Rocky McIntosh back in comfort zone

Inside linebacker Rocky McIntosh was a force in his return to the lineup after being sidelined by a concussion in Week 6.

McIntosh shared the team lead with eight tackles, including six unassisted, had a sack and forced a fumble in the Redskins' 17-14 victory over the Chicago Bears at Soldier Field. It was good to be back in the lineup, McIntosh said.

"I always play good when I'm with my teammates," McIntosh said. "Just being out there in that atmosphere with my teammates, that's when I always feel good."

The Redskins had six takeaways on four DeAngelo Hall interceptions - he tied the NFL record - and two fumble recoveries. Washington last had six takeaways on Jan. 1, 2006, against the Philadelphia Eagles.

"It's real important," McIntosh said of the takeaways. "He [defensive coordinator Jim Haslett] stressed it from day one that we were gonna get a bunch of turnovers [against the Bears]. Seeing it on film in the other games, they give up turnovers. We just had to capitalize on it. And we did this time."

Again, McIntosh was key in the Redskins' success on defense, Coach Mike Shanahan said.

"Anytime you lose a guy for a game, like we did, it sets you back a little bit," Shanahan said. "But that's the nature of the National Football League. You are going to lose players during the season and some guys will have to step up. ... I was pleased with Rocky's effort today."

By Jason Reid  | October 24, 2010; 8:55 PM ET
Categories:  3-4 defense
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ryan Torain tops 100 yards again
Next: Albert Haynesworth turns in best performance as a Redskin

Comments

Can't you just put all of these in one blog instead of like 50?

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | October 24, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

The Mayo getting his formats confused again ;-p He thot it was twitter.

Ironically, this is the perfect format for a bulletin list of comments or light articles...

Of course, all of print journalism is headed this way. Kudos Deadspin for all the dik jokes!!

rok rok AUN!

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 24, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Rocky's contract situation is understandably overshadowed by McNabb's but games like this show you just how important he is to this defense.

I would love to see him ink a 4 or 5 year deal worth $15-20 million. He's the only 'true' starting LB under 30 on this defense. Orakpo and Alexander are probably better suited for D-line IMO.

Posted by: elfreako | October 24, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

The National Media will be all over D-HALL and his spectacular day.......four INTS. DAMN.

But not lost on myself was the play of ROCKY MAC. Had a great day. Best since his rookie season if you ask me. Certainly since his knee injury.

As far as the team goes, my comment is...........I'd rather be lucky than good.

Nice to be 4-3 closing in on the mid-point of the season. 5-3 in the first half would be mighty sweet!!!!!!!!

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 24, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

5-3 before the break
5-3 after the break

Hello post season

Works for me.

Posted by: edvar | October 24, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Four wins all of last year. Four wins already this year. My only real hope for this year was improvement. So, heartburn-inducing as all of our games this year have been, ultimately I guess I don't have a whole lot of complaints.

So Hail, and let's get ready for Detroit. Not taking the Lions lightly at all.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 24, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Ok. Time to call it.

This blog is dead.

T.O.D 10:54 PM

Posted by: edvar | October 24, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

A controversial goal-line ruling helped Ben Roethlisberger and the Pittsburgh Steelers eek out a win on Sunday over the Miami Dolphins.

With 2:30 remaining in the game, Roethlisberger, playing his second game since returning from suspension, fumbled on the goal line with his team down two points. It appeared that the Dolphins recovered in the end zone. But upon replay review, referee Gene Steratore awarded the ball back to the Steelers because he couldn't conclusively determine that the Dolphins had ended up with the ball, even though a Miami player handed the football to an official.

The Steelers received the ball on the 1-yard line and kicked what would be the game-winning field goal on the next play.

If you haven't seen the replay...just wait, they F'ed this one up.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 24, 2010 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Well, onto the Lions. We sure seem to have trouble giving McNabb time against quality defenses. Funny thin is it's not the usual suspects. It's the interior guys giving us trouble. Williams seems to be doing an above average job for a rookie. That's why this Detroit game worries me. They have a monster on the interior dline and they have offensive weapons. PLEASE do not take these Lions lightly or we could easily fall into our same old trap of playing down to opponents.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 24, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

I copied this post from Steinberg's (ooh look how snarky i can be!!) column because of its entertainment value.
--------

shanny looks like he just saw one of two things 1. Linsey just drop her jeans and showed shanny her Kanery yellow g-string she has been wearing since she took that relaxing bubble bath before the show .
2.Linsey just pulled her jeans down and accindentaly drop her note cards and had to bend over to pick them up. In doing so shanny saw her Kanary yellow g string she has been wearing since she took that bubble bath to relax. Shanny just notice the nice smooth closeness of a great razor .
Stay tuned for more of Lindsey and shanny later on the redskins nation hosted by Mike ill kiss your rump dannyboi for this gig

Posted by: terryreece | October 24, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

---------

The funniest thing I have read all day.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | October 24, 2010 11:24 PM | Report abuse

scamp- I thought Hicks was a good signing in the offseason with his versatility. He's been below average at RG.

I've seen enough of 78 to know that he can't play and Rabach is apparently great at the OL calls but is a huge liability.

We need 2 OGs and a C. McNabb has prevented a lot of sacks but it's killing our run game, down field passing, and our ability for the O to convert 3rd downs. This is the weakest link in our O.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 24, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Better than last year Diesel but that ain't saying much. Its ugly in the trenches

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 24, 2010 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Well...pulling for the tie tomorrow night

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 24, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 24, 2010 11:28 PM

Co-sign

Hicks is just good depth, not starting material.

I wonder if Capers or Cooke are making any strides? It would be great to see one or both step up and become legit starters down the road. I guess that's asking a lot from two 7th rounders....

Posted by: edvar | October 24, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Well...pulling for the tie tomorrow night

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 24, 2010 11:42 PM

With lots of injuries.

Posted by: edvar | October 24, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Well...pulling for the tie tomorrow night

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 24, 2010 11:42 PM

With lots of injuries.

Posted by: edvar | October 24, 2010 11:45 PM |

I'm really pulling for a meteor game but that's unlikely

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 24, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm really pulling for a meteor game but that's unlikely

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 24, 2010 11:47 PM

Yes, but we can dream, can't we?

Posted by: edvar | October 24, 2010 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love these ugly wins. Skins aren't a great team but are for the most part, out coaching the other teams.
Coaches are getting wins out of an old and under talented team.
Dallas has a ton more talent than we do, but bad coaching and look where they are.
This is a "practice" year for Shannahan. He's building his culture and still missing some pieces. But it's a good start.

Posted by: COskins | October 25, 2010 12:00 AM | Report abuse

I am starting to believe that McNabb may be done here. He's a superb athlete, but I don't think Shanny & Son like his play style and the feeling appears mutual.

Yes, he was reviled by many up in Philly, but McNabb was in his comfort zone with Andy Reid et.al. up there. Look for him to go to Minnesota in the offseason.

p.s. that was one of the worst football games I've seen this year.

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 25, 2010 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 25, 2010 12:18 AM

Could you back that up with some facts please. I haven't seen anything at all to show that Shanny doesn't like his play or McNabb doesn't like the scheme.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 25, 2010 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 25, 2010 12:18 AM

Well, I just went and watched all the post game stuff and there was no impression at all that the two sides are down on each other. I would say that your impressions are more of the talking out of your ass type.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 25, 2010 1:09 AM | Report abuse

Wow, I wasn't very nice today. I guess it started with some idiot deciding he wanted to tell me off for being sick of the Jason Campbell crap. Well...we won, tomorrow is another day and HAIL!!!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 25, 2010 1:27 AM | Report abuse

Allow me, if you will, to sum up the situation:

"I'm pretty F .U. C .k .I. n. G tired...of these mother F. u. c. k. i. n. g. snakes on this mother f. u. c. k. i. n. g plane."

-Sam Jackson

Nice to get a W though.

"Don't you think I want to...don't you think I would....Don't you think I'd tell you baby........

If I only could!"

- Chris Robinson

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | October 25, 2010 1:30 AM | Report abuse

A few thoughts from the game:

-That game was UGLY. I'm still trying to figure out if this nausea and diarrhea is from the sh*tty pizza I ate at the bar or the sh*tty football I watched while eating said pizza. But hey...I'll take a Redskins win any way I can get it.

-DHall haters on RI can now STFU about him once and for all. Dude finally played up to the level of his talk and that Pick 6 was a thing of beauty...not to mention the biggest reason we won that game. That's now two games in which he's scored on defense to provide us a victory where we didn't play well enough to win without it. Time give the guy his props.

-I can eat my crow as much as I can dole it out...AH played what was far and away his best game as a Redskin. I'm still tempted to grade that performance on a curve considering how awful the Bears O-line is, but 3 or 4 weeks ago I'm not sure AH could have gone like anyway. If he can bring it like that on a weekly basis, we're a virtual lock for the playoffs.

-Joey Galloway going alligator arms on that 2nd McNabb pick was sickening. I wasn't a huge Joey hater, but now I am. I hope to God someone else steps up because don't want that clown on the field the rest of the year.

-We're 4-3, baby! HTTR!!

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 25, 2010 5:56 AM | Report abuse

Five thoughts: Redskins 17, Bears 14
By: John Keim
Examiner Staff Writer
10/24/10 7:07 PM EDT

1. The defense limited the Bears’ offensive playmakers. And we’ll factor the punting game in this one as well. Chicago tried to get guys such as Devin Hester and Matt Forte the ball in space, but the Redskins tackled well and prevented them from getting many yards after the catch. Forte, who averaged 12.9 yards per catch entering the game, gained 6.4 yards on his five catches and Hester was at 6.0 for his five receptions. And Johnny Knox, who averaged 21.8 coming in, finished with 14.3 yards on his six catches. That forced Chicago to drive the ball and, as we saw, the more the Bears offense is on the field the more there’s a chance for a big negative play. As well as DeAngelo Hall covered, his tackling was as good as it’s been in several weeks. Made a difference. Here's a look at his interceptions. And, on punt returns, give Hunter Smith credit for not being selfish. He punted seven times for a 33.3-yard average with a net of 28.7. Putrid numbers, right? Except that the key stat is this: 12 yards. That’s how many punt return yards Hester had. Smith punted out of bounds on five of his seven punts. If the Bears had a more explosive offense, it could have been an issue. But they don’t so it wasn’t. It also helped that Washington won the field position battle in the first half; the Bears didn’t start a drive in the first half beyond their 30. And five started inside their 22.

2. I’m not sure what to make of Donovan McNabb through seven games. Today was a bit of a microcosm. At times he seemed to lack awareness; other times he made perfect throws to Santana Moss (touchdown) and Anthony Armstrong (dropped or it would have been a touchdown). Footwork was an issue a couple times, as always. On the Danieal Manning interception, Manning strode into the pass and sailed it high to Joey Galloway. Not that he was open anyway, so the decision wasn’t good, either. He missed Santana Moss in the end zone for another would-be touchdown. He fumbled while running up in the pocket and holding the ball away from his chest, easy swiping territory. Just mistakes that an 11-year vet shouldn’t make. I know he’s trying to get out to make a play; it’s what he does. But it wasn’t a good day. A couple times he felt the pressure and hurried throws. Can’t say that I blame him considering he can’t have a lot of trust in the protection (having Clinton Portis here would help). But still. Give the Bears credit for keeping him in the pocket, however. They also locked onto receivers if he did break contain. Of course, it helped that Jay Cutler made his share of bone-headed throws (not always his fault as his receivers don't know how to break up plays, but that's another story). On the Bears' last drive, needing a field goal and in great field position Cutler took a shot down the sideline with a corner playing off and a receiver who was never going to get open.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 25, 2010 6:11 AM | Report abuse

3. Ryan Torain was impressive… sort of. It wasn’t just Torain, of course, but it’s hard to feel comfortable with a back who has fumbled twice when trying to kill the clock. But to get 125 yards on this defense is darn good. Of course, 45 came on two plays. Still, that meant on his other 19 carries he still gained 80 yards. Had he done just that, the Redskins would have to have been happy. Torain was inconsistent in pass protection; one pressure came when he failed to block the linebacker blitzing the middle. But he also picked up a blitz on McNabb’s TD pass to Moss. I also liked how the Redskins blocked for him, especially around the right side. They’d use Mike Sellers in an offset I formation and then motion Chris Cooley to that side. Cooley was adept at sealing the end and then Sellers had a couple good kickout blocks, including one on Brian Urlacher on a nine-yard run in the fourth. I’m not ready to proclaim Torain as a star, because he’s not a complete back yet. And he was stuffed on a short yardage late because he failed to hit the hole. Some of this is just experience. The kid does run hard and continues to make guys miss. Love his patience, too.

4. Trent Williams did a solid job vs. Julius Peppers. He wasn’t always on him, but when matched he did a decent job. Can’t say the same for Jammal Brown. He doesn’t play with much power anymore and his footwork is suspect. More on that another time. But Williams’ ability to keep a strong base prevented at least a couple pressures from Peppers. He tried to knock him off-balance with a powerful swat, but Williams wasn’t shaken and never lost his base. That’s a lot of strength, but it stems from being able to bend his knees and play with a strong anchor. Williams did lose some battles, but wasn’t an issue. It was interesting to see how the Redskins dealt with Peppers. Off the top of my head, it seemed they used the tight end vs. him a number of times. And another time they froze Peppers on a play-action when he was against Cooley. Had he not bit on an inside handoff, Peppers would have creamed McNabb. But he did so McNabb had time for a completion to Armstrong.

5. Graham Gano, Graham Gano, Graham Gano. Man. He clunks a 37-yarder off the left upright? Does anyone have confidence in him when he lines up for a field goal? I remember when the Redskins signed him, Jim Fassel raved about his ability to ignore bad kicks. Had the Redskins needed another one, maybe he would have come through. But he has to be on notice. Here’s the problem: the kick coverage is very good and he’s part of the reason why. His kickoffs are solid; he does a good job of kicking to a side and with enough air under the ball to allow the coverage time to arrive. He makes teams drive a long ways. But he’s now 13 for 18 on the season. That’s bad. Remember, Shaun Suisham was cut after making 18 of 21 kicks.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 25, 2010 6:13 AM | Report abuse

Once again…I am so glad the deal for Cutler fell through. To think Vinny was going to give up two ones and two thirds. Wow…Just wow.
Galloway should not be on the field…Isn’t there someone else out there? Street corner, bagging groceries prison release???
Why does it look like the running plays take so long to develop…Looks like they are in slow motion.

Posted by: fat_back | October 25, 2010 6:27 AM | Report abuse

I'm not worried about Gano...he's a young kicker and he'll work that stuff out. Dude was on the road in Chicago...they don't call that place "The Windy City" for nothing. He'll get it together.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 25, 2010 6:45 AM | Report abuse

a win is a win is a win...

it's games like yesterday that make me miss drinking

it's time for the NFL to consider down sizing the league. not enough talent to pull the weight of 32 teams. folks, it's watered down football

HTTR!

Posted by: hessone | October 25, 2010 7:02 AM | Report abuse

With looking for prospective players for the skins. 1 guy standing out in the UFL worth a look again this year.

Dede Dorsey,

26 year old RB, dude is a legit dual threat. Week 3 he had the most passing and rushing yards in the league for that week.

The guy could come in as a Reggie Bush type, for the skins.

We got Gano and Hasslet from the UFL, lets keep raiding the farm.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 25, 2010 7:08 AM | Report abuse

Good point Hess...I'm still trying to figure out why this league thought it would be a good idea to put a team in Jacksonville. I lived there as a kid...there's literally no reason to think they can support a professional franchise...

Anyone else see they way the Raiders raped and pilaged Denver? Holy smokes...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 25, 2010 7:15 AM | Report abuse

Alex, funny you mention Dorsey...that's a guy I've had an eye on since he was on Hard Knocks with the Bengals. Dude has some game...I could definitely see him doing well here in this zone blocking scheme. Might be a good change of pace to Torain...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 25, 2010 7:18 AM | Report abuse

Questions for the day:

If Jay Cutler had had any kind of a productive day passing yesterday, do the bears win?

Does the redskin offense literally 'disappear' for stretches of game even though it's given great field position?

Do we underestimate/value Graham Gano?

Whither Fred Davis?

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 25, 2010 7:19 AM | Report abuse

John Kiem

I’m not sure what to make of Donovan McNabb through seven games.

Add the past 7 games to the past 11 years, and what you get is the incomplete, unsatisfying picture of inconsistency that frightened Andy Reid.

Franchise McNabb (if possible) and trade him.

11 years ago, you could argue he was worth building around.

7 games this season suggest moving him to get picks to use to get new bricks to build with.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 25, 2010 7:26 AM | Report abuse

I TOLD y'all Fat Albert is the bomb.

Shanny was playing the Warden in "Cool Hand Luke" the whole time. TOLD you!

And D Hall is having his best season ever. That was obvious to me since preseason. The guy is always solid in coverage, but he's hitting and he's making plays on the ball. (understatement?)

I think I may have been the JC8 guy that pissed Scampbell off. I couldn't help it. Look at JC's game today vs McNabb's.

I just think people, and I'm cool with it, give McNabb a pass on days like yesterday because he's... well... he's McNabb. Put Campbell in his uniform and people are saying what a bust he is and how he'll never be an NFL QB.

Meanwhile, out in Denver, Campbell QBs a team with an unstoppable (at least for the Broncos) run game and a stifling defense and they put 59 points on the board in Mile High. Campbell The Bust has a QB rating of 127.9.

Of course, he did post a rating of 10.7 against the 49ers in a game I thought might end his career a week ago, so, I hear yas.

McNabb is not Peyton Manning. He's really good, fortunately, at avoiding sacks, which makes him invaluable behind our weak O Line. MAN, we got problems, but we're winning games and playing like a team looking for Ws. So far, it's enough.

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 25, 2010 7:38 AM | Report abuse

Wow Moe...sure is a lotta negativity from you in the wake of a win. McNabb isn't getting it done in the box score, but he's making it happen in the win column. To me, he's undoubtedly the MVP of the offense to this point. Considering the state of the O-line and the clusterf*ck of mediocrity at WR, he's got every excuse to be a lot worse.

I mean, dude isn't even halfway thru his first season here. I think he'll look better down the stretch...if not, I'll be right there with you. But I'd rather have a guy who starts slow and plays his best ball in December instead of the Romo-esque starting fast and disappearing down the stretch.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 25, 2010 7:38 AM | Report abuse

I TOLD y'all Fat Albert is the bomb.

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 25, 2010 7:38 AM |

dude, keep your shorts dry.

was that the bear's o-line we played yesterday, the same o-line that gave up 9 sacks in the first half against the giant's ?

Posted by: hessone | October 25, 2010 7:49 AM | Report abuse

Haynesworth returns with force
By: John Keim
Examiner Staff Writer
10/24/10 7:59 PM EDT
Albert Haynesworth returned – and reminded everyone what his impact can be on a game. In case anyone had forgotten, it can be quite big.

He displayed his strength and his athleticism in helping the Redskins beat Chicago 17-14. The Redskins wisely played him in the nickel defenses, eliminating the need for him to worry about the run. That leaves Haynesworth free to worry about the rush and enter the games a bit more fresh.

When Chicago tried to run with him in the game, the Bears would let him penetrate and run the other way. But it didn’t matter.

If Haynesworth continues to play this way, it provides the defense with yet another playmaker. They already have some in Brian Orakpo, LaRon Landry and DeAngelo Hall. They might not stop teams, but they can make plays at opportune times. In the past, they would stop teams but surrender plays at inopportune times. So take your pick.

Sunday, Haynesworth finished with three tackles, but he had a sack, two tackles for a loss, and two quarterback hurries.

Two plays stood out and it’s hard to decide which was more impressive:

1. On Chicago’s second series, Haynesworth simply drove guard Chris Williams back and shoved him into Jay Cutler, knocking him over for a sack. A pure display of power that forced a punt.

2. OK, this has to be more impressive as a 335-pound guy launched himself over the top to get the quarterback on a third and goal. Eventually Cutler fumbled on the play. Haynesworth simply guessed correctly. He said he anticipated the Bears going low on him, based on what he had been doing.

“So I used that against them and jumped over the offensive lineman,” he told reporters afterward. “I’ve done it before when I felt someone is going to go for my legs.”

On a personal note, Haynesworth said it was a tough game to play; it was his first following the death of his younger half-brother.

“It felt good to go out and play and get life’s situation off my mind,” he told reporters. “When we were warming up I started thinking about it and it was kind of hard. I cried a little bit. I could hear my younger brother saying, ‘You’re crying over me?’ I had to dry it up and play ball.”

As for this season, he said, “2010 has been the worst year of my life. I just want to get it over with and keep playing.”

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/blogs/redskins-confidential/Haynesworth-returns-with-force-105644288.html#ixzz13N360NnZ

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 25, 2010 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Hess, as I said earlier...I grad AH's performance on a bit of a curve considering the opponent, but the Cowboy's line in Week 1 was almost as putrid and AH looked lost and disinterested. I don't know what it was about Sunday, but the AH that took the field looked focused and dominant...easily his best effort of the season and his performance reflected that. I'll give they guy props for finally showing...whatever his motivation was.

Now if he can keep playing at this level, our defense looks A LOT different...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 25, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Anybody who believes that 7 days ago Fat Al wasnt in good enough shape to help us beat Indy needs their head examined. Too bad Shanny's ego has been too large to let the $100mill man help us win some games. Hopefully he plays the rest of the way.

Posted by: divi3 | October 25, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

"...sure is a lotta negativity from you in the wake of a win."

I succeed at work because I'm the guy who spots trends.

I'm the guy who watches the other guys and figures out which guy is the most important versus the one who is the least productive.

Donovan McNabb is the most important least productive guy I see right now on the redskin offense.

Given the field position the redskin defense gave the offense yesterday, we should've had at least 2 additional scores.

And when you have an 'elite' quarterback on your side, you hope he gets them--and ours didn't.

We've yet to see at least one well-managed, complete 60 minute consistent effort out of McNabb in the way the raiders saw the same out of Jason Campbell yesterday.

If the bears offense doesn't give up 4 picks (something that hardly ever happens in the NFL), and turns two of them into scores, we lose that game.

We are barely winning and barely losing.

All of our games are close when some, like yesterday's, should be fourth quarter laughers of 32-14.

That's not negativity, my friend.

That's just the way things are trending.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 25, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Now if he can keep playing at this level, our defense looks A LOT different...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 25, 2010 8:00 AM |

I'll have to eat some crow on DHall's performance yesterday. throw the INT's to the side, he covered well. AH did play with some heart. hope the Dfense can build some confidence with yesterdays performance

again, it was the hideous bears offense.

Posted by: hessone | October 25, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

divi, don't get ridiculous dude...last week AH had about a day and a half of practice after being gone for a week. This week, he had a full week of preparation and you saw the result. Try and use a little perspective here...you have NO idea whether he was in mental or physical condition to play that game--and even if he was he wasn't involved in the game plan. You don't just throw a guy out there...unless your last name is Zorn...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 25, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 25, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

I agree!

Signed,
Joey Galloway

Posted by: monk811 | October 25, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

7 games in, do we have any potential Pro Bowlers?

Brian Orakpo

LaRon Landry

DeAngelo Hall

Chris Cooley

Rocky McIntosh

I'd say 3 guys on this short list are Pro Bowlers right now.

We'll see how this goes later.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 25, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Moe comparing McNabb to JC is laughable...JC was playing an awful Broncos D and was a footnote compared to the day that McFadden had. Don't let the Bears awful offense seep into what you think of their defense, which is actually pretty good.

Secondly, I don't think anyone has McNabb as an "elite" QB...I've said before that only 3 guys carry that title in my book: Brees, P. Manning, and Brady. I'd put McNabb in the next tier of players, and believe it or not, I'd do so based on what he's done in Washington thus far.

His numbers aren't impressive, but if you watch the games he makes plays that won't show up in the box score. Contrast that with our old friend JC, who put up decent passing numbers but seldom made any game-changing plays. Once McNabb gets more comfortable in this offense, I'd think he'll start to look better in the box score as well.

And if we're still having this debate in December, I'll join you in your apprehension about how #5 is trending.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 25, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

AH said he was ready to go and highly motivated last week. Was he lying? Who knows, but he certainly claimed he was ready to roll.

Posted by: divi3 | October 25, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | October 25, 2010 8:20 AM |

next up, playaction and the beginning of the nerd crap

Posted by: hessone | October 25, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Moe comparing McNabb to JC is laughable.

I wasn't comparing them.

My point is that even the weakest link has a strong day.

A play made that did show up in the box score was D Moore's touchdown on a play that--from we all saw--upset the Shanahans because of the outcome.

We are awaiting Donovan McNabb's strong day.

Still.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 25, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

moe, sorry about your baseball team, you and I can talk hot-stove in about 3 weeks...

I agree with moe on most of the other points....yesterday was 2009 revisited, Kyle playing the role of Jim Zorn, McNabb playing Campbell(who qb'd the raiders to 59 points), the offense throwing only to Moss/Cooley...this offense hasn't made much progress since the opening game, it goes in fits and starts, 2nd game out of 7 that they've scored just 1 offensive TD...I had anticipated more progess offensively...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 25, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

7 games in, do we have any potential Pro Bowlers?

Brian Orakpo

LaRon Landry

DeAngelo Hall

Chris Cooley

Rocky McIntosh

I'd say 3 guys on this short list are Pro Bowlers right now.

We'll see how this goes later.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 25, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

As much as I like Cooley, I'd probably have to leave him off the list, too many drops this year.

Whether he deserves it or not McNabb might make it.

I think Fletcher gets some consideration as well.

My sleeper is Santana Moss, he's quietly having a good year, and I bet he makes it to Hawaii!

Orakpo, Landry, and Hall are locks right now, with McIntosh's stock constantly rising.

Any takers for Lorenzo Alexander making it as the NFC Special Teamer???

Posted by: monk811 | October 25, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | October 25, 2010 8:20 AM |

next up, playaction and the beginning of the nerd crap

Posted by: hessone | October 25, 2010 8:28 AM

You're not a very good ITA'er hess...haha

And it's NERD...not nerd.

Busy day at the office...and monk is hogging the computer...but don't worry...I'll check in on you from time to time today.

Go Skins!

Posted by: PlayAction | October 25, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

next up, playaction and the beginning of the nerd crap

Posted by: hessone | October 25, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

We have a request!!!

Graham Gano = Inaccurate NERD!!!

Come on Hessone, you know you like it!

Posted by: monk811 | October 25, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 25, 2010 8:25 AM |

agree with moe

if McNabb becomes more accurate in throwing the ball you'll see better box scores and a redskin offense that scores more TD's, but until that day, which I haven't seen yet in his career, it's more dirt balls and missed opportunities

Posted by: hessone | October 25, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 25, 2010 12:18 AM

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 25, 2010 1:09 AM | Report abuse

Guess you missed the whole sideline argument thing with Junior after McNabb's first INT. Then Daddy came over and reinforced whatever Junior said and DMN just looked down and shook his head in disgust.

Guess you were somewhere else this week when insider posted about the Shannies were messing around with Donovan's footwork -- an eleven year all pro in the league.

Guess you enjoy throwing around concepts like "pulling it out of your ass" because it makes you feel like a big man on the internet.

But what do I know?

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 25, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | October 25, 2010 8:26 AM

If you believe a word that guy says publicly after that farce of an introductory press conference of his, I have a bridge in London you might be interested in purchasing.

Actions speak louder than words. And yesterday was the first time as a Redskin AH has said anything other than "I suck at life".

Moe, if you're awaiting Donovan's strong day, you must've missed the Texans game. Going for 426 yards in just your 2nd game in a new system isn't something to sneeze at, IMO...

I'll admit we've seen more bad Donovan than good...but for a guy who takes pride in spotting trends, you sure seem to be missing the most telling trend of all--that we win when #5 plays mediocre/bad and we lose when he plays really well.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 25, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

And it's NERD...not nerd.

Go Skins!

Posted by: PlayAction | October 25, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

I'm hogging the computer cause you've been in the bathroom for an hour, too much of Pokey the Monk's chili eh? By the way, light a match, the other monks are starting to complain!

Posted by: monk811 | October 25, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

beantown

"....yesterday was 2009 revisited, Kyle playing the role of Jim Zorn, McNabb playing Campbell....the offense throwing only to Moss/Cooley...this offense hasn't made much progress since the opening game, it goes in fits and starts, 2nd game out of 7 that they've scored just 1 offensive TD..."

Agreed.

We are not seeing what we expected, in my opinion, and with that being said, I don't see how you can justify extending McNabb.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 25, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

while I agree with this brown, we've seen a guy throw only 7 td's, on pace for a 16 td season...that JCampbell and I think you, me, and everyone else was hoping for SO, SO VERY MUCH MORE....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 25, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 25, 2010 8:41 AM |

I still can't justify signing McNabb in the first place moe

Posted by: hessone | October 25, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Campbell(who qb'd the raiders to 59 points)...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 25, 2010 8:32 AM

This is amazing to me...so many up here so all over the place with how they assess JC. I mean, the guy put up decent numbers here yet he was epic awful. Now he's in Oakland putting up the worst numbers of his career and now he's good because he rode shotgun on a huge day by Darren McFadden. Unreal...

Let's hold off jumping face-first off the ledge about the offense until this thing has a chance to play out...we haven't even hit midseason yet and we're acting like Zorn is back. If we're still having this discussion in December, I'll freak out with the rest of you. Until then, let's just be glad we won a game we would have found a way to lose a year ago...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 25, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

NEEEERRRRRDDDSSSS

The complaints are valid, if not necessary. But look at this: Every time the coarching staff focuses on an issue, the next week - we RULE in that aspect. This week it was picks.. we tie a league record (but Sammy did it playing BOTH sides of the ball, hehehe). The week before, running game. Etc., etc..

Maybe by the end of the season we'll be putting full games together. Until then, let's just keep winning.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 25, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

I hope the cowboy's lose big tonite so we can bury them for good and take aim at the giant's ourselves. we don't need help so badly that I'd root for the cowboy's

NO WAY !!!!! NO WAY !!!!! NO WAY !!!!! NO WAY !!!!!

Posted by: hessone | October 25, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

brown, was just pointing it out, no freakout....

can you admit though, that with a sub 78 qb rating and only 7 td's that you'd had higher expectations for both DMac, Kyle, and this offense as a whole??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 25, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Lol - Mrs. Shuttle was trying to make that point, Brownie... ...dallas fans... lmao.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 25, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

I have high degree of confidence that this offense will not be very productive this year. Part of it is McNabb, part of it is the O-line, and a smaller part of it is lack of skill at WR/RB.

Next year hopefully is another story but now the whole QB thing is cloudy and moving to center stage in the offseason.

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 25, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 25, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

I think people are starting to overreact. I mean, he hasn't even been in this offense for half a year yet. He still moves around well in the pocket and has a good arm. Sure, he's a little inaccurate, but we already knew that when he was still 2 hours up I-95.

Yeah, he targets Moss and Cooley mostly, because they are the playmakers on this team. He also targetted Armstrong yesterday, oh by the way he dropped a sure touchdown yesterday. He tried to go to Sellers a few times, and Davis as well. I think something that is flying under the radar lately is the dropped passes, and everyone is contributing!!!

Add to it that we've faced some pretty good defenses this year so far: Dal, Phi, GB, Chi
And some pretty good passrushers are on the other 3 teams we've faced. With the problems we've had so far with our offensive line it's a good thing we have McNabb this year, cause the OLD SOUP would be officially labeled "Vegetable Soup" laying up in the hospital with tubes coming out of him! His mobility has kept drives and plays alive.

I wish he would be more accurate and keep his head in games longer as well, but I'm willing to give him to the end of the year, then if he sucks I'll agree that we shouldn't resign.

Posted by: monk811 | October 25, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

If I recall correctly, I think that 1/1/06 game vs. Philly was the ST diving into the end zone to clinch the playoffs game.

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 25, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

brownwood26

Final word:

Let's just say this--the McNabb extension issue is vexing and complicated.

And it'll be worth watching in every degree.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 25, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 25, 2010 8:46 AM

No excuses...but the skins have played 5 of the top 10 defenses in passing touchdowns allowed, including the Bears at number one giving up only 4 so far. The Texans are near the bottom, and we saw what happened there. Projecting 16 touchdowns may not be quite fair.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 25, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 25, 2010 8:46 AM

I'm pretty sure I said up here in the offseason to expect JC-esque numbers from McNabb in this first year (3500 yards, 20 TDs), but more wins because McNabb's worth is valued in the plays he makes that DON'T show up in the box score. I'd be willing to bet everyone up here will take a season like that from McNabb if it yields a 10-6 record instead of the 4-12 we saw a year ago.

We need to stop expecting Peyton Manning numbers from our QBs here. We've won 3 SBs without that kinda QB and I don't get why nobody realizes that. McNabb in a winner and represents the best chance of winning we've seen here in the last 20 years.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 25, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

1yr removed from having the worst offensive line in the league, and with Joey Galloway at wideout....what reasons are there for high expectations? I think the playcalling is light years better than Zorn's mess....but the personnel is lacking. Put Andre Johnson on the roster and Mcnabb is probably having a big year. Or replace Rabach with someone who doesnt get blown up every 3rd play, and Mcnabb looks much better.

The dirtballs will never go away though, that just him.

Posted by: divi3 | October 25, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Final word:

Let's just say this--the McNabb extension issue is vexing and complicated.

And it'll be worth watching in every degree.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 25, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Looks like 20 words to me.

Just sayin......

Posted by: monk811 | October 25, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

New Coach, New experienced qb, and I'd say that the playcalling is marginally better...the offense has scored over 20 points twice in a 7 game stretch, and has scored a single td in 2 of the 7 games, so again, I'll say that after 7 games, I had higher expectations for the offense...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 25, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 25, 2010 8:54 AM

For the season? Yes. To this point? No.

As PA just pointed out, we've played some good defenses to this point. If McNabb has a day like yesterday against a JV outfit like Jacksonville, then let the freakout commence. But against a solid Bears D in Chicago's 20 mph winds, I'm not drawing a definitive conclusion.

My expectation for this season was to struggle early, and look a lot better down the stretch...not unlike 2005 when we had a mediocre 11 games then ran off 5 in a row. Regardless of reputation, if Shanahan/McNabb can do as Gibbs/Brunell did in '05, I can't imagine anyone being upset by that in Year 1 of a new regime.

Expecting anything beyond that is just setting yourself up for disappointment...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 25, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

I'm going to jump in the McNabb discussion. If Grossman had been the QB of the team, and put up similarly below average performances, would we want to be in the business of signing him to an extension? I'm happy to have McNabb going forward, but he's going to want top $$, and to date his play hasn't warranted top $$.

Posted by: TWISI | October 25, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

So right Diesel...

I'm getting annoyed of hearing about all the talks "we could be 0-7 if not for Alex Barron, Jason Avant, Mason Crosby, "a gift-wrapped" game yesterday.. enough already!

Look at all the games around the NFL, every single team has gotten some luck on their side, one play going a team's way changes the entire game. Pittsburgh should not have won that game yesterday! That's pure bullsh**! Miami came up with the football and they should've won 22-20. Bears also got lucky in the first week, Calvin Johnson had that TD. Say what you wanna say, we are 4-3!!!!!!!

Posted by: rachel216 | October 25, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 25, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

McNabb is doing what he does. when he played for philly he threw low balls, his accuracy has been an issue. But i am more disappointed with the Offensive Guru and his daddy and their offense. Nobody's getting open, and the rhythm of the play calls seems kinda off. I thought it was pretty arrogant to think that Kyle S. could replicate the offense that was led by Schaub and Johnson with McNabb and Galloway/Moss/Armstrong. None of our WRs are elite. Between inability to get separation and dropped balls, i would venture to say we have one of the worst WR corps in the league.Completely devoid of playmakers. AA13 with a CarlosRogersian drop of a sure TD ( by my count, at least the second one he left on the field). Seriously, folks spend their lives dogging CR22; a cornerback, for his dropped picks, but AA is supposed to receive the ball from the QB, he needs to catch everything, no excuse for the drops yesterday.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 25, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else hear Cutler's comments after the game? Said there's no reason to shy away from DHall and there's no reason to fear him...basically said he's not that good.

Except, of course, he picked you off 4 times.

So what does that say about how good Cutler is?

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 25, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | October 25, 2010 9:14 AM

I'm not happy to have him going forward. He sucked yesterday. We won that game yesterday despite his mistakes (and the mistakes of many others, especially the O line). He's got to show more in the second half of the season than he has in the first seven games or we should cut our losses.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 25, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

McNabb's getting pressured way too much. His poor play is largely due to the fact the oline can't protect him consistently. We used that excuse for JC, so McNabb also gets to use that excuse. He's also saved probably 20 sacks for us this year. I think the best of McNabb is still to come.

Posted by: rachel216 | October 25, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Who says Mcnabb wants to sign an extension? We've got Kyle Shannahan telling him he throws wrong while we're asking him to pretend Joey Galloway is 10yrs younger.

I agree with the sentiment that he's just a WINNER. Maybe not in the biggest of games, but overall he just does stuff that gets you into the W column. And if we had a legit deep threat the offense would take on a whole different character imo

Posted by: divi3 | October 25, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I predict a Dallas troll ranting about how we should have lost and how their gonna get their season rolling against the Giants tonight in 3....2......1.....

Posted by: monk811 | October 25, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | October 25, 2010 9:20 AM

I agree that he has to improve. Teams will continue to challenge him to make plays. All the excuse making about new system, Oline play may have some validity, bu there is a level of play (decision making) one would expect an experienced qb to play at.

Posted by: TWISI | October 25, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

How did McNabb suck?! His STATS sucked... they aren't the same. Man is getting all sorts of pressure and STILL manages to win games, largely without an effective running attack.

I agree with the critiques... not with the conclusion.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 25, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | October 25, 2010 9:14 AM

First of all, we didn't give up multiple picks for Grossman. If you wanna pussyfoot with McNabb and see if he's worth an extention, then you shouldn't give up two picks for the guy. You gave up the picks, give him 3-5 years to give you some return on that investment.

Second, Grossman has been in this offense going on two years. McNabb's had 7 games. Let's give the guy a chance to demonstrate a body of work before we decide he's good or bad.

And let's stop looking at incremental numbers to judge how good/bad a QB is...you know who the 2nd rated QB in the league is right now?

Ryan Fitzpatrick.

I rest my case...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 25, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that contract talks between the Redskins and Donovan McNabb are on track, but it would still be a surprise to see a deal this season.
McNabb's contract is up at the end of the year. He'll be 34 next month, but the Redskins don't have a "quarterback of the future" on the roster right now. Look for McNabb to eventually sign a two-year deal to remain in Washington.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 25, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 25, 2010 8:46 AM

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 25, 2010 8:59 AM
------------------------------------------
I look at how McNabb makes plays with his legs, escapes a collapsing pocket and gets the ball off in a hurry, and I ask myself if Campbell could have done those things. I think for the most part, the answer is no. McNabb cannot single handedly make this offense perfect, but he can make it better - and I think that's what he has done.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 25, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Awww...victory Monday! Love it!

Posted by: Devo2 | October 25, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | October 25, 2010 9:24 AM

A Big L tonight in Big D should finish off Dallas and the last of their trolls.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 25, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

I agree with the critiques... not with the conclusion.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 25, 2010 9:28 AM

Please explain to us how he won that game yesterday? I can see a case for D. Hall winning the game but McNabb? He threw a pick six that an experienced QB should have held for a sack. So what did he do that won the game?

Posted by: beep-beep | October 25, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Hahvid educated...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 25, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Seriously STOP comparing JC's stats with McNabb and saying JC would be doing better if he were here! You are out of your minds!!!

Oh and who are we rooting for? In terms of what would help us more we need Dallas to win. ICK. But I'd be 100x more happy if Dallas went to 1-5.

Posted by: rachel216 | October 25, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

A Big L tonight in Big D should finish off Dallas and the last of their trolls.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 25, 2010 9:31 AM |

Won't happen. Their "trolls" are sock puppets of one or more of the regular posters up here. They just come to excite Scamp, he$$one, rachel. They'll be here like all trolls until everyone ignores them.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 25, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Skins O-line is better than last year, thanks to Silverback. But it's still broken and fixing it is still the number one priority.

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 25, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

NO WAY !!!!! NO WAY !!!!! NO WAY !!!!! NO WAY !!!!!

Posted by: hessone | October 25, 2010 8:54 AM

Cosign

Knock out the pokes and set the sights on NY.

Posted by: edvar | October 25, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | October 25, 2010 9:20 AM

Cut our losses? Dude has us 4-3 with a patchwork O-line and lousy WR corps outside of Moss. And HE'S the problem? What do you think our W/L record would look like with Rex "The Human Turnover Machine" Grossman under center? Is it possible to have a negative number in the win column?

Holy smokes people...McNabb (basically by himself) has us 4-3 when we have every reason to be 0-7. Y'all are starting to sound like Eagles fans with better taste in team colors...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 25, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep

Well who you got as a better option then? Rex Grossman? Beck?

Posted by: rachel216 | October 25, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

I don't see anyone talking about Torain.

I love this guy.

Posted by: iH8dallas | October 25, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

brown, agree to disagree, I'd say that the defense has a larger role in the team being 4-3 than DMac.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 25, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 25, 2010 9:37 AM

He's not THE problem. He is A problem.

I didn't realize that Donovan McNabb and Rex Grossman were the only two QB's in the league. Do you mean that if we trade McNabb for picks in the offseason then we can only use Rex Grossman as our starter?

Posted by: beep-beep | October 25, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Exactly brownwood. All you people killing McNabb, give us a better option then.

Posted by: rachel216 | October 25, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | October 25, 2010 9:35 AM

A die-hard Skins fan doesn't root for either team...we root for a meteor leaving a smoldering crater where the stadium in which they play used to stand...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 25, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Somebody help me out, PLEASE!!! Derrick Dockery was inactive for the third week in a row,so what gives? i'm not impressed with Hicks or Kory L. so why isn't Lord Vadar(Shannahan) giving Dock a shot i mean he can't be any worse than what i've witnessed the last two weeks.

Posted by: dargregmag | October 25, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

BB, he was the QB on the winning team. Trent Dilfer wasn't the main reason for a stuporbowel victory - but he was still the winning QB.

Again, you want to critique his performance, fine - but he has us at 4 wins.

Saying McNabb sucks is just ridiculous. There's a league full of coaches who back me up on that one.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 25, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

All you people killing McNabb, give us a better option then.

Posted by: rachel216 | October 25, 2010 9:42 AM

Gee, I've heard of "building through the draft." Wouldn't it be possible to draft a QB?

Posted by: beep-beep | October 25, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

rachel

Which mind are you using today?

Obviously, it's not the one that thinks--or reads--clearly.

No one is comparing Donovan McNabb to Jason Campbell.

What folks are syaing is that given the hype that came with Donnie's signing, we hoped for more offense, efficient quarterback play, and compelte, well-managed games.

You know, the kind of stuff we didn't see with Jason Campbell running things.

Ooooops: there I go again with the unintended comparsions.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 25, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

McNabb imo would be useful to have around here until the QB of the future is drafted and groomed but that's no later than 2012 -- what kind of contract can you do with him with that in mind that he's going to want to sign? Honestly I don't think he likes it here very much.

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 25, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Re: McNabb

Yesterday was easily McNabb's worst game as a Redskin. He looked like he was pressing and he it wasn't just a matter of the occasional dirtball - dude was making bad decisions.

Why? Pick your favorite reason.

1) He is starting to feel the pressure of needing to produce/show more in this offense b/c of the contract situation

2) He was pressing b/c he's at home in Chicago and wanted to prove something to his home crowd.

3) He is simply not that good at picking up a new system after spending a dozen years in the same one in Philly - the learning curve is much steeper than anyone anticipated.

4) Pass-pro has been mediocre and the Bears pass rush was really tuned up yesterday - we played a good defense and they simply got to McNabb; can happen to the best of 'em on any given Sunday.

5) The talent level on offense is mediocre overall and now that teams have developed a book on this offense they are gameplanning better against it - not enough playmakers stepping up, not enough coaching adjustments.

Whichever combo platter of excuses, you like, McShanny needs to step up and start earning their ginormous paychecks, show us they are the savvy folk they are billed as and figure it out. A couple of my ideas:

1) Start leaning more heavily on the run game to set up the pass. Bears run defense is no joke, and Torain put up 125 on them. Not too shabby.

2) Elevate Austin and start getting Fred Davis and Banks more involved in the offensive gameplan to make things a bit more dynamic. Time to cut bait on Roydell. He's a total zero.

3) Start moving Santana Moss around in the formations - slot, run reverses, etc. He's one of the few bonafide playmakers on this offense, get him the ball.

Posted by: p1funk | October 25, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

ds, no one is saying he sucks, or at least no one with a brain is....but as Parcells used to say, you are what you are, and right now, 5 has a qb rating in the 70's, and has thrown 7 td's, in 7 games....again, all I'm saying is that I expected more.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 25, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

If a no-name QB was playing like McNabb is playing for the Skins right now, the discussion would be about how we must upgrade at QB to become a real contender.

So far, he has been un-clutch.

There are people here crediting the team's wins to McNabb simply because he's McNabb.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 25, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I never knew our schedule was getting easier. We have 2 "easy" games (detroit and jacksonville), and the rest of it is hell. Tennessee won't be easy, Philly won't be easy, NYG won't be easy, Minnesota may get their WR's healthy by the time we play them - not easy, Tampa Bay is no joke this year, and Dallas may not shoot themselves in the foot - not easy. You can't claim we've faced amazing competition when the second half of the schedule is potentially more difficult than the first half.

There is a difference between a Peyton Manning day and McNabb's day yesterday - a vast difference to where if McNabb was any decent he'd have an "in-between" day where he could get some drives going after the Bear's TO's instead of giving the ball right back to Chicago. At least that way we could have had a bunch of field goals, where it would have been as close to a blowout as we'll ever see. I didn't see the first INT (was still at church), but the one that was called back, and his second one was awful. Also, 3rd down efficiency was awful again. I agree with BeantownGreg - I definitely expected a lot more from lil' Shanny + McNabb. Whatever we do with McNabb, I just hope that we get our draft picks back. I also know that if McNabb doesn't turn into Peyton Manning for the remainder of the season, we had better not pay him top 5 QB $. Just like you all say Rodgers doesn't deserve top CB $ because of his inability to catch the football, DM5 doesn't deserve top QB $ because of his inconsistency and flat out awfulness so far this year.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | October 25, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I don't see anyone talking about Torain.

I love this guy.

Posted by: iH8dallas

B/c we are consumed with talking about McNabb. But I totally agree. When was the last time we had a RB rush for 100+ in 3 straight games? Torain's got a great chance to do it vs. the Lions. I just love that he never goes down on first contact. So how did he not make the roster in the first place....?

Posted by: rachel216 | October 25, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Again, you want to critique his performance, fine - but he has us at 4 wins.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 25, 2010 9:43 AM

No, Dik, he is the QB of a team that has won four games. Big difference from attributing the wins to him.

Saying that McNabb sucked yesterday is the truth. Find me a coach in the league who says otherwise.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 25, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | October 25, 2010 9:35 AM

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 25, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

I'm rooting for injuries all around...

Posted by: p1funk | October 25, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

How can any real 'Skins fan gripe this morning. Wins in the NFL are so hard to come by that every single one needs to be valued. Yeah, the Redskins didn't play a perfect game or even a great game BUT THEY WON and beat yet ANOTHER first place team.

The offense is capable and can grind out yards on the ground with the threat of going deep - which we could not do last year to save our lives.

No one in the NFC has demonstrated ownership of any of the top spots in the conference and the ones that were predicted to hold those spots got beat by the skins or are having trouble of their own.

Two things to hang your hat on:
So far this season, the 'Skins have handed defeat to Tony Romo, Kevin Kolb, Michael Vick, Aaron Rogers and Jay Cutler. Last I heard, these were all supposedly franchise QB's.

Also, this season still falls into the "If you had told me last year..." scenario. If you told me after week 17 last year that we would land Shanny, Allen, Shanny Jr., Hazlenut, McNabb etc., and beat the 'Pokes in week 1 and hold wins over the Iggles, Green Bay and Chicago to go with a 2-0 division record and a 4-3 overall record...trust me....YOU ALL WOULD HAVE TAKEN IT.

Smile, be happy, treat yourself to another cup of Starbucks and smile at the Dallas fans because - now even more than usual - they wish they were you.

JUST WIN BABY, JUST WIN!

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 25, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | October 25, 2010 9:41 AM

They're the only two that were available to us this offseason...unless, you liked JC that much.

Good QBs don't grow on trees. The only reason Philly wanted to give McNabb up was because they think Kolb can play. Otherwise, he'd still be wearing that ugly green uniform.

If McNabb is such a problem, show me a QB (realistically...not some "Brady for Betts" horsesh*t) that would be doing better in Year 1 of a new regime with a mediocre O-line and NOTHING at WR.

Fact of the matter is, you can't judge a QB in a vacuum...you have to look at what's around him. McNabb has routinely done more with less and that makes him the PERFECT fit here while we try to put some pieces in place on offense. I literally believe that there is no better choice to lead this offense right here, right now. That may change in a year or two, but to call McNabb "a problem" on a competitive 4-3 team with nothing else around him is awfully shortsighted IMO...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 25, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

BB, all of 'em. Even Troy was saying that the problems weren't of his (McNabb's) doing.

I have no problem pointing out a player's mistakes - but you sound like a Cowpatty. stSJKu, already. You're wrong.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 25, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Why are we complaining so much..we had 4 wins all of last year, we already have 4 through 7. It's time to celebrate!

McNabb did have his worst game as a Redskin yesterday. The oline and drops had a lot to do with it. And we're just going to have to accept the occasional dirtballs. I think he is going to have some GREAT games for us in the second half of the season... great as in like 3 TD games. BOOK IT!!!!!!

Posted by: rachel216 | October 25, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

pepper5

Groom?

Look, there are 5 very good college quarterbacks in the upcoming draft:

Ryan Mallet

Andrew Luck

Jake Locker

Cam Newton

Christian Ponder

I'd do like ther rams did with Sam Bardford and the bucs Josh Freeman and draft one and start him on day one.

Let McNabb let the people in Minn or Arizona feel happy.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 25, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

I think this is definitely true and a huge factor -- one of several reasons that Kyle and Mike might not be happy with McNabb.

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 25, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

So far, he has been un-clutch.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 25, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Not necessarily. It would depend.

If "no-name" were a young high draft pick, then we'd all be patient and give him time to develop.

If "no name" were an older high draft pick who has been with the team for several seasons rolling out mediocre performance after mediocre perfromance, we'd be asking to cut bait.

If "no name" were a vet pick-up with a long track record of success in this league, we'd be apt to give him the benefit of the doubt in the big picture and let him work his way into the new offense...right?

Posted by: p1funk | October 25, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

brownwood26 I'm not down on McNabb. However, I don't think the team should into signing this guy to a top 5 deal, if his play this year shows otherwise. It could comes down to over paying for McNabb on a contract or reacquiring picks in a trade for McNabb, both options are viable based on McNabb's play so far.

Posted by: TWISI | October 25, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

totally agree MistaMoe.. it's time to see Terrence Austin. Get rid of these two scrubs Joey G and Roydell W. Austin can help us.

Posted by: rachel216 | October 25, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

I don't see anyone talking about Torain.

I love this guy.

Posted by: iH8dallas

Posted by: rachel216 | October 25, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Ryan Torain = Stephen Davis Lite

Posted by: iH8dallas | October 25, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

You SJK-holes need some perspective. Try this:

Imagine you're a BEARS fan this morning. Cutler just threw NFL record tying slew of pics to DHall.

Now. Does McNabb still suck as much as you think? Frekkin' babies. You could still have JASON CAMPBELL.. you whiney SJKs.

And NO ONE (of any credibility) is saying Cutler sucks.

AGAIN - nothing wrong with pointing out the problems. But you're attitude is WAY askew.

You're supposed to have 4 wins TOTAL this season, btw.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 25, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

McNabb is gonna be our best option for the next couple of years. Yeah, he does have some off days (like yesterday), but he seems to make enough plays to win.

I could see signing him to a 4 year deal with the last year being voidable. Then draft a guy next year or in 2012 who can develop for a year or two.

In the mean time - get a big WR and BUILD THE FRIGGEN O LINE!

Posted by: edvar | October 25, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | October 25, 2010 9:44 AM

Yeah, we've got a good track record there.

Heath Shuler, Patrick Ramsey, and Jason Campbell send their regards...

So do the Ravens, Bucs, and Saints...you know, teams that won a SB even though they didn't draft their starting QB...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 25, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

McNabb had one of his worst games for us so far......but he is still the reason we are 4-3 right now. How anyone can deny that is blind.

Torain will def be a monster. Wait until he gets pared up with CP in a rotation.....

And watch Albert rip it the 2nd half of the season.

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 25, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

those are just stats. you know he has a
sh!tty oline and receivers like joey g, who doesn't even know the ball's coming his way half the time

Posted by: rachel216 | October 25, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Quick comparison.

2010 Skins.
Donovan McNabb 6th in passing yards
Santana Moss 5th in receiving

2009 Skins
JC 15th in passing yards
Santana Moss 27th in receiving yards.

Maybe the people complaining about expectations not being met had unrealistic expectations to begin with.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 25, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Saying McNabb is responsible for the Skins 4 wins so far is like saying Jason Campbell is responsible for hanging 59 points on the Broncos in just 3 quarters of play yesterday.

While both statements might sound true to the casual observer, neither accurately captures what happened.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 25, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Ahhh Rach - always makin' some sense.

& Beaner - yeh. I wasn't talking about the honest analysis. I was complaining specifically about BB's & others' qualification of our arm cannon as someone who "sucks".

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 25, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, we've got a good track record there.

Heath Shuler, Patrick Ramsey, and Jason Campbell send their regards...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 25, 2010 9:58 AM

So your point is that no team can draft a franchise QB? Well, the Rams, the Patriots, the Colts, the Giants, the Chargers, the Packers, the Jets, the Falcons, all send their regards.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 25, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 25, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Agree with the first part.

Not sure I agree with the second part; unless by "rotation" you mean "Torain gets 20+ carries a game and CP gets spot duty as a 3rd down back on passing downs"...then I agree.

Posted by: p1funk | October 25, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Look, there are 5 very good college quarterbacks in the upcoming draft:

Ryan Mallet
Andrew Luck
Jake Locker
Cam Newton
Christian Ponder

Let McNabb let the people in Minn or Arizona feel happy.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 25, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps this is best plan. I dunno, I hate the risk involved in this approach with so many other needs but the potential payoff is high too.

In the end I think it boils down to whether McNabb and the Shannys think they can work together and be successful for two more seasons. Evidence is rapidly accumulating that the answer is no.

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 25, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Leadership.

In all the talk of McNabb's mediocre on-field performance, I think it's important not to undervalue the leadership he's brought to this team - on-field and in the lockerroom.

After last year, this team was not just bad; it was demoralized and lost.

This year the team fights, they never quit and they play like they believe - you've got to credit McNabb for bringing some of that. He's a true field general and cool cat under fire.

In the lockerroom, I know he's played a role in helping smooth things with AH and get him acclimated.

Bottom line - coming out of last season this team needed more than just talent upgrade; it needed vision and inspiration from real leaders after 2 years of Zorn/Campbell who were about as inspiring as a soggy sponge.

It's hard to put a price tag on an intangible like "leadership", but it's impossible to ignore.

Posted by: p1funk | October 25, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

To everyone whining about our 4-3 start after last year's horrible season . . . you are all losers and our team would be better off without you as fans. Go complain somewhere else about another team. We have a chance to be 5-3 and 2-0 in the division by the midway point and off week. We should all be thrilled. We are completely rebuilding and our cupboard is still pretty bare. We are not a SB team this season nor were we ever going to be. But, we are winning and winning is fun . . . so shut the heck up already!!!!!!!! Hail :-)

Posted by: 4SkinzForever | October 25, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I think as far as Mike Shanahan is concerned, last year is completely irrelevant. He's got vastly different expectations than improving on Jimmy, Vinny and Dan's record. He's comparing what the Skins are doing now to a much much different peer group.

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 25, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | October 25, 2010 10:05 AM

Here you go again with the reading comprehension...let me break it down for you again. What I'm saying is that you don't definitely, absolutely, HAVE to draft a QB or build EXCLUSIVELY through the draft. You make it sound like that's the ONLY acceptable way of building a team and I'm saying you're wrong in that assumption--as the Ravens, Bucs, and Ravens showed us in the last decade.

It's easy to say "let's draft our own Josh Freeman or Sam Bradford" when you see which guys are playing at that level. God knows the Bears haven't had a legit QB since the 40s. The Rams and Bucs had to kiss a lot of frogs to get to the guys you're listing.

McNabb is the best option we've got for where this team is today. We can still draft our "QB of the Future"...all I'm saying is that day doesn't have to be today. Rolling with McNabb for 3-5 years and THEN getting the "QB of the Future" is a good plan and I don't see how you can spin that any other way.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 25, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

RI Poll Question of the Day:

Knowing what we know now about the 2010 season and player performances, which would you rather have?

A) Move up in the draft and take Sam Bradford - find a LT later in the draft or via trade/FA (like Jamaal Brown)

B) McNabb and Trent Williams.

Posted by: p1funk | October 25, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Fat Al Beeps!

Posted by: monk811 | October 25, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 25, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

You wouldn't think you'd be saying this, but Shanny is not running the ball enough. Young Shanny is a little too pass happy. He's got to give it more of a chance. Torrain had 90 yards in the 4th quarter. Take some pressure off of the line and especially off of McNabb until he starts hitting what he is aiming for. The running game is what saved us at the end on Sunday. We might not get 8 yard runs every time but it might keep the defense from sending the house on every play. BTW, DMac's accuracy has to improve as the season moves along. I know we've seen this act from the other side of the field, somewhat, but I don't remembering being quite so awful. I will give him credit for great leadership and avoiding the pass rush (Campbell would have been dropped 50 times by now) but some of his throws have been a zip code away from his guys.

Posted by: Jurgensen9 | October 25, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, need to run the ball to set up the PA pass, which seems to be the only way Donovan is looking comfortable these days.

Posted by: joeboggs | October 25, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse