First Crack at the 53

We'll update it and revise it, but now that we've passed the halfway point of August, here's my first crack at the 53-man roster. Injuries obviously could cause some changes, but here's my guess for now:

QBs (3): Campbell, Collins, Cult of Colt (CoC from here on out, if nothing else a nod to Corrosion of Conformity).

Specialists (3): Suisham, Brooks, Albright (The Red Snapper)

RBs (4): Portis, Betts, Cartwright, Mason

TEs/FB (4): Cooley, Sellers, Yoder, Davis

WRs (6): Moss, Randle El, Thrash, Thomas, Kelly, McMullen

OL (9): Samuels, Kendall, Rabach, Thomas, Jansen, Fabini, Heyer, Rinehart, Geisinger (Maybe they keep Wade and stash Geisinger on the practice squad - if he's eligible, I'll check on it - but my gut feeling is that Wade's injuries conspire against him.)

I gave the offense 26 players, as opposed to 24 with the D. That's often how it breaks down, especially with offensive-minded coaches.

DL (8): Taylor, Golston, Griffin, Carter, Evans, Montgomery, James, Alexander (Maybe they find a way to keep Wilson or Jackson as a speed rusher, but after loading up on DEs, I'm not sure it works out. Maybe they keep 9, but not sure that happens if they keep 4 RBs.)

LB (6): Fletcher, Washington, McIntosh, Blades, Campbell, Sinclair

CBs (5): Springs, Rogers, Smoot, Torrence, Tryon, Richardson (maybe Westbrook's returning ability gives him the nod here)

Safeties (5): Landry, Doughty, Moore, Horton, Fox (maybe with Springs's versatility they squeeze a spot here and start with 4 safeties).

We'll see how much I change this between now and September. Feel free to mock and ridicule as always. Just my best guess for right now.

By Jason La Canfora  |  August 19, 2008; 7:41 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kelly Returns to Practice (Sort Of)
Next: The Cult of Colt

Comments

1st! ever!

Posted by: cosmofla | August 19, 2008 7:46 AM | Report abuse

getting pounded by rain here in south florida

Posted by: cosmofla | August 19, 2008 7:47 AM | Report abuse

Wilson??

Posted by: cosmofla | August 19, 2008 7:49 AM | Report abuse

Fox is out. Keep Wade over Fox.
Mix over Thrash. What has Thrash done this preseason??? Mix is just as good on ST, and younger!

Posted by: Tom | August 19, 2008 7:49 AM | Report abuse

I think Wilson makes the team.

Posted by: jm220 | August 19, 2008 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Tom with the injury to Mix I think he is out. Not that I agree with it, but that is how it will go down.

Posted by: jm220 | August 19, 2008 7:54 AM | Report abuse

JM220, If they keep Thrash over Mix, it's a huge mistake. Huge. They have plenty of kick return specialists on the team now, and need SIZE @ WR! Mix needs a shot. Thrash has proven to be a solid ST player, but that's it! Mix can be both, given a chance.

Posted by: Tom | August 19, 2008 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Nice nod to Corrosion of Conformity!

Posted by: jabedoben | August 19, 2008 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Tom | August 19, 2008 7:49 AM

What every accomplished veteran does: take it easy.

Mix is banged up, and he's a guy who HAS to show something to stick around. I still haven't seen anything out of him that makes me want to give up on solid special teams player and locker room leader.

I can understand the love affair (to an extent) with Mason because he's been productive in the preseason. Besides being 6'5" and a former teammate of JC, what has Mix done to earn the affections of Redskin Nation?

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2008 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Jason has one extra player listed. I just counted 54 total players. He has 6 CB's listed but is only counting 5. Either Tryon or Richardson would have to be cut.

Posted by: Rob | August 19, 2008 8:02 AM | Report abuse

I'll give Mix a shot over Mcmullen b/c of his height..and Jackson or wilson gets the nod...also Crummey has been fantastic and will make the team.

Posted by: KC | August 19, 2008 8:07 AM | Report abuse

I prefer "Coco" for 'Cult of Colt' to "Coc."

Posted by: DCUnited2 | August 19, 2008 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Tom | August 19, 2008 7:57 AM

What? Thrash is the best blocking WR on this team, he's a solid route runner (underrated aspect of playing WR in my book), and a locker room leader. He caught the first two TDs from a WR last year when nobody wearing a number in the 80s could! I'm not saying he's Art Monk in his prime, but you'll be glad to have him starting over Mix if this team gets hit with injuries at WR again. Trust me you would...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2008 8:08 AM | Report abuse

I think they have both played well however i dont see a real difference between moore and horton. If they are for real about springs as a reserve ss they need to make a distinction between the two to open up another spot, 11 db's with all that inexperience may be to many, guys like jackson have made a lot of flashes on the DL to be ignored.

Posted by: stu | August 19, 2008 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Stu, I doubt Jackson makes the final 53. As a 7th rounder, I think he sits on the practice squad for the year. The loser of the competition between Horton and Moore will also hit the practice squad.

I think they'll only play Springs at FS in case of emergency. He only played there in preseason because of Laron's injury and to get him some reps there in preparation for his imminent move back there.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2008 8:17 AM | Report abuse

If Landry comes back healty and ready. I am now begining to get concerned about him there gearing up for real in a few weeks and he hasnt seen grass in a month, he a baller but still need some wake up time. i honeslty think we need to reevaluate the whole ss. I commend Doughty for his role in stepping in but the guy cannot tackle, he is in position there fast and on time but cant finish. Throw the dice and put someone else in there.

Posted by: Stu | August 19, 2008 8:27 AM | Report abuse

I don't think Fox makes, it, as stated above, with Springs being able to fill in there, I think fox is the odd man out. I also think that Westbrook makes it, again factoring in versatility.

I think Jackson makes the p-squad, I'm not sure that Wilson doesn't get snatched up by another team.

Was out of town, and didn't watch the game, anyone stand out?

Posted by: Greg | August 19, 2008 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: KC | August 19, 2008 8:07 AM

McMullen's 6' 4" so not much difference there.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 19, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

I'd keep McMullen over Mix. McMullen has looked pretty solid. Mix has a broken rib.

Posted by: Prison Balls | August 19, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Tom | August 19, 2008 7:57 AM

How about what has Mix done ever? He made one big play last year. He hasn't even proven that he can catch. You are out of your mind.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 19, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu | August 19, 2008 8:27 AM

Where do you come from? What games are you watching? Doughty is a sound tackler and sometimes brings the wood. Your 0-2 in my book so far.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 19, 2008 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Unfortunetly Fox has experience, majorly lacking with the rest of the safties. Landry 2nd year Doughty 3/4th year. This really seem to me to be the position most in need of shoaring up. QB locked down, i hate Collins though. OL good, old but getting younger, WR stacked, RB fully stacked, DL very full epescially if James can imapact during the year, LB full, CB very experienced starters less so down the line. DB's are going to be where some tough decisions are made.

Posted by: Stu | August 19, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Sorry Stu, 0-1, the other was directed towards Tom. My bad.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 19, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Greg be happy that you didn't get to see it.

Posted by: jm220 | August 19, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Come from the Tilly watched em all. Not against getting doughty off the team im just saying there are going to be better options he is not a starting SS for the NFL, the newly implemented D audio helmet will also effect his play with no more hand signals being used.

Posted by: STU | August 19, 2008 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Nate, I sent you an email this morning.

Also, I'm starting to come around on possibly letting Erasmus go. What are the criteria for getting that 7th round pick back? Completely cutting him? If we put him on the practice squad do we get it back? What if we cut him then put him on the practice squad? Can we even do that? I'm not too update on all the lame NFL rules.

But I like R. Jackson. That said, I have no clue what he's done in practice and Erasmus at least *once* had the talent of a top 30 player in the draft...

Posted by: The Truth in 1st person | August 19, 2008 8:43 AM | Report abuse

I somewhat agree about the Horton, Moore argument, you know pick one or the other, but I think they take both. Fox hasn't looked all that good. Springs can fill in. I think they should cut Tryon. Especially if JLaDeDa is right, just off on his math, they'll need to cut one of those corners. Tryon seems to get beat and is out of position a lot.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 19, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

I think iti's horton OR moore, but not both. One will go to the p squad. I also think jasckson will make the team, but will hit the p squad at worst. He might even get snatched up after some of the flashes he's shown so far.

Thrash is on the team, like it or not. I'd be shocked to see mix make it.

Posted by: WrongDog | August 19, 2008 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: STU | August 19, 2008 8:43 AM

I don't buy it. He seems to be a pretty smart guy and is always where he is supposed to be. He's no LaRon, but's he's solid. Got to go by what we've seen, and last year was a pretty good audition.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 19, 2008 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Also I agree about Doughty for the most part, but I'm not over giving him another chance this season. Once we get our entire secondary back, we'll see how he does. He was solid last year when he took over. Definitely not a playmaker and definitely can't hold a candle to Sean Taylor, but we were spoiled with 21 so let's give this guy a chance.

Also would keeping Tryon on the roster over R. Jackson be a smart choice? I'm not so sure...Jackson and Erasmus could be good and we could groom them to take over once Taylor leaves in 2 years (supposedly). That could possibly lock up that position for awhile, and we could wait to see if Tryon pans out or draft another CB next year.

Posted by: The Truth in 1st person | August 19, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

I have a feeling they keep Westbrook (today's profile notwithstanding) because of his return ability and the fact that, if they can't practice squad him again, they don't want to lose a promising young player in a position where they desperately need help.

Posted by: Rob | August 19, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Brilliant nod to Corrosion of Conformity!!

Posted by: Pretzel Boy | August 19, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

What if we cut him then put him on the practice squad? Can we even do that?

Posted by: The Truth in 1st person | August 19, 2008 8:43 AM

That's a no-go, Truth. I'm pretty sure once you've played about 3 or 4 years you're no longer eligible for the practice squad.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Rumor has it that Captain Chaos took Christy to the Backstreet Boys concert last night...

Posted by: Zebra | August 19, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Think Tryon stays, he was out of position a few times but he alwys made the tackle afterword, reminds me of how carlos started out. Im willing to give my corners adjustment time. he seems like he has upside and the way teams value corners keeping and croping him would be best, he would get picked up eventually by someone.

Posted by: Stu | August 19, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Tom, also you need to listen to what Zorn says about thrash.... he is the number 3 since our rooks havent touched a field yet (i dont count Thomas playing against the Jets b/c all he did was put his hands on his knees and suck wind) and Zorn said he will figure prominently.

Posted by: Zebra | August 19, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

I think we have to find a way to keep Rob Jackson on the team. It is not just his production but how he looks: that combination of size, speed and agility makes him look like a threat to get the qb every play which he did again on Saturday night with a great power move to the outside forcing a fumble.

Maybe Erasmus James is a worldbeater--I don't know--and he once had top tier talent, but until I see anything out of him I say Jackson ahead of Erasmus James.

Also, is it just me, or are we loaded at d-line? The Eagles gave Chris Clemons $8 mil guaranteed in the off-season to be a rotational d-end in their defense. Clemons was a nice hustle, speed rusher for us until the Giants maimed him (and I am happy he got paid) but I don't think he was any better than Chris Wilson (another pure speed guy) and not as promising as Rob Jackson to me. Dunno. Think we have to find a way to keep 9 at least.

I know we need 6 linebackers but Sinclair is weak at the number 6.

Posted by: JamesTuthill | August 19, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

plaid panties

Posted by: Anonymous | August 19, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

I think Jackson makes the team. When Jason Taylor thinks you've got the chance to be a good player, thats good enough for me.

Posted by: Greg | August 19, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Truth, Doughty isnt completely deaf... LFB just said it was hared for them to adjust coverage once they are all far away from each other and London has to get his attnetion. LFB will still get the play and relay it in close to the D...

Posted by: Zebra | August 19, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

I saw CoC in Atlants a while back. Loved it! Anyways, gotta have Doughty, only other safety besides Fox, that has knowledge of the system to play by LaRon. Fox never impresses me. As far as Tryon goes. Seems like a practice squad guy to me. He may have potential with upsides but Richardson looks better right now. Tryon has some downsides. Anyways, good fubbal related discussions this morning. Thanks.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 19, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

i think wilson will make it over jackson because he proved himself last year and this so far. i hope rodgers gets a lot more playing time he looks like he needs it. he played badly like he did at the beginning of last year and all the years he has been here. i do not see him ever being as good as he and everyone else thinks.

Posted by: rls1041 | August 19, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

The comments about cutting Thrash are ridiculous!!! LOL. So you cut a vet to keep some unproven young bucks?? I like Thomas and Kelly as potential good WR's, but the fact of the matter is, they've already been hurt in training camp, and neither one has done anything significant in a game situtation. I think Thrash has always proven his worth.

Posted by: dcb | August 19, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Section 4. Eligibility:
(a) The practice squad shall consist of the following players, provided that they have not served more than two previous seasons on a Practice Squad: (i) players who do not have an Accrued Season of NFL experience; and (ii) free agent players who were on the Active List for fewer than nine regular season games during their only Accrued Season(s). An otherwise eligible player may be a practice squad player for a third season only if the Club by which he is employed that season has at least 53 players on its Active/Inactive List during the entire period of his employment.
(b) A player shall be deemed to have served on a Practice Squad in a season if he has passed the club’s physical and been a member of the club’s Practice Squad for at least three regular season or postseason games during his first two Practice Squad seasons, and for at least one regular season or postseason game during histhird Practice Squad season. (A bye week counts as a game provided that the player is not terminated until after the regular season or postseason weekend in question.)

Posted by: NFLPA | August 19, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Wade & Fox cut. Tryon to PSquad. Mix to PSquad if eligible, if not, cut. Richardson as 5th DB

Posted by: JinxMan7997 | August 19, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

I think this roster is pretty much dead-on. As far as CB, I think they are practically begging Westbrook to make a play (on D or on teams) to justify keeping him as the fifth corner (over Richardson). That said, he's one more muffed punt from getting stashed on the practice squad, so he better worry about stowing the leather before trying to get up field.

Posted by: Mike H. | August 19, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Thrash discussion is a non-starter. He is our third best receiver right now and one of our best special teams. No chance he gets cut.

Posted by: JamesTuthill | August 19, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Jasno posted without an edit this morning....bad Jasno, bad...

So here's what the CBs should say:

CBs (5): Springs, Rogers, Smoot, Torrence, Tryon. (Richardson could go to the practice squad; Westbrook's return ability might give him a spot here.)

And I, too, would have gone with CoCo. :)

Posted by: Cindy | August 19, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

I think getting a TD gets you a bit to much exposure in Richardsons case, he has not played better the Tryon. Agreed about westbrook, its like everyone keeps giving him the chance to step up but he hasnt produced it yet. I dont want corners that jump routes, Richardson.

Posted by: Stu | August 19, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

My roster thoughts...
I would make room for Mason. It may be 3rd stringers that he is tearing up in preseason, but that's not his fault. He is getting it done and deserves a spot.
No to Mix! I do understand the love-fest for this guy. He has shown nothing this summer, yet surprisingly enough, McMullen has played pretty good. Definitely worthy of being the sixth man at WR.
Moore or Horton, but not both. The other can play on the practice squad.
I like Jackson over Wilson, but Jackson is the safe choice to move to the practice squad. Wilson would probably get claimed by some team desperate for a DE.
I'd pass on Wade too. I like Crummey and Geisenger and would like to see the Skins get younger on the O-line. If Jansen suffers another injury, maybe you could try and re-sign Wade, but I'm all for the youth movement.

Posted by: Matt | August 19, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I think that Fox has to be cut...Hamilton has played well in his time here and I think deserves a chance, he is also a hell of an athlete. He could be very useful on Special Teams. You cant ever fault a guy like Thrash, he works his butt off and is always going a 110%, I think you keep him over Mix. I say we trade Kelly to someone that needs a soft, whining rookie WR and keep Mix, but I am not sure that Mix has really shown us anything.

Lets face it, there is also going to be people that get cut when the roster comes out, so there could be other additions or cuts, got to wait until it plays out.

For sure, i think we need to get rid of Fox, he has looked lost out there, missed tackles and made bad decisions.

Posted by: mhartz1 | August 19, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

This would be a Gibbs type move. Cut Thrash and keep Mix. Then stash Mix on IR and re-sign Thrash.

Posted by: skinfanman | August 19, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

I think we gotta consider keeping only 3 RBs. I guess take your pick Rock/Mason. Me I say Rock hands down. Second halves of preseason game are riddled with RBs who look good...but whateves Mason then...

BUTT I would rather keep extra lineman (both sides)dudes like Crummey, Jackson, Wilson have chances to contribute.

Posted by: chrIS lArry | August 19, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

doughty? you gonna keep doughty? so you're replacing an HOF-er with a deaf and slow guy? meanwhile you wasted 3 picks on WR's and another on a QB that won't even start this year?

my final prediction 0-16!

and is everyone else off the JC bandwagon yet? no? okay.

but you know what i'm hoping all this doom and gloom turns into a superbowl ring like the gints last year...but i'm not expecting it though...

Posted by: dealer | August 19, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

I'm not really sure why everyone is so high on Rogers. I think he's an average corner at best with an unfortunate habit of getting beat deep. We are in serious trouble at corner, especially if Blache uses the same type of pressure schemes Williams did, relying on man coverage. I have little confidence in Rogers being a shut down corner.

Posted by: cosmofla | August 19, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Thrash over Mix

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | August 19, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

I would say Crummey over Fabini, except Fabini can play tackle. Can Crummey play center?

Posted by: skinfanman | August 19, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

mhartz;

Do you really think we could get anything for Kelly? Def not a second rounder. Why not wait until he has shown something which would up his value.

Sadly we probably did and will always hold him higher than others did/will. Thats why he dropped. As well as Thomas. Hopefully one shows up. Sad, but it has come to that.

Posted by: Zebra | August 19, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Why would you keep 5 Corners and 5 Safeties when at most you run 2 Safeties and at times (granted rarely) you can run with 4 corners? I guess Safeties are a bit more prototypical special teamers.

Suprised to see McMullen over Mix. I think JC has a hand in that decision and Mix makes the cut although with the two rookies his height is no longer unique.

If I ever find a woman stupid enough to procreate with me I'm gonna feed that kid alot and teach him to snap a football. Heck maybe i'll even try and find a redhead. If the Red Snapper is making vet min and he's been in the league like 10 years that's what? Like 500k/year?

Posted by: Skinz | August 19, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinfanman | August 19, 2008 9:29 AM

He played center against the Jets and looked good.

Posted by: kmdp4 | August 19, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

This Mix for Thrash talk is ridiculous. The coaches love Thrash for his hustle, conditioning and leadership. Not only does he make the team, but he starts opening game at X (with ARE in slot and Moss at Z).

Posted by: RambleOn | August 19, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Dealer,

your jumping on and off bandwagons based upon one game is Synderatto esque...

Posted by: Zebra | August 19, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

If Thrash is cut, Eagles will be all over him. He knows the system and he would upgrade their special teams, not to mention giving them plenty of insight about our new system. Keep Thrash!

Posted by: cosmofla | August 19, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

And one more thing:

Posted by: Repeat after Me | August 19, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

I agree, no one is cutting Thrash and while the whole cut then put someone on IR thing may sound good, don't forget that players wouldn't like being cut not to mention the salary cap implications.

Posted by: Skinz | August 19, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Crummey, and Geisinger over Wade and Flabini. Do it now, and get started on the youth movement.

Posted by: Greg | August 19, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Repeat, is that a bad thing?

Springs and Smoot are not zone players, better at running with a WR. So it may be a good thing, assuming you meant that in a negative sense.

Posted by: Zebra | August 19, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

And one more thing:

Posted by: Repeat after Me | August

**************************************************

Very insightful.

Posted by: cosmofla | August 19, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Vital Statistics for Ethan Albright:

Ht: 6' 5" Wt: 257
Age: 37
Born: 5/1/1971, Greensboro, NC
College: North Carolina
NFL Experience: 14th season
Salary: $866,360

Posted by: RostaMon | August 19, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Okay hopefully I'm not asking ignorant questions, I'm a college guy much more than pros, but say we do put Jackson on the practice squad, what happens when a team wants to pick 'em up? Do we get a chance to counter-offer or no?

And I missed the quote on J Taylor saying he'll be a good player.

Definitely no to Mix, sorry. I don't dislike any player on our team as some do, but with Tryon, Jackson, Mason on the cutting block, Mix is a no-brainer.

Posted by: The Truth in 1st person | August 19, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

If I were doing it, I'd put Colt on the practice squad. There's no way he plays in a game this year; if JC & TC get hurt they'd sign a veteran before the x-ray dried. And I doubt if anyone else would sign him either. That would free a spot for either another OL or a safety.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 19, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Sorry going off on my tangent. Ethan Albright makes $820k/year. That is insane. To play what 5-8 snaps a game. I bet he makes more money per snap then anyone on the team.

Posted by: Skinz | August 19, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

For those of you wanting to trade or cut the two rookie wideouts, because they have not shown anything yet. Rookie receivers hardly ever do anything the first year, they need time to develop. Read this comment from a Jerry Rice Biography.

Rice's rookie season had a rocky start. He dropped a record fifteen passes, a feat not lost on the press or the fans. In retrospect, Rice blamed his early failures on the complex offense that Walsh ran. He simply had to learn the moves, he said, to the point where he could run a play without thinking about it. It is not at all uncommon for rookie professional players to stumble a bit, especially those who have not seen much top-level competition in college.

Posted by: kmdp4 | August 19, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Westbrook is gone. He hasn't done anything on PR and I don't think he's a good enough CB to make the team. So that's one "free" spot for someone else to get.

I like the rookie safeties and was caught off guard by how good Justin Hamilton played in the last game. He can get after it..looks like he can close in on pursuits.

Posted by: Baller4Life | August 19, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Anon, he would be gone before his PS ink dried...

Posted by: Zebra | August 19, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

I would be tempted to go all younger back-ups on o-line with Rinehart ready to step in at guard and Heyer ready to step in at tackle and then add Geisinger and Crummey to the mix to see if they develop.

However, given Zorn's comments, I would say keeping Fabini at least is a given.

That probably leaves a battle between Crummey and Geisinger.

I think Wade is done. No sense in having a proven veteran back-up if he is never available to go in. At least Fabini stepped right in and played ok all year.

Posted by: JamesTuthill | August 19, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

km, anyone who wants to trade or Thomas or Kelly is just really, really simple(stupid), and doesn't understand the basics of how the sport works.

Unbelievable....

Posted by: Greg | August 19, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

I would cut:

westbrook
Mix
Tyron
Wade
Mason/Rock

Posted by: chrIS lArry | August 19, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cosmofla | August 19, 2008 9:27 AM

Name me 10, hell even 5 "shut down corners" in the league.

Posted by: The Truth in 1st person | August 19, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Also as I said yesterday, at some point if E. James can't start practicing when do you cut bait...keep Jackson and Wilson and get the next year's 7th back?

Posted by: chrIS lArry | August 19, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Truth,

There is only one shut down corner in the league and he plays in Denver. Gibbs gave him up and a second round pick for a running back.

Posted by: kmdp4 | August 19, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

would cut:

westbrook
Mix
Tyron
Wade
Mason/Rock

Posted by: chrIS lArry | August 19, 2008 9:44 AM

agree with all but the rb's. i'd like to see both play significant roles. to me, special teams play often makes the difference in close games. we cannot underestimate their importance. rock and thrash are stalwarts on the teams

Posted by: cosmofla | August 19, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

I'm agreeing cHRIs LARRy but I think they might see something in James to be keeping him around. When would we officially "lose" that pick? When he plays in a regular season game or is it just if he makes the team? Can't remember.

And yes kmdp4, that's my thought as well, although I'm not really bitter about it like you sound.

Posted by: The Truth in 1st person | August 19, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Repeat, is that a bad thing?

Posted by: Zebra | August 19, 2008 9:35 AM

No, it isn't a bad thing that Rogers is a Cover-2 corner. It just means he has different strengths and weaknesses than a "shut down", man-to-man cover corner. Agreed that Smoot and Springs have different skill sets, and that the variety actually gives the Redskins more flexibility than if they had three identical corners.

There's constant harping on here about Rogers by people who don't have a clue what they're talking about. Rogers is never going to be Deion Sanders, but how many tackles did Sanders make? It's apples and oranges, and always will be.

Carlos Rogers has a good skill set and decent speed, and is valuable in playing run defense and zone pass defense. Put LaRon out behind him at FS and half the field is covered very well.

Posted by: Repeat after Me | August 19, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Someone fill me in...I hear such great things from other players about Malcolm Kelly and his ability and his desire to learn...and then I keen hearing about how he is in Zorn's doghouse. What's the deal?

Posted by: Joe | August 19, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Name me 10, hell even 5 "shut down corners" in the league.

Posted by: The Truth in 1st person | August 19, 2008 9:44 AM

I'm saying he's just not very good at all. What do you think of him as a starting corner who will have many opportunities to be in man coverage?

Posted by: cosmofla | August 19, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

The alltime season best Running Back in the Redskins illustrious running history.

Posted by: Stu | August 19, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Shut down corner, my eye. I would LOVE to have Champ back in the NFC East.

Posted by: Amani Toomer | August 19, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I got beef with Double Move, if he had finished the year last season, it would have been "What a nice season Rogers had, he is maturing into a solid starter with rising potential"

Truth, if he makes the 53 man roster than we surrender our pick. Prolly includes Pup list as well.

Posted by: chrIS lArry | August 19, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

So he called them out. And actually Thomas was making excuses. Kelly didnt really say anything. And Kelly had knee surgery... so he just hasnt shown anything

Posted by: Zebra | August 19, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Joe, who said that Kelly was in zorn's doghouse?? Where did you read that?

Posted by: Greg | August 19, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

meant I got NO beef with double move...

Posted by: chrIS lArry | August 19, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Repeat,

I take it you have vast coaching experience. like to know your background in football, generally.

Posted by: cosmofla | August 19, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I agree that if players need to be cut from this list (Jasno had 54 total, not 53), Fox would be the first to go. Special teams are very important, but you have to have guys that can step in and play either O or D too. Fox has repeatedly been a letdown at Safety.

The only other change I would make would be to keep Jackson over McMullen. McMullen has two things going for him, size and potential. Both of those are taken care of by Kelly, Thomas, and Fred Davis. You're not really getting much added with McMullen. Sure he's been solid, but at best he's a 4th WR right now, and that's just not necessary with Thomas and Kelly waiting in the wings.

Finally, it's when these decisions are made that you realize how inefficient it is to have a specialty player who only does one thing. Although he's a pro bowler, I think we need to be looking for a replacement for Albright next season. Plenty of other long-snappers in the league are also used at other positions (LB, Linemen, etc), and with depth and injuries being so crippling throughout the season, every roster spot counts.

Posted by: psps23 | August 19, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

If we can find a way to get a push from the Defensive front 4 than the issue of a shut down corner vs a cover 2 corner becomes a bit less prominent.

With Carter and J. Taylor coming off the ends, it should force pressure up the middle.

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | August 19, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

I would not have been bitter about the trade, had we not thrown in a second round pick. They should have given us a second round pick. Corners that good are way harder to find then good running backs.

Posted by: kmdp4 | August 19, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I am Cheyenne, WY and I endorse that message

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | August 19, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Truth, the league changed the rules about corner play too much in the past to make it near impossible to be a full shutdown corner. Back when we had Champ, he was allowed to play a physical game which can't be done today.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 19, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I tend to agree with that psp, but unless Thomas and Kelly show something soon, it is going to have to be 6 wr's for now. So I would stash the guy you dont think will get plucked... that is probably Jackson, then once Thomas and Kelly show something, get Jackson back in the fold and drop MC Mullen. It is a fun game of cat and mouse..

Posted by: Zebra | August 19, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

For anyone who wants to cut Albright, I have two words you for you:

DAN TURK

Posted by: RambleOn | August 19, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Good Morning Everybody,

Looking at Jasno's list, two things jump out at me.

Tryon to me has done absolutely nothing to live up to his billing. His OWN billing I might add.

Secondly, all NFL teams CRAVE a Pass rusher, and they all scout other NFL preseason games. Therefore, I am of the opinion we will NOT be able to keep Jackson a secret on the P Squad. Keep him on the roster, play him on special teams, and put Tryon on the P Squad or cut him altogether.

What do you think?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 19, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Westbrook's return ability? when has he looked good on special teams, ditch him for richardson. and you got to keep rob jackson way more upside than wilson and get rid of fox because springs can play safety

Posted by: Great One | August 19, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

The real reason Champ Bailey left DC is because his ego wouldn't allow him to play his entire career in the shadow of the legend of Darrell Green. Champ had to go somewhere else with no great CB to compare him to, so that fans would believe Champ's self-promoting BS.

It's great fun to see Champ torched on a regular basis. No one deserves it more than him.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 19, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Agreed on C. Bailey,

Never bought into the hype

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | August 19, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

I am with you Ray, Jackson is the dude I am most pulling for. And the irony if we had to cut/p-squad Jackson to make room for journeymen WR b/c our 2 2nd round WRs werent ready...Kind of salt in the wounds further at DE...

Jackson is a 7th round steal, I just know it!

Posted by: chrIS lArry | August 19, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Dump Frost

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | August 19, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

It was obviously time for Champ to move on, and I dont hate on the trade. But man I dont hate on Champ either. Great player, balled for us, played on some dawg azz teams.....lighten up!

Posted by: chrIS lArry | August 19, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Here's my picks for the final 53:

Offense (25):

OL (9): Rabach, Kendall, Thomas, Fabini, Rinehart, Geisinger, Jansen, Samuels, Heyer

RB (3): Portis, Betts, Cartwright

TE (3): Cooley, Yoder, Davis

WR (6): Moss, Randle El, Thrash, Thomas, Kelly, Mix

FB (1): Sellers

QB (3): Campbell, Collins, Brennan

Defense (25):

DT (4): Griffin, Golston, Montgomery, Alexander

DE (5): Taylor, Carter, Evans, James, Wilson

LB (6): Washington, Fletcher, McIntosh, Campbell, Blades, Sinclair

CB (5): Springs, Smoot, Rogers, Torrence, Westbrook

S (5): Landry, Doughty, Fox, Horton, Moore

Special Teams (3): Brooks, Suisham, Albright

Practice Squad (8): Tryon, Richardson, Jackson, Crummey, Devine, Mason, Mann, Washington

Injured Reserve (2): Daniels, Buzbee

Notes:
* It's possible that Mix goes on injured reserve and McMullen makes the squad
* Fox and Thrash are special teams
specialists
* Mason has not shown enough in special teams and blocking to unseat Cartwright. Plus you would have to cut a WR or OL (I don't see the possibility of going with one fewer DE, S, or CB).
* You have to keep a mix of young and old players, because only 45 are active on game day...

Posted by: Siris | August 19, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Hey Chris Larry,
Your assessment of the DE position is quite on.
E James is broken down, and if he doesn't reveal he has FULLY recovered, then you go w/ Jackson and Wilson ...
see my earlier post regarding the league's craving for pass rushers!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 19, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I agree on E James. We have Taylor now, so E James is expendable.

Posted by: Zebra | August 19, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I think Westbrook is a better Corner than Tryon, though he is useless on teams I would rather him as our 4/5 option at CB.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 19, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Siris,

Jackson will never last on the practice squad, and Crummey would also get picked up. Jackson over Wilson he has outplayed him this preseason and he is younger. Plus Jackson can be an evrydown DE, Wilson is pure 3rd down rusher. I would actually let Fabini go and keep Crummey but that is just me.

Posted by: kmdp4 | August 19, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

I would go with Mix over McMullen (or who I like to call McLovin) not because of his WR skills but mostly his special teams skills. Let us not forget the heads up play in Seattle and that forced fumble he caused when tackling a guy on a kick return. I haven't seen anything from McLovin special teams wise.

Posted by: A toss up! | August 19, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Jason,

Isn't there a rule that you can have your third string quarterback on the practice squad, and still have him on the sideline in case of the need to invoke the "Emergency QB" rule? In which, he then comes off the practice squad and is guaranteed a roster spot for the rest of the season. This could provide us with another roster spot.

Posted by: kdubs | August 19, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Keep Jackson on the team and put E. James back on IR if he isn't physically ready to play. Based on Jackson's play, I don't think he will clear waivers to get to the practice squad, and he still could be signed off of there by any other team at any time. Not sure that Wilson will make the team this year - he hasn't shown much since Taylor arrived and hasn't really progressed from last year, which is not good for his playing future. If any one of these three get injured in the next two weeks, it will probably be a quick trip to the IR for 2008.

Posted by: Chumpy | August 19, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Let us all remember too that McLovin has pretty much played only against 2nd and 3rd string guys.

Posted by: A toss up! | August 19, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Hey siris, IR doesn't count against your roster #'s

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 19, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

The problem with the practice squad is that the players on it are essentially free agents. Considering some of the awful QB tandems on several NFL teams, Colt has shown too much and drawn too much attention in pre-season to hide him on the practice squad.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 19, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I guess I should have counted. You don't have it counted against the roster.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 19, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Yes, Chumpy and Chris Larry.

I think some really display a faulty of view of the Practice Squad. You don't use it to hide someone ... those days are over.

I know for a fact NFL teams send their scouts to other NFL preseason games. Jackson would not be hidden for us. He has already been spotted and when NFL teams can get a pass rusher they do it.

Protect the QB, and Pressure the QB.
That is the driving thrust in the NFL.

If we don't want to give up on E James, then perhaps it is the IR for him.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 19, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

kdubs, i dont think so... you would have ARE are the emergency third... he can only play if 1 and 2 go down and those 2 will not be able to play the rest of the game... so Brennan is on the roster or on the PS... he doesnt attend games (maybe home, def not away)

Posted by: Zebra | August 19, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: A toss up! | August 19, 2008 10:20 AM

And Mix hasn't played against anyone.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 19, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: A toss up! | August 19, 2008 10:20 AM

So has McMullen, Mix, Crummey, Geisenger, Horton, Tryon, Jackson, and Sinclair. And Mason has been the best out of that group, by far.

Posted by: psps23 | August 19, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

...if he is on the PS....

Posted by: Zebra | August 19, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kmdp4 | August 19, 2008 10:13 AM

Agree with the first, not with the second.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 19, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

"Joe, the dog house is overstated. Both rook WR's did not pass the Conditioning test Zorn implemented, as well as Smoot.

Posted by: Zebra | August 19, 2008 9:54 AM "

Devin Thomas really didn't make excuses though, he just said he didn't realize it would be that hard and that he had work to do...I don't know how that quote got so twisted.

And people dissing on The Champ can just stop now. Champ's the man. Why yall gotta be bitter?

And yes I feel confident with Carlos out there. Not every player at every position is gonna be a gamebreaker. Rogers is very solid and young. I wanna see him develop as a Redskin.

All I know is we need to keep both Erasmus James and Rob Jackson.

Posted by: The Truth in 1st person | August 19, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

And Mix hasn't played against anyone.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 19, 2008 10:25 AM

He doesn't need to, he's more valuable on special teams which is more important than a 6th wr position that will hardly ever be used unless of injuries. We still have 2 TE's that can used as wr's, Cooley was a lot last year.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 19, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Richardson over Westbrook and Tryon. Tryon needs to be groomed to the NFL game. Both are eligible for the practice squad.

Jackson will not last on the PS. He makes the cut over Wilson depending on James. We should cut James and keep both Jackson and James.

At this point you have to go with McMullen unless Mix shows something in the next two games. His last injury was unfortunate as it was caused by Nemo. But you have to play to stay.

If we keep five safeties I say RD, LL, Horton Moore and Hamilton over Fox.

Agree with Greg on OL. Go younger now. May require us to cross our fingers on injuries, but we have some young OL players that will not last on the PS.

Posted by: Anon the Barbarian | August 19, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Trade either me or Fred Davis.

Posted by: Todd Yoder | August 19, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Is everyone sold on Torrence as a lock over the newcomers - Westbrook, Tyron and Richardson? He seems to miss tackles frequently and seems out of position a lot, despite the playing time and experience.

Also, you have to find a spot for Mason on the 53-man. He has shown far too much promise in the last two pre-seasons to stash him on the practice squad. He'd be plucked quickly by a team, probably an NFC rival.

Posted by: Quinn | August 19, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

We have 3 long term options at DE IMHO:

Option 1: Keep James and let him play at spots for the next two seasons and replace Taylor at retirement, he will be 27 by then and can start for several years, all for a 7th round pick

Option 2: Cut James and use a 1st or 2nd (which we need to trade for) round pick next year to get another DE let them back up for 1 year and see if they can replace Taylor. You can't wait another year to do this as you don't want to start a rookie if you don't have too. If we wait 2 years we will also probably need to trade for a vet so a rookie would be able to develop with a buffer.

Option 3: Hope our other pick ups work out to an every down starters in 2 years. I like 7th rounders, UFA's and un-drafted rookies as much as everyone but the odds are against any of these guys turning into even a Philip Daniels much less than the next JT.

My thoughts:

One thing that I noticed about how the skins seem to like to draft thanks to Gibbs is they dislike being cornered into a particular area of the team to address with top picks (think ST, LaRon and 3 pass catchers). They tend to go BAP.

If we cut James then the need to draft high at DE is overwhelming, and what if there is just not a guy there in the draft that we can get where we are on the board, then we are in a situation.

Would you rather be forced into that kind of spot or be able to look at a bunch of next years rookies for the first pick?

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 19, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Dump westbrook and keep richardson, aint nobody going to pick westbrook up off the p-squad.

Posted by: Great One | August 19, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Goot amake room for Mason...too good to stay on the PS

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | August 19, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Don't see how we can go with Erasmus James as one of our 8 DL and leave both Jackson and Wilson off the roster. It James could go back on PUP to give him more time to rehab and for the Skins to evaluate both Jackson and Wilson. Jackson could end up on our practice squad with Wilson making the squad. Given the age on our DL and Griffin's history of injuries, we need 8 healthy bodies to begin the season.

Posted by: wizfan89 | August 19, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kmdp4 | August 19, 2008 10:13 AM
===========

I am 100% with you on Jackson. He has the chance to be a really solid player in this league. Wilson seems like a one-trick pony, and that trick isn't that great.

I think Jackson is safe. I think the real question is 8 DL (including Jackson) or James or Wilson?

If James shows much of anything I can't see Chris Wilson making the squad.

Posted by: je suis un pizza | August 19, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

We need to keep Yoder until at least the Philadelphia game, so he can knock out Dawkins again.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 19, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Finally a great football thread!!

Ok, here is what I think...

Nevermind, you guys have said it all.

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 19, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I'm a bit late on this but anyone who said Champ wasn't balling for us is crazy. That dude was the best player on the team for just about the whole time he was here. Saying he wasn't that good is ridiculous.

That dude was a shutdown corner in the true sense of the word his last two years here and operated on awful teams with little pass rush and David Terrell as his Safety. David Terrell may have been the worst Redskin of all time.

Posted by: Skinz | August 19, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

David Terrell may have been the worst Redskin of all time.

Posted by: Skinz | August 19, 2008 10:42 AM

Huh?

Posted by: Brandon Lloyd | August 19, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

I think we'll end up with a nice mix of vets and rooks. I don't see fabini going anywhere, but fox is the most interesting since there would be no experienced depth behind the starters. That's hard to envision.

If we keep james and jackson leaves and james does nothing I'll be mad. I'd much rather see them get that 7th back and keep jackson so they can try to find next year's jackson in the 7th.

I don't wanna see rock or mason go, but keeping 4 RBs at the expensive of a guy like jackson or crummey doesn't make sense either.

Posted by: WrongDog | August 19, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Good luck to all the Floridians who are up here!

Posted by: Cindy | August 19, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Alex, we also have the option to keep James, let him recover, and keep Rob Jackson and then we're somewhat set for the DE position for years.

Also an interesting stat I noticed, I'm sure most of you know Eli had 20 picks last year. He also had 23 TD's. Rex Grossman's stats from his Superbowl losing season? 23 TDs and 20 picks.

Posted by: The Truth in 1st person | August 19, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Brandon,

I want to make sure and give you your props, you were bad and no one can ever take that away from you. But you didn't really play THAT much. David Terrell played a lot and was pretty much 2 steps behind every touchdown scored in his 4 years here.

It actually amazes me that he was always in the camera shot when someone scored, just never stopping a score. I'm fairly sure he only had 1 tackle his whole time here and any web stats that say different are just part of the Pro-Terrell media bias.

Posted by: Skinz | August 19, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Say wha???

Posted by: Arch Deluxe | August 19, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

As if you could play in the NFL...pfft.

Posted by: David Terrell | August 19, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

beepbeep

Posted by: Cindy | August 19, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Liar!!

Posted by: Zebra | August 19, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

With all this talk of players being snatched for our practice squad, don't you think the Redskins are targeting other team's players/positions that may be available?

Secondary and O-line immediately come to mind.

Posted by: CBT | August 19, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Gotta agree with the talk on Carlos. I always found it odd that people were treating his return, like he was going to "save" our secondary, when the truth is, he's an average corner, who makes us 3 deep at corner (which is awesome), but shouldn't be starting over Smoot.

Does anyone remember the past 2 years, pre-injury, when CR was giving up 15 yards to his receiver, to ensure he didnt get beat? How he was always in position to make a solid tackle, because he was rarely in position to make a play on the ball? And when he was, he RARELY caught it? Opposing QB's pick on him, for good reason.

C'mon, he's had 2 picks in the last 23 games, and in his first 3 seasons, he's missed 16 games (6 games in '05, 1 game in '06, and 9 last year)Yes there are very few shut down corners in the league, but I'd expect more of a return on the investment of a #9 pick than 32 of 48 possible games played, and 4 int's.

Posted by: Redskins2199 | August 19, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and for comparison...Champ has 21 picks, 304 yards, 3 TDs over the last 3 years

Posted by: Redskins2199 | August 19, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

tryon is gone

Posted by: wheeee | August 19, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

rogers should not start over smoot, smoot drops too many interceptions. i'm sure we all remember week 1 last season (fortunately we still won that game) and the HoF game this preseason (may have been the second preseason game, not sure)

Posted by: wheeee | August 19, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

My 53-man roster:

QBs (3): Campbell, Collins, Brennan

Specialists (3): Suisham, Brooks, Albright

RBs (4): Portis, Betts, Cartwright, Mason

TEs/FB (4): Cooley, Sellers, Yoder, Davis

WRs (6): Moss, Randle El, Thrash, Thomas, Kelly, McMullin

DL (9): Taylor, Golston, Griffin, Carter, Evans, Montgomery, James, Alexander, Jackson

LB (6): Fletcher, Washington, McIntosh, Blades, Campbell, Sinclair

CBs (5): Springs, Rogers, Smoot, Torrence, Richardson

Safeties (4): Landry, Doughty, Moore, Horton

Injured Reserve: Daniels, Buzbee, MIX

Practice squad: Tryon, Westbrook, Goode, Crummey, Hamilton

Posted by: TDawg | August 19, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone go back and check JLaC's 53 man roster guess last year. He was off on a lot of players.

He will def be off on a bunch of players now. Can't play favorites when it ocmes down to the final 53......

Posted by: 4th | August 19, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

What is the conditioning test for the different positions, does anyone know? Would LOVE to know what it is...

Posted by: Joe | August 19, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Champ also gave up a ton of yards and TDs. Shawn Springs has played better for the skins than Champ ever did. Perhaps it was the system, but Champ just doesn't match up well with number one WRs. At least Springs stays with his coverage instead of pretending to slip and fall when beaten ala Champ.

Posted by: je suis un pizza | August 19, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

++++Was out of town, and didn't watch the game, anyone stand out?

Posted by: Greg | August 19, 2008 8:30 AM+++

Yeah. Guy named Favre.

Posted by: Corkczar | August 19, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Wow, real journalism without snarkiness (snarkyness?), nice work Ja Lacaca.

Posted by: Hater | August 19, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Don't need Fox at this point. He looked awful missing tackles on that last Jets drive.
Moore & Horton could do OK in spot duty if Doughty got banged up... if Landry stays hurt then the secondary is in trouble anyways - that dude makes this Skins defense great. Springs versatility may come in handy now that Rogers looks to be back so no need to carry 5 safeties.

What happened to Lorenzo Alexander? Funny how bloke has been an afterthought this preseason compared to last year...

Posted by: el freako | August 19, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

FOUL, Jason -- you listed 54!

The final individual to cut is always the hardest. You overcame that difficulty by including 6 CBs and only counting them as 5.

:-)

Starting with your list, I would cut Fox to get down to 53 and make it legal. I agree with many of your suggestions, in particular your OL list. I really want to add a 9th DL-man and lean towards Boschetti, but I can't for the life of me figure out who else to cut to make room.

Hail To The Redskins!

Posted by: stevea | August 19, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Regarding the Cult of Colt, Coc, CoCo, etc. I suggest Cucolt, if you sophisticates can catch the double entendre.

Posted by: Mr. Chili | August 19, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: el freako | August 19, 2008 12:10 PM

Lorenzo's on JLC's list... Practice squad fodder?

1. Crummey
2. Goode
3. Jackson
4. Richardson
5. Clark

Posted by: BS44 | August 19, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Name me 10, hell even 5 "shut down corners" in the league.

Posted by: The Truth in 1st person | August 19, 2008 9:44 AM
_____________

10 Corners Better Than Rodgers:

Asante Samuels
Ronde Barber
Champ Bailey
Nate Clemens
Marcus Trufant
Nnamdi Asomugha
Charles Woodson
Antonio Cromartie
Lito Sheppard
Al Harris

Posted by: Da Kid 6945 | August 19, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Jansen has been abused in preseason. He should be cut. Fox has been run over repeatedly and also needs to go.

Posted by: Bill | August 19, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

There's absolutely no need to keep 6 WRs, particularly when you have 2 receiving TE's. That's the roster spot many of you are looking to give to Jackson.

GHF

Posted by: Glass Half Full? | August 19, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

My 53-man roster:

QBs (3): Campbell, Collins, Brennan

Specialists (3): Suisham, Brooks, Albright

RBs (4): Portis, Betts, Cartwright, Mason

TEs/FB (4): Cooley, Sellers, Yoder, Davis

WRs (5): Moss, Randle El, Thrash, Thomas, Kelly

OL (10): Samuels, Kendall, Rabach, Thomas, Jansen, Fabini, Heyer, Rinehart, Crummey, Geisinger

LB (6): Fletcher, Washington, McIntosh, Blades, Campbell, Sinclair

CBs (5): Springs, Rogers, Smoot, Torrence, Tryon

Safeties (4): Landry, Doughty, Moore, Horton

Injured Reserve: Daniels, Buzbee, MIX

Practice squad: Richardson, Westbrook, Goode, Hamilton

Posted by: Glass Half Full? | August 19, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Richardson-OUT, Fox - OUT, Horton - IN, McMullen - IN, Thrash - IN, Mix - Practice Squad, ( i know, i know, but with a young "mix" of receivers thrash works with them and we don't have to have big body b/c of rookies, so mix is expendable ) Sinclair - BIG BUBBLE but may squeeze in due to injuries!!! MASON - IN!!!!!! ( i hope )

Posted by: CLEGG | August 19, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I like Hamilton. I think he's good Practice Squad candidate, especially with a lack of potential depth at safety depending upon if Fox is kept ( i hope not ) and Horton plays.. Hamilton is a smart player.

Posted by: CLEGG | August 19, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Sinclair could definitely be an intriguing guy if we could get him on the practice squad. That could open up a spot for someone more likely be signed by another team.

Posted by: GHF | August 19, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Second Bill's post on Jansen except we've got no one who is healthy that could play as well (or as poorly) on the roster. We need to find out this year if Heyer can play RT as a starter long-term or if we need to use a high draft pick next year.

I think it's a given that Fox will be cut since Moore and Horton have shown a lot during the preseason. He's probably being kept as insurance until we know when Landry will be able to play. Don't be surprised if the Skins cut Fox and pick up an experienced safety who is let go by another team later in the preseason.

Posted by: wizfan89 | August 19, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I am as big an Andrew Crummey fan as there is, have loved what he has done in the pre-season and his years as a Terp... but there is virtually no chances--outside a slew of injuries to the O-line--that he makes the opening day roster. He is destined for the practice squad, my friends.

Posted by: OG Barno | August 19, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I think a big move might be to let Cartwright go and keep another 1st year player that has a more up side future..Devin is a Kickoff returner and Mason could jump in there too. I think Rock is great but at some point you must build. Fox will go because Springs can help ther if needed..

Posted by: DKskinsfan | August 19, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

CoC rock on! \m/

Posted by: Shock | August 19, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone else have an Albright Jersey?

Posted by: OdinUSMC | August 19, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

your roster match is screwed up. You list 6 CB's by name instead of your count of 5. Also, there is no way they keep Sellers as the only FB. I dont know why the media thinks they should keep 4 RB's. They should not. Finding a 3rd or 4th RB is not difficult when the time comes.

Posted by: TC in Bowie | August 19, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

What about Boschetti on the DL -- he was a beast in the Jets game -- though he did have that one penalty

Posted by: GoSkins | August 19, 2008 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Better keep Crummey OL, Jackson DL (even though you keep Eras. James), I like McMullen over Mix or Thrash. I can let go of Vernon Fox saftey.

Better keep Mason (RB).

Thrash, Mix, maybe even Alexander (DL) pass waivers on to taxi squad. Alexander and Evans and Wilson they can all probably stash, but James and Jackson (DE's) have to get an initial spot due to pass rushing skillz. You can't roll dice on Crummey, McMullen, Jackson, Mason, passing through waiver wire period before taxi/practice squad.

Posted by: DTC | August 20, 2008 7:07 AM | Report abuse

i believe champ left before gibbs #2. the reason he left had to do with the ever changing head coach from snyder. i still beleive the skins got the bad end of that deal. we should have gotten draft picks instead of giving them for portis.

Posted by: rls1041 | August 20, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

i see carlos getting burned more than anyone.

Posted by: rls1041 | August 20, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Mason is a very nice looking RB, but we need depth on the OL more. Keep Wade, put Mason on the practice squad. If he gets picked up, so be it. Plenty of RBs always available on the street. Final WR cut will be a tough choice, maybe put Mix on IR?

Can't see cutting Wilson at DE. Go with 4 safeties instead. Jackson to Practice squad.

Posted by: AAA | August 20, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

GHF

Posted by: Glass Half Full? | August 19, 2008 1:16 PM

Good point. Our WRs do seem injury prone, but we can only dress four for games anyway.

Posted by: AAA | August 20, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Fox is gone (he is 29 don't you think he would have done something by now)and Chris Horton Stays. It won't be long before he takes over Doughty's spot. They need to find a way to keep Jackson (James too injury proned) Find a way to get Mason some carries. Wade is gone. Trade Portis and Betts for Adrian Peterson. Trade all 3 Qb's for Brady or P. Manning. Trade the receivers and go after R. Moss, Braylon Edwards, Torry Holt, Steve Smith, and Andre Jonson

Posted by: Anonymous | August 21, 2008 1:05 AM | Report abuse

I think McMullen is the heart-breaker this season. Mix over McMullen. #6 receiver isn't much of a factor on offense, McMullen's issues with dropping balls away from his body mean that he's not a big target in spite of his height, #6 WR is really a teams position and Mix is a teams stand-out. Add in chemistry with the QB from years at Auburn make Mix a keeper and McMullen a tease at WR but not a roster guy.

Also no way they keep Cartwright and Westbrook. Neither is who you want starting. Aside from Cartwrights 70 yard run against a major blitz emptying the defensive backfield where he was caught from behind I don't think Cartwright's preseason is impressive. He gets you 1 or 2 yards much more often than 70, he's not getting positive yards after contact, and he's not averaging consistent yards per carry. Take the 70 yarder out and he's pretty weak. Mason is the better RB. The ONLY business case to keep Cartwright is as a returner. Surprised they aren't actually looking at other guys for returns. The current draft picks had success in college as returners, and Betts has a decent NFL resume as a kick returner.

Posted by: pgrayson | August 21, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Some of your roster guys are probably not going to be ...

Yoder: Cooley, Davis and Sellers can all play TE and are good at it. Only an issue is you want a 2TE formation with a FB and Cooley of Davis is hurt. Frankly you could just put Fabini in at TE assuming that would be a short-yardage lineup. I like Yoder ... but I like Sonny also ... doesn't mean he should be on the roster.

Fox: Springs can do safety in a pinch and playing your #4 safety is a pinch situation

Cartwright: admiration society protests aside ... Cartwright isn't as good at RB as Mason. If other player on the roster can be the regular return guy Cartwright isn't the right RB to keep.

McMullen: agree with the guy above if you keep 6 WR's the #6 WR is a teams position and Mix is the guy for that.

Posted by: brokenstriker | August 21, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse