On Twitter: JoshBarr and AllMetSports  |  Facebook  |  E-mail alerts: Redskins and Sports  |  RSS

Auburn Cans OC; Cotton Back on the Market?

Colleague Katie Carrera passes along this item on Auburn recruit Ray Cotton. The Meade quarterback picked the Tigers in part because of offensive coordinator Tony Franklin, who this week was fired:

Raymond Cotton Sr. said his son Ray was "rather shocked" when he found out that Auburn had decided to fire Franklin.

"Coach Franklin played a big part of the reason he committed to Auburn," Raymond Sr. said. "But he wasn't the sole reason. We're trying to keep him focused on his game this Friday and then we'll sit down as a family and discuss all of his options."

Raymond Sr. said Cotton plans to make a formal statement announcing whether he will maintain his verbal commitment to Auburn or reopen his recruiting on Sunday, after discussing the school's dedication to him with the Tigers' coaching staff. Franklin brought a spread offense to Auburn that while unsuccessful through six games this season, enticed many of the Tigers' recruits as well as Cotton.

"The decision is his," Raymond Sr. said. "We just want to provide him with everything he needs to make an informed decision. He's friends with the rest of their recruiting class and they've all been texting each other. They seem to be waiting to see what he's going to do."

By Josh Barr  | October 10, 2008; 9:28 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Small Forward Picks Navy
Next: Not Your Typical Recruiting Story

Comments

Ray Cotton should select the University of North Carolina - Go Tar Heels !

Posted by: Gary | October 10, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

The first punch...the hiring of Saban. The then 5 straight loses to Auburn resulted in a 32 million dollar solution. Hype was created at Alabama, and when you couple that with immediate playing time you sway young minds. The result was the #1 class in the nation.

Counter Punch...Auburn hires tony franklin to ignite the offense. A specticle was created and 26 early commits jump on board including raymond cotton. As it turns out the Franklin hire was a bust. Franklin's offense was just a little bit too new wave for Auburn's identity. Auburn needed a suttle change, a spark in the offense, not an inferno. Tubberville has taken a step back and realized that it is time to turn the counter punch into a combination by hiring the right fit for Auburn's new identity as offensive coordinator. A successful combination will result in a knock out. A missed punch will likely result in tommy losing his job. Tommy knows this and is regaining control. There is a place for Cotton in the new/old Auburn offense, I just hope we can sell him on that idea. Remeber how awful the 2003 season was? Remember what happened in 2004? WAR EAGLE

Posted by: Plainsman04 | October 10, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

If Cotton goes to AU, he will be better prepared for the NFL. Just ask Jason Campbell. If he goes elsewhere, he may have inflated stats, but not be a better football player.

Posted by: Jmc | October 10, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell was coached by Al Borges which Tubby fired remember! Ray go somewhere that is not in turmoil!Tubby's job is on the line you don't want to be caught up in that mess!

Posted by: Bama Boy | October 10, 2008 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Stay at AU cotton. We are still running spread and Tuberville will hire a great OC that probably will run the spread offense. Auburn has had sucessful qbs like Patrick Nix, Patrick Sullivan, Jason Campbell ect. War Eagle stay with AU Cotton

Posted by: Anonymous | October 10, 2008 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Take no advice from anyone named "Bamaboy" or "Bamaanything" Nobody should commit to a school based on one coach. Tenures can be short in college and Pro Football. Its part of the game, nothing unique to Auburn thats for sure. Saban has gone through several assistants in one year and they jumped ship for lesser jobs. They just couldnt stand the little freak.

Posted by: JO | October 10, 2008 11:21 PM | Report abuse

11 Coordinators in 10 seasons, two fired and still on the payroll, and you want this kid to believe that another "quality" coordinator is coming to work for Tubbs?

Posted by: tiderollsga | October 10, 2008 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Auburn University is bigger than any one individual. The Cotton family needs to decide what is best for their son Ray and then commit to seeing it through. Quite frankly, I rather not see a kid put on the AU uniform unless he knows in his heart that his life is going to be better, because he dedicated himself to being the best person he can be on and off the playing field.

Life is full of changes. The greatest talent in the world will not prevent a season or potentially career ending injury. Therefore, he ought to know that it is not about this coach or that coach, but the whole experience as a student athlete with a desire to succeed as an individual as well as giving his team all he has to offer in order to achieve their collective goals and objectives.

War Eagle! to all who know and love the Auburn spirit.

Posted by: AU81Grad | October 11, 2008 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Wow, First of all at Alabama their TE and STs coach Ron Middleton went to Duke because he was friends with Coach Cut and coached with him at Ole Miss not because he couldn't stand Nick Saban. And Major Applewhite was in over his head as an OC and Alabama let him go without all the bad publicity firing the guy would have done for him and Alabama. Texas had a position open and I'm sure that was worked out because beleive me Applewhite grew up an Alabama fan and I'm sure he loved the experience he got while he was there but face it, he was in over his head and Saban made the needed adjustment by going out and finding a better fit as you can clearly see with this seasons team. They didn't fire Major and make a panic hire like Auburn seemed to do. Nick Saban and the staff he hired are great recruiters and they work hard and that's how they got the number 1 class last year and are currently ranked #2 in the nation with probably another top 5 class coming. Not because of a name and open roster spots for easy playing time. How many freshman start there anyway? 2? Julio Jones and Hightower. Mark Ingram is in a back up role but he could probably start at a lot of places. Look at what Saban did for LSU. The guy can recruit plain and simple and he hires guys around him that are great recruiters and coach's. He doesn't throw his coordinators under the bus and make a specticle out of it like Tubberville seems to have done lately. I read today that Auburn has had 6 Offensive Coordinators the past 10 years and 3 of your best coach's split town before Tubbs tried to blame losing games on them to save his own. Funny both D-Coordinators went to Texas and well we all know what happened with Petrino. Auburn messed up by firing Borges IMO but you can put all the spin on it you want but this does NOT look good for Auburn right now and it's going to be hard to find another OC willing to take the job without being able to know he has full control over what he's doing and let him bring some assistants along who actually know how to run the spread. If Tubbs would have done that then Franklin would have probably worked out a good deal better don't you think? So Tubbs fires Tony Franklin and blames it all on him and says the players are confused and don't like the offense while at the same time saying on ESPN we're going to stick with the spread and the kids love it and seem to be getting better at it. Which is it? By the way if Cotton was smart he should go somewhere else because Auburn might be in a funk for a while and it's like they put themselves on probation if you ask me. And I know you're going to think I'm an Alabama fan because I'm talking bad about Auburn but I'm not. I'm just a fan of football. By the way speaking of Jason Campbell being a Redskins fan and all...I wish we wouldn't have wasted a first round pick on that guy and I think Colt Brennan is going to take that guys job away sooner rather than later. Oh and one more thing, It's not like Alabama did anything that no other major football school isn't doing. He's not even the highest paid coach in college football..I think he's behind guys like Carroll,Stoops,Weis and Miles with payroll and maybe behind some other guys too. The coach at Iowa was making some serious cash I know. Saban took a pay cut to leave the Dolphins for Alabama and has taken that team from Mike Shula and being nothing to being #2 in the nation in less than two years and has Alabama in it for about every major prospect coming out of highschool recruiting wise he wants (not saying he will get them all) but don't you think what Alabama did was worth it? right now I would rather be in Bama's shoes than Auburns. I'm picking Arky for tommorow over Auburn and their TE coach now their OC. Spin it how you must. Hey Cotton, speaking of open QB spots and early playing time I bet UVA needs a good QB and they might actually care about giving you a good education while you're there. hehe

Posted by: SoCal. | October 11, 2008 12:27 AM | Report abuse

socal, what the F*** do you and your west coast brats know about football in the south. especially about education at Auburn for example. why dont you do us all a favor and mind your own business

Posted by: rammerjammer | October 11, 2008 1:57 AM | Report abuse

SoCal...You are clueless and check your sources before you post stuff. It goes to show you know nothing about the SEC and what goes on with football programs in the south. Both Alabama and Auburn are top public universities. Judging by your comments, you did well to attend a community college yourself.

Posted by: wareagle02 | October 11, 2008 2:07 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't go to AU. They've already got a huge stable of QB's as it is. He would have to compete with a bunch of guys for the position to play. He needs to go to a school that has had success with the spread offense and doesn't have corrupted coaches. I think an ideal fit for Cotton would be Florida, USF, Troy, or GT.

Posted by: Keigh | October 11, 2008 3:28 AM | Report abuse

Hey Raymond,Call Deron Furr who committed to the barn last year as a QB and was promised a shot at QB and was a DB before the season started. Not to mention he got jumped by his own team mates for not hustling I believe and ended up transfering to Memphis(the guys were teaching him a lesson I hear). That's just one incident that's happened at your school this year. Trust me I live in the south, I know plenty about SEC football. What exactly did I post that was wrong in my ramble before? By the way it was a joke about the school thing. Didn't you watch gameday last week when Vandy put the smack down? Signs about how Auburn players couldnt read and all that good stuff. And my source for the 6 OCs in 10 years came from the Anniston star. Even someone above said something about 11 Coordinators in 10 years. I know "Ensfinger" used to be a OC but not a good one apparantly since he was coaching WR's this year up until you guys told the guru to "get lost". By the way I love the class your rivals board has by filming the guy packing his stuff and asking him messed up questions like what was his favorite part about being at Auburn. By the way I'm not even talking about Auburn fans or the school. I'm pretty much talking about the football team and staff in particular. Auburn fans were ashamed that video was on the rivals.com page and demanded it to be taken down but the mods refused to do it. What's up with that? (My "name" has nothing to do with living or being from California because I was born in Virginia and live in Alabama) And I'm not a Southern Cal fan either. And as for minding my own business... Is what this kid chooses ANY of our business? I think not. I just like getting you barners all jacked up over nothing.

Posted by: SoCal. | October 11, 2008 6:20 AM | Report abuse

Mooo... Stable of QBs? Kodi Burns and Dead arm Todd are all you've got and neither one of them can do two things. Kodi runs and Todd well, I guess he throws.

I wouldn't go to AU because they tell you that you can play QB but then put you at another position and then kick your A if you're not exactly thrilled about the switch. Now Memphis is a nice spot!

Posted by: Deron Furr QB | October 11, 2008 6:29 AM | Report abuse

auburn still suxs the big one

Posted by: Anonymous | October 11, 2008 6:40 AM | Report abuse

War Eagle, we will circle the wagons auburn is going to be fine may struggle a bit but in the end its only a game being played by kids let them have fun don't be a fool and let CF consume your life be a parent, friend,son,daughter, whatever. Enjoy. Relax. Dream.

Posted by: 7thcav1st | October 11, 2008 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Go to AU Cotton you'll make a great DB there,until fall camp when a whole group of roid raging upperclassmen lay the wood to you. CALL Deron Furr before you make decision coach TT lies about what position you'll play on a regular basis, and your only ally that could help you stay at QB is gone.

Posted by: anonymous | October 11, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

1. SoCal, You are a BAMMER. Your analysis and your composition skills (the lack thereof) are enough to expose that you are a bammer redneck. Please stop disgracing yourself, it's getting ugly.

2. The rest of the bammers: You are scared that Ray Cotton will come to Auburn, and whup your tails. You guys are making Bama look pretty bad by posting on here.

3. Hey Cotton, most of the Auburn family thinks you'd be the next Jason Campbell. Auburn is not a 'nation', it's a Family and it will be an honor to have you join us.

Posted by: xaff | October 11, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

What's a Bammer? I'm actually a Va Tech fan to let it be known. I live in Alabama and respect "Bammer" and their tradition and fans much more than Auburn. What do you care? I told you Pertino would come to the plains and put it on you. I don't care where Cotton goes and If I were a "Bammer" I'd be much more happy with Star Jackson and That other kid they have committed from Mobile right now. Don't fight it or spin it. Everyone knows what's going on at Auburn right now. And thank you for calling me a redneck. Very nice of you ya cow loving person. Peace!

Posted by: SoCal. | October 11, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Good Lord, this has turned into an Alabama board. Go Hoover!

Posted by: I love Two a Days | October 11, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

How bout MARYLAND?

Posted by: Ntlekt | October 12, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

At Auburn you are told you can compete for a position, plain and simple. There are no promises of playing time, starting, numbers, etc. Deron couldn't handle the competition so he left, plain and simple.

Having been a recruit in the past I can tell you I know a little bit more about the process than you couch potatoes that spend all their time posting on boards like this. Having said that, I can assure you that the Cotton family could care less what you idiots have to say.

Posted by: walk on | October 13, 2008 7:02 PM | Report abuse