Hall says Orakpo will 'fit perfectly' in Redskins' new defensive scheme

As we've previously reported, cornerback DeAngelo Hall is excited about the switch from a 4-3 defense to a version of the Pittsburgh Steelers' 3-4. Hall also is eager to watch linebacker/defensive end Brian Orakpo work in the new scheme.

"A 4-3 is so stagnant," Hall said the other day at Redskins Park. "Guy's going to come from here, he's going to come from there. We've got Orakpo on one side. You know he's coming at the end every single time. A 3-4 is going to give you a chance to kind of mix it up a little bit.

"Rak might be at end one play. He might be [at] outside linebacker. He might be rushing. He might be dropping back. He might even play some safety for us. It's just going to give us a chance to put him and the rest of the playmakers anywhere and kind of mix it up. You're not going to know where guys are coming from."

Although Orakpo had 11 sacks in a strong rookie season, his best days are ahead of him under defensive coordinator Jim Haslett, Hall strongly believes.

"He's definitely a prototypical 3-4 outside backer - size-wise, ability-wise, mindset-wise," Hall said. "He can get after the passer, hands down. I think he fits perfectly in the scheme."

It's all about the draft

Mark Maske and Gene Wang of the Post discuss the Redskins' draft options on "Washington Post Live with Ivan Carter" on Comcast SportsNet.

By Jason Reid  |  April 2, 2010; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  3-4 defense , Brian Orakpo , Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Eric Berry speaks of Sean Taylor, Redskins' new defense after visit
Next: Redskins won't tip their hand as Bradford, McCoy, Tebow visit

Comments

Now fancy that. Designing a scheme where the players fit. Who'd a thunk it? How will Coach Hall fit in the new defensive scheme?

Posted by: League-Source | April 2, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

beep (did I do that right?)

Posted by: westjr88 | April 2, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

This is it...this is the year to make up for years of ignoring the O-line. We can't afford to blow this.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 2, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sold on Bulaga or Williams as elite Left Tackles myself. I'm hoping Okung is there at #4 and then I'd feel a whole lot better about it. I just get very leary when I hear people saying we have to take a tackle with that pick no matter what.

I agree that the offensive line needs to be addressed big time. I'd rather trade down out of that #4 pick than take Berry. Like you said, the LT position is deep. You can trade down and still get players that caliber of Williams of Bulaga.

I guess this is how I'd rate the viable options:

1- Take either Bradford or Okung at 4
2- Trade down and take Bulaga or Williams
3- Take Berry or Suh at 4
4- Take Bulaga or Williams at 4
5- Trade down for Clausen
6- Take Clausen at 4

Posted by: dfbovey | April 2, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dfbovey | April 2, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | April 2, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I will say this LS....he can catch. CR22 couldn't catch a lint ball with scotch tape gloves.

Posted by: westjr88 | April 2, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

beep (did I do that right?)

Posted by: westjr88 | April 2, 2010 11:04 AM

Depends on what you were trying to do. We usually do beep AT THE END of the thread, not the beginning. But if you were trying to alert a Smart Car to get out of your way, you probably did it right.

Posted by: League-Source | April 2, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

"...Taylor's birthday was Thursday; he would have been 27."

Damn. Just.....Damn.

Posted by: 4-12 | April 2, 2010 10:54 AM

Another great one who failed to make it to 25......

Still upset Redskins (and soon to be looking at Agent Zero) haven't focused their efforts in the city to help reduce gun violence...especially after the tragedy on South Side earlier this week....

...My uncle lives only blocks from where the drive by happened...and I also got a bunch of youth I know on that side....Any of them cold have been gunned down that day......

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 2, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Hmmm...Hall seems to be onboard. Who would've thought? LOL

Next article will be about Fletcher's opinion.

Come on draft day. We need some actual news.

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | April 2, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

How will Coach Hall fit in the new defensive scheme?

Posted by: League-Source | April 2, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

He's already answered this question, he will get back to being one of the best young corners in the game.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | April 2, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

"Rak might be at end one play. He might be [at] outside linebacker. He might be rushing. He might be dropping back. He might even play some safety for us."

Good...now we don't have to burn #4 overall on Eric Berry.

Everone happy now?

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 2, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

still not completely convinced we're goin' be exclusively a 3-4, at least not this season...all the interviews with coaches and players on redskins.com make it seem like they're not certain yet, but they want to eventually transition to a 3-4...i wouldn't be surprised if we run a base 4-3 more than a 3-4 next year, but as with gregg williams we incorporate alot of different schemes/packages...and i also got a feelin' we're goin' see a brand new scheme, some hybrid...i don't think we should take the phrase being pushed by coaches, "redskins defense," lightly...shanahan's year off got his creative juices flowing, maybe he came up with some innovative new defense...

Posted by: altarkenton | April 2, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | April 2, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I get it now, I think. Shoulda beeped on the other thread when this one came up, right?

Posted by: westjr88 | April 2, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Gotta say, I do love the idea of Orakpo as an OLB in a 3-4 scheme...I can see him doing some real damage from that spot.

I'll never understand what the hell Blache was playing him standing up in a 4-3 though...nucking futs...

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 2, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I could care less if they play a 4-3, a 3-4 or a 1-7 as long as its effective.

Posted by: westjr88 | April 2, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

......make that 1-6.

Posted by: westjr88 | April 2, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Al, it seems to me the final determination will be made when they see what kind of personnel they have lined up for the switch. They probably won't go to a full-on 3-4 in 2010, but it looks like they'll be headed that way.

I'd count on more of a hybrid look this year.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 2, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 2, 2010 11:13 AM |

Well....blame Cerrato for drafting him....

...They needed a 4-3 SAM and got a 3-4 OLB.

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 2, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

"Closer, bottom line is if this team continues to build the team backwards the team will still reside in the basement of the NFC East. ...

O-line 1st and foremost. QB DISTANT 2nd. Nothing else matters nearly enough."
---------
To clarify, I agree with this. The Redskins have much more pressing needs than safety. They need to address the OL and I hope they do so. Still, we're not set at safety so I don't think you would necessarily pass on a safety you think is a difference maker to take a tackle you don't. I'm not saying this is Berry or that this is the Redskins at #4 this year, but sometimes you take the safety.

It's weird that the draft is more about value than talent, even when a player fills a need. I guess it's because talent is often an unknown, even with all the film and workouts. Still, I'd argue that value is sometimes unknown. There are times when having a great tackle will win a game for you, but there are also times when having a great safety will win a game for you. Maybe I'm biased--Ken Houston was one of my favorite players of all time.

Posted by: closer44 | April 2, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Good...now we don't have to burn #4 overall on Eric Berry.

Everone happy now?

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 2, 2010 11:11 AM

Let's ask Coach Hall. "Coach, what will Berry be doing when Orakpo's at Safety?"

Posted by: League-Source | April 2, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Draft Day...

Skins trade #4 pick to SF for #13 and #17. SF solidifies an already good defense with Berry.

At 13, Skins pick Trent Williams or Brian Beluga. At 17, Skins pick Earl Thomas.

At 34, Skins trade down AGAIN, this time with the Patriots, for their #47 and #53. Belichik takes Tebow, thus thwarting Al Davis. Davis, having drafted Taylor Mays at #8, then selects Bruce Campbell OT, and hires a high school coach to teach Cable the principles of the unbalanced line. Davis cackles that Campbell will catch more TD than Heyward-Bey.

At 47, Washington takes Colt McCoy. Bruce Allen announces that in the future, all Redskins QB's will be named "Colt".

At 53, Washington takes Charlie Brown, OT USC. Shanamanahan says Brown will also kick FG. Hunter Smith is tutored on LVP method of holding.

Book it!

Posted by: dpc2003 | April 2, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: westjr88 | April 2, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse
_____________

You know what though? My years of playing taught me that for the most part I'd rather have someone who can play truly lockdown corner in a man-on-man situation than someone who's a gambler with better hands but who's going to get burnt more often. I think Rogers has better cover skills overall than DHall, and that has value. It seems to me that DHall needs to operate in a primarily zone scheme where he has help over the top if he's going to continually jump routes or try and bait the QBs. He can't always stay with his guy despite his speed. Rogers, although he can't catch, is a guy who could be an important piece of the puzzle if used properly. In my opinion, we can't have the entire defensive backfield as a bunch of ball hawks unless they have the coverage skills to go with it, and those guys are very rare (i.e., D Green, although his speed sometimes made up for an occasional blown play). I think that Phillip Buchanon falls into the "good ball hawk, not so good coverage skills" category also.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | April 2, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

dcp, I'd be ECSTATIC, if that happens...sadly...probably wont happen...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 2, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Greg, it's all a matter of who's anxious enough to move up to get the guy they really want. That draft value chart is BS: it depends on who's between you and the guy you want, and who you think they'll take.

The Patriots are fat with draft picks this year... I can see them trading up. And Singletary has a raging chubster for Berry.

Posted by: dpc2003 | April 2, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

beeps!!!

Posted by: Smiley2 | April 2, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsfan713 | April 2, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

you are right. It's just so damn frustrating when they hit him in the chest for 6 the other way and he drops it. He will be better when they get on the same page and gets some help up top.

Posted by: westjr88 | April 2, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source |
--------------
Coach Hall: "Well, they say he can play a little CB, so maybe... Hey, wait a minute!"

Posted by: closer44 | April 2, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

beeps!!!

Posted by: Smiley2 | April 2, 2010 11:31 AM

Wipe that smile off your face, azzhat.

Posted by: League-Source | April 2, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Can we lose this Bulaga talk?

Here is a draft analysis of DE Brandon Graham:

The numbers are pretty staggering. They're even more impressive when you line them up against the two guys slated ahead of him. Another point to make, I wrote the above piece before the Senior Bowl, so Graham's performance and and competition there aren't factored in. But if you consider the Senior Bowl, it is a microcosm of something Michigan fans have known ever since Graham donned a winged helmet. The better Graham's competition, the better he plays:

Graham's game picked up as the season went on despite Michigan's struggles. Against ranked teams Graham was insane. Against #7 Iowa and Bulaga, Graham racked up 3.5 TFL and 2 sacks.

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 2, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dpc2003 | April 2, 2010 11:30 AM

I can only see that being half right...the Pats are a good organization that knows this draft is the perfect draft to have so many picks. I doubt that they have any one player that they're so high on that it's worth parting with all those pics. They have a ton of holes and they have a chance to fill 'em with all those early draft picks.

But if Singletary is as hard up for Berry as you seem to think, I could see that type of trade happening with SF.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 2, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I'm starting to like this kid Clausen. Realizing bradford is not an option. People say he's kinda like ryan leaf, I doubt in anyway that this is the case. But haveing a little chip on your shoulder with a killer competitive edge is what may be missing in JC17. As long as he can make all the throws at his pro day. let's imagine coming away from this draft with Okung and Clausen sprinkle in O-linemen and a late late round RB. I'd be a happy man. I can dream can't I.

Posted by: sthai75 | April 2, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsfan713 | April 2, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: westjr88 | April 2, 2010 11:32 AM |

Rogers was burned for more TD's then Hall last year and can't catch so your argument is not a good one.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 2, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Against #7 Iowa and Bulaga, Graham racked up 3.5 TFL and 2 sacks.
-----------
I remember when we drafted Chris Samuels all the talking heads saying that he had not given up a single sack in 4 years of high school and 4 years of college. Pretty amazing.

Posted by: closer44 | April 2, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I don't think Tebow gets by Al Davis in the second round.

I think Belichik is intrigued with Tebow -- playing him in the Wildcat for his first 2-3 years instead of just holding a clipboard, then replacing Brady when he retires.

Posted by: dpc2003 | April 2, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

sthai, I just can't wrap my mind around having a QB that describes himself as "loving and caring". I mean, is he interviewing for the NFL or a Match.com ad?

Okung is the pick. I just know it.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 2, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Somehow...

I doubt "Chip on Shoulder" is one of the intangibles scouts are looking at in prospective draftees.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | April 2, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

No way should the Redskins take a safety with the #4 pick.

How many top choices can you spend at one position before it becomes ridiculous?

Detroit drafted 3 wide receivers in Round 1. That finally got Matt Millen fired.

Washington has already drafted top 10 for safety in 2004 and 2007.

To me this draft like 2009 is about finding the best player at the spot.

The Redskins simply are lacking at too many positions to lock in on QB and just say this draft is about finding a passer.

This team has no offensive line, no running backs under 30, no left outside linebacker for the 3-4, no depth behind Buchanon at CB, etc.

I think safety can work itself out IF the team moves Landry to strong and goes into FA to pickup a veteran FS over the summer.

I don't look at safety as being an expensive fix.

Posted by: leopard09 | April 2, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 2, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse
____________

Rogers had a down year last year, and bit on some moves that he shouldn't have fallen for, but I viewed his performance as something of an anomoly - he's been more consistent in years past. Also, I don't necessarily think he's the greatest cover corner out there; I just think he has more coverage skills than DHall or anyone else we could dig up at this point in free agency or the draft (since I assume we won't draft corner early) to serve as our #1 corner.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | April 2, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Former ND QB's who are dicks
Joe T.
Joe M.
Rick M.
Brady Q.
R. Powlus

If Jimmy C. is also a dick, he comes from a long line of dicks.

PS --- this post is only rating dick-ness, not talent.

Posted by: dpc2003 | April 2, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I'm loving and caring too.

But I don't love the woman, only the moments, and do I care for some head at the moment?

Yeah I would.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 2, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: leopard09 | April 2, 2010 11:43 AM |
Amen. Berry is soooo tempting, but we are in some ridiculous positions of need on O line due to some pretty stupid drafting in the past. Gotta get caught up.

Posted by: edvar | April 2, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

This just in: Notre Dame is changing the name of their school to Notre Dick. Stay tuned for more details...

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 2, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Book it!

Posted by: dpc2003 | April 2, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Who would the 49ers want that bad to trade both of their 1st rounders for? I agree with Herm Edwards, the 49ers should be going after McNabb for a 2nd rounder, they would no doubt win their division with Mcnabb throwing to Davis and Crabtree with Gore out of the backfield.

Posted by: ga8085 | April 2, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Okung will not get past Detroit at #2 overall and I'm fine with that. The thing is who will BA/MS take there? They can watch the tape from last year and see our most glaring needs are on the O-Line, thats why it's best to try our hardest to trade back to somewhere between picks 9-14. That way Trent Williams or Anthony Davis will be there waiting, these guys aren't stud LT's but they will be superstar RT's. And in any trade you obtain more lower round picks to pair with the 37th overall pick in exchange for Jared Gaither and maybe a 3rd pick from the Ravens. That's the kind of draft I'm praying Tim tebow style for the Skins to have. BTW How bout my Blue Devils!!!

Posted by: robbkels | April 2, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chia_Pet | April 2, 2010 11:42 AM

You're right they're looking for passive, non vocal leadership skills in a QB of an NFL franchise so when everything starts going south we can blame everyone and anything other than the QB who doesn't have a clue. It's part of the position, unfair isn't it, oh well you better start conveying your opinion because it's the most glamorous position in proffesional sports.

Posted by: sthai75 | April 2, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

HALL:
Poor in man to man coverage. better in zone coverage.
Poor tackler, decent hitter. He isn't afraid to use his body he is just bad at it.
Normally put on 2nd or 3rd receiver.
Excellent hands. Great return ability factor after ints.

ROGERS:
Normally covers opponents #1 reciever.

Posted by: Stu27 | April 2, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Browns get CB Sheldon Brown, LB Chris Gocong; Eagles get 4th and 5th rd picks, LB Alex Hall

I hate the Eagles getting extra picks.

Posted by: will_ga | April 2, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I don't look at safety as being an expensive fix.

Posted by: leopard09
I strongly agree, look at guys like Ryan Clark or Chris Horton both low draft picks at safety that turned out ok. We need to fix too much to worry about a safety.

Posted by: joeboggs | April 2, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I don't know about that analysis......

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 2, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

"Chip on shoulder" represents drive, will, and determination.

Yeah, those are three qualities that no coach or GM would want in their players.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 2, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

ROGERS:
1. Good man to man coverage. Still thinks double move is the end all be all to route running and people know it.
2. Good tackler, good hitter. has simply leveled some people in the past, see J. Cribbs.
3. Normally covers opponents #1 reciever.
4. Terrible hands, has dropped some of the easiest ints ever witnessed by man. No return factor after ints cause he aint catchin it in the first place.

Posted by: Stu27
-------------
1. If the double move is his Achilles, how can he be good in man-to-man.
2. Granted. For a corner, anyway.
3. Except when he's been benched.
4. He has no hands, just flippers at the ends of his wrists.

Posted by: closer44 | April 2, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsfan713

SF 713: PB falls into the "scared to tackle" category

Posted by: ElYeah | April 2, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Browns acquire Chris Gocong and Sheldon Brown from Eagles
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 2, 2010 11:58 AM ET
Well, the Browns-Eagles trade didn't take too long to finalize after all.

The Eagles officially announced they have traded cornerback Sheldon Brown and linebacker Chris Gocng to the Browns for linebacker Alex Hall, a fourth-round pick (No. 105), and a fifth-round pick (No.137) in the 2010 draft.

The Browns had 12 picks in this draft, so the move picks up two possible starters for relatively cheap.

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 2, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I hate the Eagles getting extra picks.

Posted by: will_ga

What about that extra no. 1 they're going to get from Oakland for McNabb?

Posted by: ElYeah | April 2, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

He has a ton of pass deflections. That is a CB's job. That makes him better in man to man then Hall who has a lot of route jumping ints but a lot less pass deflections.

Posted by: Stu27 | April 2, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chia_Pet | April 2, 2010 11:42 AM

chip on shoulder in NFL QB = good thing
chip on shoulder in whiny RI poster = bad thing

Posted by: League-Source | April 2, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

ROGERS:
Normally covers opponents #1 reciever.

Posted by: Stu27 | April 2, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Rogers also lacks mental toughness. He sulks when he feels disrespected and allows it to affect his play.

That, moreso than double moves, is his achilles heel.

Posted by: Original_etrod | April 2, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

RI peeps, help me understand something.

As a NFL cornerback if you're Achilles heel is the double move, then how is that NFL corner good in coverage?

It's like saying that "I'm a good husband other than the fact that I cheat on my wife."

Posted by: RedDMV | April 2, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | April 2, 2010 12:23 PM

That you, Tiger?

Posted by: League-Source | April 2, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | April 2, 2010 12:11 PM |

Oh really where did you get that stat from I can't find.

I will take and INT over a deflected pass anyday.

For those saying Hall can't tackle he had 58 compared to Rogers 39.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 2, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Hall had 9 passes defensed with 4 picks, Rogers had 12 with ZERO picks.

I think the notion that Rogers is better than Hall in coverage is greatly exaggerated.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 2, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

People need to stop talking about trading our 2nd for Jared Gaither. The Ravens are not as dumb a franchise as us and Ozzie always knows what he's doing. I live here in Baltimore and Gaither's work ethic is constantly questioned. He has all the tools but lacks the drive and will be looking to get paid in two years. Why would we trade our second and not simply draft a younger more hungry lineman with the pick. Doesnt make sense, Ravens seem to eager to let such a "stud" tackle go That should tell you something.

Posted by: Skins281 | April 2, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Past performance (in Greg Blache's defense) is not a reliable predictor of future performance (in Jim Haslett's defense). Trying to be optimistic...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 2, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

I would say they're both above average corners, but neither is a "shut down" corner
(nor are they "shut up" corners).

What we need are more shut down/shut up corners.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | April 2, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

For those saying Hall can't tackle he had 58 compared to Rogers 39.

Posted by: Flounder21

This is what I'm saying.

Hall isn't a great tackler, nor should you really expect him to be as a corner. But he isn't as bad as people think.

I can recall him making more tackles last year than he missed. A few solid body tackles too...

Posted by: RedDMV | April 2, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Hall had 9 passes defensed with 4 picks, Rogers had 12 with ZERO picks.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 2, 2010 12:30 PM |

I will take Hall in that comparison, plus Hall is not a whiny b_tch.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 2, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

@closer44 from Wikipedia...pretty amazing!

"[Samuels] started 42 straight games, from early in his 1996 freshman season until his last regular-season game as a senior, without yielding a sack. Samuels didn’t allow a QB pressure in 1999, had 91 knockdown blocks and played nearly every offensive snap during the regular season opening many holes for Shaun Alexander, who gained 1,383 yards rushing."

Posted by: HenryStin | April 2, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

It makes a big difference covering the #1 receiver every time as well.

Posted by: Stu27 | April 2, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Poor Charlos Flipperhands... hey it wasn't his choice to be born without opposable thumbs.

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | April 2, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Tiger didn't get his (non) pimping ways from me, League-S.

In fact it's going around that Mike & Chuck had a heavy influence on him.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 2, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sthai75 | April 2, 2010 11:38 AM

Vinny Cerrato would take Clausen with the #4 pick. That's all you need to know.

Why would anyone want to continue on the path to nowhere laid out by Snyderatto?

Shanahan seldom shows his cards before a draft, so I'm interpreting all this activitiy with the QBs a smokescreen. He never talked to Jay Cutler before drafting him.

Posted by: Alan4 | April 2, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

just got here... too lazy to read through everything but the boys cut Flozel Adams and Ken Hamlin... I imagine, with both of those guys playing positions we need, that we should at least bring them in and talk to them... Flozel is declining and is a dirty player but he is certainly an upgrade over Heyer and the non-existent LT we currently have on the roster... and Hamlin is more of a FS than is LL... Not saying sign either of them but as stop gaps for now as we wait for the future to arrive they might not be the worst idea...?? Thoughts?

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | April 2, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

It makes a big difference covering the #1 receiver every time as well.

Posted by: Stu27 | April 2, 2010 12:39 PM |

Again you making a statement thats not true, stop making sh_t up. Rogers plays RCB Rogers play LCB they don't role Rogers to cover the best receiver, they cover whoever lines up in front of them.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 2, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

PFT:

Rams haven't talked about trading down

St. Louis Rams General Manager Billy Devaney says he hasn't heard from any other teams that are interested in acquiring the first overall pick in the draft, and he says he doesn't know if any other team likes Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford enough to put together a package of picks to get him.

"Because they may be [thinking] ... 'OK, we may like Sam Bradford a lot, but we like Jimmy Clausen just about almost as much," Devaney told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Why should we give up picks and go up and get St. Louis' pick?'"

"Why should we give up picks?" is a good question. Another good question is, "Why should we want to pay the $40 million guaranteed or so that the first overall pick will demand this year?"

Until the NFL does something to rein in the contracts given to the players chosen at the top of the first round, it's going to be tough for the team that owns the first overall pick to trade down. On the other hand, a lot can change in three weeks, and it's still possible that some team will fall in love with Bradford and decide he's worth the price.

For now, though, everyone seems to think the Rams are going to take Bradford first overall. Devaney acknowledges that's the conventional wisdom.

"Obviously, he's going to get strong consideration," Devaney said. "That's not earth-shattering."

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | April 2, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Cowboys cut Flozell Adams, so there's another team in the draft needing Olinemen and tackles.

Eagles traded a couple players away to Cleveland to get some picks in the draft.

Frankly, that pisses me off. The Eagles are stockpiling picks in a talent-rich draft as usual.

If there's one thing I'm a bit disappointed in with our "braintrust" so far, it's been the inability to make some trades and recoup picks this year.

Posted by: p1funk | April 2, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Just read on PFT that Ken Hamlin is going to be released by the Cowboys.

Guess he's not as good as I thought.

Should the 'skins "bring him in" for a visit?

Posted by: RedDMV | April 2, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Vinny Cerrato would take Clausen with the #4 pick. That's all you need to know.

Posted by: Alan4 | April 2, 2010 12:44 PM

You've forgotten how they operated. Snyder and Cerrato would have traded up for the number one pick to grab Clausen. Not worth taking a chance of losing him.

Posted by: League-Source | April 2, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Flounder thats generally where the best receivers line up.

Posted by: Stu27 | April 2, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | April 2, 2010 12:51 PM |

Yes lets blame that on the new braintrust, not the old. We have know one that anybody wants. Thanks to terrible depth issues even if we did you can't trade a position away and hope a draft pick can start.

The eagles can trade those guys because they have better players on the team already.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 2, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I always thought Hamlin was one of their better DBs.

Posted by: Stu27 | April 2, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | April 2, 2010 12:51 PM

Come on, funk -- Redskins have a lot more needs than they have surplus talent. The guys we could trade are guys that we're counting on. Trade one of them and you open up a new need that you have to fill with a fourth round pick.

Posted by: League-Source | April 2, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Flounder thats just not true... When Rogers was playing well he was consistenly matched up on the other teams #1 and winning. The first half of last year and most of 2008 when he was healthy he was marking opposing teams #1's..... However, much like the rest of our team, his effort dipped during last season and his mental capacity to not be a pussy overtook him and he lost the faith of Zorn and Blatche, and so he was no longer assigned opposing teams top wideouts...

This coincided with his little rants about not wanting to play for us and the little brat we now have on our hands.

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | April 2, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Hall had 9 passes defensed with 4 picks, Rogers had 12 with ZERO picks.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 2, 2010 12:30 PM |

I will take Hall in that comparison, plus Hall is not a whiny b_tch.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 2, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Hall is a superior cornerback to Carlos Rogers in every way except for providing run-support.

Of the 65 cornerbacks in the NFL who played at least 50% of their teams d-snaps, Carlos Rogers ranked 59th in opposing QB rating against at 112.5 (meaning the cumulative QB rating of opposing QBs throwing into his coverage was 112.5). Hall ranked 4th (54.2) behind only Darelle Revis, Leon Hall and Charles Woodson.

Haters talk about Hall getting burned "all the time", yet they choke up when you ask for any actual examples when that happened, and predictably they have to fall back on the atrocious 8 games he spent in Oakland.

Rogers on the other hand has about 8 games in his career at the start of the 2008 season when he played solid CB.

So Rogers plays well for 8 games in his career and he's a more "solid" CB than Hall.

Hall (a 2x ProBowler) played poorly for 8 games in his career and he's an overpaid overrated CB who gets burned all the time.

Go figure.

Posted by: p1funk | April 2, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | April 2, 2010 12:59 PM

Thats BS Rogers played the same CB position every game last year, and who was facing the teams best Receivers when Rogers got benched the year before.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 2, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

If everyone keeps saying "you can win with an average quaterback" and good offensive line...

THEN

Why not draft a QB at #4? This is a win-win situation. If either Claussen or Bradford turns out to be a stud, then we're set at QB for a decade...if they bust, then you still have two "average" QB's on your team.

ALSO...

I would not be concerned with a QB at #4 if they took a Tackle at #37. If they don't pick a Tackle with the 1st or 2nd round pick, THEN you scream foul!

I think we're in a win-win situation.

Posted by: rickyroge | April 2, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Beep Beep

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 2, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | April 2, 2010 12:44 PM |

I am like you, anything associated with the V-man is no good. And up until today I was in the same boat with you. Just stating the possibility of an open mind. For the record I never implied taking him @4. Never hurts to have a firey competitor at the QB position. I believe Phillip Rivers has that jerk-a$$ attitude and he goes to war every sunday with that mentality.

Posted by: sthai75 | April 2, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Reading the Cowboys blog it seems that their fans are more upset over the release of Ken Hamlin than Flozell Adams.

I think the Redskins should make a run at Hamlin. I've been doing a little reading and he served as the MLB for their secondary -- Laron could use someone like that.

No to Flo. I don't like the dude. I think he's a dirty piece of sh*t that is willing to jeopardize the career of his opponent. Besides, the dude is a walking "False start".

Posted by: RedDMV | April 2, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Can someone please tell me who told DeAngelo Hall that he was the leader of this team? Everytime I look up he has something to say about the team like he's the G.M. or coach..

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | April 2, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

RE: CR22/DA23 - Those PDEF, TKL, and INT stats are great and all. One thing they don't account for is how often a particular CB is not thrown at because of shutdown coverage. This is where I feel CR22 gets so much flack uneccessarily. More often than not balls aren't even thrown his way because he is tight on his guy. Last year was a slumpy year for him I agree. But as someone posted before you cannot replace the value of a corner completely taking his WR assignment out of plays. There should be a coverage stat call 'Checked Down From' or 'Shutdown' - I feel CR would excel in that category. The problem lies where the play finally does come his way it is only because he was finally found to be out of position or the QB simply knew he won't throw a pick that way anyhow so why not chance it?

Posted by: ScoGrass | April 2, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse