Understudy Kemoeatu prepping for lead role

Of the many players polled about Albert Haynesworth's no-show at minicamp, nose tackle Maake Kemoeatu tried to stay as low-key as possible when discussing the Redskins defensive tackle. Yet he remains perhaps the person with the most to gain from the All-Pro's absence.

Kemoeatu said he was surprised that Haynesworth did not show up at the mandatory camp and said the Haynesworth saga "could be a distraction." But he also said he had been looking forward to playing next to the star lineman.

"I think that as talented as he is, he can play anywhere--nose, end," Kemoeatu said. "He's a lot more talented than I am and he can do a lot more than I can. I think maybe for his talent he can play wherever but I was looking forward to playing with him so I could learn from him and see what kind of stuff he does."

Kemoeatu, who suffered an Achilles injury in August 2009, said he was about 90 percent recovered and that his main work now lies in getting into football shape. He said his weight is 358 pounds and he is hoping to get down to 345, which he feels is his best playing weight.

Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan praised Kemoeatu's effort and said he expects him to be ready when training camp starts.

"I think he's coming back very quickly," Shanahan said. "I like his progress. He still has a lot of work to do. We have over a month for him to get back in football shape. But he's a worker, he's a guy who works extremely hard. And he's going two times a day, working out in the morning, working out in the afternoon. He's going to be here all through the summer months to continue his conditioning."

Kemoeatu is the prime candidate to start at nose tackle if Haynesworth is not on the Redskins roster and might provide flexibility if Haynesworth remains in Washington.

Kemoeatu said he understands that every day Haynesworth is not around gives him another opportunity for playing time.

"If he doesn't play any football that's more time for me to get on the field and do what I do best," Kemoeatu said. "It's a great opportunity for me if he doesn't come back, but if he does it'll be great too. I'll get to work with him."

By Paul Tenorio  |  June 25, 2010; 12:00 PM ET
Categories:  3-4 defense , Albert Haynesworth
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: K. Shanahan: Skins already have a third-down back
Next: DeAngelo Hall says he was not at party for Michael Vick where shooting occurred

Comments

FIRST to say we don't need AH...Kemo is will be fine at NT!

FIRST to say it here, at least...haha.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 25, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

My point and Learnedhand's point is...these things happen in the offseason all the time.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | June 25, 2010 12:06 PM

If that were true, AH's Redskin teammates wouldn't have been coming out in droves calling him "selfish" and saying there's no viable reason for him not to be there sweating his ass off to 1) justify his contract like he said he would and 2) try to shake the stink of a 4-12 season off him. You wanna talk football, that's talkin' football, dude.

Fans ALWAYS blow stuff outta proportion. But the minute his teammates lined up against him, I knew it wasn't a media thing anymore.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 25, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

*Liikes Maake*

Posted by: 4-12 | June 25, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Fat Albert is done as a Redskin. He disrespected the game, his teammates and the NFL by his lone absence from the off season. He will definitely be a distraction here. Let's move on. Snyder's last mistake.

Posted by: harbirsingh | June 25, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Go getm big K. !!!!! AH doesn't deserve to be the starting player! if he even showsup halfway in shape,what a chump!

Posted by: killerskunk63 | June 25, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

we NEED haynesworth! Kemo is another guy who didnt play last year

Posted by: pabrian2003 | June 25, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

if we're trying to get older and less talented we're on the right track

Posted by: pabrian2003 | June 25, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

snyders last mistake? Puh leeeeze

Posted by: pabrian2003 | June 25, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

start naming great defensive lineman and you will have a list of players with bad attitudes

Posted by: pabrian2003 | June 25, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | June 25, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

we NEED haynesworth! Kemo is another guy who didnt play last year

Posted by: pabrian2003 | June 25, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

We need Haynesworth like Tina needed Ike, or Whitney needed Bobby, or Nicole needed O.J.

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 25, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 25, 2010 12:21 PM

So what? No bridges have been burned. No one has said or done anything that can't be fixed. In fact they have been much more civil than the posters on RI who then say "it's good" "we're cool" and sometimes even seem to mean it.

Posted by: greenback | June 25, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Snyder's last mistake.

Posted by: harbirsingh | June 25, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

If only that were true....

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | June 25, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Some Friday afternoon fun: Fat Albert sings.

“The Albert Haynesworth Training Camp Song”
To the tune of “Waving Flag” by K’Naan

I got my money, I think it’s funny
You think I’ll play, but there ain’t no way
I’ll ever pay back, ain’t gonna pay back
I’ll never pay back, oh.

When I got older, I will be slower
But it don’t matter, I’ll still have my stash
You all can cut me, but it won’t hurt me
Cause I got my boat and my pile of cash

They’ll call me Stompy, but they can’t bump me,
I’m the best lineman, when I want to play, man,
No one can stop me, three men can’t pop me,
And then they will see, it’s all about me.

Fletcher don’t like me, they all can bite me,
‘Less I bite them first, they’ll feel it worse,
All you are b!tches, I got my riches
Shanny can bench me, still I’m goin’ to say,

I got my money, I think it’s funny
You think I’ll play, but there ain’t no way
I’ll ever pay back, ain’t gonna pay back
I’ll never pay back, oh.

You’re thinking maybe I’m a big baby
But what you don’t know is on the down low,
I got my own plan, forget Mr. Shanahan,
Don’t have to play, cause I just got paid.

Here come my stripper, I’m gonna rip her
She tryin’ to play me, but there’s no way
I’m gonna pay her, won’t pay no banker
I got my green, so I’m gonna say,

I got my money, I think it’s funny
You think I’ll play, but there ain’t no way
I’ll ever pay back, ain’t gonna pay back
I’ll never pay back, oh.

Posted by: SonofNero | June 25, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

If Haynesworth is the cancer Kemo is the cure.

Posted by: skinfanman | June 25, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I know Mako is a big guy, but is 345 pounds a "playing weight"? Maybe if you are a sumo wrestler... We need a big guy at nose, no doubt, but this guy is not going to be an every down player. The more intriguing question at this point, assuming Haynesworth isn't in the picture, is what do we have for depth at nose tackle?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 25, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SonofNero | June 25, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Thanx SonofNero. You just reaffirmed to me that rap sux donkey schlong through a straw.

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | June 25, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the Giants third round draft pick just had a bad automobile accident. Listed as in serious condition...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 25, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Doctors are trying to "save his leg". Looks like his career could be over before it even started.

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | June 25, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 25, 2010 12:52 PM

You're pointing in the wrong direction: Think peanut butter and jelly; salt and pepper; Mike and Ike.

Posted by: greenback | June 25, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I got my money, I think it’s funny
You think I’ll play, but there ain’t no way
I’ll ever pay back...
...You think I’ll play, but there ain’t no way
I’ll ever pay back, ain’t gonna pay back
I’ll never pay back, oh.

Posted by: SonofNero

Goddam, did you stay up all night writing this? This is truly a testament to how much humanity hate AH.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 25, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Just saw a picture of SUV(I think) that Chad Jones (S from LSU) was driving. Looks like he rolled it, or else something ran over him. Really serious.

Posted by: frediefritz | June 25, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead

Yeah, no kidding. How long is that ankle gonna hold up with 700 lbs of offensive linemen pushing him? I mean hell, he weighs over 350 so that ankle is working just to carry his own weight.
I think we may see quite a few 4-3 alignments until we've got someone whom we are sure can take the beating at NT and live to tell.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 25, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Giants rookie safety, I hope that this young guy's football career is not over but it doesn't look good.

Posted by: kingpenn1 | June 25, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

a lot of people saying haynesworth aint worth it. Believe from what you see, na na not from what you hear!

The game film of the last 5 years does not lie haynesworth is a true talent. We knew about the attitude from day 1 of his career. We knew he didnt want to play NT in a 3-4.

For the fans to jump on the players when once again the mgmt is to blame is typical and disheartening.

Danny's a rich pri ck too at least AH can kick as s

Posted by: pabrian2003 | June 25, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kingpenn1

That was one hell of an crash.

I haven't seen many accidents where the driver's side front wheel ended up about six inches away from the driver.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 25, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

dexter manly in and out of prison his whole career, we all loved him

Posted by: pabrian2003 | June 25, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

best wishes to the kid in the car crash.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 25, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Defense will struggle this year due to the transition and lack of a 3-4 NT depth.

No one in the front 7 has experience playing in the 3-4. There will be some transition pains.

Posted by: srobert1117 | June 25, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 25, 2010 1:36 PM
-------------------------------------------
Maybe. As strange as it sounds, maybe they go looking to trade for another defensive tackle... The team seems to be really committed to this 3-4 concept. I can't see them walking away from it unless they really have to. I have heard them mention Carriker at least a couple of times as the guy who could fill in at nose. I know he's smaller, but word is he is beastly strong.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 25, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Saddest part of this story was poor Kemo offering that he was looking forward to learning something from the Big Oaf...

as if the selfish bastard could ever find a way to work out with his so-called teammates.

Let's hope that Kemo gets into playing shape and stays that way...

because even if AH92 shows up... in shape... ready to play... within the system... and with the necessary self-discipline to handle his assigned roles and responsibilities....

we all know that it's only a matter of time...

before the big blowhard...

is laid out flat... or flopping around on the sidelines...

like some fat old beached whale...

Or unable to catch his breath and find his mojo...

while a series of upposedly inferior opponents run over, over or around him.

And that doesn't even count the very real possibility... that AH92 will show up just long enough to sustain some sort of fake injury... ala CP26 in the last campaign...

that will keep him out for a large part...
if not all... of the coming season.

Posted by: Vic1 | June 25, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

as for Fat Albert vs Kemo -- gotta go with Madden on this. There's no substitute for talent.

As long as the fat boy is in shape and motivated for game 1, I'm good. However we got there. But I'll bet there will be players taking cheap shots a fat boy, trying to injure him. He's costing too many people too much money -- I'm thinking he's made some real enemies among the players around the league.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 25, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Vick may be in some trouble. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

The Eagles suck

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 25, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Fist fight between Albert and Maake, who wins?

I say Maake

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 25, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Funny how certain people in the last thread make the argument AH hasn't done anything in burgundy and gold, and is getting credit for other guys performances.

While the second part of that statement can be rightfully debated, the first part can't: AH has without question had more success in a Skins uni than Donovan McNabb.

I will wait until live snaps are taken to pass further judgement.

Posted by: Alan4 | June 25, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

"He's a lot more talented than I am and he can do a lot more than I can. ..."

- Maake Kemoeatu

Haynesworth is so bored that he's twittering, but he is who he is ... and he's under contract to wreak his brand of havoc at game time. I'm back to my brazen.

Posted by: dcsween | June 25, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Funny, how when Snyder's name is mentioned many posters like Kaas go "here we go again" But Dan Snyder is the center of the Redskins universe,it revolves around him.

Posted by: ArmchairGM

It is clear that you don't understand my position on Snider.
My only complaint is with posters who say "Snider sucks and the redskins will always suck as long as he is the owner."
If you realy believe this statement then you should stop being a Redskins fan and go away.

I freely admit that Snider has made a rediculus number of mistakes in the past and is the bigest reason for the consistant failure under his tenure. I have pointed that out in a large number of postings. I also believe he is capable of learning how to be a good owner. There are some mistakes that he has made which have not been repeated. For some mistakes he has not learned his lesson yet.

Yes, Dan/Vinny are responsible for bringing Fat Albert here in the first place. That was a mistake. I expressed my doubts about Albert from the biginning, but was willing to give him a chance in hopes that it would work out. I belive that Danny-Boy will be out his 21 million, and get very little in return when Fat Albert is traded. I hope it will teach him a lesson.
Albert must bear all of the blame for his own actions in this debacle. He was given the opportunity to get out gracefully when he first expressed his desire to not play in this system. He made the choice to be greedy, selfish, and problomatic. He deserves the ire of the fans, owner, coaches, and teammates. He has proven himself to be a man of low class.

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 25, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

czest, your going with Madden's opinion over a bunch of jealous hateful know nothing fan opinions?

Where's the logic in that?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | June 25, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

It appears at this time that he may have finally learned that he needs a real GM. It also appears that he has made an intelligent choice in a Head Coach and allowed him to make his own choices in assistants. These are good signs. It remains to be seen whether he will leave these guys alone to properly do their job. We will have to wait and see, but for now I will give him the benefit of the doubt....

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 25, 2010 2:24 PM

This is the part that troubles me. Yes, it's great to see Vinny gone and a real GM. But eliminate Zorn, and Snyder has ALWAYS picked excellent coaches. Schottenheimer was awesome (best winning % of active coaches when hired). Spurrier was a worthwhile gamble, based on his credentials as a college coach. Gibbs is a Hall of Famer.

There are pros and cons to Shanahan. But he definitely qualifies as a classic, well-credentialed Snyder HC pick (throw out Zorn as an anomaly, whom Snyder never really trusted anyway).

Snyder can pick good coaches, but can he be patient with them? That is the mystery.

Posted by: Alan4 | June 25, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

At the risk of being ridiculed on this (been there, done that), I'm going to present a possible -- and RATIONAL -- explanation for Albert's behavior.

Start with what many have posted up here, that lots of people want Albert's money. What if Albert did the math and figured out that, once everybody gets paid, he will be bankrupt. The paralyzed guy is going to get 1/2 of Albert's bank account. The baby Momma's will get 1/2. The lawyers, agent, etc will get 15%. etc. Lots of these settlements are based on the person's assets and ability to pay. The more $$ the target has, the bigger the payout.

When the fat boy adds it all up, he KNOWS he's going to owe more than he's got. He's going to owe 200% of his net wealth.

Which means ... bankruptcy is inevitable. So what if Danny sues him? Or a bank sues him? All the $$ is gone, and the courts decide is who gets what.

So why play now if you know all the $$ you make are going to other people? Save yourself for after bankruptcy, when you can make $$, mostly free and clear.

To be clear, Albert put himself into this mess. I'm shedding no tears for him.

But if this scenario is accurate, Albert is looking at playing football in the next year or two, and netting zero $$ for it.

Its ugly and revolting. And its rational.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 25, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Fist fight between Albert and Maake, who wins?

I say Maake

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 25, 2010 2:19 PM
------------------------------------------
Fist fight? With that much blubber you could put them in diapers, call it sumo wrestling, and set it up on pay per view.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 25, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Where's the logic in that?

Posted by: pabrian2003

yeah, F me for even going there

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 25, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Snyder has been hands off for a whole 6 months. The question is how long can he remain hands off.

What happens if the skins go 7-9 is he going to be hands off?

What happens if they are only 8-8 next year? Is he going to be hands off?

This is the problem with trading for McNabb. Now everyone expects playoff runs this year and next. The roster has more holes than swiss cheese and it is more than likely they don't make the playoffs this year.

McNabb has played a full 16 games once in the last 6 years.

Posted by: srobert1117 | June 25, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 25, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

The pathetic existence of Dan Snyder will never, ever dictate anything to me. So take your silly post out for a long walk and don't come back now, ya hear?

Posted by: Pepper5 | June 25, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

If Haynesworth is the cancer Kemo is the cure.

Posted by: skinfanman | June 25, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Late to the post, but this one got my attention.. should be a T-Shirt with this!

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | June 25, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

What happens if the skins go 7-9 is he going to be hands off?

What happens if they are only 8-8 next year? Is he going to be hands off?

McNabb has played a full 16 games once in the last 6 years.

Posted by: srobert1117 | June 25, 2010 2:55 PM
------------------------------------------
Where are all of these holes of which you speak? With the exception of some hypothesized weakness at wide receiver and some shuffling yet to take place on the D-line, I think the team can go to war with this roster.

As far as Snyder meddling, I don't think so. He has learned what his meddling did. He felt it in is wallet which is every billionaire's most sensitive spot. He'll back off now, step out of the picture, and let Shanahan and Allen make the team popular again. Although wins are nice, I think with Snyder there is a considerable percentage of his motivation attached to revenue. You don't get to be a billionaire by hating money and throwing it away.

I think this is why it is so critical for Haynesworth to give back money if he is going to be traded or cut outright. The financial aspect of this is embarassing to Shanahan and Allen. They gave away $21.0 million of the boss' money and would they cut this guy without getting a dime? They have to get back some of that bonus or make the guy play for it.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 25, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Kemo is my favorite Redskin.

This has nothing to do with how well he plays whether he plays at all.

I just want to hang out with him.

Posted by: Original_etrod | June 25, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like Maake wants AH here...

Posted by: Stu27 | June 25, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 25, 2010 3:05 PM

The Skins look good on paper every offseason. Let's see how the rookie OT and the RT coming off season-ending injury do on the field. No matter how they do, though, it's pretty much guaranteed to be an upgrade over the stiffs manning those positions last year. Also, I'm not sold on the RB position. Again, they look good on paper...

Snyder has given the appearance of being hands off several times over the past decade. But he always reverts to form: he likes to tinker.

I don't care about the money. Haynesworth is one of the top defenders in the league. He belongs on the field, or the team should find someone who can compensate for his skills. Letting him go is not the same as what the Raiders did with Jamarcus Russell. Russell was a liability on the field, and the Raiders are better for getting rid of him. Notice that nobody picked him up. Haynesworth is NOT a liability on the field, which is why it's not as easy for the Skins to just let him go. Hayney would definitely have suitors the moment he becomes available.

Posted by: Alan4 | June 25, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

McNabb has played a full 16 games once in the last 6 years.

Posted by: srobert1117 | June 25, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

To be fair the amount of players that do not play a full season, far outweighs those that do.

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 25, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Snyder doesn't really care whether team wins or loses, just so long as the enterprise remains profitable.

Despite playing some of their worse football ever, the Redskins continue to rank among the top franchises for total revenue and earning power -- which has been estimated to be well in excess of $2 billion per year.

Despite all of the allegations of waste and excess on player contracts, the total team salary pool has remained rather constant over the past several years -- as the team consistently pays out something like $200 million in player salaries each year. Remember, for every overpriced contract with the likes of AH92 or CP26, there are six or seven other players working for rookie /league journeyman contract wages.

Am also convinced that Snyder tries to sign a high profile player or two every off-season -- not necessarily to fill team needs -- but rather, to "create buzz" -- which, in turn, sells tickets, jerseys and other team merchandise.

And that may be AH92's biggest sin of this off-season -- he has so disenfranchised fans, that they are no longer buying his jerseys. Same applies to a somewhat lesser degree with CP26.

It may not be a winning formula, but it's certainly a lucrative one.

Posted by: Vic1 | June 25, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Report: Quanis Phillips was shot, after confrontation with Vick

Vicks lawer say "Vick was not present during the shooting"

"Even though the confrontation with Vick moved outside and that is where the shooting happened"

WHATEVER! LOL

What he was not present for his own birthday party? LOL

Posted by: leevi98 | June 25, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

We can only speculate until July 30, no one knows what Shanahan, Bruce and Snyder have in plan for Haynesworth, but I bet it will be interesting. No matter what happens, the management will make sure Albert did not further embarrass the Skins, the NFL players association, and the NFL fans in general. Albert had mistakenly started a war he can not win. The entire NFL, both old and current players and even his own teammates are against him on this. That being said, Coach Shanahan recently met with Joe Gibbs, one of the topics discussed was John Riggins, without going through enormous detail, the bottom line is Gibbs knew he needed Riggins to be a winner and he did everything possible to win him over, would Shanahan need Haynesworth to be a winner? That question will be answered on July 30, the beginning day of training camp. My only wish is for this scenario to come to logical conclusion that favors the Skins.

Posted by: abxinc | June 25, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Report: Quanis Phillips was shot, after confrontation with Vick

Vicks lawer say "Vick was not present during the shooting"

WHATEVER! LOL

What he was not present for his own birthday party? LOL

Posted by: leevi98 | June 25, 2010 3:27 PM
-----------------------------------------
So, I wonder what the terms of his parole are?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 25, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Man that Chad Jones crash is horrific. Hope he pulls through. Not to jump to conclusions, but imagine the speed you have to be going to do that kind of damage to a Range Rover.

Posted by: RambleOn | June 25, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead

Kind of on the same page. Jamaal Brown, if he's healthy, is the turning point for me with the offense. We've gone from awful to adequate on offense.

Still, I think we need Albert on the DL, to be very competitive. I'd love to see Albert and Orakpo alternating at RDE. What LT wouldn't have nightmares knowing he was going to face BOTH of those guys on Sunday?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 25, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Matt Mosley writes:
"The bottom line is that Haynesworth and Shanahan won't be able to function together in Washington. The coach can't afford for any of his new players to have the perception that Haynesworth won this standoff. And that's why Haynesworth's announcement that he intended to show up for training camp meant nothing.

If the Redskins haven't traded or released Haynesworth by that time, I think they'll ask him to stay home. The time for healing or compromise has passed. In reality, Haynesworth hasn't been on this team since March."

Dumb remarks. The way Shanny wins the standoff isn't by asking Albert to stay home or dumping him cheaply. Shanny wins by sticking to a high asking price for Haynesworth, calling AH's bluff and forcing him to camp where then Coach proceeds to kick his butt all over the place, hopefully leading to a suspension and the initiation of proceedings to get the money back. Go Skins!

Shanny's strong, Haynesworth is weak. This is gonna be fun to watch -- and it's going to have an additional bonus of striking fear amd raising morale of the other Redskins.

F Albert -- Keep Albert!

Posted by: Pepper5 | June 25, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | June 25, 2010 3:22 PM
-------------------------------------------
Snyder cares about the money, and by virtue of that, Shanahan and Allen both care about the money. I don't know if suitors would line up to sign Haynesworth if he was released because his 'tude over the last few months has definitely tarnished his image, but yes, there is some huckleberry GM out there that would eventually spend the dough. I am saying that if the money wasn't involved, Haynesworth would already be gone. Because the money is involved, he stays until he pays or plays.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 25, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

"I wonder what the terms of his parole are?"

Am led to believe by somethign I read that one of the terms was for Vick to stay away from his former associates in the dog-fighting business.

Question is, did Phillips have an invitation or not? If he was on the invite list, it's a clear violation of parole.

Follow up question: If Vick is so clean on this matter, why are none of the witnesses cooperating with police?

Posted by: Vic1 | June 25, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

So, I wonder what the terms of his parole are?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 25, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

He isnt supposed to associate with the co-defendants in the dog fighting case. Looks like someone broke the rules of his probation.

Sounds like yet another case of when keeping it real goes wrong. And people wanted us to sign this guy. Amazing.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | June 25, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

It may not be a winning formula, but it's certainly a lucrative one.

Posted by: Vic1 | June 25, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I agree with a lot of your statement, vic, but I disagree with your opening line, and the entire premise of your statement.

Yes, DS is looking for a profit. And believe me, I am no DS apologist. But one thing I do five him credit for is being a big Skins fan. I think DS wants to win as much as or more than any other owner in the league. And he has consistently paid out to get good players.

Unfortunately, he is still learning how to be a winning owner. He's made many mistakes, which we have discussed ad infinitum here on RI. But he does want badle to see a Lombardi trophy. I just hope he has learned some valuable lessons over the years, and will allow our FO to operate in a professional manner.

Posted by: frediefritz | June 25, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1 | June 25, 2010 3:25 PM

We've disagreed on many things in the past but I have to cosign this, Vic. Other than CP26, those high-profile players almost never pan out.

But every year, fans react to them just like Pavlov's dogs--salivating over the latest alleged missing pieces to a Super Bowl run.

Posted by: Alan4 | June 25, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

RedSkinHead

I hardly think the wr weakness is hypotheszied. The stats and performances of the guys on the roster have shown without a doubt that wr is a weakness. There is no #1 wr. Moss would be a 2nd or a 3rd on most teams. There has been nothing to make me hypothesize the success of any of the other guys either.

Shuffling that needs to take place on the dline is a bit of an uderstatement. They have signed 1 guy who has experience in the 3-4. Two of the guys did not play a down last year. 4 of the front 7 are over 31 with two over 35.

I do agree that Snyder is going to what some cake back. You are right he did not get rich by giving money away for nothing. Cutting AH without getting some back will be a monumental blow to his ego. This may be the first cause of friction between Shanny/allen and Snyder. Those two are not going to want anything to do with AH come camp time. Not going to want the distraction. In the past when Snyder made horrible signings it was the play of the player that would lead to the parting of ways. This will be the first time a player took a boatloa of money and then flipped him the bird. Especially hard when the player still has some great football in him if he wants to play.

Posted by: srobert1117 | June 25, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

It may not be a winning formula, but it's certainly a lucrative one.

Posted by: Vic1 | June 25, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

AH has definitely ticked off the fans, I'm never going to buy his jersey.

On the other hand, and I can't speak for everyone, but CP is still my favorite player on this team.

He acts like a jerk occasionally, but he's given the fans alot to cheer for.

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 25, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

RedSkinHead

Posted by: srobert1117 | June 25, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Was it "mean" joe Green, or "nice" joe green?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | June 25, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1 | June 25, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

WHATEVER! LOL

What he was not present for his own birthday party? LOL

Leevi said it best above. It was Vicks party, it has been noted already that he argued with the guy inside and it went outside(with Vick) and the guy got shot.

Now all of a sudden Vick wasnt there and there arent any witnesses.

At HIS birthday Party. That is a laugh in itself.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | June 25, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 25, 2010 3:33 PM
------------------------------------------
Agree on the Brown signing, but I don't think the team needs Haynesworth as much as Haynesworth thinks the team needs him. His role will rarely be "throw off your man and get to the quarterback", so his athletic ability is squandered. His role will be "clog the lanes". As far as Orakpo playing end, forget it. He's not big enough to play end in a 3-4 and I have a feeling we won't see him play end in any 4-3 set, either. He will create havoc as a linebacker and if Haslett is smart he will move him all over the place challenging the QB to keep track of him. Orakpo might not get as many sacks this year, but if he doesn't, one of the other linebackers benefiting from his presence will.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 25, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Was it "mean" joe Green, or "nice" joe green?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | June 25, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Vinney needs a new GM gig then we could get 1st rd pick for Al

Posted by: swalker5 | June 25, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Fair points from frediefritz and Alan4, and well presented. Thanks.

Yes, I probably overstated my sense that Snyder is more concerned about the bottom line than how we get there.

However, my subtext is this: AH92's $21 million... or $42 million... is a mere drop in the bucket when compared to the larger scheme of things. If the Redskins truly want to win, they'll get rid of this loser and move on with someone who actually wants to play here.

Posted by: Vic1 | June 25, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

AH has definitely ticked off the fans, I'm never going to buy his jersey...

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 25, 2010 3:41 PM

Yeah, right. If AH has a beastly game against the Gurlz in Game 1, and terrorizes Romo into a bunch of turnovers, fans will forgive.

If AH has a beastly season like he did in 2008, and the Skins go 13-3 like the Titans did that year, plus a deep run in the playoffs, you'll be spending Saturdays ironing out the wrinkles in your brand new Haynesworth #92 jersey.

Posted by: Alan4 | June 25, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: srobert1117 | June 25, 2010 3:41 PM
-----------------------------------------
The weakness at WR IS hypothesized. There are guys in camp that have had success in the league. Let's not pull the plug on them until we see what we have. I don't think Galloway stays but I see Wade as a nice third or fourth receiver. The guy isn't all that, but he's consistent as heck - unlike ARE. DT will be the second receiver, and the rookie is going to make some noise with his speed. But again, we don't know what we have until the preseason starts...

They've got the players on the DL. Guys like Holiday, Daniels, Carriker - those guys are solid. So, the other guys might not be world class, but they will get rolled into the rotation and as long as they can take up space, they have filled their role in a 3-4 defense.

I think if Shanahan went to Snyder and said he was going to cut Fat Albert, Snyder would back him. Shanny might lose some respect, but Snyder would back him. Shanny, on the other hand, isn't going to play that hand. If he keeps Haynesworth, he will make it tough for him. If he lets him go, it will because Haynie gave some money back. Shanny won't play it any other way.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 25, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | June 25, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Yes I will

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 25, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

If Haynesworth is the cancer Kemo is the cure.

Posted by: skinfanman | June 25, 2010 1:06 PM
------------------------------------------

Aww...you beat me to it!

I was going to say, "The perfect pair! Cancer and Kemoeatu, side by side."

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | June 25, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Brunell is bankrupt?

Do you think he bounced too many checks 5 yards in front of his receivers?

Posted by: Rypien11 | June 25, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 25, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse
-------------------------

Because the solution to any problem is to bury your head in the sand and forget about it.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | June 25, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, wtf? Did I kill the blog two days in a row?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | June 25, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

A Bald man named Kemo?

Probably not the best of nicknames.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | June 25, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

A Bald man named Kemo?

Probably not the best of nicknames.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | June 25, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

A Bald man named Kemo?

Probably not the best of nicknames.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | June 25, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

ON the Vick thing. The victim was one of the co-defendants from the Dog case a few years back whom Vick was not allowed to associate with. It would make complete sense that Vick would be none too pleased to see the guy at his party.

It's entirely possible that Vick told the guy to "Get the fck out" and then things went all Source Awards at which point Vick saw to it that this fellow was escorted out of the club, then went back inside, at which the shooting took place.

Not saying that's how it went down but it's possible.

Need to wait for the facts on this one but either way it doesn't look good for Ron Mexico.

Posted by: Original_etrod | June 25, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | June 25, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Let's wait and see on this one, gator. Vick could have been at the party, but did not invite Phillips. So when Phillips shows up, Vick could have gone ballistic becasue it would appear to be a violation of parole.

Let's get some facts first.

Posted by: frediefritz | June 25, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

"This guys is good as cut now. Thirteen pounds overweight when he should be AT weight already (coming back from injury). Why he wouldn't be lighter to rehab a foot/ankle/lower leg injury evades me."

He's just a huge guy. And modesty aside, a better NT than Albert. The only question is his health, and it's a big question.

They're going to cut Maake? Hard to believe.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 25, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Why in the heck would you show up at the birthday party of the guy you flipped on, ultimately putting him in prison?

Did he expect things would be all good?

Is Sammy the Bull going to show up at one of the Gotti's parties?

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 25, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Brunell is bankrupt?

Do you think he bounced too many checks 5 yards in front of his receivers?

Posted by: Rypien11 | June 25, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

No, I think he bounced too many "chucks" in front of his receivers.

Posted by: frediefritz | June 25, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I exercise my right to disagree. 1. It's not Albert's fault that Snyder overpaid him. (I've never turned down a raise in my life.) 2. He's too tall to play nose tackle. He'll injure a knee before the season is half finished. 3. He was hired to do a specific job. JR-how would you like it if your boss at the Post told you on Monday to report down to the newspaper production line..ohh..your pay will be the same. 4. The best coaches adapt their units to their players strengths. No only did we bring in one of the best defensive tackles in the league, our two defensive ends were just coming into their own. This is Shanahan's folly. (stop calling him Shanny. That is so gay.

Posted by: nomolehill | June 25, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nomolehill | June 25, 2010 4:36 PM

Okay Molly!

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | June 25, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

They're going to cut Maake? Hard to believe.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 25, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

When you weigh 345 pounds, you can poop 13

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 25, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

When you weigh 345 pounds, you can poop 13

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 25, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------------

As long as they don't show it in the Madden locker room...

Posted by: mattsoundworld | June 25, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of gay, I'll be in NYC this Sunday stuffing bags in support of the Trevor Projects anal gayla... er... Annual gala.

So what? Big deal! Wanna fight about it?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | June 25, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Somebody please for the love of GOD! Shut hall up..why does he feel the need to chime in on everything and always defending the guilty!

"DeAngelo Hall stands up for Vick, again"

So it's no surprise that Hall has assumed an early leadership role when it comes to making excuses for Vick this time around. After pointing out via his Twitter page that he wasn't at the party that ended with the shooting of former Vick associate Quanis Phillips, Hall says, "I would also caution people from making statements and accusations before all the details have come out. I support Mike and everything positive he is doing in the community. Thank you."

First off...how is do you have a birthday party for somebody who is not there? 2nd...it has already been reported Vick was in the fight which started inside the club and moved outside where the guy was shot. is was not there Hall? maybe you should get the facts before running your mouth Mr. Hall...

Posted by: leevi98 | June 25, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

"When you weigh 345 pounds, you can poop 13"

Thank you ever so much. Now I'll spend the rest of the evening trying to erase that image from my memory bank.

Posted by: rufus_t_firefly | June 25, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Not saying that's how it went down but it's possible.

Posted by: Original_etrod | June 25, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Then why was Vick outside in the fight but so happens to not be around when the gun shot went off? Why is his lawyer saying he was not there? At his own party? PLEASE!

Posted by: leevi98 | June 25, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: leevi98 | June 25, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Wait to get the facts, leevi. It was near closing time when this all happened. Phillips MAY not have had an invitation, but crashed the party. Vick MIGHT have become incensed, since this would APPEAR to be a violation, so Vick MIGHT have left. Then the shooting MAY have happened, and Vick would not have been there.

It MAY have happened the way you describe it also. All we are saying is, let's wait until we have the facts.

Posted by: frediefritz | June 25, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: leevi98 | June 25, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | June 25, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm not describing anything that I may think...i am stating the facts that are reported....and the shooting is fact it did happen....there is no "may have" involved.....If he "might" have left...why did the POLICE say Vick was outside when the fight moved outside....Police lying publicly about what information they gathered?

Posted by: leevi98 | June 25, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: leevi98 | June 25, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | June 25, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Also it "appears" your saying it's ok for people to be at his birthday party who would not only carry guns to the party but in fact use them. Your saying that in light of his troubles and being released from prison early for a second chance, it's ok he is still running round with these type of people?

Posted by: leevi98 | June 25, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

this is sad, disheartening, and pathetic all at once: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5326679

Posted by: BMACattack | June 25, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: leevi98 | June 25, 2010 5:44 PM

It was at a night club not the basement of his house. I doubt he was responsible for security or working the door. You should really wait to hear more before getting all emotional about it. You're a Tar Heel man pull yourself together.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 25, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

+++++1. It's not Albert's fault that Snyder overpaid him. (I've never turned down a raise in my life.)

That is definitely not Albert's fault, that one is on Snyder/Cerrato, no doubt.

Oh yeah, because he has been the picture of health playing the 4-3 DT. The problem is, he's too fat to play football. That was proven last year.

If he received a $21 million bonus a couple of months ago, my bet is JR and any sane person would scrub toilets with a toothbrush if asked to do it. As stated, this money was accepted with the understanding that he would what was expected of him. If he wanted out this bad, he should have declined the bonus. But I know, the other millions he has been paid isn't nearly enough to live off of these days.

And the best players in the game keep themselves in shape so that when those meaningful games come around, they aren't rolling around like a beached whale because they are winded. I'm sure you know way better than Shanahan that sticking with a 4-3 with Fat Al out there is better than the 3-4. How dare the Redskins hire a coach with Super Bowl rings when there's a WaPo message board poster out there that knows better!

Posted by: RobInVaBeach | June 25, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

KEMOEATU:

His mama named him Kemo, when they found out he's a man eater, they added "eat you" which translates to "Kemo eat you" or shortened as Kemoeatu.

Posted by: abxinc | June 25, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Brunell? We'll always have that Dallas game :)

Posted by: Pepper5 | June 25, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kaasmaster

Posted by: Pepper5

Posted by: mattsoundworld

Can you read English? Did you bother to read the whole posting? Do you people even have a clue as to what I was saying?

I was NOT saying that I believe that the Redskins will always suck as long as Dan Snider owns the team.

I was complaining about OTHER PEOPLE who constantly put up postings who say that.

People who are constantly saying that the Redskins will ALLWAYS suck just because Dan Snider owns the team PISS ME OFF.

If THEY are so completely HOPELESS about the future, WHY ARE THEY FANS?

Do you get it NOW?

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 25, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

"4. The best coaches adapt their units to their players strengths."

Which is one of those sayings that sounds logical but if you stop and think about it, doesn't make all that much sense. You can't coach at any level without adapting to the strengths of your players (and their flaws, too, by the way). But at the same time, you can't possibly find a single scheme that optimizes the talents of a bunch of NFL players with their own experience and a contract to boot. So all coaches compromise. They pick a scheme that they think will work best (and they're comfortable with) and they do their best to create a good fit with the personnel available.

And then they continue to fiddle with it through the season.

What you're really seeing is that some coaches are better at turnarounds than others. Bill Parcells is the most notable example, and nobody in his right mind would portray the Tuna as flexible when it comes to players. He identifies those few that are absolutely essential to his success and caters to their peculiarities. For the others, it's my way or the Interstate.

Bill Belichick failed in Cleveland for the same reason he succeeded in NE: he did things his way.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 25, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

The fact that the team seems willing to let Albert twiddle his thumbs suggests that maybe they don't think he's that important to their success.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 25, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Are we really counting on a 34 year old 350+ lb man who is trying to lose weight while recovering from a torn achilles to be ready to anchor the defense next year? C'mon man.

Posted by: coparker5 | June 25, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Stop polling the players and destracting the guys that are actually working hard for the Skins...

Go pester Haynesworth...every day...heck, camp out on his lawn...poll him every day about what an a-hole he is...

Stop bugging the good guys WP and do some real reporting by getting in the face of the guy who is causing all the ruckus in the first place...

You are not helping this team by stirring up the coals...

Posted by: rot8tor_man | June 26, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

tHIS NEW ADMINISTRATION IS SHREWD.They have been in this game long enough to know that eventually starters for other teams will get injured,making AH and our crowded backfield valuable peices for those misfortunates commanding value.I love this front office so far.Cool and calculated.

Posted by: mark65 | June 27, 2010 12:32 AM | Report abuse