Jeremy Jarmon adjusting to new assignment

A season ago, Jeremy Jarmon was inserted into games at all four positions on the line: both tackle spots and both end positions. He's already been shuffled around a bit this year. Projected as a linebacker through much of the offseason, Jarmon has been piling on pounds and will be expected to compete as both a defensive end and a three-technique tackle.

"Those are areas that I'm not accustomed to playing, so I'm playing some catch-up," he said. "Honestly, I'm out there trying to get better every day. I think I can make an argument that I am."

Jarmon, who's about 20 pounds heavier than he was coming out of college last spring, is participating fully in practices after missing much of the offseason as his torn ACL continued to heal. Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan has liked Jarmon's progress thus far.

"He's been playing well, especially now playing that position for a little bit," Shanahan said. "It's part of the evaluation process. It's nice to get him back. He's healthy. I think it's always different when you've been out for a while to put pads on and actually get started. But it's been very positive and I think it'll just keep on getting better."

Though his knee was still recovering, Jarmon was a constant presence around Redskins Park and spent most of the offseason preparing to play linebacker. But coaches ultimately decided they could use more depth on the line and liked Jarmon's versatility. Still, Jarmon enjoyed his brief time at the linebacker position.

"When I was in there in the linebacker meeting rooms, I saw football. Like I saw receivers out there and backs. I saw a part of the game that I have never seen before, so my football IQ increased," he said. "Instead of being in the trenches where I see a receiver every now and then.

Now back in the trenches, Jarmon has had some help as he's tried to learn the new positions. On the practice field, Albert Haynesworth could be seen chatting with Jarmon, discussing techniques and assignments.

"Albert's always been able to help me out. Sometimes when coach is occupied and doing things, he's able to kind of just keep some of those ideas fresh in my head that coach was going over in meetings and stuff," said Jarmon, who is entering his second season. "He just talks to me about hand placement and stance and things like that."

By Rick Maese  |  August 3, 2010; 4:30 PM ET
Categories:  3-4 defense
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lineup shuffle doesn't mean depth chart changes
Next: The Wright man for the job of helping Kemo

Comments

.............

Posted by: 6-2StackMonster | August 3, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Figgity figgity figgity first.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 3, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Holy Snikes!!!!! Albert is helping somebody out.... Did he ask for Money!

Posted by: evaninpa | August 3, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Albert who?

Posted by: NFeKPo | August 3, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

"Jarmon, who's about 20 pounds heavier than he was..."

Yup, Big Al has obviously been helping the young man out!

Posted by: Alan4 | August 3, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

AH is tutoring JJ on hand placment technique? Like "okay now you hold this double cheeseburger like this" ....

Posted by: proffy | August 3, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Jarmon should call Colt Brennan. Tell him to hold a seat for him on the bus out of town.

Posted by: dragon2eden | August 3, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Can we get an update on our Wideouts??? That is my number one concern this year. I hope DT can step up cause MK is a gonner. What is the word on T. Austin, i though he was a lock for KR and WR?

Posted by: evaninpa | August 3, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Uh-oh...Jarmon said something positive about AH. If he were a poster, he'd be getting pummeled right now.

Posted by: p1funk | August 3, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Just a thought but I wonder if the Broncos would trade Eddie Royal. His production dropped way off last year from his rookie year. Maybe he doesn't fit McDaniel's style offense. Or maybe McDaniel's an idiot. He's a Shanahan pick also.

Posted by: skinswest | August 3, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: evaninpa | August 3, 2010 4:54 PM

39 year old Joey Galloway is our #2 receiver right now. And he was never all that.

If that update doesn't scare the hell out of us, we're just up to our eyeballs in Kool Aid.

Posted by: Alan4 | August 3, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinswest | August 3, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Funny you should mention eddie royal. i saw him and his brother at the centreville life time fitness. Played a pick up basketball game. He said he was "not pleased" about their coach always trading their best players. wouldn't say much else

Posted by: nfcBEaST | August 3, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Um, isnt this same post from a few days ago......more copy n paste from the new and devalued WAPO team.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 3, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinswest | August 3, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nfcBEaST | August 3, 2010 5:06 PM

As good as he was as a rookie they seemed to ignore him last year. I did hear that he was going to play more of the slot receiver role this year so maybe they'll hold onto him and he'll bounce back.

Posted by: skinswest | August 3, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dragon2eden | August 3, 2010 4:49 PM

And what exactly are you basing this on?

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 3, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

been holding off on this... but now seems like the time.

my prediction for the season is 8-8.

coaching: considerably improved.

offense: upgrade at QB but possibly on downside of his career, zero depth. WR looks weak at best. TE solid, RB serviceable. OL rebuilding but improved.

defense: CB serviceable. switch to 3-4 hybrid means LB and S in flux, much depends on game planning. likewise DL and of course... well I won't mention that here.

special teams: P/K serviceable but expendable. P/K return still lacking. downfield blocking has been terrible for years, maybe we can coach 'em up.

NFC East is in flux, and we're the team with the most to prove.

from my perspective, doubling our wins seems both reasonable and optimistic.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | August 3, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

8-8 is optimistic but achievable; I think as season wears on Shanny will regret dealing away some of those draft picks and he might try to pick up a few as he settles in for the long haul.

For 2011 we'll see fresh faces on the interior of the line, at RB and WR. It's possible, not likely, but possible McNabb will be gone. On D, they'll have to go get linebackers if they're serious about the 3-4. Carlos gone, Carter gone, Fletcher quits, Rocky gone...

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 3, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 3, 2010 5:57 PM |

I highly doubt that all those guys will be gone. Rarely do you have that high a turmover. Especially with the coach we now have.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 3, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm just fine waiting until end of preseason before making predictions. There's still some significant twisting and turning to go.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 3, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 3, 2010 5:57 PM

think (?) we're thinking the same way...

"win now" talk is par for coach speak, and dealing away draft picks (McNabb)is acceptable if it helps to create the right locker room culture.

my guess is that the long-term commitment is real and some of the changes you suggest will happen, eventually.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | August 3, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 3, 2010 6:04 PM

wimp.

predictions are more fun when you have limited information...

they're even more fun if other people make them and justify.

that way everyone can compare notes when all is said and done, sort of like betting or futures markets...

anyone can predict the outcome with less than one second to go, but the rewards are greater if you nail it months in advance.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | August 3, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

hey, where did everybody go?

right... new thread.

thanks for the heads up.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | August 3, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 3, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

As far as receivers go we are screwed!! When a 38yr old washed up bum is your #2 guy it IS time to panic as ALAN4 kindly pointed out, but worse is the fact this is gonna put even more pressure on a patchwork line with a startin LT that's as green as you can get. Shanny better get real creative with our 2 TE's because they are the only 2 real pass catchers we have, & no I haven't forgotten about Moss it's just I haven't seen him get open in like 2 years.

Posted by: skins91r | August 3, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Wonderful. Now Fat Albert is advising our young guys? Great, just great.

Posted by: kone | August 4, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse