New-look Redskins to get first crack at game action on Friday night

The Redskins ran a spread offense the past two seasons under then-coach Jim Zorn, but it was not as complex as the West Coast scheme Mike and Kyle Shanahan have brought to Washington. And defensive coordinator Jim Haslett has scrapped the successful 4-3 the team used since 2004 in favor of an aggressive 3-4.

Redskins players have had a lot to learn since the offseason, and the coaching staff will begin to gauge their progress in games as the preseason schedule kicks off Friday night against the Buffalo Bills at FedEx Field. The Shanahans and Haslett will be watching closely.

"This is what you look forward to, to see 'em in game situations," Coach Mike Shanahan said. "That's what you practice for, that's why you get 'em in shape, to see how they play on game day.

"And so it's interesting to see how guys step up. Some guys, crowd doesn't bother at all. Other people, all of a sudden they kind of get overwhelmed. They lose their focus and concentration. It's fun to see how people step up."

By Jason Reid  |  August 13, 2010; 1:00 PM ET
Categories:  3-4 defense , Kyle Shanahan , Mike Shanahan , Preseason schedule
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Santana Moss says Redskins' new 3-4 defense has been tough to practice against
Next: A new (pre)season finally begins: What to watch for

Comments

Posted by: Gussneck | August 13, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

ZEKE’S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES

Once again, brought to by the finest people at Yahoo!

Here’s what I’d be looking for in the preseason opener, if I watched it. Which I probably won’t. So you guys tell me what happened. First, a quick shout to edvar, whose list is very similar to mine.

Trent Williams. I’d like to see how he handles game speed. Especially interested in his run blocking. He’s obviously early in his learning phase, so I’m not too concerned if he blows a play. But I’d like to see how he matches up physically against a so-so DE.

Artis Hicks. Would like to know if he’s up to the job. Its Buffalo we’re playing, so if he’s struggling now, it wouldn’t be a good thing.

Would like to see if DT11 shows signs of getting it. He’s the only WR we have, other than Moss, that has the talent to put fear into a defense. Not at all worried about Moss or Fred Davis. I would like to see Cooley looking healthy. I think I know what we’ve got in Rabach, Dockery and Heyer.

On Portis, I’m looking to see if he has quickness in his cuts. Even if the running lanes aren’t there. With Jamaal Brown out, I’m not expecting much, even if it is against Buffalo. Ryan Torain is also of interest. And which RB can make a catch.

For McNabb, I don’t care. Whether he’s good or not, he’ll be fine by opening day. I do want to know something about the guys who’ll provide the extra protection – the blocking TE or FB. I’d look to see if anyone distinguishes themselves.

If the starting offense sputters and looks bad, I’m not concerned. Its pretty early for an offense this complex and with this many personnel changes to come together.

The 3-4. I’m interested in the LBs when we don’t do anything fancy. We’ve got LBs playing different positions. Carter, Lo, Rocky, Henson. I don’t like Orakpo as LB, he’s better with his hand down and exploding off the line. Don’t think I’d feel any different after this game. Haslett can run lots of tricky stunts and formations, but if you can’t play a good base defense, you’re just using gimmicks. Gimmicks don’t beat good teams. I’d wait until later in the preseason to look at the DL guys.

Does the secondary have a clue? I’d be looking for confusion, or hopefully, a lack of confusion. I’m also interested in what we do in nickel packages – mostly what we do with the front 6. I’m guessing there will be a lot of different looks, probably hard to draw any conclusions.

I expect (hope?) the defense looks good. Our defense has much more talent than the Bills’ offense. Should be a mismatch. Still, it’d be nice to see the base scheme be effective.

On special teams, I’m interested in the returners, but I’d expect to get very limited insight. A good quick move upfield on PR would be a good sign. And please, hold onto the ball.

And that’s a wrap on the preseason opener edition of ZEKE’S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES, as always, brought to by the finest people at Yahoo!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 13, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Please let this be a great year. Like winning a playoff game.

Posted by: Gussneck | August 13, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Someone has probably already asked, but I am too lazy to check - any chance you think I can find the game online anywhere (like I can usually find Caps games?)

Thanks.

Posted by: suzannepdc | August 13, 2010 11:58 AM

Don't thank me, thank Poopy_McPoop who provided these links on the Terps Insider.

Enjoy watching, Suzanne.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | August 13, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

The biggest thing I need to see tonight is protection for the qbs, thats what I want to see. Keep the qbs healthy.

Posted by: Gussneck | August 13, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

"And defensive coordinator Jim Haslett has scrapped the successful 4-3 the team used since 2004 in favor of an aggressive 3-4."

Really? what defense did the Redskins run prior to '04, The Fun N Done defense?

Posted by: BacktoGlory | August 13, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

oh snap, there's a game tonight? thanks for the update...

Posted by: LeonardWashington | August 13, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Wow - I'm so psyched. I can't wait for the game (>ŝ) It'll be great to see the new game plan.. (ŝ) Don't they keep the book closed 'till the Season?

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 13, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

My biggest hope is that Portis, Hayney, and rogers put the HATERS to shame.

It's not if you win or lose, it's how you embarass the Haters

Posted by: pabrian2003 | August 13, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Please let this be a great year. Like winning a playoff game.

Posted by: Gussneck | August 13, 2010 1:10 PM |

Is that a Redskins or a Cowboys wish? Hard to tell.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 13, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

AREA ADVERTISERS WELCOME NEW QUARTERBACK

LANDOVER, MD -- With tonight's start of the Washington Redskins football pre-season, many local businesses in the nation's capital are preparing to unveil a series of television advertisements featuring the new Redskins quarterback, Donovan McNabb.

A popular spokesman for many Philadelphia-area advertisers over the past 11 seasons that he played for the NFC East division rival Philadelphia Eagles, McNabb enjoyed one of the highest local Q-ratings -- a measure of recognition and popularity -- of any celebrity endorser in Philadelphia. However, McNabb is now preparing to start the next football season as a relative unknown in a new city.

Traded from the Eagles to Washington with only a year left on his current contract, McNabb and the Redskins have yet to reach an agreement on a new longer-term contract, or even an extension to his current contract -- leading many to wonder if McNabb will be nothing more than a one-year "rental player" who is simply filling a hole at the quarterback slot until the National Football League and NFL Players Association stage a lock out or walk out at the end of the current season -- or simply a seat-warmer until the Redskins can pick up a new quarterback prospect out of the 2011 college draft.

But rather than focus on the uncertainties of his situation, McNabb and his agents have decided to capitalize on it -- and assert that McNabb offers Washington area advertisers a near-perfect pitchman for transient living and lifestyles.

Thus, many of the new commercials starring McNabb are predicated on the quarterback's temporary status in his new city.

Over the coming weeks, Washington area television viewers will see McNabb pitching rental apartments, leased cars, temporary staffing agencies, temporary storage facilities, pay-to-own furniture outlets, drive-through fast food restaurants, cellular phone companies that don't require their customers to sign long-term contracts, and speed-dating services for people who want to enjoy all that life has to offer, but without all of the commitments and complications of long-term arrangements.

For more information, visit http://www.donovanmcnabb.com/

Posted by: Vic1 | August 13, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Don't they keep the book closed 'till the Season?

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 13, 2010 1:28 PM |

Yep. Tonight they'll be running Zorn offense, Blache defense.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 13, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Really? what defense did the Redskins run prior to '04, The Fun N Done defense?

Posted by: BacktoGlory | August 13, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Since 2004, we ran the successful 4-3. Prior to 2004, we ran the unsuccessful 4-3.

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | August 13, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

It's not if you win or lose, it's how you embarass the Haters

Posted by: pabrian2003 | August 13, 2010 1:28 PM

"Our next guest is nominated... for callin in a bomb threat... to the Special Olympics maaaannnnn!!!! DAMN THATS HATEFUL!!"

Posted by: Rypien11 | August 13, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 13, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

My favorite time of year...when we start hearing ZEKE'S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 13, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

It's not if you win or lose, it's how you embarass the Haters

Posted by: pabrian2003 | August 13, 2010 1:28 PM

Posted by: Rypien11 | August 13, 2010 1:45 PM |
"...and as I sip my Coke....that I'm sure somebody spit in, I just wanna say to all you......F you, you rotten mother fu*kers. I hate you, I hate you, I don't even know you and I hate your guts. I hope all the bad things in life happen to you....and nobody else...but you."

"Now if you'll excuse me, I gotta go home and put some water in Buck Nasty's momma's dish."

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 13, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 13, 2010 1:19 PM

C'mon son. You can't "own" someone using hackneyed "doing your wife/mother" lines. Certainly, a "multi-degreed, executive level, private schooled dude" can do better than that. I guess weed smoking doesn't enhance creativity for everyone.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 13, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I am confused by the first line in this "The Redskins ran a spread offense the past two seasons under then-coach Jim Zorn,"

that was the spread?

I though Zorn ran a vanilla West Coast offence, and didn't like using shotgun or anything like that. Also I can't remember seeing the skins line up in that many 4 WR sets.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 13, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm more interested in watching how many times this new long snapper fawks up.

Posted by: oh_boy1 | August 13, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I love when they do the annual photo-flip and they show Osama Bin Laden. Buck Nasty (Charlie Murphy) is like "That N***a pumped my gas in my car on the way over here."

Then Silky Johnson (Chappelle) says "Well that's funny because I take Yoga classes from him."

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 13, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

The game is on NFL Network.

Posted by: TheJury | August 13, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

4-3 since 2004? don't you mean since 1973... back when the QB never threw the ball and the helmets were leather? :-) seriously tho, when was the last time we used something different than a 4-3?

Posted by: destewar | August 13, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

We work here, we live here, we raise our families here, but we're not from here. Now stop piling on the Cowboys, you chumps!

Posted by: dallasinthedmv | August 13, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Well then, allow me to cordially invite you to go back to where to come from.

The local bamas are the worst.

You all fluff out with your gear the the week leading up to the game; call into the local radio shows talking smack; but if you lose you all go back to hiding underneath your rocks and its crickets chirping on the phone lines.

But I guess that's what we should expect from the fanbase of a sad-sack front-running team that doesn't know how to man up when it counts.

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: destewar | August 13, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I think when Marvin Lewis was here we did some occasional 3-4 stuff, and a bit of 5-2 with LaVar lining up as a DE.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 13, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

thank you you are nice guy and making funn of ppl

Posted by: suliman215 | August 13, 2010 1:38 PM

No problem...already asked and answered...ever hear of google?

Lots open in an hour and a half!!! I won't be there...

Posted by: PlayAction | August 13, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

that was the spread?

Posted by: alex35332 | August 13, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Alex, it must be a typo.

I'm pretty sure they meant to say "dead", not "spread".

It's the only explanation that makes sense, anyhow.

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Beeps, that makes me not want to watch at all. Hey, at least I'll get to watch the CowPattys loose! hehehehehe.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 13, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Alex, it must be a typo.

I'm pretty sure they meant to say "dead", not "spread".

It's the only explanation that makes sense, anyhow.

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

AHH! That makes a lot more sense.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 13, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes a little change can mean a lot. Take ths headline:

New-look Redskins to get first crack at game action on Friday night

Now, here's how that would read in dallas

New-look cowboys to get first crack on Friday night

See how that's totally different ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 13, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 13, 2010 1:57 PM

Everything's retro, everything's under wraps for now. They're even going to play with the Cerrato roster. Not all bad -- it was a Super Bowl roster.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 13, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Obviously you didn't read the disclaimer. I told you not to get all emotional and get your feelings hurt. But it's obvious that I struck a nerve.

I don't give a damn what you say, if his name was 'Liam Schmidt' I highly doubt you would've associated him with smoking weed. If it was just some random jokey-joke, then why weed? Don't even try and run that dumb sh*t past me. You know damn well you consider DeAngelo Hall to amongst all the other "thugs" and "tattooed freaks" that "plague" sports. You can claim that I'm stirring the race pot all you want, but the sh*t you post sometimes is very telling about who and what you are.

Or what you try to be.

And what's the deal with the "predominantly black" bullsh*t. You either are or you aren't. What's your daddy? Whatever he is, then what you are. What's your complexion? If its dark and your ancestry can be traced back to Africa, then guess what? You are black. Sorry to disappoint you, brown. I bet you're one of those clowns who claims they're 60% of African decent, 30% of European decent, 5% Asain, and 5% Middle Eastern.

There is only one person that I know of who is "Cablasian" and that's becuase he the only one stupid enough to come up with that sh*t. What fancy ethnic background have you conjured up for yourself -- so you don't have to be ashamed of being black.

LOL... classic "house negro" mentality. I bet when your boss calls out sick, you look at it as "we sick boss".

If you hate your skin that much, take pointers from Sammy Sosa on how to feel better about your condition.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 13, 2010 1:24 PM

Who said I hate my skin? I'm black. I'm also Native American. And Asian. And Hispanic. Should I deny those other nationalities because it's easier for you to wrap around your small mind or because you think it's cooler to just be black? I take pride in ALL the nationalities that make up my genetics, not just the one I've been carelessly filed under for other people's convenience.

Personally, I don't give it much thought because I don't have to. I don't come up with cutesy nicknames to shorten it like Tiger or anyone else. I have better things to do than spend my time worrying about being a color.

And that's what makes you the worst kind of black man...the kind that spends time jumping on other black men just because they don't trip off some Tom Joyner bullsh*t and fall in line with what YOU think a black man should be. Just because I have pride in the other dimensions of my background doesn't mean that I have any less pride for being black than you do. Just because I have other interests than hip-hop or basketball or BET doesn't make me any less black. Black is a race, not an attitude or a way of life. The sooner you and other shortsighted black folks get that thru your thick skulls, the better off we'll all be.

So spare me all the "Uncle Tom" and "house n*gga" talk because it only makes YOU look ignorant...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 13, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I'm more interested in watching how many times this new long snapper fawks up.

Posted by: oh_boy1 | August 13, 2010 1:52 PM

Here's to hoping they don't need to punt...kick field goals...and go for two...all season

Posted by: PlayAction | August 13, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes a little change can mean a lot. Take ths headline:

New-look Redskins to get first crack at game action on Friday night

Now, here's how that would read in dallas

New-look cowboys to get first crack on Friday night

See how that's totally different ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 13, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

silly zcezcest, no one in Dallas can read.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 13, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Whose going to the game tonite?

I'll be there.....but don't tell NPI...tryna avoid faggys for the day...

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 13, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: destewar | August 13, 2010 1:53 PM |

Dude, how old are you, 12? You know the 'Skins were only one year separated from a SB appearance against the undefeated 'Fins. They never threw? LOL. Leather helmets? Please. That's when Joey T. had that gayass, Mark Mosley, single-bar facemask.

As far as anything other than a 4-3, I sure can't remember the skins running anything other than that save for nickle, dime and prevent, so yeah, I concur there.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 13, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Whose going to the game tonite?

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 13, 2010 2:03 PM

Gave up my tix...better leave now 4th...summer friday rush...should be fun!

Posted by: PlayAction | August 13, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

We're off and running in the SHANAHAN era. FREE MARKO.

Posted by: glawrence007 | August 13, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Welcome to "Racial Chat", who is next on the line......?

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 13, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Brown and Red,

Just a heads up.

As a pretty standard white guy, I must say that this kind of brother-on-brother blog hatred sort of plays into my people's hands...

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

@ glawrence007

Marko is long gone. He's with the Vikes now after a month long offseason stint with the Lions.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | August 13, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

The game is on NFL Network.

Posted by: TheJury | August 13, 2010 1:53 PM

If you are out of the DC area...It'll be blacked out during the game in DC...

CSN or WRC-TV (Ch. 4)

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 13, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

TEST.

Posted by: saltine182 | August 13, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Big question!!!!

On the radio broadcast -- how will Sam Huff pronounce Kemoeatu?

A. cum on i wanna u?
B. kemosabi
C. kimichonga
D. camo anthill
E. Keesy squeazy

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 13, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Big question!!!!

On the radio broadcast -- how will Sam Huff pronounce Kemoeatu?

A. cum on i wanna u?
B. kemosabi
C. kimichonga
D. camo anthill
E. Keesy squeazy

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 13, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

F. None of the above. He's not going to be able to get past "Maake".

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes a little change can mean a lot. Take ths headline:

New-look Redskins to get first crack at game action on Friday night

Now, here's how that would read in dallas

New-look cowboys to get first crack on Friday night

See how that's totally different ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 13, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Or:

Dallas Cowboys get crack on Friday night.

To which the Dallas fans would immediately be thinking to themselves:

"Hey, did Michael Irvin come out of retirement?"

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Watch out there pfunk...being a white guy with that handle might not jive well with Red since it doesn't fit his cookie-cutter definition of what a white guy should be. Better watch your back...oh, I mean "betta watch yo back"...is that better Red?

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 13, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Big question!!!!

On the radio broadcast -- how will Sam Huff pronounce Kemoeatu?

A. cum on i wanna u?
B. kemosabi
C. kimichonga
D. camo anthill
E. Keesy squeazy

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 13, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

He will pronounce it "wrararrr", and no one will notice since 980's frequency sucks and no one wants to hear Larry Michael talk.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 13, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

On the radio broadcast -- how will Sam Huff pronounce Kemoeatu?

A. cum on i wanna u?
B. kemosabi
C. kimichonga
D. camo anthill
E. Keesy squeazy

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 13, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

F. None of the above. He's not going to be able to get past "Maake".

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 2:26 PM

G. Kemo

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 13, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Big question!!!!

On the radio broadcast -- how will Sam Huff pronounce Kemoeatu?

A. cum on i wanna u?
B. kemosabi
C. kimichonga
D. camo anthill
E. Keesy squeazy

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 13, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

F. None of the above. He's not going to be able to get past "Maake".

Posted by: p1funk

almost added a choice: F. Obama -- but I know people would have read that one wrong!!

My best guess is 'all of the above'

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 13, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

kum-bya anyone....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 13, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Oh man. I step away to get some work done and things go crazy.

Santana says the 3-4 is tough.
We have a new look Redskins team.
And there was a house negro reference.

Awesome!

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 13, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

On the radio broadcast -- how will Sam Huff pronounce Kemoeatu?

A. cum on i wanna u?
B. kemosabi
C. kimichonga
D. camo anthill
E. Keesy squeazy

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 13, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

F. None of the above. He's not going to be able to get past "Maake".

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 2:26 PM

G. Kemo

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 13, 2010 2:30 PM |

H. Chemo-therapy

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 13, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 13, 2010 2:04 PM

Someone refresh my memory...did Marty run the 3-4 in his one-and-done of '01? Or was he literally the ONLY coach during the last decade that actually catered his scheme to his personel?

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 13, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 13, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Appreciate the notice, brown, but don't worry about me.

My people are well-versed in managing the vitriol of the minority ranks.

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if I'm a house cracker, or an Uncle Herb?

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 13, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

WOW the Spread offense???

J.Reid thinks he is still covering the Pac-10. What the F about our offense resembled a spread O. Just cause you run far to many sweep runs and screen passes does not make you a spread offense. Yall are right that had to be a typo...dread offense

Posted by: Stu27 | August 13, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

On the radio broadcast -- how will Sam Huff pronounce Kemoeatu?

A. cum on i wanna u?
B. kemosabi
C. kimichonga
D. camo anthill
E. Keesy squeazy

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 13, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

F. None of the above. He's not going to be able to get past "Maake".

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 2:26 PM

G. Kemo

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 13, 2010 2:30 PM

H. Big Number 96

Posted by: PlayAction | August 13, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Huff will choke on his name for a while and then say, "Awwww, F*CK IT, the big, bad, bald, black dude in the middle."

Followed by Sonny's, "Yeah, that narrows it down."

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 13, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

kum-bya anyone....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 13, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Is that directed toward Red/Brown, or an entry into zcezcest's multiple choice post for Keomatu's last name?

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 2:36 PM |

Wow.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 13, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Followed by Sonny's, "Yeah, that narrows it down."

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 13, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse
Um he's not black.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 13, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

"Just because I have pride in the other dimensions of my background doesn't mean that I have any less pride for being black than you do. Just because I have other interests than hip-hop or basketball or BET doesn't make me any less black." Blackmon26

brown, peace be onto you, brother... No, my bad. You have no issues at all with being black. I know this from the stereotypical examples you listed. Who said that you have to listen to hip-hop, watch BET or play basketball to quantify your heritage?

What I'm saying is when you choose to put down controversial black athletes you do it in a way that most white people do. Your punchlines are the exact ones they'll use:

Drugs
Frivolous spending
Laziness
Absentee Father
Inarticulate

You're gonna tell me that if it were someone other than a black athlete you would've "joked" about him smoking weed. Really, who the fu_k you think you're trying to play here? For real, you can get on your soap box and pop off all your ethnic backgrounds and accuse me of overplaying the race card and it still doesn't mask the fact that you are ashamed of being just black. I have white people in my family. Not far down the line either, but I don't see the point in saying that I'm half this and half that. No shame in being who and what I am. You can't say that. Was it from growing up and having people shun you out because of your black characteristics?

But go ahead and continue living in your Cablasian world and pretend that black men like me are the worse type of black men because we call out chicken peck uncle Tom LIKE YOU.

Good thing your last name is Brownwood instead of Blackmon. Otherwise you would've killed yourself a long time ago when all the preppy white kids called you "the black boy".

Posted by: RedDMV | August 13, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Followed by Sonny's, "Yeah, that narrows it down."

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 13, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Um he's not black.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 13, 2010 2:43 PM

That kinda makes it funny

Posted by: PlayAction | August 13, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Followed by Sonny's, "Yeah, that narrows it down."

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 13, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Um he's not black.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 13, 2010 2:43 PM

That kinda makes it funny

Posted by: PlayAction | August 13, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

And believable.

I'm pretty sure that Sam Huff thinks a "Samoan" is a just a Girl Scout cookie.

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Followed by Sonny's, "Yeah, that narrows it down."

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 13, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse
Um he's not black.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 13, 2010 2:43 PM |

Whatever, I know he is Hawaiian. The joke was about Huff you hair splitting fag.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 13, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

In the immortal words of Steve "Shiny Pants" Spurrier.....

"Thank ya men."

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 13, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Don't want to change the positive tone of this pumped-up pre game thread for tonight, but found this narrative on ESPN's recap of DAL-OAK last night.

"Oakland's new starting quarterback Jason Campbell never came close to scoring on his four drives. Then again, he was facing a defense that came out with regular-season intensity, with linebackers Bradie James and Keith Brooking treating Campbell as if he was still with the rival Redskins.
Campbell converted only one third down out of six. He was sacked once and didn't have a turnover. He also indoctrinated himself as a Raiders QB by throwing deep twice, once down each sideline; the first was broken up by a rookie free agent, the other was caught out of bounds."

Sounds all too familiar.

Posted by: bones21 | August 13, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

In the immortal words of Steve "Shiny Pants" Spurrier.....

"Thank ya men."

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 13, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

My favorite Spurrier quote:

"It worked purdy good in Osaka."

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gussneck | August 13, 2010 1:15 PM

Believe that. Because if McNabb goes down--in a pre-season game, no less--there's going to be consequences and repercussions.

Sadly, if he JasonTaylor's on us, that would be par for the course.

Posted by: Alan4 | August 13, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

p1, Red/Brown.....

just trying to make peace....its a beautiful sunny day out, 1st preseason game is tonight, vinny's gone, the head coach is competent, the GM is competent...what is there to fight about...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 13, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Or what you try to be.

Posted by: RedDMV

Red is a very interesting person.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 13, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Why include other people? This is an exchange between two men: A black men and an "other" man. You not only ashamed of being black, you're a fag pussy as well. Straight pu**y move to include other people. What's the matter, can't handle yours like a blac.... Well, how about just as a man?

Hey brown, you prep boy club wanna be piece of sh*t, does it hurt you so bad to use "hood speak", ebonics, or to "talk ghetto".

And way to keep pimping the stereotypes, jackass. Who said that you had to use ebonics to be black?

You're so fu_king pathetic. Even when you try and display that you're above "black men like me" by trying to be cute you do something that completely validates my sentiment regarding your Uncle Tommy style.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 13, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Big question!!!!

On the radio broadcast -- how will Sam Huff pronounce Kemoeatu?

A. cum on i wanna u?
B. kemosabi
C. kimichonga
D. camo anthill
E. Keesy squeazy

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 13, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

F. gimme a tatoo

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 13, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

p1, Red/Brown.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 13, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Fighting? C'mon Bean. You of all people should know that this Red in a good mood.

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure that Sam Huff thinks a "Samoan" is a just a Girl Scout cookie.

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 2:49 PM
-------------------------------------------
that's funny!

Posted by: jcnjcnj | August 13, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Wait now I AM PISSED...weed is only a black thing?!?! Can't something bring us all together?

Since when is weed an insult.? Lively up yourself and all that....or as my white brothers would say "BONG HITS"

Posted by: chrislarry | August 13, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

In the immortal words of Steve "Shiny Pants" Spurrier.....

"Thank ya men."

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 13, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

My favorite Spurrier quote:

"It worked purdy good in Osaka."

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 2:56 PM |

When asked about a player that had just been released, ubeknownst to Spurrier...

"Is he in jail?"

Classic.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 13, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure that Sam Huff thinks a "Samoan" is a just a Girl Scout cookie.

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 2:49 PM
-------------------------------------------
that's funny!

Posted by: jcnjcnj

co-sign

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 13, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

p1, Red/Brown.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 13, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 3:03 PM

Well I'd like for you all to fight a little more...I have another hour to kill before I head home...turn on the game...get drunk...and pass out

Posted by: PlayAction | August 13, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

My favorite Spurrier quote:

"It worked purdy good in Osaka."

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 2:56 PM |

...and my personal favorite...

"Five and eleven.....nat tuuuhhh goood."

or....

"We gonna go out 'der and peeeetch it....see if someone can..... caiitch it."

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 13, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | August 13, 2010 3:10 PM |

What! You have to make fun of Negro Americans now by joking about drinking, lying around and being lazy and then passing out? The damn nerve of you cracker racist!

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 13, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

I actually gave weed up because many of my White friends called an intervention. They were concerned that I was "smoking my life away."

They really saved my life that day.

Thank you, my White friends.

Posted by: Thinker_ | August 13, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Thinker, please tell me you are joking...a weed intervention as a white man I am SMH

Posted by: chrislarry | August 13, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | August 13, 2010 3:10 PM |

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 13, 2010 3:15 PM

Damn...I am funnier than I thought...but I think I may have ruined the joke by insinuating that I work

Posted by: PlayAction | August 13, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

...or as my white brothers would say "BONG HITS"

Should read as:

... or as my wanna be white brothers like Brownwood26 would say "BONG HITS" and "Fu_k Martin Luther King".

Posted by: RedDMV | August 13, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

(* Please note: Since I'm white, this question is being asked with a view toward all of the standard PC caveats typically associated with a white guy attempting to ask questions of this kind. E.g. "I'm not racist". "I have alot of black friends". "I know a bunch of Wu-Tang tracks by heart". Etc, etc.*)

Why did the U.S. Census still have a "Negro" box that you could check to report your race?

Are there any black folks out there that actually checked it?

Why or why not?

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Are there any black folks out there that actually checked it?

Why or why not?

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 3:21 PM

They were discussing this on Howard Stern back during the census...don't remember the details but thought it had something to do with the older generations?

Posted by: PlayAction | August 13, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Are there any black folks out there that actually checked it?

Why or why not?

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 3:21 PM |

I know for a fact that Barry Obama checked "Black" when there was a box or designation for "Bi-Racial" on the form.

Does that help you out homie?

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 13, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 3:21 PM

Why do you no longer practice law, if you ever did?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 13, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I cannot wait until they stop with these dang boxes.

Hispanic of African Descent

Hispanic of Latin Descent

Hispanic of Pacific Island Descent

...

What a crock of mierda.

(For the record, I'm part North Atlantic Islander) Which is why I don't do so well on the firewater.

Posted by: Thinker_ | August 13, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Weed is not a black or white thing. It is a hispanic thing - hence the name "marijuana". Since hispanics fall somewhere between blacks and whites on the racial spectrum, and since both blacks and whites can unite on the issue of having some beef with hispanics, we can all agree that both the black and white races have an equal claim and can find common ground in its abuse.

The logic is rock solid.

That is the final word on the matter.

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Who the hell is Uncle Tom and why does everyone keep talking about him? Did we pick up a WR named Uncle Tom? I don't see his name on the roster anywhere. D*mn I am confused.

Posted by: HokiesSkins | August 13, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

What is it about being black that makes some believe if you're part black then you should only identify yourself black? Honest question.

Posted by: psps23 | August 13, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Thinker_ | August 13, 2010 3:27 PM |

I guess Thinker aint much of a drinker.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 13, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

My favorite Spurrier quote: "I resign".

Posted by: wireman65 | August 13, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 3:21 PM

Why do you no longer practice law, if you ever did?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 13, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

You're familiar with many of my statements up here...how long do you think it would take for me to get in trouble in the courtroom?

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | August 13, 2010 3:29 PM |

I think it has something to do with representin'.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 13, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry

Weed a black thing? Wait...they told me at the country club that it was invented by whitey to keep the black man down. By the way, how do we know Red is black anyway? By his font? I challenge him to take this unfiltered, objective test:

1) How do you like your steak cooked?

2) Do you like mayonnaise?

3) Do you drink Sprite?

4) JLo or Megan Fox?

5) When you see or hear the number "40", do you get thirsty?

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 13, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

"Since hispanics fall somewhere between blacks and whites on the racial spectrum"

Posted by: p1funk

God, I hope you are kidding. There's a "spectrum?"

Is there a Low end and a High end?

Is there a scale like, 'from 1 - 10, 10 being best, and, of course, White'

By the way, WTF is a hispanic? You cannot answer that. It was invented during the Nixon administration. There is no such thing.

It's just a way to say, "possibly white, but different, and no better than a niggro."

There's no racial spectrum. Just a bunch of idiots of all colors, half of whom don't know "WHAT THEY ARE." As if it's really important.

"What are you?"

Lemme answer that for you... I'm a human being and you're a brainwashed, racist moron.

Nice to meet you.

Posted by: Thinker_ | August 13, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Whose going to the game tonite?

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 13, 2010 2:03 PM

Just got a last second invite for a couple of Dream Seats, so I'll make a first half appearance...

Posted by: 4-12 | August 13, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

My favorite Spurrier quote: "I resign".

Posted by: wireman65 | August 13, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Technically not a spoken quote.

He faxed it in from a golf course.

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

It was "I resign...FORE!"

Posted by: SMACK1 | August 13, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

"We don't need no census in da hood. Dats jus dey way of tryin to keep us loss in da system" - 'The Wash'

Pardon me if my ignorant ghetto talk offended any of the the prestigious, self-righteous Lionel Richie type black men out there.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 13, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 3:27 PM

Hispanic is not a "race" so it doesn't fall anywhere on the "racial spectrum." Hispanic is just a term used to lump people from Mexico, Central/South America and the Greater Antilles whose first language is Spanish into a group.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 13, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

The logic is rock solid.

That is the final word on the matter.

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 3:27 PM |

If I remember correctly - and not to burst your bubble - the weed/herb in question was being cultivated 2000 years ago in Indo China. I doubt they spoke Spanish in that region.

Rock solid just became "mud fence". Sorry 'brah.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 13, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Is a man from Egypt, that appears Middle Eastern, who then moves to America...An African American?

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 13, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Thinker_

You are taking this all a little too seriously.

Don't you have a groveling apology to Dan Steinberg that you need to finish working on?

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I like the Redskins

Posted by: PlayAction | August 13, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Let's face it, we're all "mutts". Welcome to America.

However, if you and yours are from some isolated little country or somewhere else where the family tree doesn't branch (for instance, Dallas) then perhaps you can wage a race war. Otherwise, accept the facts and move on.

Or, you can do what the local Dallas fans in DC have done. Move around to mix up your gene pool a bit in order to get that family tree a branchin'.

Posted by: HTTR | August 13, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

They tried to tell my wife to check "Hispanic"

She's Brazilian... Father is Italian, German, and Spanish

Mother is African, Native American, and Portuguese... as far as she knows.

So, they told her to check the "Hispanic" box, because she comes from a "Spanish-speaking country."

Problem is, Brazil is a Portuguese-speaking country.

They didn't have a box for that, which would basically be like "All Of The Above."

But, do you think the fat, lazy, Black chick at the INS office knew that?

Yeah, right.

"What's a Port you geese?"

"Never mind. I'll be Hispanic. If that makes you happy. I don't want to confuse you any further by injecting 'reality' into your fake, constructed categories."

So, I married a spick.

Posted by: Thinker_ | August 13, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Hispanic is an ethnicity, meant to denote a descendant of Hispania (or more simply in the modern world - Spain), but it's not a race.

Posted by: psps23 | August 13, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV

No offense taken, Urkel.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 13, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

RedDMV - Brownwood,
Have a great weekend guys and don't forget there's a football game on tonight.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 13, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 3:31 PM

Well if you're as smart as you pretend to be on RI you shouldn't have a problem with keeping that in check. The legal profession has many people with mouths like yours who manage not to get in trouble in the courtroom. Plus, all law isn't court practice.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 13, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Ive found a way (i think) to get the game for free if you aren't in dmv.I believe you need an account but it's free.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 13, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

First play is play action, deep to Moss.

Bookeet?

Posted by: stevek20147 | August 13, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

so, spain is in europe.

why don't we make that distinction for people of german descent?

like, you're Krautish, right?

Or for the British...

Why arent we calling ourselves British?

Because it's BS. Go ahead, defend it. What do we call Europeans of French descent?

Frankish?

REally? They need a new set of boxes.

BS. It's based on the fact that we started this country under British rule. Talk about a racist beginning.

Stinking Brits with their crooked teeth and bad food.

Posted by: Thinker_ | August 13, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Thinker_ | August 13, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Couldn't she have just checked "other" and written in Portugese?

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | August 13, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

No offense taken, Urkel.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 13, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

lol

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 13, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

This is a legit question. And even though your "survey" is seeping with racial undertones, I'll answer your questions because I don't have sh*t else to do but to wait on 4:00.

1) How do you like your steak cooked?

I don't usually eat steak, but if I do I prefer to have it cooked medium well done.

2) Do you like mayonnaise?

This has been talked about up here before. Yes I like mayo. Put it on a lot of stuff you usually don't.

3) Do you drink Sprite?

Yes. Taste on point with vodka. Prefer it over coke and grape soda, but not orange soda.

4) JLo or Megan Fox?

Neither. But if I had to choose I'd pick J-Lo.

5) When you see or hear the number "40", do you get thirsty?

I haven't drank a 40 since I was 17,18. The beer I drink now (Heineken, Guinness, Corona, Yuengling) aren't available in 40s.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz

Hope that clears things up. You now can come pick me up at 7:30 PM, okay?

Posted by: RedDMV | August 13, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

its the preseason opener and people are doing race stuff? Really?

On a new and glorious day when we get to witness a great new coach, McNabb in burgundy and gold, Sam Huff attempt to say Kemoeatu and the birth of a brand new LT ... you guys are talking race?

dammmmmmn

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 13, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Best Spurrier quote by far had to be when it was hailing out and he asked Tre Johnson, "What the hell is this? We can't go out and practice in this."

I am reminded of Half Baked when Thurgood Jenkins goes to the meeting and is roundly booed for being addicted to marijuana. Bob Saget - "I sucked d!ck for coke, you ever do that for marijuana."

Posted by: ToddStinkston | August 13, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

F_ck you Beantown!What the f_ck do you mean its a sunny day?You got something against rainy days?F_ck you,you weather racist muthaf_cka!!!

Sorry Bean,just doing my Red impression.How was it?Does it need a little work?

Posted by: smittdiddy | August 13, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | August 13, 2010 3:29 PM
--------------------------------------
You can attribute that to White people..the ones that want to be pure..the master race motherfcukers...the slave owner who didn't want to acknowledge his children he fathered while raping the slave women...and it goes on and on...but mostly because Black is so dominant that it takes over everything it touches

Posted by: jcnjcnj | August 13, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

It's all pretty fargin' ridiculous. By the time I had finished explaining our heritage to the CenSloot, it was staring me in the face:

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 13, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | August 13, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

I didnt realize they switched this over to a Black Panthers Blog.

Fight the White Man Red!!!

You sound like an old Klan member with your "one drop rule".

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | August 13, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 13, 2010 3:36 PM
--------------------------------
He's Eqyptian...you have to be born here or raised here to be African American

Posted by: jcnjcnj | August 13, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

No offense taken, Urkel.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 13, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

lol

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 13, 2010 3:47 PM |

I always thought Urkel was really Tracy McGrady in disguise.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 13, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

smitty, that was spot on......

red, whats with the lack of steak?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 13, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

"Or for the British...

Why arent we calling ourselves British?

Posted by: Thinker_ | August 13, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse"

Uh, there is a term for it. It's called "Anglo." As in Anglo-Saxon, Anglo-American, etc.

Hispanic is an ethnicity which means it denotes a common cultural significance, most notably language. There are other cultural similarities, such as a heavy basis on Christian (more specifically Catholic) values, even if not all are acting Christians or Catholics.

These terms are nothing more than a way for a group of people sharing common cultural aspects to identify themselves. There's nothing racist about it.

Posted by: psps23 | August 13, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

gator, stay out of sh*t that doesn't concern you.

Way to post only the last part of what I had to say. Have you been following this exchange since this morning? Why don't you shut the fu_k up about sh*t you haven't a fu_king clue about?

Stick to blowing Tim Tebow and doing the gator chop, you fu_king idiot.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 13, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Honestly if you are going to have your steak medium well, order the chicken. Unless you are my wife who loves well done steak then I say "However you like it honey".......

Posted by: chrislarry | August 13, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

"The Redskins ran a spread offense the past two seasons under then-coach Jim Zorn,..."

'Spread offense'?

It looked more like a run down your leg, leave a wet puddle on the floor offense.

Some folk wanted to call it a '3 yards and a cloud of Medium' offense.

The redskin team scored less than a eunuch at the Playboy Mansion during Zorn's time.

Soccer fans complained about how low scoring the redskin offense was.

TV ratings for the sport of Curling went up all over the DMV during redskin home games, the offense was so bad.

Glenn Beck devoted a show where he laid out the theory that the skins were racist as they refused to put the brown football in the white end zone.

Spread offense my azz.

We want touchdowns, Kyle Shanahan.

When do we want them?

Now!!!

Posted by: gimmesummoe | August 13, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Hate to see JC in that S.B. Wish shanny would have gave JC a chance. He just threw a 40 yard bomb. "via" NFL net

Posted by: skinsinsider | August 13, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

when was the last time the Redskins ran something other than the 4-3. In a 1972 playoff game with the packers George Allen had the Skins in a 5-2 because of Green Bay's rushing attack.

Posted by: rmcpks73 | August 13, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rmcpks73 | August 13, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

4) JLo or Megan Fox?

Gotta a betta selection:

Megan Good or Stacey Dash?

Posted by: gimmesummoe | August 13, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

"What the SJK does it matter WHERE you come from?! - you're a citizen or not. That's it. I'm so sick of the freckin' entitlement in this place. Get rid of all of it.

Posted by: DikShuttle"

I take it neither you nor your parents are immigrants?

I for one take pride in the culture in which I was raised in my household. That's the beauty of being American. It is, by the nature of this country, a place where your citizenship doesn't define you.

Posted by: psps23 | August 13, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rmcpks73 | August 13, 2010 4:09 PM
---------------------------------------
very good..now can you answer this?

who was that 5th d-lineman...if you don't know the answer i'll provide it

Posted by: jcnjcnj | August 13, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

I root for the players which also means I'm rooting against those who degrade the players, so take deez

Posted by: pabrian2003 | August 13, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Skins pioneered the 4-3 when NT chuck drazenovich stood up and backed off the line, no?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | August 13, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Drugs
Frivolous spending
Laziness
Absentee Father
Inarticulate

Posted by: RedDMV | August 13, 2010 2:45 PM

Bingo! I'm black! (What should I do now?)

Posted by: beep-beep | August 13, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

First play is play action, deep to Moss.

Bookeet?

Posted by: stevek20147 | August 13, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

First play is a power run to the left on the heals of T. Williams.

Book that.

Posted by: Devo2 | August 13, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

4 players to watch, via Redskins.com

-- CLINTON PORTIS

Running back Clinton Portis returns after missing the last nine games of 2009 due to a concussion.

It’s a new landscape for Portis, who is beginning his ninth NFL season and seventh in Washington. He faces competition for playing time from Larry Johnson, Willie Parker and Ryan Torain.

Has the competition made his better?

Head coach Mike Shanahan thinks so.

“I’ve been very impressed with how Clinton has handled himself,” Shanahan said. “He was in excellent shape coming into camp. He’s very natural at running the ball. He picks things up very quickly. He’s football smart. And he’s physical.”

Portis is down to 218 pounds and it’s expected that the Redskins’ new zone blocking scheme will allow him to use his speed more.

“I do feel like I’m in better shape,” he said on the first day of training camp. “Coming in and having the opportunity to be here all offseason, having the opportunity to recover, I feel great.”
-- ANTHONY ARMSTRONG, WR

Through the offseason and into training camp, wide receiver Anthony Armstrong has been a surprising standout.

At one point during mini-camp, he was working with the first-team offense due to injuries to other receivers.

Can it translate to games? That’s the question facing Armstrong, 5-11 and 185 pounds, this preseason.

“He has done a great job,” Mike Shanahan said. “He is making plays, especially for a person who has not made a lot of plays in the NFL. He has been into camp and he has been impressive.

“His consistency is something that he has to work on, but as you can see he has big play ability and hopefully he can keep on getting better.”

Armstrong, a first-year player, is competing with Joey Galloway, Bobby Wade, Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly and a host of other receivers for a roster spot.

-- CARLOS ROGERS

Perhaps no other player has benefited from the Redskins’ new defense than Carlos Rogers.

He finds himself with a lot of responsibility. He could do everything from covering the No. 1 receiver to working in the slot.

That’s how much coaches think of Rogers’ skills, despite his struggles with double-moves last year.

“Carlos worked extremely hard in the offseason to pick up our defense,” Mike Shanahan said, “both at the cornerback position and in the inside position in our nickel defense. He is strong and physical and can match up against anybody.”

Rogers, regarded as a tough, sound tackler, may be asked to blitz from the cornerback position. That’s something that coaches have not asked him to do in years past.

“He’s a tough individual and I think he could be a great blitzer,” defensive coordinator Jim Haslett said.

Posted by: psps23 | August 13, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

continued...

-- KAREEM MOORE

One of training camp’s closely watched position battles appears settled.

Kareem Moore, a third-year free safety, has taken the bulk of reps with the first-team defense ahead of Reed Doughty.

He has been a standout in camp, posting several interceptions and finding a way to be involved in every play.

“Kareem’s a ball magnet,” Jim Haslett said. “He’s a good tackler and he’s always around the ball. That’s the kind of guy you like in the back end – guys that can make interceptions.”

Moore, the only true free safety on the roster, could play a big role on the Redskins’ defense in 2010.

“I’m more comfortable," he said. "Going out there, being confident making calls, whether it’s to the secondary or the linebackers – I’m just playing to my capabilities."

Posted by: psps23 | August 13, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

"First play is play action, deep to Moss."

For play action to work, the running game has to have been fairly good.

So I'd expect a mix of run-run-pass that morphs into run-pass-pass.

Then, pass-pass-run.

Tonite, I'd feature L Johnson behind the 1st team o-line, then Torain/Parker to end things.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | August 13, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

"Soccer fans complained about how low scoring the redskin offense was."

- Awesome!

Posted by: edvar | August 13, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Video footage of Red v. Brownwood & P1

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 13, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

beep-beep

"Bingo! I'm black! (What should I do now?)"

If you're black like me, then you'll probably spent the rest of the weekend at Staples shoplifting school supplies.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | August 13, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

-- CARLOS ROGERS

Thank you psps. Like I've been saying - best corner on the team. Period.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 13, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

learnedhand

That is so funny.

Kevin Hart is the best black comedian in America right now....that is, until MistaMoe gets discover while on his way out of rehab.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | August 13, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

The offense isn't gonna have a lot of pizazz tonight, but seeing if they can run the ball and get receivers open will be key. The line will improve throughout the season and we will have a lot of different looks and plays to look forward to later, but if we can't run the ball and can't get people open on hooks and slants it indicates a more serious problem.

Not expecting to see a dominant offense, but we need to see a fundamentally capable one.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 13, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Kevin Hart is on another level right now. His latest DVD is hilarious.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 13, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

"who was that 5th d-lineman...if you don't know the answer i'll provide it"

Manny Sistrunk, brother of Oakland Raiders DT and distinguished University of Mars alumnus Otis Sistrunk. The "University of Mars" thing was based on a statement on Monday Night Football by Alex Karras that that was where Otis graduated from.

Posted by: rufus_t_firefly | August 13, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

"Soccer fans complained about how low scoring the redskin offense was."

- Awesome!

Posted by: edvar | August 13, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

It's also just true.

I'm a huge soccer fan and complain constantly about the Skins being low-scoring.

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

-- CARLOS ROGERS

Thank you psps. Like I've been saying - best corner on the team. Period.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 13, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Oh goodness, lh.

Do you really want to go there again?

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Fight the White Man Red!!!

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | August 13, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

You can fight, but you can't win.

Unless you are Chinese.

In 10 years the lingua franca of the world will be Chinese, and if they decide to call in all of the white man's debt, we're in serious serious trouble.

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

"Bingo! I'm black! (What should I do now?)"

Posted by: gimmesummoe | August 13, 2010 4:56 PM

Don't the kids steal their own? They lazy? Kids today got no initiative.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 13, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Drugs
Frivolous spending
Laziness
Absentee Father
Inarticulate

Posted by: RedDMV | August 13, 2010 2:45 PM

????

Drugs - Natty Light or Keystone
Frivolous Spending - BMW at 16 years old
Laziness - play video games all day and have tutors do the homework
Absentee Father - works 100 hour weeks as a lawyer, spends rest of free time on golf course
Inarticulate - Never learned what this word means...tutor does the homework

...sounds like many of the privileged white suburban kids I grew up around.

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 5:10 PM

There's nowhere to go. The coaches apparently share my POV. Coaches opinion > RI guys who think Los sucks.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 13, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 5:12 PM

No, they're in serious trouble. We declare bankruptcy and they can't even repossess the car.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 13, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 13, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Really?

Looking for the coach's quote that says "Los is the best corner on the team. Period."

Can't find it.

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

jason campbell 7-13 49 yrds sounds about right

Posted by: coparker5 | August 13, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | August 13, 2010 2:45 PM

Bottom line Red: YOU are the one who drew a line between weed and a black man. I said nothing whatsoever of Hall's race when I made that joke, and whether you believe it or not, there wasn't one implied either. Despite countless examples of weed being the vice of choice amongst multiple nationalities, YOU are the one who thought that weed just had to be a black reference. So that's YOUR issue, not mine.

And how am I "ashamed of being just black" if I'm not just black? Either your reading comprehension skills need work (and no, that's not a black reference...many other races of people have reading problems too) or you simply can't wrap your head around embracing being more than nationality. I know here in the U.S. of A, society wants us mixed kids to have to choose but in the real world I assure you...we don't. I'm happy and proud to be who I am and I've never been anything else. Projecting your own inadequacies or racial issues onto me doesn't change that.

So play on playa...HTTR and Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing!

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 13, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 5:12 PM

Posted by: beep-beep | August 13, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

I know...the debt thing is sort of overrated b/c the $$ these days is imaginary, so the joke is kind of on them.

What's not imaginary are our stealth bombers and nuclear submarines...so...

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

p1, you're the king of taking what others say and twisting it into something they didn't say. No coach said it explicitly (and I didn't say any coach said it) but its implicit in their actions if they intend to use him the manner described above.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 13, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Video footage of Red v. Brownwood & P1

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 13, 2010 4:54 PM

LOL..."Aim high Willis! Aim high!"

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 13, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 13, 2010 5:34 PM

And what coach, in his right mind, would say it about a guy in his contract year? Barry Switzer? Mike Ditka?

Posted by: beep-beep | August 13, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | August 13, 2010 5:44 PM

What's your point? If you're going to chime in please stay on topic.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 13, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 13, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

So let's see.

The coaches say that Los has worked hard, that he's physical and that he could be a great blitzer.

Your interpretation is that they are "implicitly" indicating that Los is the best corner on the team. Period.

...and I'M the one twisting around what others have said???

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Just no injuries tonight please.

Posted by: skinswest | August 13, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

What's your point? If you're going to chime in please stay on topic.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 13, 2010 5:47 PM

I guess I went too fast for you, lh. Sorry.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 13, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Video footage of Red v. Brownwood & P1

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 13, 2010 4:54 PM

Didn't know I was on the fight card.

I was sort of trying to don the role of the rich white fat cat sitting ringside for this one...

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2010 5:50 PM

Yeah. That's all they said.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 13, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

black is EXISTENCE as are the uni-verses it is MORE than a color the ORIGINAL so-called native american's(certainly NOT any real name of these lands just something some so-called whites made up in their conquests)are/were so-called black. so-called blacks are the OLDEST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD. light is temporary BLACK is ETERNAL, these other so-called races KNOW this but have dumbed down the so-called negro with so-called education, religion,entertainment,sports and other LIES to keep you ASLEEP of your own knowledge and the nature of nature and REAL ORIGINS..your time is up.........

Posted by: wathu19 | August 13, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

I'm white and smoke weed, am I a racist???

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | August 13, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm white and smoke weed, am I a racist???

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | August 13, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse