Tryon hopes third year is charm

The Washington Redskins roster could be described in a variety of ways. With an average age of 27.33 years old, youthful is not one of them.

One of the few young potential difference-makers for the NFL's oldest team this season could be cornerback third-year cornerback Justin Tryon -- at least he hopes so.

In the NFL, a player is usually expected to break out during his third season, when players typically have a grasp of the league both on and off he field. At wide receiver, the Redskins have a couple third-year players who hope to emerge in Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly. Tryon is in crowded group of cornerbacks and hopes he can also have a bigger impact this season.

"I'm looking to have my breakout year this season," said Tryon, a fourth-round pick in 2008. "This is my junior year and whatnot, so I'm really looking to make some big plays for this defense this year. I just gotta keep grinding."

He has to get past some players ahead of him. The Redskins have eight cornerbacks in camp but will probably only keep four -- maybe five -- on their 53-man roster. With DeAngelo Hall and Carlos Rogers the likely starters, Phillip Buchanon and Kevin Barnes have been getting plenty of reps with the second team. Tryon wants to build on last season, but has struggled at times early in camp.

The Arizona State product appeared in 29 games over his first two seasons, including two starts in 2009 when he recorded the only interception of his career. After struggling throughout his rookie season, Tryon had taken Fred Smoot's nickel job by the end of 2009 and in training camp he's competing with Phillip Buchanon for the same spot.

Tryon will do that while learning a new defense under head coach Mike Shanahan and defensive coordinator Jim Haslett.

"I've been getting the schemes down each and every day," Tryon said. "It's all new things for the nickel and corner spots so I'm just working hard. The schemes are wonderful. A whole lot of guys are gonna have a lot of opportunities to make big plays in the schemes."

Entering his third season, all in Washington, it's also Tryon's first season without Jim Zorn leading the way and he said the two coaches are far from the same.

"It's totally different than Zorn," he said. "Not to take anything away from Zorn, he's a great guy and whatnot, but Mike Shanahan, he's just totally different. His whole repertoire is different."

By Jorge Castillo  |  August 1, 2010; 3:30 PM ET
Categories:  3-4 defense
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Landry looking to be big hit in '10
Next: Shanahan cancels afternoon practice

Comments

Don't want him on the FIRST team, but he could be a nice depth player if he steps his game up.

Love what I'm hearing from Devin Thomas...we NEED him to be a solid starter.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 1, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

"A whole lot of guys are gonna have a lot of opportunities to make big plays in the schemes."

--Other side of this coin: A whole lot of guys are going to have too many chances to screw up big time.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 1, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

got to like a CB who has words like whatnot and repertoire in his, ummm, repertoire.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 1, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Thanks to all the bloggas bringing us news from camp, keep it up. Been busy all day and just now catching up.

Posted by: wireman65 | August 1, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Seems like there's a common theme to a lot of the player quotes. They all seem to be saying "I'm not going to come right out and say it, but Zorn was not a good coach."
Could Zorn be any further under the bus right now?
I like Tryon. He can be a great gut to cover the smaller and speedier WRs. I just wory about his size when covering the big, strong WRs.

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 1, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Great news about Thomas- Here's hoping he'll be another Rod Smith for Shanny!! He fits the mold..

Posted by: frak | August 1, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

You can't have enough guys on your team like Landry who just love the game and could have played in ANY era. Sure, he'll make his share of mistakes but he's going 100 mph when he's doing it. I'm glad to see they're finally cutting this guy loose and I hope he's up to the task.

Posted by: gtown85 | August 1, 2010 2:20 PM |

Why am I not surprised to see the biggest tool on the blog over the last few days to be smoking Landry's pole. Landry has been a horrible player showing very little intelligence. Waste of a draft pick.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 1, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

"He's got to compete everyday and he's got to win a position," Shanahan said of Thomas. "He's got to be better than the guys that are in front of him consistently. That's how you win a position.

The man can Coach.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 1, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | August 1, 2010 3:43 PM
Would you rather have a bunch of players that say "I want to be in position to make big plays" or would you want them to say "I want to be be in a position where I don't make mistakes".

To me, the first says "I want to win!" the second says "I don't want to lose". I'd rather have guys that want to be winners over guys who want to be not-losers. In my experience not-loser types tend to do a lot of losing.

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 1, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Nobel Peace Prize winner Mother Teresa said this

"America needs no words from me to see how your decision in Roe v. Wade has deformed a great nation. The so-called right to abortion has pitted mothers against their children and women against men. It has sown violence and discord at the heart of the most intimate human relationships. It has aggravated the derogation of the father's role in an increasingly fatherless society. It has portrayed the greatest of gifts -- a child -- as a competitor, an intrusion, and an inconvenience. It has nominally accorded mothers unfettered dominion over the independent lives of their physically dependent sons and daughters. And, in granting this unconscionable power, it has exposed many women to unjust and selfish demands from their husbands or other sexual partners. Human rights are not a privilege conferred by government. They are every human being's entitlement by virtue of his humanity. The right to life does not depend, and must not be declared to be contingent, on the pleasure of anyone else, not even a parent or a sovereign."

Is she correct?

Posted by: Debaitor | August 1, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

"Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 1, 2010 4:01 PM"

Did I hurt your feelings too because of my position on Shanahan's handling of Haynesworth? Grow up or at least try to be a big boy.

As I said, I HOPE Landry is up to the task because the willingness to be physical and intimidate is there. That aspect of his play translates to any era, imo.

Posted by: gtown85 | August 1, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

get lost masDebaitor.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 1, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

@Posted by: Debaitor | August 1, 2010 4:09 PM

Hey Baiter, I've got one for you.
If you choose to champion an infant's right to life, Will you continue to champion their rights if they turn out to be gay?

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 1, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

"Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 1, 2010 4:01 PM"

Posted by: gtown85 | August 1, 2010 4:18 PM |

Dude, you're a phuking retarded mongoloid. Get lost until you have something intelligent to say. You sit up here calling your opinion fact when indeed it is anything but. All you are doing is talking sh!t that doesn't make any sense to try and piss people off. That is the definition of a troll, which you are. Your opinions are about as logical as Zorn's coaching. I bet you're a Dallas Brokebacks fan that just trolls around on here spewing assinine garbage and then returning to your mommies basement to mast-tur-bate into piles of your own burnt hair. With this you are now relegated to perineum/skinshaveaGM/ITA status.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 1, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Repost:
The way I see it, Shanahan is giving Fat Albert exactly two choices.

1.) To expose himself as the complete fraud that he has been his entire career. In which case he will be gone before the season.

OR

2.) To actually work his butt off to become the truly dominant TEAM player that he could be. In which case he could be a powerfull force for the Redskins.

Shanahan won't achieve either of these by letting up on Fat Albert. Shanahan Knows what he is doing.

So far, all I have seen from Fat Albert is the FRAUD.

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 1, 2010 2:46 PM

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 1, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

@Posted by: Debaitor | August 1, 2010 4:09 PM

Hey Baiter, I've got one for you.

Posted by: kaasmaster

Why not?? The Leaders of our Humble Democracy do it,,,

Looks like Cyberdyne Systems is about to achieve consciousness, start WW3 and unleash the Terminator..

Posted by: frak | August 1, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

On another note I went to sundays practice and all I can say is Colt does not look good. It seems to me Bartel is clearly better than colt so far. I was impressed today by Bartel considering I wasn't even checking for him...

Posted by: jiza32 | August 1, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jiza32 | August 1, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

"Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 1, 2010 4:24 PM"

Anyone who thought you were just an angry fool has had it confirmed with your last post. Now stop embarrassing your family.

It's a bad thing to say I hope Landry is up to the task this year and I think his toughness translates to any era? Get back on your meds. Quick.

Posted by: gtown85 | August 1, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

scamp/Mel Gibson- Live UFC on VS tonight @ 9pm, pretty decent card.

You could give Mel Gibson a run for his money, if you haven't heard his phone calls, do so. IF you take out his racist nonsense, they are incredible.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 1, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

get lost masDebaitor.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 1, 2010 4:18 PM

Debaitor=Chia_Pet=Risa_L

Posted by: beep-beep | August 1, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Beeps Peeps

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 1, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

scamp/Mel Gibson- Live UFC on VS tonight @ 9pm, pretty decent card.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 1, 2010 4:34 PM

Oh I've heard them. The radio station I listen to in the morning plays them a lot. It's impressive all right. Difference is I'm going after an obvious mental defective that pretends to know what he/she/it is talking about. I don't know a whole lot about Mel's personal situation with the Russian hooker he's hooked up with. I can tell you for sure that gtown is a Cowgirls fan that trolls on this blog. There is the difference. Bandwagon jumping Cowphuks fans that post on this blog make me angry. But he is now ITA'd so like Shanny referencing Haynesworth's practicing status I will no longer acknowledge the existence of Brokeback fan gtown.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 1, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

So far, all I have seen from Fat Albert is the FRAUD.

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 1, 2010 2:46 PM

Posted by: kaasmaster

The problem is, ESPN posted a stat where in games that Albert played in, The Skins defense held opponents to 2.9 yds a carry..In games he didn't play in, the average was 4.1..He is a o-line-vacuuming difference maker..We need him healthy and IN THE GAME!!

Posted by: frak | August 1, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

It's really hard to fairly judge ANY player a bust under the Zorn regiem. Clearly, the biggest bust of all was Zorn himself. I'm not quite ready to give up on any of them until I see how they perform under Shanahan. Some of them may well turn out to be busts. I also think that some of them will improve by leaps and bounds.

I do have to give gtown a small bit of credit for finally saying something other than "Shanny is picking on Albert". Look how long it took for hess to say something other than "Snider sucks".

My advice gtown: Keep posting, but work on crafting well thought out arguments for your positions. You will earn more respect that way. And avoid beating dead horses!

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 1, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

"Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 1, 2010 4:48 PM"

I gotta question your intelligence when you take the time to copy what I wrote IN A DIFFERENT THREAD, bring it to this thread, make disparaging comments about it and then get all hurt WHEN I RESPOND TO YOU in the same tone.

We can all pull for the Skins and disagree with each other about this move or that strategy at the same time. Get over yourself, dude! You are nobody special (on this board at least).

Posted by: gtown85 | August 1, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

I think I am going to have a breakout year as a fan. I worked out hard this off season. I painted jersey numbers on trashcans and spent my afternoons yelling at them. Yes, I really look forward to hurling insults at all the players this. And that includes you Shanahan!

Posted by: firemetalrat | August 1, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 1, 2010 4:50 PM

For the record, I've never thought that Shanahan was treating Haynesworth harshly and we should feel somehow feel sorry for him. I felt that the method Shanahan chose gave Haynesworth the easy way out and was bound to prolong the distraction that IS Haynesworth.

Most of my posts (not all) are IN RESPONSE to something said directly to me or indirectly (as in the case of scampbell1975).

Posted by: gtown85 | August 1, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1

Yeah, but he missed a key opportunity to mention US Americans, the Iraq, and such as.

Posted by: TheCork | August 1, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kaasmaster

Just a durn minute, kass. Nothing will ruin this board faster than too many well thought out arguments.

Most of us are inspired by the wackaloon elements and dead horse beaters.

You want this to be just an ordinary fact filled board?

Oh yeah, I'm in favor of civility, but long live the irrational, Satan-beset, besotted, half-witted and just plain not-hooked-up-right posters, too.

And they know who they are.

Posted by: TheCork | August 1, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Time to turn the page on the young WRs. Not a keeper in the bunch.

Posted by: ArmChairQB | August 1, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

I have a question about this claim from this post.

"for the NFL's oldest team this season"
By Jorge Castillo | August 1, 2010; 3:30 PM ET

My question is how can you make this claim without seeing the final roster? Do you have the opening day roster, if so who's on it? Old guys usually get cut before younger guys (younger players are cheaper with more potential). You better take a journalism/writing course. There are many recent college grads looking for any work they can get.

Posted by: MajorFacemask | August 1, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see Tryon get a chance to return punts.

Posted by: coparker5 | August 1, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see Tryon return to wherever he came from

Posted by: dchael | August 1, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 1, 2010 4:50 PM

Unreal, day three and gtown85 is still trapping folks in his argument web. I agreed to disagree with the guy, as it is best to move on.

Posted by: hessone | August 2, 2010 12:25 AM | Report abuse

Tryon can't tackle, doesn't cover well in man or zone and makes a lot of mistakes...other than that he's fine.

Posted by: outrbnksm | August 2, 2010 6:32 AM | Report abuse