Albert Haynesworth: The transcript

Given the late ending of the game, and all the scrambling to get the news of Albert Haynesworth's rant into at least some newspapers, the Insider somehow was left without a Haynesworth-only post in the aftermath (save the poll below). To fix that problem, we offer the transcript of No. 92's question-and-answer session with the media at his locker following the Redskins' 23-3 loss to Baltimore.

How did you feel out there?: "Felt good, going out in the third quarter."

What happened this week, with missing practice?: "I don't know. I got told I had 'headaches,' or whatever, and that's why I couldn't go out and practice. I think it was a little bit more than that. I guess they didn't want to disclose it."

What more did you have?: "You'll have to ask them, but I'll guess they'll tell you 'headaches' again."

So it wasn't headaches?: "It was part of it, but it wasn't all of it. They left out a whole lot of stuff."

What other symptoms did you have?: "You ask them."

Why would they intentionally mislead people?: "I don't know. I guess to make themselves look good, make me look bad for not going to their offseason conditioning program, but I mean next year I'm not coming either. I'm going to be with my trainer again and I'll get back in the same shape I am and feel good about myself."

A Redskins staffer then says, "Last question."

Do you think they're still holding it against you that you didn't come to the off-season program?: "Yeah, I think so. It's all right. I don't care. I'm a football player. I know I can still play the game. As long as I get this defense down, I'll be all right."

How did you feel about your time in the game tonight?: "It was all right. Third quarter, though? I'm a ninth-year pro. I don't think I should've been out there in the third quarter. But for having 'headaches' again, that's what they wanted to do."

And then the interview is cut off, and Haynesworth is ushered away.

By Barry Svrluga  |  August 22, 2010; 11:50 AM ET
Categories:  3-4 defense , Albert Haynesworth
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Poll: Do you believe Haynesworth?
Next: Portis seems likely to remain top running back

Comments

"If you're right, then Shanahan is as big a fool as Albert."

There seems to be some point in the future where these guys--Shanahan/Prince Al--are going to have a complete meltdown.

Moving AH now--if there are any takers--would serve the singular purpose of taking away a potentially very, very, very negative sideshow.

Move the guy asap, and don't get too caught up in trying to get high value for a low character guy..

We used to say, "Leave Albert Be."

Now, Albert needs just to be someplace else.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 22, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

this is like the Superbowl for reporters. Controversy sells and they are foaming at the mouth. #92 stories to follow....Can't wait till the halftime show.

Posted by: MajorFacemask | August 22, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Coach has the right to play a player when and where he wants to. The player has a right to right to be upset about play time and or position. Both should keep the feud in-house and out of the media. Albert needs to be a professional, play the role he's asked to do, and play as hard as he can.

Posted by: TWISI | August 22, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Dear WAPO reporters:

Whereas we know Albert Haynesworth is an interesting personality for you, perhaps abit of review and intelligent commentary of last night's icky team performance would do.

Did you guys interview any other players?

Any reflections from the coaches you'd like to elaborate on or share?

Any personal analysis of what you saw?

Is AH's not playing more important to post than, say, snarky commentary about Jim Zorn's Gatorade shower?

What thoughts are there regarding Larry Johnson looking as slow as, well, his grandma-ma?

How's that receiver battle going?

Finally, after two samples, it looks like the redskin linebackers are slow, and A Carter completely out of place: any thoughts about that?

There's a lot more to discuss than the sullen soap opera that is Albert Haynesworth.

Trust me.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 22, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

"Tony Romo was 4-of-11 passing for 30 yards with a touchdown and an interception, finishing with a rating of just 37.3."

--NFL.com

If I were a Dallas fan, I'd be worried. Isn't Romo like their starting QB?

Posted by: beep-beep | August 22, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

"And then the interview is cut off, and Haynesworth is ushered away."

Ushered away where? Witness protection? Gitmo? You gotta believe that Snyder has some connections that would allow him to have AH renditioned.

I hate to admit it, but this pi$$ing contest between AH and Shanahan is compelling and who doesn't like to have a hard a$$ coach for a change? The Redskins might still post a losing record this season, but at least you know that an adult is in charge.

Posted by: Ebola_22039 | August 22, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

"Donovan McNabb completed 11 of 26 passes for 206 yards with one interception for the Redskins (1-1). He frequently threw behind receivers and often was pressured by a Ravens defense that took advantage of a Redskins offensive line that has three new starters."

-nfl.com

he-he-he. donovan mcturdd is what you thought (feared?) he was! philly trash! 9/12.

Posted by: 10peterbilt | August 22, 2010 12:14 PM

Posted by: 10peterbilt | August 22, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Now, Albert needs just to be someplace else.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 22, 2010 12:00 PM

I'm guessing that you've never actually paid a man a $21 million bonus, right? I could see where someone who has written such a check might be reluctant to move the guy before he gets something back for his investment.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 22, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I don't get it, Willie Parker is a Super Bowl champion and he was out there in the third quarter... Albert Haynesworthless is a nothing.

Posted by: narielnasl | August 22, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

ahhh. just as MrIrvin88 predicted. the apologists are working overtime to make the sting go away. the Ravens blitzed last night because blitzing is a large part of their defensive scheme, just like the Jets blitzed a lot against the Giants in their preseason game. Ravens ran a trick play because they probably run more trick plays than any other team in the nfl. you people are a joke. stop making yourselves feel better about a dog team! you're embarrassing your families!

redtards got their candyasses whupped from a to z! starters outscored 13-3. suggs made your prized rookie williams look like a flimsy ragdoll. donovan mcgutt should have finished with three picks. good thing he's been going to church every sunday. anybody still think andre carter is a linebacker? the locker room is splitting over haynesworth.

at least you've got the first overall pick in 2011 to look forward to.

btw, two real championship-caliber teams played last night:

cowboys 16
chargers 14

We're A-M-E-R-I-C-A'S T-E-A-M!!

Posted by: 10peterbilt | August 22, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

repost:

I think John Thompson nailed it a while ago. "Do you want to beat Albert Haynesworth or Dallas?"

This battle of wills has no winners. Albert has 24 million dollars and a contract, so Shanny can dance on Alberts head all he wants, be Al knows he has the leverage. Especially when you see how are D line has pretty much failed so far in preseason, particularly at NT.

If you are the head coach, you have to ask yourself "Is what I am doing working with Albert?" Clearly, the answer is No. So perhaps a change of tactics is in order here.

Do you want to win? Because this is not how you do it. If you are so adamantly principled, then cut him for the benefit of unity in the locker room, but that WILL hurt the performance of the D. If your number one goal is to WIN, then you have to stop treating him like a Bytch and find a way to work with him.

Those are the ONLY options: get him out of here or work with him. Period.

I could care less about who is "right" here, because they are BOTH acting out of arrogant spite at this point.

Enough.

Posted by: edvar | August 22, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

he just doesn't get it. He'll be never bigger then the team or the game and he can't get over that.

The team didn't look too good against the Ravens but I hope it brings some of you back down to earth. In the NFC East it's gonna be like that every week

Posted by: overzealous08 | August 22, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Get rid of him first thing Monday morning. He's a spreading cancer.

Posted by: Hoss3 | August 22, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

We're A-M-E-R-I-C-A'S T-E-A-M!!

Posted by: 10peterbilt | August 22, 2010 12:18 PM

10peterbilt = MrIrvin88's fluffer

Posted by: creativefunk | August 22, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Albert's MAD!!!

Is that a bad thing? If he's happy, then fat and dumb are in the house, too.

I'd rather have Albert with a chip on his shoulder -- he needs something to motivate him.

Right now, he's gotta prove Shanahan wrong. Its definitely personal. Plus, Albert knows Shanahan/Danny might still try to get back a chunk of that $21million check if he gets too far out of line.

As to the specifics of Albert's comments, teams don't always tell the public exactly what's going with a player. Being vague or even misleading is part of coaching in the NFL. As a vet, Albert knows this.

I've said it before ... I want Albert on the team on opening day -- and don't care if he's happy. In fact, a pi$$ed of Albert with something to prove is just fine with me.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 22, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

So if AH had more issues other than headaches, WHY DOESN'T HE SAY SOMETHING! Every other player discusses his injuries. Come'on big AL, tell us what's wrong with ya!

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | August 22, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

This is the worst f'n kind of guy in a locker room. He will be a total cancer all season. Got to dump his fat a$$ and attitude NOW and move on. Maybe Danny can write off the loss on his corporate income tax!

Posted by: bg1fan1 | August 22, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | August 22, 2010 12:04 PM |

Don't hold your breath, unless you like the color blue.

Asking Butterworth to behave like a responsible adult is asking too much. And I don't know why so many people think Shanny is being a pig headed jerk for not starting him. You don't practice, you don't start. It applies to everyone. Who cares if the fat boy blows up over it.

Posted by: NYPDee | August 22, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bg1fan1 | August 22, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Not upset with yesterday's events. For me, the real issue was the 1st team defense, and the Ravens didn't do much against it.

But for those who want a little pick me up:

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 22, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Zeke, much better. If only you could bottle that and sell it as a hangover remedy...

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 22, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Danny can write off the loss on his corporate income tax!

Posted by: bg1fan1 | August 22, 2010 12:36 PM

He can, whether Haynesworth plays or not, so that doesn't really solve anything. Players salaries are always a deductible business expense.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 22, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm more worried about Maake than AH. I've yet to hear anyone say anything positive about his performance. Is he going to be a weak spot instead of a strength on that line?

Posted by: NYPDee | August 22, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

In shanny's press conference he said Albert has to EARN his way onto the field with the starters. I think if Andre Carter did the same thing Albert did (missing conditioning, complaining etc) he would be out with the backups as well. This guy is "me-first"...he'd be a perfect cowboy

Posted by: BurgwithaU | August 22, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

"I'm a football player."

Jason.

He said "professional" football player.

I had to laugh at him when he said that, glad you left that word out.

"I'm guessing that you've never actually paid a man a $21 million bonus, right?"

The guy is clearly not going with the program, there's no point keeping him here any longer. That money is gone either way, and Fat Al is not living up to his end of the deal so they may as well cut ties.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | August 22, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: beep-beep | August 22, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

10peterbilt, the only one embarrassing his family on here is you, you effing fool...It is preseason after all and the object is to not only hone your skills but identify issues and try to correct them during the week. You are a complete and utter idiot who simply cannot resist commenting on this blog when surely there's gotta be some other blogs that would interest you. Or maybe your just a little sissy who gets his jollies off trying to upset a fan base that is loyal and passionate. Maybe your mama breast fed you too long? 10, 12 years old? I hear that is the norm in the great state of Ta'haas...

Posted by: rclangley | August 22, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

What's missing here? Somebody chased Haynesworth as he was walking to his car, continuing to prod, and the gift that keeps on giving laid some more golden eggs. J Reid, why don't you add the remarks that Haynesworth provided out in the parking lot? What you've posted here is pure vanilla and might lead some to wonder what all the fuss is about. Haynesworth didn't make his most inflammatory statements until he was outside the range of Redskins officials. Albert Haynesworth could have used a good media coach, but the damage is already done. This tragicomedy is nearing its final act, the part when everybody dies.

Posted by: dannykurland1 | August 22, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 22, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse
=========================================
I think that Larry Johnson would out run our Larry Johnson.

Posted by: clark202 | August 22, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

So to summarize your detailed explananion of what really happened to Fat Albert beyond those "head aches" in common American. Washed up old footballer eats himself out of shape in off season and refuses to participate in coaches conditioning program. When washed up old footballer comes to camp his dissolute body responds poorly to conditioning and causes him to have to require a timeout so he could sit in a cornor. Hell Shannahan should have run him till he dropped dead. The world would have been better off.

Posted by: alw1 | August 22, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I am so G%# D*^%@ sick of Fat Albert's belly acheing the I might throw up too.
If this prima dona had shown up for camp and PROPERLY conitioned himself this latest flap wouldn't be happening.
I say continue to pay him and tell him he is no longer welcomed at Redskins Park for the rest of his contract period.
HE SUCKS!!! Let him BEG to come back and then tell him to F off.

Posted by: pd2710 | August 22, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

I am so G%# D*^%@ sick of Fat Albert's belly acheing the I might throw up too.
HE SUCKS!!! Let him BEG to come back and then tell him to F off.

Posted by: pd2710 | August 22, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

There is no pissing contest between Shanahan and AH, Shanahan has set the rules for the Skins to follow and the consequences if you don't, AH is just an overpaid jerk who thinks he is above the rest of the team and does not have to follow any rules. Shanahan is a focused guy with a structured plan that he believes his team will need to follow if they are to become winners. AH is just a pain in the ass, like a spoiled brat giving the school-teacher a hard-time. No there is no pissing contest, just a jerk acting up and a bunch of reporters (I used that term loosely - my apologies to real reporters) who get a kick of enticing this jerk to act-up.

Posted by: hock1 | August 23, 2010 1:14 AM | Report abuse

RIck RICK RICKY

Posted by: sdh5568 | August 23, 2010 3:40 AM | Report abuse

Thank you, Sally Jenkins, for straightening out the insanity of Mike Wise's perspective on Fat Albert! Those who think appeasing Haynesworth, for the sake of winning now, are myopic. Shanny is the real "wise" man. Let him do his job!

Posted by: stevesuders | August 23, 2010 4:31 AM | Report abuse

Why is everybody giving Shanahan a pass? I think Shanahan approach to this whole thing is as much of a distraction as Haynesworth himself. Why is the head coach feuding with Haynesworth in the media? What is the intent, to humiliate the player at every chance? Woo, cry baby refuse to practice because of headaches. I am wondering which doctor diagnosed Haynesworth with Rhabdomyolysis because if it were team doctors Mike Shanahan should have known it was more than just headaches.

Posted by: spades72 | August 23, 2010 6:04 AM | Report abuse

"Shanahan is much to be blamed. I think Haynesworth have every right to react the way he did. If you are going come out publicly and put me in the spotlight as being soft or lazy for skipping practice because of headaches when they were other known factors, then the truth must be told. As it turned out Haynesworth was justified for missing practice because of the potential danger of his illness"

Co-sign 100%. And for the record, I don't understand why everybody is so up in arms from Albert's comment. I did not find anything in the transcript that was inflamatory to the degree everybody is commenting on.

Posted by: dbailey211 | August 23, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse