Frustration with Albert Haynesworth mounting [UPDATED]

On Day 9 of the Albert Haynesworth watch, frustration is mounting within the Redskins organization because the Pro Bowl defensive lineman still has not passed the conditioning test he must to participate in full practice, multiple people familiar with the situation said Friday morning.

An MRI exam Thursday of Haynesworth's sore knee revealed no structural damage, and the feeling among many at Redskins Park is that the two-time all-pro should have already passed the test. Although perplexed team officials acknowledge Haynesworth probably is experiencing knee irritation, sources say, they do not believe his pain rises to a level that would prevent him from passing the test of two, timed 300-yard shuttle runs.

Moreover, Haynesworth has not even attempted the test since Monday, and his last strong effort occurred July 30. The nine-year veteran's decision to delay retesting is unsettling to the Redskins, especially in light of the encouraging MRI exam and Thursday's performance on a treadmill in which "he was flying," one source said.

(UPDATE, 9:20 p.m.: Haynesworth is planning to attempt the conditioning test on Saturday.)

The Redskins envisioned Haynesworth would need individual attention from coaches and trainers because he skipped all but one day of Coach Mike Shanahan's offseason program. But they were not prepared for Haynesworth to occupy so much of the time of so many key people.

Defensive coordinator Jim Haslett, defensive line coach Jacob Burney and strength coach Ray Wright have adjusted their schedules from the outset of camp to help Haynesworth before, during and after practice. The Redskins have not permitted Haslett, who sources say has been supportive of Haynesworth, to speak with the media about any subject until Haynesworth passes the test.

Apparently, Haslett is eager to have Haynesworth join in 11-on-11 drills in an effort to get him up to speed before the preseason schedule ends. But sources say Haslett, among Shanahan's most trusted lieutenants, is in total agreement with how Shanahan has handled the Haynesworth situation.

By Jason Reid  |  August 6, 2010; 8:37 AM ET
Categories:  3-4 defense , Albert Haynesworth
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Albert Haynesworth MRI shows no structural damage
Next: Russ Grimm: Hall of Famer

Comments

So his ignorance to the situation is what started all of this? Dude. DUUUUUUUUUUDE!!!

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | August 6, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

brownwood

"Why did you change your handle?"

I made the change as I've decided to use several handles to let folks know whassup.

Home: gimmesummoe

Work: mistamoe2

Trickin' with a female: onemoetime

Lying on my taxes: youain'tgettinnomoefrommoe

Explaining to the wife where I've been at 4 a.m.: whyyouaskinmoefo?

While on Maury Povich: thatbabydon'tlooklikemoe

Comments from other bloggas: fukmoe

Oooops: That last one is actually what we should all do if we find ourselves stressed.

And I am.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | August 6, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

"Frustration with Albert" is understatement of the year...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 6, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

JREID - PLEASE STOP W/ THESE KINDS OF UPDATES. There are atleast 10-15 other stories in camp worth writing about. Please give us more than this lame commentary on just one guy.

You want to break the story obviously, but until you do, please spare us having to read these meaningless details. WE GOT IT!

Posted by: saltine182 | August 6, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

NO SH*T!

Posted by: RedDMV | August 6, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Albert says, "Check."

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 6, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

"...passing the test of two, timed 300-yard shuttle runs."

For the 10 years I coached track/cross country, this was the staple warm up to most of our workouts.

And my boys completed it, despite with no problem.

Damn, Albert, man up and get it over with.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | August 6, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

It is really amazing to me how much you truly don't understand the defensive line position and the personnel that plays that position...

Posted by: Stu27 | August 6, 2010 8:52 AM

If I'm so off, then bless us all with your vast knowledge, oh swammy...

Plus, AH gets all this praise for being a physical freak and a guy who is abnormally athletic for a DT. So it's not like we're comparing Ted Washington and Tommie Harris, here.

But I'm sure you have some deep, meaningful knowledge to impress us with, so please...raise our level of awareness, oh great one...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 6, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

"...passing the test of two, timed 300-yard shuttle runs."

And my boys completed it, despite with no problem.

Damn, Albert, man up and get it over with.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | August 6, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

"And in a twist of irony, Haynesworth actually likes the new defense and Haslett's plans for him in the scheme. Haynesworth's concern about the unknown, in large part, prompted him to stay away from Ashburn for most of the offseason, resulting in the current situation."

Now if he hadn't decided to hire a table tennis coach to train him and if he only would have sat down with the coaching staff to understand his role...he wouldn't be such a distraction and he wouldn't be occupying so much time of so many key people.

Al is FAT and RED informed us all today that he's black.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 6, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Answer:

He did no cardio work. And he probably never has.

Must big guys detest running.

I say, everyday, at the end of practice, put the guy on a treadmill/stairmaster, then move to slow mile-long jogs to build up his overall areobic capacity.

Then, after 2 weeks, have him do the test, and he will easily pass it.

Evidence shows he knows how to play football.

But there is also ample evidence now that he never had to do it while in a complete, well-conditioned state.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | August 6, 2010 8:

The 'Skins hire consultants like it's a bodily function. Why not bring in Richard Simmons to work with Fat Albert?

Can you see that fat tub of crap sweatin' to the oldies?

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 6, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Son of a...! If he hadn't assumed what his role was going to be all could've been avoided... Just go pass the test big boy and get on the field.

Posted by: Burrasta1 | August 6, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 6, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

I dont think i can do that. But you comparing a 23 year old Suh that just became the first AP player of the year on D to a 30 year old Ahay for conditioning test purposes is a bit off.
I would wager to say that as far as this sort of conditioning test Suh would killmost every Dlineman in the league. Theres a reason for that Suh waeighs in at 307, a bit less then Ah and most other Lineman.
Its just these sort of comparisons that you bring up thats slightly off.

Posted by: Stu27 | August 6, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Maybe I was wrong about this dude's change of heart. Maybe he doesn't realize that getting with the program is the best possible move for him. Maybe he's a self-destructive @$$. So set him up for a suspension then. Wreck his career as best you know how, Shanny. If he's dogging it because he's a self-centered spiteful jerk, he deserves it 100%.

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 6, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

brown

"Seems to me this test is more about endurance and agility than it is speed. So saying "he's a speed tackle" isn't saying much."

At this point, it's also about a guy's willingness to do the basics of his job.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | August 6, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

HAYNESWORTH TIME OUT:7days17:19:06
Time he has missed since camp opened.

Can we PLEASE get rid of the AH clock!

And its not even correct..."missed" would mean he's not here...like a holdout...he's here and doing things...ughhh

Posted by: PlayAction | August 6, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

That's not irony...that's f*cked up...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 6, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

He likes it! He really likes it!

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | August 6, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

My client's knee is fine.

Mr. Haynesworth is just showing Shanahan that two can play this cat and mouse game of "You're out of shape" and "I'm hurt, Coach". Shanahan is currently standing in the corner of a room with a wet paintbrush in hand, wondering how he painted himself into said corner.

Again, there are special rules for special players. If the Redskins wanted a track star, they should've signed Usain Bolt. Just plug him at nose tackle and fuhgedaboutit, right?

The way out of this corner that Shanahan's painted himself into is easy.

The Redskins need to drop the idiotic pretext that they're making Mr. Haynesworth pass this conditioning test to protect him from hurting himself on the field and while they're at it, sweeten his contract to give him more guaranteed money. This might smooth his ruffled feathers but I give you no promises.

Checkmate.

Posted by: HaynesworthsAgent | August 6, 2010 9:14 AM

Posted by: HaynesworthsAgent | August 6, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

REDSKINS CAMP DIARY, AUGUST 6, 2010

Day 4 of my experience as an undrafted walk-on nose tackle for the Redskins and I can still hardly believe it. And to think I started out this week as a 50-something, overweight and unemployed chicken plucker with a heart condition living in his mother’s basement – who, despite it all, was able to pass Coach Shanahan’s conditioning test on the first go.

I was wiping the barbecue sauce off my chin last night from my third plate of buffalo wings (damn, they’re good), when who should come walking up to my table by the team owner himself, Dan $nydely.

So he says to me, “Mike thinks you could be our starting nose tackle this season.”

And I says, “Well, I don’t know about that. I’m working and practicing as hard as I can, which apparently is more than we can say about SOME PEOPLE around here. I ain’t throwing anybody under the bus or nothing, but I suspect you know who I mean.”

Well, $nydely hands me a cigar and says he wants to talk about what I think of the coaching staff, the defensive scheme, and what it’s going to take to win this season.

So I tell him I don’t smoke, thanks, or know much about the coaching stuff and schemes, but I am committed to play as hard as I can and work with this team to help us win as many games as we can.

Then he tells me he can’t believe I passed the coach’s conditioning test, so I offer to show him too.

So we head out to the practice field and when he tweets the whistle, I start running my 300 yard shuttles. I do the first set in 60 seconds. As the week has worn on and I’ve practiced more and more with the team, I've been improving my strength, speed and stamina.

So as we sit there resting for the three and a half minutes between shuttles, he tells me about how he tried to take the test before – but failed.

So I says, “Oh, come on Dan. It’s not that hard. Here, let me show you.”

So he climbs up onto my shoulders, yells “Giddy Yap,” and off we go.

Well, we bounce back and forth between the beer cans and have a great old time – and nail the second half of the test in 64 seconds flat.

He is so impressed that he says he wants to sign me to a long term contract – something along the lines of $100 million over several seasons, with more than $42 million of it guaranteed.

Oh yeah, another thing – I think I’ve figured out the difference between playing in high school and in the pros. It’s the distractions. We had a film crew out here this morning saying they were doing auditions for the Real Housewives of DC. So Chris Cooley ran up, but the producers said they already had enough “overexposed peroxide blondes.” They say they're looking for a couple of wives who could hold people’s interest -- perhaps a couple like AH92 and CP26. Well Albert explains he don’t like cameras in his face, so that's a non-starter, while with Clinton, let's just say he couldn't follow the script or make himself understood.

Until next time

Your BFF!

Posted by: Vic1 | August 6, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

I know we are at the most exciting point of the NFL year right now and there is much to look forward to this season, but:

Is anyone else intrigued by how this saga will play out NEXT off season? To me, it's fascinating to consider what may happen. Al could not possibly skip OTAs again after this debacle right?

There is no doubt that Shanahan has set a tone that will benefit the team for years to come, so I'm willing to look past the frustration of today.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | August 6, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Does Mike or Jim have to see him pass the test? Can a trainer be a bit slow to react when starting his stop watch?

Posted by: alex35332 | August 6, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Stu, AH outweighs Suh by (reportedly) about 20 pounds, but AH is also about 2 or 3 inches taller so that's why I'm saying they have approximately the same body type. Both are lauded for being athletic physical freaks for the DT position. Age difference aside, this test isn't so brutal that AH has ANY plausible excuse for not passing it over a week after the fact.

But hey man...agree to disagree. Bottom line is AH isn't worth all the drama surrounding him. I mean, we got DONOVAN MCNABB. A legit star QB is here and he's getting NO press whatsoever. This is just unbelievable...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 6, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

moe, normally this weekends series would garner much more of my interest, but with the Sawks gutted because of injuries, Youk the latest to go down, its got the makings of a blood-bath....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 6, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

"Red, you can stop with the $nyder reference, as I have put that on hold months ago"

which is why instead of using an "S" you use a dollar sign.....right, you've put it on hold...with all due respect, and I'm saying with all due respect that idea ain't worth a velvet painting of a whale and a dolphin getting it on....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 6, 2010 9:07 AM

SUPPORT SNYDER-SUPPORT SNYDER-SUPPORT SNYDER!!!!

There bean, is that better. I've now done my penance, and I ask for your forgiveness.

Posted by: hessone | August 6, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

HAYNESWORTH TIME OUT:7days17:19:06
Time he has missed since camp opened.

Can we PLEASE get rid of the AH clock!

Posted by: PlayAction | August 6, 2010 9:25 AM

What does JReid not get...we are tired of these crappy post, you are making it bigger than it is. Lets here about the guys that are working there butts off to make the team...lets talk about the battles at certain positions. I am still trying to figure out how all the Dlinemen make the rotation work...MKemo, AH, then who...what about Carriker, Daniels, and then rest. Linebacker info would be nice. Who looks better out there Cooley or Davis...etc. JReid get it done or you just as bad as AH, collecting a check for doing no work

Posted by: mhartz1 | August 6, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Just make him do the truffle shuffle in front of all the fans, just to humiliate him.

Then let him practice.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 6, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

If he likes the defense, then he'll be all the more motivated to put this Shuttle test behind him and be part of the team.

I'm sure his cardio is horrible. It's obviously never been good which is why he keels over on the field between plays. I'm sure his offseason "workouts" had to do with (1) changing his diet to shed pounds and (2) strength conditioning. There's no way AH does cardio work on his own without someone holding a gun to his head.

Shanny is doing what needs to be done. AH needs to be in shape to play. AH needs to friggin' grow up and act like a professional, and then we can all move on with our lives.

And a final note to WaPo:

We are all prepared to assume from here on out that AH's knee is bothering him and he hasn't passed the conditioning test, unless told otherwise. If we stipulate this info as a given, can you please stop repeating it in a "new" post twice a day?

Posted by: p1funk | August 6, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Once A-Hole, er, um, I mean A-Hay flops his girth onto a flailing Tony Romo, all will be forgiven.

Good thing we are not playing the Broncs in Denver this year. Fat Albert would be sucking major wind.

When I was a kid playing football and there was someone who wasn't 'getting with the program, the coach would shake things up by saying, 'go play wedge-breaker on kickoffs', or 'make him a lead blocking fullback on goal-line offense'.

Maybe sticking AH at fullback on first and goal from the 1 might light a fire under his fat a**.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 6, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

I read that Adam Carriker was pimp-slapping b_tches at practice yesterday, and looked good doing it.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 6, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Then let him practice.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 6, 2010 9:36 AM |

Truffle Shuffle?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. That was a coffee-spitter.

HAHAHA!

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 6, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 6, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Yeah that's great, but could they hold their poop in?

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 6, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

It sounds like they're going to let him get away with it, as long as he'll play.

...well, I do have to say, if he brings it game time & they're ok w/ it... what the SJK do we have to say about it.

... I still think they should bench him.
______________________________________

Which brings me to an awful thought I had last night. What if this is all just Deja Vu ALL OVER AGAIN.

I mean, it's the same MO from every Snyder offseason, just the names have changed.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 6, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhartz1 | August 6, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Kemo is good, Carriker is good, Davis looks better.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 6, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

hess, was just trying to point out that you're statement above was full on bullcrap because if you had moved on, you wouldn't do the dollar sign thingy....I never asked anyone to support Snyder...just don't try and feed me sh*t, and tell me its filet mignon.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 6, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 6, 2010 9:39 AM |

I have wet dreams about having the most thuggish offensive line since the Raiders of the '70s.

I want a line of nothing but big, fat, greasy, 6'4+ and 320+ dudes with big, bushy afros and grizzley adams beards with the afro pick sticking out. You know, the one with the fist at the end of the handle.

I love the pimp/bit*h slap. I think that can be a new technique a'la Deacon Jones' head-slap or the Lyle Alzado gut-punch.

Cue the 1970's bow-chicka-bow-wow theme music.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 6, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: HaynesworthsAgent | August 6, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Dear HaynesworthsAgent,

You and your client are made for each other. It's clear with your take that you have your head as far up your own backside as your client does.

If you think your client has any kind of upper-hand in this situation, your are a total dolt. The longer this saga plays out, the more ridicule your client absorbs as 50-year old retired men are coming out in droves talking about how they passed the same Shuttle Test that your client doesn't even seem to have the balls to attempt anymore.

If you think Shanny is standing in a corner with a paint brush, then look again. He's standing with the rest of the sporting society shaking their heads at the pathetic sight of AH wetting the bed, and then thinking he's getting away with something by refusing to change his own sheets.

Sorry, but it is your client that ends up smelling pissssy when it's all said and done.

Posted by: p1funk | August 6, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 6, 2010 9:39 AM

I said when that trade was made that he's gonna be our best D-lineman this year. Love that he's coming along already...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 6, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | August 6, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Bwaaaahhhhaaaaahhhhaaaaaa!!!

Your statement is beyond funny!!!

For the sake of my Cowboys, I HOPE he continues to set this "tone" of giving malcontents extra time off and wasting the coaches time with one-on-one tutoring. Maybe you should change your name to WaitingForever!! LMAO!

Your new rallying cry: In Shanahan We Bust!! or maybe With Shanahan We Fail!!

Anyhoo, the stench of this board is overpowering due to too many Deadskins! I can only take the unmistakable smell of death for about a minute at a time.

See y'all ladies on September 12.

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 6, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

America's Game: The Superbowl Champions

The 2010 Redskins as told by

Mike Shanahan
Albert Haynesworth
Donovan McNabb

Narrated by Wale

Coming in August 2011.

Book it.

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 6, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 6, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Great for Adam...I guess.

Any update on how he's doing at playing football?

Posted by: p1funk | August 6, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Loved it last year in the preseason when he crunched Tom Brady. The look on Bradys face just priceless...wait

Posted by: Stu27 | August 6, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 6, 2010 9:39 AM |

Cue the 1970's bow-chicka-bow-wow theme music.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 6, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

I had that same dream last night, and had to change my sheets this morning.

Except Trent williams was prison raping Demarcus Ware, and Brian Orakpo was forcing Tony to toss his salad.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 6, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 6, 2010 9:46 AM

I'm moving on bean, take my post how you'd like, I could care less. Peace

Posted by: hessone | August 6, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

America's Game: The Superbowl Champions

The 2010 Redskins as told by

Mike Shanahan
Albert Haynesworth
Donovan McNabb

Narrated by Wale

Coming in August 2011.

Book it.

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 6, 2010 9:49 AM

LOL! I'm not sure what would be more amazing about that...AH being picked as one of the 3 guys to interview or Wale narrating...

I actually allowed myself to daydream about that possibility and I can't see them doing anything different than McNabb, Shanahan and Portis. NFLN simply LOVES Portis' schtick...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 6, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Great for Adam...I guess.

Any update on how he's doing at playing football?

Posted by: p1funk | August 6, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

By b_tches I meant Chad Rinehart

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 6, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Yeah I read the anecdote Snyder told about how he tried the fitness test with Fletcher laughing at him and how he got the dry heaves and stuff and suddenly I too felt like I had to vomit.

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 6, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 6, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Portis is funny!

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 6, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Check that...McNabb, Shanahan and Fletcher. Yeah, I'm still thinking about it...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 6, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

"He is who we thought he is- a potentially All-Pro D-lineman with tendinitis in his knee-BUT NOT WORTH $100 MILL!!"

The blame for this is squarely on Danny...

Posted by: frak | August 6, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 6, 2010 9:39 AM

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 6, 2010 9:49 AM

This is Haslet's guy and he thrived in Haslet's system in St. Louis earlier. I like that not only is he a scrapper, he's got a lot of good years ahead of him.

Posted by: pgugino | August 6, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Co-sign, doesn't mean I like it. Maybe it's time for some players to realize the athletic gifts they have, and work hard at being their best. AH compaired himself to Reggie White, then he said he wants to be the best defensive player in the league. How can he accomplish this being out of shape. I think he is still being childish, as I for one think he's faking this knee thing and being defiant. Open your mind to other folks thoughts, Red.

Posted by: hessone

Haven't you been reading? I just said that I'm not on either side of the Haynesworth bullsh*t. Which means that I understand both arguments, which could also mean that I'am open to other peoples ideas. You would know this if you took the emotions out of the equation for a second, hess. Emotions give you selective reading, and you have selective reading.

And I don't know where you're from but when you "co-sign" with a post, argument, or sentiment it does mean that "I agree", which is why people say it up here. But go ahead and change it up, hess. I guess in your world if you said 'I'm going to kill myself' that is interpreted as: 'I wanna do a few lines of blow and bang out some hookers'.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 6, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

... I mean, we got DONOVAN MCNABB. A legit star QB is here and he's getting NO press whatsoever. This is just unbelievable...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 6, 2010 9:34 AM

No press for McNabb? Let's see, we have Madden comparing him to Favre, we have stories of Hell Week, we have Riggo comparing him to Obama... considering McNabb hasn't done squat in a Skins uni, I'd say he's getting his fair share of press.

Wait until the season starts... if things go well, he'll be given credit for single-handedly winning games. If he underperforms or gets hurt, he'll be another example of Dan Snyder's reaching for someone else's over-the-hill star. Either way, there will be more than enough press from Philadelphia to DC about the Eagles/Skins QB.

Posted by: Alan4 | August 6, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Is it possible to impeach The Mayor?

Posted by: TBDog | August 6, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 6, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Boyz, can we take it down a notch? Snyder made me queasy but this actually made me puke.

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 6, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Trade that piece of crap for a filet of fish sandwich

Posted by: lylefish | August 6, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Cowboys lose Marcus Spears for 4-6 weeks
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 6, 2010 9:55 AM ET
The Cowboys don't really need an excuse to take defensive end Marcus Spears out of the starting lineup now.

The 2005 first-round draft pick by Bill Parcells will miss 4-6 weeks with a sprained MCL. We first mentioned the possibility of the injury last night, and the Cowboys' fears were confirmed by further tests.

Jason Hatcher looks like the next man up in Dallas, and Stephen Bowen should also pick up snaps. Spears could find playing time hard to come by when he returns.

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 6, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I had that same dream last night, and had to change my sheets this morning.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 6, 2010 9:51 AM

Dude, you need to see a psychiatrist.

In your dream, was Trent Williams actually in prison or was he only there for a conjugal visit?

Maybe Plaxico Burris was there filming it for posterity with Rae Carruth, Bam Morris and Nate Newton providing production support.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 6, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

It's a simple situation of the stick vs. the carrot. If Haynesworth continues to not pass the test then things need to get worse for him; if he does then they must get better. But the status quo isn't doing jack.

Posted by: Wonsapnatm | August 6, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Trade that piece of crap for a filet of fish sandwich

Posted by: lylefish | August 6, 2010 10:04 AM

I'm getting hungry...what time is it?

Posted by: PlayAction | August 6, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Trade that piece of crap for a filet of fish sandwich

Posted by: lylefish | August 6, 2010 10:04 AM

I'm getting hungry...what time is it?

Posted by: PlayAction | August 6, 2010 10:09 AM

Nevermind, I just checked the AH clock...thanks RI!!

Posted by: PlayAction | August 6, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

.......But there are always guys who fall through the cracks. Draft choices who aren't selected notably high, don't have any specifically noteworthy pedigree, and haven't yet dazzled anyone with a specific on- or off-field talent. Or reliably solid veterans who are continuing to perform with reliable solidity.

Say, for example, sixth-round pick Dennis Morris, a tight end, and veteran linebacker Rocky McIntosh, respectively. Well, some people noticed that very little had actually BEEN said about these two, so I grabbed each of them coming off the field yesterday and conducted a very quick state-of-training-camp interview. Just so we can figure out which category to slot them into, really.

Rocky McIntosh Gets Down To Business

The biggest difference in this training camp, McIntosh says, is "That when it's' time to get down to business, we take care of business and when it's time to rest, we rest. That's definitely different."

Which makes McIntosh yet another one riding the teeter-totter of disciplinarian-vs.-player's-coach, although he notes that Mike Shanahan has elements of both coaching styles. "I think it's a nice balance," he says, "because we needed a little bit stronger direction around here. So, it's definitely good when you have a stern head that everybody else is gonna follow."

There was a minimal amount of offseason concern about McIntosh's ability to play the inside backer position in a 3-4 defense, but, according to McIntosh, that's about as much concern as the move warranted. (i.e., None.) "It's really no different, man," he says. "But first and foremost, you gotta play smart and you gotta be physical. So those two things...I got both of those, so I feel kinda like superman a little bit out there on the field. It's great, man, that's all you need."

And McIntosh isn't worried that people aren't talking about him yet. "I'm just coming out here and doing my job and getting myself up there," he says. Which is kinda predictable and athlete-speak-ish, but true nonetheless.

Dennis Morris: Silent Killer

Dennis Morris knows that no one's talking about him. "Yeah," the rookie tight end says, "I'm like the silent killer, I don't really like to do too much talking or nothing like that. I just like to go to work and do all of my assignments and that's about it. I don't really do too much talking. I let my game do all the talking."

Morris is primarily being used in blocking so far, and that's fine with him. "My main responsibility is blocking," he says. "I'm a good blocker, I like to block. I like to knock heads. It's football, you gotta love to bang. I think they all want me to block a lot. I also think...they give me some passes, you know just to keep me on point, keep my step, you know, just in case."

Right now, it's all about working to internalize everything the coaches are advising. "I just work on what they tell me what to work on every day

Posted by: TWISI | August 6, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 6, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

brownie, I think he's a physical freak because he can move a double team c & OG back 5 yds, not beause he can beat a rb to the sideline.

And to RedDMV, I don't think the hate for AH is racial. I think some people are jealous of all the cash he has received. But to me, the money is irrelevant. He's on our roster, so how can we get the best use of his skills.

Also loved the image of your shrine.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 6, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

So JReid is saying all of this has been much ado about nothing? No News is No News?

Great News for the Redskins....

Haynesworth is just Favring it....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 6, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

--THURSDAY, AUGUST 5

It was hot today. Hot. Hot. Hot. I’m not going to lie -- I might have lost nine pounds today.

It was a lot of work, but I did pretty well. I had about five or six balls come my way-- caught them all. And then I did some great stuff in the run game. I think I had an exceptional block today.

We had NFL referees out here for the first time but I really didn’t even notice them. I knew they were there, but when I started noticing them the most was during the 2-minute drill. They were there to call the ball down or say somebody ran out of bounds or something like that. It wasn’t really different. We practice like we have refs all the time.

After practices like this, I just like to relax. So the cool-down routine today is to get back to my room and then open my laptop and play some reggae.

I’ll play some Bob Marley and it’ll put me to sleep, to be honest. I’ll take about a 2-and-a-half hour nap before the next practice. I may call my mom or my dad and give them an update.

Tonight maybe I’ll watch some TV. I want to start watching “Jersey Shore.” I heard it’s pretty good.

And then everybody has been telling me about watching “True Blood,” so I’m going to check that out, too.

Posted by: TWISI | August 6, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Albert, you SJK pantload! I don't care if you got boo boo and need mommy kisses....you put on my team's uniform, you make damn sure you come out of that tunnel first game of the season ready to tear up some cowbellies. Shanny and the rest of you asshats--let's not forget this is your first season in this town. Past don't mean crapola. Put the egos where the sun don't shine and get the best players with the best game plan out there and at least attempt to make it look like this team belongs in the NfreakinFL.

Posted by: InRealAmerica | August 6, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Shanahan get's paid to make sure everyone is prepared. Haynesworth's job is to show up in shape and ready to practice an play. One man is doing his job the other is not. Just like any other work environment. So no athlete of this man's character should be ever given the break. This team is functioning and practicing just fine without him. Let's put it this way, this team isn't gonna all of sudden be great if he's not playing. If he mans up and wants to fall in line, then welcome back. Got news for you Fat Albert. The coach is gonna win out on this one. W/O a doubt.

Posted by: blanknerc | August 6, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Haynesworth is the biggest news at training camp because there is nothing else to talk about with this team.

We are still talent-poor. I've been a fan of this team since a time before most of you were born and feel I have a right to tell it like it is.

The reason you can't build anything substantial with this team is because the foundation (Snyder, Shanahan and Allen) is flawed. Let's be clear on the fact that Shanahan told Snyder which GM he would work with, which means he told him who to hire. Redskins Nation, it's never good when the head coach picks the general manager. Never. Go ahead and accuse me of being "old school", but I do know that the general manager should be selecting the head coach, not the other way around.

This means that the man who was summarily canned in Denver for running that team into the ground with very bad personnel decisions is essentially running our Washington Redskins! Snyder, once again, is doing things bass-ackwards and we, the fans, will suffer.

This structure is unsound and is doomed to collapse. Take it from a guy whose seen this movie before and knows how it will end. Curse me out now if you wish, but when the season is over, you'll be saying ol' Sammy was right.

Better days are ahead. We just won't see them until 2013 when, hopefully, Snyder wakes up and hires a football man first and then empowers that man to hire the coach of his choosing.

-HTTR-

Posted by: SlinginSammy | August 6, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SlinginSammy | August 6, 2010 10:19 AM

LOL! You back with the same horsesh*t. "Summarily dismissed in Denver"? The guy was there for 13 years and won two super bowls. You don't even understand the English language.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 6, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Haynesworth is damaged goods. He's like 4th Floor's house, devalued and in a state of disrepair.

No amount of drills, shuttles, workouts, P90x's or fen-fen is going to change that.

As my dad always said...."Son, you can't polish a turd."

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 6, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

-HTTR-

Posted by: SlinginSammy | August 6, 2010 10:19 AM

So long as that GM chooses Kyle Shanahan to be the HC.

Posted by: TWISI | August 6, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 6, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Look, this bruhaha is nothing if not a snap shot of Dano's ownership and fantasy football GM'ing!

He needs to FINALLY admit what a mess he's made of this franchise, let Shan (The Scowl) give Fat Albert his walking (limping)papers and GO AWAY!

Dano will absorb the 30 million paid to F.A. in no time at all - at the fan's expense - AS ALWAYS!!!!!

Posted by: duru44 | August 6, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Okay, Reid, just go down to training camp and report on what you see, okay? No more Hyanesworth updates. Let's hear about how the other 78 guys on the team are doing, for Pete's sake. If you want some clues as to who we want to hear about:

-How's Beck doing?

-WTF happened with Doughty?

-How about a recap on how the rookie class looks on the field?

-What kind of plays are they running on offense and defense?

-What about some of the young fringe players left over from the previous regime? Lendy Holmes, Rob Jackson, Curtis Gatewood, Robert Henson - any of these guys impressing or are they just about to be shown the door?

-Are Hall and Rogers solid in their positions? Seems like there is so much competition for nickel that someone might start asking if one of the nickelbacks might be better than one of the starters.

And if nothing else, the next time you feel like writing about Haynesworth, maybe you should pick up the phone and find out how the other players are doing...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 6, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I love my fans, but sometimes they can get like a stalker....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 6, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Here's what Shanahan said Thursday about another nose tackle, Maake Kemoeatu, who missed last season for the Carolina Panthers because of a torn Achilles' tendon:

"Kemoatu's a guy that I was thinking about giving a day off, but he said, 'I'm behind, Coach, I gotta go.' For a guy that was off for a year, practicing two times a day all through OTAs, losing a bunch of weight, getting back in football shape, it's nice to see his mind-set and his conditioning has really improved."

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 6, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

-How's Beck doing?

He's impressing alot of folks. Some reporters think it can be a real comp for #2

-WTF happened with Doughty?

LL30 is back and looking livly. He ain't coming off the field too much.

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 6, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

The Mayor loves to weave "mounting" into his blog headlines. Am I the only that does a little beevis and butthead laugh at this?

'I wanna do a few lines of blow and bang out some hookers'

Sounds fun, I'm in.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 6, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 6, 2010 10:36 AM
------------------------------------------
That's the type of player the team needs. He sure shines when you hold him up to Haynesworth in comparison. I hope he stays healthy because I think he's already standing out (ask Rabach how it feels to be pancaked by a nose tackle) and he isn't even 100% yet.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 6, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

@beep-beep,

Normally, I don't go back and forth with my fellow Redskins fans because we're on the same team. It might not always seem like it, but we are.

When I said "summarily" that's just what I meant. You can work somewhere for 40 years and still be summarily fired. It just means that when Shanahan was fired there was no long discussion and no "Well, maybe we can do this" or "Maybe we can do that" to continue his employment. By all accounts the meeting was extremely short and to the point.

Again, I love the team and will probably be the only person in Redskins Nation this season who isn't cursing players out and blaming them for not delivering a winning season that they can't possibly deliver, but I know how this is going to end. Badly. Now, you do too.

Posted by: SlinginSammy | August 6, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

If the "mounting" frustration is as bad as the "mounting" injuries were the other day, I think we're ok.

Now, the mounting frustration with this frikkin site is something I'd pay attention to, JR.

Posted by: stevek20147 | August 6, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

As Ken and I drove towards Redskins Park for the biggest interview of our lives--and that's saying a lot because we've interviewed Ted Leonsis, Marion Barry, and Tom Tupa's Dad to name a few--we tried to imagine what the environment would be like. I hope there is at least security video of us rolling into Redskins Park because the players parking lot looked like an Escalade dealership, and here come the two of us in Ken's Honda Civic with the back-seat filled to the ceiling with boxes, pillows, and diapers (he just bought a house and is still moving).

From tailgates - to family functions - to overheard Metro conversations, every Redskins' fan has wanted a piece of the owner....for YEARS. The last thing we wanted to do was disappoint, but more importantly, I was making sure I left there with my questions answered - my #1 question being continuity. Having said that, I had no idea what to expect. I envisioned the interview would be something like a Law & Order episode where Ken and I were on one side of the table (possibly made of alligator skin), and Dan Snyder and his professional consultant on the other. Some questions we'd get a bland answer for, and others he'd pull a Mark McGwire - ie: whisper into his lawyer's ear, and respond to us, "I'm hear to talk about the future." I was as accurate on that as Suisham was on right-hash 23-yard field goals.

As we walked through several turns of the Redskins Park hallways, including a finger-lock door, the anticipation began to snowball. Tony Wyllie finally stopped at an open door with "Executive Office" on it and from my angle, all I could see was a burgundy and gold presidential-esque flag next to a nice desk. "Over here," was our direction from Tony and he led us into the conference room. As we took our seats wating for "Mr. Snyder", we joked with Tony how the Redskins cleaned Houston out - taking him, Kyle Shanahan, Ray Wright, and Rexy from their squad. Dan Snyder then entered the room smiling with jeans and un-tucked golf shirt. He walked over to the leather lounge-chair near our conference table, leaned back with one-leg on the arm-chair (he had a sore back), and it was on. We respectfully did the, "Mr. Snyder? Dan?" The response: "Call me Dan. My father's name was Mr. Snyder." It certainly eased the mood immensely where the only thing missing really was a bottle of Jamesons and some cigars. As the interview wrapped up, there was one question I could not leave without asking:

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 6, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SlinginSammy | August 6, 2010 10:19 AM
Good morning to you.

I have my doubts about Shanahan and I agree the optimal move would have been to recruit a GM and let him hire the coach not other way around.

Nonetheless I worry more about Snyder trying to shake things up for the worse in several years if the team continues to lose.

I would rather let the current group manage things than entertain the possibility of Snyder meddling again. We got the best we're gonna get because Snyder was in deep kimchee, meaning his back up against the wall and he was facing a full scale fan revolt.

In a few years, for all we know Dan feel emboldened to call the shots himself, or he'd bring Vinny back with someone like the old ball coach.

You have way to much faith that Snyder would do the right thing next time.

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 6, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

-WTF happened with Doughty?

LL30 is back and looking livly. He ain't coming off the field too much.

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 6, 2010 10:37 AM
-----------------------------------------
But doesn't Doughty play free safety now and isn't Horton the primary backup for LL30? I keep hearing Moore is making a strong case for playing alongside Landry in the backfield.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 6, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Forget the stupid conditioning test and get Albert on the field! You have proven your point, Shanny - now it's time to just let it go!

I believe Albert is avoiding the test because he is afraid he will fail it again and be further humiliated.

Just move on, Shanny. Do you want to win or satisfy your ego?

Posted by: Lisa_R | August 6, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I would like to thank the Post for the continuing updates on AH. Not because I give a damn any more about his overpaid, petulant existence. No I would like to thank the Post because I have hit the gym everyday this week, partly because I watched Mike Golic pass the conditioning test and said "I need to get my fat ... to the gym."

But I would like to know more about what is going on in camp outside AH world. Seems like the reporters are all standing in the AH section of Ashburn. What's gong on outside the seclusion corner? Is McNabb not throwing at Recievers feet?
Is LF adjusting to the 3-4? How about the rest of the defensive Backfield?
Come on.....we are not asking the reporters to venture outside the friendly confines of Ashburn just tell us what else is happening.

And for the AH athletic supporters, this is not going to end well for AH if he doesn't pass the test. If he can run on the treadmill and says he can practice than he can do the minimal stop, turn, and sprint cut. Practice involves alot more lateral movement that would irritate and damage that tender knee.

Redskins could go 4-8 this year and I will not doubt the Shan. Finally there is mgmt in the bldg.

Posted by: Hank4 | August 6, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

SlinginSammy, your point is well taken. This article gives a little context to the repetative, failing coaching cycle we've been spinning on for awhile now. Shanahan is a logical continuation of the cycle.

Posted by: Alan4 | August 6, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Please stop changing the story to make better copy.

Are you now suggesting that Haynesworth is refusing to take the test? Or is the boring truth just that team doctors are still advising against it? One way makes for a more interesting plot, I guess. But the other way makes perfect sense, and probably only needs to be reported just once.

I think it's just a more interesting story that Albert is lazy and Shanahan is a borderline nutcase/control freak. Hell it might even be true, so why let facts interfere with a good story, right?

Posted by: bigfoot1 | August 6, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Albert no longer has a desire to play the game. He got his payday and that was the end-all-be-all to Albert. All the excuses of wanting to be traded, doesn't like the 3-4...all excuses because he doesn't care about playing, and willing to put the work in.

He could put a knee brace on, pivot off the other knee on the turns of the shuttle run...and heck, if he runs like Golic, there didn't appear to be any amount of pressure on the turns needed to pass this test.

Albert will be, maybe, a just-better-than average lineman now. Everyone who wants him out there...note...he is no longer the dominant player in his contract year. Who even cares when he gets out there because he is no longer a difference maker. The guy is pathetic and I would love to actually hear his teammates throw him under the bus.

Posted by: redskinbo | August 6, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Doughty to slow to play FS...He plays best closer to the LOS/LBs, like Landry. He's gonna make the team and sub in, plus STs though....

Safties: Landry (s), Moore (s), Doughty, Horton.....with Horton getting the least amount of reps...

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 6, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | August 6, 2010 10:01 AM

My point is, that's nothing compared to what it would be if we weren't counting how many practices AH is missing. We made what (on paper) looks like the biggest blockbuster deal since the Portis/Bailey trade and it's nowhere close to the top story. Insanity...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 6, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Just move on, Shanny. Do you want to win or satisfy your ego?

Posted by: Lisa_R | August 6, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

? I don't think Shanahan's ego has anything to do with his knee swelling up.

Even if there is no structural damage, I'd rather have him take care of the knee than risk a worse injury that could cost him real time when it matters.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | August 6, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

all AL has to do is apologize to Shanny, and he'll be able to practice, and his problem knee will go away...blook it...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 6, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Is it gay that I'm secretly a Justin Bieber fan?

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 6, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I almost want to be at the first game this season just to hear the reaction from the fans when this dude falls to one knee because he is gassed. It is going to be epic!

Posted by: authorofpoetry | August 6, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Is it gay that I'm secretly a Justin Bieber fan?

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 6, 2010 11:07 AM

Yes, yes it is.

Or as Jake would say...and yes.

Posted by: stevek20147 | August 6, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

iH8, Yes, and even more so if his music was playing in the dream described above

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | August 6, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | August 6, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

SlinginSammy:

With age comes wisdom and you have it in spades. I'm already on record as saying the team will go 5-11 this year. Not that I want them to, but because I watched every game last year (twice, thanks to TiVo) and I know we have too many holes to fill to compete this year.

Portis is slow and injury-prone, the O-line is a sieve, the QB is the same guy who didn't scare us last year when he was with Philly, to say the receivers are unproven is being kind, our best player (Fletcher) is just a ham-and-eggs kinda guy and the cancer that is Haynesworth will metastasize to the rest of the team any day now because Snyder is either too stupid or too stubborn to cut him before that happens.

We will get better, of course, over time but I agree that Shanahan might not be around when we do.

HTTR

Posted by: Skinz4Lyfe | August 6, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

@RedDMV

Co-sign, doesn't mean I don't like it.

Ah, take the emotion out Red.

Co-sign = Agree

Don't like it = Don't like it.

Liten up Red baby !

Posted by: hessone | August 6, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Wonder what the depth charts look like a full week into training camp. I imagine you could tell by like looking on the.. for instance whats our 12 WRs depth lookin like and our 26 linebackers???

Posted by: Stu27 | August 6, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

This has to stop. Just suspend him and move on.

Posted by: ElSith | August 6, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Trade that piece of crap for a filet of fish sandwich

Posted by: lylefish | August 6, 2010 10:04 AM |

Ironically, the voice of the fish in the commercial was performed by AH, he also wrote the song after returning from Mickey D's during the $1 special... It's a fact!

He sat at home last night with a sack of fish sammich's, and his rubber mallet, "aggrevating" his knee.

If only Reid could scoop this type of breakthrough news story...

Lord help us...

Posted by: BillStoner | August 6, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Trade that piece of crap for a filet of fish sandwich

Posted by: lylefish | August 6, 2010 10:04 AM |

If only Reid could scoop this type of breakthrough news story...

Lord help us...

Posted by: BillStoner | August 6, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I'd love to stick a fistful of rusty nails and broken glass up this Haynesworth clown's vagina.

Posted by: ReginaldSmash | August 6, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

"Posted by: ReginaldSmash | August 6, 2010 11:26 AM"

No room. He just stuffed $21 million up there.

Posted by: gtown85 | August 6, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

NO! Don't trade him. Make him sit on the bench.

This SJK-hole should not be rewarded for his dewschbaggery.

We've already payed what we owe him in guaranteed scratch, right? So now we pay him next to nothin' to rot. And rot he shall.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 6, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by RedDMV

K, I see ur point. I am not sure there really is a side to be on with Haynesworth though. It seems we have been trying to unravel this thing enough to drive ourselves crazy and I don't think Haynesworth is worth our effort. Whatever he believed the problem to be with playing in washington has dissolved, but now -if this report is even close- we have a very well paid player who is making excuses no to play for whatever reason. So now the issue becomes whether someone is a real redskins fan or not. Haynesworth is not being expected to do anything that his other team mates haven't been asked to do, so at this point with AH paid for but realistically with no rational beef with the team it is evident the team is being kicked around here.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 6, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

This just in..... Coach Shanahan has launched a new alternative to his teams workout plan. It's called "The Biggest Loser". Secretly under the guise of passing a fitness test, Coach has been working on getting his defensive linemen to ACTUALLY be fit this year! Some of the excersizes included in this alternate program are bathroom breaks, treadmill jogging, working with coaches, and my personal favorite..... "no talking to the media"!!!

The allstar achiever in Coach Shanahan's program is none other that the teams biggest and biggest star - Albert Haynesworth.

Dear Redskins Insider.... CUT IT OUT, WILL YA? YOU'RE KILLING ME WITH THESE LAME A$$ REPORTS!

Posted by: BenThere | August 6, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

SlinginSammy:

Posted by Skinz4Lyfe

Ur kidding right?

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 6, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I don't understand this: The nine-year veteran's decision to delay retesting is unsettling to the Redskins, especially in light of the encouraging MRI exam and Thursday's performance on a treadmill in which "he was flying," one source said.

Has anyone ever been on a team where it is the players decision? Coach = Boss, Player = employee. He faked injuries all last year and is doing the same thing now. He should be required to attempt this test every day, multiple time, until he passes or kick him out after say the third or fourth or fith try....

Posted by: annon6 | August 6, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

monkeymayonaise:

I listed the reasons why I thought 5-11 was reasonable this year (although certainly not desired).

What do you think is a rational expectation record-wise, given what you know?

Posted by: Skinz4Lyfe | August 6, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

"I have no desire to be a hall of fame player. No desire to work in June. I don't play every play of every game cause a big guy like me needs a break, so I lay down and go out of games. Even once last year near the goal line as Dallas was about to score- and did - as I was then on the sideline. I don't play nose tackle, as I told coach this. But ...

I have $36 mill (and counting) reasons why I'm still in DC and don't care about all of this stuff. $36 mill reasons of Dan Dummies $. Does Coach have $36 mill today of Dan Dummies $? Nope, not yet

Signed
Fat Albert

Posted by: kedavis | August 6, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

The Albert Haynesworth' saga,
stalemate that could lead to checkmate.

Posted by: abxinc | August 6, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

This conditioning test is racist!!!

I have placed phone calls to Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Tavis Smiley, Keenan & Kel, and MSNBC. I expect them to start uncovering the truth of this slave/master relationship any moment now! Albert Haynesworth has been victimi-tized!

Oh, and I also called Mike Wise so he could write a bleeding-heart, politically correct column about how this is indeed racist, and how the team being named the 'Redskins' is also racist, and how those two racist facts are somehow connected.

In conclusion: this %^&* is racist

Posted by: leedisantis | August 6, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Any word on when Joey Galloway will be cut? I refuse to follow the 'Skins while he's still on the roster, and I'm really, really dying to follow my favorite team.

Posted by: ShovelPlease | August 6, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: leedisantis | August 6, 2010 12:16 PM

Are you black ?

Posted by: hessone | August 6, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

ultimately, Haynesworth is going to be on the field at RDE for the opener.

he knows that, the team knows that.

otherwise, he would have been traded to the Seahawks for that #3 pick they reportedly offered the Redskins.

the only reason to keep him is to play him.

to pay him to sit on the bench because of a conditioning test is a waste of $21M.

of course, that is only if and when the season approaches.

for right now, Shanahan still has time to let AH linger in the doghouse while the team prepares for the preseason schedule.

my guess is AH will be with the regular unit next week for ever more increasing reps.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | August 6, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I fail to see how this helps the Redskins. They still have to pay the guy a freakin' fortune. If he isn't up to speed on the defense and sits on the bench; he is still making tons of money. How is that not a complete nightmare for the Redskins?

Posted by: bperk420 | August 6, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

"Earlier, there was visible swelling in his knee and team doctors advised not running the test. Now you're saying that because there is "no structural damage" that the doctors were ... what? "wrong" about visible swelling? "Lying as part of a conspiracy to help Albert skip practice?"

Look, apparently Albert has a chronic problem with soreness in his knee. Soreness of that type is usually accompanied by some swelling. The trainer asks Albert how the knee feels; Albert says either "It's OK, I can go", or "Hurts too much." If the team physician chooses, he sends Haynesworth for an MRI to see if there's anything structural going on. The MRI came back negative, so as far as the available evidence goes, it's back in Albert's court.

The trainer says to Albert: "Can you go today?" and Albert says something along the lines of "I can't run that shuttle, but I can do other stuff", and that's what he's cleared to do.

Unless and until something different shows on an MRI or other test, that's how they're making the decision. It's basically Albert's call. No doc is going to countermand Albert's subjective opinion about his own health.

"Are you now suggesting that Haynesworth is refusing to take the test? Or is the boring truth just that team doctors are still advising against it?"

They're 'advising against it' because Albert doesn't want to do it. Says his knee is too sore. You notice he's out there on the sidelines doing limited work, including some agility stuff. He's just not running the shuttle or practicing with the other players.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 6, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Maybe it is finally starting to dawn on people...

Well, we know that Albert doesn't like to practice and that he has little, if any, respect for authority.

So if Shanahan says he must complete this test before he participates in any practices with the team, then is anybody surprised that Haynesworth is having so much trouble passing the test? Haynesworth has already stated that he doesn't want to be there anyway.

Posted by: CapsNut | August 6, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins should immediately abandon any individual work with him and leave him alone - to stand alone - while the rest of the team practices. When Fat Albert attempts to join the others, he should be firmly directed to the test field where he can pass his conditioning test. If he declines, turn away from him and go back to paying attention to the rest of the team.

The Redskins have the power to make this child face his selfish behavior. If he continues to act as he does, he won't be an active member of the roster. Unfortunately the acquisition of Fat Albert was a stupid one, but we can either give in and allow his selfish behavior to persist, or put our foot down and attempt to modify the child's behavior hoping to salvage productivity.

When Fat Albert passes the conditioning test, he should be welcomed into the fold, not with glee and happiness, but with the assurance that performance and practice translate into a slot on the first team. The past is the past, but flopping on the field this year will be grounds for reduced play this year.

Giving into Fat Albert is an option that, if exercised, returns us to the Zornskins. Shunning the cancer shows the team is moving away from the past debacles and is willing to make its highest paid player the poster child for the player never to emulate.

Posted by: laserwizard | August 6, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

All you reporters should thank God for Hansworth, because it seems there are no other stories in camp to be covered. For the love of God, cover camp please! I would really like to know what is going on.

Posted by: Redskin2299 | August 6, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Redskin2299 | August 6, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Redskins Soap Opera never ends...thanks for the gift that keeps on giving...Go Cowboys!

Posted by: JCM-51 | August 6, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Are you black ?

Posted by: hessone | August 6, 2010 12:31 PM

That question is racist!!!!

Posted by: leedisantis | August 6, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

JC, stop apologizing for this pig. There is NO, repeat NO excuse for his actions.

Posted by: Trout1 | August 6, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Why are sportwriters and bloggers obsessed over Albert Haynesworth? You would think he was the first high paid athlete to miss training camp either by injury or holdout. Give it a rest people!! Geez, he is a football player, not the president. You people are angry at him, angry at each other and for what? Football? You would think this shiiit actually affects some of you personally.

Posted by: ged0386 | August 6, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Samson 151 responding to earlier post said:

""If his knee is swollen (as apparently it is every year - according to YOUR earlier reports)- doesn't it make sense to hold him out of practice? It makes sense to me."

"It does if Albert insists he can't go. However if you took a look at the knees of half the players on the field, you'd probably find swelling.

There's nothing simple about these cases. Basically the player is making the call. If he feels he can run the test, he runs the test. Otherwise he points to his knee and says "it's still sore". And that's about it. "

Okay, and thanks for the response, but how do you know this?

If Albert is really making the call, why is that not being reported? Seems like something reporters would really grab on to and talk up if they could. It would even make the level of hysteria and constant "updating" on an otherwise pretty straightforward story almost appropriate. But I haven't seen this "reported" anywhere. I just don't see the hyped "story" as being anywhere near as viable as taking what they're saying at face value. Shanahan's statements just make too much sense.

This is just the press trying to keep controversy going so that fools like me click articles and leave comments behind.

Remember all the hype that AH would absolutely for sure be traded away in April - for a third round pick and the team would likely eat most of the signing bonus. Didn't happen. Which shouldn't be a surprise because... it didn't make any sense either.

Same thing with the whole "making Albert play nose tackle" thing. Only an idiot would play someone with that kind of a ability in a spot that doesn't take advantage of it. And of course, Haslett said all along that he would play DE and slide into the middle on 3rd downs. 3rd down - passing downs - in the middle of a 3-4 is not the same thing as the "space-eating-guy-role" meant to defend the run. So really, the team was never really trying to do something that was stupid and non-sensical. What a shock. Yet - that's STILL the story sometimes.

And while I'm here - I feel the same way about Brett Favre too. It's just reporters trying to make the mundane seem important. I see nothing strange at all about a 41 year old man coming off ankle surgery who wants to play but isn't sure he will be able to. I also have no problem believing that he never texted anyone that he was retiring (mostly because, since he obviously still wants to play, that would be kind of an insane thing to do). Yet, even after he denied it ever happened, the media continues with the story that he is some kind of a**hole who is just leading people on. Again, his side of the story makes sense to me. Did last year too. And the year before that too. I think the 24 hour news cycle is just tough to fill. Especially in August.

Posted by: bigfoot1 | August 6, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Maybe they should put 2 piles of money 300 yards apart and have him run the test then. Amazing, no knee pain!

Posted by: jmdewitt | August 6, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

So drop the stipulation that he pass the test first. This is insane. If you're upset that the guys can't pass the test, then don't give him the test. You come up with this phony-baloney test to embarrass the guy, and now that he can't pass it your mad at him? I'm not defending at all Haynesworth's actions up to this point, but this is absolutely absurd. You're point was made. Either cut him or drop the test and let him practice.

Posted by: Tempy_McJobhunt | August 6, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

capsnut wrote:
"What Haynesworth is doing trying to make Shanahan blink. Either Shanahan let's Haynesworth practice w/o passing the test, let Haynesworth sit out and continue to occupy a roster spot, or Shanahan cuts Haynesworth because it doesn't sound like IR is a possibility here."

"Either Shanahan let's Haynesworth practice w/o passing the test"
Then Fat Al keeps $36 mill, practices and plays without passing the test - and mud on the coaches face.

"...let Haynesworth sit out and continue to occupy a roster spot"
Then Fat Al keeps $36 mill, does not practice and plays later without passing the test - and mud on the coaches face.

"... or Shanahan cuts Haynesworth because it doesn't sound like IR is a possibility here."
Then Fat Al keeps $36 mill, plays for another team without passing the test - and mud on the coaches face.

All losing options for Dan and Shanny

Posted by: kedavis | August 6, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

This fat, lazy, no good punk is doing exactly what he wants to do...nothing.
He doesn't want to practice, doesn't want to run the 'shuttle test', so as a punishment, the Skins tell him he can't practice. Isn't that sort of like the kid who skipped school getting punished by being suspended??

Posted by: scmonty1 | August 6, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

How come nobody talks about Albert Haynesworthless anymore?

Posted by: nativedc | August 6, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

The team has completely mismanaged this entire situation, and the fact that he actually likes the scheme is further proof of that. When this all started months ago, did Shanahan and Haslett sit down with Hayensworth and actually say, "Before you object, lets show you what you'll be doing..."? Nope. They played the "You're the the player, I'm the coach, now do what I tell you" card. The coaches let their own inflated sense of importance guide their actions, so rather than solve the problem, they've made it larger.

Another brilliant hire by Danny.

Posted by: Tempy_McJobhunt | August 6, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the usual hate posts from a bunch of 99ers who hate the fact that Haynesworth earns more in one game than the government will pay them in 20 years.

Posted by: Nemo24601 | August 6, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: msuic76 | August 6, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

And he STILL gets paid to stand around. Let's take some of his money then and give it to the folks in the Gulf Region who really need it and WANT to work. Back in the day, this used to be called a p!$$ing contest. Pointless. Who can get it higher up the wall.....

Posted by: msuic76 | August 6, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Don't know if this is an option, but can Shanny, at any point, impose fines for FA's inability to pass the conditioning test?

Posted by: BillStoner | August 6, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

msuic wrote:
"And he STILL gets paid to stand around."

Ah, yes - that's right. And he's not playing because his coach won't let him play, not because he's a holdout and not there. Be4 many go into the "failed test", he's not paid to pass test, he's paid to play D line. How do you know others can pass the same test? They haven't taken it.

Take $ from him?
LOL
That'll go over well with his union when he's not violated his contract in any way.

Face it, stuck with him. A clue was no one else begged to have him, especially for $200 mill. Dumb and Dumber (Dan and Vinny) and now new dummy (Shanny) who doesn't realize that Fat Albert is not getting paid to NOT workout.

Posted by: kedavis | August 6, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

msuic wrote:
"And he STILL gets paid to stand around."

Take $ from him?
LOL

Posted by: kedavis | August 6, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

BillStoner: No, fines are not an option and would violate the collective bargaining agreement. Redskins doctors have agreed he is injured. The MRI cannot see soft tissue injuries, to which Albert is prone. You cannot fine a player for refusing to play hurt, let alone refusing to take a Death Test hurt.

As I have said, the Redskins' options are to keep him on the roster, put him on Reserved/Injured, or waive or cut him (they are the same thing for a player with more than four years in the league, unless they waived/injured him, in which case he would be entitled to be paid until he healed.

Posted by: Nemo24601 | August 6, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 6, 2010 9:49 AM

MrIrvin88,
As low class as AH is, you and all fans of America's crackwagon have no class at all. We just wait for Tony R(Homo) to choke again. You know its coming. Your pathetic team is the only team in history to have a owner, coach and coke Irvin arrested for felonies in the same year. Come again chokers?????

Posted by: jb3812121 | August 6, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Laserwizard: "The Redskins need to realize they are dealing with a child in Fat Albert. He is not going to do what he doesn't want to do, and nothing will change this."

Ah yes, that is how once upon a time in Virginia they said that blacks could not be set free, they were like children ...

Posted by: Nemo24601 | August 6, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

how any redskins fan can bang on the cowboys when jerry smith was the original hog smoker, dexter manley and that crew started the coke-a-holic NFL rage, and they have not won a game a gainst a team over .500 in a decade and to top that they have 2 strike bowl 8 game championships in 90 years compared to 5 ligit in dallas. take that racist name and your barney frank loving friends and play fantasy football. and maybe check their head to head record where dallas has sprayed team shasta like a $20 hooker.

Posted by: doyouktt | August 6, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Hainesworth will pass the test when pigs fly! oh... wait... it's been reported that fat boy was flying on the treadmill...

I guess dreams do come true...

Posted by: tommycat | August 6, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Put Haynesworth on the practice squad already and let's be done with this. Who can cheer for him anymore?

Posted by: bobilly2 | August 6, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Any news about Albert Haynesworth in the last 5 minutes?

Posted by: randysbailin | August 6, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Albert will pass the test on Monday. Guaranteed. By Wednesday we'll be back to the usual training camp story about how the 'Skins will challenge for the division title.

Posted by: allknowingguy | August 6, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Suck my doyouktt will ya!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | August 6, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Washington Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth called into the "Kirk McEwen & Mike O'Meara Morning Show" today...(WINK WINK)

Check out the video....You will enjoy it!

Link: http://www.theedge1059.com/article.asp?id=1906074&SPID=38037

Posted by: JEFFSHAMROCK | August 6, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

alex35322 is right. Let's get past Fat-Albert and the "test".... let's get ready for some football.

Posted by: herbertfoley7 | August 6, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

I got an idea, let's tell him he is only going to play the nose, every down, every game....maybe he will stay away some more......What a friggin milk baby....

Posted by: klangley69 | August 6, 2010 11:36 PM | Report abuse

It's sad, in 20years this guy will probably be a medical nightmare.

Posted by: Theone9 | August 7, 2010 12:23 AM | Report abuse

fat boy is going out onto a football field not up in space

concern about the unknown, wake up number 92, wake up

fat boy I hate to tell you this but they are not casting for the twilight zone anymore

Posted by: geg5100 | August 7, 2010 1:40 AM | Report abuse

yeah that is true, major brands do give out free samples of their popular health products best place to check is http://bit.ly/bf1xD8 send it to your friends

Posted by: joshuajeff7 | August 7, 2010 3:56 AM | Report abuse

The good news in all of this is it takes the spotlight off of the team's apparent struggles in camp so far, especially on offense. The O-Line as a whole is barely NFL caliber at this point, the receiving corps depth chart is lead by a 38 year old, McNabb is the only QB on the team capable of winning at this point (should have dropped Grossman and kept Brennan), and Clinton Portis is likely to rev up his commentary the moment there is an open mike. So by focusing on Haynesworth instead of the gaps in the team, the media is doing the Redskins a big favor.

Posted by: bfjam | August 7, 2010 7:21 AM | Report abuse