Haslett will remain flexible about using 3-4 defense

On Monday, Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan said the team is still committed to the 3-4 defensive front, and coaches feel they have the right pieces in place to make it work. But the Redskins still showed several other fronts last week against the Rams, and defensive coordinator Jim Haslett explained that those different looks don't necessarily mean the team's commitment to the 3-4 has changed.

"It depends on what kind of personnel groupings you get," defensive coordinator Jim Haslett said. "The 3-4, notoriously, you play about 50 percent of the time and the rest of it's a four-man line, based off what kind of personnel you get," Haslett said.

Against the Rams last Sunday, the Redskins usually used a four-man line in run situations. A coordinator running a 3-4 has to remain flexible, which is why Redskins fans have seen so many different formations. While Haslett might like four defensive linemen against the run, if a team is "going to put five wides in the game, we're gonna stay in the regular defense," he said.

It will be interesting to see which formation coaches think works best against Michael Vick and the Eagles this week. Because of his mobility, Vick can hurt teams that choose to blitz in the wrong situations. For that reason, Haslett said a player like Vick challenges a team's depth up front and will likely require a heavy rotation of bodies along the line.

"You've got to be ready to play a lot of the guys against him," Haslett said.

And what does Haslett tell those guys? That's not as easy. When coaching in New Orleans, the first time the Saints faced the Falcons, Haslett told his players, "Make sure you contain."

"And guys were going half-speed looking at him," Haslett said. "I think there's a fine line in there between going to get him and being smart. One thing defensive linemen have to know is they can never lose him in their eyesight. ...whether you're up field, you're spinning, whatever, you have to make sure you have him in your eyesight all the time."

By Rick Maese  | October 1, 2010; 3:26 PM ET
Categories:  3-4 defense, Jim Haslett
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Punter Josh Bidwell wondered whether career was over
Next: Redskins injury report: probably not very revealing

Comments

Send Laron and Orakpo on a blitz the first series to give him a Vick's Vaporub. Grind him down from the start--heck, knock him out of the game, and might as well try to do it early!

Posted by: farstriker | October 1, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Yo guys, I need some more followers on twitter!!! I just really started using it now that I am writing for bleacherreport.com. Follow me, I will return the favor @Roccoskins

Posted by: roccoskins | October 1, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

DUCK TAPE??? WTF is duck tape? who tapes a duck? why would anyone name a tape after water fowl? oh you mean duct tape as in air conditioning duct.my bad, let me get the duck tape it's right next to the squirell saw and the pigeon mallet

Posted by: nflorida1 | October 1, 2010 3:40 PM

You still have my squirel saw? Wtf? It's been six months now!

Posted by: PlayAction | October 1, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Is it a good sign when your DC says "The 3-4, notoriously...."

It has been notorious 100% of the time since halftime in the Texans game, I'll give him that.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | October 1, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I feel good about the Trent update.

Posted by: iH8dallas | October 1, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

The anchor of the notorious 3-4 defense, is, of course, the Notorious P.I.G. -- Albert Haynesworth.

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | October 1, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

WTF is duck tape?

Posted by: nflorida1 | October 1, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

It's a brand name, Mr. FLA, like Coca Cola and Pepsi are different brands of cola.

See:

I personally prefer Duck Tape to several other versions of duct tape -- because it's stronger, stickier and more economical.

Gorilla Tape is pretty good for certain applications too -- but a little more expensive.

See: http://www.gorillaglue.com/tapes.aspx

Posted by: Vic1 | October 1, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

So, 50% of the time, it's notorious, every time?

something smells like pure gasoline...

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 1, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I will remain flexible about how many beers to drink on Sunday.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 1, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I will remain flexible about how many beers to drink on Sunday.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 1, 2010 3:57 PM

That's a gametime decision for me...and I will probably make adjustments at halftime.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 1, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Brian Fantana: Sex Panther by Odeon. This stuff is illegal in 9 countries. It's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.
Ron Burgundy: It's quite pungent. [cringes] It's a formidable scent; it stings the nostrils in a good way.
Brian Fantana: [daubing the cologne on his neck] Yup.
Ron Burgundy: Brian, I'm gonna be honest with you, that smells like pure gasoline.
Brian Fantana: They've done studies, you know. They say 60% of the time, it works every time.
Ron Burgundy: That doesn't make any sense.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 1, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I will remain flexible about how many beers to drink on Sunday.

Posted by: freakzilla

Posted by: PlayAction

They say the best coaches make adjustments throughout the game.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 1, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

SMELLS LIKE BIGFOOT'S D*CK!

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 1, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I will remain flexible about how many beers to drink on Sunday.

Posted by: freakzilla

Posted by: PlayAction

They say the best coaches make adjustments throughout the game.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 1, 2010 4:00 PM

I need to find me some better assistants.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 1, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I'll give you back the squirell saw when i get my chicken rake back

Posted by: nflorida1 | October 1, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Veronica Corningstone: My God, what is that smell?
Brian Fantana: That's the smell of desire, my lady.
Veronica Corningstone: God no, it smells like, like a used diaper filled with Indian food! Oh, excuse me.
Brian Fantana: You know, desire smells like that to some people.
Garth Holliday: What is that? Smells like a turd covered in burnt hair.
News Station Employee: It smells like Bigfoot's dick!
(cut to Brian being jet-hosed)

Hoser: This is worse than when that raccoon got in the photocopier!

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 1, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

All right, who borrowed my monkey wrench and didn't return it?

Posted by: Vic1 | October 1, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

If you thought Jim Mora was a total failure as a NFL coach and broadcaster (he was terrible Sunday), check out how bad he is at being interviewed.

I'm no big fan of Doug Gottlieb, but he was trying to be professional and gave him every chance to sound good. This is ridiculous.

Posted by: MColeman51 | October 1, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

I used your monkey wrench to fix my deere tractor

Posted by: nflorida1 | October 1, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I hope they try to avoid that Nickel package they ran last week. Seeing that Bradford lit it up against that formation It would lead me to believe that if Vick sees it he'll jump all over it as if it were an under performing pit bull.

Posted by: skins91r | October 1, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I just hope we win

Posted by: iH8dallas | October 1, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

i just hope we win

posted by: ih8dallas October 1, 2010 4:20pm

dude, you posted at 420

Posted by: nflorida1 | October 1, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | October 1, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

It goes both ways. Take away his 3 yard loss due to a very porous line and he has 47yds on 6 carries, 7.8 yd avg. Looking pretty fine if you ask me.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 1, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Right, Stu.

After last game, we can now count on Clinton Portis giving us 6-8 yards a carry from here on out.

Running game fixed.

Clinton Portis will win the rushing title.

Solid stuff, man.

Posted by: p1funk | October 1, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Facts are Facts: our defense is dead last in the league. It's our biggest weakness.

No man senses weakness like Michael Vick!!

Look for an ELECTRIFYING performance against this sub par Skins D.

Posted by: skins91r | October 1, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | October 1, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

i just hope we win

posted by: ih8dallas October 1, 2010 4:20pm

dude, you posted at 420

Posted by: nflorida1 | October 1, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse
nice

Posted by: iH8dallas | October 1, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: beep-beep | October 1, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

It's just Vick my lord. Just go hit the guy and he will fumble, throw an INT, or get hurt. Let him run on you a few times that's fine as long as you are putting him on the floor the rest of the time.

Posted by: Mike4169 | October 1, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

"The last think I want to see is Haslett changing the defense. Let's have some patience people!"

You must be kidding. I've spent most of the year quietly reading how horrible Landry was at free safety just to watch what appears to be more big plays given up in the last two games than it felt like all of last season. Something needs fixing but I've never felt it was a defense that has kept a team averaging something like 16 points in games for years. While the new offense is exciting it's like we've totally shot ourselves in the foot defensively. Maybe in a year or two of draft picks and free agents they'll turn the 3-4 around but right now it just appears to be a stupid choice to have even tried. Landry looks better but now Carter who was playing at close to probowl form looks lost and misused while they've taken a defensive player of the year and turned him into a non factor.Fletcher's not leading the team in tackles anymore, that says his game has been changed after he finally got it to Probowl recognition level. All we needed was slight improvement to the offense to get back into the mix and now it's not going to be enough with a defense as weak as this. You really can't be happy watching Hall miss tackles that Smoot or Springs would have nailed. I've been a lifelong fan. Half my wardrobe, my sofa, recliner, and almost every other household possesion says Redskins on it. Even the salt shakers and cutting boards in the kitchen. It almost makes me wish I'd never been hooked during that 14-2 season with the two monday night loses by a single point. Maybe it is time to finally toss in the towel and expect that whatever crumb of hope for this year has already been dashed and before anything positive could be built and suffered through Dan will give up and start all over all over again.

Posted by: williambyrlpricejr | October 1, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

@ MColeman51

I really agree with you. Jim Mora is a stool. It was listening to a child. He was so in love with the kid. He doesn't know nothing about what he is going as a coach and a sportscaster.

Skins fan is Seattle

Posted by: dmlopez1 | October 1, 2010 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Here is the problem with the skins 3-4 defense when the weakness of the defense is one of the most important position of the 3-4 which is nose tackle the skins need to adjust hwat they need to so is mix that defense up a little bit do things such as play sometimes play 3-3-5 sometimes play 3-4 sometimes play play 3-2-6 here is my thinking shanahan is telling haslett to keep the defense as is and not make any changes or mix things up to confuse opposing signalcallers i don;t know what shanahan got up in his sleeve this month when he faces pretty good QB in vick wk4 rogers wk5 payton manning wk6 jay cutler wk7 matt stafford wk 8 before their bye.

Posted by: rmnkevorkian | October 1, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: williambyrlpricejr | October 1, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Harsh words...perhaps the bitter truth?

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 1, 2010 11:24 PM | Report abuse