Kevin Barnes plans to keep on hitting

Redskins cornerback Kevin Barnes will always be linked to one stomach-churning YouTube clip.

"One of the fans I signed an autograph for said she saw my Cal game, you know, the infamous Cal game," the 23-year-old said of the contest during his senior season at Maryland.

Barnes's crushing tackle of then-Cal running back Jahvid Best, now a rookie with the Detroit Lions, left the Heisman hopeful on the ground--vomiting, crawling and gasping for air--and attracted thousands of hits online.

Now Barnes, a third-round Redskins pick in 2009, hopes that physical play can translate to an increased role in his second season in the NFL.

"My best thing is going out there and focusing on one play at a time and getting done what needs to get done on that play, but I haven't gotten too many passes caught on me. I haven't gotten too much of a chance to get my hands on balls so I let my pads do a little more talking," said the 6-foot-1,190-pound Barnes.

Barnes is coming off a rookie season during which he made two tackles in four appearances as a backup. He's now competing with offseason acquisition Phillip Buchanon and Justin Tryon to join the cornerback rotation behind DeAngelo Hall and Carlos Rogers. Buchanon, Tryon and Barnes are competing for the nickel corner spot.

Barnes said he had a head start learning the team's 3-4 scheme on defense.

"It's the same defense that I ran in college, so it's not too much different for me," Barnes said. "Only thing is I had to learn nickel since the beginning of camp...But I played nickel in college also."

The Maryland product said his second camp is very different than his rookie year's under former head coach Jim Zorn.

"It's not easier, but everybody's out here and you see the light at the end of the tunnel," he said. "Everybody's working for a purpose and everybody actually enjoys practicing now."

"Nothing about the old coaching staff last year but just bringing in a coach like Shanahan that has that kind of reputation -- people are always attracted to winning," he added. "Bringing him in here definitely elevated everybody's attitude."

By Jorge Castillo  |  August 5, 2010; 2:00 PM ET
Categories:  3-4 defense
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Injuries mounting for offensive line, receivers
Next: Malcolm Kelly believes he'll make the team

Comments

I think I'm going to puke...

Posted by: gixxer998 | August 5, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Kevin Barnes plans to keep on hitting

By Jorge Castillo | August 5, 2010; 2:00 PM ET

Dear Jorge,

Somehow, this doesn't really seem like "news." News would be if he planned to wear a pink skirt, to take up quilting because he can't stand to cause people pain, or if he was going to have a sex change operation.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 5, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Just watched the Barnes hit on the Tube. Ho-ly Cow.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | August 5, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Winning is attractive...I'd hit it...

Posted by: PlayAction | August 5, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

If moore fails at FS I say barnes gets a chance there

That clip is awesome n dude can wreck

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | August 5, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

"I let my pads do a little more talking since I can't get my hands on the ball," the 6-foot-1, 190-pound Barnes said.

Not exactly what you want to hear from a CB.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | August 5, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

I remember watching that game Cal- Maryland game. That hit was something else. I thought he killed that guy.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 5, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Okay, okay, it was an awesome hit, but obviously the guy is not going to be hitting Brandon Jacobs or Marion Barber like he did Jahvid Best, so let's just move on from the college highlights. What has Barnes done for the Redskins? Can he stay with a defender? Can he jump a route? From where I stand, he's got Tryon and Buchanon in front of him in the race for the nickel back and he is not gaining any ground. This guy was a third round pick last year. He should be making some noise. I wouldn't be so bold as to call him a bust, but he has been a disappointment.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 5, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love a DB that hammers like that.

Imagine if it would have been Barnes and not Hall chasing Delhomme last year.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 5, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I just pinched a huge loaf. Actually stopped up the toilet.

Now where's my plunger.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 5, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

that hit was jaw dropping. All of his breakfast was on the 15 yard line..YIKES

Posted by: overzealous08 | August 5, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Now where's my plunger.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 5, 2010 2:38 PM

Chia_Pet (Risa_L, Debaitor, Rotrau, Bleep-Bleep, etc.) said you left it with him last night after you cleaned out his pipes.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 5, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

I remember watching this game live, when he got hit they cut to commercial for a bit then cut back to the field just in time to show Javid puking, kinda weird but man he was hurting. In all fairness however he got laid out by the QB the ball was way high for a short Best, Barnes identified this and lined it up perfectly. Best moment in Maryland football the past few years???

Posted by: Stu27 | August 5, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I just pinched a huge loaf. Actually stopped up the toilet.

Now where's my plunger.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 5, 2010 2:38 PM

What's the difference between you and a piece of poop?

The poop smells better

On that note, I'm all for poop jokes...as they are very funny...but they have no place here.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 5, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Not exactly what you want to hear from a CB.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | August 5, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse
I was thinking the same thing. Sure hope he misspoke.

Posted by: NYSkinsFan1 | August 5, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

this is the greatest hit ever and the punter even shakes his hand after the hit.

I like Barnes it's a shame he cannot cover well.

Posted by: Mike4169 | August 5, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

The Reaper is missed Mike.

Posted by: jm220 | August 5, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone else notice the clock counting the days Haynesworth has not practiced?

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 5, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I just pinched a huge loaf. Actually stopped up the toilet.

Now where's my plunger.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop

What the hell is wrong with you?

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 5, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Nice post, Castillo!

Nice hit, Barnes!

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 5, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

barnes is the modern incarnation of raphel cherry (but without the life sentence).

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 5, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I just pinched a huge loaf. Actually stopped up the toilet.

Now where's my plunger.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop

What the hell is wrong with you?

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 5, 2010 3:04 PM

Ya know, I actually thought Poopy somehow hacked the headline:

"Kevin Barnes plans to keep on *hitting"

I had to do a double take.

Posted by: Alan4 | August 5, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | August 5, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | August 5, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 5, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Dude, it's getting old . . .

Posted by: rufus_t_firefly | August 5, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

this is a .500 team with a little good luck or bad luck could swing two games in either direction

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | August 5, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse