Redskins defense will be challenged by Peyton Manning's deceptions

Of all the things at which Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning excels, he is second to none at disguising his intentions on play calls at the line of scrimmage.

The four-time NFL most valuable player, who is adept at reading defenses, only calls plays after he surveys the defense (for seemingly forever) at the line of scrimmage, often frustrating opponents eager to get plays started. And as part of the Colts' effective no-huddle offense, Manning regularly misleads safeties on passing plays.

Strong safety LaRon Landry -- the NFC's defensive player of the week for Week 5 -- and free safety Kareem Moore must be disciplined and play smartly against Manning on Sunday at FedEx Field. Against the Colts' future Hall of Famer, play-action passes will be the least of the Redskins' problems.

"We have to come out and show him different looks," Moore said. "I'm sure he's seen everything, [but] we just have to mix our calls up and go out there and play."

But as talented as Manning is, the Redskins' defense will face its toughest challenge to this point.

"Going against a future Hall of Famer," Moore said. "All the things he does at the line, manipulating guys, certain calls making dummy calls ... he's just going out there making plays. We've just got to be ready, make sure we communicate in the back end [of the secondary] [and] get all the calls in fast."

By Jason Reid  | October 14, 2010; 10:00 AM ET
Categories:  3-4 defense
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rain cancels full practice; walk-through session instead
Next: Trent Williams expects to play against Colts

Comments

7. Kareem Moore knows he must improve his angles to the ball. “I definitely have to get better,” Moore said. “It’s more a mental thing with me, having had time off I didn’t have a chance to work on my tackling in the preseason. I just have to get back in the swing of things. I can’t give up a big run like that.”

more...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 14, 2010 6:50 AM |

It wasn't no "angle to the ball" deal. The dude just "whizzed" past him. And Brandon Jack ain't fast, that's for sure. And he continued for 50 more yards because no one could "catch up" to him. Christamighty.

Posted by: ArcticCat | October 14, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

"As for Banks - I think he will be a Pro Bowl return man and a solid slot option within 2 years."

I'll take your prediction and raise you 2 years; Banks will be a Pro Bowl returner this season. In 2 games played, he's 5th in the league in punt return yards overall. His yards per return is 2nd in the league to Dexter McCluster, who resides in the AFC. He has 6 returns vs. 1 fair catch. And he's due for a TD soon; he has 3 returns that were close to going the distance (one negated by a penalty that had no effect on his return). He's a stud already.

As for the slot receiver...that will take a bit longer. In fact, I'd be surprised if it ever happens. He may be able to run the routes, but I can't see him taking punishment consistently over the middle. As an occasional endaround/screen-man/deep threat, I can see him making an impact.

Posted by: psps23 | October 14, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | October 14, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

So you want to trade either a starting OLB in a 3-4 scheme, or a starting OG and most tenured Redskin O-lineman (Lichensteiger may be atop the depth chart but DD is still the better player and will start again this yr for us) for a 3rd down back?

At least we agree on the "wacky" part...

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 14, 2010 10:07 AM

If you look at it that way...the way I see it, you'd be trading a piece that doesn't fit what you wanna do here for a piece that does.

Which, by definition, is a mutually beneficial exchange.

I'd make that deal and be happy about it. My only concern with Slaton is that he's struggled with fumbles. But that's something that's correctable, IMO...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 14, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

... oh, and saying good nite at 4:30p

Posted by: hessone | October 14, 2010 10:13 AM

Haha...I like my rest hess.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 14, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

CR22 gets a pick againt Manning this week... book it!

Posted by: Alan4 | October 14, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Al of Slatons fumble problems have been the result of injuries. In college he had a wrist injury and coughed up a few.

In 09 the one year he lost 5 fumbles he ended the season getting placed on IR for a sever shoulder injury that turned out to be a neck problem that he got surgery for.

Besdes those two isolated years, his sophmore in college and sophmore in the nfl he really never had a problem holding on to the ball.

His upside is still very high...

Posted by: Stu27 | October 14, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

I want to see a crazy defensive gameplan this week. No "safe" cover-2 defenses, no conservative 4-DL rushes. Give me some exotic zone-blitz packages, throw everyone in the mix, send corners, safeties, LBs, whoever you have at him, and never show him the same thing twice.

Straight out of the Chargers/Steelers playbook. If he gets the big play, so be it. Just make sure that offensive line is paying the price. In the 4th quarter, it will pay off.

Posted by: psps23 | October 14, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Haha...I like my rest hess

I thought you lived in Australia or somewhere out there in a different time zone play

Posted by: hessone | October 14, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

CR22 gets a pick againt Manning this week... book it!

Posted by: Alan4 | October 14, 2010 10:26 AM

...and returns it 17 yards for a touchdown with 1:38 left in the first half.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 14, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

CR22 gets a pick againt Manning this week... book it!

Posted by: Alan4 | October 14, 2010 10:26 AM

Did the NFL rescind the outlaw on stickum? That's the only way I see that happening...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 14, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Champ will always have a special place in my heart as a Redskin. He was the man. Dude was screwed because both he and Arrington (deservedly) wanted to be paid the highest at their positions, but we only had space to sign one of them. We chose Arrington. Bailey wasn't going to settle for a mediocre contract (nor should he have) so we had to trade him before he left with no compensation.

Posted by: psps23 | October 14, 2010 8:46 AM

Yes Champ was a special player and Yes we traded him because he was going to leave in the offseason w/o compensation.

It had nothing to do with Arrington, a less than market contract, or being pompous (not your words).

He had other issues for leaving DC. Champ had "issues" with infidelity and was leaving DC to save his marriage.

ANd you definitely resign LL30 now and SM89 unless he's looking for top 10 money.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 14, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | October 14, 2010 10:28 AM

Nope I'm here in jolly old maryland...no RI for me after I leave work...darn kids.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 14, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | October 14, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

I fold- you win (I hope!!). And yes, he is unlikel to be an every down player but as a situational slot WR and full time PR, he will be a very valuable weapon, a guy teams need to spend valuable time game planning for. I love those packages in the red zone where they tried to get him the ball in space. He's not just fast and quick; he seems to have the vision needed to be a playmaker on returns.

Oh, anybody care to take a guess what this cat's 100 meter time was in HIGH SCHOOL?

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 14, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Redskins' defense will be challenged by Peyton Manning's deceptions

The best way to get after Manning is to send pressure right into his face.

Expect a lot of disguised "A" gap blitzes from the skins.

But for the most part, I say you hit Manning like he was a piece of old, stank coochie.

'Cuz even that gives it from gettin' smacked around too much.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 14, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 14, 2010 10:33 AM |

ANd Terrence Austin is going to transmogrify into Miles Austin.

Posted by: ArcticCat | October 14, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Which, by definition, is a mutually beneficial exchange.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 14, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

I hear you, your logic is sound; I just am not totally buying the premise that Dock is "a piece that doesn't fit". MS said he still has a role on this team; yes, that could mean "a role getting water/picking up pads" but I don't think so. We'll see. I also agree that fumblitis in and of itself is not reason to not pursue a guy; BB had that too. You can teach a guy to catch the ball; you cannot teach elite quickness and 4.3 speed

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 14, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 14, 2010 10:36 AM

Well, let's see... he weighs about 150lbs after undergoing college and NFL weight training. So I reckon he weighed about 70lbs in high school, and if he got caught in with a stiff 60 knot breeze behind him he'd go airborne at about about 10m/s... accounting for slight wind resistance I'd say betweem 10.4 and 10.5 seconds.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 14, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

... oh, and saying good nite at 4:30p

Posted by: hessone | October 14, 2010 10:13 AM

Haha...I like my rest hess.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 14, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Sounds like you would also like a bottle and diaper change! Damn, even my 1 1/2 old son goes to bed at 7:30 or 8.

Posted by: monk811 | October 14, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 14, 2010 10:33 AM

Where did you hear this? I mean, I ran into him a couple times at (what was then called) H20 in D.C. but I never heard anything like that.

Besides...last time I checked, the pussy is just as pink in Denver...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 14, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

The best way to get after Manning is to send pressure right into his face.

Expect a lot of disguised "A" gap blitzes from the skins.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 14, 2010 10:37 AM |

That might work if we had a decent NT like Rat or Raj. But even if, if there is a better blitz kill than Pey around I would like to know who. He launches them checkdowns like darts.

Posted by: ArcticCat | October 14, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 14, 2010 10:42 AM

Dockery is a big, slow mauler...the antithesis of what fits a zone blocking scheme.

It's not a stretch that even though he's a better overall player than Lichtensteiger, KL is a better fit for the offense. You play the guy that fits and hope he plays well enough to justify keeping the other guy on the bench. So far, it's not exactly the case.

Either way, the LG spot is limited. It's just a matter of whether it's limited by Dock's physical limitations or KL's lack of experience (plus he's better suited to be a center). My hope is that a better option presents itself before the trade deadline.

If not, I hear Randy Thomas is still available...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 14, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

TWISI-

Not gloating (maybe a little). I'm just not one to get upset when they cut the 53rd man on the roster or add a guy to the practice squad.

Look for the Haslett to employ a similar scheme to what he used against the Pack for the last three QTRs. Once again facing an elite QB w/o a running game although Manning is less mobile than Rodgers and has less weapons. Lots of different looks and shifting between snaps and sending 4-6 guys consistently. Haslett also used a lot of Nickel, so I would expect to see 37, 92, & 99 get a lot of snaps.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 14, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

That's the rule, not the exception. EVERY QB is worse under pressure. Why state the obvious?

It's like saying a boxer makes mistakes when he's taking a series of clean head shots.... duh!

Posted by: Alan4 | October 14, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Bring the heat on Manning! I wouldn't mind a few helmet to helmet hits. Lets see how many audibles he can call with a concussion.

Posted by: VegasJim | October 14, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | October 14, 2010 10:43 AM

Easy there monkster...you know all those circle jerks can be exhausting.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 14, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Besides...last time I checked, the pussy is just as pink in Denver...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 14, 2010 10:43 AM

It's not something that I think can be googled. I heard a rumor back and the day and it was confirmed by a few people close to the team.

I know I'm not the only one that has heard this...maybe Red, 4th, or beeps has too.

I asked DG28 about it 5 yrs ago and he would neither confirm or deny the rumor.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 14, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

No arguing that LL has been a beast up to this point. But he will be tested by the Colts as to his ability to make reaction plays, which were one of his bedbugaboos last year.

Posted by: ArcticCat | October 14, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I was watching some of the replay of the Raiders/Chargers game last night, and I'd just like to say that I'm glad Campbell is dinkin and dunkin off to tight ends and backs on the other end of the country. Sure he finished with something like 14 for 18, but at least 10 or 12 of those completions were short check downs. That has got to be the biggest waste of a strong arm I've ever seen, he never gets a chance to use it.

Posted by: monk811 | October 14, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Bump and run the wides and blitz every down. Line up five guys on the line and have them rush every down. Rotate them to keep them fresh. Hit Manning often. Drop everyone else into coverage. Dare them to run.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 14, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Love my Slaton provoked convo! Like I prefaced it was to be filed under the sports talk caller type deal, but heck-uva more fun than rehashed arguements....

And as for this Manning post....this just in: Water is wet!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 14, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I predict we knock out the starting QB for the third straight week!!

Note: I know that Rodgers was knocked out for the following week...but still!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 14, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | October 14, 2010 10:43 AM

Easy there monkster...you know all those circle jerks can be exhausting.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 14, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Sorry Playster, that was a STUPID comment....
Wow, sounds like a good CIRCLE of friends, no NERDS there huh?

Posted by: monk811 | October 14, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Good stuff Diesel...doesn't surprise me, as it would be more of a shock if a pro athlete WASN'T cheating. Just never heard that angle of why Champ left.

Hopefully, he's older and wiser now and will consider a comeback to D.C. once he's a FA next year.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 14, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Chris
Hold on there. If all water is wet is all wet water?

Posted by: alex35332 | October 14, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | October 14, 2010 10:56 AM
------------------------------------------
That's actually pretty obtuse, Alan4. If I were going against an inaccurate or inexperienced QB I'd like to sit back in zone and wait for an opportunity to pick him off. My focus would be more one of confusion than hitting him every down. If I was playing the Browns, Cards, Panthers or Niners this weekend, that's how I'd call it. That's how Haslett should have called the Rams game.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 14, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 14, 2010 10:59 AM |

Them duds is currently unavailable for posting - it's their 11:00 AM circle jerk thingy. But after the lizards have been drained mebbe one of them will post his IMO.

Posted by: ArcticCat | October 14, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Chris
Hold on there. If all water is wet is all wet water?

watered down comments

Posted by: hessone | October 14, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Chris
Hold on there. If all water is wet is all wet water?

Posted by: alex35332 | October 14, 2010 11:07 AM |

Nucky said that AC will be as wet as a mermaid's tw@t.

Posted by: ArcticCat | October 14, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Sorry Playster, that was a STUPID comment....
Wow, sounds like a good CIRCLE of friends, no NERDS there huh?

Posted by: monk811 | October 14, 2010 11:07 AM

That's right...hessone isn't invited...so what's your call on this weeks game?

Posted by: PlayAction | October 14, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

1940 Redskins Matchbooks #19 Bill Young - GD

1941 Redskins Matchbooks #4 Vic Carroll - NM
1941 Redskins Matchbooks #16 Clem Stralka - EX/MT

1942 Redskins Matchbooks #1 Ki Aldrich - NM
1942 Redskins Matchbooks #3 Joe Beinor - EX/MT
1942 Redskins Matchbooks #4 Vic Carroll - EX/MT
1942 Redskins Matchbooks #9 Dick Farman - EX
1942 Redskins Matchbooks #11 Al Krueger - EX/MT
1942 Redskins Matchbooks #15 Bob Seymour - EX/MT
1942 Redskins Matchbooks #17 Clem Stralka - EX
1942 Redskins Matchbooks #19 Willie Wilkin - EX/MT

1962 Topps #115 SONNY JURGENSEN PSA 8(oc)

Posted by: FootballCardSnatcher | October 14, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Devin Thomas thinks Fantasia video got him cut
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 14, 2010 11:05 AM ET
After a week in which he was waived by the Redskins and claimed by the Panthers, receiver Devin Thomas says he's completely focused on football, and on helping Carolina win.

But Thomas knows some people question that focus.

Specifically, after Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said Thomas needs to be more focused on football, Thomas told Steve Reed of CarolinaGrowl.com that Shanahan got annoyed with his offseason endeavors, including appearing in the music video for Fantasia's "Bittersweet".

"I'll take that to heart, and now that I have a second chance, I'll make sure I do everything professionally," Thomas said. "I'm focusing on football. All that stuff can come later in life. I'm looking to just become a great receiver."

Ultimately, what matters is what a player does on the field. A player can spend the offseason making music videos or appearing on Dancing With the Stars or sitting on a tractor contemplating retirement as long as when he finally shows up, he contributes. Thomas's problem was that he never made an impact on the field.

Posted by: oh_boy1 | October 14, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: VegasJim | October 14, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Peyton Mannings just seconds after his 3rd helmet to helmet hit by Orapko:

"I'm fine I told you, just keep those pink unicorns away from me! And tell Eli to stop wearing those pantyhose under his uniform. Man I gotta poop, can you wipe me Reggie?"

Posted by: monk811 | October 14, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

That's right...hessone isn't invited...so what's your call on this weeks game?

Posted by: PlayAction | October 14, 2010 11:17 AM |

Skins get blowed out, 45-10.

Signed,

MistaMofo

Posted by: ArcticCat | October 14, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

CR22 gets a pick againt Manning this week... book it!

Posted by: Alan4 | October 14, 2010 10:26 AM |

I went to go and book it but I dropped my pen. Upon my second effort to book it, the book put a double move on me and caught a deep pass in the end zone.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 14, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Oops ...Sorry, wrong cut and paste job on that last post.

That will teach me to try and post and trade cards at the same time.

I blame Microsoft tabs.

Posted by: FootballCardSnatcher | October 14, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

alan4

"EVERY QB is worse under pressure."

That is so very true.

But when Roger Staubach, Vince Young, Steve Young, Mike Vick, John Elway, Randall Cunningham, and Donovan McNabb are/were under pressure, they could/can kill you with scrambling.

And the Mannings, Bradys, Leftwichs, Marinos, Montanas, Namaths, Bert Jones of the world usually folded under the pressure of too many linebackers coming at them in 'A' gap style blitzes.

Yes, PManning can checkdown or put the ball anywhere he wants to in light of pressure.

But the job of the defense is make sure he pays a price for it.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 14, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | October 14, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Hilarious!! He actually ran a 10.22 second 100 meters his senior year in high school. That is ridiculous.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 14, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 14, 2010 11:21 AM |

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA. Not really. It's kinda lame dude.

Posted by: ArcticCat | October 14, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

more...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 14, 2010 6:50 AM |

Not worried about Moore's tackling.

If we are counting on our free safety to make TD-saving tackles on running plays, then the bigger problem is with the front 7.

When it come to free safety: plays in coverage > tackling the running back

Posted by: p1funk | October 14, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

CR22 gets a pick againt Manning this week... book it!

----------------------

I meant to say ... CR22 drops two possible picks from Manning this week ... book it!

Posted by: FootballCardSnatcher | October 14, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

"He actually ran a 10.22 second 100 meters his senior year in high school. That is ridiculous."

As a man who used to run 10.7/8 in the 100M, I'd say it's not all that ridiculous.

And I did that after running a 14.7 100H hurdles.

Now, that what was ridic.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 14, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

That's right...hessone isn't invited...so what's your call on this weeks game?

redskins 35
colts 31

Posted by: hessone | October 14, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

RE: Redskins defense will be challenged by Peyton Manning's deceptions

Recalling how effective he last week was in imitating Eagle quarterback Michael Vick -- which many Redskin Outsider believe was vita preparation that led to a Washington victory in Philly -- Redskins kick returner Brandon Banks has been invited back for a repeat performance this week -- and assigned a starring role on the practice squad as the big guy himself -- the immutable Peyton Manning.

To study up for the role, Banks allegedly visited a local psycho ward and had numerous up close and personal interactions with several Tourettes Syndrome patients -- to get a better sense of the unique neuropsychiatric disorder that often manifests itself in a series of uncontrolled movements, twitches and other tics, and more rarely, through the unexpected and uncontrolled blurting out of obscene, socially inappropriate, and derogatory remarks.

Apparently, the Redskins are trying to find some way to prepare for Manning's unorthodox approach to handling play calls, audibles, and snap counts.

Posted by: Vic1 | October 14, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

The best way to get after Manning is to send pressure right into his face.

Expect a lot of disguised "A" gap blitzes from the skins.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 14, 2010 10:37 AM |

Like the rest of the skirt-wearers in the NFL, if you put him on the ground a few times he will get rattled.

With AH back, I hope we can get some pressure with the 4-man front. AH pushing up the middle, Carter and Orakpo at DE.

Manning is not mobile.

Posted by: p1funk | October 14, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

And I did that after running a 14.7 100H hurdles.

Now, that what was ridic.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 14, 2010 11:30 AM

You ran track huh? I was on the broad jumping team.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 14, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

"I'm always amused when I read an analysis that says "[insert QB name here] gets rattled and makes mistakes under pressure. The key is to not give him time."

Posted by: Alan4 | October 14, 2010 10:56 AM"

Because the other completely viable gameplan for any given defense is to focus on plugging the running lanes and shadowing the running back. In which case, pressure on the QB takes a backseat.

It's like saying the best way to stop vertical threats is to have safety help over the top. Well, obviously. But if you do that against Chris Johnson, he's going to torch you for 180 yards and multiple TDs on the ground.

Posted by: psps23 | October 14, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

lurking beeps

Posted by: RomoLongballs | October 14, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

CR22 gets a pick againt Manning this week... book it!

----------------------

Posted by: FootballCardSnatcher | October 14, 2010 11:27 AM
-------------------------------------------
Well, that's accurate. It really is sad to watch CR try to hold onto a ball. It is like the ball is made of vapor and keeps slipping through his fingers. They could make a montage of all of his dropped interceptions and put it to music.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 14, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Here is where you guys are making your mistake.

Manning doesn't get rattled, if you hit him he doesn't always go down either.

But you have to get sacks on him. For no other reason than its 1 less chance for him to make a play.

You don't want to corner blitz or safety blitz too much IMO, he is too smart and too quick for that to work.

I think the defense needs to play every down like its that last play TD wins the game type play.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 14, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

And I did that after running a 14.7 100H hurdles.

Now, that what was ridic.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 14, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

It's all relative Moe. I'm not saying Ussain Bolt's jaw would drop at that. But for a 17 yr old kid, that is blazing speed. 10.2 will get you in the Olympics from most countries.

Nice work on the hurdles.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 14, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

" ... certain calls making dummy calls ..."

I always thought that Big Forehead's floppy arm audibles looked kind of dumb too.

Posted by: dcsween | October 14, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Defensive objectives.

If you can't beat 'em directly - hurt 'em.

Don't do anything dirty, but when receivers catch the ball, knock the snot out of them. If they get up, on the next catch, do it again. Eventually either they don't get up, or they don't catch the ball.

Two quarterbacks are out after playing the Redskins and Peyton Manning is no Mike Vick - so he isn't going very far from the line of scrimmage. He must be punished every time he throws the ball - and once again, I'd give the defense two yellow flags cushion to separate Manning from the 2nd half lineup. Again nothing dirty, but don't worry about how close you are when he releases the ball. Hit him and let him pick himself off the field.

Once the available offensive potential of this enemy is depleted, then you game plan as normal - cutting the head off the fish is important, but if the fish can only swim half as fast, it can be caught.

Offensively the Redskins must be ready to take deep shots often - get the speed guys into the lineup - banks and armstrong and let them wade through the usual underwhelming Indy defense. Torain must get going so we can play action out of that and a nice draw play at the right time would be delicious. McNabb must be rolled out to clear open lanes for long shot daggers.

Two years ago this would have been a scary game. Right now, this defense will ceed huge chunks of yardage early until the players start coming off 'cause they can't take it anymore.

Redskins 28, Colts 15

Posted by: laserwizard | October 14, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

You ran track huh? I was on the broad jumping team.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 14, 2010 11:34 AM
-----------------------------------------
I've jumped a few broads in my day... There. Someone had to say it.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 14, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 14, 2010 11:38 AM

That would have to be a very very long song.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 14, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Screw blitzing altogether ... A gap or not ... Dallas Clark is banged up but practicing ... the MLBs need to deny the short middle and flats. Even thought Garcon and Collie are hurt, they are both practicing. Plus Big Forehead has some new kid (Blair Witch) who can catch. Stick with the dime packages. [Donald Brown is hurt].

And Haynesworth needs to be allowed to play with straight up sacking opportunities.

Posted by: dcsween | October 14, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Moe- FYI, 10.22 seconds in the 100m (non wind aided) would've gotten you out of the prelim heats, past the quarters and into the semifinals in the 2009 IAAF World Championships. Again, considering we're talking about a teenage kid whose primary focus was probably football and not sprinting, I'd say that's pretty amazing.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 14, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

__________________

Man, that's deep.

Huge to have 92 back this week. WIth an elite strong safety wreaking havoc all over the field, an All Pro DE/OLB in 'Rak and 92 hopefully playing with a purpose after his family tragedy, I think is D is rounding into a very good one.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 14, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

That's right...hessone isn't invited...so what's your call on this weeks game?

Posted by: PlayAction | October 14, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, really busy today!

Of course I want us to win, but with us facing one of the best QB's of all time and with us still having so many holes on this team, it'll be tough. If we can get some pressure on him and be in it in the 4th Quarter we just might pull it off.
After calculating all of this, I have come up with a score:
Redskins 24
Colts 20

Posted by: monk811 | October 14, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Our offence is the key to this game, not the defense. We can blitz them, jam the hell out of their receivers and it will be all for not if we lose the time of possession battle.

This Colts team is not the Eagles or the Packers.....If we leave that offense on the field all game they WILL score touchdowns.

Posted by: skins91r | October 14, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse