Phillip Daniels and London Fletcher on the new defensive scheme

The Redskins entered today's minicamp still reluctant to describe their defense as a 3-4 scheme. And with good reason. Coaches have made it clear that they want to make certain they have the proper personnel in place before committing to any single scheme (and no doubt, the defense we see this fall will involve principles of a few schemes).

So just how hard is it to switch gears and go from a 4-3 defense to a 3-4? ESPN blogger Matt Mosley had an interesting post yesterday tackling that topic, casting a bit of doubt on the Redskins' change. More on that in a second.

On the surface, it's very simple: subtract a defensive linemen, add a linebacker. But it gets tricky when you start talking about specific roles and responsibilities. And it's a different type of adjustment for the different positions.

"It's not difficult at all," defensive end Phillip Daniels said of the learning curve. But he was speaking mostly on the behalf of the defensive linemen.

"We've been here for awhile," Daniels said. "We have classroom work, we've been out on the field walking through. The defense is not hard to learn.

"It's just a lot of stuff, and you've got to kind of categorize everything. But it's not a hard defense to learn, especially up-front.

"Linebackers and the guys behind us got a little bit more to learn. But us up-front, it's pretty much handling the line of scrimmage and doing those things. But overall, the defense is not that hard to learn. You've just got to be here to learn the concept of it."

With today's signing of Chris Draft , the Redskins now have 13 linebackers under contract for this season. If that seems like a high number, that's because it is. But the Redskins want to make sure they find the perfect pieces for both the inside and outside linebacker slots.

Mosley's post yesterday focuses on the linebacker position -- and specifically on London
Fletcher
. Fletcher, who turns 35 this month, has never played in a 3-4 defense and might not necessarily fit the classic mold. Fletcher spoke with Mosley and cited Sam Mills and Zach Thomas, though, as similarly-sized linebackers who found some level of success in the 3-4.

"I'm not tall, but I'm also not small. It's not like I'm 220 pounds or something," Fletcher, who's listed at 245 pounds, told Mosley. "I've always said that my height works to my advantage. Football's a game of leverage. If you have great technique, it doesn't matter. I constantly work on the fundamentals and that's why I think I can make plays in any scheme."

It'll be important to the scheme that Fletcher picks it up quickly. The way the defense will be designed, the linebackers will need to be big play-makers, and the linemen will have put them in position to make those plays.

The Redskins have had a highly-ranked defense the past couple of years in terms of yards allowed. The focus this year will be on on creating turnovers, which will shift the spotlight to the linebacker corps. Said Fletcher: "We've tried it the other way. I feel like this is the way to go."

"I've seen teams have so much success with it, so it's exciting to give it a try," Fletcher said. "Whether you're run blitzing or using zone dogs, it seems like you can cause more adversity for the offense. I've got no problem with that."

By Rick Maese  |  May 7, 2010; 1:01 PM ET
Categories:  3-4 defense , London Fletcher
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Carlos Rogers likes Redskins' new 3-4 scheme
Next: Redskins minicamp: A Day 1 obstructed-view summary

Comments

I guess with this new handle I can't really say f*rst anymore.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 7, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

And please no black at all.
Reminds me of "the maroon and black"
:) Hilarious!!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | May 7, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Alot of peeps in the "no black" camp.. I'm leaning with Jim on this one.. Bright yellow pants doesnt exactly sream let's play some football, but as moo said "as long as they win some games" I'm down.

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 7, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm not worried about Fletcher. The guy is smart, durable, and anybody that can pancake Brandon Jacobs is strong enough to play any position.

Posted by: Rypien11 | May 7, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Alot of peeps in the "no black" camp..

Posted by: skinsfanintampa

Yeah, tell me about it...

Posted by: RedDMV | May 7, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Alot of peeps in the "no black" camp..

Posted by: skinsfanintampa

Yeah, tell me about it...

Posted by: RedDMV | May 7, 2010 1:21 PM

MOL Red! nice one.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 7, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

We will need LB help that is the position that these guys have been covering for in the defense for the past 4 years. The outside LB position is weak that is why they have a guy in here that has been on 8 different teams who they believe will compete for a job..

Posted by: jtrob_1 | May 7, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm surprised anyone would even debate if London Fletcher could play in a 3-4. I would worry more about some of the other guys like McIntosh, Blades, etc. This change plays right to the strengths of guys like Orakpo and Wilson. Maybe we'll finally see Wilson playing full time. Of course, with the converted defensive ends and the linebackers the Redskins already had, there's going to be some heartache when the starters are announced. I am hoping they can move Carter if he really doesn't want to play linebacker. All it takes is for one 4-3 team to lose a starting defensive end and then the phone will ring with that trade offer.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 7, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

J. Reid reported Mike Nixon is one of the free agent rookies there on a tryout basis. I think he has a shot at makeing the 53 man roster. He seeems like a Bill Belichick type player. If your in the mood for reading a very intriguing article, I highly suggest you read this one. He has been compared to Pat Tillman at times.

Posted by: Michael_ASU | May 7, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I guess with this new handle I can't really say f*rst anymore.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 7, 2010 1:14 PM

I was really hoping that you would adhere to your demotion and would only be heard from at the end of a post.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 7, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I guess with this new handle I can't really say f*rst anymore.

Posted by: beep-beep

gotta respect the confusion you bring. That new handle is gonna cause more turnovers ... and in the words of London Fletcher, "I got no problem with that"

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 7, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Ok, now LOndon Fletcher and Phillip Daniels comments on this matter... whereas Carlos Rogers should be parking cars outside the stadium

Posted by: Sports_Guru | May 7, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

this is Fletcher's last year. Next year we are taking a LB in the 1st round

Posted by: vtsquirm1 | May 7, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm a little concerned about having a 35 year old playing ILB for the first time. If his name wasn't London Fletcher, I'd be very concerned.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 7, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

From PFT:

"If the suspensions of the Vikings defensive tackles are imposed consecutively, it makes even more sense for the team to make a play for Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth. For eight games, he would be a clear-cut starter -- and then he'd enter the rotation for the stretch run. If 37-year-old Pat Williams retires after the season, Haynesworth would step right in to the starting lineup come 2011."

It's a little too early, or too late however you look at it, but if the Vikes made an offer, what would be adequate compensation for Haynesworth?

I say a 1st and a 2nd.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 7, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Wilson gets a full-time position here, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a large chunk of the snaps normally devoted to Andre Carter. We aren't playing a 3-4 exclusively, so Carter will be in on 4-men fronts, but Wilson could see a lot of time opposite Orakpo in the 3-4 alignment.

Posted by: psps23 | May 7, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

"what would be adequate compensation for Haynesworth?"

At the very least, their first rounder next year. Probably more.

Posted by: psps23 | May 7, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I say a 1st and a 2nd.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 7, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

AH for All Day!

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 7, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

this is Fletcher's last year. Next year we are taking a LB in the 1st round

Posted by: vtsquirm1 | May 7, 2010 1:37 PM

LFB signed signed a 5 yr contract in 2007 and we drafted Perry Riley in the 4th this year.

MLB's taken in the 1st is the exception not the rule. I can't see that happening.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 7, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Alot of peeps in the "no black" camp..

Posted by: skinsfanintampa

Yeah, tell me about it...

Posted by: RedDMV | May 7, 2010 1:21 PM

Red, we agree a lot and disagree a lot as well, but one thing I am pretty sure about is...

You are a white boy.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | May 7, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 7, 2010 1:30 PM

Hey, Diesel, when you hear the beep-beep, just pull the rig over to the side of the road, turn off the engine, get out your license and registration, and say "Thank you sir, may I have another" when I hand you your citation.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 7, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

bout to get entertaining.....who's got popcorn...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 7, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

You are a white boy.

Posted by: Sports_Guru

I guess the jig is up.

Pun intended.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 7, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

You are a white boy.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | May 7, 2010 1:45 PM

You're thinking of Chia_Pet, who pretended to be a black girl when he posted as Risa_L.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 7, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | May 7, 2010 1:40 PM

Posted by: psps23 | May 7, 2010 1:42 PM

Vikes will probably finish well, so their first-rounder would be in the lower half... I'd take that and something in the lower rounds.

thought I heard something about the final decision for Williams and Williams being postponed for two weeks, pending appeal? in any case, doesn't matter right now since AH isn't here anyway.

we can sit on this for the next month and see what (if any) offers come our way.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 7, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

You are a white boy.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | May 7, 2010 1:45 PM

Posted by: beep-beep | May 7, 2010 1:51 PM

That sass comes naturally to chia!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | May 7, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Per PFT via Adam Schefter, Jared Gaither is still on the trading blocks. Looks like a no brainer for the Skins to make a move for him and set up as a starter at RT. Give the Ravens next year's second and be done with it.

Posted by: TWISI | May 7, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | May 7, 2010 1:55 PM

Give them Fat Albert and Carlos Rogers and be done with it!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | May 7, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Give them Fat Albert and Carlos Rogers and be done with it!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | May 7, 2010 1:58 PM

Guru? If Haynesworth doesn't want to play in the Redskins 3-4, why would he want to play in the Ravens 3-4?

Posted by: beep-beep | May 7, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Betts, Rock C, and Marko, for Gaither....make it happen cap'n...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 7, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | May 7, 2010 2:03 PM |

He'll look slimmer in Raven's black

Posted by: TWISI | May 7, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Red is white?

Now I have the blues.

Posted by: Original_etrod | May 7, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

uh...sorry, but why do the ravens want to part with him? what's the problem? also, would they take just our second rounder?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | May 7, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Long time ago, I posted a formula for determining the value of various situations and suggested its use as part of decision making for coaches. One of these situations was the short FG. Seems someone else has done work on this and come to a similar conclusion.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 7, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I traded my Air Jordans and Jay-Z library for some Airwalks and a collection of Billy Ray Cyrus.

I began my transition yesterday. I was in a rough part of D.C. stuck in traffic on Southern Ave. when a couple of young black youths walked past my car.

I immediately pressed the automatic lock button locking all doors on my car.

I also looked forward the entire time I was stuck in traffic.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 7, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier favors a 4-3 defense that relies on DTs. he was interviewing w/ Buffalo around draft time, but is expected to stay in Minnesota.

all of the caveats about rumors aside, this one sounds reasonable to me. the Vikes are in much more of a "win-now" mode than we are, and AH would probably prefer to play for a contender.

so what's it worth to each side? I'll guarantee that these discussions are happening, whether or not anything comes of it.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 7, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

BOL @ RedDMV.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 7, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

matt mosley...I hate that guy more than I hate Sal Palantonio. What a surprise, he doesn't like something the Redskins are doing.

Posted by: dbuggs | May 7, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 7, 2010 12:31 PM

4th, statutory rape is a strict liability offense. So if she looked 25, told you she was 30 but was really 14, you're still guilty.

If LT hit it, he's guilty no matter what the other facts are.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 7, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | May 7, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

So your now Theo Huckstable?

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 7, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Give the Ravens next year's second and be done with it.

------------------------------------------

Why would you give up a second rounder for a tackle when you gave up a second for a franchise QB? It does not add up. The Ravens are forcing a position change and using trade talk to do it.

Posted by: jtrob_1 | May 7, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

BOL @ RedDMV.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 7, 2010 2:24 PM

still mooing w/ the 2:16 post, because that bullsh!t is soooo true.

white commuters in DC are a case study in racial profiling.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 7, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | May 7, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Soon you'll be drinking 2% milk and naming your kids 'Dakota.'

Posted by: Original_etrod | May 7, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

"We will need LB help that is the position that these guys have been covering for in the defense for the past 4 years."

So looking forward, our draft priorities in 2011 are:

right tackle

left guard

linebacker

corner

running back

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 7, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Give the Ravens next year's second and be done with it.

------------------------------------------

Posted by: jtrob_1 | May 7, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jtrob_1 | May 7, 2010 2:30 PM

Age of players discussed. One has maybe 3 years left, the other has maybe 10 years left.

Posted by: TWISI | May 7, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

So looking forward, our draft priorities in 2011 are:

right tackle

left guard

linebacker

corner

running back
------------------------------------------

I would move corner and LB above guard.

Posted by: jtrob_1 | May 7, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 7, 2010 2:36 PM

you forgot QB of the future.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 7, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Not that I have any sympathy for lawrence taylor, but it when I see things like this situation, it makes a darn good care for legalizing (and regulating) prostitution. No way he winds up with an underage girl if he's got a legal choice.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 7, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

We may need to package our next 2nd round pick along with Haynesworth just to get rid of the bum. Or at the very least, we can throw in the contingent 4th in the 2012 draft that we got Oakland for unloading Souper-dooper-man.

Posted by: Vic1 | May 7, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------

I can understand the thought, but I do not believe the value will add up. Think of how many good lineman were released this year. A second round pick is very expensive.

Posted by: jtrob_1 | May 7, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | May 7, 2010 2:16 PM

Posted by: Original_etrod | May 7, 2010 2:35 PM

Posted by: Rypien11 | May 7, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

twisi

"Per PFT via Adam Schefter, Jared Gaither is still on the trading blocks. Give the Ravens next year's second and be done with it."

I agree, the only difference is I'd play Williams at rt and Gaither at lt.

I'd move Hicks to rt.

My new o-line then is:

Gaither--lt

Dockery--lg

Rabach--c

Hicks--rg

Williams--rt

Now this looks more like what you'd want.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 7, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 7, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Or for legalizing crack cocaine... No way he ends up with those priors.

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 7, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jtrob_1 | May 7, 2010 2:43 PM

Not for a franchise OT, particularly one who has shown the potential for many pro bowl performances for years to come on the left and right side of the line.

Posted by: TWISI | May 7, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | May 7, 2010 2:44 PM

Duh. That's why we're not sterotyping black folks.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 7, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

z, is that serious? thats just funny....thanks for the laugh......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 7, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

"whoa whoa whoa easy fellas... If we were sterotyping black folks instead of white folks I don't think it would go over very well."

Posted by: Rypien11 | May 7, 2010 2:44 PM

"Duh. That's why we're not sterotyping black folks."

Posted by: beep-beep | May 7, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse
------------------------------

you could make fun of atheists - that's still allowed....

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | May 7, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Mista, I don't know enough about Gaither to fully endorse a deal, but if he's a 'good to very good' LT and isn't a problem child, then he's easily worth a 2nd rounder in 2011.

It'd also address my main criticism of the McNabb trade ... we need protect the QB more than we need the upgrade at QB.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 7, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

moodlymoodlymoo

"..you forgot QB of the future..."

Suggesting a quarterback of the future means you cancel out the hopes and dreams of The Cult of Colt.

Several members are presently asking why folks don't believe Colt is better than McNabb as Colt's stats as a redskin quarterback--at the moment--are far better.

My redskin quarterback of the future is J Locker/C Ponder/A Luck/R Mallet.

We'll see if those four guys can become the one guy we all agree on.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 7, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I immediately pressed the automatic lock button locking all doors on my car.

I also looked forward the entire time I was stuck in traffic.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 7, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Man I do this all the time in DC, Baltimore as well.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | May 7, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 7, 2010 2:40 PM

And when I see a man getting a speeding ticket (like Diesel44) it makes a darn good case for legalizing speeding.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 7, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

My favorite stereotype is Sony.

Good sound quality.

Posted by: Original_etrod | May 7, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | May 7, 2010 2:44 PM

not that it matters, but I'm cool with Red's posts above... so far, it seems to fit in the realm of humorous and insightful observations.

there aren't any blog police until someone hits the "report abuse" button. if anyone is offended they can have at it or respond in kind.

my only criterion is that if I wouldn't say it to someone's face (for real), then it's not worth saying here.

just like mini-camp, may the best man win.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 7, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

legalize everything....that way no one ever breaks any laws......life would be so much better...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 7, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

ANARCHY! ANARCHY! I don’t know what it means but I LOVE IT!

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 7, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 7, 2010 2:58 PM |

I'm not offended. I'm Irish Italian and love a good white joke as much as a redneck joke, jewish joke, black joke, etc.

But we have to be even across the board - no making fun of one race without another.

It's like that line from Seinfeld when somebody tells Jerry a jewish joke and then he gets asked if it offends him as a Jewish person. His reply:

"No, it offends me as a comedian!"

Posted by: Rypien11 | May 7, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Wait, Red isn't red?

Posted by: dcsween | May 7, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------------

Posted by: jtrob_1 | May 7, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 7, 2010 2:40 PM

Legalize it for medicinal purposes: Medicinal prostitution…..maybe he was depressed and needed to feel better about himself by having a young girl get paid come on to him…Probably cheaper than some of the prescription drugs that are out there for depression.

I can’t remember if it was LT or another star player who admitted to sending hookers over to the other team’s rooms the night before big games…..would be kind of funny if it was LT.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | May 7, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

...not that there's anything wrong with that.

Posted by: DikShuttle | May 7, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | May 7, 2010 3:02 PM |

I don't know why "we have to be" but you're welcome to bring whatever you want up here. We've had a guy -- Risa_L/Rotfrau (ie. Chia_Pet) -- who was trying this and it just wasn't funny because it sounded like it was driven by hate. But go ahead and see if you can be funny.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 7, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Soon you'll be drinking 2% milk and naming your kids 'Dakota.'

Posted by: Original_etrod | May 7, 2010 2:35 PM |

============

No, no, no. It's drinking organic skim milk and naming your kids Jacob and Isabella.

Posted by: G-SHOK | May 7, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

My redskin quarterback of the future is J Locker/C Ponder/A Luck/R Mallet.

We'll see if those four guys can become the one guy we all agree on.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 7, 2010 2:52 PM

hate to do this... but I'm now on record predicting that one of those guys will be on our roster next year.

feel free to carve me into tender cuts if I'm wrong.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 7, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

LMAO!! Just read a post on PFT where Russell was referred to as "JaWalrus"!!! TOOOOOOOO FUNNY!!!

Posted by: chicoexcell | May 7, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

jtrob_1, you said,
"We are talking about Chris Samuels....What exactly did we win with him and Jansen for more than a decade....2 wildcard games in 10 years.. The value will not add up."

with jansen and samuels we should have been winning more, but well, those were the dark schizophrenic snyderrato years.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | May 7, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | May 7, 2010 3:02 PM

yeah, it's tough... got bent out of shape a little while back about something like that.

there's a difference between a well-intentioned joke and trying to slip in something poisonous.

but that's why we all get to hash it out.

(ambles over to gently sniff some daisies)

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 7, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

it makes a darn good care for legalizing (and regulating) prostitution..

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 7, 2010 2:40 PM

Just curious, how would you regulate it?

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 7, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

If LT hit it, he's guilty no matter what the other facts are.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 7, 2010 2:25 PM

While true...This is going to a jury....so it will be up to them....I know it's black and white...but funny things have happened before in a jury trial...

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 7, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jtrob_1 | May 7, 2010 3:06 PM

So in recent drafts, when you see all those OTs going in the first and second round of the draft, you consider those teams over drafting those prospects. I guess you figure that Trent Williams should have gone somewhere in the third round or later. Come on dude. On offense, besides a franchise QB, the most important position to fill is a franchise LT. Gaither happens to be one if he continues to work at his game. The Ravens happen to have two such LT (potential) on their roster that's one reason why the Ravens are willing to move Gaither now, whom in their estimation has a higher fail value than Oher, before they have to ante up big $$ to both those players. Better to get good value now than later because ya never know what will happen.

Posted by: TWISI | May 7, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | May 7, 2010 2:56 PM

Not to agree with zcezcest (but only to disagree with beep-beep), the federal highway speed was increased from 55 to 65 (or 70 in some places) based on neglible differences in safety.

Posted by: dcsween | May 7, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

it makes a darn good care for legalizing (and regulating) prostitution..

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 7, 2010 2:40 PM

Just curious, how would you regulate it?

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 7, 2010 3:12 PM

Ho's R us? DHS could regulate.
Yep, that should work. Um, how do you say...book it!?

Posted by: stevek20147 | May 7, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Just curious, how would you regulate it?

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 7, 2010 3:12 PM

Low hanging fruit ... registration, age limits, regular blood testing, insurance, enforcement against non-compliant vendors and consumers. Those are the obvious ones. Labor changes from the informal sector to formal sector has lots of benefits to protect the consumer and level the playing field for the vendor ... of course, The Man is going to want to tax the transaction ...

Posted by: dcsween | May 7, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Call them the 'Expendables'

Posted by: kahlua87 | May 7, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

it makes a darn good care for legalizing (and regulating) prostitution..

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 7, 2010 2:40 PM

Just curious, how would you regulate it?

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 7, 2010 3:12 PM

Ho's R us? DHS could regulate.
Yep, that should work. Um, how do you say...book it!?

Posted by: stevek20147 | May 7, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I like it.. But I was hoping for Nate Dogg and Warren G to regulate..

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 7, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Even better!

Posted by: stevek20147 | May 7, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: TWISI | May 7, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------

I agree with you on this point. However, you have to realize that we spend a top 10 pick on that guy in this draft. We spent a second on the QB in this draft to now go and get another guy in the second round means that you missed on the guy you took. You will need that second rounder to upgrade another postion. You have to balance it out or find some very productive cheap players.

Posted by: jtrob_1 | May 7, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

"fwiw, my analysis also showed the safety is of marginal value and coaches should be more aggressive on 4th down -- as long as they have a good chance of making the 1st down.
Posted by: zcezcest1"

Thanks for posting that link. Those guys, Schmidt and Berri, are economists and focus mostly on the NBA. In fact, their new book Stumbling On Wins, is endorsed by none other than Ted Leonsis. Mark Cuban is also a big fan. I don't know if any NFL types use it.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 7, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I hope everybody realizes that the Dallas fans are already preparing for Dez Bryant's entrance into the Hall of Fame in Canton. Apparently he's the only rook anybody is watching at camp...

Posted by: Samson151 | May 7, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Or for legalizing crack cocaine... No way he ends up with those priors.

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 7, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse
----------------------------------------

Hahahaha... classic. Beautifully said.

Posted by: ambrogicd | May 7, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Fletcher is a beast. He has the football smarts to handle anything they throw at him.

Posted by: bentoenail | May 7, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse