Doughty, Horton audition for safety job

With projected starting free safety Kareem Moore out four to six weeks after injuring his knee last week against Baltimore, the Redskins coaching staff must choose between Reed Doughty and Chris Horton, two strong safeties by trade, to start for Moore on opening night.
Doughty got the start Friday against the Jets and didn't come up with huge statistics or big plays, but he said that comes with playing free safety.
"It's just different playing free safety because you're not in action every single play," said Doughty, who finished with three tackles -- all solo.
"We kept things in front of us and we got off the field on third down."
The longest pass play for the Jets came on a 23-yard connection between Mark Sanchez and Santonio Holmes. The Redskins' secondary held the Jets to just 146 passing yards.
Horton finished with five total tackles, two solo, including one on special teams.
Doughty saw time at free safety earlier in his career but in 15 games last season, including seven starts, he played strong safety. The same goes for Horton, who appeared in 22 games, including 15 starts, at strong safety in his first two seasons in the NFL.

By Jorge Castillo  |  August 28, 2010; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  3-4 defense  | Tags: Chris Horton, Reed Doughty
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rex Grossman feeling comfortable in Redskins offense
Next: Devin Thomas gets his chance "to shine" next week

Comments

It was hard to feel super-confident about the FS position even with Kareem back there. Now it's Doughty and the Predator... sheesh.

Don't get me wrong. Anybody but LaRon back there makes me feel better about FS than I did last year. And I think we're better off at safety than some other units. But still... worry lingers...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 28, 2010 2:47 AM | Report abuse

But still... worry lingers...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 28, 2010 2:47 AM

My thoughts exactly...
Love Reed but he or Horton starting at FS, while doesn't make me panic, definitely is cause for concern.

Posted by: will_ga | August 28, 2010 3:05 AM | Report abuse

I don't think defense is going to be our main concern this year again - it'll be really good again especially IF the offense can gear up and at least stay on the field for long periods of time.

Posted by: charley42 | August 28, 2010 3:43 AM | Report abuse

I guessing OLB, FS, RB and WR positions will get extra waiver wire attention next week.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 28, 2010 4:06 AM | Report abuse

Our best hope for next year is to keep the O on the field for long drives this year, I think the D (especially the secondary) will benefit enormously.

Posted by: stevebeagrie | August 28, 2010 5:19 AM | Report abuse

Well, so far it looks like we can throw the ball, and can't run it, or stop the run. Not sure how much of that is an artifact of preseason.

As for Albert, anybody noticed that after a victory where he plays a little, he's in a good mood, and otherwise he's complaining? Albert's all about not taking blame for things.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 28, 2010 6:13 AM | Report abuse

On the long run by LT, Doughty completely misread the entire play.

It's as if we have another Matt Bowen on our hands... Doughty is better than that, he wraps up on tackles, but he's gotta take better angles to make up for his lack of speed. Try to develop better instincts to try and diagnose plays before they're happening, cause if he tries to read and react, he's toast.

Posted by: saltine182 | August 28, 2010 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Point needs to be made that John Beck looks pretty darn good for the limited reps he has had. Quickly made decisions, got rid of the ball quickly, and nice arm. I can see now what the Shanahans saw in him at BYU.

Posted by: getitritegov | August 28, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Flaws and question marks and all, this team is much better going into the regular season than any team in the past few years.

I am sure this team will have a learning curve, but I will be patient, especially with football people in charge. We have some talent and some holes...let's see what they can do with it.

Posted by: rickyroge | August 28, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | August 28, 2010 8:12 AM |

That's a fair analysis. Hope we can improve each week and come together as a well oiled machine by December, when the games are the most important.

Posted by: hessone | August 28, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

We have some talent and some holes...let's see what they can do with it.

This point begs two questions:

a. Are the holes (weak o-line, poor receiver play, no true team speed) we knew the team had now somewhat plugged?

b. Has a new influx talent been found to complement that which we already had?

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 28, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Answers to your questions moe,

a) not sure

b) still not sure

Posted by: hessone | August 28, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

I didn't see any comments about our OL play especially that of our LT. Does anybody on RI care to enlighten, please?

It's time to thank Parker and a few others for providing breaks for the starters during camp and then to let Parker and the others go. We should let the rooks play long and hard in the last Exhibition game (I know the NFL doesn't like that word, but it's fun to tweak them a little.).

Posted by: MrChili | August 28, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

I gotta say I thought, especially for a preseason game, the team played with a good amount of toughness, grit and heart. The Jets, while of course over hyped, are a good football team who play physical football. I thought the Skins traded punches with them and bested them at their own style. I was crazy proud that our 2/3s were still competing against their ones. I laughed when Jim Leonard peacocked about his blitz sack on John Beck...

Can't wait to hear Ryan's spin on Hard Knocks...

Posted by: chrislarry | August 28, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

"A Carter: is going to be a liability all season...."

We've been posting this for three weeks: A Carter IS NOT an outside linebacker, and will be exploited like he was an Indian tricked into trading an island for beads all season.

A smart offensive coordinator will scheme plays to were AC is in space against J Addai, F Jones, C Johnson, O Daniels, et al., to great benefit.

Using A Carter and L Alexander as an outside linebacker is just another wacky use of personnel idea brought to us by the same people who didn't want to sign L Foote or J Porter.

For my money, I'd let C Wilson or P Riley start at the spot opposite B Orakpo as one guy has already made the conversion to the linebacker position, and the other is a natural linebacker, his rookie status notwithstanding.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 28, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Moe I am nervous about some of this OLB switch, but do want to see it play out in real games with gameplanning and AH starting...

Posted by: chrislarry | August 28, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 28, 2010 9:20 AM |

I'm on board for C Wilson on the outside. A Carter spells fresh legs at DE on third down.

Posted by: hessone | August 28, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

hessone

"I'm on board for C Wilson on the outside."

I think Andre Carter is a great defensive player.

And I also wonder if the team planned to use him as an OLB without studying tapes of him playing the position in San Fran: he wasn't every good at it and admitted it.

(And I'm also wondering about C Gatewood and R Henson: they can't play OLB?)

Thinking long term, the team is going to have to find a couple of young, big fast, versitile linebacker types who can make the 3-4 switch work.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 28, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Chris Wilson was flying around last night.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 28, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

NateinthePDX,
I am concerned with free safety, too. I thought the guy they just signed got his head in on a few plays last night. After only being on the team for less than a week, he seems to be in the mix. Doughty is not great in coverage. I think Horton is still getting healthy. If the Redskins started the season tomorrow, I think the FS would be Doughty, and I don't think that is a good thing. Still lobbying for moving either Rogers or Barnes to free for an audition in the next game. Both of those guys have better coverage skills than any of the backup free safeties and they can bring the wood.

getitritegov,
I think you summed up my thoughts on the Beck audition. He looked so much more comfortable in the pocket than that first game. He's a smart guy, and you can tell he has responded to coaching. I don't know how they can start the season without three quarterbacks, and if they do have three on the roster, Beck should be one of them.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 28, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 28, 2010 9:39 AM

Do you really wonder this? You wonder if Mike Shanahan studies tape of his players?

I wonder if someone has stolen MistaMoe's handle.

I'm still believing that Bruce Allen is discussing trades involving Carter.

Posted by: i4abuy | August 28, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

i4abuy

"I'm still believing that Bruce Allen is discussing trades involving Carter."

Carter has a no trade clause--an anomaly in football.

And given our needs and his obvious upside and performance, I'd love to see an even switch or trade made: we move Carter for another defensive player.

But I think the team is committed to the idea of AC playing outside linebacker.

Let's hope for the best...

...and next year, draft the better.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 28, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Some other points of analysis.

1) I'm intrigued with people's quick judgement on our Oline. We know we've addressed the LT,RT and RG positions and we have a decent starting 5, but the truth is we don't really know yet until the regular season. It's too early to say if they're good or bad...we just know we've addressed it.

2) We have no breakaway speed at RB.

3) We have no true "weapon" on offense, but there's more than one way to beat a team. It will be interesting to see how Kyle Shanahan plans the offense without an Andre Johnson type weapon.

4) Say what you want, D'Angelo Hall is a good corner...not elite...but above average.

5)I think people are underestimating what Donovan McNabb, even at 34 years old, brings to this team. With McNabb and IF healthy, you're in every game. In Campbell's career, he may have led us on one 4th quarter comeback.

6) I'm worried about the run defense.

FINALLY...

Any time a new regime comes in, it's hard to turn over a roster in one year, especially when Cerrato leaves you with 5 picks and no O-line. I'm sure Haslett would love to have true 3-4 defenders, but we've got some pieces and parts.

Posted by: rickyroge | August 28, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

MistaMoe

OLB and receivers are a major concern come draft day. How can Allen somehow aquire some picks and address these positions, along with a good O-lineman. I know McNabb was an upgrade, but I wish for once this team would look to the draft and stop this nonsense of trading or signing these older athletes. A plan to move to youth, well that remains to be seen. Build this sucker from the ground up, then tweek with a few FA.

Posted by: hessone | August 28, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Carter has a no trade clause--an anomaly in football.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 28, 2010 10:02 AM |

"No trade clause" doesn't mean "you can't trade me." It means "pay me to trade me." Carter doesn't want to play OLB. He wants to be a DE on a 4-3 team.

Posted by: i4abuy | August 28, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I'm just as interested to see who we pick up off waivers as I am to see who is cut...

I would like to see us pick up:

1) another O-lineman that can play LT or RT.

2) a speed back

3) OLB

I think Selvish Capers may have been a decent steal in the draft.

Posted by: rickyroge | August 28, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

I think people spend way too much time worrying about who plays end, NT, and OLB in our alleged 3-4. We haven't seen much of that defense to date. Appears to me they've kept it vanilla, allowing players to get used to the alignments while using only a few of the packages we'll see in the regular season.

Two things do seem evident: Brian Orakpo is going to rush the passer this season, and we need to do a better job containing the run if we want the defense off the field.

Still, the Jets and the Ravens are very effective running clubs, first and fifth in YPG last season. The Bills finished in the middle of the league at 16th still ll 11 slots higher than Washington), and they may be a better measuring stick.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 28, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

"Build this sucker from the ground up, then tweek with a few FA."

The plan seems to be low cost vets and low round hungry types with above average players handling the ball.

Kinda like how they do it in NE, Pittburgh, and Indy.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 28, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

MistaMoe

Posted by: hessone | August 28, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I hear you....but this team has so many needs. With 5 picks, would you rather have a young QB and a poor Oline or a veteran QB with more in the tank and a rebuilt O-line?

McNabb buys you time to develop that young QB. This team rarely values the draft and to be honest, Gibbs 2.0 was the main culprit. He gave away draft picks like water. You can't change an organzation's philosophy is a season.

I'd like to build through the draft too, but FA, if responsible, can get it done too. It's a combination of both. Look how many draft picks make the team anyway.

Posted by: rickyroge | August 28, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

"We have posted ad nauseum all of the stupid things Vinny Cerrato has done, but what has flown under the radar was the release of Jeremy Bridges last season who went on to become the Cardinals starting Right Tackle. posted by rickyroge"

I thought that had been discussed around here. Bridges became the starter for exactly 4 games, as an injury replacement. Got attention because he started in the playoffs. Looks like now he's back as a reserve behind Levi Brown. I was surprised when they the Skins let the guy go, too, but his appearance in the playoffs was mostly serendipity.

You want to know what surprised me? Arizona's depth chart has as the starting FB one Nehemiah 'Nemo' Broughton. Remember him?

Posted by: Samson151 | August 28, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

"I bet you any amount of money Cerrato would have traded next year's 1st rounder for Vincent Jackson."

I think you're probably right, and it might actually have turned out well -- Vincent is that talented. But the risk was just too high. Smart play was to walk away.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 28, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

rickyroge

There are to many teams and the talent pool is to small in order to find a good player who has been waived. I'm not saying it's impossible, but highly unlikely. You're right about OLB, as anyone out there might be an upgrade compaired to what we have. I'm with moe as far as speed at RB. We'll be fine with ball control RB's chewing up yards and keeping the D off the field.

Posted by: hessone | August 28, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Funny thing is that there was only one consistently good running team in the NFC East last season, and it was Dallas. The rest finished in the bottom half of the league.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 28, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

One man's trash is another man's treasure ???

We got:

D'Angelo Hall
Donovan McNabb
Albert Haynesworth
Clinton Portis
London Fletcher
Derrick Dockery
Casey Rabach
Andre Carter
Larry Johnson ?
Willie Parker?

BUT look who we discarded...

Champ Bailey
Antonio Pierce
Ryan Clark
Rock Cartwright
Jason Campbell
Leigh Torrence
Ladell Betts

Posted by: rickyroge | August 28, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | August 28, 2010 10:23 AM

SICWIDIT -- Okay! I'll take this bet for $100. Now, how can we find out who the winner is?

Posted by: beep-beep | August 28, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

"Carter CAN'T play OLB."

Fixed it for you. ;)

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | August 28, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | August 28, 2010 10:28 AM

You don't have to find a good player. You just have to find one that doesn't suck as much as one of the sucky players that you have on your roster -- e.g., replace the 53rd guy on your roster with one who you would rank as around the 50th guy.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 28, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

BUT look who we discarded...

Champ Bailey
Antonio Pierce
Ryan Clark
Rock Cartwright
Jason Campbell
Leigh Torrence
Ladell Betts

The only one on that list I want back is Bailey.

Posted by: westjr88 | August 28, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by Rickyroge

Youre right about it being too early.

The oline starters have sufficient talent to be a good oline and our tackles are a solid foundation to build a top flight oline. The line will begin to gel as we get into the season, still the pass blocking has been good already.

The sooner we fix the run blocking the easier will be to get into the endzone.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 28, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

2010 RBs as of today

Portis
Johnson
K. Williams

Cuts
Torian
Parker

5 players to be cut by Tuesday..

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 28, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Did y'all see that high pass to the Jets tight end that london fletcher broke up in the first or second quarter? Fletcher is as valuable as any player we have had on this team since he got here.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 28, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 28, 2010 11:42 AM

Very true, but pass coverage is not one of his talents. He made a nice play on the ball but a better QB than Sanchez (and there are a lot of em) would have made that play.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 28, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

"Doughty, Horton audition for safety job."

This is a scary proposition.

Reed was terrible last night. Too slow of feet, no range, and was no where to be found in run support.

Horton is a 4.8 forty clone of Reed, with better hands and a lower FB IQ.

They should look at playing Carter or giving Holmes a look at FS, and leave 37 & 48 on teams and at backup SS.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 28, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

DT beeps peeps

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 28, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

A few excerpts worth discussing.

1. About Haynesworth:

*That said, I wonder if the defense might be better off with Haynesworth at nose tackle instead of right end. NT Ma’ake Kemoeatu was pushed back too frequently tonight. A player needs to anchor at that position, and Kemoeatu far too often hasn’t seemed up to the task.

----------------------------------------

I don't think Kemo is all the way back from his injury. He gets pushed back a bit more than you'd like from a starting NT. Kemo is probably better playing a support role at this point. The SKins have decent depth at DE and could be better with Haynesworth at NT. IMO AH should be the starter at NT...but...
__________________________________________

2.On the running game:

*One culprit in the run game appeared to be C Casey Rabach. He struggled to sustain blocks on while running laterally. That’s an essential part of the Redskins’ running scheme, and it has to improve.
-----------------------------------

The Skins need to find Rabach's replacement by the time the 2011 season starts.
_________________________________________

3. On Brandon Banks:

*PR Brandon Banks hurt his cause tonight with his lost fumble on a punt return. He now has a muff, a fumble and a touchdown this preseason. The knock on him is that he has trouble standing up to contact at 5-7, 150, and he wasn’t even popped on the play. He simply was stripped. We saw it last preseason with Anthony Alridge—fumbles trump speed when it comes down to making the final roster. Banks finished the game well with two catches for 35 yards, but it was against third-stringers. Overall, I don’t think anyone hurt their chances of making the team more than Banks did.

-----------------------------------------

Austin showed me something last night at the WR position. Austin is quick and he has really good vision. Bank's speed is intriguing but he's had two negative plays on special teams. These two are playing for one spot IMO. I still prefer Banks over Austin, but this race is too close to call.

Posted by: TWISI | August 28, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

With Landry's style, no matter where he plays, he's still been whiffing on a lot of tackles. Just a concern.
"I'm asking questions's." Cartman.

Posted by: luvdc808 | August 29, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Frankly, I am surprised that the Skins arent preparing the former Steelers Safety Carter to start on opening night. He's a solid veteran with true free safety skills, who has played both free and strong. He clearly is solid on run support, as evidenced by his tackle behind the line of scrimmage Friday night. On top of that, he has a couple of Super Bowl rings. I thought Reed looked horrible Friday night. Take a look at the angle he took on the long Tomlinson run. SCARY.

Posted by: SuperSkin | August 29, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse