Posted at 6:35 PM ET, 02/11/2011

Shaun Rogers meets with Redskins, signing is not imminent

By Mike Jones

Washington Redskins coaches and officials met with free agent defensive tackle Shaun Rogers on Friday, and no signing is imminent, according to a source familiar with the situation.

The Redskins are in the market for a nose tackle to anchor the line in their 3-4 defense, and Rogers, an 11-year veteran and three-time Pro Bowl pick, is considered one of the top defensive tackles available.

He was cut by Cleveland earlier this week and because of that early release, he is free to sign with any team before the official start of free agency, which won't commence until a new collective bargaining agreement is settled on between the owners and players union.

The 6-foot-4, 350-pound Rogers played sparingly last season while limited by injuries. Rogers reportedly has as many as 10 teams interested in his services. He is expected to command a contract worth roughly $5 million per season.

The Redskins' interest in him is another indication that Albert Haynesworth is on his way out of town. Signed to a contract worth $41 million in guaranteed money just two years ago, he was major disappointment and this past season clashed repeatedly with coach Mike Shanahan because of his unwillingness to play nose tackle in the 3-4.

By Mike Jones  | February 11, 2011; 6:35 PM ET
Categories:  3-4 defense, Albert Haynesworth
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Santana Moss's contract voids today: so what are the Redskins' options?
Next: Albert Haynesworth formally charged with assault

Comments

"If we were called the Washington Scalpers then I'd see a problem with it, but I have looked this up and have proof, our name is derived not from hate or racism, but from the actual PAINTING OF FACES using a RED coloring."

Any way yuo try and sugar coat it, you are so very wrong.

"The word “Redskins” derives from the genocidal practice of scalping Native Americans to earn a bounty. Certain parts of the country valued these bloody clumps of flesh and hair (red skins) as currency."

Ask any historian/teacher and they will tell you the same thing.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz

It is hard to take your point seriously when you just looked-up the needle-in-a-haystack article by some wacko leftist web publication and cite it as a reference.

The claim that redskins name is founded in genocide is about as credible as the idea that the term "cowboys" is racist and degrading because it implies that white people have sex with cows.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | February 11, 2011 6:54 PM | Report abuse

think 'redskins' is racist? what about cleveland's name??

Posted by: shabbyreader | February 11, 2011 5:09 PM |

Pretty sure Clevelands name refers to the color of something floating in a bowl.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 11, 2011 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Ask any historian/teacher and they will tell you the same thing.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | February 11, 2011 5:12 PM

ANY historian or teacher?

Seems like Ives Goddard, Senior Linguist in the Department of Anthropology, National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution would disagree:

"The actual origin of the word is entirely benign and reflects more positive aspects of relations between Indians and whites. It emerged at a specific time in history among a small group of men linked by joint activities that provided the context that brought it forth. Before its documented history can be traced, however, the false history given for it in standard reference books must be expunged."

Stop believing the hype from people with white guilt or an axe to grind against the organization. Do your homework. The word at worst is an innocuous grey area.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 11, 2011 6:59 PM | Report abuse

think 'redskins' is racist? what about cleveland's name??

Posted by: shabbyreader | February 11, 2011 5:09 PM

THANK YOU!!!

I've been saying this for years...how the Indians get a pass for a BLATANTLY offensive Sambo-esque logo and what is at best a politically incorrect nickname is beyond unacceptable. Their setup is far more offensive than anything in Washington, IMO...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 11, 2011 7:02 PM | Report abuse

If this team gives a 32 year-old NT with a history of injuries, questionable work ethic, and off-field issues a contract worth $5 million/yr and let their most productive WR (and damn near ONLY playmaker) walk away coming off a career season when the same price could keep him in burgundy and gold, then it's gonna be awfully hard to sell anyone the notion that the Redskins are in better hands now than they were before...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 11, 2011 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I wonder how many people would object if the team were called the Washington Negroes? Perhaps even with a spear-chucking Sambo character on the helmet?

While it might be just as offensive (if not more so) to some -- the name could also be considered more in keeping with the history, traditions and composition of our capital city. I mean, when is the last time we had an Indian tribe in Washington -- and when exactly were they exterminated?

Don't know how or why Dan Snyder just can't see how racist his team's name is to many -- and especially given the team's sad history with race relations.

Posted by: Vic1 | February 11, 2011 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1 | February 11, 2011 7:20 PM

Well, when was the last time some guy in a loin cloth with bones in his ears and a spear was in DC? I don't see how you could possibly say that's "more in keeping with the history, traditions and composition of our capital city." Just dumb.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 11, 2011 7:24 PM | Report abuse

"The term redskin doesn't imply superiority or inferiority therefore it's not racist. ...

POSTED BY: PAskinsfan17"

Wow -- that's just dumb.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 11, 2011 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Oh please explain then. How is it wrong? If it's so dumb you should be able to provide a reason or some proof to the contrary. I look forward to your lack of a reply.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 |

I'm with Sampson here. Some replies are so dumb they defy replying.

But I'll give it a shot. First, who made you God of Definitions? And in what universe are answers to complex issues so over- simplified?

Just one tiny example. The "N' word. To some blacks, talking among themselves, the N word implies neither superiority or inferiority. Depending on many factors, it can be a term of endearment, or a life threatening comment.

But if a white says it, under most imaginavle circumstances, it's racist...

Okay, another. "Redneck." When Jeff Foxworthy says it, it may well be funny. But if you have New York license plates, you might want to refrain from tossing the term around when you drive to Mississippi.

As for "Redskin," it can be deemed racist if a goodly number of Native Americans consider it offensive. I don't know your race, but unless you are Native American, you don't get to make the call.

If I'm not mistaken, SI or someone respectable did a survey of Native Americans not too long back and some 90% were NOT offended by "Redsskins" when it referred to the football team. Whether or not that makes it a racist term or not, is a complex issue. What is the cutoff point? 2%? 20%? 50%?

Posted by: TheCork | February 11, 2011 7:21 PM

good post cork.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 11, 2011 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Weren't the Cleveland Browns named after their owner, Paul Brown?

Posted by: cstevens30 | February 11, 2011 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1 | February 11, 2011 7:20 PM

While you're just flat wrong about the logo (there's literally NOTHING offensive about our logo...I can't even imagine what someone could take out of context on that), it's ironic that you used "negro" because that's about the Native American equivolent of what "redskin" is. Negro is not an offensive term, and at one point in the not-so-distant past, it was the appropriate way to address what are now called "African Americans". Truth be told, I'm more offended by "African American" because A) neither I nor my immediate family members are from Africa and B) it subtly insinuates that I'm somehow less American than white people. I just don't see where the term is appropriate if we're not calling white people "European Americans".

To me, the whole thing is less about race and more about the ridiculous oversensitivity this country is plagued with regarding political correctness. It really is a shame...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 11, 2011 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Ray - In the early days the football teams took the name of the baseball team's stadium they played in, that it why the Redskins started out as the Boston Brave because they played in the Boston Braves (later Atlanta Braves) stadium.

But in the 1933 when the team moved to the Red Sox's Fenway Park to play, the team changed their name to the Redskins because they didn't want to be the Red Sox and to honor their coach at the time, William "Lone Star" Dietz who was half NATIVE AMERICAN!

There was no malice in the intent of their name and stop spreading that Dick Gregory mis-information about the origin of the team's name.

Posted by: DaveLopan | February 11, 2011 7:43 PM | Report abuse

bw26- I've always brought up the Indian's mascot as well. The only thing it's missing is a bottle of hooch in his hand.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 11, 2011 7:44 PM | Report abuse

OK..... I think they should be called the Washington White Boys.... Huh.... Huh.... Good... Huh?

Posted by: mriley0223 | February 11, 2011 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | February 11, 2011 7:21 PM

Apparently, that's not the case either because I'm black and I'm still waiting on my vote on the "African American" crap...

I'm part Native American too...and even though I didn't grow up on a reservation, I see NOTHING offensive about the nickname. It would be one thing if we had a blatantly offensive logo like the Cleveland Indians, but we don't.

It's all PC madness if you ask me...nothing more.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 11, 2011 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 11, 2011 7:44 PM

LOL...exactly, Diesel. That sh*t is the equivalent of black face, IMO...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 11, 2011 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 11, 2011 7:37 PM |

Oh my God Thank you. A sensible man has spoken. this PC crap has done more damage then good. We're Americans, you may be black, I may be white but we're both Americans. This "African-American" crap forces an awareness of a difference between you and I. I see you as a man but if I'm forced to call you an "African American" in order to be PC then I'm being forced to acknowledge a difference between us where I don't really see one.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 11, 2011 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Hilarious to even think of signing another fat, lazy, "I can't play all game" defensive tackle.
Heck, even Haynseworth has more talent than Rogers!
He was such a cancer to Detroit that they wanted him gone and they couldn't win a game all year!

Posted by: familynet | February 11, 2011 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 11, 2011 7:52 PM

A-friggin'-men, dude.

Personally, I refuse to use the term and I call myself "black" when I really need to make the classification. Personally, I'm looking forward to a time when I'm just a man and not a "black man". Sure hope I live long enough to see that day come...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 11, 2011 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Mike Jones... never got to welcome you. Job can't be too hard, the last Bozo didn't set the bar too high! Hope you didn't pick up any of his dubious "sources." Doubt I'll be reading any of his new columns.

Posted by: iubiquity | February 11, 2011 8:00 PM | Report abuse

"Bullets were cool wizards are not"

I'd agree. Pollin changed the name because of the murder rate and guncrimes in downtown D.C.- What the hell was it in Baltimore and PG County?? And it's not like D.C. is a fine purveyor of non-violence around the world. Bullets is an All-American name...

"The most amazing property of those who cry racism is that the people who do it are almost always themselves racist. We should change the name to the "White Devils" and see how many of these PC thugs get hot-under-the-collar about that...hypocrites."

This logic escapes me, and I've never known anyone who is like this. I've known Native Americans that revile this name and those that could care less. The fact is , there are still strong tendencies in American policy that ARE racist to Native Americans, and they are abused and exploited to this day, regardless of any zomboid fan tendency to ignore the world around them.

(But there are also plenty who find the Hogettes offensive to women..and hogs. I suspect occasionally that it's a subliminal attempt to characterize Washington as a hoggish and greedy place..But it's mostly inoccuous , it came all out of fun for the Hogs offensive line , so who gives a f*** ..)

Growing up with the Redskins name , you just become numb to it. Listening to some Native Americans makes you wake up a bit.
The history of genocide isn't cool, and with continued bigotry and hatred out there, Washington is probably not the best place to have the name "Redskins". I came up with the name "Buckskins" once as an alternative when I was a kid, you could still call them the 'Skins..

But being something of an old punk rocker, you could call yourselves whatever you want- "Skatenigs", "The Butthole Surfers", in fact , the more offensive , the better..I can think of about 12 billion things to worry about worse than the Redskins name..

All I'm sayin', growin' up with it, "Redskins" doesn't bother me, in fact , it has an endearing toughness to it..But, that's just me...

Posted by: frak | February 11, 2011 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 11, 2011 7:58 PM | Report

So when are you changing your handle to blackwood? Or is that already your handles name?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 11, 2011 8:01 PM | Report abuse

We are talking about this again huh?

Well, I might as well throw in my 2 cents.

I don't care that my favorite team is called the Redskins. I don't find it racist or offensive or polically incorrect.

I wouldn't care if our mascot was a primate sitting on a porch, a person with a moist back, a person with a rouge-colored neck or anything else for that matter.

All of my gear says Washington Redskins, I don't want to buy a shirt with Washington Casino Owners on it.

But I do find this debate more intelligent than about 90 percent of the jabba up here.

Good work gentlemen, keep it up.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 11, 2011 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: familynet | February 11, 2011 7:58 PM

Um, Rogers was long gone by the time the 0-16 season hit the Lions. But hey...don't let fact get in the way of a good argument...

I don't necessarily want Rogers either, but to say he's as worthless as Haynesworth is crazy...at least Rogers doesn't lay down in the middle of the field waiting for a masseuse in the midst of a damn play...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 11, 2011 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Going to have a movie night with the girlfriend:

Any suggestions?

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 11, 2011 8:09 PM | Report abuse

My what an intelligent conversation on race relations!
Ah yes, this country was founded by racially overly sensitive folks!
Now that I think about it, Rogers and 'skins fans are a match made in...well, let's just say that it's a match.

Posted by: familynet | February 11, 2011 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Going to have a movie night with the girlfriend:

Any suggestions?

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 11, 2011 8:09 PM |

Ass Masters 13

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 11, 2011 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Going to have a movie night with the girlfriend:

Any suggestions?

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 11, 2011 8:09 PM

Roadhouse

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 11, 2011 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Hey cork, the definition I gave is straight out of the dictionary. I guess you could call that the god of definitions. You can argue with them if you want. Let me know how that goes.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 11, 2011 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 11, 2011 8:22 PM | Report abuse

You are cordially invited to a birthday celebration in honor of Coach Eddie G. Robinson,
on Sunday, February 13, 2011 from 4:00-6: 00 p.m. in the Doris Robinson Banquet Hall in the Eddie G. Robinson Museum.

Come help us celebrate the 92nd birthday of “Coach Rob “ and …tour the beautiful museum and celebrate his legacy.

This event is free and open to the general public.

www.hbcuclassics.com

Posted by: typrather | February 11, 2011 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, I LOVE the Washington Redskins...like a junkie loves junk..

Posted by: frak | February 11, 2011 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Going to have a movie night with the girlfriend:

Any suggestions?

Posted by: iH8dallas
_____________

Get her to sign a release first so you won't have any legal impediments to monetizing it.

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | February 11, 2011 9:09 PM | Report abuse

No to Rogers. Yes to the name change. It's just time. We long-time fans will always think of them as the Skins anyway. I almost always use the name Skins. It is tough to come up with a family friendly logo for that though.

It doesn't matter that we aren't offended by it, there are a lot of people who are. People, in fact, who were treated horribly in the history of this country.

BTW, I will always call the Wiz the Bullets. And I will always call the Redskins the Skins, regardless of their current or future name.

Posted by: NYPDee | February 11, 2011 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NYPDee | February 11, 2011 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Signing Moss should be a no-brainer..Too many holes to fill already..Rogers would fill a hole, but you can understand the logic of not signing till the CBA goes through..

If the richest owners want to force a lockout, it'll wreck the smaller market teams and their city economies that depend on the NFL..Football fans everywhere will go insane, and domestic violence and Sunday church massacres will skyrocket..Cannibalism will reach an all-time high, as will enrollment in child-sacrificing cults..

Posted by: frak | February 11, 2011 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak
_________

... and then there's the necrophilia...

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | February 11, 2011 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Funny how people are comfortable blogging about the racist team name "Redskins", which is a "no brainer"....BUT

Any other attempts to speak about racism in sports is met with crucifixion and accusations of playing the "race card"

...any idiot can see the Redskins name is racist and needs to be changed, but if we're feeling all Abe Lincoln "ish" let's have real talk!

Posted by: rickyroge | February 11, 2011 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | February 11, 2011 9:59 PM

Ricky, unless your definition of "no-brainer" means something completely different, read this and get back to me:

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 11, 2011 10:14 PM | Report abuse

" Every man has their albatross, mine's tuba."
-Redskins Band Motto, by way of JFK

Hey, Tony Kornholio, don't bite the kornhole that feeds you...The problem with you newspaper guys is that you believe evrything you read in the paper..'nuff said..

Posted by: frak | February 11, 2011 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Most compelling argument I've heard to pass on Shaun Rogers:

Tom Heckert sends a warning message about Shaun Rogers

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 11, 2011, 9:03 PM EST

Shaun Rogers may be one of the most underrated talents of the last decade, but the guy on the 2010 Browns roster was reduced to a part-time player that never practiced.

Browns G.M. Tom Heckert said that all the losing Rogers has done over the years has affected him.

“Shaun’s a different cat,” Heckert told Tony Grossi of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer. “Shaun’s whole thing — and he’s stated a million times — is that he’s never been on a team that’s any good. Every team he’s ever been on has been bad. Right or wrong, I think it’s taken a toll on him.”

Translation: Rogers half-assed his way through his last season despite having the highest base salary on the team. So it was easy to cut him.

Rogers’ first trip as a free agent was to Washington. Rogers has suffered through ten straight losing seasons as a player and the Redskins don’t seem like the best option if he’s concerned with winning above all.

“I think if he went to a good team, things might change. I don’t know,” Heckert said.

Rogers can probably be a productive part of a winning team if he’s willing to take less money. Players rarely make that sacrifice, though, so Heckert’s comments should serve as a warning to Washington’s front office.

They don’t exactly have a great track record with mercurial veteran defensive tackles.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 11, 2011 10:23 PM | Report abuse

While I respect your opinion brownwood, I don't know if it's good to make determinations of what's offensive or not offensive to other races.

Someone may find the term Negro, or "Colored" to be totally appropriate for African Americans, but I don't think anyone can tell me as an African American what I should and should not be offended by.

Posted by: rickyroge | February 11, 2011 10:39 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins freakin' suck. SO does LPD.

Posted by: NyallsStJohnSmytheIV | February 11, 2011 10:41 PM | Report abuse

What kind of gay ass name is Nyalls Smythe anyway? Fudge packer.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 11, 2011 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Weren't the Cleveland Browns named after their owner, Paul Brown?

Posted by: cstevens30 | February 11, 2011 7:31 PM

Yes, and the current owner of the Bengals is family ... after Paul Brown (d-bag) left Cleveland for Cincy.

Cork, down with Helcna Bonham Carter is a reference to the new Alice in Wonderland movie ... off with his head ... down with the bloody big head ... such as

The Skins logo rips off another people's heritage, has nothing to do with their heritage, but the people didn't get a patent or trademark or copyright on the image ... which is part of why Daniel Snyder really is the ideal successor to the ownership interest ... sucking every dollar out of the brand like sucking the meat out of a crayfish.

Posted by: dcsween | February 11, 2011 10:52 PM | Report abuse

At first I didn't think the team name was racist, but then Snyder bought the team. Now I know the team name is racist. And I also care more about it now than I ever did since Snyder bought the team.

This team will never win a Superbowl as long as Dan Snyder is playing NT!

Posted by: Vicc | February 11, 2011 11:01 PM | Report abuse

When will the league and players union agree that no salary cap is the only way to solve this mess?

So the owners think the players make too much money? Let them determine a players value through a free market.

Posted by: Vicc | February 11, 2011 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Oh hey guys theres a team called the cowboys!!!

Omg im so offended. How dare them classify us white people in that grohp im suing!!! Why??? Not because I personally suffered but because white used to have to work on farms n that aint right. I wont stand for a group of white people being belittled as cowboys. I demand there name to be changed....

See how stupid it sounds when a group of white people cry racism but any other group can complain all they want

Point is these guys cryin bojt redakins didnt suffer, if they did they woulda been scalped. So all thats left are the whinners so want a pay day. I dont care if they change the name of our team im just tired of people doing supposrdly the right thing for the wrong reason

If the native americans are really upset dont sue for money, go do like a real "redskin" would and pilage snyders estate n burn it down.

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | February 11, 2011 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Look, no matter who someone is they are entitled to their opinion. However, unless you are actually of "Redskin" descent then shut the @#$% up. My family and I are of Cherokee descent and sure what happened hundreds of year ago was terrible. But, living in the past is so droll and counterproductive that it literally sickens me. That is the reason I have left the city of DC, all of you jerks are so cravenly racist that everything offends you. Get over it and live together as Americans.

And yes, Natives had melanin in their skin (as do I) but that makes your skin a hue of brown. Red refers to warpaint. Some used the term as derogatory because they fought with my ancestors. But we do not fight now and the meaning of the word has evolved. I have literally heard enough of your saber rattling. If you can't get over the past then your future is certainly doomed by your own hate and closed mindedness.

Quite frankly, I hope you do meet your doom and rid the world of your arcane hate.

Posted by: ericroks | February 12, 2011 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ericroks | February 12, 2011 12:06 AM | Report

I agree with your rant but wishing others demise also reeks of hate.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 12, 2011 12:10 AM | Report abuse

I do not hate, however, I do wish for and end to this way of thinking. It has been embedded so deeply that no form of treatment can rectify. Reality is that their hate will die with them. Let's hope that future generations will shed this weight.

Posted by: ericroks | February 12, 2011 12:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ericroks | February 12, 2011 12:31 AM |

Reality is that there is a good chance they will pass their hate on to their kids.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 12, 2011 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Hope is all we have. When you lose that, you lose everything.

Posted by: ericroks | February 12, 2011 12:39 AM | Report abuse

When is Snyder opening Club Firewater at the stadium?

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | February 12, 2011 1:02 AM | Report abuse

Vicc, your free market idea would result in a 10 to 14 team league because the smaller markets wouldn't be able to compete and, eventually, would withdraw from the league. We'd wind up having another Yankees situation where they average a championship every 4 years. Boring!

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | February 12, 2011 2:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | February 12, 2011 2:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | February 12, 2011 2:28 AM | Report abuse

...Truth be told, I'm more offended by "African American" because A) neither I nor my immediate family members are from Africa and B) it subtly insinuates that I'm somehow less American than white people. I just don't see where the term is appropriate if we're not calling white people "European Americans".

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 11, 2011 7:37 PM

Funny thing is that I have on multiple occasions referred to myself as European-American when asked demographic info. Seems only right if we feel the need to classify others as Asian-American, African-American, or Native American. Of course, we don't say Latin American-American or South American-American because that would just sound silly, but I always thought Caucasian sounded pretty silly though, too.
The best part about referring to myself as European-American is the inevitable...."Ummm...ok?." from the minimum wage phone rep not equipped to deal with my humor-laced anti-racial answer.

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | February 12, 2011 2:49 AM | Report abuse

DC2AZ99, personally I lack the courage to face the scorn and exclusion that the majority holds for who I really am ... a Cleveland-American.

Posted by: dcsween | February 12, 2011 7:35 AM | Report abuse

But back to the topic of bias and stereotypes, my personal observations is that the NFL players who are 1st or 2nd generation children form parents who were born in Africa are high performing, strong character, leader, solid work ethic guys, and thus "safe" picks in the draft, if not coveted. Guys like Asomugha, Orakpo, Okoye, Atogwe, Ndukwe, and the list goes on (Akamura in this upcoming draft). I refer to these guys as American-Africans. I also recognize that stereotypes are unfair.

Posted by: dcsween | February 12, 2011 7:43 AM | Report abuse

Children from parents, not from parents (though the typo is accurate in other ways)

Posted by: dcsween | February 12, 2011 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Also, now I'm thinking the CB's name might be Nakamura ...

Kind of nice this early morning mono-blogging. Just me and some roosters out there staring at the screen wishing they could peck out a response ...

Posted by: dcsween | February 12, 2011 7:49 AM | Report abuse

dcsween = self poster

Posted by: hessone | February 12, 2011 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | February 12, 2011 7:49 AM

Cock-a-doodle-doo!

Posted by: beep-beep | February 12, 2011 8:21 AM | Report abuse

There are probably some Flemish-Americans out there waking and baking and watching the Manchester derby. Good morning, blog.

Posted by: SMACK1 | February 12, 2011 8:27 AM | Report abuse

I look at Snyder a bit different from some others.

As a 30+ year fan of this team, I can truly see the complete ineptness of Vinny Cerrato and the ripple effects of his tenure as "GM". Cerrato (and to some extent, Joe Gibbs) left this team in complete shambles.

Snyder FINALLY fired Cerrato and hired Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan. Shanahan has had some success (although not shown in wins/losses), and he's made some mistakes.

BUT...after reflecting on the last 11 years, there's no way in HELL an intelligent Redskins fan can say this team isn't headed in the right direction.

Take this post as an example...the Redskins brough in Shuan Rogers, but NO SIGNING IS IMMINENT. When, in the past, have the Redskins allowed a free agent to leave.

Sure, I'd love more wins, but it appears that the big paydays for mediocre or old players are over...and just for that I'm willing to be patient.

Posted by: rickyroge | February 12, 2011 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | February 12, 2011 8:29 AM

Nice take. Keep posting like this and we can't call you sicwidit anymore.

Posted by: beep-beep | February 12, 2011 8:37 AM | Report abuse

sicwidit, definitely headed in a better direction. On Rogers.Shawn, though, reading the different quotes about the visit, its Rogers who is saying not imminent ... and that he's not in a hurry b/c the CBA is about to lapse. No one is saying the two sides aren't or are interested in a deal once there is a CBA.

Posted by: dcsween | February 12, 2011 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Regarding the use of racist terms for team names....

Everyone who thinks that they have a God given right to not be offended in this world please raise your hand.

Because if you want to start down that path, it will not end just because you have won this single battle.

Any comedian/show/movie that tells a Greek or Polish joke is now fair game.

Watching the Redskins is not mandated by federal court rulings. You do not have to pay your money to the NFL or the Redskins organization. If you object to the name, then do not patronize that organization.

Posted by: oldnova | February 12, 2011 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Any comedian/show/movie that tells a Greek or Polish joke is now fair game.

Posted by: oldnova | February 12, 2011 8:39 AM

And watch out with expressions like short-handed, short-sighted, short-order, short-tempered, etc. Dan Snyder might slap you with a suit for hurting his feelings.

Posted by: beep-beep | February 12, 2011 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Mike Mayock, IMO the only media talent evaluator worth reading, on Cam Newton:

"...I've watched five of his game tapes, he's got a classic over-hand delivery, he's got a big arm. You and I in gym shorts at the local high school can throw pretty accurately so I would guarantee you he would look great in a pair of gym shorts, he would throw with accuracy and arm strength. His mechanics are very good but I would also [offer] one cautionary note, and that is the best pro day for a quarterback I ever attended was JaMarcus Russell. That same day, even though I admitted it was the best pro day I ever saw, I also said I wouldn't take him in the first round."

"...To me, there are two issues with this kid. Issue number one is he came out of a shotgun [formation], and if you watch the tape it's basically a very simple offense. One read and either the ball was out or he was out. Can he adapt to, can he process and assimilate a very structured and complex pro offense against a complex pro defense? And secondly, and most importantly, when you get to a certain skill level in the NFL, which this kid certainly has, at the quarterback position what kind of kid is he? Is he going to be the first guy in the building? Is he a gym rat? Is he football smart? Is he a leader of men? All of those things to me are way more important than any workout in shorts."

Posted by: Samson151 | February 12, 2011 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Just wanted to note that it's rare to see a group of sports fans having an intelligent, fair-minded conversation about a race-related subject like the Washington NFL team name.

This one seems to be no exception...

Posted by: Samson151 | February 12, 2011 9:07 AM | Report abuse

on Cam Newton -- the Auburn scheme included a whole bunch of designed QB run options. That's not going to happen in the NFL. At this point, Newton's more runner than scrambler. I'd rather see what he does in terms of escape-ability. And how well he hangs in there and throws under pressure -- he didn't see a lot of pressure at Auburn because he'd already taken off downfield.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 12, 2011 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Re: Shaun Rogers

Skins doing their due diligence. He'll end up with the 'Girls.

Re: Mike Jones' Insider Pic

JLa + JReid = Mike Jones

You know, like those composite photos that Conan O'Brien used to do.

Re: Racism and Names

New York "Yankees" anyone? The Britons weren't using the term as a compliment when they came up with "Yankee Doodle".

What did the Americans do? Kicked their butts and then used the little diddy as their own fight song.

And as someone who is part Irish-American, should I have it in mind to sue Notre Dame for their overtly offensive caricature of a goofy little half-human half-leprechaun with a temper?

Everyone is free to their view, including me.

IMO, everyone just needs to suck it up w/ regards to racism. Pretty soon we won't be able to call anyone anything b/c someone with a blog and an opinion decides it is offensive for everyone else.

If you find "Redskins" offensive, then exercise your right to not support the team/franchise.

And have a nice day!

Posted by: p1funk | February 12, 2011 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Samson--

Mayock says forget the workout and forget his performance at Auburn. Only two things matter:

1. Can he play in a pro offense?
2. Will he work hard and be a leader?

Posted by: beep-beep | February 12, 2011 9:16 AM | Report abuse

"We're Americans, you may be black, I may be white but we're both Americans. This "African-American" crap forces an awareness of a difference between you and I. I see you as a man but if I'm forced to call you an "African American" in order to be PC then I'm being forced to acknowledge a difference between us where I don't really see one.Posted by: scampbell1975"

Puh-leeze. You see a difference.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 12, 2011 9:18 AM | Report abuse

"Well, duh. Forget the past, only the future counts: How will he do in the NFL which is different from Auburn?Frankly, this doesn't sound very insightful since it applies to every player in the draft.Posted by: beep-beep"

What? You don't think it's qualitatively different for QBs?

Mayock is acknowledging two simple truths. First, that you can't tell much about a QB from a pro day (best tape I ever saw was of Jeff George). Second, that it's even harder than it once was to predict how well a QB will adjust from the spread-dominated world of college quarterbacking to the pro set of the NFL.

So where does Newton fall on the continuum between Sam Bradford and Vince Young? Reality is we can't tell.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 12, 2011 9:25 AM | Report abuse

That's the big reason IMO that scouts flock to an Oliver Luck and tremble about Cam Newton's prospects: the success rate of tall, running QBs has not been great.

The only counter-argument being that they've missed on plenty of pocket QBs, as well.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 12, 2011 9:27 AM | Report abuse

I'd be okay if the Redskins changed the franchise name - they'd still be the Redskins to me. Let's say they do change their name to something like the Warriors, but keep the logo. Next thing we'd know there would be a dozen lawsuits for damages to the "image" of the native American nations, and everyone would point at the fact that Washington changed their name because they knew it was wrong. By changing, they open themselves up for more issues. It's a pandora's box, is what I am saying. Changing the name would be an admission of guilt. If the federal government wanted to step in, they could grant the organization exemption from any future lawsuits connected with the name if Washington agreed to change it. If people were serious about having it changed, maybe lobbying their congressperson for an action like that would be a more effective means, but I think it is a small, vocal majority that even worry about the name, IMAO.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 12, 2011 9:29 AM | Report abuse

"But it's lame to try to assert a blanket viewpoint that everyone everywhere ought to agree with one particular view/take on the name and act one way toward it.Posted by: p1funk"

What's lame is to insist that one group of Americans doesn't have the right to be offended by an NFL team name and seek to have it changed.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 12, 2011 9:31 AM | Report abuse

You don't think it's qualitatively different for QBs?

Posted by: Samson151 | February 12, 2011 9:25 AM

Posted by: beep-beep | February 12, 2011 9:32 AM | Report abuse

" but I think it is a small, vocal majority that even worry about the name, IMAO.Posted by: RedSkinHead"

Read that sentence (above) again.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 12, 2011 9:33 AM | Report abuse

I think anyone thinking Cam is a finished product has been smoking along with Frak, Teams that are interested in him will be using the next couple of months to see how well Cam takes to pro level coaching, and to gather as much information as to make an educated guess on his character. Drafting Cam early in the draft will be a gamble on greatness and IMO only a coach that has a long leash will make such a move.

Posted by: TWISI | February 12, 2011 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | February 12, 2011 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, that would be lame. Anyone is free to try to argue their particular point of view in court.

But who is insisting that they don't have that right?

Posted by: p1funk | February 12, 2011 9:35 AM | Report abuse

what does the A in IMAO stand for?

Posted by: dcsween | February 12, 2011 9:38 AM | Report abuse

"No. There are high-pick busts at EVERY position. They were all exceptional college athletes in college. They are NFL busts because either (1) they couldn't translate it to the NFL game or (2) they didn't work hard enough.Posted by: beep-beep"

My turn to say 'duh'. The fact that there are high-pick busts at all positions doesn't obviate the extra risk for QBs (which is by consensus the most difficult position to learn). And 'they couldn't translate it to the NFL game' is exactly my point -- it's more difficult to translate college QB skills (spread type) than it is, say, to learn the Cover 2.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 12, 2011 9:39 AM | Report abuse

"But who is insisting that they don't have that right?Posted by: p1funk"

Who's insisting that 'everyone everywhere ought to agree with one particular view/take on the name and act one way toward it.'

Rest assured, that's not what the objection is.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 12, 2011 9:42 AM | Report abuse

"Next thing we'd know there would be a dozen lawsuits for damages to the "image" of the native American nations, and everyone would point at the fact that Washington changed their name because they knew it was wrong. By changing, they open themselves up for more issues. It's a pandora's box, is what I am saying."Posted by: RedSkinHead

This is also why we had to be in Vietnam.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 12, 2011 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | February 12, 2011 9:39 AM | Report abuse

I think the "bust" factor for QBs out of the draft is heightened, because if they can't hack it at their position in the NFL then there's no way to salvage the situation.

If a high-pick LT prospect, can't play LT, then you can try him at RT, or move him to guard.

If a high-pick CB, can't play CB, you can try him at a safety position.

If a high-pick WR can't be a #1WR, then you can make him a #2/#3 or use him on KR/PR.

The point is that w/alot of positions there is a "Plan B" that you can go to in order to salvage something from the pick.

But not really for a QB. The best you can do is make them a backup and hope your starter doesn't get injured for a long period of time.

Posted by: p1funk | February 12, 2011 9:46 AM | Report abuse

I can't wait for white people to be the minority. So people like Samson and Ricky Roge can understand that everyone needs to agree what is racist or not. These same two people get mad when they think something is racist, but a white person don't agree. Yet when a white person finds something racist, they act just the same(turn their head).

This is why a white person should be able to determine if something is racist against blacks. And vice versa. Racism has ONE definition, but self-righteous pricks like Samson is the reason why racism can't go away...People like him think racism against white people don't exist, and even if it did, he'd look away.

Posted by: MimiAnsari | February 12, 2011 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | February 12, 2011 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | February 12, 2011 9:49 AM | Report abuse

"You asked "qualitative difference." I said "no." Now you are asserting that there is a quantitative difference. Never mind. We have a failure to communicate.Posted by: beep-beep"

I consider that a qualitative difference.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 12, 2011 9:51 AM | Report abuse

"I can't wait for white people to be the minority."

As of yesterday's paper, they are in Montgomery County.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 12, 2011 9:51 AM | Report abuse

"But who is insisting that they don't have that right?Posted by: p1funk"

Rest assured, that's not what the objection is.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 12, 2011 9:42 AM | Report abuse

People who say - "The name 'Redskins' is racist."

Posted by: p1funk | February 12, 2011 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Puh-leeze. You see a difference.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 12, 2011 9:18 AM

I'm glad you do my thinking for me. You see a difference, I see a man. That's why you're a racist and I'm an American.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 12, 2011 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | February 12, 2011 9:14 AM

A-friggin'-men. Couldn't have said it better myself...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 12, 2011 9:52 AM | Report abuse

And this is my biggest concern about Cam Newton fulfilling his potential. Just like Devin Thomas last year, Shanny would not want a guy whose outside interests are just a important as football is to that player.

==================================================

02/02/2011 - IMG Worldwide, the premier global sports, entertainment and media company, announced today that it has signed superstar quarterback for the Auburn University football Tigers, Cam Newton, for marketing, sponsorships and endorsements. Under the terms of the exclusive multi-year agreement, IMG will represent Newton in the development, negotiation, organization and administration of all licensing, Internet, multimedia, endorsement, modeling, speaking, appearance, film, television, theatrical, broadcast, literary opportunities and similar activities. IMG will not represent Cam for his on field player contract. ""We are extremely pleased to have Cam as an IMG marketing client," said Sandy Montag, Senior Corporate Vice President of IMG Sports and Entertainment. "We anticipate that Cam will be of great interest to companies and brands that want to associate with a proven winner to help grow their businesses. Carlos Fleming, IMG Vice President will manage the global team at IMG that will support Newton's off-field business. He will work in a closely coordinated and cooperative effort with Perennial Sports and Entertainment and B.C. Sports, who will be jointly representing Newton for his NFL contract negotiations, with Tony Paige, Bus Cook and Chitta Mallik serving as his NFL agents. - IMG Academies

Posted by: TWISI | February 12, 2011 9:53 AM | Report abuse

"...self-righteous pricks like Samson is the reason why racism can't go away...People like him think racism against white people don't exist, and even if it did, he'd look away.Posted by: MimiAnsari"

I'm going to let the above stand for itself. I couldn't think of what to say about it anyway.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 12, 2011 9:54 AM | Report abuse

There are more than enough discriminatory NFL team names.

The 49ers? Nose pickers shouldn't be belittled like this.

the Packers? That's what scamp calls Nyalls St John Smythe, clearly to make fun of his sexual preference.

The Steelers? Like "steeling" a girls snatch when she says no.

The Bengals? I think they prefer to be called Tigers.

I'm just saying.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 12, 2011 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 12, 2011 9:52 AM

---

So simple, yet so correct. This is completely gonna go over his head scampbell.

Posted by: MimiAnsari | February 12, 2011 9:57 AM | Report abuse

"They are making an absolute declarative statement. By doing so, they are placing an expectation on everyone everywhere to agree and react to it in one way.Posted by: p1funk"

Another word for 'absolute declarative statement': opinion. They're expressing an opinion, in public, that the name is offensive to them, on the basis of race or ethnicity.

And they think they're right. Just as you think that you are.

"It's a different thing to say in court of that the name is offensive in a racial way to a particular group in violation of a law that is in place. Posted by: p1funk"

And they have a right to say that, too.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 12, 2011 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Puh-leeze. You see a difference.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 12, 2011 9:18 AM

Oh, and let me be clear, I definitely see a difference between you and I. I ca count at least three with out ever having met you.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 12, 2011 10:00 AM | Report abuse

The Problem scampbell is that samson want's to see the difference. He's a self righteous schemer telling us what is racist and what is not to benefit a certain agenda.

Posted by: MimiAnsari | February 12, 2011 10:00 AM | Report abuse

"You see a difference, I see a man. That's why you're a racist and I'm an American."
Posted by: scampbell1975"

Actually, we both see a man; but one of us can also see his skin color, while the other is blind.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 12, 2011 10:02 AM | Report abuse

rickyroge is the same way. He always cries racism out when it goes one way. Like it only goes one way. And then when an outsider tries to determine whether his claim is valid based on the definition of racism, ricky has the nerve to try and say that only he can determine if it's racist or not and nobody else can.

Posted by: MimiAnsari | February 12, 2011 10:03 AM | Report abuse

"That's why you're a racist and I'm an American.Posted by: scampbell1975"

Almost forgot -- resorting to name-calling and wrapping yourself in the flag are generally signs of trying to cover up a weak argument. You probably want to stop that.

But if you feel like continuing, check out that Green Day video from MimiAnsari.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 12, 2011 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | February 12, 2011 10:02 AM |

Actually you're both. I can clearly see you are not a man I would ever want to know as you are quite obviously not intelligent or worth knowing. Have fun arguing with your own neanderthalic ideals from here on out.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 12, 2011 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Sorry guy, have to go for the moment. Back as soon as we resolve the situation in Egypt. I'm sure this argument will still be going on.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 12, 2011 10:06 AM | Report abuse

"I can clearly see you are not a man I would ever want to know as you are quite obviously not intelligent or worth knowing. Have fun arguing with your own neanderthalic ideals from here on out.Posted by: scampbell1975"

LOL I couldn't resist -- say hello to the other trogs when you see them.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 12, 2011 10:07 AM | Report abuse

And they think they're right. Just as you think that you are.

And they have a right to say that, too.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 12, 2011 9:58 AM | Report abuse

There's a fundamental difference between statements of opinion and statements of fact.

There is a difference between the assertions.

"The name 'Redskins' is racist."

and

But if you are going to start to tab the "anyone has the right to say anything, including you and me" approach, well fine.

Let's just stop the circular discussion now.

Posted by: p1funk | February 12, 2011 10:13 AM | Report abuse

LOL I couldn't resist -- say hello to the other trogs when you see them.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 12, 2011 10:07 AM |

I doubt I'll be running into your family anytime soon.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 12, 2011 10:18 AM | Report abuse

mimiansari is a flame baiter, and wow he's having a good day today. He's a sock puppet of an infrequent poster up here. Wonder whose sock puppet he could be? ITA.

Posted by: beep-beep | February 12, 2011 10:19 AM | Report abuse

So if I cosign another's argument, meaning we think the same way, does that make scampbell a flame baiter? A=B B=C therfor A=C?

Posted by: MimiAnsari | February 12, 2011 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Allow some Indians to open up a Casino at FedEx Field, tax free, and call it even.

Problem solved everyone STFU.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 12, 2011 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | February 12, 2011 9:39 AM | Report abuse

I consider that a qualitative difference.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 12, 2011 9:51 AM

Samson, "extra risk" is a quantitative difference, not a qualitative difference. Do you consider $49 to be qualitatively different from $50?

Posted by: beep-beep | February 12, 2011 10:27 AM | Report abuse

beep-beep howabout this: The biggest problem with racism in this country is that the People who frequently cry racism only do so when it happens to their race. If they really cared about racism they'd call it out no matter which way it was directed.

Posted by: MimiAnsari | February 12, 2011 10:32 AM | Report abuse

This race discussion went from semi-intelligent, to funny and now it's simply retarded.

Wait, am I supposed to say handicapped, challenged or special?

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 12, 2011 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Damn, I think I got this thread started off on the wrong foot.

Ahem.

So does anyone see Plax as being this years version of Michael Vick?

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | February 12, 2011 11:53 AM | Report abuse

So does anyone see Plax as being this years version of Michael Vick?

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | February 12, 2011 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Good question, Plax gets out soon doesn't he?

I think maybe we take a look at him. It's not like he's going to command Larry Fitzgerald type money.

Actually, I think it's a great idea.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 12, 2011 11:56 AM | Report abuse

ave fun arguing with your own neanderthalic ideals from here on out.

Posted by: scampbell1975

Hoo, Homo Robustus?? They've found they were actually as soulful and elaborate a batch as Homo Gracilis..At least they never invented Earth's Doom, A-Bombs, PCBs , Sarah Palin and the like..The fact is, everything has consciousness, from the Eagle and the Bear, to the Sky and the Mountains, to the escalator and the bubblegum skunk..And everything transforms (see Egypt)..If changing the name of the Redskins would lower bigotry and hate in the world, then do it, but its not a wholly offensive name, just to a small minority, I think...Plenty of more pressing issues on the newsstands (like the Mideast, the dying Earth and oceans, etc.)..GO SKINS!!..(me favorite activity afore the nukes hit)...

Posted by: frak | February 12, 2011 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Scamp the color blind idealist. Too funny. Change your screen name to Shadesofgray.

Posted by: mack1 | February 12, 2011 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, IH8, give Plaxico a go, he could fill a malor hole (at least better then the one he's in now)..

Posted by: frak | February 12, 2011 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Yay Lebron James!

Boo the Haters!

LeBron James took a moment during Friday's game against the Detroit Pistons to fire back at a heckling fan who insulted his mother.

After hearing a fan sitting near the court behind the Heat's bench mention his mother's name, James walked toward the scorer's table and addressed the male fan.

"I don't care what you say to me. I don't give a [expletive] what you say," James said to the fan. "But don't be disrespectful."

The exchange came during a break in action with 1.7 seconds left in the first quarter and was picked up by television microphones.

James responded to the fan, who shouted the comments within earshot of James' two young sons who sat courtside near the Heat's bench.

The fan, who declined to give his name to ESPN.com, said he was offended by James' cursing. He was also told by security to refrain from heckling the rest of the game or he would be escorted out.

Michael Wallace covers the NBA for ESPN.com.

Posted by: MimiAnsari | February 12, 2011 12:20 PM | Report abuse

So does anyone see Plax as being this years version of Michael Vick?

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | February 12, 2011 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Good question, Plax gets out soon doesn't he?

Actually, I think it's a great idea.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 12, 2011 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Monkeymayo - No. Plax dominating his position has too much to do with his QB and the offense.

IH8/hess - Pass. Plax is a bad idea for us. He's a better fit for a team that is a couple players away from competing for something real in the next couple years and that isn't us. I'd rather give PT to a young raw WR who has a shot of being with the team for more than 2-3 years, and doesn;t come with so much obvious baggage.

Posted by: p1funk | February 12, 2011 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MimiAnsari | February 12, 2011 12:20 PM | Report abuse

"Don't use that language with my sons sitting right here! That's {expletive} disrespectful!!"

Yup.

Pretty much sums up LeCrabDribble James.

Posted by: p1funk | February 12, 2011 12:25 PM | Report abuse

"Samson, "extra risk" is a quantitative difference, not a qualitative difference.Posted by: beep-beep"

LOL I consider that splitting hairs. Possibly to distract from the issue of whether a QB faces extra challenges transitioning from a college spread to a pro set.

Which BTW they do.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 12, 2011 12:30 PM | Report abuse

No way to know how much rust Plax has accumulated, but I doubt you could overstate how much he meant to that Giant offense in '07, and how hard it's been to replace the guy.

But should the Skins sign him? What, are we kidding? We still haven't managed to get rid of Albert and only recently disposed of Gilbert.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 12, 2011 12:35 PM | Report abuse

"There is a difference between the assertions.
"The name 'Redskins' is racist."
and
"In my opinion, the name 'Redskins' is racist." or "The name 'Redskins' is racist to me." posted by p1funk"

Yes, the difference is three words or two, depending.

They're all opinions. Determination of fact depends on the supporting evidence.

I prefer to declare arguments closed after I've had the last word.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 12, 2011 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I consider that splitting hairs....

Posted by: Samson151 | February 12, 2011 12:30 PM

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."

Posted by: beep-beep | February 12, 2011 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | February 12, 2011 12:21 PM | Report abuse

But when Vick came back, he barely played his first year. He would run some wildcat stuff, threw a couple of passes, but for the most part rode the bench.

Trust me, if we do sign Plax he will not take time away from Armstrong, Austin, Kelly or Moss(?). Plus he will be cheap as dirt.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 12, 2011 12:46 PM | Report abuse

SICWIDIT'S FAVORITE REDSKINS

1) Kelvin Bryant (I loved that man)
2) Dave Butz (unheralded)
3) Monte Coleman

Posted by: rickyroge | February 12, 2011 12:59 PM | Report abuse

er, me second favorite activity..

Unless Shanny has someone or something else in mind, Plaxico is the tall deep threat this team's been missing for years..And why are we so far away from a championship team, p1?? We beat the Packers last year (albeit at home, with a healthy Landry) and the Bears, and Shanny showed savvy in being able to adapt to injuries in the backfield and on the line..We're not as far as you'd think!!

Posted by: frak | February 12, 2011 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Shaun Rogers, Philip Daniels, and Vonnie Holiday. That would be an awesome D-line!

Posted by: coparker5 | February 12, 2011 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Muslims are the Warmachine's new "Red Menace" (thanks to their inside job 9-11)..Did you see those Egyptians?? They were nearly totally Western looking, they could easily pass for Turks or Greeks..Better find a new scapegoat, WM, the world is rockin' under your feet..

Posted by: frak | February 12, 2011 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Yes, the difference is three words or two, depending.

They're all opinions. Determination of fact depends on the supporting evidence.

I prefer to declare arguments closed after I've had the last word.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 12, 2011 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Right.

Thanks for the refresher on red herring and equivocation.

Posted by: p1funk | February 12, 2011 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | February 12, 2011 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Attaboy, Vinny.

Posted by: p1funk | February 12, 2011 1:16 PM | Report abuse

VINNY??? Jezziz, p1, that's low..Oh yeah, if we want to build a true dynasty, we might be a several players off, but who isn't?? We are just 3-4 wins from the playoffs, then once you're there, we go all 2010 Packers or the Giants a coupla years back and win the crystal ball..Vinny?? Sh*t, man, I ain't never dropped WMD on you, somebody tinkle in your Cheerios this morning??

Posted by: frak | February 12, 2011 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I thought the article was about Shaun Rogers and I'm seeing all these comments about racism.

Posted by: jfoster13 | February 12, 2011 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 11, 2011 8:05 PM | Report abuse
===========================================
Just to piggy back on what brownwood is saying. The Redskins are in no position to turn away anybody! Leave no rock unturned. Because I hope when this CBA is finalized and they can start cutting folks, I for one, wouldn't be upset if the team only had 15 people on its roster.

Enter the draft with a fresh slate, trade down maybe to get more picks, and rebuild with FA at value. Shanny may not be the answer, who knows, but if he gets rid of the riff-raff and brings in young talent, then his stint with the Skins in my eyes was a success.

Posted by: clark202 | February 12, 2011 2:25 PM | Report abuse

11yr. veteran who played sparingly last year because of injuries and with a tainted history is not the way to go...

For Cleveland to let you go says a lot and I hope management is listening...to sign this guy, no matter how tempting, is just a replay of the AH signing and many others...Learn from your mistakes!!!!!!!!

Posted by: pentagon40 | February 12, 2011 3:50 PM | Report abuse

"Right.
Thanks for the refresher on red herring and equivocation.
Posted by: p1funk"

Red herring: deliberate attempt to divert attention.

Equivocation: misleading use of a term with more than one meaning or sense.

Neither apply to the comment I made.

Although we could argue that you're equivocating in an approximation of a red herring...

Posted by: Samson151 | February 12, 2011 5:31 PM | Report abuse

There's nothing racist about the name Redskins you bunch of queers.

Posted by: Son-of-Washington | February 13, 2011 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Redskinhead-

You're right. This would open pandoras box. I believe it comes down to perception. If you percieve a discord between two people, then the discord itself has already occured. I don't know whats PC anymore. I don't use the phrase african-american for many of the reasons above- it automatically denotes a difference. If I were describing someone I would use the term black, or white, tan, whatever. It is a description.

The Redskins are called, well REDSKINS. If I were native american I could easily consider the fact that two storied NFL franchises are named in honor of my people. It brings at least some awareness of existance. As a kid I played in a baseball league where ALL the teams were named after Indian Tribes- I was a Sioux. We were Orange. I liked Orange because I liked the Orioles. I wanted to be a Sioux. The Mohawks were blue. I didn't like light blue uniforms, so I didn't like the Mohawks. We studied American Indians that year in school, and I found out that the Sioux were a great people, and treated very badly by our government. It made me more proud to be a Sioux because I knew thier story.

Now we have a bunch of people who think Redskins is a mean name. Maybe they are right. We shouldn't name a team after anything American Indian so everyone forgets that we as a people were very mean to them. We shouldn't have Cowboys because Cowboys hate Indians- everyone KNOWS that.... And and no birds. If we name teams after birds then other people will know what the birds look like and shoot them. And no animals either. We would have to make likeness of the animals for mascotts and that would be bad too, so no animals. We could use colors, but black, red, white, and yellow are out. Blue would be out but nobody is described as blue, unless you are cold. So maybe blue in Minnesota- or is that bad?

The thing is none of these things are bad, and everyone SHOULD know that. But there are stupid people in the world, and we can not help that. As for the Bullets, I think you had a pathetic organization that needed a serious facelift. If anyone thought you were going to see a Bullets game and be inspired to buy a gun and knock over a store, well...

Come ON PEOPLE. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

BTW- It's not that we didn't sign this guy, he had no reason to sign a contract without a CBA and ten teams looking at him. Not signing Moss? I am not sure I would sign a contract before a CBA was reached. If he signs for X and in three weeks he would have been entitled to 2x, he is a fool.

We should spend between now and March 5th studying the 1987 Redskins. That might be very useful.

Posted by: fireballhank | February 14, 2011 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Cleveland's team is named after Paul Brown.

Posted by: truthbeknown | February 14, 2011 2:08 PM | Report abuse