Safeties will be playing it safe less often

One of the major changes in the Redskins defense this season will be at the safety position, where players no longer will fall into the traditional roles of "free" or "strong" safety.

Instead, they will be expected to perform at both positions and likely will rotate between the two from play to play, even as the opposing team motions in and out of different formations. The hope is to counter with enough pre-snap movement and disguise that the offense is not sure which defense it is seeing, and prevent pre-snap reads on where to go with the ball.

While much of the attention has been on LaRon Landry and the prospects of moving him closer to the line of scrimmage, every safety on the team said he is excited about the versatility of the position in this defense.

"I think schematically it's not as hard," safety Chris Horton said. "You don't have to play so many coverages, but now it's all about the disguise. It's all about what kind of look you're giving the offense to make them play kind of into your hands.

"As far as playing the defense, I like it." he added. "It's not hard. it's a lot of information to learn, but you can pick that up over these next couple months."

Horton said he is nearly recovered from toe surgery that has limited him this offseason, and will spend much of the break working on getting back up to speed.

"I've been off for a while, so I got a lot of stuff to catch up on, technique stuff," he said. "It's like trying to start up that old car again that hasn't been used for a while. So I got some work to do and those are going to be my plans over the next month."

Landry, meanwhile, continues to voice his excitement about playing closer to the line of scrimmage this season. The 2007 first round pick has bulked up this and said he was excited about playing for defensive coordinator Jim Haslett, whom he watched as head coach of the New Orleans Saints.

Landry would give few details about his role or how much he might be involved in blitz packages and a more aggressive scheme.

"Can't wait," he said. "That's all I'm telling you."

By Paul Tenorio  |  June 23, 2010; 4:00 PM ET
Categories:  3-4 defense
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Albert Haynesworth statement: 'I have always planned to attend training camp'
Next: Colt Brennan predicts 'success right away' for Skins

Comments

everyone go over to the bog to see a pic of vinny discreetly giving Shanahan the bird on alumni day...good stuff

Posted by: ae3td | June 23, 2010 3:55 PM |

Dude - you have been staring at too many HS yearbooks.

Posted by: BlackBagOps | June 23, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

This is not to do anything other than not to allow teams to throw at will on "Dirty 30".

Landry's brother is twice the player. For that matter, so is my dad.

Tell me I'm wrong!

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | June 23, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Landry is gonna be cracking domes this season

Posted by: meankeen03 | June 23, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Welp, ya did it, Black Bag. You killed the blog. Nice job... [ :-|

...jk.

Posted by: DikShuttle | June 23, 2010 3:51 PM |

Hear to say I strive to do my part to keep the blog lively and skintillating.

Posted by: BlackBagOps | June 23, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully this means more interceptions....as long as the receiver doesn't steal it back and run for a touchdown.

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 23, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Landry's brother is twice the player. For that matter, so is my dad.

Tell me I'm wrong!

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | June 23, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

you're wrong

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 23, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Landry's brother is twice the player. For that matter, so is my dad.

Tell me I'm wrong!

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | June 23, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse
________

If your dad is Ronnie Lott, then okay; otherwise, I'll say that LL30 has the edge regardless of his coverage shortcomings.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | June 23, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

"Hear to say I strive to do my part to keep the blog lively and skintillating."

BlackBagOps=beepbeep=talent_evaluator=chameleon not too good at hiding his ever changing colors and screen names.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 23, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

At least this means that Landry will be spending at least half of his time playing where he should have been playing all along. Damn those bastards who shot Taylor!

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 23, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 23, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Those sorry excuses for humans should be locked in a room with 30 skins fans for 10 minutes.

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 23, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

I guess they DO read the Post in DuPont.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | June 23, 2010 4:08 PM

Says the guy wearing a pair of self-macramed jean shorts.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 23, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 23, 2010 4:21 PM |

Always good to hear a voice out of Fartown. Or is it a noise out of Farttown? You can never be sure, can you?

Posted by: BlackBagOps | June 23, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Honestly, LL wasnt that bad, he was playing out of position. Put him back at the LOS and he wont have to pursue and cover as much, I think anyway. He was great before he was moved to FS and asked to play 30 yrds from the LOS lol.

Posted by: TheMeccaHowardU | June 23, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas

Dont joke about that...that game and that play in particular was iconic of the tragedy that was the 2009 redskins.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 23, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Says the guy wearing a pair of self-macramed jean shorts.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 23, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

What exactly does it mean to macrame shorts?

Is that just cutting off a pair of jeans to make them shorts, or is it more like bedazzling?

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 23, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

"Hear to say I strive to do my part to keep the blog lively and skintillating."

Posted by: MistaMoe

Are you saying that BlackBagOps is BeepBeep? Hmmmmm...

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 23, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Landry spending half of his time playing like a strong safety is better than him spending no time playing as a strong safety. Last season, they just asked too much of him and I think with this balanced safety approach he will be a much better player. Playing free safety in Blache's defense - which was essentially Buddy Ryan's 4-6 with some minor adjustments - was really demanding and the only guy who had that down was a guy by the name of Sean Taylor. Landry might turn out to be a pretty decent safety, but he is no Sean Taylor - and he wasn't drafted to be, either. If this coach just teaches his safeties to wrap up when they tackle instead of trying to take those "blow 'em up" body shots, I'll be happy.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 23, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm.... Landry was drafted by Washington and paid a lot of money to play Strong Safety. Suddenly he finds himself being asked to play Free Safety. Does he complain that they changed his role in the defense? Does he pout and demand a trade without ever having played a down in his new role, or even after having played a full season at the new position. Does he skip any manditory practices after being asked to play this new role?
Landry = Man
Fat Albert = Spoiled Brat

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 23, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I second the notion that he played out of position and am glad he made an effort but you have to admit he had an awful year and was a defensive liability.

By reading that he has bulked up, I guess he HAS to play closer to the LOS. How would that make him a better cover man? At least he's way better than Arch DeLuxe. I KNOW my dad can cover better than him, colostomy bag and all.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | June 23, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | June 23, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Dude, honestly you're wierd.

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 23, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Are you saying that BlackBagOps is BeepBeep? Hmmmmm...

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 23, 2010 4:34 PM |

Not even close. Back in the day I used to ream beep-beep's progenitor, talent_evaluator. You've heard of the ream of the ancient mariner haven't you?

Posted by: BlackBagOps | June 23, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm.... Landry was drafted by Washington and paid a lot of money...

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 23, 2010 4:40 PM

This phrase captures the difference.

One guy was drafted and developed by the team... the other guy is another team's star, a hired gun, with absolutely no Skins pedigree.

I never get too excited when we pay top dollar to acquire another team's superstar. I always prefer when we get a young guy with potential and develop him.

We've been burned way too many times in that "other team's star" scenario.

Posted by: Alan4 | June 23, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

"Don't get me wrong, I'm a 'Skins fan before anything, but Dirty 30 does a great impression of an ice cream cone getting run over by a dump truck."

Thanks for the laugh, I needed it. :)

I think he would be a good LB, honestly, and I hope for the sake of the team he is.

If he starts doing that "lead with his head" thing though I would not be surprised to see him on the bench.

With the lack of LB's here, they really need that guy to play.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | June 23, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended

Hey this gives me an idea! I'll bet if we put an ice cream cone out on the street in front of Fat Alberts house, we could lure him out and run him over with a dump truck.

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 23, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 23, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Fat Albert would then pull the driver from the flaming dumptruck and stomp his head out of the uncontrollable anger of loosing his ice cream cone.

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | June 23, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

too much fishing, too little color commentary, and way too many faux exchanges between the same person lately.

will check in when doldrums subside.

"With throats unslaked, with black lips baked,
Agape they heard me call:
Gramercy! they for joy did grin,
And all at once their breath drew in,
As they were drinking all."

waiting for fall weather... "A speck, a mist, a shape, I wist!"

in the meantime, HTTR and cheers all!

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 23, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

LaRon is so talented. He is strong, fast, and explosive. He just needs to be more disciplined this season and not go for the double moves. If he does that then he has the potential to be a star safety.

Posted by: nfcBEaST | June 23, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe

MistaMoe: Often wrong, never in doubt.

It doesn't take Stephen Strasburg to get you to swing at air -- even BlackBagOps got you down.

Whatzamatta, Moe, all these white bloggas up here starting to look alike to you? Probably you need to give yourself another vacation although I don't think you can breathe for more than a day without seeing your musings up here on RI.

Posted by: beep-beep | June 23, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Give Lendy Holmes a chance

Posted by: coparker5 | June 23, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone actually seen an interview with AH? I appologized to JLA and JReid, but now I take it back.

They are still quoting these "MYSTICAL" sources.

AH not attending OTA's is not that big a deal for a DT. QB, Rcvr, rooks and DB's would be a big, big deal.

Not attending a mandatory 2 day camp, fined $10,000.00, still not that big a deal.

When and if he misses training camp, then it becomes a big deal.

Patience is a virtue, even for REDSKINS fans, although, I admit it is on the far reaches at this time.

HTTR

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | June 23, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Programming alert

America's Game at 8pm on NFLN - 1982 Redskins

Posted by: noonefromtampa | June 23, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Landry's brother is twice the player. For that matter, so is my dad.

Tell me I'm wrong!

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | June 23, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

you're wrong

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 23, 2010 4:20 PM
------------------------------------------
IH8,
I think he meant to say his Dad will never be half the man his Mom was. How Landry and his brother got into the discussion is beyond me.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 23, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | June 23, 2010 7:05 PM |

His problem ain't white bloggers like you. It's the wiring in his cortex, or lack thereof. He's a Special Ed grad.

Posted by: PsyOps | June 23, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Programming alert

America's Game at 8pm on NFLN - 1982 Redskins

Posted by: noonefromtampa | June 23, 2010 7:57 PM |

Dude - how long do you expect us to live on past glory when it is going on two decades?

Posted by: PsyOps | June 23, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Two items of note from UK coverage:

1. "The moment sparked amazing scenes as the entire US squad joined in the celebrations. Even Clinton didn’t want to be left out, staying in the players’ dressing room party 45 minutes after game ended." Wonder if he ever got his team shoes.

2. Pure class, this: "Meanwhile, in the ‘mixed zone’ where the media and players mingle, tempers were running high after Algeria’s exit. In another extraordinary scene, veteran international player Rafik Saifi hit a female reporter in the face.

Apparently upset at something she had written prior to the game, he clouted the woman across the cheek without warning. She lashed out in retaliation and self defence, cutting his lip with her nails. He hurled a water bottle back at her but missed, before security guards piled in."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2010/article-1288885/WORLD-CUP-2010-United-States-1-Algeria-0--Last-gasp-Landon-Donovan-goal-sends-Americans-Group-C-winners.html#ixzz0rinvpXaf

Posted by: OWNTF | June 23, 2010 7:25 PM

Posted by: Vicc | June 23, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PsyOps | June 23, 2010 8:25 PM

`

I dunno. Some people still try and suggest using Gibbs 1.0 method for winning in today's NFL. *cough* periculum *cough*

Posted by: Vicc | June 23, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

"With throats unslaked, with black lips baked,
Agape they heard me call:
Gramercy! they for joy did grin,
And all at once their breath drew in,
As they were drinking all."

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 23, 2010 6:10 PM |

Dude - it rocks! ROFLAARP!

Posted by: PsyOps | June 23, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Periculum,

So I was kickin it ova at the Soccer Blog and somebody shows up with the following message and screen name...tell me it ain't so

?????

`

Can't get enough of these B O R I N G "Look, Ma, no hands, no scoring" soccer matches!

And furthermore .... ah .... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ....

Posted by: perryneheum | June 23, 2010 11:18 AM

Posted by: Vicc | June 23, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

hope dirty landry CAN wait when it comes to hitting people out of bounds

Posted by: DLESMonday | June 23, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | June 23, 2010 7:05 PM

Good to know you're still alive. This gives me the chance to type...

F Duke, you old lady.

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 23, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

What, no posts in the last 90 minutes? Find that hard to believe..

Posted by: beep-beep | June 23, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Hi Cindy, where ya been?

Posted by: RomoLongballs | June 23, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

"I don't think you can breathe for more than a day without seeing your musings up here on RI."

Thanks for the compliment.

It's always good to be called a narcissist by someone so obviously in love with himself he posts his own 'musings' under multiple names to avoid complaint.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 23, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Landry is gonna be cracking domes this season

Posted by: meankeen03 | June 23, 2010 4:15 PM

Yea, probably his own on the field goal post after he takes another terrible angle, whiffs on the tackle, and smashes into the post because he went for the kill shot without looking where he is going.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | June 24, 2010 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Most have probably already seen this, but for those who have not...

Posted by: Curzon417 | June 24, 2010 12:54 AM | Report abuse

"The 2007 1st round pick has bulked up..."

Regardless of his shortcomings, i like this statement. Punish 'em Laron

Posted by: MrTiger | June 24, 2010 1:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417 | June 24, 2010 1:47 AM | Report abuse

Imagine if Sean Taylor was still playing at DB along side Landry. Can you say shut down secondary....

Posted by: Bogus3 | June 24, 2010 1:56 AM | Report abuse

yo what is the deal with the redskins safeties and there toes!!! this little piggy went to IR...this little piggy went to surgery...on another note: to this day I miss ST21 and all the amazing talent/swagger this young brother brought to and gave the skins...it's a Len Bias deal all over again...it seems to happen around here a lot...God bless

Posted by: ronniecope106 | June 24, 2010 2:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bogus3 | June 24, 2010 1:56 AM | Report abuse

Bogus3 is right. How can you even put 30 in the same sentence as ST21? Landry is still living of his LSU days. He's done nothing in the NFL except suck.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | June 24, 2010 2:56 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully this will work out, but I can't shake the feeling that #30 is an incurable knucklehead.

Maybe the team plans using him as a hybrid SS / LB? That may keep him closer to the line, where he can do more damage and make fewer mistakes.

Also, maybe the lack of CB depth means that nickel packages will use three Safeties and two CBs?

Posted by: stevebeagrie | June 24, 2010 3:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | June 24, 2010 2:56 AM

I thought LL played well as a rookie when he was at his natural SS spot. He's struggled being that roaming FS that ST was, and when you keep him in the box he seems to do well. If the new coaches keep him where he belongs I don't see why the guy can't be a solid player for us.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 24, 2010 5:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 24, 2010 7:05 AM | Report abuse

Landry is gonna be cracking domes this season

Posted by: meankeen03 | June 23, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Yeah.. Like he did when getting run over by Brandon Jacobs...

Posted by: rlomax67 | June 24, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

"Foxsports.com ranked all the NFL players and the highest ranked Redskins are Albert Haynesworth (#56) and London Fletcher (#58)."

LOL that's FoxSports for ya. When footballoutsiders or profootball-reference.com ranks them, I'll pay attention.

Not much, but a little.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 24, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

HAHAHA that headline about the safeties playing it LESS safe immediately made me laugh as I pictured Landry n company letting receivers run ten yards behind them in several blown coverages last year. Aside from the immediate chuckles though, this new scheme seems like its geared perfectly towards the players we have, except for maybe that Haynseworth character. I think he could easily play end in this D opposite Orakpo and rack up the stats if he'd quit bellyaching.

Posted by: bosshog7169 | June 24, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

landry will be fine one thing he must do is keep his head up when tackling instead of running hard trying to kill another player with his head down and losing sight of the player, did that too much last season and a play against the cowboys witten (he went for about 60yds and he is by no means a fast TE) was one of the many times he did it. landry is similar to s. taylor, even after getting interception puts the ball away taylor carried it like a loaf of bread, but taylor was a better play-maker even he whiffed on a few hard hits but was a very punishing tackler.

Posted by: wathu19 | June 24, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse