On Twitter: JoshBarr and AllMetSports  |  Facebook  |  E-mail alerts: Redskins and Sports  |  RSS

Will Boobirds Cast Terps in a Negative Light?

I'm curious what folks think of this. After all that was made of the decision to start Jordan Steffy ahead of Chris Turner and whether it would impact the Terps' recruiting efforts, I have to say I think a far bigger detriment will be the way fans jumped all over Steffy during Saturday's 14-7 win over Delaware.

I wasn't there and only saw parts of the second half on TV, but spoke with several folks who were there, including one who said the fans in front of him were screaming and booing Steffy from the opening series. Gotta say, if I'm a recruit at the game, I can't much like the way some fans were booing the home team/players relentlessly. While it is way overblown, I still think players are at least a little influenced by their trips to campus/games and can't see this helping Maryland.

Thoughts?

By Josh Barr  | September 2, 2008; 1:19 PM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: New TV Deal to Impact Recruiting in the SEC?
Next: Coach Makes Promise, Recruit Fumbles

Comments

Agree although I wasn't at the game either. On the bright side, atleast there is passion in the stands and not silent indifference which I think would be more of a "put off" for a recruit visiting.

Posted by: Jamie | September 2, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I was at the game and I think the booing was as much, if not more, toward Fridge as Steffy. People tailgating were really upset at how the coach handled the whole QB situation. Right up until he named Steffy, he said things were too close and no one stood out. He makes his announcement and all of a sudden Steffy was by far the best in Spring and Fall. A good number of us have lost faith and respect for Ralph with the way he has coached this program.

Posted by: Mike | September 2, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Some of this has to be chalked up to the nasty atmosphere the pervades at most Maryland men's sports events. Their are huge numbers of fickle fans at both home basketball and football matches and they are drawn both from the student body and the surrounding community.

The culture in College Park is indefensible; who goes to college sports games to boo uncompensated student athletes?

Posted by: TerpNeighbor | September 2, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

I was at the game. I heard it and thought it was poor taste.These kids are not getting paid and good or bad are playing hard for their school.Coach gave his reasons, if they kept those kind of stats, then it was a valid choice. It speaks poorly of our school. I do think it could reflect poorly on recruits. Support your team in public. keep your comments for afterwards and in small circles.

Posted by: Jerry | September 3, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Friedgen's comments on the booing - that the fans can boo him instead of booing Steffy. And that many of those booing would love for their children to grow up to be like Jordan Steffy. I was at the game and the boos did not help. Turner was also poor in a weak passing system.

Friedgen botched the QB situation this spring and summer, no doubt. And his (and James Franklin's) passing game is hovering around service academy level at the moment.

Steffy should be a respected veteran back-up this season. With Turner running the offense and Portis used in brief stints (please add more than shotgun draw to that package).

Posted by: Kev | September 3, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Fans are tired for the way Fridge handled this QB situation from the start. the bs on the team vote; to the close competition then the new offense. Fridge deserves the boos and he will continue to get them by the attendees until he gets it.

Posted by: jack | September 3, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Final Score this coming Saturday:

Middle Tennessee State -- 31
Maryland -- 17

Maryland will finish with a 4-8 record (good for last place in the ACC - even behind Duke)

I am glad that Maryland is no longer recruiting Tavon Austin.

Jelani Jenkins will not be attending Maryland

Posted by: gary | September 3, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

MD fans are fickle and probably the worst fans in the ACC as a whole. But, no way MD finishes 4-8.

Posted by: Terpfan | September 4, 2008 7:09 AM | Report abuse

It's funny..I have been to games all over the country and for some reason locals think MD fans are abnormal. Seems to me I remember Gator fans booing Chris Leak, the same guy who won the a Nat title. Seminole fans regularly boo their players. Ohio State coaches have been ragged in the past for only winning nine games. It happens everywhere and unfortunately there are a few of these jerks in Byrd on Sats. It's not about MD fans in general it's about every school having a a few immature people who are so insecure in their own lives that they take out their frustration on a young man. They exist everywhere.

Posted by: Testudo84 | September 4, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse