Haynesworth speaks, likes new defense

Albert Haynesworth fielded questions following Friday night's win against the Bills. It's the first time he's done so since last season. Because we've waited so long to hear from him, let's go over the entirety of what Haynesworth said to reporters following Friday's game.

On the adjustment: "It's different, but I like it. It's something I got to get used to. Other than that, it's going to be a good defense. It'll allow me to pass rush and everything like that, which is important to me."

On the differences: "What I was told earlier was completely different from what we're doing now. Getting with Haslett these last few weeks has really cleared up a whole lot of stuff. I really enjoy it, and it's great to have him on my side to help me with the defense and stuff."

More on the adjustment: "I've never really played the nose, straight-up nose, so it's a little different. But the one thing is, you do get double-teams, but you got linebackers coming downhill, so they're not going to stand there the whole time, which in a 4-3, they were going to stay on you. ...now it's a lot different. It's still going sideways, which I'm not used to. But after getting all that stuff down, I think it'll be pretty good."

On his ability to make plays: "Oh yeah, you can see in practice, you can see in the games and stuff. I'm going to have one-on-ones and things like that. So it's up to me to beat those one-on-ones and get back in the backfield."

On public criticism: "I don't care. I mean, hell, people been talking about me since I've been born, so it ain't nothing different now."

On starting: "I think I got the talent to play it. I picked up the defense pretty fast. Hey, it's not my call."

More on starting: "Whatever they want me to do, man. I'm just going to keep playing. I know I'm a good player and eventually I'll be with the first team."

On his knee: "Knee's good. It's just stuff I've had to deal with the last few years. It was nothing new, nothing out of the ordinary what I was doing."

More on the defense: "I think it's going to be a great defense. The way we rush and the way we get after people. They're not going to be able to run the ball on us; they're going to have to pass. It's going to free me up for one-on-ones, and hopefully I can have a good season with it."

On problems with teammates: "My teammates, the guys I hang out with and talk to, they never had anything. They said, do what you gotta got to do. They know it's a business, and they understand my position."

On his relationship with Shanahan: "He's a head coach, I'm a player. That's what it is."

By Rick Maese  |  August 13, 2010; 11:55 PM ET
Categories:  3-4 defense , Albert Haynesworth , Jim Haslett , Mike Shanahan , preseason games  | Tags: 3-4 defense, Albert Haynesworth, Jim Haslett, Mike Shanahan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fourth quarter: Redskins 42, Bills 17
Next: Donovan McNabb 'definitely felt comfortable' with new targets

Comments

Still as lot of me's and I's. Back 'em up Fatty

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 14, 2010 12:43 AM | Report abuse

Initial impressions from Scamp:

The young RB's look good. So did Portis for that matter. May be the oline and blocking scheme. May be the players. Probably a combination.

Trent Williams was a good pick. From a guy that wanted Okung this was a good call. Guess that's why they're coaching and I'm watching.

Brandon Banks is fast.

The defense still has some work to put in.

D. Hall actually hit some people. He did have one olay though.

Haynesworth eats double teams. That guy could be great this year. Keep it up and do what you're told Fatty and we'll be alright.

McNabb still has some of his inconsistencies but I'll take 'em compared to what we've had for the last umpteen years.

Not sold on D. Thomas. Really liked A. Armstrong.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 14, 2010 12:50 AM | Report abuse

2nd thoughts:

TE's are gonna be huge this year.

Buffalo isn't very good and this is only the first preseason game.

Gonna be hard to pick the 5 wideouts to keep, especially if you're deadset on keeping one or both of the twins.

Grossman might not be a bad backup.

Our kicker does not worry me.

Our backup olineman have quite a bit of game experience (last year.)

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 14, 2010 12:59 AM | Report abuse

Need to see more D.Thomas working with the first team, Herr scamp..Same with Austin and the Atomic Brandon Banks..Be cool to see them fit in in some capacity other than special teams- the classic "Get him in space and he's GONE!!!", right??

Very excited the 'Skins have a QB of McNabb's caliber..Not since Theismann or Jurgensen have the 'Skins been so equipped at the Almighty QB slot..(sorry, Rypien, you were great, but without the DURATION)...anthems calling...

Posted by: frak | August 14, 2010 1:09 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, and Big Doug Williams, my bad..having a "Budweiser moment"...

Posted by: frak | August 14, 2010 1:14 AM | Report abuse

Zeke, what do you think of the Shanaplan now?

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 14, 2010 1:15 AM | Report abuse

I like winning.

Doesn't matter that it doesn't count yet.

I like winning.

And winning on purpose. Y'know, like we MEANT to win.

Posted by: freakzilla | August 14, 2010 1:18 AM | Report abuse

I wasn't allowed to bring my vuvuzella to watch the attack of the smurfs- Banks, Austin, and Armstrong; no disrespect to Papa smurf, Santana Moss. Coach Shanahan has some decision to make about which one to keep. Now where is Dennis Morris?

Posted by: abxinc | August 14, 2010 1:18 AM | Report abuse

Both Davis and Cooley will have banner years with McNabb at the helm, or even Grossman and an improved o-line ... But, SO GLAD the Eagles maintained their historical cheapness and let us have McNabb , because they knew they could play an adequate Kolb already under contract, rather than pay McNabb Pro-Bowl bucks...

Posted by: frak | August 14, 2010 1:21 AM | Report abuse

You hit the nail on the head... It was like we MEANT to win... It was fun to watch for once.

Posted by: Maauc | August 14, 2010 1:32 AM | Report abuse

3rd and 4

Beck needs work

Perry Riley looked pretty good

The One Man Gang will do well.

Carter needs work. He gets caught looking inside and overpursues. He falls for misdirection. He may have a no trade clause but I wonder if he has a no cut clause.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 14, 2010 1:33 AM | Report abuse

Zeke, what do you think of the Shanaplan now?

Posted by: Curzon41

didn't see the game, listened to the first 20 minutes or so. I've always thought Shanahan was one of the best coaches in the biz. When Cindy was running the polls a few years back with the Cutler rumors, I was anti-Cutler, but pro-Shanahan.

Might have missed something, but it seemed like penalties helped us a lot in the first few series. Buffalo got a holding call that stopped their drive and made them settle for a FG. We wouldn't have gotten our 1st TD if not for a roughing call.

I'll never get too excited over a preseason win. But obviously, a lot of good things happened on the field tonight.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 14, 2010 2:38 AM | Report abuse

Onto my list, though I know some answers. Since i didn't see the game, if people could relate what they saw

Trent Williams run blocking?
Artis Hicks, is he up to the job?
Is DT11 'getting it'?
Is Cooley healthy?
Portis, did he have quickness in his cuts?
Torian, how'd he look?
Any of the RBs look good catching the ball?
Any of the FB or TEs look good in pass protection?

On defense, I figured this was a talent mismatch, but ...
How were the LBs when we didn't do anything fancy?
Does the secondary seem confused or do they have a clue?
What did the front 6 look like -- and do -- in nickel packages?

Anything good on special team returns?

From the radio, I got that DT11 had a mixed effort (dropped pass and fumble early on, noticed he caught a TD pass later)

They spoke highly of TW.

Cooley seemed healthy judging by results.

PR was shockingly better!!!

But most of the items I wondered about are still blanks ... Judging by the score, I'm guessing there is a lot more 'good news' answers to these questions.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 14, 2010 2:53 AM | Report abuse

zcezcest1 Here ya go.

Portis looked good. He hit the holes fast and ran w/o looking like he had no confidence in the line.

Trent Williams also looked good, but he's a rookie so my bar on that isn't high. The entire line kept Mcnabb off his back which is good and a MUST if the skins hope to compete. The line didn't look like the disaster I thought they might be and it made me breath a little easier. This group may be able to get it done.

No L.J. or Parker at rb so I'm curious as to what's goin on there.

My points of concern are the linebacking corp. They looked lost on the first drive and as good as London is he can't do it all. Wide receiver... not good. look for Cooley to have a career year & davis as well. The plus is Mcnabb is used to playin with garbage wideouts! We can only hope Kelly or Thomas steps up and helps this team.

However compared to the last few seasons I'd say this was a banner preseason performance.

The biggest plus is this team actually looked prepared and well coached and that has been something we haven't seen in some time. This was just a first step. The Skins got a long way to go yet, but I saw somethin I haven't seen for a while. POTENTIAL!

Posted by: skins91r | August 14, 2010 3:25 AM | Report abuse

Zeke, TW was a beast and will only get better. Was very solid in defending the blind side. Can't see why anyone would complain (brownwood26?) about not drafting Okung.

Recorded the game so will see how Hicks did when I re-watch the game.

DT11 spotty, but made a good play on his TD.

Cooley was, well, Cooley. Looked very good with no problems from his injury.

Portis will have a good year if he plays like he did today. Looked very good.

Torian could be a beast, both rushing and catching out of the backfield. Hopefully he stays healthy, which has been his issue.

Both Torian and K. Williams caught the ball well out of the backfield. Would be nice to see both these young guys make the team.

Young (FB?) looked very good. DMo was invisible, but overall the TE's were solid.

Defense to me seemed very vanilla, but liked what I saw of Riley. Bills O was over matched until the Skins scrubs (4th string) gave them a couple of TDs. Will get a better take after I re-watch the game but I would guess that most of the D will not be seen until the reg. season starts.

Banks may have locked up a spot after that PR for a TD. Austin looked good on KR.

Overall, very good showing by the Skins for the first preseason game. Looked very motivated and prepared. Big difference from the teams that Zorn fielded.

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 14, 2010 3:42 AM | Report abuse

I cannot believe so many of you "fans" are missing the whole point entirely...

"McNabb looked good?"

"Portis hit the holes fast?"

"Banks is fast?"

As if THOSE AREAS are what has been our problem the last 2+ years. Suddenly, Portis is fast. And, of course, McNabb is sooo much better than Campbell, which is why the passing game actually converted 3rd downs.

Right? I mean, that basically sums up the game, right? D Hall made a shoulder tackle, missed on another, got a pic because the Buffalo receiver didn't come back to the ball.. at all.

(Shaking my head in disbelief)

How'd the O Line look?

Time to throw. Holes to run in. ZERO jailbreaks. Z E - R O.

We had three on the first series last year on Monday Night against the Eagles.

I forgot... Campbell's fault. You will NOTE... Our team goes as our O Line goes. All teams do. That's why the Giants are good even though they have a tard at QB. McNabb is good, don't get me wrong, but he's got a good line (can't believe I'm saying that this early) in front of him.

Shanny aint going into the season with the "dirt bags." I like it. Run first, efficient. Kyle looks like a sharp MF. I mean, how about the playcalling? Even in preseason! Smoked Zorn on his best day.

We could be really good, fellas. O Line was nice. T Williams is a nasty mf. I see him getting some roughness penalties soon. He's outta shape, though. Best get used to moving.

And I gotta eat at least a FEW of my own words... Rex looked dam good. I was shocked. I mean, it's Rex, you know. He broke their hearts in Chicago. I don't trust him. But maybe, just maybe... he's a better QB after all the years.

Instant cred on McNabb looking for that flag, by the way. Campbell looks for it, ref walks away. That's what Soup commercials and Championship Games and Super Bowls do for you. Called Cred.

Team looked well-coached, pretty loose, and like they were having fun.

Torrain? Whatever. He's OK. Like a watered down Ladell Betts. Williams looked better.

I'll tell you who looks like they need to figure out WTF is going on, and that's Andre Carter. He got tricked, blocked, coaxed, and tossed inside on every other play. He better find out what outside contain is or he'll be containing the bench. I found his play the most worrying thing of the evening. He looked really bad. Really really bad. I feel bad for him already just thinking about when they review the film. MAN, he was awful.

Zorn. Puh-leeze.

Posted by: Thinker_ | August 14, 2010 4:03 AM | Report abuse

OH, yeah, and wtf is Beck doing here?

I mean, if they're gonna field a guy with Nothing, we shoulda kept Colt... I mean, at least a lot of people liked him.

I'd take Rex over Becks anyday. And I'm not the biggest Rex fan.

Beck looked like hammered shti.

Posted by: Thinker_ | August 14, 2010 4:06 AM | Report abuse

This defense situation has me worried.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 13, 2010 11:38 PM

Don't worry, be happy. Maybe miracle whip will help?

Posted by: stevek20147

Heheheh, thanks. There is always miracle whip but for some reason I prefer mayo.

All three of the buffalo rushers averaged ten yards a carry. Did anyone see why we got beat so bad?

I saw the game in crappy streaming video so it was hard to tell exactly what was happening, but it looked like the linebackers were getting beat outside of the OT's which yielded long runs. Later they ran up the middle when we began to over pursue to seal up the edge.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 14, 2010 4:16 AM | Report abuse

Beck looked like hammered shti.

Posted by: Thinker_

I'm not sure what you're thinking?

Beck just got his locker a week ago, so what did you expect?...he would come in with the scrubs and clean house? Beck's job for the last week has been to get coffee for Rex Grossman and participate in warm-ups, not to actually run the offense.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 14, 2010 4:47 AM | Report abuse

Please be the first Shanahan-Player feud to pass over. I'd hate to end up relying on former Brown first round draft picks.

Posted by: RedskinsXXVI | August 14, 2010 5:04 AM | Report abuse

Time to throw. Holes to run in. ZERO jailbreaks. Z E - R O.

Posted by: Thinker_ | August 14, 2010 4:03 AM

`

That's odd b/c three of our starting five yesterday were part of our horrific starting five from last season

Actually, we struggled to run the ball. Team rushing ypc for the game was a measly 3.4

20 sec mark. Rabach gets beat, McNabb can't step up, yet completes the pass

56 second mark. A jailbreak occurs, McNabb forced to throw off back foot, but completes the pass like *good* Qbs do.

^^^
Maybe a quick release and/or finding an open receiver has something to with that...

Thinker_ Do you ever back up your claims?

Posted by: Vicc | August 14, 2010 5:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Thinker_ | August 14, 2010 4:03 AM

`

Examples please?

How'd the Giants finish last year?

How'd the Panthers do with their stellar O-line? Or the Browns?

How did Ben Rothlisberger win a Superbowl with an O-line that let up the most sacks in the league?

How did the Saints win the Superbowl after their Pro-Bowl LT got injured for the year?

Why did the Cardinals go 6-10, 5-11, 5-11, and then Kurt Warner shows up and they produce back to back winning seasons?

How come Manning has been so successful despite no consistency on his O-line?

Why did the Titans suck with their stellar O-line--you know the one that produced a 2000yd back--and Kerry Collins at QB, then start winning once VY entered the game?

In 2008, why were the Cowboys 8-4 with Romo starting and 1-3 when Brad Johnson started with the same exact O-line?

How did the Packers make the playoffs last year when Rodgers had no time to throw the football?

(catching my breath)

I could go on and bust up your argument all day long. Yeah the Redskins won with a dominant O-line back in the day, but it's 2010 Thinker_ times are different--cell phones, HD TV, extenze pillz--How come Joe Gibbs is the ONLY coach to win a Superbowl with more than 1 QB? No other coach has done it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Superbowl Winning QBs the past 20 years:
The 90s
Joe Montana
Jeff Hostetler
Mark Rypien
Troy Aikman
Steve Young
Brett Farve
John Elway
All of these Qbs have made a Pro-Bowl and 4 of them are in the HOF and Brett Farve will be the 5th. So thats 5 out 7.

The 2000s
Kurt Warner
Trent Dilfer
Tom Brady
Brad Johnson
Ben Rothlisberger
Peyton Manning
Eli Manning
Drew Brees
All these QBs have made a Pro-Bowl. Dilfer and Johnson won't make the HOF, but Brady and P. Manning will. Kurt Warner might and for the others it is too early to tell.

But you're right Thinker_ there is no such thing as QB leadership, or accuracy, or reading defenses/blitz', or audibles, or quick releases, or footwork, or mechanics, or pumpfakes, or looking off defenders.

There is no such thing as a team succeeding with a below-average O-line or a team losing with an above-average O-line...*sigh* I'm thru

Posted by: Vicc | August 14, 2010 6:07 AM | Report abuse

Zce Zce,

Trent Williams was a mauler in the run game. He did look winded however, hands on hips after the first couple plays.

Artis Hicks nothing good or bad stood out

DT11 is on the bubble, but on his TD catch he caught both the corner and the safety on a vicious double-move.

Cooley looked like Cooley

I'm too biased when it comes to Portis, so you already know.

Torain will make the squad, no doubt.

Young had a few nice blocks and Sleepy Fred Davis caught a TD, other than that it was quiet on the FB and backup TE postions.

Run Defense might be a problem this year, however I expect Haynesworth to start and that should help b/c he looked good.

LBs were quiet, but Rookie Perry Riley has good positioning and I'm gonna bet he sticks.

Secondary looked good, mainly because the Buffalo QBs are garbage

Special Teams
Graham Gano gave us a couple touchbacks, but he didn't get the opportunity to attempt a fG.

We pinned a couple Punts inside the 20 including one inside the 5.

Banks returned a punt for a td and Austin looked rather ordinary on returns.

Posted by: Vicc | August 14, 2010 6:28 AM | Report abuse

Devin Thomas has got to be on the bubble. His TD was easy and looked like a case of blown coverage. He dropped one and fumbled the kick off return. Theismann (who was awful) criticized his route running. To his credit Thomas did make one decent catch over the middle. I thought he'd break out this year now I have my doubts. I noticed Roydell Williams making a nice move for a first down after a reception. The coaches will figure this position out...I'm not really worried about wide receiver.

Heyer didn't embarrass himself but was back on his heels in pass protection as always. Pizza man didn't play until the second half but had a nice block on the Keiland Williams TD run in the 4th quarter. I thought Edwin Williams had a good game as backup center.

Lot of Williamses on this team.

Neither first or second teams ran the ball especially well. It was so-so. I thought the Bills looked lost on defense. Apparently they've just switched to 3-4 as well. Next week should give a better indication of the strengths and weaknesses of this offense. I won't see the game you all will have to fill me in.

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 14, 2010 6:40 AM | Report abuse

Something I didn't know: ESPN isn't the most visited sports site -- it's Yahoo by a wide margin. They've got 39 million unique visitors, vs 29 mil for ESPN and 26 mil for Fox (MSN).

Of course, Yahoo is the Net's most visited site because of the e-mail, and they have an active Fantasy section, so that's where they get a lot of their traffic.

I still don't think of it as a sports news resource. Probably just me.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 14, 2010 7:25 AM | Report abuse

You ever notice how coaches won't comment much on a player's game performance until they get a chance to review the tape? That's because initial impressions aren't worth much.

Good thing to remember here tonight.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 14, 2010 7:28 AM | Report abuse

"-How come Joe Gibbs is the ONLY coach to win a Superbowl with more than 1 QB? No other coach has done it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" posted by Vicc"

Bill Parcells, NY Giants:
1986 Phil Simms
1990 Jeff Hostetler

Posted by: Samson151 | August 14, 2010 7:34 AM | Report abuse

Carter may have a no trade clause but I wonder if he has a no cut clause.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 14, 2010 1:33 AM

He would love to be cut. There are a lot of teams he could help and as a free agent he would get a big signing bonus. The no trade clause means only that we or his new team would have to pay him to waive the clause.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 14, 2010 7:49 AM | Report abuse

Fck you very much NFL network for switching the game you were showing. Imagine my dismay when I came home from the kids' play only to have the first half of New England-New Orleans on my DVR.

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 14, 2010 7:52 AM | Report abuse

I'll take my medicine on the Rex/Sage debate...no chance Sage Rosenfels would come in here and look as good as Rex did last night. McNabb looked good as our clear cut #1 QB and Rex (despite a couple head scratcher throws) is a more than capable backup. Looks like we're set at QB.

Huge performances from Ryan Torain and Brandon Banks as well. Torain looks every bit as good as some of us here expect him to be (and did so in the first half...not against the scrubs in the 2nd half) and may have a bigger role here than previously thought. And how great would it be if Banks became our Devin Hester-type return man while up the road on Fun Street his high school pal John Wall is helping turn the Wizards around? That's the stuff that dreams are made of.

Friends, it looks like we've finally got ourselves a REAL football team. Drink it in...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 14, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | August 14, 2010 7:25 AM

I'd never heard of them either until the started sponsoring "Zeke's Unique Perspective." Now, they're my go-to source for anything sport-related.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 14, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

I basically agree with most of the game summaries by Curzon, Vicc, Thinker and Pepper.

A few extra observations:

I'm concerned about AArmstrong's hands. He fumbled the ball at the goalline on his TD, then lost the handle when he went to spike the ball. Hope it was rookie excitement.

DT11 was way over-hyped on 1sy KO return, and fumbled it. Then he mishandled his first pass. But later on he showed good hands on several receptions.

BWade bobbled several receptions. Don't like his hands.

TW appears to have a nasty streak. On one pass play, he forced speed rusher 10 yds deep, then went back and pushed him even deeper.

Rinehart made a good block on NT, then pushed MLB into endzone on 2nd half TD.

AC did not look too good. But on one 20 yd gain, both he and LL rushed inside. To me, it looked like LL had contain, but I'm not sure about that.

RTorain and KWilliams looked decent. Either is a good replacement for MM, but not yet ready to start.

Sexy still scares me with some of his throws. If he was facing 1st team D, I think several might have been picked off.

DMac looked good, brings a level of leadership not seen this century.

PRiley has a lot of upside. Always around the ball.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 14, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

O_e, NFLN is running a replay of the entire game at 10am. You should be able to catch it then.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 14, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 14, 2010 8:16 AM

But will they switch to New England in the middle of the replay?

etrod, I can save you the time. 'Skins won 42-17. Greatest pre-season victory since Steve Spurrier took Osaka by storm. Happy days are here again. Now get out there and mow your lawn.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 14, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Loved seeing the touchbacks on kickoffs. Been a long time since we've seen that consistently.

Posted by: bostskin | August 14, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

John Keim from the Examiner:

1. Donovan McNabb might have been a little overanxious on the first series, but he more than settled down on the second. Not that he had to do anything dramatic, and the plays helped him – get the defense flowing one way and hit them back the other. A roughing the passer call helped, too. He threw a bullet to Chris Cooley for 19 yards to the 10. And the running game did its share, grinding out yards.

2. Albert Haynesworth will be a dangerous nose tackle, especially in passing situations. I like him better than Maake Kemoeatu on run downs, too, for that matter. Kemoeatu got shoved way back on a couple runs, more than five yards a couple times. Those came on double teams, but that’s the life of a nose guard and you can’t get drilled that far back. Haynesworth is so dangerous because teams must pay attention to him and then the Redskins can blitz behind him. That’s how Perry Riley got a sack.

3. Somehow, it’s not surprising that Brandon Banks returned a punt for a touchdown. He has that sort of speed. And watching him set up, he was anxious to get going. Yet he clearly stayed patient and didn’t give away which way he was going to run. What I like about him is that when he sniffs the corner, and knows he can get there, he kicks it into a higher gear. Very rare speed. Of course, he fumbled a punt earlier. When he’s deep, punters would be wise to not outkick their coverage as Buffalo did.

4. The second team offensive line was a major disappointment. Chad Rinehart consistently got knocked deep into the backfield. His man wouldn’t necessarily make the play, but he most definitely would alter it and cause a bad throw if nothing else. Will Robinson had issues with footwork. Have to watch the game again, but sometimes it seemed as if he crossed up his feet and got off-balance. Edwin Williams allowed pressure at guard, but I don’t think that’s the best spot for him. And RT Clint Oldenburg is just not very good. That won’t change.

5. The No. 1 defense was OK, but they weren’t exactly facing a great offense. I didn’t like some of the sloppy play; some bad tackling and bad angles. That could be a function of not tackling in training camp. I did like seeing Brian Orakpo and Andre Carter lining up on the same side before one snap. And Orakpo had one nice series, making one tackle in which he shed the blocker well. It took him a while to do that last year with any sort of consistency.

6. I like watching Josh Bidwell punt inside the 50; does the Australian Rules Football style and gets a lot of backspin on the ball. On the play in which Ramzee Robinson flipped the ball back to Anthony Armstrong to down the ball around the 2-yard line, the play was made because Bidwell stuck his punt inside the 5, but it did not take a big bounce toward the end zone. That allowed Robinson to get behind the ball and stop it

Posted by: beep-beep | August 14, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | August 14, 2010 8:07 AM

If he'd been playing behind the first team OL he might have had better throws. But maybe not.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 14, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

I wonder where we are now with respect to Brian Westbrook, or where he is with respect to us? We've already got a lot of talent at his position.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 14, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

It was fun to watch last night, but I'll say it again: I am a skeptic this year.

Donovan looked somewhat comfortable. After the first series, he definitely settled down; however, the second series would have ended without the roughing the passer penalty. I'm still eager to see more of the deep pass; DMac overthrew Galloway on one play. Rex is a solid backup. The system is second nature to him. As for John Beck: "It was my first day..."

Clinton looked pretty good. He only had six carries for 22, but I thought he was noticeably quicker and definitely trimmer. Torain and Williams made it hard for the coaches in determining cuts. They had good effort, speed, vision, and patience.

The O-line looked okay. They can make the zone blocking scheme work. I would have liked better output from CP, and we'll get a better look against a better opponent next week. Trent will be good.

Receivers also made the cuts difficult for the coaches. Eleven of them caught passes. CC47 looked like vintage CC47. D. Thomas was a mixed bag for me. Santana was quiet, but we'll see more. I loved Roydell Williams' reception. F. Davis is still good.

I'm not sold on defense. For a 3-4 scheme that's supposed to stop the run, the Bills got off some big rushes. A. Carter needs to learn containment. Fletch is a football bloodhound; when is he not in on a play? The CBs were quiet, with the exception of DHall's INT, but that means they did their job; however, I did see CRogers get beat, and it would have been a definite TD had the QB not overthrown. Big Al needs to move up the depth chart. I want to see how the first team's play is affected by his presence; it was certainly evident with the second team.

As for spec. teams: no "Two-Step" Randel-El means one PR TD for Brandon Banks. I guess Danny Smith was right in throwing Two-Step under the bus. Can't assess Gano yet, but I hope he becomes a Jason Elam.

This was definitely a good start, but I believe there is still a lot of work to do. The Ravens will be the perfect yardstick to measure our progress.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | August 14, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

My thoughts: O line looked good, McNabb was a definate upgrade, nice to see the ball come out on time, Rex was much better than I expected, not so worried anymore, D will get better as the players learn their assignments and react without so much thinking. Not getting over excited. Can't wait to see them play a pro team with a real coach next week. Glad I'm not a Buffalo fan. I'll bet Dockery is happy to be back home. Coaching staff seems to have the team headed in the right direction to be successful. KS did a great job.

Posted by: wireman65 | August 14, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

What worries me is that Haynesworth didn't seem to mention winning, or what's good for the team. Everything was about how the defense was a good fit for him, or how he would do well. That's troubling.

Posted by: Salinas1 | August 14, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Here's my assessment...
The Bills REALLY suck!! really suck.

They just made the skins offense look phenomenal. It was very refreshing to see someone worse than us though.

The defense looks pretty bad so far to me as others have said. And special teams blew early on. Got better though.

Posted by: jspin77 | August 14, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

I'll take 6 touchdowns in preseason anyday over 6 field goals...

Posted by: rickyroge | August 14, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Bill Parcells, NY Giants:
1986 Phil Simms
1990 Jeff Hostetler

Posted by: Samson151 | August 14, 2010 7:34 AM | Report abuse

thinks he meant to say Gibbs is the only coach to win with 3 different Qbs

Posted by: leevi98 | August 14, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Salinas1 | August 14, 2010 8:44 AM

First off, you're wrong. Go back and read it again. He says stuff like "This is going to be a great defense..."

Second, these are the questions he was asked.

Third, this is how Jason Reid reports this stuff.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 14, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Spurrier opened up his playbook to get 35. Yesterday was more about simple, consistent execution to get 42. Like the zone run blocking scheme; Lots of holes. Good call vicc. Nice to see better QB play. By the way, Soup went 3 & out twice in a row to start the game and was 1-6 at one point vs. Dal. Also saw the 'ol throw the deep ball leading the WR out of bounds down the right sideline as well as a deep ball down the left sideline that was a 50/50 ball. And the 5 yd pass on 3rd down when the team needs 7. And the middle blitz w/ sack instead of throwing quickly to check off right in front of him, 5 yards past the line of scrimmage. Soups's QB rating was 62.7. McNabb: 124, Rex: 122.5. Good start boys, keep improving! HTTR!

Posted by: Realness1 | August 14, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Andre Carter is going to be problematic at linebacker but we knew that going in - the Skins o-line looked pretty good as a unit. How is Jamal Brown's hip? Be nice to see him in action against the Ravens 1st string defense.

Posted by: coparker5 | August 14, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Let's go up I-95 to see "Ray Ray"...

Posted by: rickyroge | August 14, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Let's go up I-95 to see "Ray Ray"...

Posted by: rickyroge | August 14, 2010 9:43 AM

Do you think Jim Zorn would like a win, or is he saying "Ah, it's only pre-season." And if they win, will Ray Ray lead them in a big hip-hip-hooray?

Posted by: beep-beep | August 14, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Beep

Posted by: wireman65 | August 14, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

No mention last night or even today regarding LJ and Porter. Anyone know their status? Based on the strong running of both Torrain and K. Williams, I'd think LJ & WP are busy typing up new resumes right now.

Gonna be a tough decision picking the final WR's. All looked good last night. Armstrong, Wade and R. Williams played like keepers, as did D Thomas.

Hope there's room for both Banks and Austin on the final roster.

If anyone ever doubted the value of good coaching and a strong QB, last nights performance proves otherwise.

And, finally, a kicker with enough leg to put it in the end zone.

Posted by: bones21 | August 14, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

He is on meds.

Posted by: dmlopez1 | August 14, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I had to watch the game on ABC out of Richmond since NFL Network blocked the broadcast. I have a Vizio 1080p set and the game did not appear to be in HD. A troubling result was the new video boards were a horrible distraction with the grass appearing to be a gold yellow eyesore. Anyone else have that trouble? I'm not sure yet wether to blame the broadcast, my set or just expect it to be the norm. If it's my set I'm off to the store this afternoon.

I was thrilled to finally see some points and with a lot of what I saw when the camera angles were decent and the video boards weren't distracting. I'm a little concerned though that Albert's going to end up being a problem. Great play, great play, great play, then break to the left inside to go after the qb leaving a huge hole to the right for the running back to get a huge gain. Can he be coached out of that to stay home and keep the holes filled?

Posted by: williambyrlpricejr | August 14, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 14, 2010 8:04 AM |

It's the BILLS! Let's not start sucking each others D##K's just yet gentlemen (and Ladies)(pulp fiction)
Best look: AH coming in with the 2nd team AND THE 2ND TEAMERS GETTING SO MUCH PRESSURE ON THE qb. want to see him with the 1st team.

Posted by: boysheadcoach | August 14, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Just a thought: I'm not impressed with John Keim of the Examiner. I know he's covered the Skins for the Examiner for several seasons, but he's one of those 'journalists' who thinks and talks in sound bites. Probably be good on Twitter.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 14, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

did not see the pre-season game but it was a big win after going 4-12 in the regular season washington needs to win every game possible. the ravens will be a big test for them they have a top o-line and strong 3-4 defense even if they lose the game let's see how the starters on both side of the ball hold up.

Posted by: wathu19 | August 14, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth speaks, likes new defense

By Rick Maese | August 13, 2010
-------------------------------------
Where is JReid?....We've heard all offseason da Mayor of the Haney Haters speculate and instigate the bullsh!t. And now when the man actually speaks for himself he's not there. Well I guess he must still be talking to "people close to the situation"...or he must be consulting with "Harvey"

Posted by: jcnjcnj | August 14, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Thinker_ Do you ever back up your claims?

Posted by: Vicc | August 14, 2010 5:58 AM

Back up claims? I'm not making claims. I'm relating my observations.

When you refer to a quick release, surely you must be referring to *good* QBs... Like Mark Rypien. Or Tom Brady.

Quick release does not win Super Bowls.

I don't know what the F you were watching, but I thought we ran the ball pretty well. I thought the time to throw was adequate.

Let me set you straight on something...

Just because we didn't go for 12 yds a pop on each run in the opening drive, that is to be expected. Only scrub teams give up huge runs consistently from the start. The run was effective enough that LBs had to look inside. The play fake worked like a charm on the camera man. Would there be a reason for that? Could it be he was expecting a run? Why would that be?

I've seen enough football to have confidence in my observations. I've seen Bum QBs win Super Bowls. I've seen great ones never get there. You seem like a fantasy guy. I never touched the stuff. It's bogus and has NOTHING to do with football. You can think all you want about "quick releases" and "open receivers," but, I'm telling you, you are wrong.

Open receivers have more to do with the receiver, the scheme, the play-calling, and the down-distance situation than the QB.

Quick Release is way overrated. The difference between a quick release and a slow release is less than .25 seconds. The difference between a decent pocket and a jailbreak is 3-5 seconds, depending upon the play being called.

Go suck a Vicc.

Posted by: Thinker_ | August 14, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

And ANOTHER thing...

Just because 3 out of 5 were on the line last year means an improvement along 40% of the line.

In addition, the play-calling and blocking scheme seemed to be an instant upgrade.

It's NOT all about the player, Vicc.

That's why coaches make a lot of money, too. They're not there just to fire when your players stink. They actually have jobs to do that directly affect the play on the field.

Zorn was an idiot. I've seen enough to recognize that Kyle Shanahan is not. How do you think we would have fared with 2 runs, wide left, back to back at the goal line instead of play action pass? Zorn never called a game that well in 2 years. And it's only preseason. That's just sad. Zorn has a feeble mind.

So, yeah, even the same players can look better when they are coached into an intelligent scheme. Live and learn, Viccy. Don't fight the truth. Observe it.

Posted by: Thinker_ | August 14, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse