Five for the Weekend
1) Not that it needs any more promotion, but the doubleheader on Saturday night at American's Bender Arena is near must-see for those wanting to see the area's elite players. The 7 p.m. game features No. 4 St. John's with All-Met guard Chris Wright (Georgetown) and forward Vlad Moldoveanu (George Mason) against The Sun's #2 team, Mount St. Joseph, led by forward Dino Gregory (Maryland) and junior center Henry Sims, whom Maryland is evaluating. At 9, it's No. 2 DeMatha, led by All-Met guard Austin Freeman (Georgetown) and a cast of others against The Sun's #1 team, Towson Catholic, led by center Donte Greene (Syracuse) and guard Malcolm Delaney (Virginia Tech). Tickets are $10.
2) When No. 1 Montrose Christian travels to No. 3 T.C. Williams for an 8 p.m. Saturday game, it will be the biggest local test of the season for the Mustangs. Maryland-bound guard Adrian Bowie delivered in Montrose's last big local game - anyone else remember the win over Oak Hill last March. This should be a chance to see how Bowie and fellow Terp recruit Shane Walker fare in another big game. For those looking ahead, the Montrose-Oak Hill rematch is set for Feb. 17 in Charlottesville. Edit: The game has been postponed, see post above.
3) It's the last weekend for seniors to take football official recruiting visits. Among others, All-Met LB Devonte Campbell of Forestville heads to Tennessee - though it seems likely he's bound for either Maryland or Illinois.
4) If you can't make the Saturday games at Bender, Wright faces another soon-to-be Georgetown teammate tonight when St. John's hosts No. 12 O'Connell, led by junior guard Jason Clark.
5) For those who are curious about St. Mary's Ryken forward John Flowers but don't want to make the trip to Leonardtown to see the West Virginia recruit, the Knights play at Paul VI Catholic tonight.
The comments to this entry are closed.