarkson--Walk Away
Chris Brown--With You
Savage Garden--Truly Madly Deeply
Howie Day--Collide
Spin Doctors--Two Princes
John Mayer--Waiting On The World To Change
Rihanna--Hate That I Love You
Mr. Big--To Be With You

So there's a strong Top 40 element, but only on the very softest side of Top 40. No rap, no dance hits. The promos for the new station in Washington promise that the outlet will "say goodbye to Top 40 repetition"--a pitch aiming at an older demographic than Top 40 draws.

Meanwhile, for a few more days, The Police and The Cars, Neil Young and the Stones and all the classic cuts from rock's heyday will continue to roll along on 94.7--and then the music that brought about FM's big splash into pop culture prominence in the 1970s will disappear from the FM band, probably forever. "In case you haven't heard, we're going to rock out this week," Cerphe told listeners this evening. Out being the operative word.

Will Fresh 94.7 make much noise? Hardly likely. Radio is rapidly vanishing from the consciousness of many teenage and very young listeners as a music source. So it makes sense that radio companies are looking to solidify their slightly older audiences while trying desperately to remain a major factor in the daily lives of folks in the heart of the 18-49 age group.

Sadly, formats like Fresh are just one more cynical attempt to win an audience on the cheap, presenting music that's easily available on the web, without spending the money it would take to offer listeners programming that's smart, local and distinctive.

By Marc Fisher |  March 30, 2009; 5:24 PM ET
Previous: Binary Man: Wipe Out D.C. Emancipation Day? | Next: Why It's Legal To Buy Gas & A Soda On I-95 In Md., But Not In Va.

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Why can't a station like Annapolis' WRNR exist in DC? Has a great and diverse mix of old and new indie/alternative/classic rock. I just wished their signal went a few more miles. Sigh...

Posted by: Snapper24 | March 30, 2009 6:32 PM

Reason number 132 for me to move from the Washington area. I love classic rock. But truth be told, I'm a terrible advertising demographic. Plus I take metro so I hardly ever have the opportunity to listen to the radio. Oh well. I'll stick with my ipod or internet radio at work. There's a frederic or baltimore classic rock you can pick up in the maryland suburbs.

Posted by: cliffmerrell | March 30, 2009 6:39 PM

"The Switch and Bait!"

"So, how many classical KVOD listeners are going to heed his advice '... not to run out and buy an HD Radio thinking that will fix things,' and '... to encourage them to stop donations to Colorado Public Radio until this situation improves?' Makes you wonder why didn't Colorado Public Radio executives just come clean with listeners in the first place? Instead, they hoped to persuade you with wiggly advice like this."

Where's Rob? LOL! In HD Radio-terms, this is referred to as the switch-and-bait! Failed formats are banished to radio-neverland, where very, very few are listening with cheesy, deaf HD radios. Those "secret" HD Radio channels, if they ever get any listeners, will fragment the listener audience, thus diminishing the value of the main analog channels - but, Bob Struble will never tell you that fact. Plus, the HD Radio exciters are extremely unreliable, thus constant attention is given just to keep the channels on-air, for those few stations that really care about this farce:

Posted by: sidwellfriends | March 30, 2009 6:52 PM

"Want to Kill HD Radio?"

"Let’s say that radio companies have to start paying royalties on the music that they play. Even if it is a flat percentage of all revenue like other outlets are going to be charged, HD Radio streams would do nothing more than serve to drive up royalty payments for NAB members. The overwhelming majority of terrestrial listeners ARE NOT listening to HD Radio. Ads on HD Radio will be dirt cheap for a very long time. The HD streams may not be able to cover royalty on music from ad revenues. Do you think that Clear Channel will continue to pump money in to HD Radio equipment, expanding services and coverage if the payoff in the end is an INCREASE in copyright royalties and nothing more?"

One other thing - if the RIAA gets its way with the performance royalty payments for over-the-air broadcasters, expect the FMs to flip to news/talk/sports formats, and kiss HD Radio good-bye!

Posted by: sidwellfriends | March 30, 2009 6:56 PM

I grew up in the DC area and it makes me sad to see radio (as we use to know it) fade away. I live in the city so I listen to my i-pod when I walk to work and listen to internet radio at work, but whenever I jumped into the car I knew that I could get a good variety of classic rock and other genres. Now it's all so bland and just like the printed newspaper seems to be a dying relic of years gone by.

Posted by: azteejay | March 30, 2009 6:56 PM

Nooooooooo! What will I do in the afternoon without Cerphe? And who will play music for people in their 50's who aren't dead yet?

Posted by: fmjk | March 30, 2009 7:00 PM

Ugh. I actually like 97.1 and 100.3 type soft rock, but they're almost undistinguishable as-is, so why bother to add yet another one?

Posted by: cpwdc | March 30, 2009 7:10 PM

No more Stones? No more Led Zeppelin? I'll have to start remembering to bring CDs with me to play in the car. I can't drive without good rock.

I have to admit, though, that in recent months 94.7 had begun replaying a lot of the same stuff over and over. It was becoming mildly irritating.

Heh... I like that, fmjk. "..music for people in their 50's who aren't dead yet". That's me, too, I guess!

Posted by: RebeccaHartong | March 30, 2009 7:16 PM

Ahhh! I heard a rumor that this was coming, but it was months ago so I thought to myself, "thank goodness it wasn't true." Guess it is. When is DC going to explore culture and keep some music variety? For a diverse of an area as DC is I would think it would be pouring out of the airwaves. Yet we're being bombarded with commercial banalities in an already monotonous, socially stagnant town. Can someone please call the culture cops? I'm being robbed!

Posted by: candydeneen | March 30, 2009 7:17 PM

I guess i'll just buy another satelite radio. Goodbye old friend

Posted by: Medfarr1 | March 30, 2009 7:22 PM

Who is really upset about this? The classic rock format is a tired, tired format with a rotation of about 200 songs. A classic rock station in Utah is playing the same tired songs playing on a classic rock station in New Hampshire. Want to make your own classic rock station? Buy ten 'best rock of the 70's' cds for $3.50 a pop and listen to them ad nausem. Soft rock is awful, but only slightly more awful than another tired classic rock station. Teh innernets killed the radio stars. MTV killed the video star.

Posted by: robgoose | March 30, 2009 7:35 PM

Let's give WRNR enough money so that they can broadcast farther than their measly range now. WHFS used to be the best radio station in the world. Honest. There was none better. Cerph, Damian, John Hall, Weasle. None better.

WRNR is close and needs our support. Radio today, with this exception, is corporate crapola.

Posted by: larmoecurl | March 30, 2009 7:35 PM

For individuals who prefer unique, eclectic music, turn to WPFW 89.3 FM. They play a wide array of music including: jazz, blues, folk, soul, tropicalia, and various types of international music. Also, WPFW is a listener-supported station, thus sparing you the obnoxious advertisements and corporate playlists.

Posted by: sapito1 | March 30, 2009 7:46 PM

"And who will play music for people in their 50's who aren't dead yet?"

"No more Stones? No more Led Zeppelin?"

Well, you all could do what I did a little while ago, and buy a HD-compatible radio. Yes, it's an extra expense, but the music you miss will still be playing, as I understand it, and you can listen to it if you want.

Posted by: yrral | March 30, 2009 7:51 PM

I miss the old WHFS (pre-Spanish format).

Why put on what can be streamed from the internet, satellite, or on an iPhone?

I guess localism is an old-fashioned concept. Could it be the future? Again?

Posted by: Bitter_Bill | March 30, 2009 7:59 PM

Radio is dead. Nobody actively seeks out any of the local radio stations because they "like" them. They usually end up listening to a radio because they don't have their iPod, phone, laptop, or other mobile personal music device handy.

Blame the telecommunications act of 1996. It resulted in the mass consolidation of radio stations, which allowed companies like Clear Channel to homogenize the playlists of every market in the country and make them sound exactly the same - bland, boring, and repetitive. Even if you really LOVE a song, if you hear it every 3 hours, it kind of starts to lose its luster after a few days. The consolidation and idiotic corporate programming alienated huge numbers of music fans at exactly the same time that new mobile devices were being introduced that basically revolutionized the entire music industry.

Radio is dead. Changing formats will not save them, it's a temporary boost at best but in the long run the audience is not going to grow. As more vehicles come with Sat radio and iPod jacks, there is little reason for anyone to tune in for 30 minutes of commercials each hour followed by the same Coldplay song repeated ad-nausem.

Radio is dead and it deserves to die. Good riddance.

Posted by: ABHFGTY | March 30, 2009 8:05 PM

last year, a friend of mine started calling 94.7 the "all tom petty, all the time" station. and in truth, that is sort of what it had become. it was a far cry from the rebirth of the globe as a station that played relatively new stuff (like death cab for cutie, for example) along side classic rock along side 80s alternative. it was a fun mix, but it couldn't last. i knew when i started hearing 38 special that the station's days with any sort of interesting rock format were numbered.

i wonder where treasures like weasel and cerphe will go. i wonder also whether this might have had something to do with the personality schelby's disappearance months ago. (her lunchtime shows were absolutely fun and really engaged a lot of people.)

ah well. apparently, a boringly conservative company town like DC gets what it deserves. first, WHFS; now, 94.7. why can't we support a station that mixes up rock for a wide audience?

i think elvis costello put it best:
"radio is in the hands of such a lot of fools trying to anesthetize the way that you feel." apparently, CBS Radio wants us all to live up to the dull stereotype of washington.

where's pirate radio when you need it? sigh.

Posted by: wrekehavoc | March 30, 2009 8:11 PM

"will feature music by the likes of Jason Mraz"

If a guy listens to Jason Mraz and likes it, there is a real chance his "thing" will fall off. Or more likely, it will refuse to function any more.

Posted by: Ombudsman1 | March 30, 2009 8:30 PM

HD radio is not mentioned in this story at all.

Please disable this shill's account.

kthxbai

Posted by: bs2004 | March 30, 2009 8:50 PM

Amazon.com says "thank you" for this article. As soon as I read it, I finally purchased the Roku Soundbridge. It allows streaming of internet radio to the stereo. WXPN, Minnesota Public Radio, WFUV and way more. " Cynical attempt to win an audience on the cheap" is a perfect description of this change to 94.7. Right now, on MPR, I'm listening to "Cut Off Your Hands - Turn Cold." Not great, but I've never heard it before.

Posted by: fayhershey1 | March 30, 2009 9:01 PM

Over-the-air radio certainly is dying, but radio itself isn't dead. It's alive and well in a new home. For more and more people like me the Internet IS radio. I have my choice of more radio stations around the world than I can count, any and all formats, anytime and all the time. My 4/1 speaker system connected to my high quality sound card in my computer is ALMOST as good as my old stereo system was. And if I were willing to pay for satellite radio, I could take much of it with me in the car.

Posted by: RAB2 | March 30, 2009 9:01 PM

This area has the worst radio choices of any city I have lived in.

Posted by: reiflame1 | March 30, 2009 9:05 PM

*note to self

Remove 94.7 from car stereo preset buttons

Posted by: wiz_fan | March 30, 2009 9:14 PM

If you believe the radio ads (I listen to a station called Dave from Atlanta) 90% of the population listens to the radio at some point during the day.

So I don't think it's dead.

But I quit listening to 94.7 when they switched off Alternative.

Posted by: RedBird27 | March 30, 2009 9:19 PM

BARF!!! DC is a cultural wasteland. Granted, I may survive this in time, but to first do away with Smooth Jazz 105.9, and then to switch one of the few decent stations left to top 40 vomit induction, that can only be called shameful. In spite of a few examples of truly relevant culture, DC is a homogeneous land of normal. I will continue to enjoy WAMU and WHUR in righteous defiance.

Posted by: dokbionic | March 30, 2009 9:21 PM

I'm going to miss the likes of Cerphe and Weasel, the DJs on 94.7 were the last real rock DJs in the area.

Posted by: jw703 | March 30, 2009 9:21 PM

If the old WHFS was around I might still be listening to terrestrial radio. Alas, it is not (even the last few years of it were a pale imitation of what larmoecurl called the best radio station in the world). Indeed it was. I guess terrestrial radio, like the daily newspaper is a thing of the past. I am thankful for my XM/Sirius, 'The Underground Garage' channel is as close as I have found to the old WHFS.

Posted by: oyvey | March 30, 2009 9:26 PM

I just hope XM/Sirius live on... I haven't listened to FM in more than three years, for just this reason. AND it's commercial free. AND NO I do not work for XM and/or Sirius.

Posted by: spf_zero | March 30, 2009 9:36 PM

"SidwellFriends is a consistent spammer who continuously spouts pre-packaged venom about HD radio. HD radio is not mentioned in this story at all. Please disable this shill's account.kthxbai

BUT:

"Now, that music will be relegated to a channel on HD radio, the sub-channels that are available only to the very few consumers who have bothered to go out and buy special radios that receive the extra channels hidden on the FM band."

You lose! Too bad you can't stand the truth about the HD Radio farce - perhaps, you work for iBiquity, HD Alliance, or the NAB. This article is of little consequence, now that I have gotten over 15,000 visitors to my blog over 9 months from 80 countries, to include most of the automakers, iBiquity investors, the FCC, the DOJ, Congress, Congressional Quarterly,
retailers, manufacturers, Canadian Broadcast Research, etc. Disabling my account won't help because I will just sign up with another bogus Yahoo mail account - LOL!

Posted by: sidwellfriends | March 30, 2009 9:38 PM

Radio around DC has not been the same for over 20 years since WGTB went away and WHFS left 102.3 FM. I still remember the static as the transmitter swithed off after Weasel spun/played The Velvet Underground's "After Hours."

'cause if you close the door
I'll never have to see the day again
I'll never have to see the day again
once more
I'll never have to see the day again

Posted by: TC14 | March 30, 2009 9:38 PM

I love my:

SIRIUS/XM SATELLITE RADIO!

The music channels have NO commercial interruptions, AT ALL!

Posted by: DudeCameron | March 30, 2009 9:54 PM

WHFS, Cerphe, Felix Grant, the obscure DJ's who provided a laugh or a great, creatively mixed set when I couldn't sleep...it was a magical experience growing up with local radio in this area. I hope satellite and internet radio are filling the void, because when I scan the FM and AM dials today, I just can't connect with the endless sports talk and limited play lists.

Posted by: ashboy | March 30, 2009 10:01 PM

I wonder if people near DC can hear the Classic Rock station, 106.9 MHz, "The Eagle" in Hagerstown?

Posted by: timekeepr | March 30, 2009 10:05 PM

I miss Jake Einstein. I bet Damian can save us. Or Weasel. Or not.

Posted by: dude11 | March 30, 2009 10:08 PM

When I was in high school here in the early to mid 70's, we listened to WHFS and WGTB. That is where I first heard of Roxy Music. I believe Cerphe (I always thought it was "Serf") was on something called the soft explosion near the right of the dial. He MC'd a few concerts back in the day.

At that time, we operated our own pirate radio station. My best friends big brother strung up a long antenna, designed a transmitter, and we "broadcast" locally in his neighborhood for a few days.

It felt so fun to be breaking the law. We watched out for the fabled government van with a strange antenna on the roof. Never knew if anyone was listening, never saw the van. Got tired of it and moved on after a couple of days.

I miss the old WHFS. I used to listen to the overnight show with Weasel. There was nothing else like it in the USA.

Posted by: johng1 | March 30, 2009 10:16 PM

ashboy, Felix Grant was far out man! He had about 20,000 or more albums. He introduced me to Django Rhinehardt (I have no idea how to spell that). Cool daddy. Another night time DJ I will never forget! Thanks for reminding me.

Posted by: johng1 | March 30, 2009 10:19 PM

it just hasn't been the same since Harv Moore, "the boy next door", left WPGC

Posted by: mtskins | March 30, 2009 10:32 PM

TC14 and ashboy, thanks for reminding me of the old WGTB-I use to listen to them back in 1967 (boy, am I old!) when they played an unknown guitarist named Jimi Hendrix. Later in the 1970's, they played stuff from the '50s at 4 AM every Friday morning. DC radio is pathetic.

Posted by: oyvey | March 30, 2009 10:35 PM

Does anyone remember WGTB - Good Times Broadcasting? Man those were the days. Because of that station, Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells became the theme song for The Exorcist. Well D.C. has had the worst radio stations for 20 years, who'd think it could get any worse than this. Even WPFW has lost fine personalities (greedy corporate board members trying to liquidate the Pacifica network). There's no end to it.

Posted by: usblues1 | March 30, 2009 10:37 PM

Is this really a surprise to anyone? Is there any 'format' out there that anybody really likes? Sure, I like Classic rock, but a 200 song playlist is simply not interesting. Why hasn't ClearChannel figured it out? Hire good DJs and let them run the show. Who is their audience? How can they wonder why they keep needing to change formats every year. There is great DJ talent in DC. I want to know what was in the 40,000+ albums that Cerphe picked out, that I never bought. DJs don't even select thier own music, no wonder it is a failure, it is big box radio.

Posted by: DCGoner | March 30, 2009 10:39 PM

I think stations should offer what people want -- I suppose Gwen S. and K Clarkson are what they want. It's all really really really really really really really really boring to me -- just about everything recorded in the last five years.

But I gotta admit, great as the 1965-75 age was, it's easy enough to have all those songs stored as mp3's and be tired of all the best ones.
WHY don't the new Beatles come along?

Posted by: kls1 | March 30, 2009 10:40 PM

Nooooooooo!

I've had 94.7 on my computer ever since I moved away from DC for college and thence across the country. This is a sad day.

Posted by: tfp_wnc | March 30, 2009 10:41 PM

I'm sad to see this happen. I am a relative late comer to the music scene. When I moved from DC to Alexandria almost a year ago now, I spent a lot of time in the car moving my stuff and I can safely say that my music tastes changed when I heard U2 "Pride" on 94.7. After that, I was curious to hear more about U2 and I think I heard about Coldplay on 94.7 as well and those two are now my favorite bands. If it wasn't for the classic rock format of 94.7, I would still be stuck in music limbo.

Posted by: HobbesLionheart | March 30, 2009 10:42 PM

Hello, the 70s are over.
Time to stick a fork in "classic" rock cause it's done, and has been for a long time.

Posted by: harryejones | March 30, 2009 10:52 PM

Harve Moore? You got to be kidding. Well, when I was a kid I listened to him (WPGC good guys, right?), the WEAM redcoats?, and Rockville's WINX at certain times of the day. After we got our first FM radio, I never went back!

Posted by: johng1 | March 30, 2009 10:53 PM

Whatever that dude never plays the Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin, Sweet, Boston, Zepplin, Hendrix .. Pink Floyd ....

Every time I turn it on it's AC/DC, Santana, Steve Miller Band or Bruce Springsteen.

Burn!

Posted by: sssquirrel | March 30, 2009 11:16 PM

Yeah, the 70's are dead. Going to trade my Marshall half stack for an I-pod. Can't wait for FRESH 94.7 - see their new website! Guess I can also replace my ear plugs with an air sickness bag.

Posted by: usblues1 | March 30, 2009 11:17 PM

I've had a hard time listening to 94.7 for a while now. I love classic rock, but it seems they didn't go very deep into classic rock. Sure, they'd play Lynyrd Skynrd, but only their top 5 songs. You could say the same things about Led Zeppelin, The Who, Rolling Stones, and go on.

Yes, I'd love to hear the Allman Brothers, but don't play Ramblin' man. Play Win, Lose or Draw. Play the Dead. Give me Eyes of the World or China Cat Sunflower. Not Truckin.

Classic rock can be successful if done right.

Posted by: BigBubba1 | March 30, 2009 11:22 PM

Noooooo!!!

Posted by: edwardbear76 | March 30, 2009 11:34 PM

it just hasn't been the same since Harv Moore, "the boy next door", left WPGC

Posted by: mtskins | March 30, 2009 10:32 PM

OMG! - I haven't thought about that wild man in years! That's back when he described morning traffic on New York Ave as "BTB". Didn't he run away with the redhead?

Anybody else remember him and the old WPGC?

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | March 30, 2009 11:34 PM

The two greatest stations were 93 KHJ on the AM band (Boss Radio - top 40 in the 60's, 70's and 80's and KRTH 101 (oldies 50's and 60's) on the FM band out of Los Angeles, 40 and 30 years ago, respectively.

When RKO sold-off their holdings, KHJ went Hablamos Espanol and KRTH was eventually acquired by CBS.

Every radio DJ in the 60's-70's always thought KHJ was the pinnacle of where you could go to. Then there is Rick Dees of KIIS fame. You probably saw him as the KFWB DJ in the film "La Bamba" and all of you babes watching the bartender on the soap, The Young & the Restless.

Well there is satellite radio, but it has it's limiations. Thank goodness for the internet and streaming radio.

KHJ may have ruled but KRTH ROCKS!!!

Posted by: Computer_Forensics_Expert_Computer_Expert_Witness | March 30, 2009 11:37 PM

GREAT We can't get enough of the same radio stations playing the same top 40 songs over and over and over again. God forbid they play a song that someone might not like. DC is a large city, so why can't there be more interesting stations out there like there are in richmond, or heck, even the NRV!!

Posted by: shadysadie44 | March 30, 2009 11:37 PM

The root of this problem is that there is a market of people who actually listen to these top 40 songs as if they have any redeemable musical value. Mr. Big? Really?

Posted by: braninc | March 30, 2009 11:38 PM

It is really disappointing to see these legendary stations disappear. First HFS, which had a short lived reemergence in the afternoons on 105.7, and now 94.7. As much as I love my iPod and am not going to pay for all the songs I used to be able to get on the radio for free. 94.7 will be sorely missed.

Posted by: NavyGuy10 | March 30, 2009 11:40 PM

Yeah, I don't need time magazine ... lol

Posted by: sssquirrel | March 30, 2009 11:41 PM

Wow.

All we will have remaining to us will be either WAMU ("on the Far Left of your Radio Dial!") or listening to insane people jabber on Local Talk Radio.

Adios, Cerphe...

Posted by: thardman | March 30, 2009 11:43 PM

Arrrr mateys. We are going to hide our transmitter in the National Christmas Tree but please don't tell anyone.

Posted by: usblues1 | March 31, 2009 12:05 AM

Computer_Forensics_etc., thanks for reminding me of my LA days in the 80's. Do you remember equis-te-ere-a... The Mighty Six-Ninety (XTRA 690)? and KROQ-Pasadena, and KLOS?

Time flies... sigh

Posted by: uprufssu | March 31, 2009 1:51 AM

So the only station other than 98 Rock that actually comes in on my home radio will soon be unlistenable. Great. Why doesn't CBS Radio just burn its HQ down? It would make them just as much money as this boring old concept and would probably be more enjoyable for the people who get to see it.

CBS Radio sucks. First HFS and now ARW/TGB. What do they have against real music?

Posted by: EricS2 | March 31, 2009 4:15 AM

An earlier post said it best. Turn the dial to 89.3 FM, on WPFW, and expand your musical horizons. . . commercial free. . .

Posted by: joelcavicchia | March 31, 2009 5:42 AM

94.7 is just returning to its original roots. Dont you all remember. Radio Margaritaville for me at least until XM/Sirius go into Chap 7.

Posted by: sheepherder | March 31, 2009 7:42 AM

DC radio seems positively wonderful after spending 5 years in rural America and only getting 2 FM station:

1. All country, all the time (Jesus, dogs,a nd pick-ups trucks, yeeeeeee haw!)
2. "Classic rock" that consisted of 3 Rush Songs, 2 Ozzy songs, 1 Joan Jett song, and a couple of Rolling Stones tunes thrown in for fun. Over and over and over.

All of it pumped in from some far locale in southern california. No local programming decisions, no local DJs, nothing.

Except on Thursdays, from 4-6, when Classic Rock went off the air for the local farm auction broadcast. I'm not kidding.

Posted by: RedBirdie | March 31, 2009 11:33 AM

I recognize not one song on that list. The very description of their new format does, indeed, make me gag already. They've lost one all-day office listener. I'm heading back to my CDs, BIG 103 and my portable player. The current format wasn't thriling anyway - the comments about repetitiveness are so very true. No more radio for those of us from the late 60's-early 70's. Suppose the radio owners think we are already dead?

Posted by: OldTimeRider | March 31, 2009 12:39 PM

If you want good music tune in to FM 105.9 the True Oldies Channel. Imus early in the morning until about 9am then great music all day long!! Good old Rock, Motown and much more. The only channel I listen to anymore!

Posted by: mplumer1 | March 31, 2009 1:50 PM

Four format changes in about two years. CBS Radio is dead to me.

Was lucky enough to pick up an XM Radio for $13 the last day Circuit City was open. Will be listening to XM and WPFW a lot more for my music fix.

Best of luck to WTGB's on-air staff, who according to dcrtv.com, will all be let go on Monday.

Posted by: jgh71 | March 31, 2009 2:56 PM

Will The Underground Garage still be broadcast on Sunday nights or will it have to flip to another station? DC101 maybe?

Posted by: rrno62 | March 31, 2009 4:04 PM

Actually listening to Little Steven's Underground Garage on Sirius XM right now.

Posted by: jgh71 | March 31, 2009 4:20 PM

Good grief. If only they had stuck with the original "Globe" concept, which was actually better than anything offered on satellite radio -- which, some people may have noticed, is rigidly split into little categories like "alternative, 1992-94."

100.3 isn't bad -- almost like classic rock lite. Aside from that, I like 92.5 just because it sounds local.

Posted by: BDVienna | March 31, 2009 6:57 PM

Yeah, guess that "Classic Rock" disappearing leaves mainly BIG 100.3 playing those pesky non-Classic Rockers like The Stones, Beatles, Eagles, Zeppelin, The Who, Elton, etc, etc.

Posted by: hammerjack12 | April 1, 2009 10:01 AM

The changeover doesn't bother me at all. I gave up on terrestrial radio a long time ago. In my car it's Sirius/XM (though the merger did kill some of my favorite stations). At work, its pandora.com.

If you haven't tried pandora, you should. It's part of the internet music project. You give it a list of artists you like and it plays those artists as well as songs from other artists which are similar in character to the ones you chose. I have made many new discoveries of artists I hadn't even heard of this way.

Posted by: VinceJr | April 1, 2009 11:09 AM

I was a 94.7 fan during the days of The Arrow and before, I hung in thru the first phase of The Globe and was happy when they reinvented The Globe back into a true Classic Rock station.

To Albie, Kelly, Marci, Cerphe and the rest of the 94.7 crew, I’ll miss your banter and great music selections. Best wishes for a great future.

Posted by: martysullivan | April 3, 2009 7:24 PM