Peyton Manning is not taking the Redskins' defense lightly

Obviously, the Redskins still have major issues defensively as they continue their transition to a base 3-4 front.

Washington is last in the league, giving up an average of 410.2 yards per game. And the Redskins rank 30th out of 32 teams against the pass. Teams are averaging 298 yards against coordinator Jim Haslett's group.

But it's not all bad for the Redskins' defense. The unit has performed well in some statistical categories, including the most important: points.

Opponents average 18.4 points against Washington -- the NFL's ninth-lowest total. Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning has noticed.

The Redskins play host to the Colts on Sunday night at FedEx Field, and Manning expects to face a formidable challenge.

"I'm pretty sure any coach would tell you that points are all that matters," Manning said this week in a conference call with reporters who cover the Redskins. "It's the same thing on the offensive side.

"If you're moving the ball and have a ton of yards, but not scoring touchdowns in the red zone, it doesn't really matter. So, that's the bottom line. They're not giving up points, keeping teams out of the end zone, holding some good offenses, too. They held Green Bay and held Philadelphia to 12. That's good defense."

Strong safety LaRon Landry is playing a major role for Washington, Manning said.

"He's very active. He's a tremendous athlete with great size and speed," he said. "You can just tell that he's got excellent instincts just moving.

"You see him on one side of the field, and then all of a sudden you see the play kind of go to the other side, and all of a sudden you see him show up on film making a big hit or recovered a fumble or whatever it may be. His athletic ability just allows him to do certain things which are pretty unique."

By Jason Reid  | October 15, 2010; 9:15 AM ET
Categories:  3-4 defense, LaRon Landry
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Anthony Armstrong is earning a bigger role
Next: Lorenzo Alexander 'very comfortable' with role in 3-4 defense

Comments

Peyton is scared...I'm thinking he remembers last game against the skins when he nearly got ripped in two.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 15, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Here's hoping this is true...and that it manifests itself on Sunday night:

Ron Jaworski: Father time might be catching up with Peyton Manning
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 15, 2010 8:50 AM ET
Former NFL quarterback Ron Jaworski watches a lot of game film in his capacity as an analyst for Monday Night Football and NFL Matchup, and he says he's noticed something interesting in watching the Colts this season: Peyton Manning might be getting old.

"The last couple weeks, as I've studied Peyton Manning, he has not been real sharp," Jaworski said today on Mike and Mike in the Morning. "Maybe there does come a time when the skills start to diminish a little bit."

Jaworski isn't saying Manning is washed up by any stretch of the imagination, but he is saying he's noticing throws that the 34-year-old Manning isn't making, and they're throws he used to make.

"I'm not saying it is, but I'm seeing little signs now that the deep sideline throws are not as accurate as they used to be, there's not the zip on the ball that there used to be," Jaworski said. "Maybe father time might be catching up with Peyton Manning a little bit."

Statistically, Manning looks like he's as good as ever, having completed 67.6 percent of his passes for 1,609 yards this season, with 11 touchdowns and two interceptions. But Jaworski looks at more than just the statistics and wonders if Manning might be past his prime.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 15, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

So, he isnt scared of Orakpo?! That son of a b!tch. GET HIM

Posted by: pgugino | October 15, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Trust me...I don't.

I just think they're a more realistic template for what we should aspire to right now...Hess and others keep hating on FA, but they got a SB by getting Rod Woodson, Trent Dilfer, Shannon Sharpe, and Sam Adams in FA. Even though they had homegrown guys like Jamal Lewis, Ray Lewis, and Jonathan Ogden, a lot of their key players they got in FA. So building a champion with a big assist from FA isn't unheard of.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 15, 2010 9:18 AM

Yep...it doesn't seem like they make too many bad moves/picks either...which helps.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 15, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Pick up a couple of gems in FA and we should be ok, we aren't that far away from being a contender!

I hear Cerrato's voice when I read these comments

Posted by: hessone | October 15, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Manning carries himself very well and says all of the right things. That said, I am certain he realizes this game is no gimme and pretty much amust win for both teams.

And he watched what happened to the last few QBs to roll through here and made mental notes to throw the ball away instead of ending up on a stretcher.

I still think Elway was better than him. And I KNOW Unitas was better than Elway.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | October 15, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

ANY move involving giving up draft picks at this point is fatally toxic to the Redskins.

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 15, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Your argument is that we can't do it because it takes too long? It's a circular argument. The reason we don't have "tradeable" assets for draft picks is because the Redskins built the team by signing free agents that are old or get old fast.

A three to five year build plan sounds about right to me. No reason Shanny won't be coaching here in ten years. And there's actually no reason to count on McNabb either being here next year or being a the difference maker if he is. This should be about building a winner for the long haul, year-in, year-out winning, not for a one year flash.

The key to building an enduring winner is not to trade draft picks and to draft wisely. If you want to argue that the Redskins aren't capable of drafting wisely, I'd be more receptive...

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 15, 2010 9:12 AM

Somewhat agree...but that's not the direction that we're going in. If you wanna build for longevity, you get yourself a young coach, let him grow into the job, and hope you get lucky right away on some of your draft picks. We didn't do that. We got a veteran coach with SB pedigree and a veteran Pro-Bowl QB. That says to me we're trying to win now.

So while I agree the best thing to do is build thru the draft, I'm saying that it's not the ONLY way to do it. The Saints just won a title with their best players coming from the FA/trade pool, not the draft. They got lucky on some late round picks/undrafted rookies (Colston, Pierre Thomas, etc.) and got THE RIGHT GUYS in FA. I don't see why we can't do the same thing, especially with McNabb in a wide-open NFC.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 15, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Interesting info from Jaws. I remember a past-prime Marino being pretty damn dangerous, though.

OK - I'm a little behind here. Sorry for posting this so much... but I did all this writing... egh. ego.

If you've already read or ignored this, srry!
__________________________________

YPA
I love it when stats guys try to turn foobaw into baseball; where stats rule. His linked article is very interesting, but I'd still love to see his picks this season vs. mine. I just always seems you're using stats to explain what happened and then stating it was because of the stats. Still interesting, though.

Going 4th it
You do realize there's an MIT paper that explains how it's statistically better to go for it on 4th no matter what. Again, does anyone account for reality?! lol.

Balls Deep
Well, yeah - bring in a competent OC & a top 5 (or so) QB - yeh.. your all-stars will begin to catch passes...

Valuing Matthews
This also happens to be my favorite 90's Central Florida alternative band. But I actually can't argue this. I agree - that was among the biggest events of the game. Now... how much does a Rogers concussion get us?

Holstered Colts
Hey, I love the optimism. And I know you need to go into Indy believing you're going to win to even have a shot. But I believe we're actually going to have to concentrate on the RUN here... I mean, it's not like they don't have game tape of us missing a million tackles...And if they get us concentrating on that exclusively- lookout 4 Peyton!

So, while I may agree or disagree with the contentions... this is probably the best post on RI I've seen this season.

Mucho Culo! Props. Hail to 'em.

Oh & Happy Friday, ThRedsters!

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 15, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

I understand why they don't but it would be just great if the quarterbacks could just say what they really felt instead of all of this "don't give anything away" politico-speak. For once, I'd like ot hear a QB say, "They're kind of spongy up the middle. They have no real NT so we think we can work that to our advantage with some draws and FB leads straight up the gut. They blitz way too often, so we're going to counter that with multiple receivers running short crossing routes, hoping we can catch that poor tackling free safety one on one. We also noticed that they're slow to the edges when Carter is in there, so whenever he is in, we'll run a sweep to his side..."

It would be funny if they could record these guys actually giving up their game plan, and then play it back after the game to see how well they executed. It would be really interesting if both sides did this and you could compare whose strategy actually worked...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 15, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I'm curious to see how Haynesworth plays after the loss of his brother. I think the D rallies around him and they give Manning a fit.

Let's see Brandon Banks take one to the house!

Posted by: iH8dallas | October 15, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

At the end of the day, what wins in the today's NFL is great coaching and great QB play.

c'mon brown, you should know by now what win in today's or yesterday's NFL is quality o-line and d-line play. building both through the draft is not uncommon. also, if you read my post fully, I don't hate FA's. My though is to build a nucleus, o-line and d-line, through the draft, then add the FA's or trade for the positions that round out the roster. IT TAKES TIME TO DO SO and most fans don't want to except that fact. they want to win now and I don't blame them.

Posted by: hessone | October 15, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 15, 2010 9:34 AM
------------------------------------------
You would have died during the George Allen years - even the Bobby Beathard years. Sometimes it is more about how you motivate and what you do with the players you have, than how talented or young the players might be.

Youth > talent

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 15, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

AA is the BOMB!

Posted by: PlayAction | October 15, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

No, he catches the BOMB!
And Poopy drops the BOMB!

Posted by: monk811 | October 15, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

you get yourself a young coach

son in waiting named kyle, build through the draft, I'm with you pepper5

Posted by: hessone | October 15, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

I hear Cerrato's voice when I read these comments

Posted by: hessone | October 15, 2010 9:33 AM

First off Hess, let me say good morning. I hope you had a nice evening and a pleasant nights sleep.

I was wondering why you have changed your posting style, specifically when commenting or responding to another poster. I noticed that you no longer reference the "Posted by" line of the comment that you are referring to. I must tell you this makes it difficult to follow your posts, not knowing if it is your comment, or who's comment it was. I just thought you should know.

Carry on.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 15, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Re: Building the team

So far you've got to hand it to Shanny and BA. They've used whatever assets they have (meager as they are) to put together a team that is immediately competitive in the NFL.

Last offseason, Shanny/BA were able to pull off a number of unexpected moves to improve the roster considerably and utilize the cap-free year to their advantage in re-working the contracts of Hall/AH.

This offseason, though, their task is no less daunting. Their biggest task is going to be deciding who to pay with extensions and who to let walk. Here's a list of Redskins whose contracts expire/void at some point over the next 2 seasons:

Jamaal Brown, Rocky MacIntosh, Carlos Rogers, Donovan McNabb, Adam Carriker, Santana Moss, Kedric Golston, Philip Buchanon, HB Blades, Reed Doughty, Stephon Heyer, Philip Daniels, Vonnie holliday, Rex Grossman, Chris Horton, Anthony Bryant, Maake Keomatu, Malcolm Kelly, Kareem Moore, Chris Wilson.

That's alot of names of guys that are contributing right now, and a couple of big ones - J.Brown, D.Mac, Rocky Mac, C.Rogers - need to get decided on pronto.

Posted by: p1funk | October 15, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

I don't want the Redskins to win one super bowl and then disappear. I want the goal to be building a winner every year. There is nothing wrong with a limited and judicious use of the free agent pool, I just don't want to give up draft picks for the next five years.

I believe Carter and DT could have fetched draft picks this offseason. Instead we lost three draft picks by bringing in Brown and DNB. This suggests to me that we still don't have the right people in charge of personnel. But it's never too late for Allen-Shanny-Snyder to get religion. OK it's too late for Snyder but he may stumble into the truth.

You may be right that Shanny/DMN is all about win-now, aka win-once, but I certainly see another path too. As I said Shanny is "only" 56 and DMN could be a placeholder just as much as the guy brought in to win one SB.

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 15, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Wouldn't it be great if we had an offense that could pluck UFA running backs up and make 1000 yard rushers out of them? Wouldn't it be great if we had a zone blocking scheme that focused more on quick feet and allowed us to find quality players in the lower rounds of the draft or through other teams' castoffs? Wouldn't it be great if we used big blocking tightends and fullbacks that could be found in the later rounds of the draft? Wouldn't it be fantastic if we ran a defensive scheme that only required a first round pick at nose tackle and could get by with lesser round picks everywhere else? Gee. That would mean the team wouldn't need a bunch of draft picks. I wish Shanahan could build a team like that.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 15, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

AA is the BOMB!

Posted by: PlayAction | October 15, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

No, he catches the BOMB!
And Poopy drops the BOMB!

Posted by: monk811 | October 15, 2010 9:43 AM

He's the MACK DADDY.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 15, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

@PlayAction

top of the morning to you also. my bad on the posting and I'll do a better job in the future. I also want you guys to know that I enjoy the forum we have on RI and I don't take things to seriously. most of the comments on the board, whether I agree or not, are taken with all due respect. HTTR !

Posted by: hessone | October 15, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Hess,

"c'mon brown, you should know by now what win in today's or yesterday's NFL is quality o-line and d-line play."

The 2008 Steelers say 'hi'. So do the '09 Saints, for that matter.

"if you read my post fully, I don't hate FA's. My though is to build a nucleus, o-line and d-line, through the draft, then add the FA's or trade for the positions that round out the roster."

I agree that it's important to have a nucleus to build around...the only thing I'm saying is that it doesn't absolutely HAVE to be via the draft. It's the preferred route, but you can't tell me that the Ravens were hurt by having Woodson and Sharpe in that nucleus or that the Saints were somehow impeded because they built around Brees, Sharper, and Vilma instead of a couple stud rookies. I mean, those are their best 3 players and NONE of them was an original draft pick.

The NFC is wide open, especially the East. I don't see why we're debating offseason topics when we have the best chance to win our division in a decade...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 15, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Think maybe you start with one super bowl win and go from there. I don't think we are above this approach.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 15, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Please, Peyton is not scared of our defense. He's simply being a gentleman, something that's incredibly rare in the NFL. I expect 495 yards out of the Colts offense this weekend.

Posted by: tristesse27 | October 15, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

@hess & brown:

It's a floor wax!
It's a desert topping!
It's a floor wax!
It's a desert topping!

HEEY! Relax you two; It's a floor wax AND a desert topping!

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 15, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 15, 2010 9:34 AM
------------------------------------------

Youth > talent

_____________________________________
Allen and Beathard both operated during an era without the salary cap, when it was much easier to stockpile talent for healthy teams like the Redskins. The CBA and the salary cap changed all that. Draft picks have proven to be the most cost effective way to stockpile talent in this era, particularly second round draft picks. But you have to have a real GM, a real plan, and real scouts.

Posted by: daglaw | October 15, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

@hess & brown:

It's a floor wax!
It's a desert topping!
It's a floor wax!
It's a desert topping!

HEEY! Relax you two; It's a floor wax AND a desert topping!

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 15, 2010 9:58 AM

Just keep each others chocolate away from your peanut butter.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 15, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I agree brown, however, I woke up to reading a board full of politics and FA's before I had my first cup of coffee. thanks for setting me straight !

Posted by: hessone | October 15, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Elway was not better than Manning is. For one thing, Elway did not call his own plays. That in itself says a great deal.

Posted by: chopin224 | October 15, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

@DikShuttle

are you sure it's not a dessert wax or a floor topping ?

funny stuff dik

Posted by: hessone | October 15, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | October 15, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse
Those are the guys you need to resign. Probably Moss too. I'd hold onto AH now and dedicate next two years to (i) rebuild the lines through the draft and a couple of RB's and LB's. Then year after next gotta find the QB of the future (gulp!)

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 15, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 15, 2010 9:47 AM

Pep, consider this...the Pats were put together quickly by a former SB coach who wanted to win now AND build for the future. Parcells comes in, gets 'em to a SB in '96 and set the table for their dynasty of the 2000s.

There IS a way to build it up on the fly, get to a SB now, AND set the stage for a dynasty. It's not easy and this group may or may not be the guys for the job. All I'm saying is that the possibility exists and that the key ingredients (Shanahan and McNabb, weak NFC) are already in place.

I mean, if the Falcons and Fins can go from putrid to 11-5 a couple years ago, I don't see why we can't win 9 or 10 games in a weak NFC, regardless of how this thing was built in years past...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 15, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 15, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

It doesn't necessarily have to be a focus, but it's definitely a concern.

We could win the division this year and then see a bunch of key guys who helped us win walk in FA; and it's not like we are stockpiled with promising young talent or draft picks.

And with every lame-Favre performance and package scandal that comes out, I'm sure the McNabb camp is going to be driving up the price of an extension.

With every game where the defense steps up and shuts down a Green Bay, Rogers and Rocky mac are thinking "$$".

That's a concern.

If we are rolling out next season with John Beck as our QB, HB Blades as our starting MLB, and Artis Hicks or Stephon Heyer as out starting RT; I'm sure we'll all feel like the shine of the previous season's NFC East title has dulled.

Posted by: p1funk | October 15, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I expect 495 yards out of the Colts offense this weekend.

Posted by: tristesse27 | October 15, 2010 9:58 AM

And if it only yields 17 points, we probably win.

This D is physical, takes the ball away, and doesn't give up a lot of points. I'll take that over the crap we saw last year...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 15, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

... means win now

Posted by: hessone | October 15, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | October 15, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Sniff, Sniff, it's great sharing your feelings! I love you guys!!

Now back to football!

Posted by: monk811 | October 15, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

And Poopy drops the BOMB!

Posted by: monk811 | October 15, 2010 9:43 AM
--------------------------------
reminds me of Trouble Funk!
--old school Go-GO

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 15, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

... means win now

Posted by: hessone | October 15, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Dude, everyone wants to win now. Everyone needs to win now. If not, coaches get fired and quality FAs don't want to come to your team unless you overpay them - b/c they want to win now.

Posted by: p1funk | October 15, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

unless you overpay them

Posted by: p1funk | October 15, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

My favorite thing to do! I've got the money, why not spend it?

Signed,
Dan "The Hobbit" Snyder

Posted by: monk811 | October 15, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: tristesse27 | October 15, 2010 9:58 AM |

BS, he's scared to death of getting crushed by Orakpo or Landry.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 15, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Peyton is a brilliant QB and he also knows this defense has been laying the wood on people. The last thing he wants to see if Landry coming from one side and Orakpo on the other. And he damn well doesn't want to start running cause he knows full well he will get crushed

Posted by: erthdog | October 15, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

And Poopy drops the BOMB!

Posted by: monk811 | October 15, 2010 9:43 AM
--------------------------------
reminds me of Trouble Funk!
--old school Go-GO

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 15, 2010 10:15 AM

Hey...I was skimming threads from last night and thought I read that Poopy got snuffed by RI? Something bout Barno?

Posted by: PlayAction | October 15, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | October 15, 2010 10:16 AM |

this we all know. winning long term, that's another topic that needs attention.

monk, tuff guy, now back to football

Posted by: hessone | October 15, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | October 15, 2010 10:10 AM

I seriously doubt that happens...if McNabb gets big $, he'll be worth it. Rocky's gone at the end of the year anyway.

We didn't know what we were gonna do at FS this year. Moore looks pretty good. The Cowpies had no idea where their playmaking WR was coming from after TO left...then Miles Austin showed up. Denver wasn't sure if their 3-4 defense was gonna translate last year and Elvis Dumervil ended up with 17 sacks.

Just because we can't see where the 2011 stars will come from right now in 2010, doesn't mean they're not coming. We could get a stud FA nobody heard of. Our 1st and 2nd round picks could be great right away. Let's not worry about 2011 until 2011...that's BA's job anyway...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 15, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

My favorite thing to do! I've got the money, why not spend it?

Signed,
Dan "The Hobbit" Snyder

Posted by: monk811 | October 15, 2010 10:19 AM

Fine, just do it the right way. Spend it to keep our worthy players and when you draft guys. One or 2 good free agents a year is fine but don't jeopardize our cap numbers for over the hump guys.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 15, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Let's not worry about 2011 until 2011...that's BA's job anyway...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 15, 2010 10:24 AM |

I'm sure he's morer qualified than most on the board, least I hope so.

Posted by: hessone | October 15, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

monk, tuff guy, now back to football

Posted by: hessone | October 15, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

HaHa hess, I enjoy the dialog on RI as well!

poke, jab, smack

Posted by: monk811 | October 15, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Can't believe how many people are selling their tickets for SNF on craigslist.

Just picked-up a pair of tickets on 2nd level of the 50yd line for cheap $150 for both.

HTTR!

Posted by: bhoang888 | October 15, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

There are a lot of references today to the "Weak NFC"...why?...just because the pre-season hyped-up team are losing?..they are even saying that the loser of this weekends "panic-button bowl" stills has a chance..Bret Fart this, Tony Homo that..bullsh!t..the skins don't have a chance because the NFC is weak...we have a chance because we're stronger than people want to admit ie:(those ESPN Pricks and WaPo Fcuks)...when someone wins..someone loses..just because the Cowgirls, The Vike-queens, and Putty Packas are not looking strong doesn't mean the NFC is weak!

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 15, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bhoang888 | October 15, 2010 10:36 AM

Nice...2nd level meaning club or uppers? Good thing there's not a ton of colts fans around here to snatch them up.

Oh and can you stop by section 228 and kick a dude in the balls for me...there's 20 bucks in it for ya.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 15, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

There are a lot of references today to the "Weak NFC"...why?...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 15, 2010 10:42 AM

Because the AFC is leading the NFC, 13-9, in inter-conference games.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 15, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Readin' and writin':

Today's Times-Disgust has a REDSKIN's article. of interest to us all here in RI. I quote:

COOLEY concedes hewasn't entirely sure What to expect out of this season. He missed the final nine games of the 2009 season....and didn't know how the new coaching staff would juggle he and DAVIS. "the one unknown for me was: Is FRED DAVIS going to be a better football player that I am?" COOLEY said. "Because he played so well last year. And I would have been happy - I'dbe happy for FRED in whatever he accomplishes - but it was the unknown of: Is there any way I can become a #2 tight end?"

"So I think that drove me a ton. I had to get healthy. I had to be in better shape this year than I was in the previous years, and I had to be ready to play."

Anybody see anything he said in a positive light? I sure did. Let's have more CHRIS COOLEY's on this squad.

Let's lose the attitudes (LARRY JOHNSON), poor performances (BIG AL), and the sleeping on the job people (DT), along with the ones who squeal on them (WHOMEVER it was)...... We don't want any of that negative crap here anymore.

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 15, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Because the AFC is leading the NFC, 13-9, in inter-conference games.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 15, 2010 10:48 AM

That's pretty close don't ya think?

Posted by: PlayAction | October 15, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I think I was using old SNL material to say you're both right.

...I know... when does that ever happen here?

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 15, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

That's pretty close don't ya think?

Posted by: PlayAction | October 15, 2010 10:51 AM

No, I don't. AFC is winning 60%, NFC is winning 40%.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 15, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Because the AFC is leading the NFC, 13-9, in inter-conference games.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 15, 2010 10:48 AM
----------------------------------------
4 games back...its still early...lets check on monday and see if the gap closes...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 15, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Because the AFC is leading the NFC, 13-9, in inter-conference games.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 15, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

That doesn't sound like "overwhelming" to me. A shift of two games and it even steven. Now 20 - 2 that sounds overwhelming.

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 15, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

That's pretty close don't ya think?

Posted by: PlayAction | October 15, 2010 10:51 AM

No, I don't. AFC is winning 60%, NFC is winning 40%.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 15, 2010 10:54 AM

Right...but 2 games the other way and its tied...and its a small sample so far. I'm thinking falcons-steelers...and skins-texans ughhhh

Posted by: PlayAction | October 15, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 15, 2010 10:42 AM

Dude, what are you, 12? Stepping aside the juvenile rant, it's got nothing to do with those teams...I had the Vikes and Cowpies at 8-8 so I wasn't buying their hype anyway. So maybe it's not a "weak" NFC so much as it is wide open. There's no juggernaut, there's no dominant team. Just a bunch of competitive teams where nobody's a favorite.

Plus, there's no question the top teams in the league thus far (Ravens, Steelers, Jets) are all in the AFC. May not look that way in December, but right now you'd be hard pressed to find a team in the NFC that would beat one of them in the SB.

I mean, the Bucs are 4-1. That's gotta tell you something...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 15, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

My favorite thing to do! I've got the money, why not spend it?

Signed,
Dan "The Hobbit" Snyder

Posted by: monk811 | October 15, 2010 10:19 AM

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 15, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I grew up a Redskins fan, and want this team to win. I will do WHATEVER it takes, including spending my BILLIONS, yes, with a B. It's not my fault Vinny was a retard and missed on all of my money and all these FA's. I told him he owes me all of that money back, so he's been cleaning my house, washing my car, waxing my butt, you know, the essential stuff!

Signed,
Dan "The Hobbit" Snyder

Posted by: monk811 | October 15, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

No, I don't. AFC is winning 60%, NFC is winning 40%.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 15, 2010 10:54 AM
--------------------------------------
I hear you beep...but my point wasn't about which conference is stronger..i was talking in reference to the skins chances...they are saying they're better because the conference is weak..impling that the teams that are winning are weak or playing above thier heads or something...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 15, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Hey, new bloggage guys; And about my main man LO-A.

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 15, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Dude, what are you, 12?

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 15, 2010 10:57 AM
------------------------
I wish!

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 15, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

A little sideline trick goes a long way. In the fourth quarter of the Packs game, just before the field goal that would have ended the game in Packs favor, Mike Shanahan called the referee to his side gesturing an imminent timeout. Packs field goal kicker saw that and went on the field with the mind set that Coach Shanahan will call a timeout just before the kick. Most NFL kickers used such attempt as practice kick, but Shanahan did not call timeout which actually affected the outcome of the fieldgoal.

My prediction for the Colts game, Redskins win another close one. My previous prediction on the 4 game stretch that started with the Packs is 3-1 with the one loss coming from Bears or Lions.

Posted by: abxinc | October 15, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Keep
-------------------------------------
Jamaal Brown
Donovan McNabb
Santana Moss
Kedric Golston
Stephon Heyer [a FINE backup, just NOT a starter]
Maake Keomatu
Malcolm Kelly [LAST chance]
Kareem Moore
Chris Wilson

Bubble [If you can't upgrade from, keep]
--------------------------------------
Anthony Bryant

Cut/Let go
----------------------------------
Carlos Rogers
Chris Horton

Posted by: ThinkingMan | October 15, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I hope/pray that Peyton discovers and carefully digests all this hatemongering, putting it to the best use on the field by chewin' up the 'Skins secondary, and thus channeling his anger and frustration for critics, to safely and decisively trounce Washington.

Posted by: bava84 | October 16, 2010 3:39 AM | Report abuse