London Fletcher says defensive players understand their new roles

Inside linebacker London Fletcher has been the leader of the defense since he joined the Redskins prior to the 2007 season.

During that time, Fletcher has played under three head coaches and three defensive coordinators. Fletcher's leadership was key in keeping the locker room together - as much as it could be - during the tumultuous 2009 season.

As the Redskins continue their preparations to kick off the season on Sunday night against the Dallas Cowboys at FedEx Field, Fletcher is confident in his new role in the defense and about the direction of the franchise overall.

"It's somewhat different, I guess you can say, just from my alignment standpoints, how you see things," Fletcher said of the shift in schemes from a 4-3 to a 3-4. "As far as less responsibilities, I can't tell you that. There's still a lot that's required.

"Everybody's required to know what their responsibilities are. The responsibilities don't change. [We] still have to communicate pre-snap. I can't say it's any different."

Players know their roles, Fletcher said.

"I think we're good as far as understanding how the scheme works, what our responsibilities are," he said. "Now, once you get into a week where you can actually game plan [for] opponents, [you] see what they like to do.

"Obviously, because they [the Cowboys] practice against the 3-4 all the time, especially coming right out of training camp, maybe it's not as [much as] an advantage as a team that faces a 4-3 scheme all the time in practice. But they haven't faced our 3-4, so we'll see how things go for us."

By Jason Reid  |  September 9, 2010; 9:50 AM ET
Categories:  3-4 defense , London Fletcher
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Trent Williams faces tough test in DeMarcus Ware in his NFL debut
Next: Two Cowboys offensive linemen will miss game

Comments

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your LT Bent Williams doesn't stand a chance against Ware. If you think Suggs fractured McNabb's ankle just wait until Ware unloads on him. The trainers better have their smelling salts handy and Shanahan better make sure your backup QBs (both of 'em) are ready to go.

I stand by my original prediction:

Cowboys 35
Redskins 3

Wish I could be in DC to see you clowns flying Cowboys flags on your cars after you lose. Other than that, there's no other reason for me to ever visit that hellhole again. It just doesn't get any better than Pampa, Texas.

Warmly,
Joe

Posted by: PampaTex | September 9, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I stand by my original prediction:

Cowboys 35
Redskins 3

Warmly,
Joe

Joe

Why is it so hard for you to express your true feelings?

Posted by: carlhimmelright | September 9, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Forget about my car... how does my hair look???

Posted by: Tom_Brady | September 9, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Rypien11, weather for sunday:

"Sunday clouds are expected to start dropping showers early in the morning with readings in the 60s. A rumble of thunder is possible but full-fledged storms are not likely. This would be a lower probability event if it weren't for the tropical moisture which pushes it up to 50-60%. Showers are likely to end by midday if not before and highs should still reach the upper 70s to lower 80s. Evening is much improved with drying and readings in the 70s. Confidence: Medium"

from:

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | September 9, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

The Skins and Cowpies almost always play close games. I expect this to be similar, and it wouldn't surprise me to see BOTH starting QBs go down at some point during the game.

The O-line performance of both teams will be the dominant factor in this game.

Posted by: Alan4 | September 9, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

So, someone help me out with my HADS (Haynesworth Attention Deficit Syndrome). So far, we know that he won't be traded this week, probably won't start against Dallas, had a good day of practice, and he dialed it in that last preseason game. Am I missing anything? What did he have for breakfast? New Haynesworth post coming in five, four, three, two...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 9, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Dez Bryant: 'I'm just ready to unleash'

08:36 PM CDT on Wednesday, September 8, 2010
David Moore / reporter
Dez Bryant hasn't played a game in nearly a year. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has talked about how the team's first round pick is chomping at the bit for Sunday night's opener in Washington.

He's right.

"It's been a long time, man,'' Bryant said. "I just feel like, I'm just ready to unleash.''

Bryant said the high ankle sprain that forced him to miss the majority of training camp is 100 percent. What should we expect to see from him against the Redskins?

"Just going out there and doing my best,'' the receiver said. "That's about it. I've got the playbook done.

"I just feel like this is it. I've got to go out and play.''

• • •

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 9, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

What was Brady driving where he gets up and walks away, but they have to get the driver of the other vehicle out with the jaws of life? It just said "sedan" in the article I read, but I feel like armor-plated, bullet-proof and other adjectives might need to be added...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 9, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

'Skins v. Pokes - Breakdown

O-Line - Advantage 'Skins

D-Line - Advantage 'Skins (assuming Haney plays)

QB - Slight Advantage, Pokes

Starting RB - Advantage 'Skins (yes, really)

WR's - Advantage Pokes

TE - Advantage 'Skins

Secondary - Push

Linebackers - Push

Kicking - Advantage 'Skins

Coaching - Unfair Advantage 'Skins

BOOK ME!

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 9, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

had a good day of practice...

not that you'd get that kind of information up here.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 9, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 9, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

********************************

If we need any smelling salts, I am sure we can borrow some from the Dallas trainers. I think they have plenty left over from the abuse that Troy Barkman took.

Ouchie.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 9, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Warmly,
Joe

Posted by: PampaTex | September 9, 2010 9:58 AM

Wait, there's actually a place called Pampa, TX? You have to be kidding me! Does everyone talk in baby talk there. I mean, we all know North Mexico is a complete joke and everyone from there has such a nervous pride about their state (which everyone else hates). Pampa. Haha, what a great laugh. Thanks Joe!!

Posted by: Section104 | September 9, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

I know my role.

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 9, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

The connection between Hall and Vick is not widly known...about Hall having Vick's back. Also, 90% of America have no clue who Vick is; 40% maybe. Your argument is flawed. D Hall has a big mouth, period.

Posted by: smokeybear2

See this is what I'm talking about. Did Hall butt rape your sister or something?

Listen dude, when I say "90% of America" I'm talking about those who follow football. And given the the publicity Vick's trial received even those who don't follow football now know who Mike Vick is.

Again, within the realm of football, I have no doubt that people know about the Hall/Vick connection. Both came from the same area, both went to VA Tech, both played for the Falcons. I'd go so far as to say that they're friends.

Your retort is flawed dude.

If you look at the facts instead of getting all emotional about Hall, you'd know this. But something tells me that you do anyway, and just want to hate for the sake of hating.

Aren't you due in California to spread awareness about forest fires or some sh*t?

Posted by: RedDMV | September 9, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | September 9, 2010 10:22 AM

Hey, don't send that d0uchebag out here.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 9, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Injury Report
Updated September 8, 2010
DALLAS COWBOYS
•T Marc Colombo (knee) - Did Not Participate - The veteran tackle missed Wednesday's practice, making his return for Sunday's game even more uncertain. Wade Phillips said Wednesday if he doesn't practice at all, then Colombo likely won't play. Colombo had a routine clean-up knee scope on Aug. 16 and was expected to miss 2-4 weeks. None of the injured offensive linemen made the trip to TCU for Wednesday's practice.
•G Kyle Kosier (knee) - Did Not Participate - After suffering a sprained knee the first week of the Cowboys' stay in Oxnard, Calif., Kosier remains sidelined with an injury first declared 4-6 weeks. He's not expected to play against Washington on Sunday, and his status for the first month of the season is in doubt.
•T Sam Young (knee) - Did Not Participate - The sixth-round rookie made the Cowboys' 53-man roster despite suffering what Wade Phillips called a 3-4 week knee sprain in the Aug. 28 preseason game at Houston. Young is continuing his rehab at Valley Ranch.
•WR Roy Williams (back, hip) - Though held out of the Cowboys' lone full-pads practice last week while still feeling some stiffness coming out of the Houston exhibition, Williams returned to the Valley Ranch field with his teammates this week. He is not listed on the team's official injury report.
•S Gerald Sensabaugh (shoulder) - Full Participation - A dislocated shoulder at San Diego on Aug. 21 put Sensabaugh's availability for the season-opener in question, but he said Monday he expects to play at Washington. Sensbauagh said he wasn't sure if he'll need to wear a stabilizing harness to keep his shoulder in place.
•LB Keith Brooking (shoulder) - The veteran suffered a shoulder injury in the Aug. 21 preseason game in San Diego, but has said several times he could've returned to that game, or any of the others if it were the regular season. Brooking said this week he will play against Washington.
•WR Dez Bryant (ankle) - Neither Bryant or coach Wade Phillips say the rookie's high ankle sprain, suffered the first week of training camp, will be impactful going forward. After running routes at full speed on Aug. 28 he returned to practice last week and is expected to be the Cowboys' No. 3 receiver on Sunday night, and will probably handle either kickoff or punt returns, if not both.
•DE Marcus Spears (knee) - Like Koiser, Spears' sprained MCL was called a 4-6 week injury, though his came early enough in training camp to return last week, in time to start at left end against the Redskins.
•DT Josh Brent (hand) - While the rookie defensive tackle has played through a broken right hand that he suffered early in training camp in late July, Brent continues to wear a supportive cast. Head coach Wade Phillips said Brent now wears a smaller cast, that only covers the wrist and lower part of the hand, leaving him the opportunity to use more grip with his fingers. Brent is the backup nose tackle to Jay Ratliff.

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 9, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

knock him out, 4th... knock him out.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 9, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

anyone else perturbed about mcnabb constantly referring to the eagles as "us" and "we". He said it on his radio show the other day as well as the earlier article this morning. Maybe it's just that old habits die hard, but when I think of us and we I think of burgundy and gold, and i feel like he's still thinking about those filthy pricks up in north baltidelphia.

Posted by: notthecrochunter | September 9, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Walter. Driving in from Albany.

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 9, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

As we all know by now

PampaTex = Tampax

Posted by: hessone | September 9, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PampaTex | September 9, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I thought I smelled something bad in here, and sure enough, it's a Cowpie fan!!!
By the way, you must have us confused with Eagles fans, we don't jump ship so easily, which by the way you'll be doing after we win the Super Bowl in Big JumboTron Stadium! HTTR, and F-Dallas!

Posted by: monk811 | September 9, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 9, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

brady was driving an Audi....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 9, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 9, 2010 10:15 AM

Brady was in an Audi. Looks like an S6.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 9, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

As we all know by now

PampaTex = tampax

Posted by: hessone | September 9, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Red, he missed several tackles last year, along with the rest of the secondary. What most fans want to see out of Hall is less talk and more production.

Posted by: hessone

hess, Flounder21 summed it up properly:

D-Hall had more tackels then CR-22 and he had 4 INT's compared to 0 for CR-22, so I don't care if he talks or not he plays hard and gives production.

Posted by: Flounder21

So please spare me the "more production" stuff. Yes, he can do a little more and hopefully will. They ALL do! But the "more production" argument is a straight up weak excuse when trying to explain the discontent for the guy. Dude has been productive since he's been here. Okay, he's not a great tackler.

THIS JUST IN: THIS DIDN'T JUST IN

He's not a good tackler, but he doesn't get consistently beat on double moves (Looking at you 'Los), as much as he gambles he's still a good cover corner, and he produces takeaways.

I'm done with the Hall defending for the day. I think I've made my point. I bring objective analysis based on the field production to the argument and others bring up the fact he talks to much. This is pointless....

Posted by: RedDMV | September 9, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 9, 2010 10:15 AM

I'm about 80% sure he was driving the car from "The Transporter"...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Rypien11,
i saw a few days back how you were traveling in from 400 miles away, or something like that, like you always do, and staying in the hotel, like you always do.... that's why i answered your question. wow...THAT's a fan. i mean, i'm a fan and all, and i'll be watching and all, but i'm just traveling from kitchen to sofa to bathroom to sofa etc...

what's the farthest any redskin fan is coming to watch the game? (i guess this question/poll is only so accurate in that only people reading this blog will even have a chance to answer.) so, any of you other out-or-towners coming to the game?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | September 9, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

walter, I drove down from Boston to see a game in 2008....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 9, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

beeps and beeps again.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 9, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | September 9, 2010 10:36 AM |

I hear you red, besides, I'm done with last year and I'm moving on. I cringe at some of the things athlete's say in general. I believe, as you and I stated before, that the Redskins secondary as a whole was the problem last year and not words that were spoken by any of them.

Posted by: hessone | September 9, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

"He's (DHall) not a good tackler,..."

Any team that depends on its corners to tackle a lot has problems outside of poor cornerback play.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 9, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: notthecrochunter | September 9, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Was he using it when referring to his time with the eagles or the eagles now with out him?

In past tense he is supposed to use Us and We, that was his team. No beef with that.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 9, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

As we all know by now

PampaTex = Tampax

Posted by: hessone | September 9, 2010 10:31 AM
---------------------------------
lmao...very funny!

Posted by: jcnjcnj | September 9, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

jeez, bean...what's that? like 8-10 hours each way?!

i guess there are two aspects to this question:

1)distance

2)travel time

i mean someone flying in from CA would have ~ 3000 miles each way, but only 6-8 hours travel time (figuring showing up early at the airport, check-in etc...)

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | September 9, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

London attack and don't play a finesse game. Don't wait and admire anyone on the other side of the kill-zone. If you do then wear blue-white-and gray and let us attack you.

Posted by: CTaylor42 | September 10, 2010 2:10 AM | Report abuse