On Twitter: JoshBarr and AllMetSports  |  Facebook  |  E-mail alerts: Redskins and Sports  |  RSS

Top Juniors Impressive for Linganore

Spent Friday night up in Frederick County, watching Linganore rout Westminster, 58-7. The Lancers were impressive in every facet, but most surprising was that all of their top players are juniors.

Offensive tackle Rob Havenstein and fullback Zach Zwinak already hold scholarship offers from Maryland and Coach Rick Conner thinks that wide receiver Ryan Dixon also is a potential scholarship players, among others.

Perhaps the most impressive of the bunch on Friday was Zwinak, who is listed at 6-2 and 238 pounds. He had the speed to outrun smaller defenders and the brawn to push other would-be tacklers aside. You don't see too many fullbacks with major-college offers as juniors.

Havenstein simply is huge and Dixon helped his own highlight tape with two touchdown catches.

By Josh Barr  | October 13, 2008; 11:50 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Groh Thinks Highly of WCAC
Next: U-Mass Plucks Pair of Local Hoopsters

Comments

I would like to start by saying thanks to Josh for coming out to watch the Lancers Friday. When I emailed Josh about checking out our football team I didn't think you would have the time or assume another disgruntled fan crying about not getting respect. Well now you have seen the Lancers in action and know they are extremely well coached and are big,fast,physical. I look for more exciting action to come.

**********FEAR THE SPEAR***************

Posted by: lancerfreak | October 14, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

I would like to start by saying thanks to Josh for coming out to watch the Linganore Lancers Friday. When I emailed Josh about checking out our football team I didn't think you would have the time or assume another disgruntled fan crying about not getting respect. Well now you have seen the Lancers in action and know they are extremely well coached and are big,fast,physical. I look for more exciting action to come.

**********FEAR THE SPEAR***************

Posted by: lancerfreak | October 14, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Offensive tackle Rob Havenstein and fullback Zach Zwinak will be signing letters of intent with the University of North Carolina.

Go Tar Heels !

Posted by: Gary | October 14, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Every one knows where the best teams in the State are! We send more players to D-1 than any other county in MD. When our players go away, they play!

Posted by: Mon't Co. | October 15, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Not going to argue about upper Montgomery County Football its excellent for the most part. I'm actually commenting about a very solid football team that has quite a few D-1 guys but they seem to care more about playing together, they are a team. I encourage you to come out 10/16 to Linganore and check out the Lancers, were playing 5-1 Tuscarora, should be good. As always -

***********FEAR THE SPEAR*********

Posted by: lancerfreak | October 15, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

No, you should come down to Mon't Co. to see some real football! Who have Frederick Co. sent to a D-1 school that has made a name for your County? COME ON SPEAR!!!!!!

Posted by: Mon't Co. | October 16, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

I guess the wanted Mayrlnad cause of the graduation rate! THAT'S RIGHT THEY CAN'T SPELL! GO HOKIES~

Posted by: Va Tech | October 16, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Va Tech | October 16, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

The only player that ever came out of Fredneck was chuck foreman and he wouldn't say that's were he was from! FEAR THAT SPEAR*

Posted by: Mon't Co. | October 16, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse