On Twitter: JoshBarr and AllMetSports  |  Facebook  |  E-mail alerts: Redskins and Sports  |  RSS

WR Melvin Robinson back to Annandale, won't play this season

One of the Washington area's top returning players apparently has finished his high school football career.

Wide receiver Melvin Robinson, All-Met as a junior last season while playing for Annandale High, has transferred back to Annandale from Gwynn Park but will not play for the Atoms this season.

Robinson, who is 6 feet 3 and 210 pounds, had transferred to Gwynn Park over the summer to be closer to his father, Melvin Waddy, and play a larger role than he did at Annandale.

However, two weeks ago after the season's first game - in which he played sparingly and caught just one pass -- Robinson transferred back to Annandale after learning that he would be unable to meet Gwynn Park's graduation requirements, according to Robinson, Waddy and Gwynn Park Coach Danny Hayes.

Robinson subsequently thought that he would be able to rejoin the Annandale team, but that apparently will not happen. He had 41 catches for 678 yards and seven touchdowns last season.

"I was looking forward to it, I didn't think it would be a problem," Robinson said. But "I got voted off the team by the coaches and the players."

Annandale Coach Mike Scott declined to comment on Robinson's status, telling colleague James Wagner: "There are 77 young men in that locker room that are working very hard. And I like where we're at, though we're not there yet."

Robinson previously had been offered a scholarship to play for West Virginia, but that no longer appears to be a possibility.

"I guess I have to look ahead of football now, I can't always depend on football," he said. "Hopefully I can work something out. I keep praying about it. I'm trying to get into a school, whether it's Division II or wherever. Just trying to keep playing football."

By Josh Barr  | September 20, 2010; 9:00 AM ET
Categories:  Annandale, Football, Gwynn Park, Melvin Robinson, West Virginia
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Landon F Darion Atkins picks Virginia
Next: Chantilly C John Manning commits to St. Louis

Comments

This is very sad. Here's a kid who was fortunate enough to get out of the mean streets, seemed quite happy at Annandale, and a year ago the world was his for the taking. He was already being recruited nationwide with Annandale, a program with a proud football tradition that knows a little bit about what it takes to prepare the special players for the next level. Why risk all that just to pad your stats or try to win a state title - just because the Atoms were not expected to compete with the Lake Braddocks of the region this year. I really wish I knew what Mr. Waddy was thinking. He just might have thrown away his son's future over this.

I totally understand where Coach Scott and the Atoms players are coming from - especially after some of the disparaging quotes from Mr. Waddy in a previous article about Melvin leaving. At the same time, I feel so bad for the kid. He got very bad advice. My hope is that, if he would still be eligible to play, maybe Melvin could "earn" his way back onto the team somehow. Maybe running 5 miles a day for two weeks, serving as the water boy during practice and games, etc. etc. Then let him play the final 5 games. It could be a real spark for the team (which is already off to a decent start) and might salvage his future. Sadly, we've seen in this case that father doesn't always know best.

Posted by: DoctorJoe | September 20, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

I find it funny that he transfers, plays sparingly in a game and then wants to come back.... that is called karma.. grass is not always greener on the other side. If he has a scholarship, good for him but I support a stance that Annandale is making.

Posted by: rvanags | September 20, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

One other thing that is a bit fishy to me - ---- Fairfax County public schools are still rated among the best in the nation (hard to say how much longer that will be the case) and, well, not to disparage the PG County public school system, but it is what it is - not at the same level according to the people who claim to know. How could he be eligible to graduate in Fairfax County and not in PG County? Something about that does not add up. I do not think the kid wanted to leave Annandale. Perhaps it was easier to talk about potentially bogus graduation credits than to admit it was a mistake to ever leave in the first place. Good luck to you, Melvin Robinson. This really does sadden me. Perhaps Fork Union or Hargrave Military Academy next year would be a potential option to get yourself back in the game.

Posted by: DoctorJoe | September 20, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Who does Coach Scott think he is "GOD!" We can all see he is perched on his high moral ground as the new Annandale football coach.

Well let's see if Coach Scott has made mistakes in his past. I am willing to bet he has just as all of us have. The Coach is placing his ego above a kid’s future.

This is a kid and you make a point to the kid because you have issues with the kid’s parent. Where is the county in all of this? Have they heard of equal protection under the law. The kid did not transfer himself the parent did.

If this kid is eligible to play ball by Fairfax County academic standards and passes a physical I do not see how this kid can be denied an opportunity to play just as every other kid is allowed the opportunity to play.

This kid should be permitted to play at another county school as long as his guardians are tax paying residents of Fairfax County. I understand kids can transfer for academic reasons. However, this is the kid’s senior season and this kid is an All Met player. Therefore, you can't say his is not talented enough.

I believe this is a case where the family of this kid should to retain legal counsel. This kid should be afforded the same opportunity as any other kid in the county.

This is 2010 and we do not vote kids off of teams because of personal reasons. What is next Fairfax County are we going to vote people of off teams because of skin color, gender, and ethnicity.

Let's see how Coach White would feel if the 3rd grade band members voted his child out of the band class at the direction of the teacher.

The county should investigate this and if it is found that this coach influenced the team to vote the way they did then it should be dealt with. My experience is kids just want to play ball and the adults have the hidden agendas.

Posted by: phibetas373 | September 23, 2010 7:38 AM | Report abuse

Good for the players and coaches at Annandale for not giving in to this guy. He threw them all under the bus when he left. Guess he will have to keep praying.

Posted by: Fx10 | September 23, 2010 7:53 AM | Report abuse

The reason Melvin Robinson transfered back to the atoms because his was not doing as well as he was doing out VA i went to the two games he played in and he was shutdown. he didnt fit in with gwynn park or against pg county schools football wise. he was thinking he would have a better chance by going back to his school pg county was to much for him.

Posted by: forestville9 | September 23, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

The reason Melvin Robinson transfered back to the atoms because he was not doing as well as he was doing out VA i went to the two games he played in and he got shutdown.

Posted by: forestville9 | September 23, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

his not good i seen he play in pg county

Posted by: forestville9 | September 23, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

he is overrated because pg has more players from the bad neighbor hoods in their good

Posted by: forestville9 | September 23, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse