Rocky McIntosh willing to make inside move in 3-4

Washington did not pursue Karlos Dansby, and Larry Foote left without a contract after visiting the complex this week, so it would seem the team still has a big hole to fill at linebacker opposite London Fletcher.

The Redskins appear to need another starting middle linebacker because they are in the process of transitioning from a base 4-3 defense to a 3-4 alignment. But there is an in-house answer, Rocky McIntosh said.

"I can play inside," McIntosh said in a phone interview the other day. "I've played inside before. It's no big deal. I can play anywhere. I did it when Gregg [Williams] was here."

The four-year veteran primarily has played weak-side linebacker in the 4-3. But when Williams was the Redskins' defensive coordinator, McIntosh said, "we just weren't a 4-3. We did a little bit of everything. Sometimes we played like a 3-4, and I was inside.

"I also played outside and I played end. I played all over the place. I played every position. I can play inside with Fletch. If that's where they want me to play, I know I can do it because I've done it before. It's not really that different for me."

Former defensive coordinator Greg Blache simplified the Redskins' scheme when he replaced Williams before the 2008 season. Under Blache, the Redskins were less aggressive in terms of blitzing than they had been with Williams in charge, and McIntosh settled into the full-time weak-side role.

McIntosh is coming off a strong season in which he was credited with 64 unassisted tackles (94 overall) and had two interceptions. He was among the most consistent performers on a defense that finished 10th in the league in yards per game.

In a capped year, McIntosh would have been an unrestricted free agent. But McIntosh was restricted under the rules for the uncapped 2010 season.

He expressed frustration last week because the Redskins tendered him a contract. McIntosh had hoped the team would offer him a multiyear extension.

"But you just go out and play when it's time to play," McIntosh said. "If they need me to play there [inside], that's where I'll play."

By Jason Reid  |  March 11, 2010; 7:35 AM ET
Categories:  3-4 defense
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Released by Redskins, Eddie Williams signs with Bears
Next: Redskins sign tight end Sean Ryan

Comments

Winner

Posted by: RedDMV | March 11, 2010 7:43 AM | Report abuse

Winner

Posted by: RedDMV | March 11, 2010 7:43 AM
------------------------------------------
Absolutely. Carlos Rogers needs to drink a little bit of what Rocky is drinking.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 11, 2010 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 11, 2010 7:55 AM | Report abuse

How could he pick up the cup with stone hands?

Posted by: JLaCanfora | March 11, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

I've also been hearing from the most intelligent FO that our team has had for over a decade. Restraint is a novelty around here that most haven't adapted to yet. I see the withdrawals everywhere on this blog. It is absolutely mindblowing how unhappy a lot this is. Not happy with blowing huge sums of money on every big name out there and not happy being picky and careful. No pleasing this fan base.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 11, 2010 7:55 AM
------------------------------------------
I don't think it is, as you say, withdrawal sypmtoms at all. I, like a lot of bloggers, just want to know what the heck the strategy is here. It's shaping up a little at a time, and we can all speculate as to what the plan is for the next few months, but none of us really know. That's the part that drives me nuts. Are they sold on Campbell? Will they draft a QB? Are they sold on Portis? Will he be playing for us next year? Will we go 3-4 exclusively? What kind of 3-4 will we run? What are they going to do with players who may not fit in the new defensive scheme - like Carter?

If the fans knew the Redskins were going to draft an OT or 3 in this draft, then they would settle down about the ones that got away. The team let a lot of players go without much in the way of backup. Everyone is nervous about that. We might not have our answers until well into training camp because I have a nagging feeling that a lot of our roster this year may be built with undrafted free agents or low round draft picks.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 11, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

The Maake signing is a calculated risk, as was counting on Rocky when he was coming off his big injury, and the way the club gambled on Chris Samuels and Randy Thomas last season. Rocky worked out OK, and we all know what happened to our offensive line. If Maake is even 70% of his old self, able to take half the snaps, it should probably be counted as a success.

That whole LB corps is thin. Fletcher is getting up there in years, McIntosh is a little fragile, and Orakpo is a SAM linebacker in Greg Blache's dreams. On the other hand, the Skins have a whole lot of pass rushing. We saw what that could do when the Giants relied on it a couple years ago.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 11, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 11, 2010 7:55 AM | Report abuse

How could he pick up the cup with stone hands?

Posted by: JLaCanfora | March 11, 2010 8:04 AM
------------------------------------------
Good point. Maybe they should give him velcro gloves and a velcro cup.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 11, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

BTW, if the FO decided to fill a third of the roster with rookies, it might be a smart thing to do. This is a rebuilding year and the perfect time to give some developmental prospects a rehearsal. I'm sure there are a few diamonds out there that Shanny has his eye on.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 11, 2010 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Takeo Spikes was interviewed on NFL Network. They asked him about pass coverage and how long it took him to adjust and really feel comfortable. He said it takes a LB about three years to really learn the job. Whether that was just him or a rule of thumb, I took from what he said that for guys like Chris Wilson and Orakpo it's going to take some time to be at the top of their game.

Posted by: skinfanman | March 11, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

"...if the FO decided to fill a third of the roster with rookies, it might be a smart thing to do. This is a rebuilding year..."

I endorse this idea simply because the team has suffered a lot of losing and disappointment.

Some fresh faces with little memory of 4-12, double-moves, Zorn's admonishments to stay 'medium,' fights with the falcons, St Joe coming and then walking away, B Jacobs rumbling down a sideline, D Jackson's returning kicks for touchdowns, 21's untimely death, and JC's fumbles would do this team well.

A little roster turnover ain't ever hurt nobody: 'cept the dudes who get turned over.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 11, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Maake?

How is this pronounced?

MOCK-kee
MAY-kee
MAH-YOC-kee
MAC-kee

Posted by: RedDMV | March 11, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinfanman

The good thing about this is that these guys have one year experience with dropping back into coverage. So as far as learning the 3-4 they're a little ahead of the curve.

I really hope they keep Chris Wilson and coach him up some more.

Posted by: RedDMV | March 11, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

ma-AH-kay key-moy-AH-too

Posted by: skinsfan0524 | March 11, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Good stuff from Rocky. That's the professionalism you hope to see in your players.

Carlos Rogers, on the other hand...he was definitely one of those kids who would blame the computer for "cheating" whenever he lost a video game.

Posted by: p1funk | March 11, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

according to PFT and Espn we have signed a tight end

Posted by: joevick2 | March 11, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Now they're moving Alexander to OLB. And we can see why Carter didn't care for the switch since it's a three year process to make the switch from DE. Maybe Haslett has a way to shorten the curve.

Posted by: skinfanman | March 11, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Snyder is under the control of Tom Cruise and the Scientologists. They are calling the shots. They have a plan to convert Shanahan to Scientology, and it starts with getting him in the building in Ashburn. ......He will be the first Scientologist Head Coach and instead of getting all this Christian stuff that Gibbs gave us, he will spout Scientology after each win. I'm not sure how that goes, but it includes a large tithe.

Now, again, I can't prove this. But you can't disprove it, either, so I'm sticking with it.

Posted by: League-Source | March 11, 2010 7:16 AM
=========================================

Religion is already in play at Redskins Park...

"Free Agent Passover".

(WaPo writers will "borrow" this in 3 days... hahaha)

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 11, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

According to PFT we signed Sean Ryan

Posted by: cwdryden | March 11, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinfanman | March 11, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

McIntosh is best suited for an ILB in the 3-4 he struggled (although improved) in space and is strong at the point of attack. He is just not as durable as you would like. Will his shoulders hold up on the inside?

Posted by: jtrob_1 | March 11, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Got to love the RMac Attack.

He may never be a pro-bowl or HOF caliber player but he is a blue collar guy, and they are the kinds of guys who can have a good long career just doing what they do best.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 11, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

"The Maake signing is a calculated risk,..."

True.

But you have to remember that he's not expected to be 'the guy,' so if he's a little dinged up, it's not all that bad.

He'll provide some rest and no drop off should Prince Al get injured.

Our attention, though, should flip towards A Montegomery as it's about time for dude to 'step up' an assume a more commanding role now that Griff is gone, and playing time has been freed up.

Kemo will be fine.

But things will be better if both Monty and Kemo can fill in a rotation of Daniles, Prince Al, and Golston.

And btw: I still think the team will bring another d-tackle/nt type.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 11, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

have to chuckle at this Headline on the ESPN NFL homepage..

"Report: Roethlisberger denies sex to police"

Wonder who was the most disappointed?

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 11, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

General info....
A former Center for the skins from the 50's died John Allen.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 11, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

skinsfan0524, much thanxs.

Posted by: RedDMV | March 11, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

And btw: I still think the team will bring another d-tackle/nt type.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 11, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

They definitely should. There's a couple guys that are expected to go undrafted. They should bring them in and see what happens. Demarcus Granger got popped for shoplifting and had some major injuries. He used to be a good prospect. Since we tossed a third of our roster we actually have room for a project like him. Travis Ivey could go undrafted too. He's a little undersized for the position but if he's next to big al he may be big enough.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 11, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

have to chuckle at this Headline on the ESPN NFL homepage..

"Report: Roethlisberger denies sex to police"

Wonder who was the most disappointed?

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM

Pretty sure it was Rapistburger.

Posted by: RedDMV | March 11, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

"Report: Roethlisberger denies sex to police"

I guess he's in trouble because he couldn't beat it like a cop.

(INSERT Lil Wayne's, "Heheheheheheheh, beat it like a cop, Rodney King said, beat it like a cop...")

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 11, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

According to PFT we signed Sean Ryan

Posted by: cwdryden | March 11, 2010 8:37 AM

Yeah, don't look to the Washington Post for news like this. Lindsay Czarniak reported it at 6:45 on Channel 4 last night. At least, I think that's what she said -- I wasn't watching her mouth when she was speaking.

Posted by: League-Source | March 11, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

From Schefter about Sean Ryan..

In an off-season when many expected them to break the bank, the Washington Redskins have once again made a small-time free agent signing that demonstrates they're going to be fiscally conservative this year.

As Schefter points out, in the first week of free agency the Redskins have now signed two players, Ryan and offensive lineman Artis Hicks. So much for Dan Snyder going hog wild in an uncapped year.

=============================
All signs point to a slow rebuilding process or could it be the calm before a blockbuster storm (deal).
Starting to miss motor-mouth Vinny (just for the news leaks..nothing else).

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 11, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

According to PFT we signed Sean Ryan

Posted by: cwdryden | March 11, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

So I guess good by Yoder...

Posted by: alex35332 | March 11, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

PFT reports Skins sign TE Sean Ryan. Just what we need another TE. I believe in being fiscally conservative but c'mon.....

Posted by: joeboggs | March 11, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Be ready for the dangerous 4 TE and a FB set.

We are running the power Flexbone.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 11, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 11, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Uncertainty is always uncomfortable, RSH, but we are just going to have to live with it. The last thing our FO wants to do is disclose what their strategy is. That would enable another team to trump us by vaulting over us in the draft, or stealing a FA that we want.

I don't think anyone is sold on JC, so we will add a veteran FA, and probably draft one also. What round? That depends on what other teams do, so there is no way of knowing. Even FO needs to have several alternative plans, so they can respond.

Portis will play for us this year, if he is in shape, which I expect him to be. Will he be starter? No one knows right now.

Shanny has said we will run a Skins D. It will probably be a combination of 3-4 and 4-3. Kemeoatu's rehab will have a lot to do with that.

Carter is a great athlete. There will be a spot for him in any D that we run. Last year he played a very high %age of plays. No reason not to expect that this year.

Yes, I agree with your newer post about having a lot of younger players, including a number of undrafted rookies, on the preseason roster. How many can make 53-man roster depends on how they perform. What I want are better athletes, faster and stronger. And more depth on the entire roster. Not a couple of superstars, but good athletes in all areas of the roster.

Would I like more insight into Skins plans? Absolutely! But I am loving the fact that we are being selective in our FA signings. It shows that we finally have some professionals making decisions in Ashburn. That makes me more confident about our chances in the next few years.

Posted by: frediefritz | March 11, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Brady Quinn is being shopped around. Think the 'skins will attempt to trade for him?

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | March 11, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

So I guess good by Yoder...

Posted by: alex35332 | March 11, 2010 8:51 AM

Yoder is our best blocking TE and he comes cheap.

Posted by: joeboggs | March 11, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: joeboggs | March 11, 2010 8:53 AM

So we can put you down as one of the guys who doesn't believe in upgrading the roster, competition at all positions, ...

Posted by: League-Source | March 11, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

According to PFT we signed Sean Ryan

Posted by: cwdryden | March 11, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

So I guess good by Yoder...

Posted by: alex35332 | March 11, 2010 8:51 AM
------------------------------------------
I wouldn't jump to any conclusions. If they are going to run a lot of two tight end sets, they will need at least four on the roster. They just dumped one fullback, which might suggest this is on their mind. Having Cooley and Davis out there, and various permutations thereof, could be interesting.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 11, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | March 11, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

I hope so.. that way we can be sure Claussen will not be selected with the 4th.

Rogers for Quinn anyone?

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | March 11, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | March 11, 2010 8:57 AM
------------------------------------------
Only if we could get him for next to nothing and I don't think that's the asking price.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 11, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: joeboggs

Its just a one year deal deal, no need to hyperventilate. The worst that could happen is he replaces Yoder for the short term. If he doesn't step up, he can easily be cut.

Basically its a signing to provide some competition at the blocking TE position.

Posted by: Predator48 | March 11, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | March 11, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Brady Quinn and 1000 cases of Met-RX for Colt Brennan.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | March 11, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 11, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse
============================
I think, so far, all signs point to 2010 not as the "Future is Now" but the "Future is 2012".
CAmpbell is set up as a win-win for the Skins.. No contract extension and dangled as an RFA. The Skins Front Office can then demonstrate what the market will bear regarding JC....
JC stays and Skins are thus in a better negotiation stance. If he does get an Offer and skins dont match.. its a winning scratch ticket.. Skins pick up a 1st round pick.

Smart move..
unless of course JC goes to another team and lights it up behind a real NFL OLine.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 11, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | March 11, 2010 9:00 AM

No, not at all. But, is it an area of concern on our roster at this point in time?

Posted by: joeboggs | March 11, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Rocky is a baller. he's one of those unsung hero types he just plays football. and has pretty good coverage techniques. If he would get to the quaterback he could be mentioned with the top backers. plus he played with the great #21 so i will never question his passion for the game.

HTTR!!! RIP#21 4EVER

Posted by: cpt55back | March 11, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Upon occasion some TE's morph into guards.

Posted by: Keyskonnection | March 11, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

beep beeep

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | March 11, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

wonder if the Sean Ryan signing indicates less than positive progress in Cooley's fracture?
Most unsettling of that injury was how it happened.. No contact.. just a reverse double move. No opposing player's weight or restriction involved.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 11, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 11, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Not sure. MS said he wanted competition at every position.

By the way, for the Terp fans, what are your thoughts about Travis Ivey, DT, 6'4". 341#, 5.23 40? Nice size for NT, probably won't get drafted. Does he have any value?

Posted by: frediefritz | March 11, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Pretty sure it was Rapistburger.

Posted by: RedDMV

Good one...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | March 11, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Upon occasion some TE's morph into guards.

Posted by: Keyskonnection | March 11, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

This guys gonna need to morph at least another 30 pounds. Perhaps we should put him at the table between the Mike Williams table and the kitchen. BMW can have the leftovers.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 11, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

I like this guy he was mad about the tender he received and still can talk about staying with the team and making sacrifices to whatever changes they decide to make unlike Carlos cant catch a damn cold Rogers. Crying and complaining about wanting to leave because of the way he was treated from past management.

Posted by: MrTero2U | March 11, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by RedSkinHead: "If the fans knew the Redskins were going to draft an OT or 3 in this draft, then they would settle down about the ones that got away."

& if we, the fans know, so will all of the other FO's in the league and our budding braintrust would cease being able to bargain from a position of relative strength. anyone who endured the G.Allen years should be used to more than a little secrecy and misdirection. why should the apple fall far from the tree.

Posted by: mdrockjock | March 11, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Maake?

How is this pronounced?

MOCK-kee
MAY-kee
MAH-YOC-kee
MAC-kee

Posted by: RedDMV | March 11, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Mah AH kay

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 11, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Capped year or not, the Skins need to step up to the plate and re-sign Rocky to a long-term deal. He's our only 'true' young LB of starting quality as Fletcher will be 35 this year and he's bound to slow down. McIntosh could be a strong starter for another 3-4 years and is a homegrown player who's kept his mouth shut and played well on a consistent basis.

I wonder if the Redskins would consider bringing back Antonio Pierce to be their other inside backer assuming he could pass his physical. He's only 30 and should have a good year or two left in him.

Posted by: wizfan89 | March 11, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse