Landry looking to be big hit in '10

If you ignore the Virginia backdrop, the smattering of fans at Redskins Park and the fact that players aren't in full uniform - if you ignore all of that and just focus on safety LaRon Landry, you might not realize at times that this is just training camp.

Players aren't supposed to tackle out here, but that doesn't mean Landry is going to hold back a hard hit or two.

"It's kind of what you would call a thud tempo," says tight end Chris Cooley. "Most guys just bump up against you when you have the ball. LaRon likes to go into the full tackling mode. He's in scrimmage mode at all times. We talked about it in the locker room and he said, 'Why are you giving me a hard time?' I said, 'You are the only one that tackles. So if
you're going to tackle me I am going to give you a hard time about it. You're going to have to deal with that.'"

And what does Coach Mike Shanahan think?

"I don't mind those hard hits," he said. "I mean, we're going to get those in the game. I love those hard hits."

For Landry, it's the same aggressive mentality that he's always brought to the field, but this year he thinks he'll be placed in position to better channel that energy. Not that he's eager to describe his former role under Coach Jim Zorn.

"This is going to be a whole new year for me. I don't want to talk about it," he says of 2009. "I don't want to talk about it."

But his role before, as described by former defensive coordinator Greg Blache was as an "angel in the backfield." He was often positioned 25-plus yards off the ball. "Don't let anything get behind you," Landry says of his former role. "This year, it's not. It's more aggressive, go and get it. Be smart about it, but go get it, be aggressive."
In camp, he's often been lined up near the line of scrimmage and has blitzed on multiple occasions, a rarity under Blache. He's also looked good in coverage. He had an interception on Sunday that he returned for a touchdown.

He says the new defense will position him to be a play-maker rather than a play-stopper.

"Brand new start, new defense. Involved a little bit more," he said. "Really, it's got a lot of emphasis on me this year. In this defense, strong safety is really a focal point of this defense. A lot more opportunities to make plays."

And though Shanahan is clear that he wants his defenders to wrap guys, Landry won't be shy to bring a big hit.

"You know what you're getting out of No. 30," Cooley says. "He's not making us worse; he's making everyone better. He loves playing the game, he is an extreme competitor and you can't ask for more out of a guy. It's never fun to get tackled the second day of training camp, but it's football."

By Rick Maese  |  August 1, 2010; 2:00 PM ET
Categories:  3-4 defense , training camp
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thomas makes a move in the WR battle
Next: Tryon hopes third year is charm

Comments

He's hitting people, but has he made any plays? Landry is a player on a short rope.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 1, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

You can't have enough guys on your team like Landry who just love the game and could have played in ANY era. Sure, he'll make his share of mistakes but he's going 100 mph when he's doing it. I'm glad to see they're finally cutting this guy loose and I hope he's up to the task.

Posted by: gtown85 | August 1, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Dude is all abnout hitting. Trouble is, when he misses, he misses big... Hopefully the coaching staff can teach him to wrap somebody and take them down, rather than just try to bowl them over.

Posted by: Vic1 | August 1, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Dude is all about hitting. Trouble is, when he misses, he misses big... Hopefully the coaching staff can teach him to wrap somebody and take them down, rather than just try to bowl them over.

Posted by: Vic1 | August 1, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

That I like... enough with the lip service and flexing, show me the goods consistently. I hope last year was just an anomaly for this dude. I noticed his softness came out when his brother ended up in the hospital after that neck injury.

Posted by: bhoang888 | August 1, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

more hype for landry, what a surprise

Posted by: BMACattack | August 1, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I'll believe it when I see it concerning Landry. The guy isn't labeled a "Bust" yet, but definitely a dissapointment...

Posted by: redskinbo | August 1, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

He's hitting people, but has he made any plays?

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 1, 2010 2:19 PM

Wouldn't you call an interception and return for a touchdown making a play? Or did you just skip over that part of the article?

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 1, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I went to the Saturday morning practice but haven't had a chance to sit down and share my thoughts, as well as share photos, until now.

- Devin Thomas started out shaky on Saturday morning but eventually got into the groove. They were running a drill pretty early on where the receiver would make a cut, catch a pass, and then immediately be hit by McCardell with a blocking pad. Devin's first attempt resulted in the ball popping loose when getting hit, and he dropped his second attempt. Later in the day though, during 11-11 drills, he made a bunch of really nice catches along the sideline

- Portis is looking good. I'm not sure if it's because he's already familiar with the offense, but he broke off several long runs

- Larry Johnson had a couple of really nice runs as well, one that may have gone for a TD in a real game

- Ryan Torain also was looking good, although against backups mainly

- From what I could tell, Trent Williams was doing a good job. He was often times on the far side of the line from where I was standing, but I didn't see his man getting into the backfield very often

- The only interception thrown was on the first pass in 11-11 work. D. Hall picked off McNabb

- Speaking of D. Hall, at one point it looked like he hurt his ankle. But, after some brief work from the trainers on the sideline, he was back out on the field the next time the first string D was out there

- I took a creepy stalker photo of Jason Reid to show you crazy commenters that he is in fact on the beat (check the link at the end of my comments). At one point I heard him jokingly tell his colleague that he was "such an ahole". Sometimes I wish JReid would call people in the comments section aholes

- Listening to fans of other NFL teams go on-and-on about who is going to be good on the Redskins this year and who is going to suck is obnoxious. This one kid next to me kept calling Willie Parker "Joey Porter". Uhhh, wrong position, dude

And finally, here are a ton of photos I took yesterday:

Posted by: --swb | August 1, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Landry is in the "show me" category. Too many issues over the past few seasons. Heck, last year Landry described his role as "Don't let anything get behind you". And we saw plenty of stuff -- often inexcusable -- that got behind him.

He can talk, do stuff in practice, etc. But I'll believe in LL30 only when I see it on the field.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 1, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

--swb,
Thanks for the report. You guys going to practices, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 1, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

lmao, yeah, I'm a little worried now that the guy who wasn't supposed to "let anything get behind me" and often did just that is now going to be allowed to get tricked more often. Great!

Posted by: rphilli721 | August 1, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Happy to observer and report, kaasmaster. A couple more things I forgot to note:

- Gano looked solid yesterday. They did an extended period of FG drills and I believe he only missed once, possibly twice. Of course, everything was from within 40 yards, but he was routinely kicking over the height of the goal posts (they have a net between the goal posts and a lot of his kicks went over the net).

- Santana Moss pretty much caught everything thrown his way. It's pretty crazy watching him in person, up close, because he's so fast. His cuts are so crisp and quick, much more so than the other receivers

- I'm trying to recall the negative plays I saw. The first time McNabb went deep, it was to Devin Thomas. The throw was probably a foot overthrown...all Thomas could do was get a fingertip on the ball. He was open though

- There were a few occasions where the QB held the ball for way too long. The plays would have resulted in a sack during an actual game, but because you can't sack the QB in practice, it generally ended up being a completed pass

- As noted by the WaPo, Malcolm Kelly was off doing work on the side for the entire practice

- I did see Andre Carter get beat a few times when he had to drop into coverage

- I guess this should be seen as a positive thing, since it would mean the offense outsmarted the defense, but at one point Andre Carter had to cover Santana Moss. I'm hoping that gets played in real games, where Moss gets lined up opposite an LB

- McNabb was throwing to Fred Davis a lot

Posted by: --swb | August 1, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

On another note I went to sundays practice and all I can say is Colt does not look good. It seems to me Bartel is clearly better than colt so far. I was impressed today by Bartel considering I wasn't even checking for him...

Posted by: jiza32 | August 1, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kaasmaster

That is one play he made, of course they're going to tell us about any big play he's made in an article about him. Can he cover a double move?, is the sort of thing I would be interested in.
One play (not plays) he made where he may have just been lucky doesn't tell us what camp he seems to be having, hence my post.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 1, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: --swb | August 1, 2010 3:27 PM

great photos swb... thanks for the updates.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | August 1, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

"Sometimes I wish JReid would call people in the comments section aholes..."

Posted by: --swb

two observations on this:

1) maybe he considers it beneath his dignity.

2) its belaboring the obvious.

Posted by: mdrockjock | August 2, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

If Landry blows his knee out, are we a better defense? I thought that on one too many occasions last year when he was awful.

He needs to be a better all around safety than a one dimensional safety. He was a clown last year.

Posted by: Rex91 | August 2, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I just can't get the image of LL being run over. I work in an office full of Giants fans so that sucked. Man I miss 21.

Posted by: scoobysnacks_1919 | August 3, 2010 2:48 AM | Report abuse