On Twitter: JoshBarr and AllMetSports  |  Facebook  |  E-mail alerts: Redskins and Sports  |  RSS

A Geography Lesson, New Mexico Style

So apparently at least one New Mexico fan was insulted that I or Coolidge Coach Jason Lane suggested that going to school in Albuquerque is a long way to go for a Washington-area high school student.

Don't think I wrote anything even close to controversial, but here's the email that popped into my in box this morning:

Lil sent the following message:

Guess what Josh, New Mexico is part of the United States!We're located between Arizona and Texas! We vote, we pay taxes, you don't need a passport,an interpreter, or shots, and yes you can even drink the water! Try cracking a geography book every once in while, maybe you'll learn something you jackass! And in case you're still not convinced, Las Cruces, New Mexico was Voted by Sports Illustrated "Title Town, USA" !

By Josh Barr  | January 15, 2009; 10:50 AM ET
Categories:  Football  | Tags:  New Mexico
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Still No Word on Johnson/Illini
Next: Local QB Picks Temple

Comments

"Lil" aka "Mike Locksley" ;-)

Posted by: sargeantmofo | January 15, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

"[New] Mexico is not like the States. It's a different scenario in New Mexico."

I'm not sure how you can think this wouldn't insult someone from New Mexico since it is part of The United States unless the coach meant some other set of States or clearly doesn't know his geography.

Posted by: dc_homer | January 15, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

ReL A Geography Lesson New Mexico Style. This is a great example of half-assed reporting. What happened to confirming information and researching facts? Doesn't anyone verify anything anymore? What happened to accuracy in reporting? Would someone please send this guy a map of the U.S. No one is credible anymore NO ONE!!.

Posted by: appalled3 | January 15, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Jason Lane is a dope, but so is Lil, because he didn't notice the obvious quotation marks around the line in question. Josh didn't spout the idiocy, Jason Lane did.

Posted by: gocaps2 | January 15, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Please don't take these comments too seriously. This happens to New Mexico quite a bit, and as a result people from New Mexico can get a little testy when it happens.

I for one as a Lobo fan appriciate your reporting on recruiting.

Posted by: junior2430 | January 15, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Josh,

take it as constructive criticism. i'm a Maryland native, who made the trip out that way for college, only i traveled another hour down to Socorro. Now THAT'S a different world. i loved my time there, even if the school of choice prohibited varsity sports of all kinds. i even did my bit to introduce lacrosse out in the hinterlands.

but its a good place, a beautiful place (once you get used to the sheer space), and a far different pace than DC. i think you'll find it'll be the start of a minor pipeline.

Posted by: mdrockjock | January 15, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I think the point Jason Lane was making is that it's a long way from D.C. to New Mexico, geographically and culturally for teenagers accustomed to being in Washington. And that these are likely the first of many local players who will head to New Mexico, just as they did to Illinois because of Locksley's rapport with the coaches and ability to recruit players here.

As for me, yes, I know New Mexico is a state. Been to Albuquerque, been the The Pit. Didn't need a passport.

Thanks, Lil and everyone else.

Posted by: Josh Barr | January 15, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I laughed when I read the coaches comment. It wasn't a shot at New Mexico, it was ignorance on the part of the coach.

Posted by: 78Lion | January 15, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse