Bears' offensive line is a work in progress

Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler has been sacked a league-leading 23 times, including 15 times in his last two games. The Redskins are tied for 11th in the league with 13 sacks.

"You always want to try to get as much pressure as you can, especially against a good quarterback like Cutler," outside linebacker Lorenzo Alexander said. "They've had some [pass-protection] problems, but we know they'll be ready for us."

Cutler was sacked nine times and suffered a concussion during a 17-3 loss to the New York Giants in Week 4. After sitting out the Bears' Week 5 victory over Carolina, he started - and was sacked six times - in their Week 6 loss to Carolina.

Despite being battered early this season, Cutler is holding up "pretty good," he said the other day during a conference call with reporters who cover the Redskins. "I had a concussion a couple of weeks ago. But other than that, I feel good."

With the Bears' line undergoing an overhaul, things have been difficult for him at times, Cutler said.

"Yes, absolutely," he said. "We have two young guys on the right side and a whole overhaul on the left side. Those guys are trying to gel together and mesh; all the while we are still playing games. We are still trying to punch the ball downfield and get a running game. It is kind of a work in progress."

By Jason Reid  | October 21, 2010; 1:15 PM ET
Categories:  3-4 defense
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Poll: Who would you like at Redskins QB?
Next: New homes suit Mike Shanahan and Jay Cutler

Comments

I think you meant their week 6 loss to the Seahawks.

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | October 21, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

So they played Carolina in weeks 5 AND 6? Strange!

Posted by: iubiquity | October 21, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Bears' offensive line is a work in progress

Finally, we face a team with a similar weakness.

I'd say the bears have an edge in the return game, but we have one at quarterback.

Both teams' wide receivers are evenly mediocre.

Forte is better than Torain.

Kyle calls a better game than Martz, a guy who has been outed as a fraud now that Faulk, Warner, Holt, Bruce, and Hakeem have all moved on.

I say skins win.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 21, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Same strategy every week for this defense. Blitz just enough to keep the other guy guessing and put Orakpo over the weakest link. Even if they doulbe Orakpo, there will be plenty of pressure.

This may be a game wehre Andre Carter gets to play DE a bunch. The rap on him is he struggles against the run in a 3-4 -- not big enough to hold down his side of the line. But chi doesn't run much or well.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 21, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

JReid, go back to your specious "sources" for more info. Or rather, create more of these mysterious people.

Posted by: iubiquity | October 21, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I say skins win.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 21, 2010 1:29 PM

I like their chances of winning better this week than next week.

Posted by: TWISI | October 21, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Damn...can a brother get a beep beep around here?

Posted by: PlayAction | October 21, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

*Ham on Rye
*Turkey on Whole Wheat
*Chicken Salad
*None - He'd probably eat it before you
had a chance to touch it anyway!

Posted by: monk811 | October 21, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

What no Reuben? That would be my choice, or a Turkey, ham, bacon, and avacado on sourdough. Now that's a sammyvich.

Posted by: Devo2 | October 21, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Cutler, "I had my brains scrambled a couple of weeks ago. But other than that, I feel good."

Posted by: PlayAction | October 21, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Devo2 | October 21, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Hey, you don't like my Poll? Then go make your own!!!

Now I know how Jason Reid feels!

Posted by: monk811 | October 21, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't this post on ESPN and PFT already?

Posted by: Devo2 | October 21, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Come on guys, this is FOOTBALL, a helmet is going to touch another one, it's inevitable. Just weed out the dirty players and the malicious hits.

Posted by: monk811 | October 21, 2010 12:34 PM

Could you imagine if everyone who got into a fender bender had their license suspended for 3, 6, 12 months? Wait...that's not a bad idea!

Posted by: PlayAction | October 21, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

How's I miss this post?

That is a good idea, you should run for office!

Posted by: monk811 | October 21, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Hey, you don't like my Poll? Then go make your own!!!

Now I know how Jason Reid feels!

Posted by: monk811 | October 21, 2010 1:50 PM

Haha...when is your next Haynesworth post monk?

Has the monestary upgraded from the rabbit ears to cable or satellite yet? I guess I'll be hitting the local pub sunday...get to hang out with the Ravens LOSERS yay!!! At least they're at home...so alot of the LOSERS will be at the game.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 21, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't this post on ESPN and PFT already?

Posted by: Devo2 | October 21, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Yes, except both of them had far more accurate and relevant info. I am not a Florio fan, but you know how he has the "Days since last NFL arrest" ticker?

We should start a "Consecutive Reid posts with a glaring error" ticker.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | October 21, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Must have been the same NERDs that programmed this show in place of the skins for me this weekend...

Legend of the Seeker - Eternity
HD, Repeat, TV14)
Richard and Kahlan discover the Stone of Tears is hidden in a magical land they cannot leave; a reunion lures Cara and Zedd into a deadly confrontation.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 21, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Wow, that sux! I can't wait for you to share your thoughts about the movie on Monday while we are talking about the big victory in Chi-town!
You could always come over to the monastery with me and drink some Bud!

Posted by: monk811 | October 21, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

"Poll: If you could trade Albert Hayensworth for a sandwich, which sandwich would it be?

*Ham on Rye
*Turkey on Whole Wheat
*Chicken Salad
*None - He'd probably eat it before you
had a chance to touch it anyway!"

Posted by: monk811 | October 21, 2010 12:50 PM

None of the above. But if it was a green chili cheeseburger, an oyster po' boy from Johnny's Half Shell, or an authentic Philly cheese steak, well, that's another matter . . .

Posted by: rufus_t_firefly | October 21, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Haha...when is your next Haynesworth post monk?

Posted by: PlayAction | October 21, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

The monastery has upgraded to an HD Flatscreen TV, and the fridge is stocked up with Bud. Just tell anyone, those 'donations' were supposed to go to something dumb, like charity or something!

Cool, the less Ravens NERDS at the bar the better!

Posted by: monk811 | October 21, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Poll:

could lichtensteiger start fir the bears?

should licky start for the skins

let's "skin the bears"

ooooooooooh

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 21, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

That is a good idea, you should run for office!

Posted by: monk811 | October 21, 2010 1:54 PM

No thanks...imagine all of the constituents that I would have to deal with every day...people like hessone and beep-beep...and you can't just log off!

Posted by: PlayAction | October 21, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

We should start a "Consecutive Reid posts with a glaring error" ticker.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | October 21, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

That wouldn't work, EVERY Reid post has a glaring error! At least he's perfect at something!

Posted by: monk811 | October 21, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Poll:

could lichtensteiger start fir the bears?

should licky start for the skins

no, Dock is still my choice, just get him to drop some LB's and Shanahan will use him again.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 21, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | October 21, 2010 2:02 PM

OK, I won't tell anyone... haha

Almost have my prediction ready...it will be unveiled 10am tomorrow morning...right here on Redskins Insider!

Posted by: PlayAction | October 21, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth is hungry.

Bears O-Line is terrible.

The Redskins are healthy.

McNabb is going home.

Cutler is toast.

Posted by: iH8dallas | October 21, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

That is a good idea, you should run for office!

Posted by: monk811 | October 21, 2010 1:54 PM

Posted by: PlayAction | October 21, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

You're right, and you would also have to deal with those Dallas trolls as well, and everyone knows they are just LOSERS!

Posted by: monk811 | October 21, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Redskins v. Bears brings back a ton o' memories.

It's 1985, y'all:

Favorite Bear?: Walter Payton

Favorite memory?: D Green returning a kick in overtime for the win.

Best FA?: Wilbur Marshall

Most Hated Bear?: Jim McMahon

Most Respected Bear (outside of #34): Mike Singletary

Biggest Joke of a Bear: William "The Refrigerator" Perry

Smoothest Bear: Willie Gault

Best Hitting Bear: Gary Fencik, Doug Plank, and some dude named Jeff Fisher.

Maybe you've heard of him.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 21, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Really a key game on the schedule for this team. Can't lose the games we're supposed to win.

To make the playoffs, the Skins needed to win their parity games and play .500 in the division. They could afford losses to GB, Minn and Indy, provided they did well (4-1) vs what I think of as the gang of 5 -- tough but winnable games outside the division: Tenn, Hou, Jax, Det and Chi.

We beat GB and lost to Indy, one game better than needed. But we lost a parity game to StL, so back to even. 2-0 so far in the division, 1 game ahead of where we need to be. If we can split the remaining division games, we're still competitive for the playoffs.

But we lost to Houston, which means we realistically, we can only lose 1 more game vs the gang of 5. Still to go, Det, Chi, Jax and Tenn. Don't like our odds vs Tenn, but I think we can win the rest.

Split the remaining division games, beat Tampa (not as easy as it was supposed to be), Det, Jax, Chi -- lose to Minn, Tenn. 9-7.

fwiw, I do think both philly and nyg are in good shape. nyg is past their games with Indy and Tenn -- but hasn't played a division game yet. philly nailed their parity games vs ATL and SF. Their losses, to us and GB, aren't killers -- but they still have most of the gang of 5 to deal with + 5 division games.

As best as I can tell, nyg looks to be the most complete team in the division. Solid QB, good running, good passing and good defense. Their punter, however, sucks.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 21, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | October 21, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

It wouldn't happen to be 27-24 Skins would it?

Posted by: iH8dallas | October 21, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | October 21, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Ok, can't wait for the SURPRISE!

Watch out for those Ravens fans, they can get cocky, especially when drunk! I should know, I lived with one for a couple of years!

Posted by: monk811 | October 21, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

*Ham on Rye
*Turkey on Whole Wheat
*Chicken Salad
*None - He'd probably eat it before you
had a chance to touch it anyway!

Posted by: monk811 | October 21, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

The favorite of Arty from "The Larry Sanders Show"

Ham and Bourbon sammich.

Posted by: TheCork | October 21, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth is hungry.

Bears O-Line is terrible.

The Redskins are healthy.

McNabb is going home.

Cutler is toast.

Posted by: iH8dallas | October 21, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth - "Toast? I get toast with my Cutlet? Yum!!!"

Posted by: monk811 | October 21, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

We should start a "Consecutive Reid posts with a glaring error" ticker.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty

I would have preferred a "Days since last Albert Haynesworth post".

Posted by: Predator48 | October 21, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Redskins v. Bears brings back a ton o' memories.

It's 1985, y'all:

Favorite Bear?: Walter Payton

Favorite memory?: D Green returning a kick in overtime for the win.

Best FA?: Wilbur Marshall

Most Hated Bear?: Jim McMahon

Most Respected Bear (outside of #34): Mike Singletary

Biggest Joke of a Bear: William "The Refrigerator" Perry

Smoothest Bear: Willie Gault

Best Hitting Bear: Gary Fencik, Doug Plank, and some dude named Jeff Fisher.

Maybe you've heard of him.

Posted by: MistaMoe

Good calls. Payton was pure class. Richard Dent was a beast at DE, too.

Not much of a passing game and Gibbs figured out that 3 WRs were a problem for that defense -- and we took them out in 1986 playoffs when everyone had them repeating. Art Monk, 2 TDs. Monk beat a guy (Richardson?) who'd given up only 1 TD all year. Jacoby played with that club of his.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 21, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

@PlayAction

do me a favor, leave me out of your post from now on

ITA

Posted by: hessone | October 21, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

It wouldn't happen to be 27-24 Skins would it?

Posted by: iH8dallas | October 21, 2010 2:17 PM

Can't say yet...its a surprise...but is that your prediction iH? I don't wanna be a copycat!

Posted by: PlayAction | October 21, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | October 21, 2010 2:18 PM

Oh man...if they are rolling over the Bills...and the skins are down...its gonna get nasty...ughhhh.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 21, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Jacoby played with that club of his.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 21, 2010 2:24 PM |

Looked like a giant Q-Tip. He joked that when they wrapped that hand, Jake held a 5 pound weight in it to add a little "How's your father?".

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 21, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 21, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

That's why he was my favorite player, he could step up when he needed to!

I'm proud to say that Walter Payton's last game was played against us, it was in the playoffs and he didn't have that good of a game. I hate to see legends go out like that, oh well, f*ck em'!

Posted by: monk811 | October 21, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

@PlayAction
do me a favor, leave me out of your post from now on
ITA

Posted by: hessone | October 21, 2010 2:25 PM

No problem...as long as you promise to stop reading my posts.

Can't believe I finally got an ITA from you...yes!!!

Posted by: PlayAction | October 21, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | October 21, 2010 2:18 PM

Ravens fan getting cocky is like a mentally challenged individual dropping obscure trivia on you.

I lived in downtown Baltimore for a few years for work. It's like DC on weed. Instead of being cut off in traffic by a Benz or a Beamer, it's more often than not a jacked-up Jeep or an IROC.

I don't think the people in Baltimore realize that tucking their purple Ray-Ray jersey into their skin-tight, black, acid wash jeans is a fashion fau pax.

That said, it does go well with the pressed in mustache and the full-blown mullet.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 21, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

zcezcest1 nicely done.

Posted by: TWISI | October 21, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | October 21, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

You're only hope is the CBS Tower 'mysteriously' loses signal and they can't watch the game. For the right price it could happen!

I think you'd better apologize to Hessone, he seems p*ssed at you!

Posted by: monk811 | October 21, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Redskins v. Bears brings back a ton o' memories.

It's 1985, y'all:

Favorite Bear?: Walter Payton

Favorite memory?: D Green returning a kick in overtime for the win.

Best FA?: Wilbur Marshall

Most Hated Bear?: Jim McMahon

Most Respected Bear (outside of #34): Mike Singletary

Biggest Joke of a Bear: William "The Refrigerator" Perry

Smoothest Bear: Willie Gault

Best Hitting Bear: Gary Fencik, Doug Plank, and some dude named Jeff Fisher.

Maybe you've heard of him.

Posted by: MistaMoe

Favorite nickname for a Bear:

"Jim McMahon that punk doofus", Tony Kornheiser circa 1991.

Posted by: Predator48 | October 21, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Richard Dent was a beast at DE, too.

Richard Dent was more like a defensive end from this era than the last.

Dude was a player.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 21, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Beeps

Posted by: PlayAction | October 21, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 21, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

That's a good analogy, but I think they are more like the monkeys at the zoo that throw their sh*t at you: they have no idea what they are doing, they are good at pulling things outta their azz, they don't care who gets hit with the sh*t they throw, they won't remember it 10 minutes from now, and they don't mind humping each other in public places.

Posted by: monk811 | October 21, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Cutler holds the ball too long, signed Orakpo (4 second man)

Posted by: ElYeah | October 21, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 21, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I usually like your analysis but you are missing something here. The best games we can lose are the AFC games. Right now we are looking great at 2-0 Div and 3-1 in Conference.

IMO we should not look anymore at what games are "Winnable" or "Tough". This year with this team every game is a coin flip. We should focus first on Div second on conference. If we take care of business in that order we make the playoffs.

If we are going to lose anymore games I hope they start and stop with Jax and Ten. I could not care less what the pundits say about losing to inferior teams.

Beast Win > NFC Win > AFC Win