Vonnie Holliday, linemen take on different role in Shanahan's defense

The Redskins have to be thrilled with their participation during offseason activities thus far. Their first series of organized team activities brought another strong turnout.

Sure, defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth wasn't around, but just about everyone else
was present. A couple of rookies were still precluded from participating because their schools had not yet held graduation ceremonies, and cornerback DeAngelo Hall and newly-signed defensive end Vonnie Holliday were both excused from Wednesday's practice.

Holliday signed Monday, and the Redskins apparently have high hopes for the 12-year veteran.

"I just liked what I saw on tape," said Coach Mike Shanahan, speaking Wednesday for the first time since Holliday's signing. "I think he fits our defense extremely well -- a 3-4 defensive end, long arms. I've watched him through the years. He's a guy who fill can fit into our scheme and play extremely well."

Holliday is one of nine defensive linemen the Redskins have added this offseason. The presumption seems to be that the linemen up-front will be charged with filling space and taking on double-teams. But Shanahan seemed to indicate there might still be a chance for the linemen to make plays in the new defensive scheme.

Holliday started only three of 16 games last season in Denver and still managed to post five sacks.

Speaking of his opportunities to reach the quarterback, Shanahan noted another defensive end who found success in the 3-4.

"Bruce Smith was pretty good with sacks, and he was in a 3-4 defense for a lot of years, playing that defensive end position," Shanahan said. "You have to play within any scheme, and I think Holliday has done that. He's played the run extremely well. Five and a half sacks last year in Denver, playing a limited amount of plays. I've observed him both in a three-man front and a four-man front. I think he fits into what we do very well and I was impressed with his first two practices."

Since signing Monday morning, Holliday participated in the team's first two OTA practices. Coaches knew from the moment he signed that a family commitment would keep him from Wednesday's practice, but the team anticipates him attending the rest of the offseason activities.

Players reconvene at Redskins Park on Monday for the next set of OTAs.

"He's going to be here all the time," Shanahan said.

By Rick Maese  |  May 20, 2010; 6:56 AM ET
Categories:  3-4 defense , Mike Shanahan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McNabb, Redskins stay focused despite report about unnamed teammate
Next: Santana Moss received treatment from doctor accused of HGH smuggling, according to source

Comments

where is andre carter in all of this??

Posted by: temunley | May 20, 2010 7:21 AM | Report abuse

I love the way the D-line is shaping up...if Kemoeatu can get healthy and play the nose effectively, this 3-4 can really work here.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 20, 2010 7:25 AM | Report abuse

Santana Moss named as Redskin who received HGH treatment from Canadian Dr.:

Posted by: Murphmeister | May 20, 2010 7:34 AM | Report abuse

where is andre carter in all of this??

Posted by: temunley | May 20, 2010 7:21 AM |

I read an article yesterday with an interview of him and he talked about how he's doing well transitioning to LB in the scheme and is pretty happy with it. Grain of salt.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | May 20, 2010 7:44 AM | Report abuse

Hmm. Like I said on yesterday's player reaction post, I thought his was a little too defensive.

I guess that explains our sudden interest in undrafted midget receivers of late.

Posted by: Predator48 | May 20, 2010 7:53 AM | Report abuse

Santana will be out for 6 games book it!

Posted by: TimmySmith36 | May 20, 2010 7:54 AM | Report abuse

wow...so much for innocent until proven guilty.....yikes....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 20, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

The "Five Heartbeats" must've stuck a nerve with a certain blogger, who I don't know if I should say his name or not since I don't know if he's posting at the present time.

The mystery blogger is real particular about saying his name when he's not blogging. He uses such occurrences as a way of boosting his feeling of self-importance as a way to compensate from turning knobs all day, I guess...

lol... "Five Heartbeats" was scooby snacks, son. It could've been a helluva lot worse.

Maybe it was the "incorrigible" remark that stung so bad...

Posted by: RedDMV | May 20, 2010 8:02 AM | Report abuse

where is andre carter in all of this??

Posted by: temunley | May 20, 2010 7:21 AM |

He is not attending OTA's because of his unhappiness with the new scheme. He wants to be a full time defensive end, not a linebacker who occupies tight ends. Oops, my bad, I got a classy team guy confused with Fat Albert Turdsworth! On a more serious note, with the coaching staff we have that takes full advantage of player's strengths, I think Andre Carter will find much more success in the 3-4 here than he did in SF.

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | May 20, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

that explains our sudden interest in undrafted midget receivers of late.

Posted by: Predator48 | May 20, 2010 7:53 AM

1. "undrafted midget receivers" is redundant. If you're a good tall receiver, you're drafted. Good short receivers are more likely to go undrafted. "You can't coach speed and you can't coach height."

2. The guys you are referring to are competing as return specialists, aren't they?

Posted by: beep-beep | May 20, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

red?? This must have happened last night??

come on, name names....thats more fun...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 20, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Good to see the Mad Rapper back in full throat today...ready for a full day of thrashing about wildly at all who dare oppose him. Good thing we don't use Skype up here or I'd half expect a knock at my door at 2 am...

How did a Buffalo paper get the scoop on the HGH user being Moss? I really wouldn't have expected it to be him, but I guess considering his injury history I shouldn't really be surprised.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 20, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

come on, name names....thats more fun...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 20, 2010 8:06 AM

Red v. Brownwood is the current match. So far neither has landed a punch. They haven't even exchanged addresses. They're just circling, staring, and jawing. Or keyboading. Very macho.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 20, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

If it's not illegal and he's not going to be prosecuted, why would he be suspended for 6 games?

Posted by: monk811 | May 20, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

beep, thanks.....has PFT weighed in on this yet.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 20, 2010 8:14 AM | Report abuse

How did a Buffalo paper get the scoop on the HGH user being Moss?

Posted by: brownwood26

Because they are good journalists out beating the street for the story instead of posting on RI. Hahaha...Easy just poking fun.

Posted by: 2ndtierfan | May 20, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | May 20, 2010 8:12 AM

This commissioner is serious about "protecting the shield", so if there's anything considered suspicious or if he's sullying the NFL shield in any way, he'll get a couple games if the Commish thinks it's warranted. I doubt he'll get 6 games, but at a minimum you've gotta think they'll start drug testing him more.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 20, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 20, 2010 8:08 AM

That's not how it works up here and you know it. You're the one who threatened that I should never go in an alley because you wanted to beat me. I have to wear a disguise now when I put the garbage out.

Here's how it works. You give him your address and say "Come here and get your beating." Then he gives you his address and says "Come here and get your beating." Then we have the Haynesworth discussion again. No pain. But you both get to say "I won. He wouldn't come to me for his beating."

Posted by: beep-beep | May 20, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

beep, thanks.....has PFT weighed in on this yet.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 20, 2010 8:14 AM

I think you need to look on the mixed martial arts blogs. Or, better, the "Talk the talk, don't walk the walk" blogs.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 20, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I could see a game or 2 but not 6.

Anybody heard anything else about OTA's? Thanks RI for all of this great stuff to read about OTA's!

Posted by: monk811 | May 20, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Monk HGH is a banned substance in the NFL

Posted by: TimmySmith36 | May 20, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | May 20, 2010 8:16 AM

How about applying some context? That was the day you made some heinous remark about my father mere weeks after his death. So I think you can understand why I'd wanna get all Jack Bauer on you that day. You're a clown whose schtick has worn thin, so under normal circumstances I can disregard your failed attempts at humor and move along. Talking about my dead father was crossing a line that no one with a conscience should.

So in your attempt to instigate more sh*t between me and Red, try telling the whole story.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 20, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

I don't often stand up for Sally Jenkins, but her piece today is right on.

Posted by: MrChili | May 20, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 2ndtierfan | May 20, 2010 8:15 AM

Funny 2ndtier...just wondering how a Buffalo paper got this when it doesn't affect anything on their beat. Writer must know somebody close to the story or something...

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 20, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Looking back at Moss's comments from yesterday they are a lot more telling now

Posted by: TimmySmith36 | May 20, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

So I think you can understand why I'd wanna get all Jack Bauer on you that day.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 20, 2010 8:22 AM |

Yeah, blah, blah, blah. So tough. Threatening to beat people on an anonymous internet blog.

And I've never made any heinous remark about anyone's father, living or dead. You did your usual -- twisting meanings so you could pretend you had hurt feelings.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 20, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

careful guys, you know corky ain't gonna stand for this...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 20, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

When I was a youngin' growing up cats who were scared to fight used go in a circle with their opposite shoulder of their opponent touching going back and forth about insults one hurled at the other.

Dude 1: I heard you were talking about my mama...

Dude 2: No, heard you were talking about my mama...

Dude 1: So what you wanna do then?

Dude 2: So what you wanna do then?

Eventually, someone from the crowd that gathered would take the hand of one of the two and hit the other guy with it.

This is what this little rift reminds me of... "Baddest mofo knock this stick off my shoulder" type ish..

And brown, "mad rapper" is so 1997... I thought you had better barbs than that. I guess the "slappie" insult has run it's course.

Whatever, guy. You the man. I wouldn't want to be called a "slappie" in consecutive days. I... I... just wouldn't know what to do with myself.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 20, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

yesterdays news

Some, like Phillip Daniels, took offense to the alleged actions of an unnamed teammate. Others, such as Santana Moss, did not want to discuss the subject at all.

Posted by: TimmySmith36 | May 20, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

wow...so much for innocent until proven guilty.....yikes....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

Well Greg, the fact that its not a PFT link gives it some credibility I think, you of all people should appreciate that.

Posted by: Predator48 | May 20, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Brown,

[That word came Wednesday afternoon from William J. Hochul Jr., U. S. attorney in Buffalo.]

If it's a federal grand jury investigating this then why is this guy putting this out on the street? They’re under oath to keep quite.

Posted by: 2ndtierfan | May 20, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

"just wondering how a Buffalo paper got this when it doesn't affect anything on their beat"

The arrest was made in Buffalo - Peace Bridge.

Posted by: Markin21132 | May 20, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Sheriff Goodell is going to make an example of Moss and the players can thank him for blood tests included if and when a new CBA finally gets done

Posted by: TimmySmith36 | May 20, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Whatever Red...I'm done playing verbal rock 'em-sock 'em robots with you. You're a bad, bad man...we get it. Agree or disagree, let's keep it Skins related from now on.

Beep, you DID say something derrogatory about my father whether you care to acknowledge it or not. Be a d-bag about Skins related stuff and corny puns, but leave the families out of it going forward.

Done with the personal crap. Never an issue when the convo turns from Redskins to hot chicks, NBA basketball and the like, but let's keep it civil.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 20, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

nooo! not santana.... nooooo.... dang...arguably our best offensive player the last few years.... ish!

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | May 20, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

2nd If the Grand Jury has no plans to bring an indictment against Moss his name can and will be released it was only a matter of time. The players in the case would have to be revealed sooner or later if they want to get a conviction against Galea. The only question now is whether or not Moss will be subpoenaed to testify.

Posted by: TimmySmith36 | May 20, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

I totally understand and respect Goodell for what he's done so far with the league, I know he is trying to protect "The Shield" that is the National Football League. I'm not a hypocrit, I was screaming for Santonio Holmes and Big Ben (and little Ben lol) to get suspended, so if Moss did it, he should get suspended as well. But 6 games like someone mentioned? A little extreme. It's not like he's juicing up to hit 80 homeruns like in baseball, he's just trying to get back on the field and stay healthy. But a game or 2 is deserving if he did it.

Posted by: monk811 | May 20, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

It will be interesting to see what the NFL will do in this situation. There will be a whole rack of players potentially to face suspension because of this doctor.

Posted by: TWISI | May 20, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

You can't make someone stop saying anything personal about anyone here. To think you can is hysterical to me.

You can suggest, but in the end, what influence do you really have?

'Cause you, I, we are all just "slappies posting on a NFL blog".

Only way you can stop it is to meet up with who hurt your feelings and beat the living sh*t out of them. So, since that's beyond anyone here, deal with whatever comes your way talk sh*t back, or just ignore them...

You can't insult someone or and NOT expect to have something extreme said back to you.

It's hot in the kitchen, homes.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 20, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

So if its Moss, then a play to get Andre Johnson makes even more sense..I think Andre plus Donovan would be a match made in Hell for NFC East opponents..And a thickerer, more durable WR makes sense in the physical East..

Posted by: frak | May 20, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

So, it was Moss..

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 20, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

The most important thing for Santana to do now is just come clean to the media.

Don't deny it or play the no comment game.

Posted by: Original_etrod | May 20, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

I guess we are going to be bringing in TO now...I wonder if Shanallen will cut Santana for this? I am just speculating, but if, big IF, Santana lied to them about being involved...I could see them dumping him. This sucks.

Posted by: mhartz1 | May 20, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | May 20, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

I'm with you, AH for AJ!

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 20, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

I hope it wasn't Moss. What's the chances this "source" of theirs who says it was him was just a drunken Jerry Jones? No one really believes what comes out of his mouth anymore, right?

Posted by: monk811 | May 20, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Monk you have to look at precedent and league rules Cushing was just suspended 4 games for a substance turning up in his urine that isnt even a "Steroid" just used to boost hormone levels after taking a cycle. What we know now is that Moss has been using HGH since 2007 receiving at least 50 treatments. Say what you will but was he "just trying to get back on the field" that whole time. I think not Moss knowingly used a banned substance for an extended period of time I have a feeling Goodell will not look kindly on it.

Posted by: TimmySmith36 | May 20, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Red, nobody said anything about MAKING anyone do anything. That's your creation right there. It sounds to me like you're just hellbent on going to war with someone and I'm the flavor of the day. So email me at brownwood26@yahoo.com, let me know where you'd like to meet, and we can either talk it out or kill each other trying.

Is that what you want to hear?

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 20, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | May 20, 2010 8:52 AM

I would sure love that, but I doubt Houston is going to part with him. Reports are he's already back at practice, so I doubt this thing gets contentious.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 20, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Santana Moss: "I'll talk about football. I don't know about nothing else. I ain't got nothing to do with nothing that ain't about me."

What's so "suggestive" or defensive about that?

Sounds like to me a man that's trying to keep his focus and trying to stay above the bs.

Am I missing something? Has he been implicated in anyway? "Unnamed sources" talking???

Posted by: RedDMV | May 20, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | May 20, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Careful, monk. Yesterday several folks took umbrage when I asked the same question.

Posted by: CynicalFan1 | May 20, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | May 20, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Well, the double negative could implicate him.

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 20, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Pretty funny Moss is on the cover of WaPo when it's probably him whos gonna get in trouble...

Posted by: Rypien11 | May 19, 2010 9:52 PM

Yup.

Posted by: Rypien11 | May 20, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

or you all could just HUG IT OUT...

I dont see the Texans getting rid of their best player for our overweight, non-teammate, loner...

Posted by: mhartz1 | May 20, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Schefter just stated it was Moss, and that expect this to be 8-10 games....yikes....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 20, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

The "Source" was the U.S. attorney prosecuting the case against Galea

Posted by: TimmySmith36 | May 20, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 20, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

I'd prefer a physical address myself.

Slow your roll, fam. No one is trying to knuckle up -- at least not today. All I'm saying is your pleas for personal or political comments/bashing to stop is improbable.

To think they will end altogether is outright delusional.

Just sayin', people are going to say what they want. If it bothers you that bad, ask 'CynicalFan' what the grievance process is.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 20, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

8-10 games ouch...wonder why so high, maybe b/c he has been getting away with it for years...wonder what other players in the NFL are going to be named if any.

I am waiting for all of the oh god, why did we get rid of Marko Mitchell, we need him now...

Posted by: mhartz1 | May 20, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

red?? This must have happened last night??

come on, name names....thats more fun...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 20, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse
________

Did you see the Laker game last night? Looks like we're headed for a Lakers-Celtics finals. I guess we'll see the answer to the Gasol - Garnett debate in a couple weeks.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | May 20, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

I tried posting the PFT report about Santana, but it wouldn't go thru...here's the link for those who can get to it:

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 20, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Santana gets a minimum 4 game suspension under the NFL drug policy for PED. The policy states that you will be suspended if you are linked to performance enhancing drugs for situations just like this.

Not sure that it will be more than 4 but with any high profile case and not knowing Santana's history you never know if Goodell will try and send a message.

Posted by: srobert1117 | May 20, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

If true, this is great, just great. As if we didn't already have a shortage of proven playmakers at WR.

Posted by: rbpalmer | May 20, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Good thing we just picked up some guys of the future in GALLOWAY and WADE. We should be set, um, wait......

Posted by: monk811 | May 20, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse