Lorenzo Alexander learning yet another position

Is there any limit to Lorenzo Alexander's versatility?

It seems the Redskins are determined to find out after recently requesting that the outside linebacker learn to play the inside backer positions just in case he is needed in an emergency situation.

Of course, Alexander complied. He is studying the playbook to learn the assignments of starting inside linebackers London Fletcher and Rocky McIntosh, and backup H.B. Blades.

"Everything starts out as an emergency-type thing," Alexander said. "I'm learning the middle linebacker, and hopefully I'll be able to fill in for guys just in case, God forbid, if Rocky or London or H.B. went down with an injury. If they needed somebody to play there in the game, I'd be able to step in and just fill another role on the team."

If you're scoring at home, Alexander has lined up at outside linebacker, defensive tackle, defensive end, guard, tight end and fullback. He also fills roles on special teams.

He has made a smooth transition to outside linebacker from his former primary position along the defensive line. Defensive coordinator Jim Haslett raves about Alexander, who will back up Andre Carter, a converted defensive end, against the Dallas Cowboys in the season opener Sunday night. Alexander is expected to play primarily on third downs.

With this being Dallas Week and Alexander only starting to learn the inside positions, "I'm not going to get [practice] reps at it at all," he said. "I mean, London, Rocky ... they're going to give the reps to guys who are preparing to play. They're not going to prepare for an emergency.

"I try to take my reps when we do practice-squad things. I don't know it quite all the way but I know certain defenses. I can't tell you I know the whole playbook yet - but I plan to learn the whole playbook. I want to be versatile. That's been my M.O. since I've been here."

So, are all those positions a little overwhelming at times? "You know where I went to school, so it's never too much," said Alexander, a graduate of the University of California at Berkeley. "I'm a smart guy. I can handle it."

"It's not a big thing. You learn how to make things simple, so you can group things together. You hear one call, it might be the same thing for three, four, five different calls. You just group 'em together and it's all the same. That's how I kind of learn and keep it all together."

By Jason Reid  |  September 8, 2010; 12:00 PM ET
Categories:  3-4 defense
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Reed Doughty set to start at free safety Sunday
Next: Donovan McNabb no longer the new kid

Comments

It is tough being such a versatile player like me, but anything for the team.

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 8, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Redskins Insider is posing as an actual blog this week I wonder if we should get used to it.

Posted by: zjenks | September 8, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Jake of all trades but master at none? Still love this guy though.

Posted by: Devo2 | September 8, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

just imagine how good he'd be if the team had given him a spot and let him develop. Ah, but that just isn't the Redskins. If you're playing the position you're best suited for, you're in the wrong spot.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 8, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

You gotta love his versatility and attitude. Unfortunately if he was any good at any of the other positions, he'd still be playing them.

Not "hating", just saying it reminds me of my baseball career. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 8, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

"Reed Doughty set to start at free safety Sunday"

Here's hoping those unforeseen developments develop!

Posted by: stevek20147 | September 8, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Lorenzo Alexander = Coach in Training

Posted by: psps23 | September 8, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

'Zo's brain in AH's body. Whew!

Posted by: LibertyValence | September 8, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Why don't they just end the suspense and announce that the man will be the #3 QB, back-up kickoff kicker, back-up 3rd down back and will freelance as the beer/nacho man in section 330 during halftime.

The dude does it all. Easily one of the players I like to root for.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 8, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

BTW, pass defense might be weaker if they decide to target Doughty.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 8, 2010 12:05 PM |

Dude - you can lose the "might" and "if". They are going to target him and the pass D will be weaker. Miles is going to be wearing his track shoes.

Posted by: LibertyValence | September 8, 2010 12:14 PM |

Right because last year when we lost to them 7-6 and Reed started at saftey, they really torched us for all of 152 yards passing.

The second game with Landry and Moore starting at saftey they had 285 yards passing, now I know Moore is the better player and I can't wait for him to get back but let's not act like this is a lost cause.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 8, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Well, I sighed in relief once I found out it was another linebacker position Lorenzo Alexander was learning and not the free safety position. Guys like Alexander, Armstrong, and Moore are making this team fun to watch. You have to love the brown baggers who just work, work, work and get better, better, better. Let's hope the youngsters are absorbing what these guys are all about. I would like to see Banks and Austin get a dose of that.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 8, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

If they franchised him, would he get $65 million?

Great to have such a versatile player on the defense. However, shouldn't Carter and his pass rushing abilities line up primarily on 3rd down? He did have 10+ sacks last year. I'm sure they'll both play at times, like when Orakpo needs to leave the game to eat a horse to refuel.

Posted by: Section104 | September 8, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm expecting to see heavy dose of running back and wide receiver screen on Sunday. I have a feeling Brandon Banks will be involved heavily very early simply to tire out the defense.

Posted by: abxinc | September 8, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

New nickname for Zo: Swiss.

As in Swiss Army Knife.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 8, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

love lorenzo. love his attitude and versatility. but, does this mean he's not very good at any one position?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | September 8, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

New nickname for Zo: Swiss.

As in Swiss Army Knife.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 8, 2010 12:34 PM

I like it but he currently has a better one.

One Man Gang

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 8, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

BREAKING NEWS:

Leigh Torrence was cut from the Saints...

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 8, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 8, 2010 12:29 PM |
------------------------------------------
I don't want to be Mr. Dark Cloud here, but Doughty wasn't playing free safety in that game. He was playing strong safety in Blache's defense. Doughty is a great guy but he doesn't have the quickness that Landry or Moore have. He's an asset near the line of scrimmage because of his sure tackling and a liability playing deep. My thinking is he stays in on running downs and is replaced by a third corner in passing downs. That's how I would use him. The very last thing we want to see is Doughty playing in a two deep zone. Baltimore used him like old sneakers when he was in the two deep.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 8, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth

Not funny anymore; it was a good idea though.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | September 8, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Inactives week 1:

John Beck (Emergency QB)
Perry Riley (Injury)
Vonnie Holliday or Jeremy Jarmon
Kareem Moore (Injury)
Brandon Banks or Roydell Williams
Logan Paulsen
Anthony Bryant
Daryl Young

Posted by: goose33 | September 8, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Keep it quiet, but coach said the trade is going down this weekend.

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 8, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

BREAKING NEWS:

Leigh Torrence was cut from the Saints...

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 8, 2010 12:45 PM
------------------------------------------
Then it's a lock that they won't be going to the Super Bowl. The Redskins should sign him right away...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 8, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

What happened to 'beep-beep'?

Seems to me like we need to slap a personal foul, loss of down penalty on any cat who posts FIRST but doesn't go back to the previous post to signal the new thread.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 8, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

for Rocky or London or H.B.? Riley outperformed H.B. in preseason. Zo seems better fitted at ILB b/c he can shed blocks better with his size and he's not as explosive from the edge at OLB.

Posted by: pgugino | September 8, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Beeps.

Posted by: wireman65 | September 8, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: hessone | September 8, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure what the RI/leigh torrence phenomenon is? Is it a running joke in that he left the skins then had success? do people think he is a better DB than he actually is?

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | September 8, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: abxinc | September 8, 2010 12:34 PM
------------------------------------------
Not so sure about that, but I'd bank on seeing McNabb rolling out about half of the time, with about half of those fakes as he hands off to the running back cutting against the grain. Those plays were really effective against the Bills and then they backed off through the rest of the games, but I expect them to use it frequently against the Cowboys' aggressive defense.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 8, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

New nickname for Zo: Swiss.

As in Swiss Army Knife.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 8, 2010 12:34 PM
---------------------------------------
No..thats corny....try again

Posted by: jcnjcnj | September 8, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Good call, especially on a heavy package. Too bad for Henson was going to make it.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | September 8, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I think we need to get Zo working on his 5 step drops.

Posted by: Keiser | September 8, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Can you say future coach?

Posted by: zickzack | September 8, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

However, I sure hope he doesn't say "you know where I went to school" when they ask about his personal life. That's too much versatility.

Posted by: zickzack | September 8, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

After he retires, he should run for President.

Posted by: charley42 | September 9, 2010 7:21 AM | Report abuse