Orakpo focuses on helping defense improve in turnover department

Although the Redskins are expected to switch from a 4-3 defensive front to a 3-4, the coaching staff has not officially announced the change, so linebacker/defensive end Brian Orakpo recently declined to speculate on a potential switch.

But Orakpo was eager to discuss another major topic concerning the defense: turnovers. The Redskins again had a top-10 unit (they ranked 10th in yards per game) last season but produced only 17 turnovers with 11 interceptions and six fumble recoveries. In terms of turnover differential, the Redskins ranked 28th in the league at minus-11.

The Cleveland Browns, St. Louis Rams, Oakland Raiders and Detroit Lions were the only teams that had worse differentials. Apparently, that's unacceptable to Coach Mike Shanahan and defensive coordinator Jim Haslett, which is why the defense is expected to undergo a makeover.

"Coach Haslett and [linebackers coach] Lou [Spanos] were making fun of me, saying, 'You got 11 sacks and one turnover.' That's not a good ratio," Orakpo said. "We got to work on hand placement, getting the hands on the ball, being more active, just getting the ball out of these quarterbacks hands instead of just getting a tackle for a loss or a regular sack."

Orakpo studies many players in hopes of producing more turnovers, he said.

"I'm looking at everybody," Orakpo said. "I look at Dwight Freeney, I look at James Harrison, a lot of guys who are really ballhawks and really know how to get the ball out of the quarterbacks' hands and create those big plays.

"I'm a guy that likes to make secure tackles, so I got to work on being a little more relentless as far as being a ball hawk and getting the ball out. I know me and Andre [Carter] talked about it and we plan on really improving this season."

By Jason Reid  |  March 26, 2010; 7:13 AM ET
Categories:  3-4 defense , Brian Orakpo , Jason Reid , Jim Haslett
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Santana Moss predicts Clinton Portis will be motivated
Next: Santana Moss likes what he sees in how Kyle Shanahan used Andre Johnson

Comments

I like this focus. On sacks, especially from the blind side, some players are able to time their attack to when the QB is making the ball available, ie, when cocking it to throw. A slap at the moment is just about a sure fumble, or a deflected pass that is much more readily picked. It's good to see that getting emphasized.

Posted by: frediefritz | March 26, 2010 7:32 AM | Report abuse

Good morning! First!

Posted by: gixxer998 | March 26, 2010 7:32 AM | Report abuse

Never mind...

Posted by: gixxer998 | March 26, 2010 7:34 AM | Report abuse

CHUCKS!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: djrogyrog | March 26, 2010 7:37 AM | Report abuse

"...some players are able to time their attack to when the QB is making the ball available, ie, when cocking it to throw. A slap at the moment is just about a sure fumble, or a deflected pass that is much more readily picked."

Known among aficionados as "Tim Tebow Disease"

Posted by: Samson151 | March 26, 2010 7:39 AM | Report abuse

Boy Tim Tebow lives rent free in a lot of peoples heads. There sure is a loy of dislike for that young man. Pretty sad.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 26, 2010 7:41 AM | Report abuse

I agree not sure why so many bash Tebow. No I don't want Skins to draft him until 3rd round which we don't have but the kid is not a monster. I just think the Gators offense don't teach the QB to manage a pro form offense, almost gimicky and gimicky doesn't last in NFL. He has heart and desire that I do like

Posted by: cube757 | March 26, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cube757 | March 26, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

I'm not for drafting Tebow either buy I sure wouldn't start a lynch mob for Shanny if they drafted him either.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 26, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

I don't see why hating Tebow is any worse than hating Romo or CP or anyone else in football. Right or wrong, dude just rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

I don't mind him overall, I just don't buy the hype.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 26, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

I don't mind him overall, I just don't buy the hype.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 26, 2010 8:07 AM

Well, the one obvious difference is that Tebow has never played a down in the NFL. The other is that CP is an arrogant, slack a$$ a lot of the time. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, but he's a jacka$$. Romo is a Cowpuke so that goes without saying. People act like Tebow is the next Satan and they've never even met the guy. He's never had anything bad to say about anyone and comes across as an honest, hardworking kid. It seems to me that people are projecting their own insecurities onto him. Just sayin' is all.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 26, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

First, draft Okung, A.Davis or T.Williams. Second draft another OLine monster. Some that might be available C.Brown, K. Calloway, Mike Ivapati, C.iron Black. NOW HEAR THIS! This year offers a very deep field of quality OLine talent. Our OLine sucks big time and needs a fis NOW! I am fine with OLine picks with our first three. The remainder of the team is competitive and serviceable. Stack the OLine and worry about the rest until next year. I also would be happy with Maurice Pouncy. ARE WE CLEAR? No Bradford, No Tebow, No Claussen. OLine-OLine-OLine

Posted by: changer2 | March 26, 2010 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: changer2 | March 26, 2010 8:14 AM |

What a great and original idea! Oh wait...well, at least great.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 26, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

I don't mind him overall, I just don't buy the hype.

Posted by: brownwood26

Totally agree with that. He is over hype and won't be jack sht as QB in the NFL. Don't have a problem with him as a person but he has bust written all over him.

Posted by: jm220 | March 26, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

I don't mind him overall, I just don't buy the hype.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 26, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse
--------------------------------

Did you just link CP and Romo in the same sentence on a blog dedicated to Redskins? *reaching for pitchfork*

Posted by: mattsoundworld | March 26, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Those of us who don't like him is because every other word out of his mouth is about god. It's cool to believe however you want but expand your vocabulary. I'm not a big fan of anyone who uses their celebrity to spread "the word."

Posted by: AnthonyMix | March 26, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

I'm not a big fan of anyone who uses their celebrity to spread "the word."

Joe Gibbs ring a bell?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 26, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

No comment.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 26, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

I have been nicknaming no98 as KpO (as KO signifys a knockout punch). But after reading this, about how he is studying to better his skills, I may want to change my nickname for Brian to OrakPRO

Posted by: alex35332 | March 26, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

I'm not a big fan of anyone who uses their celebrity to spread "the word."

Posted by: AnthonyMix | March 26, 2010 8:25 AM

You probably wouldn't have liked prophets like Moses, Jesus, Mohammed. They spent a lot of time spreading the word. Of course, none of them would have gone in the first two days of the NFL draft, either, although they might have made good coaches since they had pretty clear playbooks.

Posted by: League-Source | March 26, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

One could suggest that by asking NFL prospects to bow their heads in prayer before taking the Wonderlic test is an example of arrogance on Tebow's part.

But I guess we better overlook that because, you know, Tebow's a "honest, hard-working kid".

Posted by: RedDMV | March 26, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | March 26, 2010 8:21 AM

Hey, both contributed to Redskin losses last year...

Boom. Roasted.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 26, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

League-Source

LMAO!!! Ok now going to say pray and ask forgiviness for laughing at your joke.

Posted by: jm220 | March 26, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

For all of the Tebow bashers.. would you rather have Clausen at 4 or Tebow at 37?

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | March 26, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Jim, you're 6'11 and you weigh 90 pounds, Gumby has a better body than you. Boom. Roasted. Dwight, you're a kiss ass. Boom. Roasted. Pam, you failed art school. Boom. Roasted. Meredith, you've slept with so many guys you're starting to look like one. Boom. Roasted. Kevin, I can't decide between a fat joke and a dumb joke. Boom. Roasted. Creed, you're teeth called, your breath stinks. Boom. Roasted. Angela where's Angela? [Angela raises her hand] Whoa there you are, I didn't see you there behind that grain of rice. Boom. Roasted. Stanley, you crush your wife during sex and your heart sucks. Boom. Roasted

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 26, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsfanintampa

What happen to neither one of them? That's what my vote would be for.

Posted by: jm220 | March 26, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | March 26, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

I dunno if thats true, most of what you said you got as second hand info from people who were born 100s of years after those guys existed. For all we really know Moses and Jesus could have just been trying to get some play action if you know what I mean. Men have said and done crazier stuff for a cheer leader.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 26, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Boom. Roasted.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 26, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse
------------------------

Comon. Really? Comparing Portis to a Cowboy because he's not performing? I guess Gibbs was just Wade Phillips during his losing seasons, then?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | March 26, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

LOL Greg...love that show. Did you see last night?

"I'm date Mike. Nice to meet me."

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 26, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

I guess Gibbs was just Wade Phillips during his losing seasons, then?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | March 26, 2010 8:41 AM

Nope. Gibbs has more than one career playoff win.

Boom. Roasted.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 26, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

I thought that all this Tebow chatter was mute, at least as it relates to the Redskins. The one imperative in this draft is that Jacksonville has to come away from the draft with Tebow. You can sell more Tebow jerseys (and season tickets, which are the things you really like to sell) in Jacksonville than in all the other NFL cities combined. No other team has to have him.

So, either Jacksonville grabs him in the first round, or they have to trade for a pick in the late first or early second round (since they traded their #2 to New England), or whatever team grabs Tebow has to trade him to Jacksonville.

There is no scenario under which he suits up for the Redskins.

Posted by: League-Source | March 26, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Stanly, your fat and your wife can't breath when your having sex.

Boom Roasted!

Posted by: alex35332 | March 26, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

brown, that show is comedy gold. How about Kevin crying at pams chest..check out this site, www.officequotes.net, they've got every line ever said on the show back to the very first episode....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 26, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

I'm not a big fan of anyone who uses their celebrity to spread "the word."

Posted by: AnthonyMix | March 26, 2010 8:25 AM

Posted by: League-Source | March 26, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Jesus would have been drafted by the skins. Imagine the jersey sales.

Posted by: Buckleycj | March 26, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

F'ing Syracuse. That was a completely gutless performance. Way to just give away a game.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 26, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

I though Jesus played catcher for the nationals.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 26, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Andre who?

Carter won't be on the team this year.

Posted by: original_mark | March 26, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

I know Greg, one of the funniest shows on TV. I also watch Community and then Parks and Recreation before it. Parks and Rec is kind of a poor man's version of The Office but Community is simply hilarious, especially when they work Ken Jeong into the show.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 26, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: AnthonyMix | March 26, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

this from a guy with the handle if a pedophyle

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 26, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | March 26, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

yea Red, except Tebow and several other players said that never happened. But you go ahead and believe one of PFT's unnamed "sources" if you like.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 26, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 26, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

brown, switch out community with 30rock, and I'm right there with you. Thursday is a good night on tv...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 26, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Both Community and P&R are getting better now that the actors are getting used to their characterless. That guy Ahmed on Community makes the show, and they are correctly using Chevy which is not easy to do. I think the funny part about Parks and Rec is that Amy Poler may be the worst person on the show. 30 Rock is starting to get real old at this point, I was worried the Office had jumped the shark but this season has been very strong. The Marriage Ref is god awful.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 26, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

this from a guy with the handle if a pedophyle

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 26, 2010 8:54 AM

Tebow's squeaky clean in that regard. He's never contributed to the delinquincy of a minor, or even a major.

Posted by: League-Source | March 26, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Good grief.

I think the "Tebow Debate" is beginning to eclipse the "JC Debate" on the Let's-Run-In-The-Same-Circles-With-Our-Discussion-And-Get-Nowhere Scale.

...and I admit I've been heavily involved in both debates.

Posted by: p1funk | March 26, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Nope. Gibbs has more than one career playoff win.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 26, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse
--------------------------

Not in this century.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | March 26, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | March 26, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

All the more reason not to trust him.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 26, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Community is a great show. Great characters. 30 rock is funny when I catch it. Never got into Parks&Rec but willing to bet its funny too. Missed The Office last night cause I was watching Syracuse choke to death.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 26, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | March 26, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

All the more reason not to trust him.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 26, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse
-----------------------

It's called the Tiger Syndrome

Posted by: mattsoundworld | March 26, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Be straight with me, Oscar. You can be gay with Matt, but be straight with me.

Posted by: p1funk | March 26, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

What happen to neither one of them? That's what my vote would be for.

Posted by: jm220 | March 26, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

I was just looking at the draft propsects yesterday and most places have first round grades on about 38 players. Someone good will fall to us and even then there are a lot of guys with 2nd round grades I'd rather have Vlad Ducasse, Nate Allen, Jahvid Best, Navarro Bowmen, Tony Washington, Mt. Cody, or Maurkice Pouncey.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 26, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Greg, if you like Ken Jeong or the guy from Talk Soup, you'd like Community. I LOL every time. I like 30 Rock, I just had to make an executive decision since I already record a lot of Thursday stuff to the DVR as it is.

Alex, you're right...Amy Poehler is way down the line when you talk about the best characters on P&R. The Indian cat is hilarious and so is the guy that plays Ron Swanson. The black dude on Community is pretty hilarious, it's the combination of him and Ahmed that really drives that show.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 26, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | March 26, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Try again, that story was made up by PFT.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | March 26, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

To me Andy and the intern also makes P&R great.

My problem with 30 rock is that when Alic is not on screen I can't enjoy it.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 26, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Notice he's not talking about PASS COVERAGE.

Is this a good sign that he won't be playing linebacker much? More Cdub? Let's hope so.

Posted by: DikShuttle | March 26, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Moses would have been one of those Lombardi types... walking along the sidelines, his staff in his hand, alternately cursing the Cowboys and his own players. People would say "He's too old! He's over 80!" But he's so effective in practice. And his play book is easy to memorize (but hard to carry; only 10 basic plays and 617 different looks).

Posted by: GABinOdenton | March 26, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: GABinOdenton | March 26, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Now that is some quality Jewish humor...

Posted by: alex35332 | March 26, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | March 26, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Red, since when did you become a proponent of meek and humble football players??

I though you wanted a lockerroom of loud-mouthed arrogant-types.

What's wrong with being gangsta-for-Jesus?...after all, gangsta is gangsta...

Posted by: p1funk | March 26, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Okay, so the PFT story is not true.

Look, I don't feeling waging some goddamn anti-Tebow war against his sack-suckers, but what about the zillion other times he's done things like that in the past?

Hey, bottom line here is this: As long as Tebow has the right to speak from the "good book" and speak out on whatever his beliefs are, I have the right to smash on his ass and play the other side of his argument.

Not everyone believes in god. I guess in you all's small world they do. Those who don't, do not want to hear pushing the "the word" through his blowhole non-stop.

So as long as Tebow can say "blessed" a 1,000 times in an interview, I have the right to say "Fu_k Tebow and your god" a thousand times on this blog.

Get over it. Don't like reading the Tebow bashing, scroll along down the page.

Posted by: RedDMV | March 26, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Moses would have been one of those Lombardi types...

Posted by: GABinOdenton | March 26, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse
---------------------------

Moses was a heckuva coach between the 20's. The father of 'Student Body Left/Right' type plays. Had some problems gettin his people into the Promised Land, tho.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | March 26, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: AnthonyMix | March 26, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

this from a guy with the handle if a pedophyle

Posted by: scampbell1975

scamp..a couple of question...
are you serious about this pedophile comment?
are you talking about the WR that play for the G-men and was with us in the pre-season?
What happen? where? when?

Posted by: jcnjcnj | March 26, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

jcn, yeah, down in FL I believe, Mix got into trouble, not sure of the deets, but he was involved with an under age girl...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 26, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Re: Improving in Turnover Department

The Skins have been saying this same thing every offseason for years. Maybe an actual switch to a 3-4 will help bring that about. Maybe not.

Either way, the key is going to be getting the playmakers on D in positions to actually make plays.

If AH is a nose tackle or playing some other role where his purpose is to "eat space", then I don't see it happening. He's got to be a havoc-wreaking 3-4 DE like Darnell Dockett.

If Landry is a FS, I don't see it happening. He's got to get up around the line of scrimmage and blow-up QBs and backs and punishing route across the middle, instead of watching WRs burn him deep.

If C.Rogers doesn't step up or get replaced, I don't see it happening. When you have a gaping hole in your secondary where there is really no chance that your guy can turn an INT, then don't expect to get any.

Posted by: p1funk | March 26, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

What happen? where? when?

Posted by: jcnjcnj | March 26, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

He banged a 15 year old. Not pedophilia but still illegal.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 26, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

beepity beep

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 26, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 26, 2010 9:30 AM

thanks Greg...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | March 26, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Get over it. Don't like reading the Tebow bashing, scroll along down the page.

Posted by: RedDMV | March 26, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Never said you didn't have the right Red. You can say whatever you want. All I said was that it sure seems like a lot of people got a problem with him and he's living in their head tent free. You're off on dome wild a$$ tangent like someone's trying to tell you what to say.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 26, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

I got serious man-love for Orakpo.

Posted by: shanks1 | March 26, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

a lot of people hate tebow because the media is alway's talking about him like he's a God sent. and they know he's not worth all that hype they give him.I one agree i think he can eventually become a decent player because he has will but he aint right right now so give some other player's that's stud's right now a little more respect.

Posted by: dakel76 | March 26, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

One thing Moses could do, cut a hole up the middle!

It always tickles me, though, how some folks have a problem with someone wishing them peace and goodwill.

Y'all go all out raggin on a guy who basically is clean (wouldn't something have come out under all this scrutiny)?

but scumbag tiger is ok, rite?

Posted by: DikShuttle | March 26, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

tiger dominates a pro sport so he deserves the spolite. aint nobody questioning his integrity he just aint ready to be a top pro football player yet so he don't deserve the hype he recieves.

Posted by: dakel76 | March 26, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

I think yards allowed is a bogus metric to assess overall defensive quality. The Redskins office couldn't move the ball, and the kickoff and punt coverage units regularly gave up big returns, and as a result opposing teams regularly played on short fields. Additionally, the offense's inability to score meant opposing offenses could engage in clock-burning strategies for much of the second half of each game. Assigning an overall defensive grade should be based on some sort of multi-category assessment -- yards per-play, red zone defense, defensive scoring, turnovers, third down efficiency, AND overall yards allowed.

Okay Washington, DC statisticians, the gauntlet has been laid down. Work your magic! I am eager to see if the Redskins still rank in the top 10 after a more complete assessment of defensive quality is performed.

Posted by: tkoho | March 26, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse