Jeremy Jarmon facing logjam at defensive end

Defensive end Jeremy Jarmon is among the players who may be on shaky footing when it comes to making the opening 53-man roster.

Coaches initially asked the second-year player to lose weight and move to outside linebacker in the team's new 3-4 scheme. But Jarmon did not immediately fare well in the new assignment, so he was moved back to end and instructed to add more weight.

It would appear Jarmon is facing a roster crunch at end, playing behind veterans Vonnie Holliday and Phillip Daniels. But Jarmon is optimistic about his situation as final cuts loom Saturday.

"The scheme, and the things that we're doing, will make me a more well-rounded football player," Jarmon said recently. "I've played 4-3, now I'm playing 3-4. I think I've been playing it now for a month and a day. I'm just getting used to it."

Jarmon was unable to participate in organized team activities while rehabbing from surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament. The knee injury occurred in Week 12 of the 2009 season and cut short Jarmon's rookie year.

"When we were going through the OTAs, all my reps had to be mental reps," Jarmon said. "But mental reps can only take you so far. It's not the same thing. But now, I'm getting better."

Vinny Cerrato, then Washington's executive vice president of football operations, selected Jarmon in the third round of the supplemental draft. Last season, Jarmon was credited with eight tackles, including six unassisted, and showed promise as a 4-3 end.

Then came the regime change, however, and Jarmon had to adjust. Jarmon was a 4-3 end while at the University of Kentucky, but defensive ends in 3-4 schemes are basically 4-3 three-technique tackles.

"If you ask the coaching staff, if you ask the guys around here, they'll tell you I'm getting better," Jarmon said. "I've done the things that they've asked. I'm up to 295 after playing at 275 last year. So from a weight standpoint, there's some ways I'm going to be able to help them. Obviously, I'm not going to be able to line up at nose guard and buckle down for the run.

"But I think I can help this team in pass-rushing situations. That's what they want to see out of me. They want to see me hustle and make some plays on some screens. I've never played at this weight, and I've also never lined up and played three-tech consistently, so all of that took some getting used to. But it's getting there."

By Jason Reid  |  September 2, 2010; 9:24 PM ET
Categories:  3-4 defense
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Agent: No change in Donovan McNabb extension talks
Next: All 22 starters sitting Thursday night

Comments

For the true football nutz among us, an interesting take on the new UFL...

Posted by: Samson151 | September 2, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Same old Redskins: mortgage the future. They ditch promising young talent (Jarmon) for ancient retreads (Daniels and Holliday). This whole 'win now' thing is a joke. They aren't going to be any good this year. They should be building for the future. Daniels and Holliday aren't the future.

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | September 2, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Don't slit your wrists until all is said and done.

And if you do, use a bucket. Your heirs can get tickets.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 2, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

diesel_skins_ I been hearing and reading that Jarmon still runs with a limp in his stride. I don't think he's all the way back, and I don't think the staff did him any favors by switching back and forth on his position. He's in a tough spot with the team wanting to carry six WR and perhaps carrying an extra safety because of Moore's injury.

Posted by: TWISI | September 2, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

If Jarmon doesn't make the team, I bet they will IR him for the season.

Posted by: ccwbambam | September 2, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Beeps

Posted by: edvar | September 2, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

If Shanahan wants to cut him, it's his team to build and thats the way it should be. It will be another high draft pick from Cerrato that was another huge mistake.

Posted by: sruppert | September 3, 2010 7:31 AM | Report abuse

Jarmon clearly has potential. They need to figure out how to keep him around. It makes no sense to keep two aging back-up DEs and let a young one with potential get away.

Posted by: hapster | September 3, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

I think this guy will be very good someday, unfortunately the larger the plyer, the longer ACL injuries take to recover. I'm amazed he was able to particpate in camp.

Posted by: Redskinrex | September 3, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

It will be another high draft pick from Cerrato that was another huge mistake.

Posted by: sruppert | September 3, 2010 7:31 AM

I don't normally like to resort to insults, but that is just a dumb comment. There are plenty of things that fall under the category of a huge Vinny mistake, but Jarmon is talented. Even if he is cut, it does not mean that he was a bad pick. You draft players based on skill level.

Personally, I hope that they find a way to keep him because he is a young talented kid who does whatever is asked of him and I think he will perform once his knee improves.

Posted by: SportzWiz | September 4, 2010 12:22 AM | Report abuse