On Twitter: JoshBarr and AllMetSports  |  Facebook  |  E-mail alerts: Redskins and Sports  |  RSS
Posted at 3:39 PM ET, 02/ 4/2011

Cyrus Kouandjio: Will choose between Auburn and Alabama by Monday

By James Wagner

It's been two days since DeMatha All-Met offensive lineman Cyrus Kouandjio, widely regarded as one of the country's top college prospects, announced his decision to attend Auburn before a national television audience and then failed to send in his national letter of intent because he wasn't sure of his choice.

On Friday, Kouandjio said he had eliminated New Mexico from his finalists and was going to decide between Auburn and Alabama by Monday. The 6-foot-7, 300-pound senior said he wanted a few more days to contemplate his choice.

"I'm going to go through the weekend, sit down and talk to everybody," he said after classes ended at the Hyattsville school. "You know, see their opinions on things."

Kouandjio said he hadn't spoken to either Auburn or Alabama on Friday, reiterating again that this decision was his own.

"It's so clutch right now, it's really down to me," he said. "Everybody just be pointing their finger down to me. I can't go to anybody and be like, 'Hey, can you tell me differently where I should go?' Everybody just backed off, got their foot out and said, 'Cyrus, you're on your own.'"

Part of his struggle can be traced to his family ties to Alabama, a school he said his family wants him to attend. His brother, former DeMatha lineman Arie Kouandjio, is a freshman at Alabama.

By James Wagner  | February 4, 2011; 3:39 PM ET
Categories:  Alabama, Auburn, Cyrus Kouandjio, DeMatha, Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cyrus Kouandjio: Waiting to sign, still considering Auburn, Alabama and New Mexico
Next: Cyrus Kouandjio: DeMatha OL commits to Alabama, faxes in letter of intent

Comments

Both Alabama schools will help him achieve his NFL goals. I'm an Auburn fan so I would prefer CK attend AU. He needs to choose what's good for him and not the fans He's a smart kid and will do just fine.

Posted by: papany | February 4, 2011 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Agree wholeheartedly. Would love to see Cyrus pursue his dreams in Orange and Blue, but 90% of the Auburn folks I've spoken with the past two days just want the kid to be happy and feel good about his decision. Both schools are going to be successful with or without Cyrus, though he'd obviously get a better shot at early playing time at Auburn due to the all the Senior OL. Best of luck, Cyrus. War Damn Eagle!

Posted by: fiveputt | February 4, 2011 4:27 PM | Report abuse

I think Cyrus would do better at Alabama because they run a pro-style offense. Many NFL analysts say this.

Posted by: martel732 | February 4, 2011 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I am a Bama fan, I wish everyone would just leave this young man alone. If he wants to play at AU, let him play. It's not the end of the world. Bama will move on to another, possibly better player. If he wants his family to split up attending both sons games, it's their problem. I sure would have liked playing along side my brother in college football. But, that's just my thought. I can't blame his parents for being concerned. Anyway, CK, do what your heart tells you. You can't go wrong with either Bama or Auburn. Maybe if this is such a problem, go to another school. Lot's of luck to you.

Posted by: joneighb | February 4, 2011 5:17 PM | Report abuse

What a thrill it must be to have the opportunity to play along side your brother at a major SEC school and National power like The Crimson Tide. Being able to do that and have your parents watch you and your brother play together on Saturdays would have to be special feeling!!! Roll Tide Cyrus and I wish you well in what ever you choose do!!!!

Posted by: racer50 | February 4, 2011 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: racer50 | February 4, 2011 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Being an Auburn graduate I would love to see Cyrus at Auburn. We are a unique little village or community with a great fanbase, excellent facilities, great coaches who are christian men, a nationally recognized school with solid academics, an nationally recognized athletic program, and a short drive from Tuscaloosa where Cyrus's brother is. There is nothing like the Auburn spirit and the Auburn family. Having said all that, I wish Cyrus good fortune and hope he makes his own decision as where to attend school and play and doesn't let outside pressure and influence make the decision for him. War Eagle Cyrus.

Posted by: scotty44 | February 4, 2011 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Cyrus would be more happy at Alabama, having his brother on campus would help him adjust to college life quicker. Not a fan of either school but Alabama does have a few things that Auburn doesn't have, Deep and long Tradition, Bear Bryant Museum, BDD Stadium that seats 102,000, Larger national TV fanbase and following, No Cam Newton scandal, No Pay per play Scandals, No looming NCAA investigations, No looming FBI probes. Nick Saban prepares players for the NFL and life after football. My Brother is a '85 Auburn Graduate and I always disliked the school. I believe Cyrus will choose Alabama and his family can see both of their Sons play on Saturday's in the Fall.

Posted by: CenturyClass | February 4, 2011 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CenturyClass | February 4, 2011 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CenturyClass | February 4, 2011 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Cyrus would be more happy @ Auburn,having just won a national championship. Not a fan of either school, Auburn does have a few things that Alabama doesn't have.A 2010 natinal championship, Toomers corner and the #1 recruiting class in America.Auburn's not currently on probation like Alabama with the text book scandal, no illegal recruiting etc!!Gene Chizik prepares players for national championships and to be #1 draft picks (see Nick Fairley)and life after. My Brother is is a 95 graduate of Alabama and I always disliked the school. I believe Cyrus will choose Auburn and his family can see one of their sons play on Sunday's in the fall

Posted by: whoahosse | February 4, 2011 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Unless Cyrus, his family, or his coaches have said otherwise he is still considering Iowa. His father was quoted as saying even Iowa was in the mix with Bama and Auburn. Did I miss the update where he said he had eliminated Iowa?

Posted by: hawkeyebill67 | February 4, 2011 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Well let’s just say what most people think about the University of Alabama. Its football pursuits justify its identity with an uneducated backward population and symbolic link to the Lost Cause. It is truly ironic that the exploitation of a less-powerful racial group serves to inoculate the U of Alabama from pressure to improve the state or to stimulate change. Football "success" has stalled its transformation into a modern university with intellectual, aesthetic or humanistic concerns. Also the University of Alabama’s misplaced priorities (football fluff over economic substance) harm the state’s growth and development as the Crimson Tide football team is outlet for the lunatic fringe and a venue for them to be recognized. Too often though the holy crusade of Bama football acts as an umbrella under which the range of political and social opinion is from Y to Z. Thus when a university simply reflects the attitudes of its football fans..... It is no longer a university in the true meaning of the word.
The NCAA would actually be doing the University of Alabama a favor by handing down a 'Death Penalty' for its football team. It will be only then that its faculty, alumni and students will appreciate the scholarship and learning that mark a university with intellectual fiber and integrity. Indeed until that happens “roll tide” is the mortifying apology for those without individual self-esteem or dignity.

Posted by: PriesterJohn | February 5, 2011 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Well, PriesterJohn

Dat thars sum mighty fancy writin.

I bet u got a purdy mowf 2!

Posted by: JimBillyBob | February 5, 2011 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I am a Bama fan and maybe I am not seeing all of this clearly but I just do not understand the whole situation. What is it that is attractive about Auburn University? Trying to be objective but it is difficult for me to see how a kid would not want to play on the same offensive line as his brother. It would be the biggest story in college football when Alabama wins another National Championship, the brothers Kouandjio lead the Tide to a title. Going to Bama would be a natural conclusion, going to AU will only create more controversy and contempt between the 2 schools.

Posted by: JTinnon | February 5, 2011 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Cyrus Kouandjio will make up his mind and will do well wherever he decides to attend college. Of course I'd prefer that he sign with Auburn, but he'll do well on any team. Leave the kid alone and let him make the decision.

Posted by: PHXTiger2 | February 5, 2011 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Hey JTinnon, the young man wants to study architecture and play major college football. Auburn offers him both (AU has an outstanding College of Architecture) while UAT only offers football. It appears that the UAT coaching staff only want him as a football player and not as a real student. Going to Bama would be contradictory to his dream and he would regret it the rest of his life.

Posted by: SeattleWA2 | February 5, 2011 4:31 PM | Report abuse