On Twitter: JoshBarr and AllMetSports  |  Facebook  |  E-mail alerts: Redskins and Sports  |  RSS

More on Mosley, Terps' Summer Run

The kind folks at The Sun look at Maryland's recruiting efforts now that Sean Mosley says he's ready to enlist. And the experts give the Terps a thumbs-up for their recent pickups.

Recruiting has been a strange thing in College Park. I was on the beat during the glory days and national championship and those were teams filled with the kind of players Gary Williams loves to coach: Hard workers with plenty of room to improve.

My standard line was that with one exception in five years, every scholarship player improved during his Maryland career, which I think has to be attributed to the coaching. Look at guys like Juan Dixon and Lonny Baxter. Steve Blake wasn't expected to be a standout, even though he was handed the keys to the team as a freshman. Chris Wilcox was expected to be good, but his improvement was considerable. Byron Mouton has half-crazy. But these were all guys with high basketball IQs. How many times could Baxter go right and use the glass against taller opponents?

Somehow, though, things went wrong after the national title. Some higher-profile recruits didn't work out. And instead of capitalizing on the national title, the Terps slipped when it came to recruiting. Georgetown's improvement under John Thompson III has made things harder in College Park these days.

Now, though, the Terrapins have made an impact. If their recruits can get things together academically - not always a guarantee - things look positive. Jennings is expected to be the kind of impact player that has arrived as a freshman at other schools. Mosley is considered solid. If Chris Turner joins the group, one assistant coach who had recruited him believes he, too, will make an immediate contribution.

Of course, there is no guarantee it all works out, but for the time being, the Terrapins seem to have plenty of momentum.

By Josh Barr  | August 16, 2007; 11:54 AM ET
Categories:  Basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Video Worth Watching Again (And Again)
Next: Kerns Joins Others at Hargrave

Comments

There is nothing positive about the basketball program at UMD: It is one of the worse in the ENTIRE USA in terms of graduation rate of its players. Coach Williams has been treated with kid gloves by journalists because he is perceived as a nice guy. But he is a fraud, who does not have his players' interests at heart. Anyone who sends his son to play for him and for his rogue program is a fool. Players have not improved under his tutelage, and most of them are illiterate. This is the true record of Williams, who exploited kids to a win a NCAA championship. Anyway, history will show that the Terps were the worse NCAA champions. There was nothing memorable about that team, or about the Final Four of that year. None whatsoever.

Posted by: bkkan2007 | August 21, 2007 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bkfan2007 | August 21, 2007 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I was censored for remarks I made about Coach Williams and the rogue program he runs. I'm not surprised.

Posted by: bkfan2007 | August 21, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps you were censored bkfan2007 because your accusations are completely baseless. You mention Maryland's graduation rate, but falsely state that it is the worst in the USA. While the graduation rate is nothing to write home about, it's in the middle of the pack when it comes to major conference basketball teams. If fact, Gary has recruited a number of players that have excelled academically including Obina Ekezie, Ikene Ebekwe, Will Bowers, Steve Blake, Mike Mardesech, and more.

The reason for the program's recent slide was probably because of that National Title and the flock of high-profile recruits that did not match Gary's tough-nosed coaching and playing style. Now that the team has its legs back under it with hard working, overachieving players, the Terps will make another run of consecutive tournament appearances.

Posted by: Steve P. | August 21, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Steve P, you can spin it anyway you want, but Coach Williams runs a rogue program.

Posted by: bkfan2007 | August 22, 2007 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Steve P you are exhibit A of what is wrong with the education dispensed by the university of Maryland at College Park: You can't read, or comprehend. I wrote: "the basketball program at UMD... is ONE of the worse in the ENTIRE USA in terms of graduation rate of its players;" and you wrote: bkfan2007 falsely "state[s] that it is the worst in the USA." Wow!!!!!

Posted by: bkfan2007 | August 23, 2007 10:53 AM | Report abuse

"the basketball program at UMD...is one of the worse (sic) in the entire USA..." Written by someone who disparages another person's education. That is the definition of irony.

Posted by: Freestater | August 24, 2007 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Freestater, there is a big difference between one who can't read, and one who had used the wrong word. There is an ocean of difference between Steve P, and Bkfan2007; which fact you, Freestater, have failed to see. This is the true definition of irony.

Posted by: Shouldwe | August 25, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Shouldwe, BK whatever your name is, I don't think you have a clue what the word irony means, if you had some idea of what it means you wouldn't have written what you did. There certainly is an "ocean" of difference between SteveP and you, although not in the manner you suspect. You have a lot of bitterness and hate in your heart. For some reason you have chosen to direct your hate at Gary Williams and the University of Maryland. Think about how sad it is that you are reading this blog and you see a story about Mosley committing to Maryland and you are so consumed by your hatred that you post a diatribe about Gary Williams and Maryland, not once, but twice. You also insult the parents of Mosley and every other kid who has gone to Maryland calling them fools. A normal person just doesn't do that kind of thing. I know you wouldn't say it to their faces, but you can hide behind your computer and say all manner of hateful things about them. That is cowardly and pathetic. Let go of the hate.

Posted by: Freestater | August 25, 2007 2:07 PM | Report abuse

I am not Bkfan2007, and I resent the fact that you launched a diatribe against me for simply pointing out the difference between Steve P and bkfan2007. You are also a cowardly and pathetic person because you, too, are hiding behind your computer and lashing out at people, bkfan2007, and myself. By the way, I had no intention of going this way, but since your impugned my character, I will: How can you defend Williams, who has exploited young athletes (I does not recruit student-athletes) to win a NCAA crown? I am not basing this evaluation on subjective criteria but on the graduation rate of Williams' program. I want you to know that I do not give a damn about the players that Williams recruits because UMD is not a rival of the school I attend. For your information, my school recruits better players (and they are student-athletes in the true sense of the word) even though it is an elite academic institution. Sic transit gloria mundi.

Posted by: Shouldwe | August 25, 2007 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I am not Bkfan2007, and I resent the fact that you launched a diatribe against me for simply pointing out the difference between Steve P and bkfan2007. You are also a cowardly and pathetic person because you, too, are hiding behind your computer and lashing out at people, bkfan2007, and myself. By the way, I had no intention of going this way, but since your impugned my character, I will: How can you defend Williams, who has exploited young athletes (He does not in fact recruit student-athletes) to win a NCAA crown? I am not basing this evaluation on subjective criteria but on the graduation rate of Williams' program. I want you to know that I do not give a damn about the players that Williams recruits because UMD is not a rival of the school I attend. For your information, my school recruits better players (and they are student-athletes in the true sense of the word) even though it is an elite academic institution. Sic transit gloria mundi

Posted by: Shouldwe | August 25, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

LOL, you just proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are the same person. Let go of the hate.

Posted by: Freestater | August 25, 2007 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Well, then you are a moron. And I am putting an end to this senseless exchange, because you have failed to rise to the occasion, and enlighten me as to why you defend Williams despite his record.

Posted by: Shouldwe | August 25, 2007 9:35 PM | Report abuse

BK2007 - what college program is not a rogue program by your definition. there are programs that have not graduated 10 kids in the coaches 10-year tenure. I am a MD fan. i think the state of college basketball is the issue more so than just that one team or coach. BTW, are you mad cause Wms boned your girl? I heard Gary still gets the youngin's.

Posted by: What! | August 27, 2007 5:32 PM | Report abuse