Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 11/19/2010

Jim Haslett says Redskins' last-ranked defense faces "learning curve"

By Jason Reid

After giving up a staggering 592 yards - the most in Philadelphia Eagles franchise history - during the 59-28 Monday night debacle, the Redskins again rank last in the NFL in total defense.

Washington continues to experience growing pains nine games into the transition from a 4-3 base alignment to a 3-4 scheme, which is not surprising to defensive coordinator Jim Haslett. Although Washington has done some things well on defense, it will take time for Haslett to provide Coach Mike Shanahan with the championship-caliber defense he wants.

"No, this is not what I would have expected," Haslett said Thursday after practice at Redskins Park. "But there is a learning curve. It takes some time to learn things. And we're playing ... [Eagles quarterback] Michael [Vick] was on fire the other day. It was a good offense.

"They caught us off guard and things started snowballing. There is a learning curve. It changes every week. It's something you've got to go through. When you do make a switch from one to another, without really adding a lot of pieces, it's gonna take a little bit of time. But we're not happy with where we're at right now."

Opponents are averaging 415.3 yards per game against Washington. In addition to having the 32nd overall defense in the 32-team league, the Redskins are 31st in pass defense, giving up an average of 286.6 yards.

Washington is among the league leaders with 19 takeaways, and producing turnovers at a high rate is a point of emphasis for Haslett's staff. But it has been clear since the offseason that the Redskins currently do not have the personnel to operate effectively in their base 3-4, or "Okie," for an entire game.

Haslett has acknowledged that the Redskins have worked more in nickel and other packages than the base 3-4 during games, though not because of personnel concerns, he said. That's just the way the game plans have evolved in trying to counteract opponents' strengths.

Still, the fact remains that the Redskins probably need at least two draft and free agent cycles to acquire the type of players needed to work smoothly in the 3-4.

"It's really all based off what teams do to you," Haslett said. "I think we'll play some teams over the next couple weeks that'll have more 3-4 looks."

Before the Redskins' Week 5 victory against the Green Bay Packers, Haslett spoke at length with Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers, who led that team's successful transition from a 4-3 to a 3-4.

The Packers "played really well" in their first year of the switch, Haslett said, "but they had two first-round picks, a third-round pick, a fifth, a couple of other things.

"And he [Capers] told me, 'We're still not where we want to be with it. We're still another year away from getting all the pieces.' So it does take some time."

Haslett, however, stressed he was not making excuses, and he applauded the effort of players during the difficult process.

"Our guys are actually doing a good job," he said. "They fight through. We worked hard today at it. But it does take some time, because it's not just one little piece. It's not just the 3-4. Then you got nickel, then you got 'fast nickel,' then you got another personnel grouping.

"Then you got goal line, short-yardage, everything's different. It's not just the 3-4. You've got six or seven personnel groupings you're trying to learn in a three- or four-month span. ... Our guys understand. It's gonna be a transition."

Do you think Haslett can still be a good defensive coordinator in Washington?
Join the discussion now in the Tailgate Zone.

By Jason Reid  | November 19, 2010; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  3-4 defense, Jim Haslett
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins say Randy Moss could be a factor
Next: Titans Coach Jeff Fisher calls Albert Hanyesworth 'very talented and explosive'

Comments

Both have been replaced by Big Name "winners". We were supposed to be contenders.

Posted by: Alan4 | November 19, 2010 10:55 AM |

You're on crack. New everything and we're supposed to be contenders? Who told told you that? Not a very smart statement.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 19, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Conventional wisdom laid 90% of the blame for that 4-12 season at the feet of an inexperienced coach and a mediocre QB.

Posted by: Alan4 | November 19, 2010 10:55 AM |

In your fantasy world maybe, but most of us knew that with the terrible talent collected and wasted here for the last 10 years this was atleast a 3-4 year process.

They will get better every year but if you thought playoffs this year then you were way off base.

Most of us predicted between 7-9 to 9-7 and we are on track for that.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 19, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I don't know why alot of y'all are claiming DT11 wasn't worthy of a roster spot.

Y'all are killing me with the logic.......

The only reason he got cut was he was too cocky and not a practice player, which you have to be good at to get on the field.....

I would have been ok with not getting on the field as some type of lesson learned for 2010 and then DT11 could have responded by doing all the neccesary things in the offseason to prove to the coaches he belonged.....

...Then we could have been straight in the WR group in 2011...DT11...MK12...Sleepy....maybe resign Moss...Armstrong.....And all the Redskins would need to draft are Lineman....

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 19, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Re: Haynesworth on the ground

I don't mind if the big fella lays out a play or 2 here/there. AH was getting up the middle and flushing Vick out of the pocket several times during the game. Only problem is that we couldn't do anything once he was out of the pocket.

Posted by: p1funk | November 19, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

stock down p1funk

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 19, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I think I've been named the winner anyway!!!

Posted by: monk811 | November 19, 2010 11:08 AM

Monk...please don't tell me you signed on with another handle just to declare yourself the winner...and get the bonus points!

If nothing else Keiland def has a nose for end zone...I like it!

Posted by: PlayAction | November 19, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

4th,

DT11 is a dead issue if he had any skill or heart he would be playing for the pathetic Panthers, but he hasn't even been active for 1 game.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 19, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 19, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Read this again, and I defy you to do it with a straight face. You propose going in to 2011 "straight" at WR with the "Cerrato Solution".

Come on man!

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | November 19, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Re: Haynesworth on the ground

Posted by: p1funk | November 19, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

stock down p1funk

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 19, 2010 11:26 AM |

Good call Dies. p1 seems to think it's alright to be a quitter. I don't care what you do in the game if you lay down on your teamates you're a worthless POS.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 19, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I think Haslett knows defense and execution. I am pretty sure he is not an innovator. I haven't seen any truly creative changes on defense. For instance, Haslett knew when Moore went down that he was going to suffer in coverage. They turned to Doughty, whom everyone knew was not so great in coverage. Instead, why not go to something that is more like three corners and one safety, using Barnes as a hybrid free safety/corner.

Haslett doesn't make adjustments very well. It took him a while to realize Fletcher and McIntosh weren't the kind of inside linebackers that were going to blitz up the middle and shed blockers. Those guys are better in space. Haslett occasionally has memory lapses where he tries to blitz those guys and they get swallowed up. Between the two they only have 3.5 sacks. It took him awhile to figure out Alexander was a better outside linebacker than Carter, although it was really obvious in the preseason that this was the case.

Like I said yesterday, I would like to see the team go after a young up and comer that might be a little more creative with how the players are used. I mentioned Kevin Greene as my choice to replace Haslett. Haslett could stick around and the defense will get better. The guy knows defenses. I just don't think he's the kind of innovator that will get the defense to the next level.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 19, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 19, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

So you're saying he would have lined up as a receiver and ran perfect routes and surprised people with his athleticism and awesome play??? Come on, the dude couldn't even keep his kick returning job cause he ran like a crackhead and couldn't wait for blocks to develop, you really think he's gonna ball out as a receiver? He got cut for a reason, it's the same reason he hasn't been active in a Panther game yet, and the reason is he sucks!

Posted by: monk811 | November 19, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Wow p1funk and 4th..

p1funk thinks it's ok for 92 to quit.

4th wants to give DT another redshirt year. Kid has been released from his scholarship. The reason MK is here is because it doesn't cost a roster spot to see if he can play. They've seen enough of DT to know that he can't.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 19, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Whether DT was "professional" this year or not according to Shanny, he is still better than Galloway. That is the only issue here. DT has the ability to improve because he is young and not at the top of his game right now, whereas Galloway should be getting AARP, and is therefore not getting any better. That is the issue right here. Armstrong is better than DT, but that's not the issue. The issue is whether he is better than Galloway, and he is.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | November 19, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

4th,

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 19, 2010 11:27 AM

If I was a Panther's fan, I wouldn't have expected anything out of him this year either. They have QB/RB problems over there. The HC is about to go. He's a lame duck.

The GM there picked him up for the future, not for today......He is doing future planing....STAMPED....just like Shanny planned for the future by sending MK12 to IR....

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 19, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

p1funk thinks it's ok for 92 to quit.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 19, 2010 11:33 AM

Thought he heard a whistle...and had a charlie horse...and thought Vick was tackled...and...

Posted by: PlayAction | November 19, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I think I've been named the winner anyway!!!

Posted by: monk811 | November 19, 2010 11:08 AM

If nothing else Keiland def has a nose for end zone...I like it!

Posted by: PlayAction | November 19, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, I'm not a LOSER like the Poopy's and NPI/Fowl_Body_Odor's of the RI Nation, this is my ONLY User ID!

Is Landry playing on Sunday??? It would be nice to get an update from SOMEONE here, are they on a permanent lunch hour???

Posted by: monk811 | November 19, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 19, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | November 19, 2010 11:32 AM

I am saying, if you didn't like his practice techiniques, you just don't cut him outright. MAke him inactive all year. Tell him why he was inactive. And see if the offseason changes him. If not, then you cut him.

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 19, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 19, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Bingo.

The thing about fans that think this way, and by extension the "Pabrians" of the world, is that they have no concept of NFL football. You can't walk into an organization that has literally and figuratively been gutted of any semblance of direction for almost 10 years and just add water (Or Shanahan) and expect a contending team.

When people look around and want to criticize what has been done this year, I wonder sometimes if they would have preferred that we just forfeited our season. Just not fielded a team. I mean...OH MY GOD....we have Galloway on the roster...And Rabach sucks....and we have no depth at OL or WR and we don't have the personnel to play the 3-4, and we should never have switched from the 4-3.

Again, all of the above statements could hold water if you are just trying to be a perennial 7 win team. Fine- if that's what you want, keep complaining.

Or, you could realize that we are in the middle of a complete overhaul and accept that we are only going to win with better effort, coaching and luck. Which is the only reason we have 4 wins this year btw.

I'd say right now we have less talent across the board than 80% of the league. There is no magic bullet to replace the Galloways and Rabachs this year, so we roll with what we have.

I see what we are trying to do, and I believe Shanahan and Allen are looking to build a Pittsburgh type Defense by 2012 and a 2008 Denver/ 2009 Houston Offense in the same time frame.

I'm in, and really what other choice do I have?

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | November 19, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

F Wilbon! Good riddance!!!!! I can finally click on a link without the fear that dumb, racist, bigot wrote it!

Posted by: dealer1 | November 19, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 19, 2010 11:33 AM

Shanny knows MK12 can play. We heard it all offseason. I know the term is over used up here, but I mean it the most like I ever have:

MK12 will prove all these posters wrong next year and will be a beast for McNabb as a target.....STAMPED...

Book it!

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 19, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

waitingguilty,

Well said my friend well said.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 19, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I've probably defended/championed Haynesworth up here more than anyone and even I can't countenance him lying on the ground like he had been sniped. That was some weak ish.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | November 19, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Alan, if you thought the Skins were gonna contend for anything other than an 8-8 record then you set yourself up for disappointment...worst-to-first stories are the exception, not the rule.

Can't believe some are still bemoaning DT's release up here. Dude was less productive than Michael Westbrook and only a half step more productive than Taylor Jacobs and some up here act like we cut Art f-ing Monk in his prime. Get a grip...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 19, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

It's about time we heard from Haslett. He's been curiously silent since his D took a ridiculous thrashing.

A few observations during this painful week as a Skins fan:

1. Why are NFL coaches so resistant to try new things?

2. Run some reverses or bubble screens with Banks. Or put him in the Wildcat. Do something, anything, just get him in space.

3. Doesn't the team have anything new in the pipeline offensively? We've now seen that tired bootleg to Fred Davis in nearly every game. Granted, we should keep running it if teams aren't stopping it, but where is the creative and innovative Shanahan system?

4. I wonder if there is any consideration being given to elevating Austin from the PS and demoting Galloway or Williams? We need a spark.

5. Despite all this, I have a good feeling about Sunday vs. Tennessee.

Skins win 28-17.
Hail.

Posted by: quinn3 | November 19, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Hayesworth says Haslett isn't the only coach who coached poorly

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 19, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

cut haslett!!!

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | November 19, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

deal, cosign...hate, hate, hate Wilbon...pos....

how you been? You must be happy with NSuh?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 19, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 19, 2010 11:13 AM

I said that was conventional wisdom. I never bought into it, and I never thought replacing the coach and QB would make much difference without improved O-line play.

I said that ad nauseum.

Posted by: Alan4 | November 19, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

i'd say given our RECORD-SETTINGLY inept offense AND defense, it's absolutely remarkable we have 4 wins. i mean we are making the most out of what little we've got.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | November 19, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 19, 2010 11:49 AM

Wake up Mutley. You're dreaming again.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | November 19, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Book it!

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 19, 2010 11:49 AM

I should have said, "healthy enough to play".

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 19, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 19, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I'll admit, the dude did show flashes, but they were few and far between. I'm not surprised he got cut but maybe he should have been thrown out there to the wolves and put on an island against a good corner, see what he can do. I just can't get past the fact that Shanny is a professional and knows what he's doing, so he HAD to have been f*ckin up bad in practice.

Posted by: monk811 | November 19, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

brown,
If cutting DT was the only questionable thing it would be acceptable, I guess. But, there are so many questionable things. I'll spare you the review of those things.
DT is big, strong, young, and talented, he averaged 28 yards per on KRs (BB's at 27), he was a good gunner, he wasn't complaining, he was willing to work his way back onto offense. Our WRs, as a group, are weak, old, and small.
Noone ever compared him to Monk.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 19, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm in, and really what other choice do I have?

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | November 19, 2010 11:46 AM

The only problem I have with that is that we have guys like Austin, Capers and Cooke on the practice squad who may just be the spark we need.

If we are not seriously in contention for the playoffs and 7-9 is our destiny, then why our we wasting playing time on Rabach and Galloway instead of investing it in some of the young talent that is bigger and faster and only lacks - experience?

What is the upside for next year in playing Rabach and Galloway? ZERO.

Sure let's roll with what we have. We have Austin, Capers and Cooke. Can't we at least TRY them?

Posted by: edvar | November 19, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I said that ad nauseum.

Posted by: Alan4 | November 19, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

That reasoning sounds more like a pipe dream that most of us fall into every August. Conventional wisdom in this league has always said you win from the inside out, ie dominant line play, build through the draft etc.

And don't you mean ad mausoleum? ;)

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | November 19, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Apparently someone took Haslett a little too literally last week, especially when the coach suggested that no one should tell AH92 that he might be playing a few series at nose tackle.

Seems no one did -- and the results speak for themselves.

And as for the "learning curve" metaphor, you can only blame the players so long for failing to grasp the finer points of this scheme.

Am thinking if anyone should be wearing a dunce cap... it might just be the coaching staff for failing to develop and teach it as well as they should.

Posted by: Vic1 | November 19, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

There is a learning curve for the players, but I'm coaching it perfectly ~ haslett

haslett has let other teams destroy us

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 19, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | November 19, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

....had sweat in his eyes......and a stripper in the stands caught his eye....and he was thinking about his brother....and......

Posted by: monk811 | November 19, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Skins 24
Titans 17

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 19, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Noone ever compared him to Monk.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 19, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

You can't, I'm a BEAST on the field!

Posted by: monk811 | November 19, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | November 19, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

....was looking forward to coming home to Tennessee... and thinking how he might need to get a few more tickets... and wondering where he left the phone number for that funny little honey from Nashville.... and thinking he probably should get some viagara, anti-biotics and Hai Karate...

Posted by: Vic1 | November 19, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: edvar | November 19, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

IMO, the coaches believe that those players are not ready to protect our QB and/or the season is not over. Even in light of a total rebuild, if we get very lucky, we sniff 9-7 and a wild card.

Stranger things have happened. So what I believe is you may well see those guys you mention at some point after we lose our 9th game. Until then, nobody will admit that we are in rebuild mode, even though it should be apparent to all.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | November 19, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1 | November 19, 2010 12:03 PM

This was bugging me as well.

Remember every pre-season when people say the defense gets up to speed quicker and the O might take until early October to really gell?

New D is easier to learn the New O.

So?

What the he!! is taking so long Coach? In case nobody mentioned it yet, the games started counting a couple of weeks ago.

Posted by: edvar | November 19, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to keep picking on you, but what "Conventional wisdom" are you referring to? ...

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | November 19, 2010 12:02 PM

I was a lonely voice last year when I said there were a lot of bigger problems with this team than QB, and that the coach was being put in an untenable position by Vinny. I'm sure many of those same people will respond to that comment.

They both had flaws, but we now see that franchise QBs and HOF coaches have flaws and make bad decisions, too.

My get-well plan for the offense was:
1. Get rid of Vinny
2. Fix the O-line
3. Develop the young WRs you drafted
4. Draft a young RB
5 Draft a young QB

We're going to end up having to do all those things anyway, and yes, it will take years.

Go back to the old RI comments, and you'll see a prepoderance of people obsessed with firing Zorn and getting a magical franchise QB, as if that would fix everything. That's why I'm saying that appeared to be the conventional wisdom (at least on RI).

Posted by: Alan4 | November 19, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

'Sweat in the eyes' is a keeper...that sucks!!!

Posted by: PlayAction | November 19, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

What is the upside for next year in playing Rabach and Galloway? ZERO.

Posted by: edvar | November 19, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Hate to say it, but Rabach is going NOWHERE next year, he'll be back cause we just resigned him, and getting a better starting RG and backup LG are more important issues than C.

Now Galloway is another story. I know why Capers and Cook aren't playing, but it does kinda boggle my mind why Austin is not given a better look at WR. The only thing I can think of is if Shanny makes the move to activate all these practice squad players it might send the message to the other veterans that he is giving up on the season. As long as we are mathmatically in the playoff hunt there is no way we see any of them on the field. 'Monk' it down!

Posted by: monk811 | November 19, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Did I miss something? What happened to Wilbon?

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 19, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Follow the leader to the new post (if you can call an AH post "new.") Follow:

beep-beep

Posted by: beep-beep | November 19, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | November 19, 2010 12:11 PM

That is what I tell myself as well.

I do think it might look a little panicky to make wholesale changes, but I think we should look at easing those guys in if we drop this one against Houston and the O line is still getting out played and Galloway continues to have ZERO impact.

Posted by: edvar | November 19, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Sweat in eyes, tripped by
Vonnie, feel tired and lazy,
Think I'll just lay down!

Posted by: monk811 | November 19, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

The defense plays exactly like Haslett presents himself during his conferences with reporter: unsure of himself, uneasy, he seems nervous; displays a lack of confidence. A team is a direct reflection of the coach.

Posted by: kingpenn1 | November 19, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1 | November 19, 2010 12:03 PM

I think "learning curve" really means "I don't have the athletes for this defense". Haslett has mentioned it's take about three years to get the people needed to run his defense.

Posted by: TWISI | November 19, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

"Our guys are actually doing a good job," he said. "They fight through. We worked hard today at it. But it does take some time, because it's not just one little piece. It's not just the 3-4. Then you got nickel, then you got 'fast nickel,' then you got another personnel grouping"

Let's put aside the delusional aspects of these statements for a moment.

Let's take Haslett at face value. If his players are doing a good job as he says then the inescapable conclusion is that he is doing a terrible job.

Posted by: 54465446 | November 19, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

The offense is also a direct reflection of the OC. This guy is still learning how to be an OC. He's a work in progress and seems a little bewildered. The offense is a work in progress and is still learning how to move the ball and score.

Posted by: kingpenn1 | November 19, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

haslet said... "the 3-4 doesn't work in redskins territory!!"

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | November 19, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kingpenn1 | November 19, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

After listening to the coaching staff, I'm beginning to wonder, after nine games into the season, if our defensive players are less than bright?? Although, they apparently were bright enough to play the 4-3 for a number years, registering top ten performances.

I guess we have to remember that at the beginning of the season, nobody expected big things from this team. The core has not changed and it will take time and hopefully draft choices to change it.

Posted by: harryrainbolt | November 19, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I guess we have to remember that at the beginning of the season, nobody expected big things from this team. The core has not changed and it will take time and hopefully our own draft choices to improve out team.

Posted by: harryrainbolt | November 19, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I completely disagree with Haslett's logic on the 3-4, for this group of talent. Go back to the 4-3, use way less nickle, more dime and quarter, and throw in the 4-6. He just doesn't appear to be very creative...

Posted by: gogolpost | November 19, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Our boys are 7 point dogs this week. Considering our injuries, the fact that we're really just not very good, and playing on the road following a MNF game that gives us a very short week, I'd say we would be very lucky to cover 7 points. I'm thinking a double digit loss on Sunday.

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | November 19, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Haslett has been a failure wherever he has gone.

The Saints D was terrible during his last 2 years. It went downhill quickly.

Posted by: Bious | November 19, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

This is all Haslett and more importantly Shan-A-Rat. Haslett should have been FIRED ON TUESDAY moening at 12:01am this past tuesday. We have no linebackers with speed to the outside.
We have a Safety that should be a linebacker. Defensive backs that are afraid to tackle, all you see are whiffs. I like to have seen the defense stay with the 4-3. Haslett is a "Has-Been" coach. Can anyone say 5-11 at best.

Posted by: butche106 | November 19, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Learning seem to be going backward.... now what kind of curve is that...

Top 10 defense turned into last place defense... now that's some achievement...

Posted by: SeedofChange | November 19, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

butche106,

Are you serious? Are you even a Redskin fan? That is the reaction that has fueled Snyder to sink our team the last 10 years. We need patience. I am a season ticket holder and was there Monday night. I was mad as hell that night and still can not believe it happened but you DO NOT under any circumstances switch from the plan now. I think Shanny knew this was going to take time despite the "win now" stuff. We all want to win now but they for the most part are moving in the right direction. Remember last year before you say fire Shanny. He has made some mistakes (Galloway, timing on McNabb benching) but he and Allen have made moves to lead us for the next few years not just this one, like always happened in the past. Either hop on the train and ride it till the end or get the hell off!

Posted by: B2WIN | November 19, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

"Learning curve" is code for "Haslett haven't remotely gotten the job done". The talent is already there, the failure rests solely with the coordinator. Giving up the most points is by far as clear an indication of a failing defense. It's a stat much more damning than, for example, any increased turnover differential the Skins have this season: last time I checked, the reason you want turnovers is to stop drives and aid your team in scoring points. When the game ends, the team with MORE points wins...if you give up more than anybody in the league, then you are the worst defense in the NFL. Simple. Shouldn't be happening with the talent on this team.

Posted by: winker2233 | November 19, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Great coaches adapt their schemes to the talent of the players on hand. I guess this is why Haslett isn't considered great.

Posted by: Redskinrex | November 19, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse